homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home

This thread has been moved to Glory.    
 - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's business   » Erin   » Erin: Jason breaks the news (Page 5)

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Erin: Jason breaks the news
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Ship won't feel the same without Erin. It is such a strong measure of just how important she was to all shipmates that this thread has had so many posts in so short a time--4 pages in about 12 hours. Surely that must be a record, and I am sure the count won't stop there.

To Erin's family, my condolences and prayers. She was a wonderful and dynamic person.

[Votive]

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ruudy
Shipmate
# 3939

- Posted      Profile for Ruudy   Email Ruudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I caught wind of this on Facebook. What a loss! May her memory be eternal. [Votive]

--------------------
The shipmate formerly known as Goar.

Posts: 1360 | From: Gatorland | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

- Posted      Profile for Seeker963   Author's homepage   Email Seeker963   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive]

--------------------
"People waste so much of their lives on hate and fear." My friend JW-N: Chaplain and three-time cancer survivor. (Went to be with her Lord March 21, 2010. May she rest in peace and rise in glory.)

Posts: 4152 | From: Northeast Ohio | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Got a text from a friend asking if I'd seen the Ship today, after replying "no why?" she sent the response:

quote:
Erin died. It's all gone grey.
Seems to sum it up somehow.

[Votive] to all and especially close friends and family.

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Fermat
Shipmate
# 4894

- Posted      Profile for Fermat   Email Fermat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Rest in peace, and rise in glory. [Votive]
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh hell. She will be missed--by the Ship, and by me.

O God, whose mercies cannot be numbered: Accept our prayers on behalf of thy servant Erin, and grant her an entrance into the land of light and joy, in the fellowship of thy saints; through Jesus Christ thy Son our Lord, who liveth and reigneth with htee and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. AMEN.

Erin was the real McCoy.

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is like a punch in the gut.

Whenever I saw Erin's avatar, I clicked on the post, no matter the thread--even the one's I wasn't interested in.

I am so sad that the earthly world must go on without her.

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Her presence (and the threat of it!) will be much missed. It may be safe to go back into the water, but much less fun. [Votive]
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Genevičve

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

- Posted      Profile for Genevičve   Email Genevičve   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My ddepest condolences to Jason and all of Erin's family. Thank you for letting us know this sad sad news.

I knew Erin only from her posts, and have always been in awe of her sense of herself, and her groundedness.

"May the angels guide you to paradise"

and if St. Peter needs anyone to do some butt-kicking, he's in luck.

[Votive]

[ 04. January 2011, 15:30: Message edited by: Genevičve ]

--------------------
"Ineffable" defined: "I cannot and will not be effed with." (Courtesy of CCTooSweet in Running the Books)

Posts: 4336 | From: Eastern US | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Belisarius
Lord Bountiful of Admin (Emeritus) Delights
# 32

- Posted      Profile for Belisarius   Email Belisarius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As others have said, she was unique.

My deepest condolences to Erin's family.

--------------------
Animals may be Evolution's Icing, but Bacteria are the Cake.
Andrew Knoll

Posts: 8080 | From: New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I always thought that Erin must be invulnerable, like her avatar, so I can't believe that she has died. I know that the net creates a false sense of knowing people, but the shock felt at this loss is real. I honestly cannot imagine the Ship without Erin, nor can I add much of any sense.

Rest in peace, Erin.

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wow.

+Rest eternal...

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

- Posted      Profile for Scarlet         Edit/delete post 
I'm so shocked and saddened I hardly know what to type. [Frown]

Erin was so sweet to me on several occasions when our Ship paths crossed. Such kind PM's. And I was the recipient of an apology in Styx over her part in some kurfuffle that hurt my feelings several years ago. And we conversed in the cafe from time to time when my daughter was active here. We felt like we were talking to a rock star!

I wish I'd sent her chocolate more often. [Tear]

Eternal Memory, Erin. [Votive]
My condolences and prayers for Erin's family. [Votive]

--------------------
They took from their surroundings what was needed... and made of it something more.
—dialogue from Primer

Jonathan Strange
Shipmate
# 11001

- Posted      Profile for Jonathan Strange   Email Jonathan Strange   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive]

--------------------
"Wrong will be right, when Aslan comes in sight,
At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more,
When he bears his teeth, winter meets its death,
When he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again"

Posts: 1327 | From: Wessex | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
St. Punk the Pious

Biblical™ Punk
# 683

- Posted      Profile for St. Punk the Pious   Author's homepage   Email St. Punk the Pious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nooooo! Awful news. I am at a loss for words.

