homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Dead Horses   » Homosexuality and Christianity (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  92  93  94 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Homosexuality and Christianity
Canucklehead
Shipmate
# 1595

- Posted      Profile for Canucklehead   Author's homepage   Email Canucklehead   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
i've never understood it either. it always seemed such an odd thing to care about. why would anyone care who someone else was having sex with, as long as it was consensual???

I don't think it is just anybody who cares about who you are having sex with, it is God who doesn't want us to sin.
Personally, I don't view homosexuality to be different from any other sin. When my best friend's marriage took a slide and he started shacking up with another girl I didn't shun him or love him any less, but rather I stood by him and encouraged him to return to his wife, which he thankfully did. After all, we are all sinners in need of Christ's forgivness, and homosexuality is no worse or better than some of the sins I struggle with on a daily basis. Hopefully, we are all seeking forgiveness for our sins as well as release from the grip they may have upon our lives while we struggle to abstain from them.

Gary

Posts: 135 | From: Victoria, BC | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The thing is, as I'm sure you will have noticed from reading the previous four pages of this thread, that many of us don't think there's anything sinful about homosexuality. Thus our bafflement that anyone cares.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Steve_R
Shipmate
# 61

- Posted      Profile for Steve_R   Email Steve_R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Canucklehead:

Personally, I don't view homosexuality to be different from any other sin

As one who has, elsewhere on these boards, quite clearly stated my opinion that the bible prohibits homosexual practice, I must come in here (having restrained myself as much as possible to date).

Let me make this clear: Homosexuality is not repeat not a sin. This has been agreed even by Pope John-Paul II. All arguments on this and other threads revolve around homosexual practice, something that is a matter for debate, but has been done to death here and which I, for one, have no wish to rehearse again.

As I have said elsewhere on these boards, we cannot know God's mind but can only guess. I strongly suspect that when each of us has the opportunity to ask him in person for his views on sin in general and any particular ones that concern us, then we will all be quite surprised, some more than others!

--------------------
Love and Kisses, Steve_R

Posts: 990 | From: East Sussex | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joan the Dwarf:
Open relationships and all that's not particular to homosexuality

Well, to some of us it is related, because people (on the boards and elsewhere) keep mentioning "committed couples," particularly monogamous ones, as their example of morally acceptable gay relationships. (Mind you, as I've stated here and elsewhere, I don't believe in sexual intercourse outside of male-female marriage, promiscuous or otherwise, as permitted to Christians. I also think Christians should not try to tell non-Christians what to do or not do in the bedroom...) When I see the assumption that we're talking about monogamous couples, I feel baffled and frustrated, because to me that's not the issue, and is completely irrelevant to my own life and to the lives of most of the other gay men I know. (I'm quite unlikely to meet monogamous gay men in the social venues I am part of, so I have no real idea what the proportion of monogamous to non-monogamous gay male relationships are.) To me "committed" also doesn't mean "exclusive," and so I felt I had to comment.

Sometimes I think my communities (mainly leather but I'm connected to the "bears" as well) are not well-liked by some others in the gay community who are fighting for acceptance, because the image they think will be most acceptable (two committed, exclusive partners, no more, no less) to outsiders who are dubious about gay relationships is far, far away from the way our own lives go. They don't like it when we march in gay pride parades in leather -- sometimes we are not even invited to, though we are often in attendance -- they think it gives the rest of them/us a bad name. Yet for me and for many others, the way we approach being gay is just as valid as theirs; all we want is to be accepted, or at least not persecuted, for not matching their model.

Some of us in the gay community are even dubious about legalised "gay marriage" (despite the obvious benefits to us) because it will still leave us out, or perhaps even pressure us to conform to that image. (Which may be part of the reason we accept "domestic partnership" more.)

Sorry for nattering on (and on) -- and I truly hope none of this is inflammatory to anyone.

David

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf

Ship's curiosity
# 1283

- Posted      Profile for Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf   Email Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, Chast, I didn't realise. I thought open gay relationships were as likely as open straight ones. Open mouth, insert foot. Sorry.

--------------------
"There is a divine discontent which has always helped to better things."

Posts: 1123 | From: Floating in the blue | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Canucklehead
Shipmate
# 1595

- Posted      Profile for Canucklehead   Author's homepage   Email Canucklehead   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is completely natural for people who engage in a certain activity to not want to view it as being in any way negative. I know several people who claim to be Christians, but one of their favourite hobbies involves downloading and using/distributing software and games off the internet form warez sites. What they are doing is sinful (stealing) but because they enjoy it and want to keep doing it they try hard to pretend there is nothing wrong with it. I believe the same is true with "christian" homosexuals. They don't want to face up to the fact that what they are doing is wrong because then they would have to take steps to change and avoid a behaviour which they clearly enjoy. But the point I was trying to make is that Christians should not ostracize them and force them out of their churches, but rather should welcome them and support them as the seek to break free of their unnatural lifestyle and turn their hearts toward God.
Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf

Ship's curiosity
# 1283

- Posted      Profile for Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf   Email Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is this guy for real? Or is it a case of "please do not feed the troll"?

