homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  New poll  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » Chapter & Worse   » Romans 9:20... Who are you to talk back to God?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Romans 9:20... Who are you to talk back to God?
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Verse nominated by Eliab

"But who are you, O man, to talk back to God? 'Shall what is formed say to him who formed it, "Why did you make me like this?"'" (Romans 9:20, in context)

Eliab comments: This verse says to me "Don't question, don't think, don't pay God the compliment of calling him to account for what seems injustice. Don't have the faith to challenge anything which is unworthily asserted of the supreme Good." It is morally and intellectually deadening.

It crops up in discussions about salvation and is always used as a lazy excuse for not questioning morality which, if asserted of anyone but God, would be rejected by everyone as atrocious. It reflects the sort of argument where debate and dissent are stifled because one side has managed to preface its ill-formed opinions with "God says..."

Who am I to talk back to God? One of his children, that's who. This prohibition has no authority over those who follow the faith of Abraham and demand, with him, that the Judge of all the Earth shall do right.

How much of a problem is this verse? Click "Vote Now" to cast your vote!

[ 31. July 2009, 10:58: Message edited by: Simon ]

Poll information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 41 user(s) have voted.
You can't view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote now     View poll results

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

- Posted      Profile for Hawk   Author's homepage   Email Hawk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Simon:
Eliab comments: This verse says to me "Don't question, don't think, don't pay God the compliment of calling him to account for what seems injustice. Don't have the faith to challenge anything which is unworthily asserted of the supreme Good." It is morally and intellectually deadening.

To me, it says that God is in control, He is what He is and we cannot call Him to account because we have no authority over him. This is a blindingly obvious truism though. How can we take God to court, he is not bound by our laws, our judgments? He is not bound by the Universe, let alone our temporary notions of morality. And Eliab’s idea that we can somehow compliment God by ‘calling him to account’ is an inherently ridiculous notion. For us to think we have any means or capability of “calling him to account” over what He is or what He does is logically impossible. Terry Pratchett writes of a mad king who tried to sentence a cloud to death for casting a shadow. He then ordered the execution of the cloud by firing cannon shells into the sky. (It had no effect on the cloud but many bystanders were killed.) This act would be plainly absurd and this verse is also pointing out the obvious absurdity in us trying to question God.

This verse is very good scripture because, used as it was intended, it is useful for bringing people with fanciful ideas down to earth again. Any of your attempts to question God or ‘call Him to account’ are as pointlessly absurd as firing cannon shells at clouds.

But it certainly doesn’t stop us trying to understand God, or thinking about Him and His ways. And we can certainly still try to challenge anything “unworthily asserted of the supreme Good.” It is certainly not intellectually deadening. It just helps to make sure we don’t go off into flights of fancy that we are capable of something we are plainly not capable of. We cannot control God. We cannot demand anything of God. To claim that we can is to be entirely deluded.

--------------------
“We are to find God in what we know, not in what we don't know." Dietrich Bonhoeffer

See my blog for 'interesting' thoughts

Posts: 1739 | From: Oxford, UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, that's pretty much what I hate about it. To defend this verse you are driven to asserting that God is not bound by morality.

Yes, he is.

God doesn't get to be a bastard just because he is God. Might is not right.

If something is asserted of God which seems wrong, we ought to object, and fiercely. That means, sometimes, talking back to him, like Abraham did, and Job, and Peter. We won't always be right (they weren't always right) but it is by following what light we have, that we receive more. We learn absolutely nothing by accepting evil just because it has somehow attached to itself the name of God.

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hm. I think there are strong parallels with Job here. From Job 38 onwards, you get huge chapters of Divine Sarcasm, with God saying in paraphrase "Go on, then, as you think you can tell me how to do it - do you know how to make a star? Do you understand how a donkey works? Not so clever now, are you, sunshine?" But the kicker is that He then goes on to ream all the "Comforters" who were trying to explain why God wanted all this to happen.

