homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Dead Horses   » Homosexuality and Christianity (Page 59)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  56  57  58  59  60  61  62  ...  92  93  94 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Homosexuality and Christianity
Alliebath
Shipmate
# 10547

- Posted      Profile for Alliebath   Email Alliebath   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
We had a really interesting, and moving, thread about "intersex" some time back. Which I kick myself for not saving whenever this comes back; partly because I am completely unable to re-express some of the really important views and comments which others produced on that thread.

I think the evidence for testosterone priming of brain in utero is not fabulous.... something clearly does go on in terms of brain development etc., but I think it's more complex.

But there is not one factor, and a default state.

There are three key biological factors; the Y chromosome, testosterone, and Mullerian Inhibiting Factor (I am probably using an out of date term, or mangling what was an out of date term.... Ken or someone else may be along to correct me). It is true that if testosterone is lacking, or the receptors lacking, the appearance is quite female at birth. And similarly, that if there is extra testosterone despite XX, the appearance can be more male.

However, these things are not absolutes (as you indicate above) and quite complicated situations can arise.....

But either way, I don't think the Genesis story really contradicts that. I must admit to not being entirely sure what the rib buisiness really means..... but I certainly don't think it was a comment on sex steroid differentiation.

Thank you, Mdijon.

I am not trying to present a bi-polar justification, although I think I may have managed to do so. I am working from a linguistic-theological background and not a scientific-medical one.

In plain English, I am trying to say that the seemingly bi-polar Genesis account, counld equally be understood as a definition of a spectrum: “(from ) male and (to) female”. This is underlined by the use of the Hebrew word Human (adam) rather than the word ish which is man/he-gendered. The ltter only comes when Human is differentiated between female and male—by the making of ‘Eve’, the female is actually defined as a gender first.

--------------------
I regard golf
as an expensive way
of playing marbles

G. K. Chesterton

Posts: 77 | From: Far, far west of Eden | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Incipit
Shipmate
# 10554

- Posted      Profile for Incipit   Email Incipit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Wanderer:
Slight tangent here, but within the overall remit of this thread. I've just watched QI on BBC2, a light hearted quiz show.

Stephen Fry asked: Which sect did Nero blame for the burning of Rome?

Alan Davies: Was it the gays? (much laughter)

Fry: Funny you should say that; this group is often regarded as the natural enemy of gays.

The answer of course was the Christians. Now I know it's only a silly quiz, but I find it rather sad that Christianity can be regarded as the "enemy" of homosexuals even in jest.

Also see the cartoon by Steve Bell in yesterday's 'Guardian' newspaper (UK), showing a service taking place in a church. The church's signboard reads: 'Church of Jesus Christ Homophobe'. Inside, the priest is invoking the Lord in front of a packed (and all-white) congregation: 'In these times of tribulation, Lord! Help us stem the rising tide of gay abortionist p*iss-takers! Show us the way, Lord - send us a sign!!' Outside, on the church steps, a bird (presumed to be coming down with avian 'flu) sneezes.

It's funny because it's so acute. The unintentionally cruel drivel spoken by the Baptist minister (see a few posts up)and the Pope supports this perception. Patronising unguents ('we are all sinners..'; 'love the sinner [the gay person] but hate the sin') compound the offence. I hope that this version of Christianity will continue to be exposed as the nasty, fear-driven disorder that it is.

Alliebath
Shipmate
# 10547

- Posted      Profile for Alliebath   Email Alliebath   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Incipit, I missed that yesterday.

I like ‘If’.

--------------------
I regard golf
as an expensive way
of playing marbles

G. K. Chesterton

Posts: 77 | From: Far, far west of Eden | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
scoticanus
Shipmate
# 5140

- Posted      Profile for scoticanus         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Slight tangent here, but within the overall remit of this thread. I've just watched QI on BBC2, a light hearted quiz show.

Stephen Fry asked: Which sect did Nero blame for the burning of Rome?

Alan Davies: Was it the gays? (much laughter)

Fry: Funny you should say that; this group is often regarded as the natural enemy of gays.