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
joan, maybe he thinks that everyone whos been on the one side of the debate is gay?

ahem.

canucklehead... i'm straight.

and i don't think homosexual acts are sinful.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Canucklehead, although your comments about not ostracizing people are welcome (and I doubt anyone here would disagree) there are a couple of points about your last post I would want to raise.

If you've read this thread you will realise that many people here do not consider someones' sexuality as unnatural. To say people are homosexual because it is simply something they enjoy fails to recognise the struggles many people have had coming to terms with their sexuality.

Second I find the use of speech marks in the phrase "christian" homosexuals implying that homosexuals are not Christians. On this Ship we do not take it upon ourselves to decide who is or is not a Christian.

Alan
Purgatory host

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sniffy
Apprentice
# 1713

- Posted      Profile for sniffy   Author's homepage   Email sniffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not any single person can say what God is or isn't going to do (unless you are a Catholic and the person is the Pope and he happens to be wearing his infallible hat - which only happens about once every century or so).
Basically, God knows what is right. He knows our innermost hearts. He will judge rightly because he is the one with the crown o' thorns.

So, regardless of the rhetoric or who agrees with whom or who doesn't agree with whom, God will judge each of us justly. The justice may not have anything to do with anyone's rhetoric on this thread. Or it might. Regardless, our souls are in the balance.

If you aren't 1000% sure of how things will wash out, then change. Even if 95% of people think you're a kook for changing. If on the other hand, you are 1000% sure, then don't change. Even if 95% of people think you are a kook.

The bottom line is:
Kook is okay. Sin is not.

We should avoid sin. Since homosexuality seems to be in the gray area, then just watch it and stay in the white. People are obviously concerned for your everlasting souls.

But, Homosexuality definitely is not a reason to push someone out of the church. And it definitely isn't a reason to say "Oh gross, that must be crushed." And most definitely, homosexuality is not a reason to abandon God's grace or say someone has abandoned God's grace.

We shouldn't sin and we shouldn't judge like we are God.

Hit me please! And thanks in advance. I needed that.

--------------------
sniffy

Posts: 31 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Canucklehead
Shipmate
# 1595

If you've read this thread you will realise that many people here do not consider someones' sexuality as unnatural. To say people are homosexual because it is simply something they enjoy fails to recognise the struggles many people have had coming to terms with their sexuality.

Second I find the use of speech marks in the phrase "christian" homosexuals implying that homosexuals are not Christians. On this Ship we do not take it upon ourselves to decide who

Alan, I will in the future avoid the use of speech marks in the way that I did, thankyou for pointing this out to me. However, just because people struggle with a sexual issue doesn't mean it isn't unnatural, the fact is that homosexuality is not found in nature; hence it is "unnatural".

Joan, simply because I do not see eye-to-eye with you on this matter does not me that I am trolling. I have known several homosexual people, some of whom I have considered friends. That doesn't mean I accept what they do as being normal or in any way condone their actions. I DO NOT hate people - homosexual or otherwise. However, I do believe that ALL sin is an abomination to God, and I do believe that the bible treats homosexual activity as a sin. I know you will disagree with this and I don't write it simply to be unpleasant to you. It is simply what I believe in my heart to be true.

Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf

Ship's curiosity
# 1283

I'm not going to hit you, Sniffy

The problem with saying stay away from homosexual practice 'just to be on the safe side' is that there isn't a 'safe side'. There's no default practice that God's calling us to. It's flatly unnatural for a homosexual to engage in heterosexual practices, so steering clear of homosexual practice would mean celibacy. This isn't something to go for just because we can't do anything else - it should be a positive choice in its own right (ask any religious). There is no 'white' for a homosexual to stay in.

This actually ties up with what canuckle said, that we should "seek to break free of their unnatural lifestyle and turn their hearts toward God.". Putting aside the sanctimoniousness of his/her post, this is actually exactly what I have done by coming out. I've broken free of the unnatural lifestyle of first pretending to be straight, and then when that didn't work pretending that I was not a sexual being and not interacting with people sexually. My heart was turned towards God when I broke free of that pretense and oppression. Being homosexually active is something I see as a natural consequence of the way I am (not just as gay) - I am not called (at this time) to celibacy. Denying that side of a relationship would be denying what I feel God is leading me to, and has healed me enough to be able to do at some point. Avoiding sexual contact would be, I feel, wrong, and wronging God. For me, coming out was sacramental: it was a visible sign of God working within me. I mean more than that, but I don't have the words.

It feels like I've rambled in this post. I hope it makes some sense nevertheless.

