homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Dead Horses   » Homosexuality and Christianity (Page 19)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  92  93  94 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Homosexuality and Christianity
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mousethief - so would I, but I have to be here!

What's your excuse? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Morbid curiosity?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
geelongboys
Apprentice
# 4870

- Posted      Profile for geelongboys   Author's homepage   Email geelongboys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
hooray...relevance......for some of us..this is an important personal and theological discussion...with major life implications.

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Love the sinner, hate your own sin.

Posts: 13 | From: Perth,Australia | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You're absolutely correct geelongboys and forgive me if I made it sound like I don't think it's important. Some of the topic can be uncomfortable, however, at least to me. But that doesn't detract at all from its importance.

--------------------

Sine Nomine*

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This program was on my public television station last night. I highly recommend it. Somewhat harrowing though.

quote:
Family Fundamentals
This is a personal attempt to answer an explosive question: what happens when conservative Christian families have children who are homosexual? Armed with a digital camera, filmmaker Arthur Dong takes viewers into the private and public lives of three families who respond to gay offspring by actively campaigning against gay rights. 'Family Fundamentals' is a battlefield report from America's profound and disquieting culture war over homosexuality.

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry for the double post.

I found this link for those who are interested.

Elizabeth Anne

Altar Girl
# 3555

- Posted      Profile for Elizabeth Anne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw that program too, Sine. It was really something; quite harrowing, particularly the very last scene.

--------------------
Born under a bad sign with a blue moon in my eyes...

Posts: 974 | From: New York | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What was the last scene?
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
from the above link :

quote:
His family agrees to participate in Dong's documentary but refuses the moment he arrives. When his parents recommend electric shock therapy, Mathews loses hope and packs his bags for home.
Kyrie Eleison.

P

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Merseymike
Shipmate
# 3022

- Posted      Profile for Merseymike   Email Merseymike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Philip Larkin was right.

--------------------
Christianity is not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be experienced

Posts: 3360 | From: Walked the plank | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chocoholic:
Cat and little kittens.
[Love]

[Love] OTTERS!! [Love]

Snowdrop!

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TonyK:
The thread is long enough already - please take domestic and animal discussions to a more suitable venue.

[Embarrassed]

Sorry, was away and catching up...

David
still thinks baby otters are adorable, albeit not specifically gay as such

--------------------

Big Steve

Ship's Navigator
# 3274

- Posted      Profile for Big Steve   Author's homepage   Email Big Steve   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sine - just read the link.

It breaks my heart. In Ireland today I do not know any Christians who are openly gay. The article struck a chord. Not everyone has the strength to be openly gay and risk losing everything they once belonged to. All I can think of is that there must be people I know who know they are gay but would rather live in quiet denial, maybe even married, maybe even speaking out against homosexuality, maybe even hoping for a cure.

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/stephenhillmusic

Posts: 1269 | From: Dublin. | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Originally posted by Jimi Kendricks:
All I can think of is that there must be people I know who know they are gay

I think you can be absolutely sure of that.
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I do not know any Christians who are openly gay
In my youth, I knew a lovely Christian bloke who was gay. But I didn't get to find out that he was gay until several years after he had committed suicide on account of it, and was featured on a TV programme. That's how I found out that my friend had been gay - from a programme on TV.

And yes his dad's response was to start a 'ministry to homosexuals' in the local area called 'U-turn Anglia' - you can guess its aims from the name I think.

Later on there was a whole TV programme devoted to my friend (who was called Simon Harvey if anyone has heard of him) - called 'Better Dead than Gay?'. I still have it on video (this was about 12 years ago) - very painful to watch the horror of what this guy had gone through, being unable to reconcile his sexual orientation to the evangelical faith which he was active in, to such an extent that he had to take his life. In fact his funeral was the first I'd ever attended, and must have been so hard for our minister to lead (he knew about the gay stuff by then, but the parents wanted it hushed up).

Very very sad business.

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Merseymike
Shipmate
# 3022

- Posted      Profile for Merseymike   Email Merseymike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I still have that video, too, Gracious Rebel. It was an extremely sad story ; saddest of all was a statement made by his father, which I also have on video, that he would rather he died than had come out as gay, because at least he ius in Heaven.

