homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Glory   » Suddenly nervous - Ken's last thread

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Suddenly nervous - Ken's last thread
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We're in an interregnum, no vicar.

And have had some delays putting together worship rota.

And for the first time ever - about five minutes ago - I'm down to preach at the main service on Easter Morning. With only three weeks to go. And I suddenly feel very nervous about it.

I've done Christmas before two or three times and in a way that's easy because there are a few such obvious things to say. But right now I am a bit queasy.

(This is more a request for prayer than sermon ideas!)

[ 16. June 2014, 16:19: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive]

This is what God has called you to. Rely on the Holy Spirit to a) bring you the right words and b) give you strength. All shall be well.

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We're in an interregnum too. Sending thoughts and good wishes your way. You'll do great. [Smile]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's not a bad thing, to be nervous. Easter is big. But you've got the gifts you need, and you've got God working with you, and now you've got yourself a whole lot of prayer too. I for one would love to be in that congregation, hearing what you have to say.

There's others here could do it far better than I could, but if you want to run anything by someone, feel free to PM. Not that you'll need to. [Smile]

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My only regret is that I shall be otherwise occupied. Or I would take the opportunity to pop over and hear your sage words. [Razz]

The first time I preached on Easter Sunday I had to do three services and wrote five sermons! Just treat it as an ordinary Sunday and not your opportunity to share with your flock the definitive understanding of the resurrection. You're an evangelical so you can talk for twenty minutes, if you feel so moved, but there is no reason to add a posthumous volume to the Church Dogmatics.

Good Luck!

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We have a tradition of singing the Hallelujah Chorus as the Gospel Acclamation on Easter Sunday, and our recently-retired Bishop always used to start his sermon by saying something like, "the choir has just summed up what I was going to say".

Not that he stopped there, you understand ... [Big Grin]

I'm sure you'll be fine - God wouldn't have put you in that position if He didn't mean you to get it right.

Good luck!

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

- Posted      Profile for Steve Langton   Email Steve Langton   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The church I'm with is also in an 'interregnum'; and one of the things we've been querying is the use of the word 'interregnum', which literally means 'between kings'.

Our King is Jesus, he hasn't gone away anywhere! To think in terms of a pastoral vacancy being an 'interregnum' both puts the pastor/clergyman on too high a pedestal, and makes too big a deal of being without such a pastor, in a way which isn't good for the morale of the congregation. As witness ken's nervousness....

This issue is becoming quite important in our denomination as apart from anything else, full time paid ministry is increasingly difficult to support; many people are moving towards the concept of ministry by teams of people who also have conventional jobs.

Posts: 2245 | From: Stockport UK | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Langton:
The church I'm with is also in an 'interregnum'; and one of the things we've been querying is the use of the word 'interregnum', which literally means 'between kings'.

Our King is Jesus, he hasn't gone away anywhere! To think in terms of a pastoral vacancy being an 'interregnum' both puts the pastor/clergyman on too high a pedestal, and makes too big a deal of being without such a pastor, in a way which isn't good for the morale of the congregation. As witness ken's nervousness....

This issue is becoming quite important in our denomination as apart from anything else, full time paid ministry is increasingly difficult to support; many people are moving towards the concept of ministry by teams of people who also have conventional jobs.

Interregnum is just the technical term (in the Anglican church at least) and nobody is under the impression that clergy are actually kings.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

In the TEC it is called an interim, which is a bald statement of fact.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Don't understand why you're preaching: the celebrant should preach - simple.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:

Not our habit, hasn't been for years. Previous incumbent much preferred having one person lead the liturgy, and another preach. There are advantages to both ways of doing it.

--------------------
Ken

Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

- Posted      Profile for Steve Langton   Email Steve Langton   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
originally by Jade Constable;
Interregnum is just the technical term (in the Anglican church at least) and nobody is under the impression that clergy are actually kings.

