homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Dead Horses   » Homosexuality and Christianity (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  92  93  94 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Homosexuality and Christianity
St Rumwald
Apprentice
# 964

- Posted      Profile for St Rumwald   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
So are you painting all heterosexuals with the same brush or not?

Erm, no. What a curious idea. I apologise unreservedly to the sane among the heterosexual community.

Angels & genitalia...

Surely you jest?

They would be entirely superfluous and redundant. God is not known for creating things with pointless parts to them (apart from the male part of humankind that is) Why one earth would they have them, having no need to reproduce? Are you arguing from not having specific references to them NOT having them?

I'm unaware of a single instance of their depiction or description with them or mention of them (though of course I can be- and usually am- proved wrong).

Corpus cani

Ship's Anachronism
# 1663

- Posted      Profile for Corpus cani     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[22] I guess I must be a screaming queen because I laughed out loud and had tears running down my face as I read the first few posts (especially loved the "I am the Lambeth Conference" bit!) but then got really huffy and p***ed off when people starting writing serious comments. Snapped my handbag shut and all that could be heard was the sound of my stillies clacking down the hall.... :x

(that particular smiley means "my Bishop may be monitoring this site...)

--------------------
Bishop Lord Corpus Cani the Tremulous of Buzzing St Helens.

Posts: 4435 | From: Trumpton | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf

Ship's curiosity
# 1283

- Posted      Profile for Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf   Email Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How many angels can w@nk on the head of a pin?

Er, I'll go to bed now, shall I?

--------------------
"There is a divine discontent which has always helped to better things."

Posts: 1123 | From: Floating in the blue | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St Rumwald:
Erm, no. What a curious idea. I apologise unreservedly to the sane among the heterosexual community.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
3M Matt
Shipmate
# 1675

- Posted      Profile for 3M Matt   Email 3M Matt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Joan,

In your extensive (and very helpful) list of biblical Homosexuality references, you missed Judges 19.

Which incidently wins my vote as one of the sickest passages of literature ever written..particularly as I'm not sure if the girl was dead or alive when she was cut into a dozen pieces....

--------------------
3M Matt.

Posts: 1227 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf

Ship's curiosity
# 1283

- Posted      Profile for Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf   Email Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cheers Matt! So *clears throat, adjusts bowtie*, here's number 11...

Judges 19: It's Sodom revisited! Visitor in a town, whose people want to rape him. Visitor's host offers his concubine, they accept and rape her until morning and then killed her. Nice.

See comments on the Sodom story, it's the same thing again.

Also, one further comment to these stories: anyone who works with victims will tell you that rape is not about sex - it's about power and abuse. There are an awful lot of rape cases of men by heterosexual men.

--------------------

3M Matt
Shipmate
# 1675

- Posted      Profile for 3M Matt   Email 3M Matt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I see what you are getting at Joan, but be careful not to generalise . Rape can be about many things.

Some rape is about sex. It's about sexual gratification from sadism.

Some is about power, as you say.

Some is almost political...like when soliders go raping and pillaging in wars.

Incidently, can you explain a little more fully your theory about Lot (and the judges thing) and what the sin being committed was? this whole hospitality thing?

--------------------
3M Matt.

John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh blast! Well give me a dose of CC's (22).

Just when I thought the thread was getting fun again... St Sebastian. That's who I was thinking of. Last time he posted he was thinking of joining the Orthodox. Well there'll be no Mardi Gras there, let me tell you.

How resplendently butchy you look with the bowtie, JtD - just the thing to catch the Canon's eye.

Thankyou and Goodnight.

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf

Ship's curiosity
# 1283

Matt - it's in the further reading. Try Genesis 18 & 19 and Genesis again specifically.

Why thankyou my dear Coot, I'm glad you like the tie *gives a distinctly unbutch blush* - do you really think she'll like it? And I must say your lipstick is looking perfectly wonderful today.

Oh my dear corpie, you shouldn't snap your handbag like that, you'll break a nail! Darling Sieg can tell you how utterly traumatic that is. But I must say you look divine in those heels (from a purely Platonic point of view, of course ).

--------------------

Russ
Old salt
# 120

- Posted      Profile for Russ   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lizzabee:
where does he fit into Christ's church? Either he hides who he is and lives a closet life while in church or he just does not go to church. Should homosexuality and Christianity be that mutually exclusive?

I don't know what church you go to, but none of the services I've been to have required every member of the congregation to make public their sexual preferences.

"I shouldn't have to hide" isn't an excuse for shouting from the rooftops.

Not sure if this is on Joan's list of standard attitudes (?platitudes?) or not, but it seems to me not impossible to hold simultaneously the belief that God loves us all individually with the belief that homo and hetero are not equally valid "lifestyle choices".

Suppose I have sexual feelings for my sister. It doesn't mean that I'm bad, doesn't mean that I'm less moral than anybody else, doesn't mean that God rejects me, but also doesn't necessarily mean that I should try to force everybody else to accept that a sexual relationship between the two of us would necessarily be moral just because I want it.

If you're still not convinced, try substituting for "sister" any other inappropriate object of sexual feelings.

