homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Glory   » ken - R.I.P. (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12 

Source: (consider it) Thread: ken - R.I.P.
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"I preached as never sure to preach again and as a dying man to dying men."

Richard Baxter

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
koshatnik
Shipmate
# 11938

- Posted      Profile for koshatnik   Email koshatnik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh no.
Posts: 467 | From: top of the pops to drawing the dole | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

- Posted      Profile for Divine Outlaw   Author's homepage   Email Divine Outlaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Desperately sad. May he rest in peace. Prayers also for Persephone and all those mourning a thoroughly nice, decent, and thought-provoking man. [Votive]

--------------------
insert amusing sig. here

Panda
Shipmate
# 2951

- Posted      Profile for Panda   Email Panda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]
Love and prayers. Rest in peace, ken.

Posts: 1637 | From: North Wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
May he rest in peace and rise in glory and may God comfort those who mourn their loss.
[Votive]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...... and weeping o'er the grave we make our song: Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia.

For Ken, for PH and all the family. Such a gift, such a loss. In grief let us not fall away from you Lord.

[Votive]

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just heard about this via a friend from Cix, where I first 'met' ken [Frown]

Love and sympathies to all, he'll be much missed by a very wide community.

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He was a man of brilliant wit and compassion. I will miss him greatly. RIP Ken.

--------------------
"Many people say I embarrass them with my humility" - Archbishop Peter Akinola
Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/toujoursdan

Posts: 3734 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ken. Rest in Peace.

[Votive]

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Ps 23:6 KJV

Prayers for his mother, daughter, brother and sister and all other members of his family.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ken will be missed, so much.

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, ken. [Waterworks]

When such a man goes peacefully, we know he's truly gone.

Go well.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Malin

Shipmate
# 11769

- Posted      Profile for Malin   Email Malin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Til we meet again Ken. Many thanks for the wise words and help youve given me that you are probably unaware of. Yours posts have always been so worth reading.

Enjoy the life hid with Christ in its new chapter.

Love and comfort to all who will miss you dreadfully.

--------------------
'Is it a true bird or is it something that exists within a-'
'It's a thing that is,' said Granny sharply. 'Don't go spilling allegory all down your shirt.' Terry Pratchett

Posts: 1901 | From: Norwich | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
{{{{{{{Ken and all who love him}}}}}}}

May the Fools of the Celestial Ship welcome him.

[Votive]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] We shall not see his like again. [Votive]

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
mrs whibley
Shipmate
# 4798

- Posted      Profile for mrs whibley     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
I long for a faith that is gloriously treacherous - Mike Yaconelli

Posts: 942 | From: North Lincolnshire | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

- Posted      Profile for Hazey*Jane   Email Hazey*Jane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What sad news. He was an integral part of the Ship.

Thoughts and prayers with him and his loved ones.
[Votive] [Frown]

Posts: 4266 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Percipient words from the man himself (his comments on his Easter sermon)
quote:
People are always very nice so I can never be sure how a sermon goes down (perhaps that is a mercy) but some seemed very moved by it.

A few rather odd reactions that I did not expect. One person said I seemed to be "on fire" with what I was saying. I hardly know how to take that. I felt quite calm and very tired. The curate said that part of it reminded him of the Orthodox Kontakion for the Dead. Which was not in my mind at all.

He was in God's hands all along. Pray for us, Ken, as we will for you. [Votive]
Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Farewell ken. Until we meet on the renewed ship in the new seas and new dockyard... [Votive]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]
Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He also said this on 26 February, on a thread about what you would do if you only had a year to live:

quote:
It is possible that I am actually in this situation. Been thinking about it for some months. To my surprise I find I want to carry on as normally as possible. Even going to work.

There are of course those unwritten books howling to be born...

here

[ 19. May 2014, 12:04: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another one shocked and saddened by this news. I was in Ken's part of London last year, and thought of him with a smile as I went past the parade of Sri Lankan shops on the bus to Lewisham station.

Persephone and Busyknitter, I am very sorry for your loss and that of all those who mourn Ken.

Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All powers of high imagining here failed.
But now my will and my desire were turned,
as wheels that move in equilibrium,
by love that moves the sun and other stars.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
iGeek

Number of the Feast
# 777

- Posted      Profile for iGeek   Author's homepage   Email iGeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lord have Mercy - and welcome home, Ken.

Love, prayers and hopes for good memories and laughter to those who grieve. He is known and remembered and respected all over the world - not too shabby.

[hoists pint silently]

Posts: 2150 | From: West End, Gulfopolis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So sorry to hear this - Ken's posts were always worth a serious read, even when we disagreed. Truly a great voice on the Ship. RIP, Ken.

[Votive]

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
wanderingstar
Shipmate
# 10444

- Posted      Profile for wanderingstar   Email wanderingstar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I never met Ken (I think I sat next to him outside the Jesus Arms once) but from my first day lurking aboard I've been struck, skewered and inspired by his wit, wisdom, honesty and goodness.

I will always miss his presence here. For his family & friends, I can barely imagine: [Votive]

Rest in peace, Ken. I hope one day I'll sit next to you again.

--------------------
You know what you shouldn't have done? You should never have let me press all those buttons...

Posts: 273 | From: Hollow lands and hilly lands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
May his memory be eternal! [Votive]

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Those heavenly shipmeets are gonna be amazing [Tear]

[Votive] Rest eternal, Ken, and God's comfort to all who loved you.

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1126 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And even you, most gentle Death,
You wait to hush our final breath,
You lead the child back home to God,
For Christ our lord this way has trod.

Ken has been led back home to God. I will miss him.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope this link works

This photo was taken on my 40th birthday. The fact that Gambit is also in the picture makes it especially poignant.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] May Ken rest in peace and rise with Christ in glory.
Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've got a few photos of ken - a couple already up on Flickr here when Kelly was over a few years ago, and here at the Third Gambit meet. But there are more at home - two in particular I'll find and put up: one with ken looking at plants at Kew and the other with a phone in hand posting on the Ship in the Mulberry Bush at the Ender's Shadow meet.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So sorry. [Frown] Peace, ken.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

Shit shit shit.

Rest in peace and rise in glory, Ken.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Persephone Hazard, I am praying for you, dear. And all of his family. And for him as he goes into heaven with God.

Such a smart guy, I mean Ken was brilliant. Always corrected me! On the ship, on my facebook, and I am a better person for it! So young. [Frown] Rest in peace, Ken.

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
It is well, it is well with my soul... - It Is Well with My Soul

[Votive]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]
Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor rulers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

[Votive] Rest in peace, ken. And thank you.

[Votive] For Persephone Hazard, for busyknitter, and for all who knew and loved him.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adrienne
Shipmate
# 2334

- Posted      Profile for Adrienne   Email Adrienne   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]
Posts: 977 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Robertus Liverpolitanae
Shipmate
# 12011

- Posted      Profile for Robertus Liverpolitanae   Email Robertus Liverpolitanae   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
Once the Government approves something, it stops being immoral
Rev Tim Lovejoy

Posts: 558 | From: homeward bound | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just been reading the thread on trigger-warnings and found myself scrolling down, looking for ken's avatar becaue I thought he'd have something worthwhile to say. It is going to be very strange here without him. Never met him or even AFAIK crossed swords with him on the boards but I am already missing him terribly.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I lie down in peace; at once I fall asleep; for only you, LORD, make me dwell in safety. [Votive]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
snowgoose

Silly goose
# 4394

- Posted      Profile for snowgoose   Email snowgoose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Waterworks] [Votive]

--------------------
Lord, what can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the Reaper Man? --Terry Pratchett

Save a Siamese!

Posts: 3868 | From: Tidewater Virginia | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The shadow of death lies upon your face, beloved,
but the Jesus of grace has His hand around you;
in nearness to the Trinity farewell to your pains,
Christ stands before you and peace is in His mind.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] I am glad his end was peaceful, I will hold you all in my thoughts.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Frown] [Votive]

Holding ken's family in prayer. [Votive]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] Rest in peace, ken, and rise in glory.

[Votive] For all who will mourn him.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016