homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Dead Horses   » Homosexuality and Christianity (Page 31)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  ...  92  93  94 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Homosexuality and Christianity
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Divine Outlaw-Dwarf:
quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
And, if I reject the essential nature of activity for straights, I also do so for gays.

Ah, therein lies the difference between us. I do not think that promiscuity is part of the 'essential nature' of sex. Promiscuity represents a distortion of that, thoroughly good, nature - as generally, sin is not essential to humanity, but is a diminishing of humanity. Sex belongs in loving relationships, for gay and straight people alike, and there are many excellent examples around of people living loving and faithful relationships which find sexual expression.
In fact we agree completely, based on these comments. I don't see how you believe I disagree with you on this, and I confess the connection between what you have quoted of my previous posting relates to the comments you have just made, but that is no doubt a failing on my part. Sexual activity, I believe, belongs inside a loving and faithful relationship -- and I number gay friends as well as stright friends in such relationships. Because I live in Ontario where same-sex marriages are legal, I can even say that I know a faithful Christian gay couple who are married. And I hope you can too, soon.

My concern was with the position in our society that says unless you are sexually active from about the age of 13, doesn't matter with whom or how often, you are somehow falling short of being really who you are.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

- Posted      Profile for Father Gregory   Author's homepage   Email Father Gregory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess I have a problem with the idea that simply because someone (gay or straight) CAN be celibate as not touching on his / her flourishing as a fulfilled human being (I agree); then a significant minority of the human species (gay) MUST be celibate, even if this is injurious to a PARTICULAR person or group of persons within both their own pyschosomatic personhoods and their same sex relationships particularly in view of the fact that such (gay) celibacy is not something to which ALL are naturally called. (Sorry for the extra long sentence. It's an Orthodox thing! [Biased] )

It is quite a step to say that gay people are universally DIVINELY called to such a celibate state and, in fact, quite an easy step for a heterosexual to make who does not NECESSARILY have to follow this teaching him/herself and for whom homosexuality as a take it or leave it BEHAVIOUR seems just a convenience of his / her argument.

I think this really resolves itself to a question of understanding (the science) and empathy (the humanity).

[ 09. February 2004, 15:00: Message edited by: Fr. Gregory ]

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
Find Your Way Around the Plot
TheOrthodoxPlot™

Posts: 15099 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

- Posted      Profile for Divine Outlaw   Author's homepage   Email Divine Outlaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well John we don't disagree then. As long as you agree that someone who is not sexually active MIGHT be unfulfilled. It depends on the individual and their calling.

--------------------
insert amusing sig. here

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For those who might be interested, the cub and I (and the DC Radical Faeries!) recently attended a satiric performance of Doin' Time in The Homo No Mo Halfway House: How I Survived the Ex-Gay Movement. It was hysterical. [Smile] And while he does think they are wrong, the performer still says that he believes the people behind the movement mean well, which was interesting. He's a gay Christian who does other religious plays as well.

David

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Faithful Sheepdog
Shipmate
# 2305

- Posted      Profile for Faithful Sheepdog   Email Faithful Sheepdog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This thread may be interested in a review of Jeffrey John's booklet "Permanent, Faithful, Stable" that has just been published in the Forward-in-Faith journal New Directions.

I cannot find the text of the booklet itself online, so if anyone has an online link, please will they post it.

Here is a link to the review.

Neil

--------------------
"Random mutation/natural selection works great in folks’ imaginations, but it’s a bust in the real world." ~ Michael J. Behe

Posts: 1097 | From: Scotland | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

- Posted      Profile for Divine Outlaw   Author's homepage   Email Divine Outlaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with Fr Richardson's point about divorce. Apart from that I think what you would expect me to think about this.

--------------------
insert amusing sig. here

Tina
Shipmate
# 63

- Posted      Profile for Tina   Email Tina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So no gay priests in Forward in Faith then?

(where is that whistling, trying-to-look-innocent smiley when you need it?)

--------------------
Kindness is mandatory. Anger is necessary. Despair is a terrible idea. Despair is how they win. They won't win forever.

Posts: 503 | From: South London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Egeria
Shipmate
# 4517

- Posted      Profile for Egeria     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
John said:
quote:
My concern was with the position in our society that says unless you are sexually active from about the age of 13, doesn't matter with whom or how often, you are somehow falling short of being really who you are.

This is a position not held by huge numbers of people in our society. Especially the parents of young teenagers.

--------------------
"Sound bodies lined / with a sound mind / do here pursue with might / grace, honor, praise, delight."--Rabelais

Posts: 314 | From: Berkeley, CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
SOrry to interrupt but...

Hre it is! Next time someone plays the pedophilia card when discussing homosexuality, tell them "Homosexuality Thread, Dead Horses, Page 31"

quote:
I think the real problem with views such as this[A NAMBLA article is quoted] and the false application of "inclusion-speak" to child abuse stems from a failure to understand the unique and important state of childhood.

It is not just about purity and protection, folks, it is about the development of a human being at a time of enormous neurological, psychological, and social developement

From birth to adolescence (and particularly between the ages of 0-8) the human brain goes through a cataclysmic series of developmental upheavals.During this time, and carrying on through adolescence , when the changes are more psychological and social, it is vitally important that a growing human be surrounded by people who require nothing from that child other than their saftey, their well-being, and their growth. They need to be surrounded by people who love them unconditionally and can be trusted to guide them toward adulthood.

When an adult forms a sexual relationship with a child, this completely fucks the whole paradigm up.

Sexual abuse of children takes away a child's abitlty to view themselves as intrisically loveable as a child of God; it becomes much easier for the child to view his/her worth on the basis of how much pleasure he/she can give another,and submarines their ability to trust.While the damage need not be irreprable, it makes growth that much harder and more painful for the person who ahs been exploited.Physical abuse aside, it is a form of psychological and spiritual rape.

What makes me angry is when people use inclusion speech to justify abusing children. It makes me equallly angry when people use pedophilia to compare with acts between consenting adults.It is completly off-the--charts inappropriate

(gee, thanks for reminding me , I should copy this to the appropriate dead horses thread)

[I knew I would get the wrong page]

[ 24. February 2004, 18:59: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Augghhh! Hosts, I posted in Hell and I forgot to remove the F-word! I'm sorry i'm sorry i'm sorry....