The answer of course was the Christians. Now I know it's only a silly quiz, but I find it rather sad that Christianity can be regarded as the "enemy" of homosexuals even in jest.

I hope ++Caiaphas Cantuar: was watching.
Posts: 491 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by scoticanus:

And I rather hope you get off your snooty high dead horse about Rowan Williams.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
scoticanus
Shipmate
# 5140

- Posted      Profile for scoticanus         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:

Are you a fan?
scoticanus
Shipmate
# 5140

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:

As regards ++Rowan, I think he's caught rather well in Browning's lines:

quote:
The Lost Leader
Robert Browning (1812–89)

JUST for a handful of silver he left us,
Just for a ribbon to stick in his coat—
Found the one gift of which fortune bereft us,
Lost all the others she lets us devote;
They, with the gold to give, dol’d him out silver,
So much was theirs who so little allow’d;
How all our copper had gone for his service!
Rags—were they purple, his heart had been proud!
We that had lov’d him so, follow’d him, honour’d him,
Liv’d in his mild and magnificent eye,
Learn’d his great language, caught his clear accents,
Made him our pattern to live and to die!
Shakespeare was of us, Milton was for us,
Burns, Shelley, were with us,—they watch from their graves!
He alone breaks from the van and the freemen,
He alone sinks to the rear and the slaves!

We shall march prospering,—not thro’ his presence;
Songs may inspirit us,—not from his lyre;
Deeds will be done,—while he boasts his quiescence,
Still bidding crouch whom the rest bade aspire.
Blot out his name, then, record one lost soul more,
One task more declin’d, one more foot-path untrod,
One more devil’s-triumph and sorrow for angels,
One wrong more to man, one more insult to God!
Life’s night begins: let him never come back to us!
There would be doubt, hesitation, and pain,
Forced praise on our part—the glimmer of twilight,
Never glad confident morning again!
Best fight on well, for we taught him—strike gallantly,
Menace our heart ere we master his own;
Then let him receive the new knowledge and wait us,
Pardon’d in heaven, the first by the throne!

I sent ++Rowan a copy of the poem after he betrayed Jeffrey John, together with a cheque for £30, which seemed an appropriate sum. He neither replied nor cashed the cheque, but I didn't really expect him to.

All things considered, I'd prefer to see even ++Peter Akinola as Archbishop of Canterbury rather than ++Rowan.

At least ++Peter Akinola strikes me as an honest man.

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Scoticanus I think your attitude to ++ Rowan stinks. Has he messed up at times - yes, of course. Is he a decent and spiritual man, striving to do his best for the Church he has been called to serve - yes, of course.

The action you describe sounds petty and vindictive to me. Have I ever done petty and vindictive things - I'm afraid the answer is yes once again. But I've never boasted about them in public.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It strikes me that if +Rowan has a fault it is that he is inherently decent and high-minded. He'd be a much better Archbishop (if probably a worse person) if he had a nasty streak about his person.

Incidentally, it is stupid to compare him to Caiaphas. Caiaphas was out to get our Lord from the beginning which hardly characterises +Rowan's attitude to Jeffrey John. I think he should have told the bigots to go and pleasure themselves with a syphilitic goat rather than caving in (see my comments above) but if anyone in the Church of England should be compared to Caiaphas it is the whited sephulcres who signed that bloody letter. Save your ire for those who really deserve it.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well said, Callan.

Rowan needs our prayers every day.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
scoticanus
Shipmate
# 5140

I think ++Rowan is a disgrace to his office, and if he had any conscience or integrity he would have resigned before now.

Caiaphas said, if you recall, "It is expedient that one man should die for the people."

So did ++Rowan, and that man was Jeffrey John.

scoticanus
Shipmate
# 5140

quote:
Originally posted by Callan:
Caiaphas was out to get our Lord from the beginning which hardly characterises +Rowan's attitude to Jeffrey John. I think he should have told the bigots to go and pleasure themselves with a syphilitic goat rather than caving in (see my comments above) but if anyone in the Church of England should be compared to Caiaphas it is the whited sephulcres who signed that bloody letter. Save your ire for those who really deserve it.