Russ

--------------------
Wish everyone well; the enemy is not people, the enemy is wrong ideas

Posts: 3169 | From: rural Ireland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf

Ship's curiosity
# 1283

Russ, it's a version of 5). Also known as "love the sinner, hate the sin".

--------------------

calvin's granny
Apprentice
# 1731

- Posted      Profile for calvin's granny   Author's homepage   Email calvin's granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Joan the Dwarf,

Thank you for your long and detailed replies to my questions on context. I'll try and post a reply in the next few days when I have time to consider your arguments thoughtfully

Posts: 3 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf

Ship's curiosity
# 1283

How long, O Lord, how long? How long are we, your children, part of your creation, to be cast out into the wilderness as scapegoats, sacrificed on the altars of fear and prejudice, shut out, made into silent shadows, denied, ridiculed, dehumanised, made less than that we are. Our love, our souls and bodies declared unclean, in the sight of the God who threw down the prison walls of the Law and let in the light of the law of love! How long will ignorance and fear keep us out? We are the body of Christ; by one spirit we were all baptised. How long, O Lord, how long?

--------------------

Corpus cani

Ship's Anachronism
# 1663

- Posted      Profile for Corpus cani     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Russ:-

no comment on your message, but your signature was DEEPLY offensive. Everybody with a vaguest degree of insight knows that life is a game of cricket and God is an Englishman. After all, His Son played square leg for Lancashire.

--------------------
Bishop Lord Corpus Cani the Tremulous of Buzzing St Helens.

Posts: 4435 | From: Trumpton | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Russ
Old salt
# 120

- Posted      Profile for Russ   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Joan,

"Hate the sin and love the sinner" is an excellent maxim, and I do indeed believe that this is what our attitude ought to be.

But I don't identify with your attitude #5, because it labels all homosexual acts as sinful, and this seems to me too simplistic.

I struggle with this, and don't have a fully-thought-out view, but it seems to me that it is choices rather than acts which are morally good or bad. It does not seem impossible that in some cases the best achievable outcome might be two people of the same gender setting up house together. Exactly what acts they get up to in the privacy of their own home is their business.

We're all broken people in our different ways. But let us not set up our brokenness as an ideal to which others should aspire.

It is the shouting about sexuality, the demands for equal status, the militancy which seems to me wrong, unloving, putting one's own feelings before the feelings of others. The Christian answer to persecution is not a counter-persecution. People with "old-fashioned" views are also to be loved and tolerated.

Babybear was right to say that "people need to find a way of living with themselves", but not at the expense of others. Becoming completely defined by some aspect of ourselves is something to be resisted.

Don't know if this answers Lizzabee's question...

Russ

--------------------
Wish everyone well; the enemy is not people, the enemy is wrong ideas

Posts: 3169 | From: rural Ireland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
3M Matt
Shipmate
# 1675

quote:
What liberating words! NOTHING separates us from God. Not homosexuality, not disbelief in certain creeds, Bible passages, litanies or opinions of other believers. Not sin, not death, not anything. My fundamentalist friends, do you realize the freeing beauty of those words??? Nothing!! NOTHING! Will you take those words to heart? Will you believe the Holy Word Of God when it says NOTHING separates you from God??? Or will you continue to thump your Bible and point out all those who *you* believe have been separated from God?

The above is taken from the website whosoever.org that you linked to Joan, thanks for that.

A very good website it is too. Rational and balanced.

However, the above quote (which is her comment on the famous passage in Romans 8)seems to me to be performing a bit of slight of hand with the wording of the scripture.

Romans 8v39 says nothing can separate us from the love of God. This is a dramatically different thing to saying "nothing can separate us from God".

To use the parable of the lost son in Luke 15, the point is that the son was never separated from the father's love even thought he WAS separated from the father by his rebellion.

There is no contradiction at all, in saying "God loves homosexuals" and at the same time saying "homosexuals are in rebellion" than there is in saying "The Father loves his son" and at the same time saying "The son was in rebellion"

The writer ends up saying "Sin cannot separate us from God" but what is sin, but exactly that: "Separation from God"? Sin is the great devide between us and God which He bridges through Love he showed at the cross.

If Sin did not separate us from God then it would not matter. But Sin matters hugely. It matters enough for God to lay down the life of his own Son to defeat it.

The difference between saying "nothing can separate us from God" and "nothing can separate us from the love of God" is enormous and has far reaching implications.

--------------------
3M Matt.

3M Matt
Shipmate
# 1675

quote:
They would be entirely superfluous and redundant. God is not known for creating things with pointless parts to them

I don't know about that. The male human body is fairly extravagant for what is essentially just a life support system for a penis.

--------------------
3M Matt.

simon 2
Shipmate
# 1524

- Posted      Profile for simon 2     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi

As there is some experience of these things on this board I have a genuine question:

Why do some gay blokes camp it up?

That is a serious question.

My only conclusion is that for the same reason that some lads, for want of a better expression, lad it up. Loudness, competitiveness etc etc.

My only experience of a gay friend was that he was a lad but just had male partners, although he found the 'scene' very destructive on him emmotionally and I think spiritually. But he has moved away from where I live now and I no longer see him, so any questions I may have once been able to ask I can no longer do so.

cheers

--------------------
sorry for my spelling and bad gramma

Posts: 495 | From: in a forest | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Joan - thank you for posting such a beautiful prayer. You echo a Psalm (can't remember which, I'm afraid) and articualte a deep need with great spiritual sensitivity. Thank you.