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
canucklehead, have you read this thread?

please go back to the beginnning and take a look at my links on homosexual animals.

its perfectly natural.

which, as others have pointed out means nothing about its morality in the first place. but thats besides the point.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf

Ship's curiosity
# 1283

LOL! I was about to start my post asking canucklehead if s/he'd read the thread, but nicole got there first!

Anyways... if you had read the thread, you'll realise you're only the second time I've questioned if someone's a troll, out of all the people who've disagreed with me. It's a perfectly reasonable question on a thread such as this when someone comes in who looks as if they haven't read the thread, who hasn't posted anywhere else, and who says that anyone who disagrees with them is in denial because they want to carry on with something they like. I have to say I laughed out loud when I read that, it's not an argument that I find easy to take seriously

Read the exchanges with Drake, as this seems a bit familiar: his first posts were saying "come on guys you know I'm right". The point is we're debating - we're all entitled to our own views and to have those views taken seriously, rather than told we're trying to justify something that we know in our hearts is wrong because we enjoy it. It's common debating courtesy to engage with the issue, not try and psychoanalyse people. I've restrained myself a lot on that score

BTW, welcome aboard. Have a tramp around the boards, there's a lot more here than just homosexuality.

--------------------

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Canucklehead,

You say you've read this thread but then you raise exactly the same positions about homosexuality being unnatural or not occurring in nature which were responded to at length several pages ago here.

Similarly, the position that all homosexual activity is prohibited by scripture has also been argued against intelligently and in detail on this thread.

This is a debate board and not a place for you to simply announce, as if from on high, that you think something is 'unnatural' or not 'normal' or a 'sin' or 'abomination'.

If you want to debate, then please give original and cogent reasons why you find the previous rebuttals of your positions unsatisfactory.

If you don't want to debate, then why are you posting on this board?

Louise

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Canucklehead
Shipmate
# 1595

nicolemrw - you're right that I haven't exhaustively read the entire thread, it was just getting too long by the time I got around to it so I did some quick scanning of the posts that looked interesting. As for following your links that will have to wait until later because I am at work right now and the last thing I want is to hit the firewall while attempting to follow a link about gay sheep. I would certainly become quite a topic of conversation around here if I did that.

Joan - thanks for the welcome. I have lurked the boards for some time now, and although this isn't the first one I have posted to it's true that i haven't been very active. I suppose that in some sense my psychoanalysis, as you called it, of people justifying what they are doing so they can keep doing it is my way of trying to understand a behaviour that is so (in my mind) wrong. Anyway, as you can plainly see I have some very deep seated views on the topic which are not about to be changed anytime soon. But, as I alluded to in an earlier post, I am a sinner too and have my own sins to struggle with, so I don't view homosexuals to be any different from myself on that level at least. I do recognize that my viewpoint is offensive to you, but I do think it needs to be expressed at times.

Gary

sniffy
Apprentice
# 1713

- Posted      Profile for sniffy   Author's homepage   Email sniffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Joan et all,

I never said that one should avoid homosexual practices. I just said, just watch it and stay in the white. If to you there is no white, then that is fine. Stay in the lightest shade of gray as you can. I am not going to tell you what that is.

I am not God and neither is this Canucklehead. I am not agreeing nor want to be put in the same pot with him/her. On other things sure, but this - not the same Corningware for me.

Let me clarify, as it seems that I didn't write like my mind thought I was writing ...

We should avoid sin. Since homosexuality seems to be in the gray area, then just watch it and stay in the light gray area. I do not know what that means for you. It may have to do with practices, it may not. Again, I say I do not know. But somewhere there is a line over which it would be a sin, natural, unnatural, feels right, feels wrong ... regardless there is a line. God and you alone know what that area is for you. Follow that and have no fear.

Even if Canucklehead says he knows, he don't. Only you and God know. Stay gold and avoid sin. That is all we can try to do. Right?

That is all I am saying. No judgement here. I got too much to clean up over here. My backyard is awfully littered with wood. As you detect those things, please let me know and I'll think about them.

I'll take another please. And thank you.

--------------------
sniffy

Quinine
Shipmate
# 1668

- Posted      Profile for Quinine   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
[
people (on the boards and elsewhere) keep mentioning "committed couples," particularly monogamous ones, as their example of morally acceptable gay relationships. [...] When I see the assumption that we're talking about monogamous couples, I feel baffled and frustrated, because to me that's not the issue, and is completely irrelevant to my own life and to the lives of most of the other gay men I know. (I'm quite unlikely to meet monogamous gay men in the social venues I am part of, so I have no real idea what the proportion of monogamous to non-monogamous gay male relationships are.) To me "committed" also doesn't mean "exclusive," and so I felt I had to comment.

I suppose I'm one of the people who has quoted the example of a committed gay couple as an 'morally acceptable' relationship. Though I wouldn't use the phrase 'morally acceptable' in this context as it sounds rather grudging. It would sound as if I was saying, 'Okay, I'm willing to tolerate your being a practising homosexual so long as you do it in as respectable and heterosexual a way as possible, right down to the white dress and joint mortgage,' which is not what I have meant to say at any point, and apologise if it sounded that way.