With that sort of thinking, its clear why he could never accept his son and buries his grief in a branch of the ex-gay movement. Fortunately, these groups are extremely unsuccessful.Lets hope the more open environment in today's society will mean there will be less cases like this in future, although whilst anyone is caught up in that sort of belief structure, it won't be easy for them to escape. I have friends who have, though, thank God.

--------------------

Merseymike
Shipmate
# 3022

quote:
In Ireland today I do not know any Christians who are openly gay
These links may be of help

Reach - ecumenical group in Dublin. http://www.reachireland.net/index.htm

Julian Fellowship PO Box 5155, Dublin 14
Support and self-development groups for Christian lesbian women.

Reach (Cork's Gay Christian Group)-Tuesday 7.30pm-9pm (021) 431 9008

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm. I came down here to see if any of the anti-Gene Robinson apprentices like Soldier4Jesus or Norm had shown up.

[Confused]

Guess not. Just not a fashionable enough a neighborhood, I guess.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And of course, Gracious Rebel's story is why this discussion isn't really a dead horse at all. The Presbyterian email network here in NZ is busily thrashing around on it, with one person even suggesting the death penalty as listed in the OT should still apply. Those of us who are lesbians (no gay man seems to be joining in) have been arguing till we're blue in the face, but some days you really wonder whether its worth it.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Orb

Eye eye Cap'n!
# 3256

- Posted      Profile for Orb   Author's homepage   Email Orb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
[QB]Kyrie Eleison.

What does this mean again? I heard it a lot in the Orthodox worship at Greenbelt.

I am still sitting on the nail in the middle of the fence when it comes to homosexuality, in pretty much every issue, except one: that gay people are "allowed" to be Christians and should be welcomed in the Church and our churches.

Just thought I'd tell you.

--------------------
“You cannot buy the revolution. You cannot make the revolution. You can only be the revolution. It is in your spirit, or it is nowhere.” Ursula K. Le Guin, The Dispossessed

Posts: 5032 | From: Easton, Bristol | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

Rob, a seach engine is a wonderful thing to avoid exposing ignorance (and so easy):
quote:
Kyrie eleison \Kyr"i*e e*lei"son\ [Gr. ky`rie 'elei^son .]
1. (R. C. Ch.) Greek words, meaning ``Lord, have mercy upon
us,'' used in the Mass, the breviary offices, the litany
of the saints, etc. --Addis & Arnold.

2. The name given to the response to the Commandments, in the
service of the Church of England and of the Protestant
Episcopal Church.

...and how does sitting on that nail feel?
Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

- Posted      Profile for Father Gregory   Author's homepage   Email Father Gregory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Might a good thing be if people knew more of the scientific background behind sexual orientation? I know it's low level moral reasoning (important caveat) but a relative of mine has eased up on this issue precisely because she is now impressed by the evidence that orientation is a "given" rather than a "choice."

There is still another hurdle to overcome of course, but it's easily answered with another question. "If sexual orientation is not a choice why is there discrimination against gays in the arguments for celibacy?"

I know there will still be some who say "Tough ... that's your cross. I've got mine," (I'm paraphrasing a no longer living Orthodox bishop, second hand) ... but the key test is reasonableness. Thinking about my own church for a moment; Orthodoxy is dead against enforced celibacy in the priesthood. Cannot this stance and argument be extended for the same reasons? Just asking.

So long as folk talk theology IRRESPECTIVE of the scientific (as well as personal) evidence; we are bound to keep talking past each other in vacuo.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
Find Your Way Around the Plot
TheOrthodoxPlot™

Posts: 15099 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Orb

Eye eye Cap'n!
# 3256

- Posted      Profile for Orb   Author's homepage   Email Orb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So what is the scientific evidence?

(I don't think a search engine will help me on this one, but point taken...)

--------------------
“You cannot buy the revolution. You cannot make the revolution. You can only be the revolution. It is in your spirit, or it is nowhere.” Ursula K. Le Guin, The Dispossessed

Merseymike
Shipmate
# 3022

Obviously there's no absolute proof, Rob, but the BMA , in the last age of consent debate, acknowledged that sexual orientation did exist and was likely to be integral to the person.

There is also precisely no evidence of a scientific nature that it is a choice, and the overwhelming evidence from the experience of gay and lesbian people is that it certainly isn't.