Matt - your penultimate posting saddened me. While you may be making a reasonable exigetical point, please remember that this is not an abstract issue for many. There are real people involved in all of this who can only be hurt by statements such as "Homosexuals are in rebellion [against God]", however you intended it. I have known peopel who have attempted suicide because they are both gay and christian, when other christians have expressed what they see as an objective view of "what the Bible teaches". These others were not intending to be destructive - but when you're in a vulnerable position you can get hurt very easily indeed. I know you don't intend to cause offence, but please take care how you make your points. (The other post - about the penis - I found hilarious!)

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf

Ship's curiosity
# 1283

Maybe this is more than just number 5... Ok then:

23) I'd be fine with homosexuals if they would just shut up about being gay. They're doing more harm than good trying to shove it down other peoples' throats, I mean why do people insist on being camp in public, can't they just do it in the privacy of their own homes, rather than in front of ordinary decent people? [I am an ostrich]

I find this perhaps the most depressing view - certainly, that's why I was depressed last night. It's the view that we'd be acceptable so long we kept quiet, so long as people could blank it out of their minds that we were gay and not have to deal with it. That "what you do is your own business", which means: "it's shameful but I'm not going to get into an argument with you". But what if we don't think it's shameful? What if we want to bring the whole of who we are into our Eucharistic community? If we want to celebrate our love and all the ways in our lives in which God works?

Of course we have to treat other people lovingly - that's why I do not advocate Peter Tatchell-style campagning However I do not think that the ideas of stumbling block and loving extend to retreating into silence and shadows and acting ashamed of part of who and what we are, just to pander to other people's prejudices. Personally, I find public displays of heterosexual love (kissing, cuddling etc) disgusting: but I don't try and make them hide because of what I feel, however much I wish they would!

There are the two extremes that we have to be warey of: hiding so that no-one sees us, and getting up on a soapbox all the time. In the middle lies the openness in love that everyone can learn from. That's where the challenges are on both sides: a lot of hets want us to shut up because any degree of visibility means they have to confront these issues and that makes them uncomfortable, so they blame gays for making them feel bad. A lot of the time 23) can be a cover for "if you shut up I won't have to think about it and won't find my world-view threatened". Similarly, gays can react to the threatening nature of the argument by being over-agressive, un-loving and not engaging in dialogue.

I know I keep on getting it wrong, being too soap-boxy, and for a variety of reasons tend to get over-angry in these discussions. This is something I've got to learn - you lot are helping, and I'm sorry for those who got on the wrong end of it. But I'm not going to go to the other extreme and become invisible.

--------------------

Paul W.

Shipmate
# 1450

- Posted      Profile for Paul W.   Author's homepage   Email Paul W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hang in there Joan. For what it's worth, being around the Ship for the last few weeks, and reading this thread in particular, has done an awful lot to change my own attitudes to sexuality. I think I started off somewhere near #5, but I'm getting closer to the 10-11-12-14 kind of thing now.

--------------------
"It's just a ride" - Bill Hicks

Blog
Flickr

Posts: 2835 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[24] I do not define people, as such, as fundamentally "heterosexual, homosexual, or bisexual," but instead think in terms of what we do with our genitals. As part of my obedience to my faith, I do not believe in genital sexual intercourse (which, as I understand it, is genital penetration of any bodily orifice, and/or deliberate stimulation to orgasm) outside of male-female marriage. I am, happily, an active member of the gay community and of the leather community. I cheerily am OK with, advocate, practise, and/or teach (in at least one club I am a member of) practically everything else under the sun (within safety and consensuality limits) apart from the previously defined notions of sexual intercourse. (No-one ever seems to suggest that two (or more) men or women could have intimate, loving, physically affectionate relationships without sexual intercourse. It works well for me is all I can say.) So that's it. I hope this was not too explicit; I try to be careful. But then since I am making distinctions between specific actions which I believe to be forbidden -- and a way of life -- well, here is my own position on the matter. [I am not a number; I am a free man.]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Matt the MM, do you concede that we are all sinners ?

Pyx_e

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
the famous rachel
Shipmate
# 1258

- Posted      Profile for the famous rachel   Email the famous rachel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK. As a good little evangelical (GLE), I started off as a combination of 5 and 7 - mostly because I've had gay friends for as long as I've been a Christian. I don't come froma GLE family, and therefore was didn't form my views before I started meeting gays.

These days, I'm not sure where on Joan's list I come. I would have to say that having read and read the Sodom and Gomorrah Story, I would never have realised that it was useable as an argument against homosexuality if I hadn't been told. I thought it was about a City in which there was not one righteous man to be found - this being the final implication of gen Ch 18, v 16-33 - and an illustration of quite how unrighteous it all was, is a particularly nasty gang rape. It never occured to me that the point of the passage was in any way homosexuality.

