homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  New poll  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » Chapter & Worse   » 2 Kings 1:8... A girdle of leather about his loins

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: 2 Kings 1:8... A girdle of leather about his loins
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Verse nominated by David Branson

"And they answered him, He was an hairy man, and girt with a girdle of leather about his loins. And he said, It is Elijah the Tishbite." (2 Kings 1:8, in context)

David Branson comments: Sounds like the sort of hot bloke I'd meet in the right kind of bar, actually.

How much of a problem is this verse? Click "Vote Now" to cast your vote!

[ 03. September 2009, 19:30: Message edited by: Simon ]

Poll information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 36 user(s) have voted.
You can't view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote now     View poll results

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm failing to see what's ejectworthy about this at all. Can somebody enlighten me?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It says "loins." Duh. You're supposed to fall about snickering. Or maybe faint in shock. Do get with it.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And everyone knows that body hair is funny, duh!

--------------------
Some say that man is the root of all evil
Others say God's a drunkard for pain
Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden
Was burned to make way for a train. --Josh Ritter, Harrisburg

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
I'm failing to see what's ejectworthy about this at all. Can somebody enlighten me?

Oh, it's not ejectworthy at all! I love it! [Smile]

Hey, the whatsit said, "Which hallowed verse makes you laugh for all the wrong reasons?" So I suggested it. As well as the "pisseth against a wall" one on the other thread, though someone else beat me to one or two other similar naughty-sounding ones.

(And yes, that's my real name. Hi! [Smile] )

Seriously, did no one realize this was one of mine? I must be losing my touch... [Hot and Hormonal] I've used that as the "leatherman reference in the Bible" for years and years now. [Big Grin]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh DEAR! Runaway runaway runaway runaway...

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another vote that we keep the bear.

I was thinking of you this weekend, Chast. Did you know there was a big thing going on in Guerneville? Innocently walked right in on it.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*waves joyfully to Kelly!* [Smile]

It is so nice to be back. [Yipee]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anselm
Shipmate
# 4499

- Posted      Profile for Anselm   Email Anselm   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The description of John the Baptist in Mark 1 seems to be alluding to this description of Elijah - perhaps picking up the idea from the prophet Malachi that 'Elijah' would return to usher in the New Age - and that John the Baptist was this 'Elijah'.

--------------------
carpe diem domini
...seize the day to play dominoes?

Posts: 2544 | From: The Scriptorium | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
BWSmith
Shipmate
# 2981

- Posted      Profile for BWSmith     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Gayest" verse in all of 2 Kings?
Posts: 722 | From: North Carolina, USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  New poll  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016