homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  New poll  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » Chapter & Worse   » Leviticus 21:21... No man that hath a blemish...

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Leviticus 21:21... No man that hath a blemish...
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Verse nominated by Ann

"No man that hath a blemish of the seed of Aaron the priest shall come nigh to offer the offerings of the LORD made by fire: he hath a blemish; he shall not come nigh to offer the bread of his God." (Leviticus 21:21, in context)

Ann comments: This one is a serious submission -- the intent is elaborated by verses 19 and 20, where it lists several of the "blemishes" that make one unfit to come near the bread of God, including a "crookback." Having scoliosis, it's always felt like a personal rejection to me. (Of course, being a woman, I guess this particular verse doesn't exempt me, since it's "no man" -- but there are plenty of other verses that exempt on gender grounds.)

How much of a problem is this verse? Click "Vote Now" to cast your vote!

[ 29. July 2009, 09:27: Message edited by: Simon ]

Poll information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 50 user(s) have voted.
You can't view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote now     View poll results

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just hate religious purity laws. Get rid of them all!

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, so on the Abram thread I talked about certain verses being problematic, but great thought provokers.

Nothing doing here. No redeeming value. Doesn't give me a good read on what God is like, but gives me the feeling that hanging out with priest who congratulated themselves on filling this criteria must have been a screaming bore. Backs up the Hollywood/ Silicon Valley bullshit that says how you are physically made defines your character and worth-- a total lie that needs no supporting.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, before people start chomping on my toes, let me say that I don't care for this bit either. SO DON'T BLAME ME FOR IT.

Whew.

Now, as for why.

It is in effect an object lesson. (cue groans) That's right, one about perfection. In this case, physical perfection is standing in for moral perfection, aka holiness. The point, as far as I can make out, is to push the Israelites along the road of realizing how damn few people meet those standards, either physical or moral. (IIRC, zits also disqualified a priest--which would let out how much of the younger lot?)

Also, it's worth noting that people who were disqualified from service were NOT disqualified from the fruits of it, that is, drawing a temple salary (=right to eat the offerings and prob. have a share in any financial gifts distributed as well). They are specifically allowed this support in the Law, and no one is to take it from them. So God is not taking the teaching bit far enough to imperil people's livelihoods.

As for why teach this way in the first place, you have to remember what he's dealing with--a ragtag mob of ex-slaves with a totally-destroyed culture (with the exceptions of some bits of Egyptian idolatry, etc.). From this he has to create a whole new culture, worldview, unified nation, etc. Not an easy task. People attempting the same in modern times are having a darn hard time of it.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it's John Ortberg in Everybody's Normal Until You Get To Know Them who says that all the purity laws can be summed up as 'No Oddballs Allowed' - and then Jesus came to show us that actually, we're all oddballs, which is why we need Jesus.

Not sure that makes up for all those hours with the zit cream, though ...!

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
...all the purity laws can be summed up as 'No Oddballs Allowed' - and then Jesus came to show us that actually, we're all oddballs, which is why we need Jesus.

[Big Grin] AMEN!

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At the very least, it sets up the prophetic tradition, in which Jesus stood firmly, to be able to give us precedent for the fact that the worshiping community can, when necessary, modify its own rules.

[/channeling Hooker]

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
I think it's John Ortberg in Everybody's Normal Until You Get To Know Them who says that all the purity laws can be summed up as 'No Oddballs Allowed' - and then Jesus came to show us that actually, we're all oddballs, which is why we need Jesus.

Not sure that makes up for all those hours with the zit cream, though ...!

Sounds like Philip Yancey in What's So Amazing About Grace?. I haven't read the other book but I do know the quote!

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It struck me that the other creture which had to be without spot was the Passover sacrificial lamb. Was there a subtext to the priest's duties?