In terms of the passages in Leviticus, I think Joan is correct to point out some of the other commandments in the same part of Leviticus - which we now ignore as we think them totally irrelevant. A lot of OT laws relate to hygiene - things like the laws about spots and blemishes and nasty skin diseases - and just aren't relevant in our society, although they were very important to keep a nomadic tribe alive. Bear with me - I am not about to say that homosexuality is unhygienic. However, anal sex is a pretty good way of spreading nasty STDs - as is heterosexual sex. I read somewhere, however, that without lubricants etc (which they didn't have then) the more forceful nature of anal sex, makes bleediing and hence the spread of infection more likely. This is not really relevant now, but in a society with no KY jelly (or whatever) and no condoms, an act which has no procreative purpose, but which easily spreads infection, could easily be forbidden on grounds of hygiene. But, we don't keep the Jewish hygiene laws today. So basically, if you want to ban homosexuality on this basis, I reckon we'd also better reinstitute burning mildewed clothes and sending people out of the town if they have particularly bad acne. Any takers?

However, the passages in Paul writings, I struggle more with. Having said that I struggle with a lot of things in Paul. Joan's right in saying that the translation is difficult, and frequently inconsistent. Those of us who are women here have to figure out whether to cover our heads in church and remove oursleves from any positions of authority in the church, before we start casting stones at homosexuals. Cultural context is important, and should be considered before we start leaping into condemnation of people on the grounds of biblical statements.

In the end the 2 greatest commandments are ...

1) Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength
2) Love your neighbour as yourself.

I can see no way that being gay or performing gay sex acts in the context of a loving relationship can prevent you from keeping the second of these. As for the first - even if we interpret those bible passages conservatively and homosexuals are disobedient to God, they can still be doing the best they can to love him as much as they can. Maybe the rest of us should start loving them more - they are our neighbour as much as the next person.

All the best,

Rachel.

--------------------
A shrivelled appendix to the body of Christ.

Posts: 912 | From: In the lab. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
DrakeDetective
Apprentice
# 1778

- Posted      Profile for DrakeDetective   Email DrakeDetective   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is pretty plain to me.

I am no Falwell or Phelps. I don't hate gays. But the Bible says, and life proves, that male/female relationships are the natural thing.

The most simple look at physiology makes it clear that homosexual conduct is not natural to the human design.

Having said that, I harbor no hate or fear of gays or lesbians. I believe they should be reached out to. But I also believe that a truly repentant homosexual can be brought to celibacy OR heterosexual relationships (and yes, I allow that the homosexual inclinations may never cease, and celibacy is the moral option.) Just as one can be have bigotry, addictions, and hate removed by the power of Christ, so can the homosexual. They're no worse than anyone else who is not living by God's standard, and they need our compassion, but also in being compassionate, we should not go through gymnastics to come up with a supposedly "Biblical" excuse for things that are obviously not in God's plan/will for human relations.

Posts: 16 | From: right of left, left of right, above center | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems to me, DrakeDetective, that you have a tendency to play God. You should no more DEMAND that a homosexual be celibate than a homosexual DEMAND that you be celibate. It is between each person and God to work out what is right in that circumstance. Now finding out where Drake's body is resting, that would be a far more productive use of your time. I live in Drake country, and get fed up of people asking in which churchyard they can find his grave!!

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Quinine
Shipmate
# 1668

- Posted      Profile for Quinine   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen:
17.Another thread on sexuality.Arrrrrrgh.....[I am Stephen]

Fortunately, this discussion isn’t about sexuality: it’s about justice. And how we interpret God's love. And how one should be faithful to God when the chips are down. And I don’t see how any thinking Christian can ignore it.

It was partly my response to this issue (along with such old chestnuts as the doctrine of hell) which defines the Christian I now am – the type of church I go to, the way I approach the Bible, the way I think or talk (on the rare occasions I’m brave enough to do so) about my faith.

It is an important issue for me (and I see for others who have posted on this thread) because I am faced with a particularly intense conflict between my ordinary sense of justice and the views which appear to be held by some writers of the Bible.

There is no moral reason (convincing to me) outside the Bible why gay couples cannot have a committed sexual relationship recognised and blessed by the surrounding community in the way that straight couples can. I see great suffering caused to gay Christians by the church’s refusal to accept that a gay relationship can be ‘a valid lifestyle choice’.

So, do I accept the prohibition of homosexual acts because I see it condemned in the Bible, despite every protest of my rebellious conscience?

Erm… well, I’ve never been much of a rebel, but…

No, I jolly well don’t. Am I by doing this following my own conscience rather than what I understand in the Bible? Well, yes. In this instance. And from that point there really is no turning back. In fear and trembling, the whole development of my faith then differs substantially from someone who comes to a different conclusion.

Now I read Joan’s summary of alternative interpretations of the troublesome passages with interest. So Paul was not necessarily a gay-basher? I’m very pleased for him.

Posts: 252 | From: In a fen | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
DrakeDetective
Apprentice
# 1778

- Posted      Profile for DrakeDetective   Email DrakeDetective   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never seen so much pure desire to plainly ignore Biblical and biological facts. Why do any of you BENEFIT by jumping into obscure and questionable loopholes?

Part of the reason you probably struggle with is that pure reason and conscience tells you that homosexuality is not standard for humanity.