I quoted the example because it's one I'm familar with: pretty much all my gay friends are 'non-scene', and so I don't have any experience of the sort of situation you describe, Chastmastr.

From my position of extreme ignorance, I have no idea how the dynamics of a non-exclusive sexual relationship, gay or straight, would work itself out in a loving way, having been brought up in a culture that sees long-term monogamy as the ideal.

But I'm sorry if the terms of this debate have been framed in a way that excludes a wide section of the gay community. Please don't stop posting on that account! We need to know if there's an aspect we're ignoring.

(Looks as though I'm not leaving this thread after all. )

Posts: 252 | From: In a fen | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lioba
Shipmate
# 42

- Posted      Profile for Lioba   Email Lioba   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Elaine from the bar:
[QB]From my position of extreme ignorance, I have no idea how the dynamics of a non-exclusive sexual relationship, gay or straight, would work itself out in a loving way, having been brought up in a culture that sees long-term monogamy as the ideal.

QB]

From my experience of answering a Lesbian Line for five years I'd say that for most lesbians non-exclusive sexual relationships don't work at all, and from listening to straight friends who experimented with it I'd say the same. But gay men seem to be very different with regard to being non exclusive anda happy couple. Lesbians tend more to be serially monogamous than having several partners at the same time, but that's another problem.

Maybe it is not such much a problem of being gay or straight but of being a man or a woman.

Abo

--------------------
Conversion is a life-long process.

Posts: 502 | From: Germany | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

sure! haven't you ever heard:

higamous hogamous,
women monogamous,
hogamous higamous,
men are polygamous

but i don't think thats true all the time anyway. no wide generalization ever is.

--------------------

Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf

Ship's curiosity
# 1283

snif - don't worry! I wasn't potting you with canucklehead, or thinking you were against homosexual practice - I was just pointing out that it's not as simple as, say, eating red shellfish - there isn't the 'safe' option of just not doing it if we're not sure we ought to (if there was a Deuterine prohibition against it, for eg. Maybe there is ). It's the outward consequence of an inward state, rather than an action divorced from an internal being.

canucklehead - not reading a thread properly and then posting isn't a great idea. You just piss people off by coming out with stuff that's been dealt with before. It also lays you open to accusations of crusading/trolling

--------------------

Inanna

Ship's redhead
# 538

- Posted      Profile for Inanna   Email Inanna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I've definitely been one of those folks promoting a committed monogomous relationship.

Because I believe that this is what gay Christians are called to. In the same way that straight men might like to have multiple partners, or casual sex, but their Christian ethics and beliefs mean that they aim for the ideal of monogomy - which has, as far as I know, been the church's teaching on marriage since the days of the Church fathers.

And it's not about 'aping' heterosexual partnerships - I simply believe that monogomous and faithful is the Christian "norm" for relationships, be they gay or straight.

Jeffrey John makes an excellent case for this in his book "Permanent, Faithful, Stable: Christian same-sex partnerships", published by Darton, Longman & Todd, which I highly recommend. It's a small book, and only £3.50 too.

And yayy Joan for your own news!! *Cheers loudly*

Peace,
Kirsti

--------------------
All shall be well
And all shall be well
And all manner of things shall be well.

Posts: 1495 | From: Royal Oak, MI | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
sniffy
Apprentice
# 1713

Joan,

Thanks for letting me clarify my point.

By the way, I didn't say I was for or against homosexual practices. And I don't think it matters where I weigh in on that.

That is between anyone who ever practices homosexual acts and God. (I did as a 8yr old kid with a friend). Determining if it is a sin or not is between every person and God. It is not for me, a crowd of people or anyone else to say what is a sin for anyone. The Church is our source for the truth (that is if we believe that the Church is guided by the Holy Spirit). If the Church is fine with it, then go baby go, there should be no sin and it is good. If it is gray, then be cautious - be bold too and live well and hard.

My point was: We all bring our skin to judgment. That's just the simple point.

P.S.
I love homosexuals. I have an uncle who is gay (he gave me 5 cousins too, before he came out). He is a great guy who impresses me with his understanding and compassion. I have a brother in law who is gay. A friend is also a homosexual. They are great people. And my dear ol' mom thought I was a homosexual until I was in college and started to date. But that is beside the point.

Friends regardless. Snif.

