homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's business   » Erin   » Swamp lights (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Swamp lights
Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] King's College Chapel, Cambridge

It's where I was when I heard the news

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Stephen the Stoned
Shipmate
# 9841

- Posted      Profile for St. Stephen the Stoned   Author's homepage   Email St. Stephen the Stoned   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] Sheffield Cathedral if I can make it through the snow. Otherwise I've lit a virtual candle as referenced above.
Posts: 518 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Japes:
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
I intend to light one at St Phillips cathedral, Birmingham, UK this evening. [Votive]

I was going to do that on the way home from work - but won't manage it now!
Taken care of.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Caty S.

I read, therefore I am.
# 11996

- Posted      Profile for Caty S.   Email Caty S.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] Virtual candle lit.
Posts: 2119 | From: Devon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] I have lit a candle on my study windowsill in Rochdale, near Manchester, overlooking the Pennine moors.

[Votive] for her family today [Tear]

RIP Erin

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
birdsoftheair
Shipmate
# 15219

- Posted      Profile for birdsoftheair     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
An online site for candles is here if you don't have any or a church where you can light one.

Thank you for that Lothlorien, a beautiful site.
Candles lit there and at home and I will try to light one here on Sunday.
[Votive] Orkney, Scotland, Uk

[ 07. January 2011, 10:17: Message edited by: birdsoftheair ]

Posts: 1069 | From: under 180 degrees of sky | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have lit a candle on the virtual site, and on Sunday will light one at St Ninian's Pollokshields, Glasgow.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I also lit a virtual candle, and will light a real one on Sunday at St Mary's, Glasgow.
Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

RIP Erin

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have lit a virtual candle. [Votive]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going to try to get into the Cafe for the first time today, but if I can't, there will be a little vigil in Caprica City with three candles. OliviaG
Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sparkle.
Shipmate
# 11520

- Posted      Profile for Sparkle.   Author's homepage   Email Sparkle.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] St Laurence Catford (London)
Posts: 88 | From: the nether reaches of Croydon, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I shall light a candle on Sunday in St Bertelin's, Stafford.
Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Landlubber
Shipmate
# 11055

- Posted      Profile for Landlubber   Email Landlubber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I too lit a virtual candle and will sit after the service and say real prayers in Norwich, UK on Sunday.

--------------------
They that go down to the sea in ships … reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man

Posts: 383 | From: On dry land | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
kentishmaid
Shipmate
# 4767

- Posted      Profile for kentishmaid   Author's homepage   Email kentishmaid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

Here on my computer desk in Banstead, Surrey, UK.

--------------------
"Who'll be the lady, who'll be the lord, when we are ruled by the love of one another?"

Posts: 2063 | From: Huddersfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

in the chapel of St Elsewhere Hospital, north of England, at 1600 GMT today.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wonderful thread, wonderful thread title.

I have been away from home taking care of my elderly father for several days. When I left the hospital last night, I would have given anything to find an Episcopal Church, preferably one with a nice Epiphany service going on, but to no avail. Lovely big Methodist and Baptist churches along the way, but no votive-friendly places. Today I checked the hospital chapel, a nice little RC place but no votives available, probably for safety reasons. So I had a "WTFWED?" moment.

It took a couple of attempts to find the chapel empty, but I lit one of the altar candles and said a prayer for the repose of Erin's soul and of thanksgiving for her life. And then I blew it out, because I figured that with all those years working in health care, Erin would be royally pissed at me if I burned down a hospital.

I did this at 11:45 a.m. today, EST, which I have just discovered coincided with Erin's funeral. So please add to the list the chapel at St Joseph's Hospital, Atlanta GA.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
morningstar
Shipmate
# 15860

- Posted      Profile for morningstar   Email morningstar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Temporarily relocated in NL to be with father after mother was admitted to a care home. He's so sad and there's so much to do he cannot get his head round at the moment.
Fortunately remembered password for SoS and was able to be on line at 17.00 local which I think coincided. Then lit a candle and prayed at the computer.

Posts: 116 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lit one in Hereford UK

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ags

Knocked up
# 204

- Posted      Profile for Ags     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I lit a votive in the chapel of the hospice in south east London, where I work, at 16.00 GMT.
As I did that, Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring was playing. [Votive]

--------------------
I think that we are most ourselves at our best, because that is what God intended us to be. The us we really like, the us that others love to be with. Moth

Posts: 2707 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dal Segno

al Fine
# 14673

- Posted      Profile for Dal Segno     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] St Martin in the Fields, Trafalgar Square, London

--------------------
Yet ever and anon a trumpet sounds

Posts: 1200 | From: Pacific's triple star | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] Edinburgh, Tollcross, during the funeral.

