homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Dead Horses   » Homosexuality and Christianity (Page 24)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  ...  92  93  94 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Homosexuality and Christianity
that Wikkid Person
Shipmate
# 4446

- Posted      Profile for that Wikkid Person   Author's homepage   Email that Wikkid Person   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
APW: You go, girl!

My current boss is married to a woman. I'm curious how that works, or what she had to do to arrange it, and what rights she still lacks in Canada, but you can't just ask somethings like that in the middle of professional conversation.

--------------------
We have only one truth and one reality. Let's make the most of them.

Posts: 1007 | From: Almonte, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Never Conforming

Aspiring to Something
# 4054

- Posted      Profile for Never Conforming   Author's homepage   Email Never Conforming   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Admiral Holder,

Thanks for the honesty (and courage) that post must have taken. All the best.

Jo

--------------------
I used to poison Student Minds™ and am proud to have done so
Never Conforming in the Surreal World

Posts: 1419 | From: Oop Norf | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Admiral Holder - thank you for posting. I don't know what is happening in your life, but may God guide you every step of your way. [Votive]

[ 21. October 2003, 01:47: Message edited by: The Wanderer ]

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
La Sal
Shipmate
# 4195

- Posted      Profile for La Sal   Email La Sal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Admiral Holder,

I too found your post to be very honest and courageous. Just follow your heart and God bless you.

--------------------
Formerly Molly Brown

Posts: 175 | From: sonoran desert | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can only guess at how hard it is to come out, Admiral Holder, but I respect and admire everyone who has the self-knowledge and the guts to do so.

APW: [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

Coot: Like Wanderer, I'm afraid anything I say will sound patronizing. Sometimes all that "God holds you close no matter what" stuff really means God has you by the short and curlies. [Votive]

[left a word out]

[ 21. October 2003, 03:32: Message edited by: RuthW ]

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(((AH))))

I can't put it any better than La Sal did...God bless.

Kel

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With Ruth's permission I pinched her last line to use as my sig. It says so much - but what else would you expect from a goddess?

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Admiral, my dear- God's blessings upon you.

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

quote:
Admiral Holder:
I need to be honest and say my thoughts are generally in line with those of David on ***, but that is me -- and I make no judgement or remarks on others.

[Eek!] in light of this (my italics), you better have
[Votive] [Votive] [Votive] [Votive] [Votive] [Votive]

(or did you not mean to indicate that you think gay ppl should not be ***ually active except for fisting, bdsm, mutual masturbation and toy play?)

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why, Sir Coot, you seem to be implying that there is a great intellectual problem in trying to create a philosophical divide between the practices that you list and ***. Surely you can't be serious?

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mm. Yes Mr Dyfrig. On one hand I didn't want to detract from AH making a gutsy and self-revealing post, but on the other hand, I just couldn't bear to let CM go by as an example of someone who holds the views of chastity and celibacy for gay ppl (when his definitions of the words are very specific). So it is a joke but behind it, the smile is wry.

It really sticks in my craw when I consider gay ppl on this board who are chaste and celibate (the real thing) on principle (such as geelongboys and SeanW who've posted on this thread) and who unless their understanding of scripture changes, are looking at this as a lifetime choice. It is similar for straight and gay people who choose to be chaste til making a lifetime commitment to their partner; or people who choose to be chaste and celibate on behalf of their vocation. It used to bother me personally when chastity and celibacy was a struggle, but thankfully as I can't get any anywhere the matter is out of my hands at present.

So you can see I hope, why I find it infuriating and a mockery when someone asserts they are chaste and celibate while doing acts which are accepted pretty much across the board as ***ual.

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks to all for the messages of the support. This is truly a wonderful place.

quote:
Thus pontificated The Coot (Icarus):
[Votive]

quote:
Admiral Holder:
I need to be honest and say my thoughts are generally in line with those of David on ***, but that is me -- and I make no judgement or remarks on others.

[Eek!] in light of this (my italics), you better have
[Votive] [Votive] (or did you not mean to indicate that you think gay ppl should not be ***ually active except for fisting, bdsm, mutual masturbation and toy play?)

[Big Grin] [Hot and Hormonal]

I must remind myself not to post as soon as I get up and before I've had my coffee.