If I were an atheist, I would still have serious philosophical differences with homosexuality. The fact that I am a Christian only provides a definite moral law.

As to celibacy, I'd hold homosexuals to the same standard I do unmarried straight couples. Abstinance. The only thing is, in this case, I can find nothing in the Bible that would accept anything less than total abstinance from homosexual acts.

Oh some try to rationalize it because of what they "feel" or what God supposedly tells them, but God didn't write the Bible to go around and provide exception clauses to everyone that had attractions to goats, relatives,or members of the same sex. Nature is nature, right is right.

I am what some consider a "aberrant" Christian, and I admit there are many misinterpretations of Scripture in the church, but prayer, study, and research have led me to my current and assured position on this issue.

I harbor no hate or fear for the homosexual, any more than I fear or hate those in adultery, abuse, or any other lifestyle contrary to God's standard.

Like I say, I'd love to believe that our behaviour really didn't matter. But God has set things up, and His system is the one we are called as Christians to follow. Homosexuality is simply not in that plan according to any measured and accurate reading of the Scriptures, nor is it scientifically or physiologically correct.

Doesn't ANYONE understand what I am trying to say here?

Posts: 16 | From: right of left, left of right, above center | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
3M Matt
Shipmate
# 1675

quote:
Matt - your penultimate posting saddened me. While you may be making a reasonable exigetical point, please remember that this is not an abstract issue for many. There are real people involved in all of this who can only be hurt by statements such as "Homosexuals are in rebellion [against God]", however you intended it.

I stand by my statement. With the additional statement:
"heterosexuals are equally in rebellion".

I am sure I made this point in an earlier post that I am not in anyway marking out homosexuals as "especially bad". Just that they are bad, exactly like the rest of us. Myself included. Including every human being from Mother Teresa to Charles Manson. With the one exception of Jesus Christ.

In any discussion on anything to do with sin...including homosexuality, I always approach it with the assumption that we are all sinners and there are NO "better sinners" or "worse sinners". (although you'd have to go a long way to be better at sinning than me!)

It seems to me not that we are SINNERS because we SIN, but in fact the other way around: We SIN because we are SINNERS!

The manifestation of actual Sin...of any type...is a symptom of the disease.

When I say that homosexuality is sinful what I mean is that for that particular individual, the disease which we ALL suffer from (Sin) has chosen to mainfest itself in that particular behavioural symptom.

For me, I have the same disease, but different symptoms. Greed, pride, arrogance, lust. They are all on my list of symptoms.

The truth is, that regardless of the symptoms, the consequence of the disease is always the same if left untreated...death.

Fortunately, God has provided a medicine that cures the disease, in Jesus Christ. But just like a medical disease may leave a permenant scar, in the same way, even though we are healed, we are (for the present moment in this life) still suffering residual symptoms of the disease of Sin.

It is like the chickenpox scar I have on my neck. Harmless to me, but a reminder of what I was before I was healed.

So in this sense the sin we commit now as Christians is harmless to ourselves. The only danger of it...like my chickenpox scar...is that it makes us ugly to others.

--------------------
3M Matt.

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
drakedetective, simply because your name interested me, i've been following your posts today. you've posted on three threads. two of them have been on the subject of homosexuality, including the "jerry falwell" one which you had to unearth from the bowels of hell, as it hadn't been posted on previously in quite awhile.

why are you so hung up on this single issue that you have to go looking so deeply for references to it, and ignore all the other wealth of interesting subjects this board has to offer? why are you so fascinated by what consenting adults do in bed, to exclusion of any other subject (except for one post on the "pinups" thread, i think it was...)

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
St Rumwald
Apprentice
# 964

- Posted      Profile for St Rumwald   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Joan...
quote:
I know I keep on getting it wrong, being too soap-boxy, and for a variety of reasons tend to get over-angry in these discussions.

No, no, no. It's only soap boxy and over-angry for people for whom ANY display or open acknowledgement of homosexuality is 'ramming it down our throats'. Some people will never be satisfied.

DrakeDetective...
I'd be interested to know why a

quote:
The most simple look at physiology makes it clear that homosexual conduct is not natural to the human design.
This is perhaps one of the most asinine arguments that crops up time and again. Perhaps you'd care to elaborate?

rachel_o

quote:
I read somewhere, however, that without lubricants etc (which they didn't have then)

Without wishing to elaborate too much, lubricants of animal, plant or human origin would have been then available. But more to the point, the assumption is that sexual relations between two men are usually of a particular kind which, statistically, in fact, comes a poor third.

Abouna
Apprentice
# 290

- Posted      Profile for Abouna     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re: The participation of Lesbian/Gay folk in the Church.

In my years as a priest, I have not yet been able to find an answer to this dilema. My advice to everyone is to come and participate in Church, no matter what else might be happening in their lives.

Abouna

Posts: 25 | From: California, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
3M Matt
Shipmate
# 1675

As a footnote to my comment in my last post that we Sin because we are Sinners, not the other way around.....

Lets not kid ourselves. My heterosexuality is corrupt and sinful anyway. Everything I do is corrupt and sinful. Even when I'm being nice, I'm usually doing it for my own ends ultimately.