--------------------
sniffy

blackbird
Shipmate
# 1387

- Posted      Profile for blackbird     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
unfortunately, some churches are not fine with someone's being gay. so it isn't always that simple. we can't always just leave it to The Church and get on with our lives.

but to return to the ideas of what is "morally acceptable"...and multiple partners...i was wondering what do people think of the fundamentalist mormans who practice polygamy/polygny? there are estimated to be 50,000 or more polygamists in utah. and some say there are many more but they are urged to be discreet...many utahans(?) are descended from polygamists. apparently in the 50's the us govt tried to prosecute a bunch of polygamists in utah in Short Creek() and separated their children from them and threw the men in jail...but the country made such an outcry the govt., never did that again. even though it is technically illegal. (strange, that.) so some people have figured a way to exist with multiple partners within a context of scripture. it seems they base their beliefs on the old testament and J. Smith's revelations. what are the actual Christian teachings forbidding multiple partners? (seems like a stupid question, i know...but then, i really don't know.)

Posts: 1236 | From: usa | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Polygamy is a fascinating topic, blackbird -- but it needs to be its own thread, please.

RuthW
Purgatory host

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nicolemrw:
joan, maybe he thinks that everyone whos been on the one side of the debate is gay?

ahem.

canucklehead... i'm straight.

and i don't think homosexual acts are sinful.

And I'm gay, and I don't believe in homosexual sex!

(And we can even discuss our views without fighting.)

See, we really do run the gamut here at SoF.

--------------------

Alaric the Goth
Shipmate
# 511

- Posted      Profile for Alaric the Goth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Posted by Joan the Dwarf:
quote:
The problem with saying stay away from homosexual practice 'just to be on the safe side' is that there isn't a 'safe side'. There's no default practice that God's calling us to. It's flatly unnatural for a homosexual to engage in heterosexual practices, so steering clear of homosexual practice would mean celibacy.

I knew a man at a previous church I attended that had been in the same University Christian Union as me. In my student days I had no idea he had homosexual inclinations (I choose my words carefully). It was a major barrier between him and his father (AFAIK) that he was 'gay'.

Now, many at that church were the sort that believed God could 'change' someone from having homosexual inclinations to being 'straight', and believed this was possible in his case. Someone must have put him in touch with a place 'down south' that he could go on a 'residential' (or more than one) for counselling and prayer. So he went.

Eventually he had a girlfriend, one who knew exactly wht he had been through. I believe they meant a lot to each other. Then they split up, which AFAIK was NOT because of his 'past' homosexuality. Then he got another girlfriend, and this time they got married (I and Mrs the G. went to the wedding).

As far as I know they are still happily married. Are they 'wrong' to ever have done this? For he is the best evidence I have seen that God can change one's sexual orientation 'permanently'. (I have read about another, more 'extreme', example in 'Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire' by Jim Cymbala). If this is so, it suggests God does want to help homosexuals to stop being 'gay'.

Posts: 3322 | From: West Thriding | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is of course such a thing as bisexuality.

The whole 'ex-gay' thing is massively muddied by the growing number of 'ex-ex-gays'.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf

Ship's curiosity
# 1283

Alaric: "If this is so, it suggests God does want to help homosexuals to stop being 'gay'. "

Does it?

There is a whole range of what sexuality is - a sliding scale with completely gay and completely straight at the extremes. I think most peoples' sexuality is a lot more in the grey areas than they think .

Basically, I think God wants to help us be who we are (that's certainly been my experience, talking as an "ex-straight" ).

--------------------

Inanna

Ship's redhead
# 538

- Posted      Profile for Inanna   Email Inanna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do also believe that God can change some people who are deeply unhappy with their sexuality.

I was part of an online community debating the whole issue of Christianity and homosexuality, with the aim of "bridging the divide" and enabling good honest communication with people on both sides of the issue. (It's at Bridges Across if anyone wants to check it out)

And I met people there who claimed that God had healed them, and who had families etc to back up their evidence. And could show God at work in their lives, and told of how deeply unhappy they were with their sexuality prior to healing.

I also met people like myself for whom God's healing had taken the form of helping us to accept both our sexuality and our faith.

I don't believe we can limit God. I do believe that the former instance - the true "ex-gay" is incredibly rare, and that for many people, the ex-gay ministries have caused an awful lot more emotional damage than they were trying to heal.

And this even applies to its founders - the two men who ran the ex-gay group Courage (I /think/ it was that one) are now living together in a committed Christian partnership, and have apologised for the damage that their ministry caused.

It's a tough area. But I don't want to deny what God is doing in other people's lives. I also would like other people to respect what that same God is doing in mine, and how I am "working out my salvation with fear and trembling, knowing that it is God who is working in me."

Peace,
Kirsti

--------------------
All shall be well
And all shall be well

SteveWal
Shipmate
# 307

- Posted      Profile for SteveWal   Email SteveWal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't really want to add to the debate here, except to say how impressed I am by the way people have thought through these issues for themselves, often in very deep ways.

It's such a contrast to the "debate" on the christianity & renewal site, where there just seemed to be lots of very prejudiced people, some with rather weird obsessions!

In the end, God's love encompasses all of us in our struggles. I have my own struggles with sex and relationships, and I'm sure I've been as imperfect as the rest of us; but God loves us anyway.