What I mean to say is that my position has generally been inline with David's opinions on *** between two men [I'm not touching the other issues [Smile] ] - no doubt perhaps due to the very fundamentalist up-bringing I had in part and the denial or non-acknowledgement beforehand. It is a rather mute point with me anyhow as I have no *** drive whatsoever. As I said previously, however, this is for me and me only: I feel you need to be comfortable with something before you can participate in it - I make no judgement for others one way or the other.

Thanks again all. Please forgive any unclarity or anything that comes across uncharitably: I do not mean it. I'm just trying to take things a step at a time.

Ian.

[Duplicated post deleted]

[ 22. October 2003, 07:41: Message edited by: TonyK ]

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
watchergirl
Shipmate
# 5071

- Posted      Profile for watchergirl   Author's homepage   Email watchergirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Admiral Holder, your experience sounds similar to some of the reactions I had a couple of years ago. I too wonder if I hit puberty a bit late - either way, it took me a long time to realise that I wasn't quite straight, and two years after that to get together the courage to 'come out'. I still haven't sorted out my ethics, position on scripture, beliefs etc - but one thing I do know is that God loves us. I also believe that God sees and honours honesty. Beyond that, anything that you decide is between yourself and Him. Good luck with dealing with your feelings.

--------------------
Let there be peace on earth
And let it begin with me

Posts: 96 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
iGeek.*

Resident alien
# 3207

- Posted      Profile for iGeek.*   Author's homepage         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bless you, AH. Something so intimate is a difficult thing to take public and I bless you in your journey and wish God's best for you.

iGeek

--------------------
.sig on holiday

Posts: 702 | From: Hot-on-us, TX | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Never Conforming

Aspiring to Something
# 4054

- Posted      Profile for Never Conforming   Author's homepage   Email Never Conforming   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I've been through a pretty similar thing too. I've yet to pluck up enough courage to do anything about being interested in Girls but I'll get there in the end. It *is* hard living in a place such as Devon where narrowmindedness is almost an occupation in many quarters.

Jo

(This wasn't an intentional crusade)

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[tangent]
But it shows that you have a crusader's instincts, Never Conforming. [Big Grin]
[/tangent]

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Never despair, though. I met my beloved at church. We were also singing in a choir together.

Neither of us was looking at the time.

Admiral, don't try to make yourself solve everything at once. Things happen at their own sweet speed, and your brain is obviously dealing with a fair bit at the moment.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Thus pontificated Arabella Purity Winterbottom:

That's the best way to meet your special someone in my experience!

(have izmel will travel)

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Never Conforming

Aspiring to Something
# 4054

[tangent cont]

Maybe it really *was* worth you giving me that licence then?

[/tangent cont]

I know that the best thing is just to try and relax about the whole thing.

Jo

--------------------

chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You know, there are some people who think they are so special that everyone else should care what they are doing in the bedroom. Or they care what everyone else is doing in the bedroom. Or something. Or they think everyone else should do the same as them in the bedroom.

And those people should just GET OVER THEMSELVES. Whoever they are. And get an eyemask or something so they can't see what's going on in the bedroom.

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

Posts: 6842 | From: somewhere else | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally babbled by Mousethief:
quote:
Thus pontificated Arabella Purity Winterbottom:

That's the best way to meet your special someone in my experience!

I met my cub that way as well. Actively hunting for people wound me up with a stalker (who is happily not remotely in my life now).

[Overused] Arabella and Admiral Holder [Overused]

[Votive] for Coot re ambivalence toward Christianity, and :respectful disagreement: (no smiley for that one, alas) re our differences [Votive]

And [Axe murder] to all [Axe murder]

Sorry I haven't been posting lately on the Ship in general; trying to make up for that today, which turned out to be the most confusing day possible to catch up on Ship threads...

David

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(crusading)

Brings Chastmastr into the Dances of Universal Peace!

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, I think one of the main reasons I haven't got anybody at the moment is that I never have the guts to ask anybody out.

Also, Chastmastr, is your new avatar chosen by you or ChrisT? Whichever way, I think you should keep it because it is cute.

A public welcome to watchergirl and alitzia.

Admiral Holder - [Overused] [Overused] [Overused] [Overused]

You are a man with a whole heap of guts.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Posts: 12176 | From: a zoo in England. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally babbled by Papio:
Also, Chastmastr, is your new avatar chosen by you or ChrisT? Whichever way, I think you should keep it because it is cute.

[Hot and Hormonal] [Big Grin] ChrisT, actually. Hummm, maybe I should keep it?