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, certainly. You may remember that the Levites (of which the priests were a subset) were originally given over to God (dedicated, set aside, hallowed, made an offering of) in the place of the firstborn sons of Israel at the time of the Exodus. In other words, they served as substitutes for all the kids/adults who would have perished during the tenth plague if God had not "passed them over." In fact, I believe there were 273 Israelite firstborns too many when they ran the census, so those people had to pay a kind of redemption tax.

Now of course on the night of the Exodus, it was the Passover lamb that lost its life in the place of the firstborn Israelites. So you have a kind of equivalency thing going, with

slain lamb = firstborn Israelite = living and wholly dedicated priest/Levite.

And the whole lot of them serving as symbols of Jesus Christ, who is himself the Lamb who was slain, our ever-living Priest, and the greatest of the sons of Israel.

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
CrookedCucumber
Shipmate
# 10792

- Posted      Profile for CrookedCucumber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can we vote to excise the whole of Leviticus? :/
Posts: 2718 | From: East Dogpatch | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
BWSmith
Shipmate
# 2981

- Posted      Profile for BWSmith     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No excising. This is nothing more than a command that the sacrificial system should be run by the best and the brightest of the Levites.

There are lots of churches out there that are run by the "blemished", and that perpetuates a serious stereotype: that Christianity is only for life's incompetent losers...

Posts: 722 | From: North Carolina, USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

I'm comfortable with that! [Devil]

--------------------

HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think there are similar restrictions on the succession of (not priests, but) ancient kings in various cultures: the heir must be physically perfect. I seem to recall some Germanic tribe that could not accept their young prince because he had lost a finger.
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
k-mann
Shipmate
# 8490

- Posted      Profile for k-mann   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BWSmith:
No excising. This is nothing more than a command that the sacrificial system should be run by the best and the brightest of the Levites.

There are lots of churches out there that are run by the "blemished", and that perpetuates a serious stereotype: that Christianity is only for life's incompetent losers...

I think you have a point here; some places I have been to is said to be 'open for everyone.' But the atmosphere there - and the comments from some of the people there - seemed to say: 'all is welcome except those evil, selfish rich people.'

--------------------
"Being religious means asking passionately the question of the meaning of our existence and being willing to receive answers, even if the answers hurt."
— Paul Tillich

Katolikken

Posts: 1314 | From: Norway | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BWSmith:

Great point! Not too big a jump from that to saying that churches are run by people who are suspect in general. Not actually people who are respected and admired.

The true meaning though, I think, is the simple truth that society is better off when composed of people who are are moral and kind, and worse off when it is full of people who are immoral and mean-spirited. Freely chosen evil is the only true "blemish".

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stowaway John
Shipmate
# 15469

- Posted      Profile for Stowaway John   Email Stowaway John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Jacobsen
quote:
It struck me that the other creature which had to be without spot was the Passover sacrificial lamb. Was there a subtext to the priest's duties?
Paul says the whole of the Law was a shadow of the reality that was to come in the messiah, so yeah a subtext to the spotless lamb throughout.;. Guess all the fuss over purity was to underline a thousand times over... you need help... everyone of you has the sin gene... creating a sense of need and anticipation. Without the severity of the law there could not have been grace.

--------------------
Step out of the boat.

Posts: 93 | From: North Wales | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Oreophagite
Shipmate
# 10534

- Posted      Profile for Oreophagite     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some of Torah is applicable to the whole of humanity (including Gentile converts to Christianity), other parts are only applicable to observant Jews. That was the point made at the First Council of Jerusalem.

This little gem is specific to the Aaronic priesthood, serving in the Tabernacle, and later, the Temple. The Temple is no more, and the Aaronic priesthood is dispersed. A lot of the Torah laws have lapsed because there is no Temple.

It isn't relevant to Christianity. Before the crucifixion, the High Priest renounced God by saying, "We have no king but Caesar," or whatever he actually said. The High Priesthood fell on Jesus, who is God, and who is unblemished in every way. So, those in Holy Orders who have scoliosis, or a bad case of acne, don't have to worry about this one.

There are lots of other things to worry about, though.

Posts: 247 | From: The Klipoth | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  New poll  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016