Thank you everyone. Aside to Joan: I'm really happy that your mother has changed her mind. God works in mysterious ways...

Steve Waling

--------------------
If they give you lined paper to write on, write across the lines. (Russian anarchist saying)

Posts: 208 | From: Manchester | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
HoosierNan
Shipmate
# 91

- Posted      Profile for HoosierNan   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Concerning "normal": The American Psychiatric Association has put out several editions of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Psychological Disorders (known as the DSM).

In the original DSM, homosexuality was listed as a mental disorder; same in DSM-II. In DSM-III, homosexuality was a mental disorder ONLY if it was "ego-dystonic"--which means that it is a psychological disorder if one feels this way: "I'm homosexual, but I don't want to be."
In the DSM-IV, homosexual is not mentioned as a psychological disorder at all.

The changing culture makes a difference regarding the idea of what is and is not a disorder.

Posts: 795 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

yes indeed. i read this, i think, in stephen j gould, that in slavery times there was an "illness" that caused slaves to have a tendency to run away from their masters!!!!

--------------------

Canucklehead
Shipmate
# 1595

Correct me if I'm wrong but the relatively small number of homosexuals in proportion to the general populace would push them out to the far edge of the bell (normal) curve. Doesn't this by definition make them abnormal - not within the curve.
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

no, it makes them at the far end of the bell curve of normal sexual behavior. just as, for instance, the fact i'm 5'3" puts me at the far (short) end of the bell curve for height, but doesn't make me abnormal. being at the far end of the curve is just as normal as being in the middle. its just not as typical.

--------------------

Inanna

Ship's redhead
# 538

To reiterate an already-made point, but one which I think bears repeating, especially when we talk about curves, and numbers and so on....

Sexuality is not a 'duality' situation. Not "either homosexual or heterosexual". It's a continuum - in fact, several continua (if that's the correct plural form?

See Using the Klein Scale to teach about sexual orientation for more on this - people may have very different 'attractions' from 'behaviours', 'emotional preferences' to 'sexual fantasies'. (How else, for example, would you classify a gay Christian who believes that his sexual attractions to other men are wrong, and so has married, and is having sex with a woman, while fantasising about men?)

Kirsti, muddying the waters once more...

--------------------
All shall be well
And all shall be well

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

quote:
Originally posted by Karl:

The whole 'ex-gay' thing is massively muddied by the growing number of 'ex-ex-gays'.

Must... not... make... pun... about... whether or not... ex or ex-ex- or ex-ex-ex-gays... are "uncanny"...

Agh, too late. The comics fan (Marvel Comics' Uncanny X-Men) in me took over.

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

quote:
Originally posted by Inanna:
I was part of an online community debating the whole issue of Christianity and homosexuality, with the aim of "bridging the divide" and enabling good honest communication with people on both sides of the issue. (It's at Bridges Across if anyone wants to check it out)

I love BA! I'm there also, baffling and disturbing people as I do here. The question of whether I count as Side A or Side B depends on definitions...

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

PS: I don't personally define people in terms of "gay" or "straight" but I don't see it as a continuum as such either. I think much of what we do in the gay community is perfectly fine even though I don't believe in the sex part. For me it is like being a Roman citizen, and Christian, in ancient Rome -- though most Romans do, and are expected to, pour out libations to the gods, as a Christian I must not, though I am a happy and proud member of Rome. (The same goes for being in the leather community -- and lest someone think I am being salacious, if I haven't made it clear, for me "leather" (with attendant traditions, principles, philosophy, etc.) is a way of life and not some kind of "kinky thing" as such. I'm in the minority on that these days, alas, which is one reason I must keep our traditions alive, and depending on who you talk to, am either boring as heck or I go a bit too far with it. C'est la vie!)

--------------------

Russ
Old salt
# 120

- Posted      Profile for Russ   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joan the Dwarf:
we're all entitled to our own views and to have those views taken seriously, rather than told we're trying to justify something that we know in our hearts is wrong because we enjoy it.

Joan,

This struck a real chord with me.

It's not immediately obvious to me (which may be my own stupidity) whether your defence of homosexual acts amounts merely to special pleading, or whether you have a genuine philosophy of what morality is, which happens to allow that homosexual acts are morally permissible.

For example, homosexual acts have something in common with incest, cannibalism, prostitution, or necrophilia in that:
• they are morally wrong according to Christian tradition
• they're about bodies and what we do with them
• there's a strong element of public disgust which can impede rational discussion.

Is there a substantial moral difference between these and homosexual acts, or do the same moral principles permit or condemn each equally ? Do you have a consistent moral philosophy which applies the same considerations in each case ?

I suppose that I grew up with the phrase "consenting adults behind closed doors". (Meaning that if there is no sin against other people, then it's not for other people to condemn homosexual acts, or incest, or anything else. God can sort out any sin against God).