And a fellow C.S. Lewis fan, I see, Papio! ("Location: Shadowlands")

David

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chast - Actually, "the Shadowlands" came from one of my fave Goth bands (although I am a sad metal geek really). [Biased] [Big Grin] [Yipee]

(for anyone who may be interested)

Am currently reading "Bi Any Other Name: Bisexual People Speak Out" (edited by Loraine Hutchins and Lani Kaahumanu) and it is a highly interesting, moving and varied book with a wide range of views and experiences detailed in it.

Is certainly making me alternate between laughing out loud and shit my pants. (and giving me "oh dear" moments of recognition). If you are at all confused about this issue, I strongly recommend it. Is one of those books one can dip in and out of without having to read too much in one go.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

watchergirl
Shipmate
# 5071

- Posted      Profile for watchergirl   Author's homepage   Email watchergirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
(for anyone who may be interested)

Am currently reading "Bi Any Other Name: Bisexual People Speak Out" (edited by Loraine Hutchins and Lani Kaahumanu) and it is a highly interesting, moving and varied book with a wide range of views and experiences detailed in it.

Is certainly making me alternate between laughing out loud and shit my pants. (and giving me "oh dear" moments of recognition). If you are at all confused about this issue, I strongly recommend it. Is one of those books one can dip in and out of without having to read too much in one go.

Is it written from a Christian viewpoint? Am hopeful about finding a book that talks about bisexuality and Christianity. This one sounds interesting, anyway - will take a look. Thanks for the recommendation!
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

Watchergirl - I think overall it is written from a secular viewpoint. However, I was both surprised and impressed that it contains Christian contributions and musings about theology and bisexulaity. I should also add that this aspect of the book is not predominant but is present nevertheless.

As I have hinted (and told some posters outright) I am probably bisexual. The one and only reason I am not 100% sure of this is that I have never gone further than snogging with a man. Hey Ho. For this reason, amoung others, I have not hinted any of my feelings to my family yet. Indeed, my mother (who is a lesbian) is convinced I am straight. Tbh, I hope no-one in my family ever reads this (although I have told them I am a regular contributor to the ship).

As you probably know, bisexuality is still seen as something that doesn't exist by a lot of people. We are "confused", we are "in denial", we are "sitting on the fence" etc etc etc.

[Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

People really should get over their Boolean thing regarding sexulaity and acknowledge that Bisexuality is not an "option", it is not a "lifestyle" but it does exist.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Papio:
People really should get over their Boolean thing regarding sexulaity

Are you saying Boole was a homophobe? [Devil]

I think sexual orientation (what an ugly word but hey it's the one we have) is probably like a continuum, albeit a valley-shaped curve (sort of a bell-shaped curve turned upside down or inside out) with most people clustering to one end or the other but still a goodly number residing in the middle.

Myself I've never snogged with a man nor desired to. I know Lesbians who could say exactly the same thing. (I think Lesbians have excellent taste in sexual partners, frankly. [Big Grin] ) And yet I know there are people in the middle. They're not confused or in denial, they're just what they are.

I suppose all of which is to say, "What Papio Said."

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

What Mousethief said. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

Just flagging it up here: Watchergirl inquired about support resources for GLB ppl in Churches on the 'Living as a Christian homosexual' thread. (I know I don't often check that thread).
watchergirl
Shipmate
# 5071

The Coot (Icarus): Sorry, I probably wasn't being clear enough on the other thread. I was talking about wanting more prominent Christian homosexual role models, not about needing organisations (am already a member of one). Thanks though!

Papio: Yup. Bisexuality is something that many people are confused about. I'm particularly amused (or possibly appalled) by the myth that bisexuality automatically equals promiscuity, as though a bisexual person could never be faithful to a partner. Rubbish - but well-documented and often-quoted rubbish, sadly. I've also been hearing other myths from both gay and straight people that really need people to stand up against them. Anyway, I've ordered the book. Sounds very interesting. Thanks.

--------------------
Let there be peace on earth
And let it begin with me

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a multi-faceted book indeed if it also has laxative effects...

Yeah, Mousie, the continuum thing makes sense. As does the idea of people changing - or at least their tastes changing, over time, brought up elsewhere.

I sit back and watch myself, what excites me, with vast amusement sometimes. I realize for others there may be angst when considering their sexuality, at least as regards the irritations others put them through, if not angst within themselves about themselves. But for me- I find my desires, my tastes, interesting to watch and often funny as Hell.