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Egeria:
John said:
quote:

This is a position not held by huge numbers of people in our society. Especially the parents of young teenagers.
Not the parents, I'm sure. Though I might have the odd uncharitable thought about how many of them went to their marriage beds as virgins.

But unless you live in a totally different world to mine, you better believe this is the governing idea among teenagers. WHich is not to say they are all sleeping around, just that their objections are based on something other than what I would call morality.

Obviously not all believe it. But most children in our society are raised without a religious (e.g., Christian, Jewish, Muslim) framework that would enjoin chastity, or by Christians, Jews or Muslims who do not try or do not success to teach chastity. Without that teaching, they can hardly be blamed for accepting a theory that justifies doing what they want to do anyway.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
rajm
Shipmate
# 5434

- Posted      Profile for rajm   Author's homepage   Email rajm   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tina:
So no gay priests in Forward in Faith then?

Clearly not otherwise they wouldn't have a double-entendre laden title like new directions.

Have you seen the colour of the web pages, every one is some bright garish eugh. Using blink tag over vast sections of it, shudder!

R
[Cool]

Posts: 131 | From: Cheshire | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wasn't "Forward in Faith" the title of a mission that Jess' church had in "Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit"?

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For some comic relief, see this item on the Tom Paine site.

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sean D
Cheery barman
# 2271

- Posted      Profile for Sean D   Author's homepage   Email Sean D   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am posting this question here in the first instance as although I think in theory it could have a new purg thread, it would almost certainly derail into DH and have to be moved here anyway.

Recently I came across the website for a group called NARTH, who style themselves the "National Association for Research and Therapy of Homosexuality". A bold claim. Basically they argue that homosexuality is not necessarily permanent and that therapy can help. The officers and members of NARTH are all psychiatrists, psychologists, behavioural scientists and the like. In other words they are not stupid people. I was quite surprised to find out such an organisation existed, to be honest, as I thought most ex-gay ministries were not very mainstream, and on the surface at least this does look mainstream.

My question is not so much about their arguments and positions (although obviously if people would like to discuss these they can do) but more to do with the organisation, which I had not heard of before. Are they quasi-nut job fundies? Or extremists? Is their science simply dishonest? Or are they honest scientists who happen to disagree on good scientific grounds with others?

Basically I am asking in order to try and discern how seriously to take their literature, arguments, papers etc on their website. On the surface it looks very professional and impressive and so on but I remember someone wisely telling me once that "not everything on the internet is true".

Would be grateful for any thoughts, experiences, comments etc. Thanks!

--------------------
postpostevangelical
http://www.stmellitus.org/

Posts: 2126 | From: North and South Kensington | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sean D
Cheery barman
# 2271

- Posted      Profile for Sean D   Author's homepage   Email Sean D   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
P.S.

On their website they claim to be secular - does anyone know how true this is?

--------------------
postpostevangelical

Posts: 2126 | From: North and South Kensington | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK here's another post that doesn't really fit the flow of this thread, but I know that it I raised it in Purg it would soon get derailed and end up here...

Here are some thoughts from a gay friend at work
quote:
My personal opinion is that "gay", "straight", and "bi" all mean the same thing, but with different emphasis.
I don't see sexuality as distinct steps - I see it as a very large scale, with people sitting at any point along it that they wish. I would also go as far as saying that those people who claim to be at either extreme of the scale are in fact closer to the middle than most, and are forcing themselves to adopt this binary attitude to sexuality in order to cover this up.

Do you think he might be right (particularly the bit in bold; I think the rest is pretty much accepted wisdom anyway) and does it go any way to explain homophobia, or even the conservative Christian attitudes to gays (which of course is always claimed not to be homophobia)?

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
ChristinaMarie
Shipmate
# 1013

- Posted      Profile for ChristinaMarie         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi Gracious Rebel,

It's certainly true in my case that I acted as a straight man and denied my bisexuality and transsexuality to cover up.

One of the problems is the homophobia in society which causes people to cover up, because they are afraid.

In Gay and Lesbian circles, it is not uncommon for Bisexual to be a dirty word. Emmerdale have recently had a sub-plot about this.

Christina

Posts: 2333 | From: Oldham | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why do you think Bisexual is a dirty word in gay and Lesbian circles then? It doesn't really fit the theory (from my friend) does it? Just curious.

Maybe if I watched Emmerdale I'd understand!! [Biased]

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
ChristinaMarie
Shipmate
# 1013

- Posted      Profile for ChristinaMarie         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In between straight and gay there is a scale according to your friend? That scale is bisexuality.

A 'straight' person may act totally straight because deep down they feel bisexual, maybe just a bit.

Bisexuals aren't liked by some because they 'won't make their mind up'. Some believe there is no such thing as bisexuality. On Corrie St, Todd was never advised by ANYONE that he may be bisexual, as an option.

On Emmerdale, a lesbian woman has decided to date a guy, and her lesbian ex-lover and friend went ballistic. Betraying the cause, etc.

Christina

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sean,
I discussed NARTH earlier on this thread in a reply to Faithful Sheepdog - they haven't a shred of scientific credibility. I've quoted the relevant bit for you

quote:
Neil I'm perfectly aware of NARTH and their poor professional reputation within their own field. They claim to base their work on psychoanalysis but they are disowned by the American Psychoanalytic Association

The same letter also notes:

quote:
Increasingly, NARTH seems to be attracting membership and financial support from members of the radical religious right, who use their pronouncements as "scientific" backing for their bigoted anti-homosexual activities.
(This letter dates from 1997 and pre-dates the research by Shidlo and Schroeder in 2002 on the ineffectiveness and harmfulness of reparative therapy)

NARTH completely contradict statements by all other professional mental health organizations on this subject. The fact that they may have some non-conservative religious members hardly turns them into a disinterested professional group. They exist solely to push an agenda on homosexuality which has been long rejected by the major professional bodies.