It's certainly a dangerous verse in the wrong hands, but it's also a puzzling one, because it seems to go against the grain of so much of the OT in particular. It seems extraordinary that someone with even the most basic knowledge of the Psalms (and I'm sure Paul had much more than a basic knowledge) would say such a thing.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Paul's words are the classic "Coz God (through me) says so - now shut up and get on with it!" that you can hear from any dodgy religious leader of this or any other age. That they've made it into the Canon - and are therefore considered to be Words From God - is hugely regrettable.

Remove!

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
Paul's words are the classic "Coz God (through me) says so - now shut up and get on with it!" that you can hear from any dodgy religious leader of this or any other age. That they've made it into the Canon - and are therefore considered to be Words From God - is hugely regrettable.

Remove!

Then what are Words from God?

--------------------
Some say that man is the root of all evil
Others say God's a drunkard for pain
Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden
Was burned to make way for a train. --Josh Ritter, Harrisburg

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bullfrog.:
Then what are Words from God?

Well, that's the kicker. But if we ever genuinely had a chance to remove verses we didn't like from Holy Writ, this (and others like it) would be very very near the top of my list.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And here's the thing-- if you open the Bible (OT especially) at random and throw a dart at it, chances are you will find a story involving some patriarch talking back to God. Paul seems to be trying to be more Catholic than the Pope, if you'll pardon the expression.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's remarkable how much Paul uses Wisdom of Solomon in Romans.

In this case, Wisdom 15.7 (NRSV):
quote:
A potter kneads the soft earth
and laboriously molds each vessel for our service,
fashioning out of the same clay
both the vessels that serve clean uses
and those for contrary uses,
making all alike;
but which shall be the use of each of them
the worker in clay decides.

Strangely, though, this is in the middle of a discourse on idolatry, and the potter here "With misspent toil ... form[s] a futile god from the same clay..." (v. 8)

I'm not sure if that could possibly shed any light on the Romans verse, but it seemed worth adding.

Returning to the theme of whether or not we can question God, there's a great book by Roy Eckhardt whose title I can't recall just now but it's about comedy and religion. He asserts that it's a part of the heritage of Hebrew religion & scriptures that you can call God "sonofabitch" (he adds, "and in these latter days, 'daughterofabitch'"). The reasoning he gives is that God can be laughed to shame; the devil can't. He compares God and the devil in several ways relating to comedy, and notes that only the devil can do theodicy - who else can justify evil?

I think this passage in Romans, if set in the wider biblical context which includes the very ambiguous Job (see above post) as well as characters like Abraham, Moses, Rachel, and others who have questioned God, serves more as a pole in a tension that is inherent in the paradox that we are called into close relationship with the One who is both wholly Other and closer to us than our own breath. It serves as a check on the tendency to disregard God when we don't agree with what we think God is up to; it calls us into relationship just as much as its opposite pole, which calls us to talk back to God. So I think the two poles of holding God accountable and humbly accepting God's will demarcate our relationship with God, and both poles will speak to different people at different times depending on their circumstances.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree that this one has value (or not) based on the circumstances in which it's being used. It's not for people who are already reeling under the weight of disaster and evil, or even, I think, for the righteously angry who are venting at God. Where it IS useful is with the self-satisfied little pricks who get too big for their britches and start demanding that God dance to their tune. (aside: so if you don't personally fall into that category, put down the flame thrower, kay?)

I'm going to draw a parallel. Most parents have had a child get mouthy on them at some highly inappropriate time. I certainly have. My usual response as an uber-cerebral weirdo is to talk it out--to painstakingly analyze just why that remark was inappropriate, what in the circumstances MADE it inappropriate, how said impropriety is to be avoided in the future, etc. etc. etc. by which point the mouthy child has expired of boredom--or at the very least, sworn to watch his tongue around Mom for fear of a repeat performance.

But there are a few occasions* where the impudence is so incredibly over the top (and in such inappropriate context) that the only proper response is Shock and Awe. You could slap them upside the head, but this is generally frowned upon. Short of that, you fix them with a beady eye and say, "DID I JUST HEAR THAT COME OUT OF YOUR MOUTH? WHO IS THE PARENT HERE, BUSTER?! IF I EVER HEAR YOU DISRESPECT YOUR MOTHER AGAIN,..." and so on, and so forth.