Still wrestling with implications re: my Christianity. Probably always will be. And that unsettledness- that's OK.

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I occasionally spend time on a loony fundie site in the States called Christians Unite. One thread there linked to a story about an "assault" on a Kenyan Bishop, SImon Oketch, whilst in London. Apparently he was "threatened" by two gay Anglican clergy. Does anyone know anything more about this?

--------------------

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dyfrig,
Andrew Carey has mentioned this in hell but I cant find the post. Oketch claims two Anglican clergymen "grabbed him" and threatened to beat him up after he gave them his views on Gene Robinson

see here

premier news

and the Bishops side of the story here

but I can't find any corroborating evidence for the story, only Oketch's version of events, which seems odd, as two priests trying to beat up a bishop on the street would make a juicy news story. I don't know about the C of E but if someone made a claim like that about two Kirk of Scotland ministers I'm sure there would be an immediate offical reaction and investigation. So it seems very odd.

L.

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

That's what I find puzzling, Louise - given the atmosphere in mid-August, and it being a naturally slow news month, "Gay Priests Clout Bishop" should have been all over the tabloids, but it strangely wasn't. I don't get it.

--------------------

HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A letter in my local newspaper actually cast some light on where some people are coming from on the same-sex marriage issue. As a raving liberal, I was enlightened.

The letter argued that the problem with legal same-sex marriage was that it would erode the social taboo against homosexual behaviour. (My synopsis, of course.)

I finally understood that they believe that there is still a social taboo. From my point of view, that went away quite a while ago, probably in the 80's with the great ACT UP! protests.

In the early 90's I worked at Nortel, and the GLBT group there essentially disbanded - we (I was a member, though straight and married) had equal benefits, there really wasn't a social/practical point worth making a fuss over.

My own thesis on the topic is that the legal recognition of same-sex marriage can't be a moral issue - it will not change anyone's behaviour in the least. It is a practical issue in extending to people all the appropriate legal details. Government of Canada reckoned that there were nearly 400 pieces of legislation and numerous regulations to amend. So one simple change (that the courts in four provinces have already read in) or a hundred times that many.

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

I know some people who would be mortally offended if you called them racist or sexist who regularly use homophobic langauge.

Isn't that evidence of a lingering taboo?

As one of them explained to me "being gay is a lifestyle and the result of socialisation whereas being black isn't" [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

How many ten-tonne trucks do we think could be driven through that "arguement"?

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Try
Shipmate
# 4951

- Posted      Profile for Try   Email Try   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let me see if I can't explain why Progressive Christians reject a taboo on homosexuality.

1. The Christian taboo on homosexual behavior was not as universal in the early church as was previously believed (see the works of John Boswell).

2. Homosexuality is natural(found in animals), so therefore it must be part of God's plan as revealed in the laws of nature.

3. The words “malkoi” and “arsenokoietes” did not and do not refer to consensual same-sex relationships (the words for that were erastes and eromenos). Malkoi could mean “criminally cowardly” or “criminally negligent” as well as “a man who prostitutes himself or acts like a prostitute”. An “arsenokoietes” was apparently a bawd or customer for a male prostitute, or a rapist. Pagan philosophers condemned “malkoi” and “arsenokoietes” in lists very similar to the one in 1 Corinthians 6:9-10

--------------------
“I’m so glad to be a translator in the 20th century. They only burn Bibles now, not the translators!” - the Rev. Dr. Bruce M. Metzger

Posts: 852 | From: Beautiful Ohio, in dreams again I see... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

Yes Try. I think that you reject the view that homosexuality is wrong. If you have read my posts on this thread and on the various +Gene threads you will see that I am in full agreement with you on this.

What I meant was not that find homosexual behaviour offensive (since I am Bi) but that many people in society do find it offensive and do not place homophobia in anything like the same category as racism or sexism. This is something we need to work towards changing.

Try
Shipmate
# 4951

- Posted      Profile for Try   Email Try   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Papio:
Yes Try. I think that you reject the view that homosexuality is wrong. If you have read my posts on this thread and on the various +Gene threads you will see that I am in full agreement with you on this.

What I meant was not that find homosexual behaviour offensive (since I am Bi) but that many people in society do find it offensive and do not place homophobia in anything like the same category as racism or sexism. This is something we need to work towards changing.