The whole exchange starts on
p.21 of this thread and continues onto p.22. It would be worth re-reading it as we had quite a long discussion about the so-called 'reparative' therapy which NARTH push.

cheers,
Louise

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Faithful Sheepdog
Shipmate
# 2305

- Posted      Profile for Faithful Sheepdog   Email Faithful Sheepdog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Louise:
Sean, I discussed NARTH earlier on this thread in a reply to Faithful Sheepdog - they haven't a shred of scientific credibility. I've quoted the relevant bit for you

Louise, at least you're consistent - I see that you haven't lost your touch for extreme dogmatism. Not even a "shred" of credibility. Methinks the lady doth protest too much. [Razz]

I'm under no illusions about the highly politicised nature of the various American mental health bodies cited. This is not disinterested science, if indeed there is such a thing. It's no different in my own professional field - nuclear safety.

Sean, you'll find that no-one is neutral about NARTH. Do your own studies and make up your own mind. Here is a link to their webpage on the Spitzer study on reorientation therapy published in a standard journal. Spitzer's views are probably far removed from NARTH's, but here is a quote from his conclusions:
quote:
Is reorientation therapy harmful? For the participants in our study, Spitzer notes, there was no evidence of harm. "To the contrary," he says, "they reported that it was helpful in a variety of ways beyond changing sexual orientation itself." And because his study found considerable benefit and no harm, Spitzer said, the American Psychiatric Association should stop applying a double standard in its discouragement of reorientation therapy, while actively encouraging gay-affirmative therapy to confirm and solidify a gay identity.
Neil

--------------------
"Random mutation/natural selection works great in folks’ imaginations, but it’s a bust in the real world." ~ Michael J. Behe

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are you still pushing that discredited Spitzer study? Have you no shame? Or have you just not bothered to keep up with the research?

Don't you give a damn about the damage these badly misnamed 'therapies' are known to have caused people? I already cited to you the study which refuted that in 2002 - two years ago and you're still pushing this as if it has never been refuted. If there's 'dogmatism' going on here I know what quarter it's coming from.

Yeah, all professional mental health bodies are 'highly politicised' because they don't adhere to certain religious views of yours.

Here's a useful summary

Gregory Herek of University of California at Davis

Also earlier on in the thread I posted a link to a talk by Cleveland Evans (Given at the More Light Presbyterians Luncheon, 215th General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church USA, at Denver , Colorado) which might be helpful.

I feel sick when I see people still pushing this - I've seen first hand how friends have been damaged by it. [Frown]

L.

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Sean D
Cheery barman
# 2271

Louise (and indeed Neil)

Thanks for your helpful comments - I did a search for NARTH on the boards but for some reason it didn't show up; I probably mis-entered something. I will go back and read that part of the discussion.

Cheers for taking the time to answer

Sean

--------------------
postpostevangelical

Sean D
Cheery barman
# 2271

Have now done some more reading and it seems abundantly apparent that the Spitzer study (for example) is hardly a representative and comprehensive piece of solid evidence - not that Prof Spitzer has claimed it to be, it is more what is claimed for it by others such as NARTH which is the problem.

Having also studied more on their website (although I am hardly an expert on the science) it seems to me that their interpretations of some of the evidence could be valid but it very much seems as if they are interpreting according to preconceived ideas - which might be ok if they were theologians but it certainly isn't good science. If they were more explicit about their reasons for believing as they do and showing how their scientific understandings were contiguous with this I would have a lot more respect for it.

Thanks Louise and co for pointers.

--------------------
postpostevangelical

Rex Monday

None but a blockhead
# 2569

- Posted      Profile for Rex Monday   Email Rex Monday   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

<snip>

Yeah, all professional mental health bodies are 'highly politicised' because they don't adhere to certain religious views of yours.

<snip>

But this is a commonplace. For those who see everything primarily as an aspect of their religion, then everything is primarily religious. It stands to reason, for want of a better word, that everything with which they disagree is also primarily religious. It is therefore impossible to hold a discussion with these types on any other terms, because they dismiss other approaches as deliberately duplicitous or at best badly misinformed.

I'm reminded of various friends in the past who contrived a great enthusiasm for a newly discovered way of life -- such as BDSM, a particular political viewpoint, neo-paganism or whatever -- and who are rendered incapable of seeing *anything* otherwise. (A key diagnostic is to ask them to consider the possibility that they are wrong, to try seeing things from a different viewpoint and to describe what they see. A true enthusiast will find this sinister and dangerous.)

All you can do in such circumstances is lay out the facts as you see them in order that others can make their own decision. I can't remember who said that you can't use logic to talk someone out of an opinion they've reached without logic, but I've found that personally proven beyond doubt.

In a case like this, where FS is proposing a course of action that is known to be actively harmful to others, you have to be persistent...

R

--------------------
I am largely against organised religion, which is why I am so fond of the C of E.

Posts: 514 | From: Gin Lane | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Faithful Sheepdog
Shipmate
# 2305

quote:
Originally posted by Rex Monday:
In a case like this, where FS is proposing a course of action that is known to be actively harmful to others, you have to be persistent...

You do like to smear by association and allusion, don't you?

On the ex-gay issue, you may like to investigate Peter Ould's website. He certainly identifies himself as ex-gay. He also has some outspoken opinions on the subject.

I believe that he also used to post on the Ship. Does anyone know why he stopped?

Neil

--------------------

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

And I'll raise you two of Inanna's excellent posts on the subject as she speaks from personal experience whereas you and I do not.

quote:
Originally posted by Inanna:
Oh. And to add to this (I was wondering where to bring this in)....

Courage Trust, who used to be part of Exodus and the ex-gay movement, have separated from them, saying that
quote:

"experience has proved this ["coming out" of homosexuality] to be a counter-productive approach. The result of seeking the mind of Christ for this area of ministry in the light of many years experience, together with further bible study, has been to see that God recognises and supports sincere committed relationship between gay people where there is no likelihood of the possibility of marriage."

They've also parted company from the Evangelical Alliance, because of this view that lesbians and gays have the same need for intimacy in relationships as anyone else.

And three cheers for them in my book, for finally being honest and admitting that for the vast majority of people, their sexual orientation cannot be altered, no matter how hard you pray.

quote:
Originally posted by Inanna:
I do also believe that God can change some people who are deeply unhappy with their sexuality.