I know that; but it's not a very helpful technical term because of its implications. ken in his present situation needs to understand that being in an 'interregnum' doesn't mean his church is in some feeble state about which to be nervous. He needs to know that the risen Jesus is KING and isn't going away, can't go away, and will be with him in his efforts to preach. That is SO-O-O-O the Easter Message!
Posts: 2245 | From: Stockport UK | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

It's very common for others to preach in evangelical circles.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
quote:
originally by Jade Constable;

I know that; but it's not a very helpful technical term because of its implications. ken in his present situation needs to understand that being in an 'interregnum' doesn't mean his church is in some feeble state about which to be nervous. He needs to know that the risen Jesus is KING and isn't going away, can't go away, and will be with him in his efforts to preach. That is SO-O-O-O the Easter Message!
It has no implications for anyone else though - I don't think such pedantry is very helpful here. Interregnums can be very uncertain times for churches and it is understandable that Ken has some nervousness about it. If you don't like the term then don't use it, but it is a useful term for many others and not everyone feels the need to make it into a big deal - please respect others' right to use terms they think are helpful, even if they have negative implications for you personally. And I'm sure Ken is aware of the Easter message, and as an evangelical will certainly not be hesitant to preach on the realities of the Resurrection.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And I think that Steve Langton was making an encouraging point- that just because a church has a lack of usual leadership at the moment, it certainly isn't leaderless. Rest serene. In fact such reflection might be a good talking point in a Resurrection sermon for such a congregation.

So stick to your pendantic guns, Steve. [Smile]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
People are mostly very understanding during an Interregnum, so if things don't go completely according to plan, there is a lot of support. This week we had a visiting celebrant who got a little lost at one point and called out, 'Could someone please tell me what I am supposed to be doing here?' Not even the usual wags called back, 'And also with you!' Instead, someone helped out and all then proceeded according to plan. It all ended up fine.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[tangent]
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
... Not even the usual wags called back, 'And also with you!' ...

Visiting preacher (tapping microphone): There's something wrong with the PA system.

Congregation: And also with you.

[/tangent]

ETA: I'm sure your congregation wouldn't be so ungallant. [Smile]

[ 27. March 2014, 02:49: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive]

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

When there is a vacancy, it is far easier to persuade a retired priest to celebrate than it is to ask him/her to preach as well.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
When there is a vacancy, it is far easier to persuade a retired priest to celebrate than it is to ask him/her to preach as well.

Unless the retired priest loves to preach, in which case he might preach for more than an hour.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
quote:

Might be true, but irrelevant. We are not short of priests, we have a training curate, a priest in secular employment who is licenced to the parish, and a retired NSM.

Its a positive choice to have a different person preach from whoever is presiding. When we did have an incumbent that is what we usuall did.

--------------------
Ken

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I hope our little tangents have distracted you from your nervousness, ken. [Biased]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curious
Shipmate
# 93

- Posted      Profile for Curious   Email Curious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Really? Not the case in the Church of England.

Curious

--------------------
Erin - you are missed more than you could know. Rest in peace and rise in glory - to provide unrest in the heavenly realms.

Posts: 1372 | From: Betwixt and between | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
ken,
enjoy your preaching and may they all like to hear you preaching and enjoy it. Good you can preach!

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Says who?

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

The only time I can remember the celebrant preaching at ours was when the Bishop decided he wanted to do both, but we've got two paid clergy and three non-stipendiaries, so there's rarely a need for the same person to do both.

--------------------

Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry to drag up this old thread, but I'm in a similar position to ken and it seemed better to use this rather than start a new one.

A couple of weeks ago, I agreed to do an assembly about Easter at our local infant school (which my oldest daughter attends), which will be the first assembly I've ever done, anywhere. And it's suddenly hit me that this is happening tomorrow and a whole bag of nerves have suddenly hit me.

It's not the first time I've had contact with the school in similar ways: they come every year to our carol service, they've done a couple of visits to our church as part of their RE (when we've managed to tempt them away from the parish church [Devil] ) and I went in last year to do a re-telling of the Easter story with the Year 1s.

But doing a proper assembly feels... different... and nerve-wracking. So if you could spare a prayer for me, tomorrow morning, before 200 5-7 year olds I'd be very grateful!

Oh and ken: I love preaching on Easter Sunday - enjoy it, you'll be fine. [Votive]

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is it a State School or a CofE (either Voluntary Aided or Controlled) one? In my experience what you can usually say and do in each is somewhat different.

IME you can usually assume that Christian speaking will be acceptable in a CofE (VA) school, while in the others you have to take more of a "Christians believe that ..." approach.

In any case you can't "proselytise", But you will know your school anyway. Hope it goes well!

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks! It's a state school, so the "Christians believe" approach is on my mind. I am looking forward to it, but know I'll be exceedingly nervous tomorrow morning...

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gildas:
Just treat it as an ordinary Sunday ...