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] in my home Canberra, Australia

knowing that it is still very much Friday the 7th in Erin's part of the world...even though it is now Saturday 8th where I am.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

- Posted      Profile for Margaret   Email Margaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At home, beside my computer, during the funeral.
Posts: 2456 | From: West Midlands UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a light by my computer at present. Was lit during the funeral

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No votive candles there, but went into the University Chapel, University of Glasgow this afternoon. Noticed a carved fluffy bunny on one of the pew ends.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Dal Segno

al Fine
# 14673

- Posted      Profile for Dal Segno     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just realised that the candle I lit in church at 3:30 GMT was lit throughout the funeral. I knew I would be passing there today, but hadn't realised that the timing coincided with the funeral. Fare well Erin.

--------------------
Yet ever and anon a trumpet sounds

Posts: 1200 | From: Pacific's triple star | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
Hare today
Shipmate
# 12974

- Posted      Profile for Hare today     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] and prayer card in Lichfield Cathedral.

--------------------
Ht

Come let us sing of a wonderful love (1933 MHB No 314)

Posts: 401 | From: Middle England | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] St Philip's, Bungendore after dropping in to pack the crib figures and extra candles away.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Dogwalker
Shipmate
# 14135

- Posted      Profile for Dogwalker   Email Dogwalker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On Wednesday, I was in New York with my daughter. We stopped in at Trinity Church Wall Street. I wish I'd thought to light a candle, but I didn't.

I did sit and pray for Erin, her family and friends and all of us on the Ship.

--------------------
If God had meant for us to fly, he wouldn't have given us the railways. - Unknown

Posts: 155 | From: Milford, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure if this counts, and I did not light it, but the sunset the night of the funeral was astounding. The clouds were a beautiful shape, layered and textured. The colours were gold, with reds and oranges, deep and bright. Seemed to last forever, getting richer as it went on. Even as the clouds began to fade, a warm glow shown on the water a while longer.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I lit a candle here in the office last night so the same time as the funeral was taking place in Florida.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lit a candle on the Isle of Man, at the same time as the funeral. My PC wouldn't let me into the Cafe so I went away and was sad by myself.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just a reminder that it would be helpful to the mappers if you post a location - town or district and country where the candle/prayer happened. Thanks.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Thank you Robert.

--------------------

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That candle site is brilliant. I'd never seen it before

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
Just a reminder that it would be helpful to the mappers if you post a location - town or district and country where the candle/prayer happened. Thanks.

The map doesn't work for me (in Opera, Firefox or IE) - it's just an ordinary map. Is there something special I need to do/settings I should turn on to get it to show?
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:

The map doesn't work for me (in Opera, Firefox or IE) - it's just an ordinary map. Is there something special I need to do/settings I should turn on to get it to show?
same here. I'm using Safari.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm using Firefox and all I get is a map with no special markings.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Benedictus
Shipmate
# 1215

- Posted      Profile for Benedictus   Email Benedictus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
St. Francis, Welwyn Garden City

--------------------
Resentment: Me drinking poison and expecting them to die

Posts: 1378 | From: Hertfordshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

- Posted      Profile for Bean Sidhe   Email Bean Sidhe   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nothing here on Firefox, Opera or IE

--------------------
How do you know when a politician is lying?
His lips are moving.

Danny DeVito

Posts: 4363 | From: where the taxis won't go | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Right two things, will those using Googlemaps please post a URL that looks like:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=211034171517622835243.00047e671b6eda3a3176a&ll=54.723364,-4.935852&sp n=0.141173,0.445976&z=12

If you want to get that then go to the top right hand corner and click on the link bit further instructions at here

Secondly I am in Sheffield address, fairly central, those who want more can get it from my website although I should correct the postcode.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Would it help if we give latitude and longitude?

Roanoke, Va, where Campbellite and I had our mini meet yesterday is at 37.3°N79.9°W.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

I have started a map here

As I am using Google maps if anyone wants to help with this please pm me an email address.

It can cope with latitude longitude, address (with ambiguity as you like), postcodes or zipcode.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jengie, your map looks just the same as the other one. What are we supposed to be seeing?
Viola
Administrator
# 20

- Posted      Profile for Viola   Email Viola   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jengie's map works for me. I see little votive candles in the UK. Birmingham Cathedral is labelled 'Marvin the Martian'.

[just gone back and there are more candles now...]

I couldn't see anything on ecumaniac's.

I have a google account - I don't know if maybe that's a factor...

[ 08. January 2011, 19:26: Message edited by: Viola ]

--------------------
"If ye love me, keep my commandments" John 14:15

"Commandment number one: shut the hell up." Erin Etheredge 1971-2010

Posts: 4345 | From: West of England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Ooh, now it does - that's clever, thanks Jengie!
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
I have started a map here

As I am using Google maps if anyone wants to help with this please pm me an email address.

It can cope with latitude longitude, address (with ambiguity as you like), postcodes or zipcode.

Jengie

That's fab - I couldn't get candle icons to work on mine. PM on its way.

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Got it Jengie. I'm at 42.7N 71.7W
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Ariel

Forgot to save it and I think while it was unsaved others could not save it while I could. I am now saving regularly and keeping a list of who I don't know

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016