I was part of an online community debating the whole issue of Christianity and homosexuality, with the aim of "bridging the divide" and enabling good honest communication with people on both sides of the issue. (It's at Bridges Across if anyone wants to check it out)

And I met people there who claimed that God had healed them, and who had families etc to back up their evidence. And could show God at work in their lives, and told of how deeply unhappy they were with their sexuality prior to healing.

I also met people like myself for whom God's healing had taken the form of helping us to accept both our sexuality and our faith.

I don't believe we can limit God. I do believe that the former instance - the true "ex-gay" is incredibly rare, and that for many people, the ex-gay ministries have caused an awful lot more emotional damage than they were trying to heal.

And this even applies to its founders - the two men who ran the ex-gay group Courage (I /think/ it was that one) are now living together in a committed Christian partnership, and have apologised for the damage that their ministry caused.

It's a tough area. But I don't want to deny what God is doing in other people's lives. I also would like other people to respect what that same God is doing in mine, and how I am "working out my salvation with fear and trembling, knowing that it is God who is working in me."

Peace,
Kirsti

(bloc of italics mine)

A Christian friend I love dearly was nearly destroyed by attempts to change his sexuality by the sort of analytic therapy NARTH espouses.

But don't take my word for it. What I've also seen is the studies which show the amount of harm these therapies do in contrast to their meagre results. A quote from the paper by Cleveland Evans I cited earlier.

quote:
There will always be such resilient people in any situation, and I’m even willing to bet that if Shidlo and Schroeder had had a true random sample of reparative therapy clients the percentage of resilient people would have been a bit higher. But the harm suffered by the other 155 failures of reparative therapy was often grievous. Many reported an increase in depression and guilt because of beliefs that they had somehow chosen to be especially sinful. Some developed an obsessive concern with their masculinity or femininity; some reported broken relationships with parents who they had been taught to blame for their sexual orientation. Many had increased feelings of alienation and loneliness, both from their loss of friends in the “ex-gay” community and the belief that they could never fit into society anywhere. Many had low self-esteem from believing the false information about gay and lesbian life that they had been taught. Perhaps most important for this audience, many of the two thirds who described themselves as religious suffered spiritual harm, such as loss of faith, or anger at and inability to trust God and the church.

Some of this harm was related to practices of some reparative therapists that Shidlo and Schroeder found to be unethical. These included telling patients that since they were straight-acting or religious they had to be successful; telling them that high motivation and hard work would always result in success, [list cut for brevity] and in a few cases encouraging clients to heterosexually marry as an aid to change. Perhaps one of the worst ethical violations was the giving of false information about gay and lesbian lives. Joseph Nicolosi [of NARTH - L] and his followers in particular tell their clients that gay relationships are invariably either volatile immature infatuations, or are open relationships where the partners have more sex with strangers than with each other, and that gay relationships can never possess the consistency, trust, mutuality, and sexual fidelity of heterosexual marriages.

[italics mine]

These 'therapies'/ministries do a disproportionate amount of damage and many act unethically which is why no reputable mental health body will touch them with a bargepole.

To go back to something I said on another earlier thread the response of some black people to apartheid was to use damaging skin-lightening creams to pass for white. This is in effect what these 'therapies' are offering to gay people. For the vast majority a far better solution is to remove the conditions which lead to them being forced into this kind of psychological strait-jacket in the first place (or in this case should that be 'straight-jacket'?)

Louise

--------------------

Faithful Sheepdog
Shipmate
# 2305

quote:
A Christian friend I love dearly was nearly destroyed by attempts to change his sexuality by the sort of analytic therapy NARTH espouses.

This proves nothing. A few years ago my Dad nearly died on the operating table. His heart stopped twice and he lost umpteen pints of blood due to a massive haemorrhage. Was it a hellish experience? Yes. Were the surgeons right to operate? Yes. How is my Dad today? Irrepressible and, due to my ME/CFS, far healthier than I am. Just because a medical procedure is painful and difficult doesn't mean it is wrong.

quote:
Louise said:
These 'therapies'/ministries do a disproportionate amount of damage and many act unethically which is why no reputable mental health body will touch them with a bargepole.

Here's a quote from the letter from Ralph Roughton of the American Psychoanalytic Association, to which you linked earlier:
quote:

There are many analysts, psychiatrists, and psychologists that would like for our organizations to declare this "conversion" or "reparative" therapy unethical. However much some of us might feel this to be true, it also raises questions of state control over freedom to practice therapy and is hampered by lack of valid statistical data to prove that overall the treatment is harmful. We have anecdotal evidence, but not yet statistical data.

Clearly in some circles this form of therapy is viewed with considerable distaste. It is also equally clear that it is not unethical at present. NARTH reports a continuing demand from clients for this kind of therapy.

The psychology of abusive situations is something that I have studied. Abuse occurs in all kinds of environments reflecting all viewpoints, when the rights of a person are disrespected and ignored. Reparative therapy is no more inherently abusive than any other kind of therapy.
quote:
Louise said:
To go back to something I said on another earlier thread the response of some black people to apartheid was to use damaging skin-lightening creams to pass for white. This is in effect what these 'therapies' are offering to gay people.

You're piggy-backing on the racial issue here, which is a separate subject altogether. There is no parallel betweeen the racial civil rights struggles earlier in the 20th century, and the homosexual morality issues discussed on this thread.

Race is a genetically fixed and immutable feature with no inherent moral characteristics. Homosexual behaviour, and sexual behaviour in general, is something quite different. We all have a moral choice here.

Neil

[edited for spelling]

[ 10. June 2004, 20:52: Message edited by: Faithful Sheepdog ]

--------------------

ChristinaMarie
Shipmate
# 1013

I see nothing wrong with someone seeking psychotherapy to change sexual orientation if that is what they desire to achieve.

I see a lot wrong with organisations who wish to achieve a change of sexual orientation in homosexuals in general.

In the first case, I am assuming a therapy setting where homosexual desire is not seen as a bad thing or a good thing. If the orientation does not change, the client could re-adjust to accept their orientation.