--------------------

dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course it has nothing to do with choice.

Who in their right minds would listen to Barbara Streisand?

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

- Posted      Profile for Father Gregory   Author's homepage   Email Father Gregory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Being pedantic, absolute proof is impossible in science. Cogent explanatory theories that make sense of the evidence are. There is research that suggests that hormonal conditions in the mother at conception and therafter skew the orientation graph. This was in the New Scientist I think not long ago but I haven't got a link. There is no suggestion that such hormonal conditions are abnormal or atypical.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
TheOrthodoxPlot™

that Wikkid Person
Shipmate
# 4446

- Posted      Profile for that Wikkid Person   Author's homepage   Email that Wikkid Person   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
David Cross's recent comedy CD has the argument that he can't picture a teenaged kid saying "Everyone at school hates me and treats me like shit. I know! I think I'll choose to be gay! That'll fix all of my problems!"

--------------------
We have only one truth and one reality. Let's make the most of them.

Posts: 1007 | From: Almonte, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Dyfrig:
Who in their right minds would listen to Barbara Streisand?

Somebody who likes her singing?

--------------------

dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
Somebody who likes her singing?

...[long thoughtful pause]..........

Nope. That sentence doesn't make any sense to me. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
that Wikkid Person
Shipmate
# 4446

- Posted      Profile for that Wikkid Person   Author's homepage   Email that Wikkid Person   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps someone who likes to dress up as her, wearing a false nose?

--------------------
We have only one truth and one reality. Let's make the most of them.

Posts: 1007 | From: Almonte, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

Ahem...I don't like Barbra Streisand. (Or "Barbra Strident" as I like to call her.)

But then I did date girls, and enjoy it, up through my college years. Perhaps that makes a difference.

On another note (Ouch!), I do have a gay friend who claims he knew he was "different" as early as age four, whatever that proves.

Merseymike
Shipmate
# 3022

I feel like a walking cliche.

Streisand is wonderful. And I knew I was 'different' at a very young age as well...can't say why, just did.

--------------------

Big Steve

Ship's Navigator
# 3274

- Posted      Profile for Big Steve   Author's homepage   Email Big Steve   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rob,

I can't believe how lazy you are.
Why not put "scientific evidence" and "gay" in google and click "search".

It's not that hard.

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/stephenhillmusic

Posts: 1269 | From: Dublin. | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
But then I did date girls, and enjoy it, up through my college years. Perhaps that makes a difference.

I didn't realize there were adult converts to homosexuality. [Eek!]

My mom likes Streisand -- does that make her a gay male?

These stereotypes really leave me cold.

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

You get a free toaster if you join up now, Mousethief! [Wink]

I am not into Streisand or most of the stereotypical divas either...

David
Don't own a single record by Barbra, Bette or Judy
Heard of Bette Davis, but never saw her movies...

--------------------

Merseymike
Shipmate
# 3022

Surely you like Bette Davis ? She's wonderful. That scene in 'Whatever Happened to Baby Jane where she sings I've Written a letter to Daddy', and when she serves a rat and a dead bird up to Joan Crawford - oh, its just the very best camp has to offer.
The fact that Bette and Joan genuinely loathed each other makes it all the better.

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

Um... I've never seen a movie with Bette Davis in it. [Embarrassed]

David
does not have Bette Davis eyes

--------------------

Merseymike
Shipmate
# 3022

You poor deprived thing.

--------------------

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

Well, you really ought to, or we'll come and take away your card. Although what your particular card says, I'm sure I don't know.

I'm just kidding, David.

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

Or as some would say,

You poor depraved thing.

(Just trying to avoid hostly reprimand for getting off topic.)

Cardinal Pole Vault

Papal Bull
# 4193

- Posted      Profile for Cardinal Pole Vault   Author's homepage   Email Cardinal Pole Vault   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a major thing for Tina Turner.

Love a bit of "Nutbush City Limits (90's Version)" [Yipee]

--------------------
"Make tea, not war"

Posts: 986 | From: Insula Tiberina | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

I think all homosexuals are going to burn in Hell!

We're on topic, Tony. I swear we are.

Rather fond of Patti Labelle, myself.

