homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's business   » Erin   » Funeral (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Funeral
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
Surprise! Preslyterian is here!
She walked up to me when the service ended!

Shetod me she might go but didn't want to say anything in case it didn't work out -- so glad she made it.

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am so touched by the number of shipmates who were able to attend Erin's funeral and by the efforts they made to get there. God bless you all and give you safe travels home.

I think I had good timing here.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Somebody in the Café mentioned that on Simon Mayo's show on BBC Radio 2 at 3.55pm local time (ie 5 minutes before the start of the funeral) they played See you later alligator. Can anyone get to the bottom of that?

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

- Posted      Profile for Tom Day   Author's homepage   Email Tom Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was on Steve Wright's show.The set list for Steve Wrights show is here I was almost not surprised if it had of been on Simon Mayo's show as he is a Greenbelter and a Christian and I am sure has heard of the ship.

--------------------
My allotment blog

Posts: 6473 | From: My Sofa | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

- Posted      Profile for Arrietty   Author's homepage   Email Arrietty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was me who mentioned it - and it was actually on the Steve Wright show, which comes just before the Simon Mayo show.

It can be heard for the next 7 days on the i-player (for those in the UK, anyway) at 1 h 54 m in.

There wasn't any explanation of why it was on - it wasn't a request - I think it was just a happy or holy coincidence.

It gave me a smile along with a [Frown] anyway!

--------------------
i-church

Online Mission and Ministry

Posts: 6634 | From: Coventry, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the link!

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Day:
It was on Steve Wright's show.The set list for Steve Wrights show is here I was almost not surprised if it had of been on Simon Mayo's show as he is a Greenbelter and a Christian and I am sure has heard of the ship.

It's perfectly feasible that he had a quiet word with Steve Wright and asked him to play the song at the appropriate time.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

- Posted      Profile for Arrietty   Author's homepage   Email Arrietty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
It's perfectly feasible that he had a quiet word with Steve Wright and asked him to play the song at the appropriate time.

Or even that someone involved in the show is a Ship member!

--------------------
i-church

Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
RE: the funeral.

It was well attended by over 250 people. From the ship were myself, Amanda B Reckondwythe, JediJudy and the Daughter Unit, Janine and the FG, and the surprise of the day, Presleyterian!
It was an Anglican service, a Baptist preacher and a person from her office gave a eulogy, her stepmother, Amanda B. and I all spoke.
What I told the people was that people all over the world loved Erin, and she loved you back. Her work told us how 'no nonsense' she was, and don't we know that! [Smile] You have seen the photo, so now you know what she looks like, at last.
Her family is just precious and is totally shocked. Her nieces and nephews were devastated about "Auntie Erin". I talked with so many friends and relatives, (as did Jedi, Janine and Amanda). It was a day I won't forget at all.

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
maleveque
Shipmate
# 132

- Posted      Profile for maleveque   Email maleveque   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, Motherboard. Maybe we'll call you from the DC Wake tonight.
- Anne L.

--------------------
Life isn't all fricasseed frogs and eel pie.

Posts: 1496 | From: Washington, DC or thereabouts | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

- Posted      Profile for Pants   Email Pants   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you Motherboard.

--------------------
Many big thank yous to those who sponsored us.

I use £6m of military hardware to find hidden Tupperware in the woods.

Posts: 15217 | From: A grown up house | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the report, MoBo. So glad all y'all were able to be there.

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
Campbellite and I will have a mini-meet in Roanoke today to remember Erin.

We plan to meet at eleven.

Moo

Moo brought the BCP.
I brought the Green and Blacks Maya Gold.

[Votive]

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner   Author's homepage   Email Ancient Mariner   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Way to go, MoBo. So glad you had the chance to speak on our behalf and tell family and friends how much she was loved.

[Tear] [Votive]

--------------------
Ship of Fools' first novel, Rattles & Rosettes, is the tale of two football (soccer) fans: 16-year-old Tom in 1914 and Dan in 2010. More at www.rattlesandrosettes.com

Posts: 2582 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
MotherBoarde - you've reduced me to tears, which I needed. Thank you for being there, and thank you for saying those words. Can't see the keys too well, so apologies fr typos.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Presleyterian has very kindly emailed me a PDF of the service leaflet... find it here.

She writes: It was a service attended by 200+ people in a hardware store. Really. The congregation bought the property after it left the Episcopal Church. Actually, the setting was part of what I found most touching: It was a house of worship and a purveyor of rusty farm implements.

[ 08. January 2011, 12:22: Message edited by: Simon ]

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

quote:
Originally posted by Simon:
Presleyterian writes:

<snip>

Actually, the setting was part of what I found most touching: It was a house of worship and a purveyor of rusty farm implements.

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

Wonderful!

--------------------
i-church

QuietMBR
Shipmate
# 8845

- Posted      Profile for QuietMBR   Email QuietMBR   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Presleyterian has very kindly emailed me a PDF of the service leaflet...

Hmmm....will be singing two of the hymns/songs tomorrow morming and will think of Erin as I do.