Regardless of whether homosexuality is intrinsically sinful or not, it seems to me a slightly irrelevant question. Your homosexuality is as corrupt as my heterosexuality.

Vehmently trying to resist this seems to me to be trying to argue out a little corner of our lives which we can say "this is NOT sinful! Jesus, I don't need YOU in THIS bit of my life, I've already got THIS little bit of my house in order by myself thankyou! I don't need your forgiveness for this bit."

It strikes me as being the last vestiages of our pride taking their stand. This isn't about homsexuality. It's about human nature.

Saying homosexuality (or anything else)isn't sinful
For example, it's like me trying to argue that my giving money to a homeless person yesterday was not sinful. I could show you a thousand bible verses which show how rightous it is.

It doesn't change the fact that the reason I did it was because I was with a girl who I was trying to impress with what a nice guy I am.....

My attempting to argue the points of law on it not being sinful is like the pharasee and misses the point completely. We are so sinful everything we get our grubby hands on..be it sexuality or charity...gets mucked up too.

--------------------
3M Matt.

DrakeDetective
Apprentice
# 1778

Medic, thank you for your reasoned responses. Though not directly for me, I appreciate your feedback here.

Nicole, I have been browsing these boards at random as a new member. I happen to have some beliefs on this issue, so those were the threads I've responded to thusfar. I'm sure you'll see me in many other threads over the course of my time here. It's just the odds. And yes, I will reply to "dead" threads if I feel I have something to say. Who when first coming to a message board doesn't??

St--Please, read some biology and then try to tell me that the human body was designed to be sexually interchangeable..far from even the morality of it, homosexual acts are obviously not "in the flow" of natural actions.

All, I cannot believe that I am the only one here who understands what I'm saying in my posts. What a welcome. *sigh* It's as if I offered someone wine at an anti-drinking league. At any rate, if you're tired of this subject but just want to lend a little *gasp* agreement or something, feel free to email.

And REALLY, I'm not hateful and I DON'T BITE.

Hi gang!

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seems to me the person who has talked the most sense on this thread in the past few days is Abouna.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chast, I have pick up on your comments in another thread.

The Coot.

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf

Ship's curiosity
# 1283

Hello Drake.

I refer you to my earlier exchange with Freddy for an answer to your particular expression of your number 2 views.

Also, people don't struggle with this because they know in their hearts that fundamentalist teaching is right and they're trying to escape it. People struggle with it because extreme and simplistic views are rarely correct, however emotionally tempting they are.

Oh, and your 'biology' argument deserves its own number, thankyou, I forgot about it:

25) A man's penis fits in a woman's vagina. Therefore by natural law homosexual sex is unnatural [I am another type of natural law nut who only thinks about blokes]

--------------------

Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf

Ship's curiosity
# 1283

PS Dear Sibling Drake, it is biologically unnatural to put a headphone earpiece in my ear. I have sinned against the natural flow of my body, I repent before thee, in the absence of Rev Gez.

Moreover I have (woe unto me!) taken unnatural medicines to curb my natural illness. Indeed I verily repent.

As for those spawns of Satan, tampons, I have inserted them where only a manly member should go, ah ah ah I put on dust and ashes.

Ever so slightly more seriously, if you want to go down the line of the 'natural' argument, you're going to have to do it a bit more rigorously. 'Natural' is a very slippery word, as is acknowledged in the literature on the subject; most authors start by defining what they mean by it. 'Natural' as normally used in theological discourse is to do with God's ordained purpose in making something the way it is. So what's God's ordained purpose for sex? Looking at biology, we see its purpose there is for reproduction - penis fits in vagina for the purpose of producing babies. However we are not just biological creatures: as humans we are also emotional and spiritual beings. The Anglican Church at least has long recognised these aspects to sexual relations: intimacy and bonding, personal and spiritual (see eg the 1662 marriage service for couples who can't have children, and the 1958(?) pronouncements on contraception). The 1991 House of Bishops report states that "The potential blessing of this bonding are such that a theology of creation will very properly see them as also 'natural', that is, within the purposes of God."

I cannot see the end of the 'what fits where' argument as anything other than: all sex must be for the purposes of procreation. This is because it ignores the emotional and spiritual side of sex.

Personally, I think this is one of the most beautiful things about homosexual sex: it points to an understanding of sexuality that is unavoidably spiritual, because we cannot pretend that it is about biology and procreation. Love is the most important thing - real, deep, spiritual love and bonding body and soul with another human. It's taking us beyond mere biological necessity, showing that sexuality and sexual bonding can be good things in themselves at their best, and in good circumstances lead to our growth as human beings in our relationships with one another and with God. It shows just how important it is to be fully human: integrated body with soul, not to carry our body around like a sinful lump but to be our bodies. Ultimately, for me, this is incarnational: Christ became fully human and fully divine, each part in harmony, to help us reclaim every part of who we are.

--------------------

the famous rachel
Shipmate
# 1258

- Posted      Profile for the famous rachel   Email the famous rachel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St Rumwald:

Without wishing to elaborate too much, lubricants of animal, plant or human origin would have been then available. But more to the point, the assumption is that sexual relations between two men are usually of a particular kind which, statistically, in fact, comes a poor third.

