homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's business   » Erin   » In response

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: In response
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Like many, I did not feel Erin's teeth, nor did I have any other reason to engage with her. I did once contemplate sending a PM after she'd closed a thread that I had been thinking about contributing to, but on reflection I decided that I was just too slow (and suspect I would have been told so). But I was more than aware of her presence, role and wisdom and again like many was drawn to threads where she had posted.

Given my lack of direct involvement with her, I was a little taken aback at how profoundly I was affected by the news of her death. But it has reinforced to me how important to me this online community is.

So, as a result, I am going to try to engage more with the Ship this year. I'm going to try for quality time to read the boards and quality posts, as well as the more lighthearted and ephemeral matters; if I'm not being quoted or responded to at all, I need to rethink. I'm going to keep an eye on the prayer thread, which is part of a separate resolution to pray more anyway. I'm going to try to make at least one Shipmeet. It seems that these latter two are in turn very (1) Erinlike and (2) unErinlike.

I decided it was time to distinguish myself with a custom avatar and title; thank you to whichever Admin for the unexpected speed of making the change following my order. I recently added a photo to the gallery and I still need to make a few additions to my profile to say more about me.

So I look forward to continuing to sail with my fellow shipmates, appreciating Erin's undoubted legacy in this incredible community.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Looking forward to a shipmeet with you sometime in the near future, Vulpior!

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Vulpior: I would be glad to see you post more often [Smile]

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vulpior:
if I'm not being quoted or responded to at all, I need to rethink.

Don't give up if this doesn't happen, though. People do not always quote or respond, even if your contribution is significant and helpful. Everyone's posts are all part of the mix of what makes the ship, regardless.

I think we can all contribute to making the ship a great place to be, regardless of whether we are old or new members; whether we knew Erin well, or not at all. It would be really good to think that we have outgrown needing a kick up the ass to make us do what is right. [Paranoid]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
quote:

Don't give up if this doesn't happen, though. People do not always quote or respond, even if your contribution is significant and helpful. Everyone's posts are all part of the mix of what makes the ship, regardless.

I think we can all contribute to making the ship a great place to be, regardless of whether we are old or new members; whether we knew Erin well, or not at all. It would be really good to think that we have outgrown needing a kick up the ass to make us do what is right. [Paranoid]

Though sometimes they do (respond) - I seem to recall Erin making somewhat snappy comments about vacuous posts like this that post a quote within a quote al for no good reason.

But (I promise) there is good reason. Vulpior's response is kind of like a new year's resolution ... what should I resolve?

Since beginning to host heaven I have barely tiptoed onto the bitier, thinkinger, raison d'etrier boards that are the key to this big floaty cruise ... perhaps I should pledge a little less vacuousness and a little more engagement with The Big Issued™.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
WhyNotSmile
Shipmate
# 14126

- Posted      Profile for WhyNotSmile   Author's homepage   Email WhyNotSmile   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've felt a bit like that too Vulpior. I never crossed paths with Erin, but the last few days I've realised how much I do feel part of a great community here. I don't think I've ever visited as much as I had done in the past couple of days.

I've found something valuable on these boards.

quote:

When no one replies to me, I like to picture them, standing, in silent awe at my genius. Which is probably what's happening.

*WhyNotSmile nods to herself encouragingly and wanders off*

--------------------
Come visit:
http://why-not-smile.blogspot.com
- you're always glad you came

Posts: 528 | From: Belfast | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vulpior

It took me a long time to understand that many of my posts will not receive a direct response. Sometimes a point I have made will be incorporated into the discussion without any acknowledgment of my contribution. That's fine; that's the way it works.

Sometimes a poster will attribute to me an idea or quote which was actually made by someone else, and vice versa. Nowadays I point out the error only if I disagree with the point being made, or if I am highly praised for something someone else said.

This is a peculiar situation, but people get used to it.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
East Price Road
Shipmate
# 13846

- Posted      Profile for East Price Road   Email East Price Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Given my lack of direct involvement with her, I was a little taken aback at how profoundly I was affected by the news of her death. But it has reinforced to me how important to me this online community is.

So, as a result, I am going to try to engage more with the Ship this year.

I was thinking exactly the same today.

--------------------
"Fishes stop and ask me where I'm bound." (Incredible String Band)

Posts: 739 | From: West Yorkshire | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Caty S.

I read, therefore I am.
# 11996

- Posted      Profile for Caty S.   Email Caty S.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by East Price Road:
quote:

So, as a result, I am going to try to engage more with the Ship this year.