She and her unique style will be greatly, greatly missed.

[Votive] [Votive] [Votive]

--------------------
The Society of St. Pius *
Wannabe Anglican, Reader
My reely gud book.

Posts: 4161 | From: Choral Evensong | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
pjkirk
Shipmate
# 10997

- Posted      Profile for pjkirk   Email pjkirk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fuck, man. Fuck.

--------------------
Dear God, I would like to file a bug report -- Randall Munroe (http://xkcd.com/258/)

Posts: 1177 | From: Swinging on a hammock, chatting with Bokonon | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
PrettyFly

Ship's sunbather
# 13157

- Posted      Profile for PrettyFly   Author's homepage   Email PrettyFly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My brain is just refusing to process this...

RIP Erin, you will be missed more than you know.

Cannot imagine the Ship without her.

Deepest sympathies to you and yours, Jason.

--------------------
Screw today. I'm going for ice cream.

Posts: 1797 | From: Where the sun keeps shining and where the weather suits my clothes | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pretty much everything that has already been said.

I'm still trying to get my brain around the idea of the Ship without Erin. I feel like I've lost of child (you know - the bit where they aren't supposed to die before you do?).

My deepest sympathy to Jason and all her family.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Inger
Shipmate
# 15285

- Posted      Profile for Inger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is a great shock. I'm a relatively new member and read more than I post, and for me many names here are just that, names.

Erin was always much more than that - once you'd seen one of her posts you remembered her.

She always seemed to me such an eminently right-thinking person; the world and the Ship are poorer for her death.

Posts: 332 | From: Newcastle, UK | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I can't believe I'm never going to meet her.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sharona

Ship's smilemaker
# 8327

- Posted      Profile for Sharona   Email Sharona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So very, very sorry. RIP Erin. And God's comfort to all who love her.
[Votive]

--------------------
M-m-m-m-m-my Sharona

Posts: 30 | From: Los Angeles area | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

- Posted      Profile for Chelley   Email Chelley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I suppose I kind of thought Erin was invincible.
My thoughts are with her loved ones, so sorry.
What a shock.

--------------------
"I love old things, they make me feel sad."
"What's good about sad?"
"It's happy for deep people!"

Sally Sparrow to Kathy - Doctor Who

Posts: 2870 | From: Wonderland, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Caty S.

I read, therefore I am.
# 11996

- Posted      Profile for Caty S.   Email Caty S.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive]
Posts: 2119 | From: Devon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm stunned.

We never met, I never heard her voice and I have no idea what she looked like--but somehow, I feel as though I lost one of my oldest friends. My proudest moment on the Ship was the day Erin said something I posted made her "giggle like a loon".

I would be hard-pressed to name anyone on the Ship or in the real world who could match her gift for cutting through pretension.

Her best memorial here would be for the Ship to continue to thrive--but we will never be the same.

My condolences to all who loved her and miss her.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pottage
Shipmate
# 9529

- Posted      Profile for Pottage   Email Pottage   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A terrible shock. [Votive]
Posts: 701 | From: middle England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:

Me neither. I kept hoping someday somehow I would.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Viola
Administrator
# 20

- Posted      Profile for Viola   Email Viola   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:

Moo

Ladies, really, you know her opinion of shipmeets!

It's different when there's not even a possibility though, eh?

--------------------
"If ye love me, keep my commandments" John 14:15

"Commandment number one: shut the hell up." Erin Etheredge 1971-2010

Posts: 4345 | From: West of England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanuensis

Idler
# 1555

- Posted      Profile for Amanuensis     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Shipmates past join the present crew in complete shock, sadness, and mourning.

[Votive] [Frown]

Kyrie eleison.

--------------------
What's new?

Posts: 547 | From: Cornwall | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Viola:

Oh yeah, I know! But still.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh my. Condolences to all Erin's friends and family.

The Ship is definitely a greyer place without her, in so many ways.

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's been great to see posts from some I haven't seen in a long time. It just shows how wide her influence was. There are few that preceded her, many that were here with her at the beginning, and even more who have filtered in along the way, but she has always been here.

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Viola:
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:

Moo

The list of shipmates I can reasonably expect to meet is extremely short anyway, since I live in the boonies.

I have a long list of shipmates I would like to meet, but probably never will.