I had one last week, at an extremely difficult funeral (no details, think "attempted murder suicide" and you'll have some sense of the intensity though). And just as we were standing by the person most nearly concerned, Nameless Child (to protect the guilty) decided to come out with the most inappropriate wisecrack about the dead man you ever heard. Loudly. If that wasn't grounds for a slap, it was certainly grounds for a verbal one. And having been on the receiving end of such "slaps" as a mouthy child myself, I quickly learned some manners. And self-control, and concern for others.

And that, I think, is what Paul is up to. Romans is written in a kind of dialectical style, where his hypothetical audience is asking questions, arguing, etc. and that develops Paul's theme. Fine. But his hypothetical audience clearly includes some hecklers--not true questioners so much as smart ass SOBs. They get what they came for--and the only thing that might possibly crack their smart ass facade.

[ 11. August 2009, 01:31: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
sanityman
Shipmate
# 11598

- Posted      Profile for sanityman   Email sanityman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I note that v. 22 starts "What if..?" Given the hyperbolic rhetorical style that Paul can employ, I wonder if this whole section may not be viewed as a bit of a digression - a hypothetical "well, if God were like that, you still wouldn't have any grounds to argue."

Reading v. 19, the "One who says to me" does come over as a bit self-satisfied and snide. As a put-down in this context only I can take the point. To this extent, I agree with LC, although the reading where Paul smacks down his opponents using God's direct authority rather than his own (as an apostle: isn't that enough?) leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

I think that if you read this in a "dictated by God" way, it becomes a big problem. If you read it as the rhetorical flourishes of a (by all accounts) irascible rabbi, it is a lot more understandable. I'll let others say whether this is permissible from a "high view" of scripture.

- Chris.

--------------------
Prophesy to the wind, to the wind only for only the wind will listen - TS Eliot

Posts: 1453 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Found another source in wisdom literature, this time in Sirach (Ecclesiasticus) 33.10-13:

quote:
All human beings come from the ground,
and humankind was created out of the dust.
In the fullness of his knowledge
the Lord distinguished them
and appointed their different ways.
Some he blessed and exalted,
and some he made holy and brought near to himself;
but some he cursed and brought low,
and turned them out of their place.
Like clay in the hand of the potter,
to be molded as he pleases,
so all are in the hand of their Maker,
to be given whatever he decides.

This passage is also problematic: it is sandwiched between a section on God's providence, and a justification of slavery. There's a lot of problematic stuff in Sirach, though. Enough to make one extremely grateful for its status as deuterocanonical.

Interestingly, v. 16 sounds like something Paul would identify with: "Now I was the last to keep vigil; I was like a gleaner following the grape-pickers; by the blessing of the Lord I arrived first, and like a grape-picker I filled my wine press." So as with Paul, ben Sirach appears to have a sense of unworthiness and that any good in him (wisdom in ben Sirach's case; apostleship in Paul's) comes from God alone - so the principle expressed in Romans 9.20 applies to those who are good or find themselves in good circumstances as well.

FWIW

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think Paul is being Jewish here - was he a Jew? Rabbi Blue has noted that God's relationship with his people in the OT is that they are constantly slagging each other off - just like any other noisy and uninhibited family. "Oy, God, what the 'ell do you think you're playing at?" is certainly part of the tone. Just because Paul got immortalised along with the other protagonists of the NT doesn't mean the poor bugger was always right.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, he's a Jew of Jews all right. But this particular kind of rebuke isn't confined to one culture. I'm thinking of Prospero in the Tempest, when his daughter backtalks: "What, my foot my tutor?" And Vietnam, where a child who smarts off to his elders gets the overly subtle observation, "The rain falls UP."

And there's the Italian joke where the old woman goes to church and starts praying before a statue of Mary, when suddenly Christ on the cross starts answering her. What does she say? "You shuddup, now, and have some manners; I'm talking to your mother."