I was thinking exactly the same today.
Me, too. I've been sharply reminded how important the Ship community is to me - how important it is full stop - even though for a year or more I've hardly posted at all, and lurked less than I used to. [Tear]
Posts: 2119 | From: Devon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Peppone
Marine
# 3855

- Posted      Profile for Peppone   Email Peppone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Me three. I'm too much here and then gone. I need to schedule proper ship time. The vigil last night reminded me how much people here on the Ship have given me by their friendship over the last 8 years. I've been taking and not giving; I will try to be here more. Also, 'listen' (i.e read) more and not feel like I have to necessarily post. I was struck by what Itokru posted in the cafe last night: that he / she had read the ship for years and years, and only registered to attend the vigil.

--------------------
I looked at the wa's o' Glasgow Cathedral, where vandals and angels painted their names,
I was clutching at straws and wrote your initials, while parish officials were safe in their hames.

Posts: 3020 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

- Posted      Profile for W Hyatt   Email W Hyatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WhyNotSmile:
When no one replies to me, I like to picture them, standing, in silent awe at my genius. Which is probably what's happening.

*WhyNotSmile nods to herself encouragingly and wanders off*

Not always so silent. In this case, your genius elicited a definitely audible chuckle of appreciation from me! Thank you for that brilliant suggestion.

--------------------
A new church and a new earth, with Spiritual Insights for Everyday Life.

Posts: 1565 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For me one of the overwhelming feelings is that of lost opportunity. Erin was a woman whom I counted a friend that I wanted to get to know better. Her death made me think "I wish I'd told her,..."

As Benedictus said on another thread, I've realised the importance of not putting off the things I want to do where other people are concerned. I think the coming weeks will see some letters written, some phone calls made (including one to Benedictus!), some cups of coffee drunk.... in "real life" and online.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pure Sunshine
Shipmate
# 11904

- Posted      Profile for Pure Sunshine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I tailed off posting quite a long time ago, but I've never given up reading the Ship, and have always had a thought in the back of my mind that I would one day go back to posting, when I got around to it.

Of course, there was the small matter of remembering my password, and indeed which email address I used to use when I registered, though fortunately I managed to dredge that information up from my memory a few weeks ago.

When I saw the news about Erin, I was shocked; like Vulpior, I never had any contact with her, but I knew how much she had done for this community and how much everyone cared for her. The Ship is a special place, and maybe I'll get involved again every once in a while.

Posts: 472 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Annie P

Ship's galley maid
# 3453

- Posted      Profile for Annie P   Email Annie P   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, the log in wars have started once again in this house. A few years ago, I would have been gutted if the ship had gone off line, or there wasn't a ship meet to go to, but my real life (three children, work, house, church) has taken me away. I still keep in touch with people, but perhaps now it's time I came back, simply because life is too short, and the friends I have here won't be around forever, so maybe I should start appreciating them more.

Years ago, we did Artist's meets, where we were creative in anyway possible. The thought crossed my mind that perhaps we should do another one this year in memory of Erin. If some of the stuff was good enough to sell, we could then give money to the Erin fund.

I'll get on to it....

--------------------
Older now, but not necessarily wiser.

Posts: 3248 | From: stockton-on-tees | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:

I think the coming weeks will see some letters written, some phone calls made (including one to Benedictus!), some cups of coffee drunk.... in "real life" and online.

I haven't moved. [Biased]

I'll bring you some ground coffee from my source in Woddersland in April.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Annie P:
Years ago, we did Artist's meets, where we were creative in anyway possible. The thought crossed my mind that perhaps we should do another one this year in memory of Erin. If some of the stuff was good enough to sell, we could then give money to the Erin fund.

I've heard of your artist's meets - I'd love to come along to one!
Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

- Posted      Profile for Niminypiminy   Email Niminypiminy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
originally posted by Vulpior:

Me too (or four, I think it should be). It's taken me a while to work out why I am feeling so sad about the death of someone I really had no contact with. It's not just that I am catching the echoes of other people's grief. Reading the posts on this board it's impossible not to see that Erin's life was truly integritous (I know it's not a word, but it should be), all of a piece with itself, and that she was a true and keen spirit. Even though I never knew her, my life was enriched by her being in the world; my world is diminished by her death.

And, as Vulpior said, it's made me see that online communities can't be communities if they're just full of transients who don't put anything in. They're made by the people who stay and keep on going and giving. So my response is to try and take my responsibility as a member of the community seriously.

--------------------
Lives of the Saints: songs by The Unequal Struggle
http://www.theunequalstruggle.com/

Posts: 776 | From: Edge of the Fens | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Deputy Verger
Shipmate
# 15876

- Posted      Profile for Deputy Verger   Email Deputy Verger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Smudgie lamented:
Her death made me think "I wish I'd told her..."

Strangely enough, I did. I was thinking I never had any interaction with Erin, but your comment made me remember that I actually had done exactly that, late one night on the short-lived and extremely frustrating MAAN board, just a few weeks ago.

Smudgie, if you were privileged enough to count her as a friend, she knew. This is for you [Votive] from me. Consider yourself told that I appreciate you, on those threads where we cross paths...