I aggree with you there totally. I actually put my previous post here in response to a thread in Purgatory.

I agree that the ick-factor is a figure in homophobia, just like the odd-factor is a figure in racism. I don't know where it comes from, I can't imagine any sort true love being offensive, or anything but a (very pale) reflection of Devine Love. I just don't understand why people would read the Bible to confirm their prejudices rather then challenge them. That's no way to grow spiritually, and the Bible is all about spiritual growth.

--------------------
“I’m so glad to be a translator in the 20th century. They only burn Bibles now, not the translators!” - the Rev. Dr. Bruce M. Metzger

Posts: 852 | From: Beautiful Ohio, in dreams again I see... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

- Posted      Profile for Cod     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a tangent to this particular thread perhaps, but it seemed the best place to ask the question.

Why are so many people within Africa of the belief that homosexuality is wrong? Of course in parts of Africa this isn't so - South Africa's constitution expressly forbids homophobia and as we know +Cape Town is supportive of +Robinson.

From what I know myself and my own experiences Africa in general is that culture in many African countries and I guess Nigeria also is community-orientated, far more so than in the West. What does this signify? Well - I suppose that in a society which leans more towards the community-orientated rather than the individualistic there is a likelihood that something that might not be the practice of the majority gets forbidden or frowned upon completely.

Another thought that springs to mind is that sex is seen in Nigeria and other places as primarily a procreative act without the same weight put by the average Westerner on its importance as a recreational/sharing act also. I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere but not in an African context as far as I have found.

For all ++Akinola's lurid talk of demons etc. I'm sure that his beliefs regarding homosexuality are based on more than just 'horrid red things'.

This particular aspect of the debate hasn't been tackled (on SoF at least) except in passing - if people could direct me to a thread where it has been then I'd be grateful. Neither am I seeking to advocate one position or another but am simply wanting to unpack this question for discussion.

--------------------
"I fart in your general direction."
M Barnier

Posts: 4229 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
helluvanengineer
Apprentice
# 5136

- Posted      Profile for helluvanengineer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've noticed other threads discussing the irrelevance of religion in European society. Apparently, religious/spiritual fervor comes in waves, and Western Europe seems by many to be on the down-swing. Could there be a connection between fact that in the past few decades, W Europe seems to be leading the world in tolerance/advocacy of homosexuality and the fact that during the same time period W Europe seems less interested in religion?
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by helluvanengineer:
I've noticed other threads discussing the irrelevance of religion in European society. Apparently, religious/spiritual fervor comes in waves, and Western Europe seems by many to be on the down-swing. Could there be a connection between fact that in the past few decades, W Europe seems to be leading the world in tolerance/advocacy of homosexuality and the fact that during the same time period W Europe seems less interested in religion?

Possibly. I'd be interested to see which happened first, though...

You are, however, implying that modern "tolerance" of homosexuality is because of a move away from religion, as if the two are incompatible. A quick (?) scan of the previous 23 pages of this thread will show you that many do not agree with this opinion.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
helluvanengineer
Apprentice
# 5136

- Posted      Profile for helluvanengineer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, but WHY don't they agree? It's certainly not because the church has always been open and gracious toward homosexuality, or because scripture is not condemning of it. Why, all of a sudden, are so many Christians, gay and straight, so accepting of gay sex? Historically, the mainstream church has followed along behind social agendas. While certain outspoken Christians and Christian groups have led the way many times, the body as a whole is usually quite reluctant to come around, and only does so when the world becomes so keen on a particular notion that the church must change or risk losing their audience. For instance, racism and segregation was a hot topic in the USA during the last century. Yet you still have "white" and "black" churches. Women suffrage and feminism came to the forefront of culture decades before women were ordained. And on and on we could go. My question is, are there so many Christian supporters of homosexuality because the bible really doesn't condemn it and we just haven't been smart enough to realize it until now, or are we simply trying not to appear bigoted in the eyes of the world? IOW, is the wide approval of homosexuality by Christians biblical or cultural?
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

Like it or not, a fair few people who have posted on this thread do not believe that the Bible condemns homosexuality. Can you please explain why you don't find their arguements convincing?

Or haven't you read the thread?

[ 05. November 2003, 14:16: Message edited by: Papio ]

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

helluvanengineer
Apprentice
# 5136

To be honest, I only read the first 200 posts or so, and the last couple dozen, so maybe I'm not qualified to speak.