--------------------
"My Jesus would never be accepted in my church...the blood and dirt on His feet might stain the carpets." Todd Agnew

Posts: 298 | From: Middle Atlantic, USA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Every time I sit down at the computer to slog out a detailed description of the funeral, Somebody (read that, FG) needs some help, some information, assistance regaining consciousness, clothing and coffee, something. (MoBo and Miss Amanda got a taste of that from the FG yesterday. You'll be trying to put together a post or email, and he'll just carry on his previous [usually unrelated] conversation with you. I think 11 years of football gave him a multipartite brain.)

There'll be a Mystery Worship report, of course, in due time, but I've some things to add from my own POV. (Anyone who doesn't like to read lots of quirky detail can just skip that post. [Smile] )

We figure we've had roughly 6.5 hours of sleep in the last 48, so it might need to cook a bit before I let it out onto the screen.

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Janine - of course we are waiting with bated breath, but take a break yourself. Sound like you need a good night's sleep!!

And thank you for being there representing us - I would so liked to have been able to attend!

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you Presleyterian and Simon for putting the service sheet up. It did me a power of good reading that.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here are some pictures! [Tear]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lesedi
Shipmate
# 5234

- Posted      Profile for Lesedi   Email Lesedi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fabulous pics, JJ - many thanks for taking them and putting them up!! It's helpful to have faces to go with personas.

--------------------
Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand. Homer Simpson

Posts: 118 | From: slogging in a vineyard | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
marmot

Mountain mammal
# 479

- Posted      Profile for marmot   Email marmot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
JJ, the card is perfect.
Posts: 2754 | From: The land of Saint Damien | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

Thank you JJ, those are lovely pictures.

--------------------
i-church

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, guys, for representing all of us Shippies - and for being there in person, for Erin's family and friends.

[Votive]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you JJ - that's so thoughtful of you.
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
jedijudy, thank you for providing the card and message - it is lovely. OliviaG
Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jigsaw
Shipmate
# 11433

- Posted      Profile for Jigsaw     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you all; so kind and thoughtful, and such respectful photos. Take care of yourselves now- you must be tired, but know how much we appreciate what you did.

--------------------
You are not alone in this.

Posts: 743 | From: Snorbens, UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by OliviaG:
... Would it be undignified to carry something small that indicates that each of you represents around 4000... mourners of diverse faiths from around the world? OliviaG

Undoubtedly, as the dust settles, we'll think of a couple of lovely symbolic items we could have carried. I'll be cruising through an antique shop or flea market and spot the very thing, months from now, I'm sure.

I did carry something symbolic, with meaning for me, personally, if y'all will excuse me the long post it takes to explain it to you:

Well over a year ago, my daughter the Amazon-Valkyrie bought a birthday gift for me. She squirreled it away, early shopping being her habit. Wrapped it and hid it all this time, to bring it to light again in time for my birthday, Epiphany 2011.

Flash forward to about nine months ago. I was shopping for the 2010 CO/NM meet. I bought a very nice dress, even staid (by my usual gypsy standards), classic lines, saved from being just too dressy for me by its fabric: a very deep, dark, almost black blue denim.

Never did wear it. It was rescued from daughter-in-law's fundraising sale in December by the lingering idea that I might sometime need to go somewhere looking respectable. All a dark denim-inspired garment needs to set it off is an accent of just the right vibrant shade of golden yellow, or light harvest orange-gold, the same color as the traditional blue-jean stitching. I never did find the right thing.

Again flash forward, to the end of the year.

Erin passes away.

All the help she'd given me and all her presence interwoven into the Ship's Boards... Here I was only 600 miles away. How could I possibly manage the trip for the funeral? How could I not manage it?

Horrible strain on the budget, on the covering co-workers' goodwill -- I kept hammering at the details and worked it out, but even after I was sure it was all coming together, it still seemed a fragile arrangement, subject to crumbling even up to the final moment. So much could go wrong.

Now picture this:

Funeral's eve, January 6th, coordinating final nagging loose ends so I can please-Lord-get-on-the-road, resembling a headless barnyard fowl, frazzled, talking to myself... "9-hour drive, 'Jesus take the wheel' indeed... Lord help me... pack that dress... where are my shoes... FG's shoes..."

The Valkyrie has me slow down for a moment. She hands me my birthday present. So much on my mind with Erin's passing; I'd forgotten there was that gift for me. Heck, I'd forgotten for the moment that it was my birthday. Pretty package. Open the wrapping...

Inside I see a soft orange color, just the shade I'd been hoping to find in a scarf, a pin, a handbag -- something to accessorize the dark denim dress.

It is an alligator purse.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Hot and Hormonal] [Smile]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The use of 'There is a Redeemer' is poignant, seeing that Keith Green also died far too young.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
Thank you, guys, for representing all of us Shippies - and for being there in person, for Erin's family and friends.

[Votive]

I assure you, it was our honor to do so.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
jedijudy... thank you for the photos, and for giving us such good images of the shipmates, the Floridan sunshine, the sanctuary, the flowers, and especially the pictures of Erin. And thanks so much for the card, and what you wrote in it. We're all indebted to you. Glad you've returned home safely.