In the second case, homosexual orientation is labelled as pathological or sinful. That labelling means the client cannot explore what is true for them, but they are expected to reach a standard. If they fail, the client could end up suicidal, in the worst case, because they have acccepted very negative labels about themselves.

I'm sick and tired of the extremes of both sides of the debate.

What has happened to bisexuality? Why isn't that mentioned?

A gay extreme is to say that straight people would never have sex with the same sex. Have they never heard of prisons? What about the cultic sexual activity that is forbidden in Leviticus and to which Paul alludes to in Romans 1?

NARTH admits the research about the development od sex differences in the brain, and that some transsexual people had the patterning of the sex they THOUGHT they were, not that of their genitals at birth. Then, it says that 'there are differences between the sexes, despite what transsexuals want to believe.' That's the very opposite of what most transsexuals are saying. A transsexual person argues VERY much in favour that our sex differences are in the brain. (with regard to gender identity)

Personally, I think that some homosexual people may have something of that sex difference in the brain, so that the person is attracted to the same sex. In transsexual people, it is a full-blown gender identity thing.

Some people MAY have psychological causes of transsexuality or homosexuality. Many people who think they are TS, find out they are not through hormonal treatment, or other factors. It may be that some ex-gay people were orientated as gay through non-physical means.

It's the REDUCTIONISM that gets me, as if everything has ONE cause. So we go to extremes arguing about what we believe is the cause.

Another thing that bothers me is ex-gays or ex-TSs, who campaign, as if their solution fits all. It is a well-known psychological phenomena that campaigning for something helps a person 'stay well.' This is why many people who have dealt with alcoholism with AA, get involved with helping other alcoholics.

Christina

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

quote:
Originally posted by Faithful Sheepdog:
quote:

This proves nothing. A few years ago my Dad nearly died on the operating table. His heart stopped twice and he lost umpteen pints of blood due to a massive haemorrhage. Was it a hellish experience? Yes. Were the surgeons right to operate? Yes. How is my Dad today? Irrepressible and, due to my ME/CFS, far healthier than I am. Just because a medical procedure is painful and difficult doesn't mean it is wrong.

Which is why I said in the very next sentence

quote:

But don't take my word for it. What I've also seen is the studies which show the amount of harm these therapies do in contrast to their meagre results.

However to follow on from what you say, surgeons who operate unnecessarily using painful and life threatening techniques based on a cocktail of outdated and disproved research and religious prejudice deserve to be sued and struck off, if not criminally prosecuted. This is a closer analogy to what is going on with NARTH.

Speaking of using reseach without due care and attention, your next point is no better.

quote:
Originally posted by Faithful Sheepdog
quote:
Louise said:

Here's a quote from the letter from Ralph Roughton of the American Psychoanalytic Association, to which you linked earlier:
quote:

There are many analysts, psychiatrists, and psychologists that would like for our organizations to declare this "conversion" or "reparative" therapy unethical. However much some of us might feel this to be true, it also raises questions of state control over freedom to practice therapy and is hampered by lack of valid statistical data to prove that overall the treatment is harmful. We have anecdotal evidence, but not yet statistical data.

Clearly in some circles this form of therapy is viewed with considerable distaste. It is also equally clear that it is not unethical at present. NARTH reports a continuing demand from clients for this kind of therapy.

The psychology of abusive situations is something that I have studied. Abuse occurs in all kinds of environments reflecting all viewpoints, when the rights of a person are disrespected and ignored. Reparative therapy is no more inherently abusive than any other kind of therapy.

Did you miss the bit where I pointed out that that letter pre-dated detailed research into the harmful effects of 'reparative' therapy by five years and needs to be read in the light of later findings?

Here are my exact words:

quote:
(This letter dates from 1997 and pre-dates the research by Shidlo and Schroeder in 2002 on the ineffectiveness and harmfulness of reparative therapy)
In the light of more recent research, it's not an ethical thing to suggest this approach today when its harmful effects are better understood. Which is why no professional body which is not based around a single-issue anti-homosexuality agenda recommends it.

quote:
originally posted by Faithful Sheepdog
quote:
Louise said:
To go back to something I said on another earlier thread the response of some black people to apartheid was to use damaging skin-lightening creams to pass for white. This is in effect what these 'therapies' are offering to gay people.

You're piggy-backing on the racial issue here, which is a separate subject altogether. There is no parallel betweeen the racial civil rights struggles earlier in the 20th century, and the homosexual morality issues discussed on this thread.

Race is a genetically fixed and immutable feature with no inherent moral characteristics. Homosexual behaviour, and sexual behaviour in general, is something quite different. We all have a moral choice here.

Neil

[edited for spelling]

It's not as different as you'd like it to be. When a group in the population have some harmless trait which cannot easily be changed without harm - whether it's colour of skin, ethnic group, body shape, or sexuality - people who push the prejudices which lead them to seek self-damaging 'cures' are equally culpable.

Sometimes people in the despised group suffer so much that they will seek out any means - however damaging - in order to conform and put themselves through all kinds of cruel 'therapies' in order to be accepted, that does not let the people who advocate these cruel measures off the hook.

Here you leave the realms of 'I think its sinful and people ought to abstain' and get into promoting a psychological branch of pseudo-science which has caused great cruelty to many people.

Louise

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

(regarding the doctor analogy)

Doctors used to perform hysterectomies for psychological reasons. As time went on and research improved, medical science deemed this unnecessary. I am sure there was a crossover period when there was still some debate and some doctors still performed unecessary hysterectomies; those doctors can be forgiven.

But if there were doctors that lobbied for psychological hysterectomies after they were found to be unnecessary or ineffective or just a worse cure than what ever the disease might be, they would be guilty of malpractice.

Is it so diffucult for us to accomodate a pesron's sexual orientation that we have to purge it out of them? It is not for me; I decided that a long time ago, brought it before the Lord, and have never seen any argument convincing enough to make me go back.If (generic)you as a Christian cannot accept homosexualiy, why not just step aside and let those of us who are accepting minister to gay people, and be ministered to by them? Maybe we are simply called to different things.