But to answer your question, I'd say that the bible and the church have all come down pretty hard on homosexuality through the years. Of the seven or so verses which address the issue of homosexuality, all of them condemn the practice. If I wanted to find out what the bible says about murder, I'd read the passages which deal with that topic. If I want to find out what it says about homosexuality, I look there. Historically, the church has been very condemning of all sexual sins. This is how it has interpreted the biblical teachings on sexual sins. Who am I to openly challenge both scripture and tradition, and then label as bigots others who uphold both? There's sinning and repenting, and then there's calling evil good and good evil. I'm not convinced by the opposing viewpoints because they seem to me to be neglecting both germaine scripture and tradition and assuming that God doesn't care (although that certainly wasn't his stance per scripture), so neither should we.

Belle
Shipmate
# 4792

- Posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Bible says 'thou shalt not kill' - what could be more clear cut? But many Christians would say that in certain circumstances, killing is permissible. To save one's own life if threatened by another for example - or in war. Or to protect those more vulnerable than yourself. I'm sure you can imagine the intricacies of the debate if we got into a debate on that one. Why then approach the verses which address same sex sex (not homosexuality as we are beginning to understand it today) and assume that these cannot be seen in the same way? I would argue that homosexuality itself is not condemned in the bible, and that mature, monogomous same sex relationships are not addressed at all. Certainly some kinds of same sex sex do seem to be prohibited for Christians - that associated with the worship of idols for example. In addition, as Christians we are called to live pure and holy lives, therefore I should think most Christians would think promiscuity & paid for sex were off the menu (but this applies across the board, whatever our sexuality or gender). I don't think the issue is clear cut at all (hence the 23 pages).

Just some thoughts.

--------------------
where am I going... and why am I in this handbasket?

Posts: 318 | From: Kent, UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Try
Shipmate
# 4951

quote:
Originally posted by helluvanengineer:
To be honest, I only read the first 200 posts or so, and the last couple dozen, so maybe I'm not qualified to speak.

But to answer your question, I'd say that the bible and the church have all come down pretty hard on homosexuality through the years. Of the seven or so verses which address the issue of homosexuality, all of them condemn the practice. If I wanted to find out what the bible says about murder, I'd read the passages which deal with that topic. If I want to find out what it says about homosexuality, I look there. Historically, the church has been very condemning of all sexual sins. This is how it has interpreted the biblical teachings on sexual sins. Who am I to openly challenge both scripture and tradition, and then label as bigots others who uphold both? There's sinning and repenting, and then there's calling evil good and good evil. I'm not convinced by the opposing viewpoints because they seem to me to be neglecting both germaine scripture and tradition and assuming that God doesn't care (although that certainly wasn't his stance per scripture), so neither should we.

No, you don’t have to read every post,

You can't just look at a translation and call it authoritative. The Greeks had dozens of words that related to some form of homosexual practice, none of them corresponding to the exactly to the English "homosexual". The practice of translating Corinthians so that it condemns all homosexuality exsists only in English. See also: This Page, and this one.

It is very telling that Luther interpreted arsenokoietes as "child molesters", as do most commentators outside the English-speaking world. Therefore, tradition supports a non-homophobic interpretation of this passage.

Ps. You appear to start with the belief that homosexuality is a sin, and then look for Biblical evidence to support your view, not the other way around.

[ 05. November 2003, 16:38: Message edited by: Try ]

--------------------

Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

- Posted      Profile for Cod     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What Try said.

I find the argument that Scripture is silent on homosexuality quite a strong argument, which is why I think a number of traditionally sola scriptura church denominations are now quite accepting of it by contrast to the Roman Catholic church which as far as I can see views homosexuality as wrong on some sort of basis of natural law rather than primarily on Scripture.

This is why I find the position of a large number of Africans curious. They might well argue that homosexuality doesn't exist in their culture. If the Bible itself is silent on homosexuality that might indicate the possibility exists for it not to be present in a culture. I wouldn't be inclined to go for this line of thinking- it seems impossible.

So, I think if homosexuality is to be accepted in the worldwide Church their position needs tackling rather than just sidelining as coming from 'primative cheeky darkies'.