While it may be stretching a point to call this a philosophical position, it is a consistent point of view which I would be happy to apply (at least provisionally, as a starting point pending further thought) to any of these sort of "issues". (I can't say that any of them as such have actually been a big issue for me personally, but the question of what morality is is an issue for everyone).

People do try to justify something that they know in their hearts is wrong, because they enjoy it. We're human; we're like that.

I don't know how far this applies in your case, and want to give you the opportunity to demonstrate otherwise...

Russ

--------------------
Wish everyone well; the enemy is not people, the enemy is wrong ideas

Posts: 3169 | From: rural Ireland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Maestro
Apprentice
# 1881

- Posted      Profile for Maestro   Author's homepage   Email Maestro   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As I see it - the man-man, or woman-woman sexual realtionship is no more or less sinful than the one which I have with my Girlfriend. All 3 fall short of God's idea, all are sins, and all can be confessed and forgiven.

However, the bit which I do find difficult is that my Bishop won't ordain me unless I either marry my girlfriend, or end the relationship. (We're both happy with it as it is) However, he is happy to ordain practising homosexuals.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this ???

Maestro

Posts: 14 | From: Newbury, Berks UK | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Maestro:
As I see it - the man-man, or woman-woman sexual realtionship is no more or less sinful than the one which I have with my Girlfriend. All 3 fall short of God's idea, all are sins, and all can be confessed and forgiven.

However, the bit which I do find difficult is that my Bishop won't ordain me unless I either marry my girlfriend, or end the relationship. (We're both happy with it as it is) However, he is happy to ordain practising homosexuals.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this ???

Maestro

IMHO (which opinions are not all that well received on this thread) confession is not genuine unless it comes with a commitment to not comit the sin (any sin) again. To assume that forgiveness is granted when the confession does not carry with it a genuine intent to stop the sinful behaviour suggests that confession/forgiveness is more like a licence to continue to sin.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Astro
Shipmate
# 84

- Posted      Profile for Astro   Email Astro   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes repentance is more than saying sorry it is (trying) to stop sinning. So either you think not being married to your girlfriend is a sin or it is not.

If it is not then you have no need for forgiveness concerning it.
If it is a sin then repentance involves stopping living with her outside marriage.

Paul had something to say about continuing in our sins - but I have not got a bible handy.

--------------------
if you look around the world today – whether you're an atheist or a believer – and think that the greatest problem facing us is other people's theologies, you are yourself part of the problem. - Andrew Brown (The Guardian)

Posts: 2723 | From: Chiltern Hills | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf

Ship's curiosity
# 1283

quote:
Originally posted by Russ:
Joan,

This struck a real chord with me.

It's not immediately obvious to me (which may be my own stupidity) whether your defence of homosexual acts amounts merely to special pleading, or whether you have a genuine philosophy of what morality is, which happens to allow that homosexual acts are morally permissible.

Yes, I do - I'm not "special pleading". More below...

quote:

For example, homosexual acts have something in common with incest, cannibalism, prostitution, or necrophilia in that:
• they are morally wrong according to Christian tradition
• they're about bodies and what we do with them
• there's a strong element of public disgust which can impede rational discussion.

Is there a substantial moral difference between these and homosexual acts, or do the same moral principles permit or condemn each equally ? Do you have a consistent moral philosophy which applies the same considerations in each case ?

First, I'll be terribly improper and quote myself, on the first page of this thread. I don't have an algorithm for deciding what's right cos Christianity doesn't give simple answers . I said:

quote:
How do we tell what's right? The best answer I've found (I can't off the top of my head remember where) is that we have to look at what forms of life lead to an increase in holiness and Christian living and love. In terms of relationships, do they bring people closer to God and an understanding of his love? Are they a blessing to the world around them?

The difference I see between homosexuality and the other things people try and lump it with is that between two adults in a proper relationship you can have the emotional physical and spiritual bond that I (and an awful lot of theologians) believe is a God-given gift to humanity (not saying those theologians endorse homosexuality!). There is mutuality, love, and the creation of an entity that is more than the sum of its parts. This is not to say every straight or gay relationship is like that, but that this is the ideal for relationships, and it is empirically observed to be possible in straight and gay relationships.

However when we consider things like bestiality, necrophilia and paedophilia we can see very clearly that they do not have the potential to be a part of this idea of relationships. There is no mutuality, and the relationships are fundamentally self-centred and abusive. There is not the reaching out to God and one-another that characterises a Christian relationship of love. An abusive straight marriage would be similarly bad. As would an abusive gay partnership. All of them are "actions against the Kingdom": things that sin against building God's Kingdom in our lives and our world (that may seem oddly phrased, but it's something I've felt quite strongly about since September 11).