Orb

Eye eye Cap'n!
# 3256

quote:
Originally posted by Jimi Kendricks:
Rob,

I can't believe how lazy you are.
Why not put "scientific evidence" and "gay" in google and click "search".

It's not that hard.

Sorry. I tried it once before under "evolutionary + biology + homosexuality" but I should have persevered.

I still don't know what to think after doing as you said and reading a bit. It's all very confusing.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I just got a toaster, and I've had my wife so long the warranty's expired so I think I'd better politely decline, David.

--------------------

Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

(Trying to get it back on track [Big Grin] ) ...

What have you found confusing Rob please?

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
TheOrthodoxPlot™

Cardinal Pole Vault

Papal Bull
# 4193

- Posted      Profile for Cardinal Pole Vault   Author's homepage   Email Cardinal Pole Vault   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
I think all homosexuals are going to burn in Hell!

I'd rather be lightly toasted..

--------------------
"Make tea, not war"

Posts: 986 | From: Insula Tiberina | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

Well there is Purgatory dear Cardinal ... for your own good of course! [Mad] Gas Mark 4

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
TheOrthodoxPlot™

Liopleurodon

Mighty sea creature
# 4836

- Posted      Profile for Liopleurodon   Email Liopleurodon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was probably aware of my sexuality from the age of three or four... I can't say I knew I was a lesbian because I didn't know they existed until I was ten. I did, however, know with absolute certainty that I would never fall in love with a man at any age whatsoever. I was completely and utterly tortured about this until my mid teens. I suppose that's what gets me now. At 22, I'm pretty thick-skinned when people make remarks about my sexuality: water off a duck's back. However, while thrashing this issue out with a couple of evangelicals recently, I wanted to scream at them, "Don't you understand that you are condemning CHILDREN? This is not something that suddenly hits you at eighteen. Don't you realise that gay teenagers are four times more likely to commit suicide than straight ones?" [Mad] That is the real tragedy behind this issue. Whatever anyone says about "love the sinner, hate the sin," the distinction is too subtle for kids. It doesn't work as a disclaimer for intolerance.

Btw I worship and adore Dusty Springfield [Not worthy!] (oh look, another Christian driven to the brink of suicide by guilt about her sexuality [Waterworks] ) and Patti Labelle, Sugar Pie DeSanto, Aretha Franklin, Diana Ross (to a point - she's not as good as Betty Everett [Not worthy!] ) Marilyn Monroe etc. Even have a taste for Shirley Bassey. Hmm, on this evidence I would appear to be a gay man. [Ultra confused]

--------------------
Our God is an awesome God. Much better than that ridiculous God that Desert Bluffs has. - Welcome to Night Vale

Posts: 1921 | From: Lurking under the ship | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Orb

Eye eye Cap'n!
# 3256

quote:
Originally posted by Fr. Gregory:
(Trying to get it back on track [Big Grin] ) ...

What have you found confusing Rob please?

I think I find Romans 1 confusing. If I could have a reasonable, fair, wide-ranging exegesis of this passage it would solve a lot of my problems...

--------------------

Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

Romans 1 is mainly continuing to set the scene for the epistle by linking inexcusable idolatry with moral decline. St. Paul places this in the context of God's coming judgement and present salvation.

Those who regard active homosexuality as incompatible with the Judaeo-Christian faith often use this passage to justify their position. Those who seek to defend monogamous loving gay unions will claim that St. Paul's target is pederasty and temple prostitution ... both quite commonplace in the Graeco-Roman world. (The pederasty involved the sexual relationship between an older man and a youth almost as a rite of passage but with, usually, but not always, a heterosexual relationship as its conclusion. There were severe penalties where such relationships involved pre-pubescent boys though).

I think that attempts to legitimise homosexuality via this route are not very persuasive (ie., the different context) ... but that's just my opinion. I think that this interpretation is rather contrived. I think that if one was to justify today active homosexuality in a monogamous context one would have to do that largely on the grounds that our understanding of sexuality and human development has moved on and that idolatry has nothing to do with it. After all, we no longer ascribe epilepsy to demonic possession do we? ... yet this is how Jesus handled it. I think THIS argument is the clincher.

[ 30. August 2003, 23:20: Message edited by: Fr. Gregory ]

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
TheOrthodoxPlot™

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  92  93  94 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016