The "whited sepulchres", as you call them, I disagree with profoundly; but at least they have sincere convictions and they stand by them. I respect them for this.

I have no respect for ++Rowan, who cynically betrayed his beliefs and betrayed his friend at a hint of pressure. His conduct disgusted me and disgusts me still. I don't know how he has the effrontery to preach or to say Mass.

scoticanus
Shipmate
# 5140

quote:
The action you describe sounds petty and vindictive to me. Have I ever done petty and vindictive things - I'm afraid the answer is yes once again. But I've never boasted about them in public.

I would do anything to get this bad and traitorous man to resign his office. He is a disgrace to the church and to the Gospel.

I respect those with sincere convictions, even if I deeply disagree with them.

I don't respect a cynical and devious man who climbs to the throne of St Augustine while kicking aside those he once flattered and sought to ingratiate himself with, but then betrayed the moment it paid him to do so.

Give me ++Akinola any day. At least he has integrity.

TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ahem .... we seemed to have strayed into a tangent.

Please take discussions on ++ Rowan elsewhere, starting a new thread if necessary.

Thank you

Yours aye ... TonyK
Host, Dead Horses

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think ++Rowan is a disgrace to his office, and if he had any conscience or integrity he would have resigned before now.

Caiaphas said, if you recall, "It is expedient that one man should die for the people."

So did ++Rowan, and that man was Jeffrey John.

It is true that Rowan puts 'unity' before 'truth' but then goes on to say that it is not as simple as that. The plain fact is that scripture and tradition have been against homosexual 'acts' for the past 2 thousand years and more and, in his role as bishop, Rowan stands for that tradition, like a chairperson who usest their casting vote for the status quo. As a theologian, Rowan has other opinions, but he sees his role as a bishop in very catholic terms.

I happen to believe that homosexual 'acts' are as blessed by God as heterosexual ones. However, I also believe that Rowen is being torn apart internally buy trying to hold the Anlican Communion together. He is a man of great integrity and that's why he needs out prayers (mind you, if he were not a man of integrity, he would need even more prayers!).

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Host Mode <ACTIVATE>

Leo - please read my post immediately prior to your last post (and seperated by 41 minutes - so it is unlikely that you were composing yours while I was posting mine!).

You have been a shipmate long enough to know that when a host says 'no' he means 'no'.

No further warnings.

Host Mode <DEACTIVATE>

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

Sorry. I was reading down the page so posted reaction to a post further up before coming to your post.

--------------------

badman
Shipmate
# 9634

- Posted      Profile for badman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I couldn't find a reference on this thread to Considerations Regarding Proposals to Give Legal Recognition to Unions Between Homosexual Persons from the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (i.e. Card. Ratzinger, now Pope) in June 2003.

It is remarkably thin. Little more than a constant assertion of that which is to be proved, i.e. petitio principii.

Some of it is truly startling: e.g. (quoting the Catechism), homosexual acts "do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity". Why not? Because they are wrong. Why are they wrong? Because they do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. And so forth.

Similarly, gay marriage is not possible because marriage has to be between opposite sexes. Why? Because otherwise it is not marriage. "Laws in favour of homosexual unions are contrary to right reason because they confer legal guarantees, analogous to those granted to marriage, to unions between persons of the same sex." Round and round it goes.

What is interesting about this document is that it tries, in part, to find arguments for its position "from reason" as well as from scripture and yet the only argument seems to be that marriage must be open to procreation. Nothing is said about marriages between infertile couples (including those beyond childbearing age). So far as the possibility of children in a gay partnership is concerned, "The possibility of using recently discovered methods of artificial reproduction, beyond involving a grave lack of respect for human dignity, does nothing to alter this inadequacy." No further reasoning is offered.

I am genuinely surprised that this is the best that they could do.

Posts: 429 | From: Diocese of Guildford | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
kiwimac
Apprentice
# 10733

- Posted      Profile for kiwimac   Author's homepage   Email kiwimac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Friend,

Bigotry requires nothing more that its hatred be affirmed, it matters not how circular the reasoning nor how specious.