Janine... fab story about the alligator purse. And not forgetting your epic 9-hour, 600 mile drive. Thank you for putting that much road under your wheels to do Erin honor. It's greatly appreciated by everyone.

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a tacky, horrible person but have to say this:

our Erin was hot.

not that it matters, of course. she was of course hot in the sense of her being a brilliant, blazing light in our world.

but she was a damn fine looking woman, too.

(I'll shut up now. Janine - love the purse story. there have been a large number of moments like that all over the world this week. it's really quite something. God is having a good time with us.)

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
I'm a tacky, horrible person but have to say this:

our Erin was hot.

not that it matters, of course. she was of course hot in the sense of her being a brilliant, blazing light in our world.

but she was a damn fine looking woman, too.

(I'll shut up now. Janine - love the purse story. there have been a large number of moments like that all over the world this week. it's really quite something. God is having a good time with us.)

I'm glad you said it because I was thinking it. She was FINE looking.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Presleyterian has very kindly emailed me a PDF of the service leaflet... find it here.

Thank you.

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

9 hours and 600 miles is a long trip, but not nearly the sacrifice it sounds like to folks in UK, Europe, other places without the long-stretched highways so common here. Glad I could go. Feel bereft and robbed, can only imagine the huge weight of mourning close friends and loved ones feel.

I also thought the choice of that Keith Green song, There is A Redeemer, was poignant, too, him also being a genius talent taken too young.

--------------------

Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I qm sitting at my kitchen tale, here in Australia. Church is over. I am eating a prawn sandwhich, reading all this, and crying into a kitchen towel.
Thankyou.

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
TomOfTarsus
Shipmate
# 3053

- Posted      Profile for TomOfTarsus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Janine:
I also thought the choice of that Keith Green song, There is A Redeemer, was poignant, too, him also being a genius talent taken too young.

Awright, Janine, that did it for me... now I have to explain why I'm all dewey-eyed!

I haven't been able to comment much, but I'm glad you and the others could go. Blessings to you, and continued prayer for a wide circle of firends and family... so many lives touched.

Tom

--------------------
By grace are ye saved through faith... not of yourselves; it is the gift of God; not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath ... ordained that we should walk in them.

Posts: 1570 | From: Pittsburgh, PA USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

- Posted      Profile for Lynn MagdalenCollege   Author's homepage   Email Lynn MagdalenCollege   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

She writes: It was a service attended by 200+ people in a hardware store. Really. The congregation bought the property after it left the Episcopal Church. Actually, the setting was part of what I found most touching: It was a house of worship and a purveyor of rusty farm implements.

Thank you for the service leaflet, Simon & Presleyterian. I am curious about the property - is it still multi-use? Looks like they're selling pre-fab housing units in the reception area! wow... my wonder and admiration for Erin increases. [Tear]

--------------------
Erin & Friend; Been there, done that; Ruth musical

Posts: 6263 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

- Posted      Profile for Lynn MagdalenCollege   Author's homepage   Email Lynn MagdalenCollege   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
Here are some pictures! [Tear]

Thank you so much. And Janine - an alligator purse?! Erin must be up in heaven just leaning back on her tail and roaring with glee-- wow!

--------------------
Erin & Friend; Been there, done that; Ruth musical

Posts: 6263 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kiddo Erin. [Tear]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's the link to the MW report on Erin's memorial service.

In the photo are (left to right) Jedijudy, Daughter Unit, Janine, Mr Janine (hiding behind his wife) and Ye Olde Motherboarde.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, Miss Amanda.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
dolphy

Lady of Perpetual Responsiblity
# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My humble thanks to all who have written here and posted such wonderful photos....

What a wonderful tribute to a wonderful woman.

As for the song on Radio 2, I think you are correct in stating that someone knew about it....

xxxxx

--------------------
Looking forward to my rock moving closer again.

Posts: 15134 | From: my camper van | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner   Author's homepage   Email Ancient Mariner   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
JJ - thank you so much for your card, pics and captions and for representing us all at the funeral. It is really appreciated.

--------------------
Ship of Fools' first novel, Rattles & Rosettes, is the tale of two football (soccer) fans: 16-year-old Tom in 1914 and Dan in 2010. More at www.rattlesandrosettes.com

Posts: 2582 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On Friday I went to the funeral of a 97 yr old woman. I didn't know her well, I was mainly going to support her daughter. During the service my mind was full of Erin. When the reading from John 14 included the phrase: "In my Father's house there are many mansions," I began to wonder, will Erin start reorganising them? One for rational discussion, one for silly creativity, and another for venting?

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

quote:
"... God shall wipe away all tears,
There’s no death, no pain, nor fears,
And they count not time by years,
For there is no night there..."

The Lamb is the light; no "dark night of the soul", no more, there. Nothing else to complain about.

What will it be like for Erin, having no one who desperately needs Rusty Farm Implement Therapy?

One thing I liked about the funeral was the way everyone who recited the Lord's Prayer did so from his or her own tradition, in the translation in which they learned it.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Janine:
quote:
What will it be like for Erin, having no one who desperately needs Rusty Farm Implement Therapy?
She might have to work on the facial tics for a bit. [Biased]

[ 17. January 2011, 04:28: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016