--------------------

Faithful Sheepdog
Shipmate
# 2305

quote:
Sometimes people in the despised group suffer so much that they will seek out any means - however damaging - in order to conform and put themselves through all kinds of cruel 'therapies' in order to be accepted, that does not let the people who advocate these cruel measures off the hook.

Here you leave the realms of 'I think its sinful and people ought to abstain' and get into promoting a psychological branch of pseudo-science which has caused great cruelty to many people.

Louise, when will you get it into your head that I do not "despise" homosexuals per se. From a Christian perspective I consider such sexual activity to be immoral behaviour. Is that such a difficult concept for you to get your head round?

All I am saying is that some people will benefit from this type of therapy and that it should be available to an informed client. At no point have I advocated that anyone should be subject to hateful, cruel or violent treatment. Your misrepresentation of my views here is beginning to get very tiresome.

With regard to the 2002 Schidlo and Schroeder study and the 2003 Spitzer study, here is a link to a simple analysis by Throckmorton of the sampling basis for both studies:
quote:
The difference in the outcomes of Shidlo and Schroeder and Spitzer (2003) is all about sampling. Shidlo and Schroeder advertised on the Internet and other places, specifically looking for people who felt harmed by attempts to change sexual orientation. Spitzer was looking for people who felt they had changed and were happy about it. Both studies were convenience samples, meaning the authors deliberately sought a certain type of participant. Nothing is random about either study so individually they say nothing about how likely or not change is to occur.
As you will see, both papers started out by intention with very skewed samples. Not surprisingly both found what they were looking for.

You will find that Throckmorton has written extensively on the ethical issues involved in reorientation therapy. Here is a short paper dating from 2002, and here is a much longer paper dating from 1998.

Neil

--------------------

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 

quote:
Louise, when will you get it into your head that I do not "despise" homosexuals per se. From a Christian perspective I consider such sexual activity to be immoral behaviour. Is that such a difficult concept for you to get your head round?

All I am saying is that some people will benefit from this type of therapy and that it should be available to an informed client. At no point have I advocated that anyone should be subject to hateful, cruel or violent treatment. Your misrepresentation of my views here is beginning to get very tiresome.

I'm biased, of course, because I agree with Louise. But I don't think she is misrepresenting you.

You say that homosexuality is immoral from a Christian perspective. Fair enough. But you also think that some homosexuals will benefit from therapy which will change their orientation. However it is by no means clear that their orientation can be changed and those groups offering such therapy tend to be Christians who see homosexuality as a condition which can be fixed or cured.

This is problematic because if homosexuality is not a condition and cannot be fixed then, effectively, groups offering such therapy are encouraging gay people to undergo a species of 'therapy' which cannot deliver what is advertised and does violence to them, in the sense that it attempts to change something which is not susceptible to change.

If one is going to insist that gay people remain celibate, (personally I do not think that all gay people are called to celibacy, but you knew that)then it would be more helpful to offer some kind of support like that which churches offer to celibate heterosexuals (priests, nuns, monks) which treats their sexual desires as a given but offers them strategies for managing them. Saying one can take a gay person and fix his or her sexuality is merely cruel and unfair, not to say dishonest.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sean D
Cheery barman
# 2271

quote:
Originally posted by ChristinaMarie:
What about the cultic sexual activity that is forbidden in Leviticus and to which Paul alludes to in Romans 1?

This is what he is alluding to in your opinion. This is hardly a proven fact.

--------------------
postpostevangelical

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

Would that be this Dr Warren Throckmorton as described by the Ohio Psychological Association?

quote:
In his proponent testimony, Dr. Warren Throckmorton spoke to you about what he
purported are the views of the mental health community and the results of the scientific study of homosexuality. These views are neither mainstream, nor well informed, nor based in good science, nor representative of the views of organized psychology. As an Ohio Psychologist, I come to you today to present and clarify the professional and scientifically based views of the mental health community, with the hope that your vote on this bill will be based.

(the summission is worth reading in itself)

Perhaps instead of looking through the lens of an anti-gay campaigner people could read the controversial study for themselves
Shidlo & Schroeder

You don't need to hate a group in order to advocate policies which do great damage to that group.

L.

--------------------

Sean D
Cheery barman
# 2271

The main problem I see with this is that approaching professional psychological counselling of gay people with the intention and set aim of changing their sexuality is certainly not appropriate and could very well be damaging. Working with people to help them accept themselves and come to a deeper awareness of "why" they feel as they do* without any agenda might well be productive and helpful, and for some people it might even lead to shifts in their feelings. But pursuing it with an agenda for change which may never come is unquestionably dangerous, because however unconsciously it pressurises people to change and this can cause profound damage if that change does not take place.

* That's if there is a why. This will of course vary immensely: some gay and bisexual people have simply always felt that way without any equivocation, for others it was a particular experience which initiated feelings or brought them to terms with feelings which were previously unacknowledged. It is immensely complex and infinitely variable.

--------------------
postpostevangelical

Faithful Sheepdog
Shipmate
# 2305

quote:
Callan said:
You say that homosexuality is immoral from a Christian perspective. Fair enough. But you also think that some homosexuals will benefit from therapy which will change their orientation. However it is by no means clear that their orientation can be changed and those groups offering such therapy tend to be Christians who see homosexuality as a condition which can be fixed or cured.

This is problematic because if homosexuality is not a condition and cannot be fixed then, effectively, groups offering such therapy are encouraging gay people to undergo a species of 'therapy' which cannot deliver what is advertised and does violence to them, in the sense that it attempts to change something which is not susceptible to change.

Callan, there is an unfortunate confusion in your post. It is partly caused by the wide semantic range of the word therapy, and also by the wide range of the word ex-gay, especially when the latter is used pejoratively.

At the one end of the scale are the small informal therapy groups, not dissimilar to the ME self-help group to which I belong. We provide each other with emotional and moral support; discuss symptoms, treatments and remedies; and encourage each other in the face of a debilitating and unwanted illness. However, no-one in this group promises anyone a cure. We have to learn to live with our illness for as long as it takes.

In the UK you will find that True Freedom Trust (Anglican and evangelical) and EnCourage Trust (RC) operate mostly on the above model. Both discourage the description ex-gay because of its inherent ambiguity. Both are heavily focussed on a faithful life of celibate Christian discipleship if one is not called to marriage.