Kiwimac

--------------------
I stand at the altar of murdered men and while I live I fight their cause. Florence Nightingale

Posts: 22 | From: Deepest Darkest NZ | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dinghy Sailor

Ship's Jibsheet
# 8507

- Posted      Profile for Dinghy Sailor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Skippy01 I saw your post in kerrygmania, so here is a Christian response to some of your points:

b)I do know of someone in my church who used to be gay, but is now straight (so far, after several years, anyway). They are a Christian, and they prayed about it. As far as I know it, the bible's teaching is that though homosexual sex is wrong, as you say, there's nothing you can often do about the feelings, so they're not wrong. One fundamental part of Christianity is that temptation is not sin. Just because you want to do something, doesn't mean you should do it. Carrying on wanting to is not sinful, though. If you remain gay but believe gay sex is wrong, you'll just have to remain celibate for the rest of your life. It's tough, I know, but there are plenty of people who are born with very tough lives ahead of them. Those in the two-thirds world, anyone with a major physical or mental disability, orphans, the list goes on.

c)Re: Homophobia, people getting beaten up etc - These things are disgusting and wrong, go against the teachings of Jesus and I would like to distance myself utterly from them. Note that 'homophobia' does not mean 'thinking being gay is wrong' but actually disliking gay people more, and, well, hating them, discriminating agains them, beating them up and stuff. I believe homosexual sex is wrong because the bible tells me so. But then, I believe lying is wrong, and I've told plenty of lies in my life. It's something completely different from homophobia. True Christianity (ie not distorted by sin) does has nothing to do with beating up gay people.

e)That quote probably meant to ignore the fact they've got a problem with one particular sort of sin, and see them as a child of God, a valuable person who He loves, like everyone else. It was telling people to treat them the same as everyone else! It was saying that there are much more important things than whether someone is straight/gay, just as there are much more important thigs than whether they are black/white. Without being rude, I'd like to suggest that you've missed the point of this statement.

--------------------
Preach Christ, because this old humanity has used up all hopes and expectations, but in Christ hope lives and remains.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ummm ... dinghy sailor, I think the presence of a 59-page thread ought to indicate that there is more than one 'Christian response' to skippy01's post.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For skippy01

If you've had the patience to wend your way through this huge thread, you've probably seen a lot of diversity already. I Googled a bit and came up with this interesting dialogue (some 9 years old now) between a husband and wife, both evangelicals, who differ on the subject. It seemed to me to be quite a good taster about the way in which the issue divides people - and the whys.

The Campolos in Discussion

Mrs C's understanding is pretty close to mine. I also find Archbishop Desmond Tutu to be good on the subject. It might also help you to look at the controversies over Eugene Robinson and Jeffrey John. Don't fall for the notion that Christians of a particular persuasion all have the same views about this. It is both a diverse and a dynamic picture.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
FreeJack
Shipmate
# 10612

- Posted      Profile for FreeJack   Email FreeJack   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
Ummm ... dinghy sailor, I think the presence of a 59-page thread ought to indicate that there is more than one 'Christian response' to skippy01's post.

I think a 59 page thread tells me that there is only one "Christian response" but we are having problems deciding what that should actually be.
Dinghy Sailor

Ship's Jibsheet
# 8507

- Posted      Profile for Dinghy Sailor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a difference between, "a Christian response" and "a response some Christians make".

--------------------
Preach Christ, because this old humanity has used up all hopes and expectations, but in Christ hope lives and remains.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

- Posted      Profile for Teufelchen   Email Teufelchen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dinghy sailor:
There's a difference between, "a Christian response" and "a response some Christians make".

Right. But you classified your answer as the former, when in fact it is the latter.

T.

--------------------
Little devil

Posts: 3894 | From: London area | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dinghy Sailor

Ship's Jibsheet
# 8507

But I think it's the former. I'm not one of those funny people who think I'm wrong.

--------------------
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

- Posted      Profile for Teufelchen   Email Teufelchen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dinghy sailor, do you really believe that among truly faithful Christians, no difference of opinion is possible on this subject? Do you really believe that your response is properly Christian in a way which a differing response by another faithful Christian would not be?