Please remember I'm a GLE, and therefore don't necessarily have the knowledge about sex to figure out things people don't elaborate on.

Having siad that...

In reference to lubricants..... these people were wandering in the desert, and being fed manna and quail from heaven, they probably didn't have much around by way of animal or vegetable anything.

With reference to your 2nd point - I'm not sure I understand, but I'm assuming you mean anal sex is not the prevalent form of sexual activity between gay men? If so, then the verse we are talking about in Leviticus strikes me as irelevant anyway.

All the best,

Rachel.

--------------------
A shrivelled appendix to the body of Christ.

Posts: 912 | From: In the lab. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Viola
Administrator
# 20

- Posted      Profile for Viola   Email Viola   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joan the Dwarf:
PS Dear Sibling Drake, it is biologically unnatural to put a headphone earpiece in my ear. I have sinned against the natural flow of my body, I repent before thee, in the absence of Rev Gez.

Moreover I have (woe unto me!) taken unnatural medicines to curb my natural illness. Indeed I verily repent.

As for those spawns of Satan, tampons, I have inserted them where only a manly member should go, ah ah ah I put on dust and ashes.

Hurrah for Joan. I was just in the middle of composing an angry post when I read yours.

See Drake - I respect the conclusions you've come to from scripture. Sometimes I agree with them too. But I can't agree with the 'natural' stuff. Just doesn't seem right or fair.

--------------------
"If ye love me, keep my commandments" John 14:15

"Commandment number one: shut the hell up." Erin Etheredge 1971-2010

Posts: 4345 | From: West of England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf

Ship's curiosity
# 1283

PPS Drake - have you thought that people might understand you and still think that you're, erm, wrong?

--------------------

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
All, I cannot believe that I am the only one here who understands what I'm saying in my posts.

Dear Drake's Detective,
I think most of us here understand your posts very well.

They seem to indicate that there is only one right view - yours - and that you are not very open to the views of others (on the Falwell thread in Hell, you actually said that you found the differing views of others on this issue 'disturbing')

You also seem to be pushing a simplistic natural law argument which is, literally, medieval and which probably qualifies by now as a PRATT - point refuted a thousand times.
Yet you seem to think it offers some kind of irrefutable insight.

In fact this argument has been around in its developed form since the days of St Thomas Aquinas, and its flaws have been pointed out ad nauseam long before now. I'll give just one example.

If I walk on my hands then I am using a part of my body for something it wasn't 'designed' for and which 'naturally' I should be doing with my feet.

So let's ban gymnastics - totally unnatural if you ask me.

Also you seem to think there's only one possible way of interpreting scripture - yours again.

I'm sure you are not hateful, but your posts come across as, well, somewhat lacking in charity and respect for others, to put it mildly.

This issue has been discussed many times on these boards, but here you come, barging in, spouting off a commonplace argument as though none of us will ever have heard it before and we'll all go 'Duh! why didn't we ever think of THAT before?'

Try pondering the concept that it's a good bet that many of us here have heard that sort of argument before and rejected it.

Louise

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
3M Matt
Shipmate
# 1675

quote:

I don't wish to make this board X-rated with too many details, but as a medical student, I can tell you research shows that the type of conduct you are referring to is suprisingly common among at least a fair percentage of heterosexual couples on at least one encounter.

Surveys also suggest that a fair number of those who havn't had a heterosexual encounter of this nature would like to at some point in the future.

Did I put that delicately enough everyone?

(Incidently, most people will notice that this post goes against my side of the argument in anyways, which only goes to show I'm just looking to tell it like it is, not how I want it to be.)

--------------------
3M Matt.

DrakeDetective
Apprentice
# 1778

For the record, I'm far from anti-sex. I think a good Christian marriage, (egalitarian no less) should be a lovely, very vibrant sexual relationship.

But I also respect what God says about sex and the boundaries He placed on it.

That's all. No hate, just my simple convictions, and I'm sorry if they are not welcome here.

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DrakeDetective:
For the record, I'm far from anti-sex. I think a good Christian marriage, (egalitarian no less) should be a lovely, very vibrant sexual relationship.

So maybe you are experienced in sex aids?

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
3M Matt
Shipmate
# 1675

quote:
Medic, thank you for your reasoned responses. Though not directly for me, I appreciate your feedback here.

I would just like to take this opportunity to distance myself from anything drakedetective says. My "fundaMENTAList" alarm bells are ringing where our new friend is concerned.....

I hope he reads my posts...about us all being equally sinners. He says homosexuality is "unnatural", but hey...get this...God thinks we are ALL unnatural! imagine that! Any sin is completely alien to God's nature and therefore unnatural to him. drake, every time you are angry, or hurt someone you are being as "unnatural" to God as those "repulsive faggots" imagine that drake!!! Uncomfortable thought huh? Good job we've all got Grace then isn't it?.

(DISCLAIMER: previous "foggot"phrase was deliberate sarcasm use of language...quote marks do not represent quote by specific individual)

quote:
Personally, I think this is one of the most beautiful things about homosexual sex: it points to an understanding of sexuality that is unavoidably spiritual, because we cannot pretend that it is about biology and procreation.