Martin Hallett of TfT has an article on the whole subject of changing orientation on TfT’s website. He is particularly cautious on this subject, since he wants to affirm that our identity as Christians is in Christ, regardless of the object of our sexual desires. Redemption and salvation is not to be equated with reorientation.

These informal group settings should be clearly distinguished from the intense one-on-one therapy offered by professional counsellors and therapists trained in psychology or psychiatry. In such a setting the prior informed consent of the client regarding the goal of the therapy (reorientation or whatever) is essential.

This kind of therapy can be a much more intense experience, and accordingly is likely to be much harder work. It is also likely to be the context where an incompetent or abusive practitioner can do considerably more damage than an informal support group. As an aside, I get the impression that this kind of therapy is much more readily available in the US than it is in the UK, but I may be wrong.

If you can bear to read anything published by IVP, I recommend chapter 5 of “Homosexuality: The Use of Scientific Research in the Church’s Moral Debate” by Jones and Yarhouse. They provide a comprehensive review of all the available data on therapeutic intervention to change sexual orientation, together with a critique of the study methodology, a description of the terminology used, and a consideration of critical opinions.

Since their conclusions are heavily qualified, you will need to read the book to find out what the data would appear to suggest in terms of therapeutic success. However, the evidence that some people can and do change is overwhelming.

Neil

--------------------

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 

quote:
Callan, there is an unfortunate confusion in your post. It is partly caused by the wide semantic range of the word therapy, and also by the wide range of the word ex-gay, especially when the latter is used pejoratively.

Which is why I put 'therapy' in quotes and didn't use the word 'ex-gay'.

The groups you cited such as TfT and EnCourage are the sort of thing I had in mind when I suggested encouraging people to live out celibate lives and manage their sexual desires. It is the second class of intervention which is more problematic as there is a tidy body of evidence which suggests that such intervention can do more harm than good.

Whilst there may be evidence that some people change (I'll have a decko at the book you mentioned, should a copy fall into my hands - I've got both Holloways on the bookshelf, so I think I can cope. [Biased] ) it would appear that success in such an enterprise is by no means guaranteed and you yourself concede that damage could be done by an abusive or incompetent practicioner. It therefore seems to be the case that the TfT/ EnCourage model is going to be more helpful than any attempt to change a persons orientation. The data on orientation change seems too ambiguous to suggest anything else.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

How many straight people posting on this thread seriously think their heterosexual orientation can be reversed via psychotherapy?

Suppose the worst paranoid fears of Fred Phelps and co turned true, and society and churches started persecuting straight people.

How would we feel when they started urging us to submit ourselves to unproven sexual therapies for which many people have recorded disastrous side effects?

How would we feel about the kind of people urging that on us?

L.

--------------------

iGeek.*

Resident alien
# 3207

- Posted      Profile for iGeek.*   Author's homepage         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Said before but bears repeating, sexuality isn't a binary condition. The Kinsey Scale , which at least acknowledges the reality of gender attaction across a continuum, is a fairly gross means of characterisation. The Klein Scale does a better job of getting at the intracacies. However, the subtlties seem to get lost in the heat of the battle when arguments must be marshalled and rhetorical battles lines must be drawn cleanly.

Thanks Louise for digging those references up. As for me, I can't dig into this far without becoming splutteringly mad. I know too many people who have been damaged emotionally and spiritually by the pressure applied (by pastors, spiritual counselors, parents, school authorities, friends, etc.) to change. Kids who are disowned by parents, kids who are outed in front of entire school populations. The option of "therapy" provides motivation and incentive for people insist that people change "or else". That's the reality. Grace and mercy more often are completely trodden over.

It's a nice idea to defend the therapy for those who *want* to change but it ain't that simple. How many people arrive at the point of deciding they want to change without having the immense weight of their social and religous context pressed down upon them, convincing them that they are simply not acceptable in the eyes of God or anybody else if they don't attempt it. And the current political context where gay civil rights issues are being used as a political wedge simply adds atomic powered fuel to the fire. It's a constant, insistent, persistent, perverse barrage that serves to chew up people up and spit them out.

So given the situation where I know so many people who are damaged, and I know people who are still involved in the ministries but are preparing to leave after investing years into what they've relized is quackery, and I start seeing people like Jeremy Marks speaking what looks like reasonable sense, why in the sam hell would I submit myself to it? Why would I want any other young person to be fed to the politically motivated machine that demonstratively damages people?

That's simply my experience of it. I admittedly watched all this play out from the sidelines, comfortable in my faux-heterosexual closet. I thank God that I didn't have to suffer through what my friends have.

--------------------
.sig on holiday

Posts: 702 | From: Hot-on-us, TX | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
How many straight people posting on this thread seriously think their heterosexual orientation can be reversed via psychotherapy?

That rather presumes the straight people in question see homosexuality as the norm and heterosexuality as the aberration. Most people who think that homosexuality can be "cured" rather see it the other way. Now granted I think they're wrong, but given their point of view, reversing the polarity to show the problem with their position just doesn't work. It doesn't show the problem. Another method is needed.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

From Sean:

quote:
It is immensely complex and infinitely variable.
And that is the bottom line for me. Which is easier: for a person to fight, struggle, and torture themselves to become what I think is right, or for me to try to accept what they bring to the table? And why should a gay person attempt the former for me if I have never attempted the latter for them?

--------------------

Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kelly and Louise, thanks. Again.

Kelly's last post hit me between the eyeballs. One of my colleagues is a young woman (age 26) whose parents have disowned her after she came out. Up until that point, she was the absolute apple of their collective eye. Her parents aren't even religious, so she can't apportion any responsibility to the church. Their response has literally come out of left field. They're not even letting her see her younger sister, although younger sister has worked out how to email her (hoorah for 13-year-olds and their technical skills). Little sister has worked out what the issue is and can't see the problem. Their correspondence is hilarious - they're both very girly girls, and I have learned things about makeup I never knew before!