I have just crossed Erin off that list. [Tear]

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Beautiful Dreamer
Shipmate
# 10880

- Posted      Profile for Beautiful Dreamer   Author's homepage   Email Beautiful Dreamer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I didn't know Erin well and might not seen below the surface, but now I wish I had and I offer condolences to everyone who knew and loved her.

--------------------
More where that came from
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Posts: 6028 | From: Outside Atlanta, GA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
frin

Drinking coffee for Jesus
# 9

- Posted      Profile for frin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Erin fought hard to keep this board afloat through the early years as we learnt, the experiential way, how to be a community on the internet. I remember her kindness to me when I needed it, and how much she has made me laugh over the last 12 years.

'frin

--------------------
"Even the crocodile looks after her young" - Lamentations 4, remembering Erin.

Posts: 4496 | From: a library | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Others have said better than I, but this is sad and shocking news. My condolences to Erin's family, and may this thread offer them some small measure of comfort, that she was respected and loved by so many.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Simon:
Just a note to say that we'll be opening a new board this evening in honour of Erin, where we'll be able to post thoughts, prayers, memories, quotes and anything else people would like to share. I think a board is the best way to mark this significant moment in our life together, and to pay our respects to Erin.

Thank you, Simon. I rarely go in for late nights on board nowadays, but will make an honourable exception when I get back home from choir practice this evening. There's a fair old bit to share.
Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It feels unreal. I'm so sorry for her family, and for us.

Rest in peace, rise in Glory. [Votive]

Posts: 2138 | From: South, UK | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Requiem aeternam dona ei, Domine: et lux perpetua luceat ei. [Votive]

(Eternal rest grant unto her, O Lord: and let perpetual light shine upon her.)

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
sparkly_h
Shipmate
# 7997

- Posted      Profile for sparkly_h   Email sparkly_h   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So, so, so sorry to see this.

[Votive]

Posts: 158 | From: Chichester | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive]

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I keep coming back to read this thread and can barely contain the tears. But I have to say, RuthW's signature has struck *exactly* the right note, and I think Erin would have totally loved it.

Deepest condolences to you and your family, Jason.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

- Posted      Profile for Edgeman   Email Edgeman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pray God grant rest to her and comfrot to her family.

I did'nt know Erin very well, and only spoke with her directly about 12 times, but I've always been imporessed by her.

I'll mis her dearly. [Votive]

Posts: 1420 | From: Philadelphia Penns. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
CuppaT
Shipmate
# 10523

- Posted      Profile for CuppaT   Email CuppaT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lord Have Mercy.
Memory Eternal.

--------------------
Stand at the brink of the abyss of despair, and when you see that you cannot bear it any longer, draw back a little and have a cup of tea.
~Elder Sophrony

Posts: 919 | From: the edge of the Ozarks | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm completely stunned.

She was a wonderfully compassionate woman underneath all that bluster. This crazy place won't be the same without her.

[Votive] [Votive] [Votive] [Votive]

--------------------
"Many people say I embarrass them with my humility" - Archbishop Peter Akinola
Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/toujoursdan

Posts: 3734 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

- Posted      Profile for Tom Day   Author's homepage   Email Tom Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive]

Prayers for all of her family. Thank you to Erin for her hard work and commitment to the ship. RIP.

--------------------
My allotment blog

Posts: 6473 | From: My Sofa | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you for posting, Jason. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
I didn't know Erin at all well, but I respected the way she had the ship by the short and curlies.

I shall continue to call my younger daughter 'daughter Erin' when I mention her in my posts as for most shipmates there is only one Erin.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

- Posted      Profile for Arrietty   Author's homepage   Email Arrietty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm so sorry to hear this, what dreadful news.

--------------------
i-church

Online Mission and Ministry

Posts: 6634 | From: Coventry, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive]

May God grant her eternal rest.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Actually it's hard to imagine Erin wanting to rest if there was work to be done.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Punk the Pious

Biblical™ Punk
# 683

- Posted      Profile for St. Punk the Pious   Author's homepage   Email St. Punk the Pious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
I keep coming back to read this thread and can barely contain the tears. But I have to say, RuthW's signature has struck *exactly* the right note, and I think Erin would have totally loved it.

Yes, RuthW's sig is brilliant. [Tear]

--------------------
The Society of St. Pius *
Wannabe Anglican, Reader
My reely gud book.

Posts: 4161 | From: Choral Evensong | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Unfeature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016