I do not believe in the principle of "what people get up to behind closed doors is their own business" if that is abusive and degrading for both parties. However I also don't agree with the idea of breaking down the doors and barging in sermonising As someone said, we've got to decide for ourselves what is sinful or not, but we have no right to impose that on other people, we have to proceed in love, understanding and openness.

A slight aside: I understand your question and that you were genuinely asking, but it could have been phrased better. Lumping homosexuality in with bestiality etc in generally a good way to upset people and raise the temperature hell-wards. Think! I don't know if you've got a partner, but imagine if someone asked you what the difference between your relationship and shagging a sheep was because they couldn't see any - wouldn't you feel a wee bit upset? Don't worry, I wasn't in this case - I think this thread has developed a thicker skin on me cos I just giggled

--------------------

Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maestro the answer to your question is commitment. The churches understanding over female male commitment is the fact that they are married means that they are committed to one another. Certainly marriage is the norm expounded in the NT.

With Homosexual and lesbian couples there is no equivalent to Marriage. the Bishop will belong to one of three camps,

1)practising homosexuals should not be ordained (the official line)

2)I don't know whether they should be ordained or not so i won't ask the question, (lot's of variations here)

3) they can be ordained i won't make a big fuss about it but I want to make certain they are in a relationship that is committed and is near to marriage as possible.

The answer to your question maestro is that in the churches opinion you are not committed to your girlfriend until you are married.
The DDO (?) will almost certainly think that your call for ordination can not be genuine since you are unwilling to jump through the hoop of being married.

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Canucklehead
Shipmate
# 1595

Joan, in your last post you made a comment that we are all to decide for ourselves what is sinful or not, which strikes me as just a bit too liberal. Does that mean that I can basically do whatever I feel like just so long as I can convince myself that it is not sinful. With somewhere in the neighbourhood of six-billion on earth we would then have approximately six-billion different opinions as to what is right or wrong. I think there has to be some kind of an absolute standard by which right and wrong can be measured, and I think the only acceptable standard can come from God via the Bible. Without an something absolute I could convince myself that rape and murder are completely acceptable, and since it is all up to us to decide for ourselves then who could say with any validity that I was wrong.
Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf

Ship's curiosity
# 1283

canucklehead - no dear, if you'd read the rest of my post then you'd see I don't say it's a free-for-all. I believe in an absolute concept of truth and morality, but I don't believe anyone has infallable access to what that is. No, not even me. The way we get closer to truth is by intelligent dialogue, discussion and listening, bringing together peoples' ideas and experiences, in the light of our traditions and understandings of our religion and God, and the special record of God contained in the Bible.

It's an interesting statement you made: "Without an something absolute I could convince myself that rape and murder are completely acceptable". That's very black-and-white: either we have a 100% sure case-iron easy-to-understand moral code, or else anything goes. There are other options - there's all the area in the middle where we're trying to get towards the absolute truth with all the resources available to us (as I've said above), and we know that we might be wrong, that we can't be sure of what we've said, but nevertheless it's all we are ever going to have to go on, and it's rational to base our moral choice on that. It's OK not to be 100% certain - it can be frightening at first not to be sure of things, but ultimatly IMHO it's necessary for our growth to relax and open ourselves to God and not imprison God, ourselves or others in our own rigidity. Not knowing everything doesn't mean that we can know nothing.

This is all very Pauline - and one of the points, IMHO, of the Incarnation and the whole New Covenant: the Old Covenant was one of strict rules, and one could say unambiguosly if something was sinful or not; in the New, humanity was taken out from the juristiction of the law (Paul) and given the Spirit behind those laws from which to work (love God and love your neighbour as yourself). This is the grown-up, frightening, empowering, disturbing, loving religion that is Christianity - it is not a set of rules that we can be safe within, it is the dynamic living out of a relationship with God letting the Spirit move in our actions, and taking risks and not being safe but being with God and within God, unbounded.

--------------------

Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah yes Moral relativism it's quite popular at the moment.

As long as what is happening between people is mutually loving then it is fine.

Unfortunately the bible does provide absolutes. The vexed question is how is this tension between society and the Churches understanding of it's identity resolved.

There are two answers
one is what the hell lets go with society

The other lets hold on to the absolutes.

To go for the middle ground which is what most people here seem to go for is tricky if not impossible.

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf

Ship's curiosity
# 1283

Nightlamp: in re: the middle ground between absolutism and moral relativism, see above

It's not an impossible place. IMHO it's the place as Christian's we're called to be. It ain't easy - absolutism and moral relativism are both the easy options, at the two extremes. As I've said many many times, IMHO truth lies in between, if we have the courage to abandon the safety of the edges to go there, trusting in God rather than ourselves.

--------------------

Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf

Ship's curiosity
# 1283

Sorry, double post...

Nightlamp, is the statement "As long as what is happening between people is mutually loving then it is fine. " your parse of my 19.51 post?? If it is, do read it again, hon, that ain't what I'm saying, there's a wee bit more to it than that!

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  92  93  94 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016