My colleague hates what has happened, and is well on the way to hating her parents, simply because she loved them so much previously. She has tried her hardest to stay in contact, but when your family refuse to talk to you, what do you do? She sends birthday presents which are not acknowledged and letters which are never answered. She was brought up respecting honesty and now, honesty has brought her a great deal of pain.

As far as I am concerned, this has nothing whatsoever to do with her homosexuality. Her parents have chosen to shut her off as though she no longer exists. That is their choice, not hers, nor did she force them to it. It is their failure, not hers. Fortunately, she realises that now, although for a while I was a bit worried she was going to go under with depression.

Neither she nor I, nor any of the rest of the lesbians and gay men I know, are never going to want therapy to change our sexuality. We are as more or less happy as the rest of the population and getting on with our lives. Why should we give up our productive and useful lives to spend years agonising over one aspect of ourselves when it probably wouldn't change a thing? And why do people like Neil think we should? Would he give up years to be counselled about, oh, I don't know, having blue eyes? Because that's the level of the issue for me. You can wear coloured contact lenses, but the underlying colour will always be the same. And you have to take those lenses out occasionally or you will hurt your eyes.

Getting on with living is what matters.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
ChristinaMarie
Shipmate
# 1013

quote:
Originally posted by Seán D:
quote:
What about the cultic sexual activity that is forbidden in Leviticus and to which Paul alludes to in Romans 1?

This is what he is alluding to in your opinion. This is hardly a proven fact.
Leviticus holiness code is preceded by 'don't do what the Canaanites and Egyptians do' Paul is writing about idol worship in Romans 1, and one of its consequences is mentioned. It isn't just opinion, it is opinion based on the material.

Christina

ChristinaMarie
Shipmate
# 1013

quote:

Suppose the worst paranoid fears of Fred Phelps and co turned true, and society and churches started persecuting straight people.

L.

Dear Louise,

Certain straight people don't need psychotherapy for them to indulge in homosexual rape. A prison sentence will do.

Romans 1. Is it about people who are usually straight indulging in same-sex acts during idol worship? Or, is it about homosexuality in general?

I believe the former.

Personally, I believe a bisexual person who thinks they are straight, or homosexual, can be affected. But again, bisexual is a dirty word and doesn't get mentioned in discussions and debates. It's always a case of straight or gay, isn't it?

This ignores an important source of evidence.

Christina

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

Put in a situation where you can't choose the sex of your sexual partner and where there may be all kinds of pathological power dynamics going on, people can and do change who they fuck but I doubt that it changes their underlying orientation when you take the unnatural situation away.

It's certainly not a situation most of us would want to put ourselves in.

That toxic environments in prison or other environments where one sex is absent may temporarily change people's habits is not a great argument for people trying to replicate that kind of forced shift for life using 'therapy'. (I'm sure you weren't trying to make that argument Christinamarie - but in the context of this thread it needs to be addressed)

With regard to bisexuality, it might be easier for someone who is bisexual to accomodate him or herself to the sexual mores of conservative christianity but that still doesn't make it right for people to tell a bisexual man or woman that they should undergo therapy to erase or deny the same-sex side of their sexuality. It's like telling someone who is ambidextrous that they must only use their right hand or they will be committing some great sin and that they need therapy to suppress the urge to carry out some tasks left-handed.

I imagine that attempts to make bisexual people desire only one sex don't work too well either.

L

--------------------

Sean D
Cheery barman
# 2271

quote:
Leviticus holiness code is preceded by 'don't do what the Canaanites and Egyptians do' Paul is writing about idol worship in Romans 1, and one of its consequences is mentioned. It isn't just opinion, it is opinion based on the material.

Yes but there is definitely a step of logic between "Paul is talking about idolatry" (in general) and "he is referring to homosexual acts in the context of idol worship". So, whilst it is undeniably a possible interpretation of his meaning, it is hardly an undeniable one. Since he seems to be regard homosexual feelings as a result of idolatry (rather than homosexual activity as a constituent part of idolatrous practice) the interpretation that what he is condeming here is prostitution and pederasty (i.e. acts which took place within idol worship) is not convincing to me.

Having said that, it is then a step of logic from this interpretation to "homosexual acts are all wrong", because fallen does not automatically equal immoral. So both sides have a step of logic to make.

Louise I certainly agree with you that encouraging or even forcing people into counselling/therapy with the aim of trying to change their sexual orientation is a very dangerous thing. There is of course a difference between being forced into therapy with a therapist who has an agenda and a gay or bisexual person choosing therapy not in order to change but in order to come to a more self-aware and healthy understanding and acceptance of themselves, and I do know people in the latter group who have experienced varying degrees of "change" in their sexual feelings as a result of this.

I use the term "change" extremely advisedly, however, because it is anyone's guess how much they actually changed and how much was latent in the first place - e.g. they were always bisexual but simply hadn't come to terms with it.

I am certainly not making prescriptions or saying this is normative, normal or frequent. I suspect it is a tiny minority of cases only. Nobody should feel they have to go through this, of course.

[ 14. June 2004, 14:44: Message edited by: Seán D ]

--------------------
postpostevangelical

Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It's like telling someone who is ambidextrous that they must only use their right hand or they will be committing some great sin and that they need therapy to suppress the urge to carry out some tasks left-handed.
L

Which, of course, was a practice widely done in areas of the United States, well into the last century. My father was a lefty forced right-handed. He's a pianist, so he can use them both very well, but after years of forcing him to use his bad hand, he does write with the right. But you should see his handwriting.

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

Originally posted by Sean D.

quote:
There is of course a difference between being forced into therapy with a therapist who has an agenda and a gay or bisexual person choosing therapy not in order to change but in order to come to a more self-aware and healthy understanding and acceptance of themselves, and I do know people in the latter group who have experienced varying degrees of "change" in their sexual feelings as a result of this.
Which is, I suspect, the basis of the data that "change" may occur that FS, was referring to.

I would hesitate to dogmatically assert that no-one ever experiences a "change" of orientation as a result of therapy, or to put it more neutrally, after therapy. But the question: "should homosexuals undergo therapy in order to change their orientation" is best answered: "no, the data suggests that it is much more likely to damage them psychologically than to have the desired effect".

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  ...  92  93  94 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016