Joan, you've come up with some good stuff on this thread, then you go and spoil it with this...errmmm...ok. Sorry, I've offended you before but I won't again.

Coz there is no procreation involved, the sex is automatically superspirtual?! ha!

Well, if I go out to euston station pick up half a dozen rent boys and stick my big end *ahem* "where the sun don't shine" to each one in turn would that be spiritual just coz they aren't gonna get pregnant?

No, it would be sordid and repulsive to God. Homosexual sex can be every bit as sordid too, and you know it. It doesn't strike me as "unavoidably spiritual" in the least. (sorry...that was extremely crude...had to be to make the point methinks)

quote:
Ultimately, for me, this is incarnational: Christ became fully human and fully divine, each part in harmony, to help us reclaim every part of who we are.

We don't reclaim anything. Christ reclaims us...all of us. God reclaims us for himself.

quote:
They seem to indicate that there is only one right view - yours - and that you are not very open to the views of others

Louise, I kind of know what you are getting at here, but you state it like it's an intrinsically bad thing.

I believe that 1+1=2. I think that is right, I think it is the only right view. I an not very open to the views of others on this issue. So if you think 1+1=3, I am very sorry, but I do not accord your view any weight.

Clearly, drake believes (possibly incorrectly) that this issue is an issue of this type. Given that he thinks that, it is not suprising he responds in this way. It doesn't neccessarily mean he is wishing to be opinionated and judgemental. He just happens to see this issue in a black and white way. Critisising the manner in which this makes him respond is a pointless exersise.

You should address the assumptions he is making which lead him to stop considering the issue in the same light you or I would consider "1+1=2".

quote:

If I walk on my hands then I am using a part of my body for something it wasn't 'designed' for and which 'naturally' I should be doing with my feet.

So let's ban gymnastics - totally unnatural if you ask me.

If you are going to use analogies you should use them in a consistent way.

The consistent application of the analogy for someone who lives a lifetime of homosexual activity would be if someone tried to walk on their hands their whole life and never used their feet.

Gymnastics in the analogy would be the equivilent of having a few homosexual encounters, as opposed to being a homosexual.

Also, no one is suggesting that homosexuality be "banned" (as in your analogy gymnastics is). They are simply saying it is not what God intended and harmful to us.

And we all know that gymnastics can be extremely harmful and result in an increased risk of injuries, precisely because we are using our bodies in unnatural ways.

If you are using the analogy to prove your point then it is a flawed argument. I'm not saying your wrong...but your particular argument is not a convincing one.

--------------------
3M Matt.

Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf

Ship's curiosity
# 1283

Drake - Any opinion is welcome - what becomes unwelcome is manners of posting. Here's a friendly (and I do mean that) word in your ear: post with a little more humility. At the moment you're posting your opinions as "this is what is right, I've had it direct from God, come on people you know I'm right stop being so silly". I think you can see how this would get on people's wicks

No-one here's got a hotline to God or an infallible interpretation of Scripture - not me, not you. How about we do a deal: you don't call my Scriptural exegesis "gymnasics", and I won't call yours "mindless literalism"; you don't dismiss my spiritual experiences as my own wishful thinking, and I'll not dismiss yours as your wishful thinking; you don't say "oh come on, how can you possibly disagree with me", and I won't say the same thing to you. Deal?

Oh dear daisymay you are naughty - LOL!

And Matt - I'm impressed. Even GLE Rachel should not be blushing from that description

--------------------

Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf

Ship's curiosity
# 1283

Sorry, yet another double post, just wanted to reassure Matt that I for one was not lumping him and Drake together!

--------------------

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Drake,

Instead of constantly telling us "what God says", as if you are a prophet with a direct line to the Almighty and the only possibly correct interpetation, how about if you tried saying

"What I think God says is..."

or

"What I think the Bible says is..."

or even

"My interpretation of x verse in scripture is y" (whatever that might be).

Then you might not sound as if you believed you were the only person in the world who had a valid opinion on this matter.

Just a suggestion.
Louise

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf

Ship's curiosity
# 1283

Wow, a TRIPLE post! Bear with me, shipmates all, then I shall retire to my hammock and vex ye no more tonight

I said:

quote:

Personally, I think this is one of the most beautiful things about homosexual sex: it points to an understanding of sexuality that is unavoidably spiritual, because we cannot pretend that it is about biology and procreation.

Matt replied:

quote:

Joan, you've come up with some good stuff on this thread, then you go and spoil it with this...errmmm...ok. Sorry, I've offended you before but I won't again.

Coz there is no procreation involved, the sex is automatically superspirtual?! ha!

I echo your 'ha' a hundred times. However that wasn't what I said I said homosexuality points to an intrinsically spiritual understanding of sexuality (that is, gay or straight). The difference is, for example as Christians we have a spiritual understanding of life. That doesn't mean that every event in life is experienced as spiritual!

The beauty of homosexual sex that I was pointing out was the spiritual nature that it flags up of ALL sex - het and gay. IMHO sex as it should be is spiritual, because sexuality is spiritual. Of course a lot of the time sex isn't - one doesn't have to go banging rent boys to see that That doesn't divorce our sexual nature from our spiritual, it's just an example of sinning.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  92  93  94 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016