homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Glory   » ken - R.I.P. (Page 12)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12 

Source: (consider it) Thread: ken - R.I.P.
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh God

I didn't know

I'm so sorry

God bless and keep you, ken, and your loved ones too

XXX OOO

Amen

[Tear]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cup raised in salut here in Oz.
[Votive]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
CuppaT
Shipmate
# 10523

- Posted      Profile for CuppaT   Email CuppaT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nearly a month later and I did not know.
Memory Eternal. My prayers also for Ken and his family, and for all of us with broken hearts.

--------------------
Stand at the brink of the abyss of despair, and when you see that you cannot bear it any longer, draw back a little and have a cup of tea.
~Elder Sophrony

Posts: 919 | From: the edge of the Ozarks | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
MW report has been posted.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Photos from the funeral. I also put the other photos I have of ken in the same album.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nice to see the Ship logo displayed.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
MW report has been posted.

"Ken would have loved that it was Friday the 13th... " Totally!

Great last line. [Smile]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The family had prepared a beautiful order of service based on the 1662 Book of Common Prayer, featuring all the words needed and three wonderful photos of Ken.
During the tributes, we were told that they had scoured the Ship for typographical advice, finding the answer here.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The last line of the MW worship report really made me chuckle.

Good work everyone. Sounds like it was a wonderful send-off.

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I guessed at 400 present, according to ken's daughter, the church warden team reckoned 350. (I count service attendances regularly)

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to take issue with one bit of the report though with the presumption that those who didn't receive communion were "Labour Party types". This is extremely unfair. Ken had a lot of friends who wouldnt have identified as Christians, and a few in his own family. They weren't necessarily Labour Party types. Remember, Ken was one of those "Labour Party types" himself, as am I and, I suspect, many people who DID receive communion.

Apart from that, it's a great report.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Marvin made a telling comment at the pub afterwards, that he was actually rather disappointed that we didn't get to sing the Red Flag in the end;- it had been the only circumstances he could imagine where he would have been happy to sing such an anthem, since it espouses a political stance that is the antithesis to his own, but for Ken it was entirely fitting.

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jude
Shipmate
# 3033

- Posted      Profile for Jude   Email Jude   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I enjoyed Ken's contributions to the discussion boards. RIPRIG Ken.

--------------------
"...But I always want to know the things one shouldn’t do.”
“So as to do them?” asked her aunt.
“So as to choose,” said Isabel.
Henry James - The Portrait of A Lady

Posts: 233 | From: A town with four parishes | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The MW report was wonderful. Thank you to the "Tribes" who collaborated on it. Again, rest in peace, ken; and to all of you who loved him, my deepest sympathies.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Great report, thanks so much for doing it.

(Agree with Spike re the Labour Party types comment, could it be edited out? Also, a minor quibble, they weren't box pews.)

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
Originally posted by Yangtze:
Agree with Spike re the Labour Party types comment, could it be edited out?

The comment has been removed.

--------------------

Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

- Posted      Profile for Pants   Email Pants   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brilliant. Thank you for the MW and the photos, and to those who went representing the Ship. [Tear]

--------------------
Many big thank yous to those who sponsored us.

I use £6m of military hardware to find hidden Tupperware in the woods.

Posts: 15217 | From: A grown up house | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Deputy Verger
Shipmate
# 15876

- Posted      Profile for Deputy Verger   Email Deputy Verger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for taking out the Labour Party comment.

I also thought the numbers were closer to 300 but when I asked one of the wardens he said 225. I was sure it was more than that.

And Yangtze is right - they weren't box pews, but boxy, with partitions, and fixed, and bordered, kind of like the serif font equivalent of pews. I wonder if they might have had doors back in the day?

Posts: 475 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
The MW report was wonderful. Thank you to the "Tribes" who collaborated on it. Again, rest in peace, ken; and to all of you who loved him, my deepest sympathies.

I could not say that any better. Thanks to those of you who represented all of us at ken's funeral.
[Votive]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was such a privilege to be there - with ken, and God, infused throughout the service. I was fine, thinking I could hold it all together, and was flicking through the order of service before it all started, and then I saw the final hymn was to be The Red Flag, and that was it. Dammit ken, that was perfect.

Thank you for editing out that Labour Party comment on the MW - with that gone it is a brilliant reflection of the service. I hadn't realised that it was possible to edit MW reports once they were up, perhaps I'll contact Miss Amanda about a report of mine from 2006, there's something added by an editor which has always really bugged me!

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:
I hadn't realised that it was possible to edit MW reports once they were up, perhaps I'll contact Miss Amanda about a report of mine from 2006, there's something added by an editor which has always really bugged me!

By all means, PM me about it. I'm happy to consider requests to amend published reports -- not that I'll always agree, however. [Disappointed]

--------------------

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(sorry to hijack the thread) Thanks Miss Amanda, I've just checked the report, and the thing that had bugged me has already been changed. I honestly can't remember contacting anyone about it, so I wonder if it was someone from the church who objected and got it changed? (for the curious, and if it wasn't so spectacularly not-the-thing-to-have-called-him it would have been funny, the edited report referred to the minister of a Wee Wee Free church as 'Father', whereas when I had submitted the report I had referred to him as 'Revd MacLeod'. It's been changed to 'Pastor MacLeod' which I can live with. Actually I think ken might have found that quite amusing).