Not sure I quite agree with this. (Says someone else who's about to preach his first Easter Sunday). A lot of people go to church on Easter that never or rarely go the rest of the year. Hence, I would treat it as a prime time for an evangelistic sermon. Certainly, that would mean I would affirm your point about avoiding an overly didactic style. But, it would also be different from my usual presumption: that I preach as a person of faith within, to and for a community that shares my faith, in celebration of our common faith and as worship of the God we all adore. Easter Sunday would be one of those times I would imagine my audience as not sharing my faith, allowing for the ones that do to overhear.

Not to up the pressure or anything...

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Personally I think that both ken and Stejjie have God-given opportunities for learned dissertations on variant sigla and bar-umlaut alternatives in codices of the Proto-Alexandrian family of deutero-Pauline witnesses, with special attention to the Oxyrhynchus Papyri.

That should give 'em something to think about. [Snigger] Then you won't have to do it next year.

More seriously, [Votive] , both: it is a wonderful privilege to rumour resurrection in word and action. Go well.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Zappa, dear, are you one of those clergymen whose sermons I would really enjoy if only I could understand what the blazes they were on about?

[Big Grin]

We have one here who's a retired professor of linguistics, and he's brilliant when he gets on to the etymology of a particular word, phrase or passage, even if some of what he says goes way over my head ...

--------------------

Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
Personally I think that both ken and Stejjie have God-given opportunities for learned dissertations on variant sigla and bar-umlaut alternatives in codices of the Proto-Alexandrian family of deutero-Pauline witnesses, with special attention to the Oxyrhynchus Papyri.

Do you know the actions to that?

quote:
More seriously, [Votive] , both: it is a wonderful privilege to rumour resurrection in word and action. Go well.
Thank you!

--------------------

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:

Unless the retired priest loves to preach, in which case he might preach for more than an hour.

Moo

Only if The End has come and I'm in the Hot Place.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Or else he could have converted after retirement to the One True Branch of the Church, where sermons do run for an hour ... [Devil]
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

My question was inspired by something that happened when I was in college. There was a retired Episcopal priest in the community, and the Episcopal chaplain asked him if he was willing to help at the students' Easter service.

He really wanted help in distributing the elements because in those days only a priest could do it. When he was asked, the retired priest's face lit up, and he said, "I know, you want me to preach the sermon." The chaplain couldn't say no, but he did warn the priest that the sermon was supposed to be only ten minutes long.

It lasted forty-five minutes, and I've never heard anything like it. Afterwards we conjectured that he had written a sermon every week since he retired, and he was giving us a sentence or two from each. We were all in a stupor until he bellowed the word, "Love". That woke us up, but it was very hard not to giggle.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So how did it go, Ken?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

People are always very nice so I can never be sure how a sermon goes down (perhaps that is a mercy) but some seemed very moved by it.

A few rather odd reactions that I did not expect. One person said I seemed to be "on fire" with what I was saying. I hardly know how to take that. I felt quite calm and very tired. The curate said that part of it reminded him of the Orthodox Kontakion for the Dead. Which was not in my mind at all.

Used old AV for familiar words and more literal translation and "sense of occasion". not NIV like pew Bibles.

Afterwards I was exhausted. Barely made it to end of the church without falling asleep. I had to ask for a lift home even though its only a few hundred yards. Abigail (my daughter) came home with me but I could hardly talk to her. Lay down on couch and slept for four hours. Was OK after that though.

--------------------
Ken

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Good on you. And well done for using the AV - I wouldn't use anything else, but there are certain passages (the Christmas ones spring to mind, but the Easter Gospel as well) which are so ingrained in one's mind that reading from any other version may as well be running fingernails down a blackboard.

Happy Easter! [Smile]

--------------------

Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well done Ken. If God was seen through you in the sermon, hence the 'on fire' remark, that's all anyone can hope for.

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ags

Knocked up
# 204

- Posted      Profile for Ags     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Glad it went well & hope you've recouped a bit of energy now [Votive]

--------------------
I think that we are most ourselves at our best, because that is what God intended us to be. The us we really like, the us that others love to be with. Moth

Posts: 2707 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well Done, ken.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

Well done. Next time, we'll send round the Mystery Worshipper!

--------------------

Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

Yes, well done ken! [Yipee]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... we'll send round the Mystery Worshipper!

Do you want to scare the poor chap completely witless? [Eek!]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This thread will shortly be transferred to Glory along with the two other Ken related threads here. I am leaving it locked as I think it would be inappropriate to add to it now.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016