--------------------
"I fart in your general direction."
M Barnier

Posts: 4229 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
helluvanengineer
Apprentice
# 5136

I'm no Greek scholar (though I know some Greek), and I am not fluent in any language but English. Looking at all the translations that will have some use to me, it is clear that the passage you refer to in 1 Cor. 6:9 is most likely referring to homosexuality. Is it possible that it's referring to something else? Sure. But one of the links you provided said that 'homosexuality' wasn't even a term used until the 20th century, and then said that Paul should have used the Greek word for homosexuality if he really meant it. What's confusing me about all this is that the term 'homosexuality' wasn't used until recently, so we claim God has no problem with it because he didn't specifically condemn 'homosexuality' in the first Century. Well, what would the first Century Christians have called homosexuality?

An earlier post (please don't ask me which page!) said that ancient practices of same-sex sex did not involve lifetime preferences, but an older man taking a younger man or a boy 'under his wing' and tutoring him in all things, including sex. And that sex wasn't about man-man, man-woman, or woman-woman, but about--as this post said--the penetrator and the penetrated. Wasn't there some study done on the Greek terms malakoi and arsenokoitai which suggested that the first referred to those who submit to homosexuals while the second refers to the homosexuals themselves. Wouldn't that be consistent with the ancient concept of 'penetrator and penetrated'?

Also, that doesn't explain away Romans 1:26-27 which puts homosexual acts on a par with idolatry, ingratitude, envy, murder, and so forth. An earlier post--by Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf, I believe--interpreted this passage in light of Paul's blanket condemnation of all people without faith in Jesus. While this is certainly an interesting explanation, it seems to suggest that since God forgives it, there's nothing wrong with it. Seems to me that if there was nothing wrong with it, God wouldn't have to forgive it.

quote:
You appear to start with the belief that homosexuality is a sin, and then look for Biblical evidence to support your view, not the other way around.

Close. Here's how it actually happened. I was always taught that homosexuality is a sin. Upon closer inspection and reading and hearing many opposing arguments and speaking with many practicing homosexuals, it is now my belief that homosexuality is a sin. (And by 'homosexuality' I mean the sexual act with someone who is of the same sex as yourself, not simply the tendency to do so. I believe there's nothing wrong with 'being gay.') Maybe I was too far skewed one way from the beginning. But so far, I haven't found anything in scripture to suggest to me that God does not find homosexual sex sinful.

So you disagree. That's fine. I would hate to live in a world where you were not allowed to say so. I think it's a shame that churches are dividing over this. A real shame! But you know, let's say you're right; that there really is nothing wrong with homosexual sex; that God thinks it's great as long as the couple is in a committed relationship. How would the church then deal with people who hold on to the mistaken belief that it is truly sinful?

Perhaps a slightly modified version of Romans 14 could help (this is modified under the assumption that homosexuality is not sinful):
quote:
1Accept him whose faith is weak, without passing judgment on disputable matters. 2One man's faith allows him to sleep with men, but another man, whose faith is weak, believes this is sinful. 3The man who sleeps with other men must not look down on him who considers it a sin, and the man who considers it a sin must not condemn the man who does not, for God has accepted him. 4Who are you to judge someone else's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. And he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.
5One man considers heterosexuality the only way; another man considers every monogamous relationship alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. 6He who regards heterosexuality as the only way, does so to the Lord. He who has sex with men, does so to the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who remains celibate, does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God. 7For none of us lives to himself alone and none of us dies to himself alone. 8If we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord.
9For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living. 10You, then, why do you judge your brother? Or why do you look down on your brother? For we will all stand before God's judgment seat. 11It is written:
" 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord,
'every knee will bow before me;
every tongue will confess to God.' "[1] 12So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God.
13Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother's way. 14As one who is in the Lord Jesus, I am fully convinced that no monogamous sexual union is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for him it is unclean. 15If your brother is distressed because of your homosexual relationship, you are no longer acting in love. Do not by your sexuality destroy your brother for whom Christ died. 16Do not allow what you consider good to be spoken of as evil. 17For the kingdom of God is not a matter of sex and marriage, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, 18because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and approved by men.
19Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification. 20Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of sex. All sex is clean, but it is wrong for a man to do anything that causes someone else to stumble. 21It is better not to have sex with a man or enter into a same-sex union or to do anything else that will cause your brother to fall.
22So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the man who does not condemn himself by what he approves. 23But the man who has doubts is condemned if he eats, because his actions are not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin.

[ 05. November 2003, 17:55: Message edited by: helluvanengineer ]

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  ...  92  93  94 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016