I was just thinking about ken's funeral again, and how he had had so much input into the service, and what a brilliant service it was, and it got me thinking I'd really like him to plan my funeral. And then I remembered... [Frown] Bugger.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Deputy Verger
Shipmate
# 15876

- Posted      Profile for Deputy Verger   Email Deputy Verger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, that reminds me of one of the things that distracted me was when I saw Ken's dates on the centre-spread photo and realised he was not that far off my own age. I decided it wasn't a bad bunch of hymns, and for the first time started thinking about my own funeral!

When someone's life is cut untimely short like that, you do realise it could happen to any of us.

Posts: 475 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
busyknitter
Shipmate
# 2501

- Posted      Profile for busyknitter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here are the photos that I took on Friday; mainly family snaps that may not mean much to other folk, but I did manage to get round and take a picture of each table in the pub garden, including the Ship contingent. There is also a shot of the amazing picture gallery put together by Ken's Labout Party friends.

Pictures from Ken's wake

Posts: 903 | From: The Wool Basket | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Persephone Hazard

Ship's Wench
# 4648

- Posted      Profile for Persephone Hazard   Author's homepage   Email Persephone Hazard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:
I was just thinking about ken's funeral again, and how he had had so much input into the service, and what a brilliant service it was, and it got me thinking I'd really like him to plan my funeral. And then I remembered... [Frown] Bugger.

The truth is, that has to a certain extent been...overstated. What he actually said to me was something more along the lines of "Just...do it properly. You know what I mean. Get it right. Proper Anglican funeral. All the traditional stuff. Just do it properly."

I had a *bit* more to work from than that, but not a lot. So you might be in luck ;-)

--------------------
A picture is worth a thousand words, but it's a lot easier to make up a thousand words than one decent picture. - ken.

Posts: 1645 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Persephone Hazard:
... Proper Anglican funeral. All the traditional stuff. Just do it properly."

I sincerely hope that's what my nearest and dearest would do for me - I couldn't ask for more.

Although I didn't know Ken, I found the MW report very moving; I was reminded of my brother-in-law's funeral. Although in a different tradition (he was a Baptist), the circumstances were similar: he was about the same age, he'd been a deacon in the church, they had to bring in extra seats and there was a certain sense of light-heartedness and hope.

Once again, RIP. [Votive]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

- Posted      Profile for Divine Outlaw   Author's homepage   Email Divine Outlaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was a good send-off for a good man. RIP [Votive]

--------------------
insert amusing sig. here

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Read a lot of Ken's posts over the years, wish I'd been there for the send-off; may take some hints from him to use in thirty years time if I live to be ninety as my aunt already has! My grandparents were Anglican as is my wife to this day....

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Sitting in the pub garden reminded me that ken's most recent photos were from there - and of so many other things that interested him.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gracious rebel:
Marvin made a telling comment at the pub afterwards, that he was actually rather disappointed that we didn't get to sing the Red Flag in the end;- it had been the only circumstances he could imagine where he would have been happy to sing such an anthem, since it espouses a political stance that is the antithesis to his own, but for Ken it was entirely fitting.

There's a time for political principles, and there's a time to just sing the damn song.

And it would have been his last, greatest joke at my expense, which is why I was a bit disappointed it didn't happen.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It occurs to me that the order of service does not say whether the water sprinkled over the coffin was holy, or otherwise. I suspect the Bishop of Woolwich who administered it, also provided it, in which case, he presumably would have blessed it beforehand. Bearing in mind that Christian ceremononial is supposed to be right-handed, I seem to remember noticing he moved round the coffin in the opposite direction. Dare I say it with no undertones intended - widdershins.

--------------------
Joyeuses Pâques! Frohe Ostern! Buona Pasqua! ¡Felices Pascuas! Happy Easter!

Posts: 1946 | From: Surrey UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A moving report, thank you.
So glad so many shipmates attended.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ditto - wish I could have been there. Would have loved to see marvyn the M join in the Red Flag - there are so few of us 'left' who know the words.

Re- 'holy' water (without wishing to trespass too much on Ecclesiantics matters) sprinking is a reminder of baptism so it matters not whether the water was blessed IMO.

As regards widdershins, my vicar is left-handed so censes and asperses in 'the wrong direction' too. Which is right for him.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ecclesiastical Flip-flop:
It occurs to me that the order of service does not say whether the water sprinkled over the coffin was holy, or otherwise.

According to the Bishop, it was holy.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Which hymns got chosen, in the end? (excuse curiosity)
Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
busyknitter
Shipmate
# 2501

- Posted      Profile for busyknitter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by welsh dragon:
Which hymns got chosen, in the end? (excuse curiosity)

And Can It Be
Jerusalem
Amazing Grace
Be Thou My Vision
The Red Flag (sung at the graveside, as already mentioned)

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is really sad. I've only just found out, through seeing the MW report. I was abroad most of May and haven't been on the Ship much since I got back.

I never met Ken, but he talked a lot of sense and wisdom. He also said it well. I'm sure there would have been things we'd have disagreed on, but I felt he was someone I'd like to have known - and now on this side of the great divide, I never shall.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Only just saw this. Very sad news. RIPRIG ken [Votive]

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I came back from some shoreleave and was so sad to see this news. I was very fond of Ken.

I can't imagine him being somewhere he can no longer enjoy a good argument, but I'm sure he's taken it in his stride.

[Tear]

Posts: 2138 | From: South, UK | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
busyknitter
Shipmate
# 2501

Oops, I just realised I had the privacy settings wrong on my Flickr page of the wake. [Big Grin] Those that want to see them, please try again.

Photos

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016