And I am sure Erin knew that statistically my message would have reflected the opinion of many, many more shipmates - that she was hugely respected even by random people who wouldn't normally bleep on her radar, and not simply feared by the regular tosspots who stupidly stuck their own body parts into the gator's grip.

Posts: 475 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Deputy Verger:
quote:

Smudgie lamented:
Her death made me think "I wish I'd told her..."

Strangely enough, I did.
I think quite a few people have told her, over the years, about how grateful we are for all she has done. I still have a PM (the exact details of which I'd rather not post) but which says something very similar. And I'm sure there have been many others. People who didn't get around to it mustn't feel too bad, because if several thousand people individually thanked her I imagine it would have been rather too overwhelming. Enough that some people did on behalf of all the others.

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To clarify, my "I wish I'd told her..." wasn't precisely that I wished I'd told her how I respected and loved her - I have a feeling she knew that, especially after the PMs we exchanged - wish I'd kept more than just one, but the one I kept was pretty special!- and especially after the fun I had being her mum in the Nativity Play.

It was more that I wish that communication had been more frequent, especially more recently, and that I'd taken the time to share things with her, and with various other friends with whom I don't communicate enough, thinking always "I'll do it tomorrow".

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
itokro
Shipmate
# 16135

- Posted      Profile for itokro   Email itokro   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've lurked the ship for about 5 years. For various not-particularly-interesting reasons, I never registered in that time, but I knew who Erin was and how integral she was to the ship. I don't think it would be possible to have read the ship that long and not know of Erin. I'm still somewhat surprised by my own response to the death of someone I never had any actual contact with, but it sounds like I'm not the only one. Anyway, what finally made me register was wanting to attend Erin's wake and pay my respects in some way.

The Ship's response to this tragedy has demonstrated just how much of a community you have here. That makes me think I ought to stick around and do some actual posting.

[Votive] For Erin
[Votive] For the Ship, may it continue to sail without her

Posts: 74 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This tragedy has convinced me it's time to come back to the Ship on a regular basis, after several years of, at best, sporadic participation. I'd forgotten the strength of the community, and the caring atmosphere it enables. Bless you all.

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been thinking in the past few days how easy it has been for me sometimes - mea culpa - to forget that there are real people, not pixels, behind every word posted on the boards. People with concerns, worries, fears, joys and triumphs. It's something I hope I can remember more often before I hit "Add reply". I hope, too, I can remember more often the value of a quick PM to say "Hi. Haven't seen you for a while. Hope you're ok."

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

- Posted      Profile for Sylvander   Author's homepage   Email Sylvander   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Reading all this after Erin's death made me think about the Ship anew. I realise that I enjoy the games and in some way feel connected to the people – but the notion of feeling in any meaningful way part of a community of people whom I never met IRL still seems strange (cyber community?). I wonder, how can one perceive as a real communion the relationship with people where I might in some cases not even guess correctly about something as basic for human identity as their sex or their age and their general demeanour? Never heard their voice? Seen their handwriting?
Incl. people whom not even anybody else ever met in person? I notice it seems possible for many here but I don't work like that. I enjoy the Ship but apart from the one lovely shippie I met IRL I struggle to have a real-people-reality feeling. If that makes sense.
Summary: I decided I need to attend a shipmeet to mend that.
Living in Germany and having a rather full time-table this is not so easily organised but maybe when I come to Scotland in February this might be an occasion?
I'll have to hasten to Heaven which is, I think, where meets are organized?

--------------------
A martyr is someone living with a saint.

Posts: 1589 | From: Berlin | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sylvander
I'll have to hasten to Heaven which is, I think, where meets are organized?

No, you want All Saints.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

- Posted      Profile for Sylvander   Author's homepage   Email Sylvander   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you.

--------------------
A martyr is someone living with a saint.

Posts: 1589 | From: Berlin | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
This tragedy has convinced me it's time to come back to the Ship on a regular basis, after several years of, at best, sporadic participation. I'd forgotten the strength of the community, and the caring atmosphere it enables. Bless you all.

Welcome back! Since your the member number directly after mine, I've always felt a bit of a connection to you, and I've missed you.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

- Posted      Profile for Lynn MagdalenCollege   Author's homepage   Email Lynn MagdalenCollege   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've posted this elsewhere but there are so many Erin threads with a fair bit of overlap that I don't know where I should put it - so, as it's my response: Jesus welcomes Erin.

--------------------
Erin & Friend; Been there, done that; Ruth musical

Posts: 6263 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm another who didn't cross with Erin much, but always enjoyed watching from a distance. I'm glad this thread is here, so I can at least check in and say "I'm here" while perusing this memorial board, even if I don't have my own stories to share. I'm listening with relish to all of yours and missing Erin with you.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

This sign, spotted in Bath today, made me smile and remember a certain person.

Four-and-a-half inches - seriously big teeth! [Eek!]
Proceed with caution, indeed.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016