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
... was he a Jew?

[Eek!]

What?

Of course Paul is a Jew!. He goes on about it all the time. Its just about his main topic!

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
CrookedCucumber
Shipmate
# 10792

- Posted      Profile for CrookedCucumber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you kick out Rom 9:20, it seems to me that you have to kick out most of the rest of the chapter. After all, a lot of it says the same kind of thing.
Posts: 2718 | From: East Dogpatch | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's an idea: compare Romans 9:19-24 with Isaiah 5:1-7. This is the parable about God's vineyard. He constructed his vineyard so that it would bring forth good grapes, but instead it brought forth sour grapes. God did not predestine the vineyard to bring forth either good grapes or sour grapes. The vineyard (i.e. God's people) used their free-will to resist God's grace.

Then in verses 3 and 4 God says: "Judge please between me and my vineyard. What more could have been done to my vineyard that I have not done in it? Why then, when I expected it to bring forth good grapes, did it bring forth wild grapes?"

So God is actually inviting people to judge him, and to assess his ways of justice. He is concerned that people see that he is actually just (see also Ezekiel 18). Now I know that there are a multitude of verses in the Bible which seem to call into question God's justice, and I am also aware that my argument will hold no water with some people, who will conclude that I have simply revealed a contradiction in the Bible. Fair enough, but at least it shows that there is some counterweight to Romans 9.

I think Paul is using rhetorical questions in Romans 9 to get people thinking. Certainly we are commanded to seek understanding (Proverbs 4:7). There's a lot more that can be said about Romans 9 and predestination, but I don't want to be up all night... Some other time maybe.

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
DagonSlaveII
Shipmate
# 15162

- Posted      Profile for DagonSlaveII     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Greek for who answers back in this verse. It sounds a lot like back-talk.

I think with this filter:

I Cor. 9:24-27
quote:
24 Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win. 25 Everyone who competes in the games exercises self-control in all things. They then do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. 26 Therefore I run in such a way, as not without aim; I box in such a way, as not beating the air; 27 but I discipline my body and make it my slave, so that, after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified.
Basically, I'm to be in control of me. I need to quit focusing on why I was made the way I am, and go about and prepare myself for what comes next. Which is a great way to deal with psychological issues of any sort. It's hard to be depressed and full of self pity if I'm not focused on the whole "why me?" thing.

But really, in context, he's talking about vessels of destruction.

Let's look at Hitler for a moment:

Many of you have run across the arguments on whether or not Darwin Natural Selection was the cause of the Eugenics program used in the concentration camps. More of you may have come across the information that he used Christianity to further the hatred of the Jews. (Just referencing, not opening debate on it, as that's not my real point.) Throughout all arguments about the man, we study his every evil facet, and some of his less monstrous aspects, and wonder how such a man could be tolerated by God for so many years, or why he was even born. We tend to forget that not long before we went to war against Germany, Hitler was Time's Man of the Year. Before there were concentration camps, his ideology was adored. Then something changed, and he started wars with his neighboring countries, and most of that love for him vanished, although many did not start seeing him as a monster until nearer to the end--when we found out about the concentration camps. The humanity that agreed with him on so many things had to look at what they were buying into and face that it stank of burning flesh. Hitler was an example of how some ideologies can be wrong, especially when taken to their extreme. He is the epitome of a vessel made for destruction. Sadly, he's not the only warning given to us these past 100 years. You can tell who they are by how much destruction they leave in their wake, and often by how they are taken care of in the end. I find it sad that we have got to have such examples to know that there is some things that are wrong.

--------------------
Thanks for all the prayers for my not-yet-family. Please continue to pray for my future Brother-in-law's mum, she is still in the hospital, although doing better.

Posts: 138 | From: Houma | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
BWSmith
Shipmate
# 2981

- Posted      Profile for BWSmith     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kudos to Gumby - there's nothing said in this verse that isn't stated better in Job, (and Job also comes with the resolution to the problem).
Posts: 722 | From: North Carolina, USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  New poll  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016