homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  New poll  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » Chapter & Worse   » 1 Samuel 18:27... Say it with foreskins

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: 1 Samuel 18:27... Say it with foreskins
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Verse nominated by Pam Smith

"David and his men went out and killed two hundred Philistines. He brought their foreskins and presented the full number to the king so that he might become the king's son-in-law. Then Saul gave him his daughter Michal in marriage." (1 Samuel 18:27, in context)

Pam Smith comments: As the passage goes on to say that the Lord was with David, it seems he approved of killing 200 Philistines for their foreskins. I'm just really glad it's never cropped up in the lectionary when I've been preaching -- so far anyway! (To say nothing of the fact that Michal, his bride to be, loved him after he'd done it... what's wrong with a nice bunch of flowers and some chocolates?)

How much of a problem is this verse? Click "Vote Now" to cast your vote!

[ 03. September 2009, 19:29: Message edited by: Simon ]

Poll information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 33 user(s) have voted.
You can't view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote now     View poll results

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, how freaking cool would that be as a wedding lection.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Oh, how freaking cool would that be as a wedding lection.

Do NOT tempt me [Snigger]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was tempted to start a thread a while back on David's incredible confusion about being God's chosen king and being a total jackass.

Might go back to the earlier Samuel passage about how kings are a really really bad idea.

--------------------
Some say that man is the root of all evil
Others say God's a drunkard for pain
Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden
Was burned to make way for a train. --Josh Ritter, Harrisburg

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was sheer wasteful laziness, really. Foreskins could have been gathered without killing anyone. The involuntary donors might have had to be tied down, though. [Eek!]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
episcolib
Apprentice
# 13785

- Posted      Profile for episcolib   Email episcolib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The author of I Samuel shows a great sense of humor, here. [Devil]

--------------------
We have been with child, we have been in labour, but have brought forth wind. Is. 26:18

Posts: 49 | From: Indiana | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Simon:
quote:
Pam Smith comments: As the passage goes on to say that the Lord was with David, it seems he approved of killing 200 Philistines for their foreskins. I'm just really glad it's never cropped up in the lectionary when I've been preaching -- so far anyway! (To say nothing of the fact that Michal, his bride to be, loved him after he'd done it... what's wrong with a nice bunch of flowers and some chocolates?)
Funny that Michal approved of a bunch of bloody, human tissue bits as courting gifts, yet thought her husband dancing in his skivvies was undignified:
quote:
As the ark of the LORD came into the city of David, Michal the daughter of Saul looked out of the window and saw King David leaping and dancing before the LORD, and she despised him in her heart. 2Sam 6:16
She probably whined to him, "You never bring me any enemy foreskins anymore!" too, after he'd spent a hard day on the throne. Marriage changes everything. [Frown]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She: "You don't bring me foreskins"
He: "You don't like me naked"
Both: "Anymore..."

with apologies to Neil Diamond

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And Babs. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

BWSmith
Shipmate
# 2981

- Posted      Profile for BWSmith     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by episcolib:
The author of I Samuel shows a great sense of humor, here. [Devil]

^ this.
Posts: 722 | From: North Carolina, USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thankfully, this verse does not appear in the Revised Common lectionary - the preceding verses appear on the feast of S. Joseph and stop at verse 16.
Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's difficult to know why you'd want 200 foreskins really, but I suppose if your religion forbids you from making real pork scratchings, they might be turned into an acceptable substitute.

[ 31. January 2010, 07:56: Message edited by: Think² ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
kankucho
Shipmate
# 14318

- Posted      Profile for kankucho   Author's homepage   Email kankucho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Think²:
It's difficult to know why you'd want 200 foreskins really

It's a very versatile gift. You could stitch them together to make a nice handbag. Then just give the bag a quick rub and it turns into a suitcase.

[Big Grin]

[ 01. February 2010, 07:38: Message edited by: kankucho ]

--------------------
"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself" – Dr. Carl Sagan
Kankucho Bird Blues

Posts: 1262 | From: Kuon-ganjo, E17 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That was truly unforgiveable.

[Big Grin]

[Overused]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

It's a keeper. [Biased]

--------------------

Post new thread  New poll  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016