T.

--------------------
Little devil

Posts: 3894 | From: London area | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Jonathan the Free:

quote:
I think a 59 page thread tells me that there is only one "Christian response" but we are having problems deciding what that should actually be.
Really? I disagree profoundly with Leprechaun (for example) on this issue but I would hesitate to characterise his response as unChristian. I find it somewhat disconcerting that so many Christians want to unchurch one another over this issue. It seems that we can disagree about all kinds of moral and theological issues and still cope with living with one another. Homosexuality appears to be the exception. Perhaps we ought to spend the next 59 pages attempting to work out why.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Dinghy Sailor

Ship's Jibsheet
# 8507

Teufelchen: Yep. Let me add that I agree with what Callan's said. I'm happy to disagree with people and still get on with them. We see through a glass darkly. However, the Christian response is God's response. If he allows something, those who don't are wrong, and if he doesn't, then those who do are wrong. It's called objective truth.

--------------------
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Re: Homophobia, people getting beaten up etc - These things are disgusting and wrong, go against the teachings of Jesus and I would like to distance myself utterly from them. Note that 'homophobia' does not mean 'thinking being gay is wrong' but actually disliking gay people more, and, well, hating them, discriminating agains them, beating them up and stuff.

But 'thinking gays are wrong' is what LEADS TO homophobic acts of violence - sort of hate the sin so you hate the sinner as well. (or, more deeply, hate that segment of one's own mixed-up, split off sexuality by transferrng on to an 'other' and then beating the shit out of them.

--------------------

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is that knowable though?

[ETA - reply to dinghy sailor]

[ 08. December 2005, 15:43: Message edited by: Matt Black ]

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dinghy Sailor

Ship's Jibsheet
# 8507

Leo: I hope I don't hate anyone. If hating the sinner was an inevitable consequence of hating the sin, I'd hate everyone. Because democracy may or may not lead to really unscrupulous businessmen exploiting workers, does that mean democracy's wrong in itself?

--------------------
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

Homophobia has been defined as 'irrational hatred of....' and seems to be different in quality from general hatred, as is racism. Homophobia seems to go very deep, especially in 'straight' males.

--------------------

FreeJack
Shipmate
# 10612

- Posted      Profile for FreeJack   Email FreeJack   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What I mean is that at the end of the day, either God thinks homosexual acts are sinful or He doesn't, or even that sometimes He does and sometimes He doesn't. This side of eternity we won't know for sure. I am sure there will be heaven from all sides of the argument now, but we can't all be right.
Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

- Posted      Profile for Divine Outlaw   Author's homepage   Email Divine Outlaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Teufelchen: Yep. Let me add that I agree with what Callan's said. I'm happy to disagree with people and still get on with them. We see through a glass darkly. However, the Christian response is God's response. If he allows something, those who don't are wrong, and if he doesn't, then those who do are wrong. It's called objective truth.

Well no its not, its called divine command ethics. It is perfectly possible to hold that there is 'objective truth' about ethics without holding that the source of that truth is God's command. I hold, for example, that ethics is about being a good human being, and that God could no more decree that murder or gluttony made for being a good human being than God could create a square circle. From my perspective if you want to maintain that homosexual acts are wrong then you have to show how they are, or could be, inimical to human flourishing. Saying 'God says no' doesn't seem to be an adqequate answer to those people who experience gay relationships as being good for them. People can be mislead about their own experiences, of course, but I think you need to show why these particular people are, if they are.

--------------------
insert amusing sig. here

Dinghy Sailor

Ship's Jibsheet
# 8507

DOD, I do mean objective truth, not divine command. You see, as a Christian, I seek to follow what God says. Finding out what He says is where the objective truth comes in.

As for the divine command stuff, was the apple that Eve ate poisonous? Does society as a whole nowadays generally see as beneficial things that wouldn't be dreamt of by very bad people five hundered years ago, and vice versa? "God forbids it but I don't see it as wrong so I'll do it" is an argument that is based on the currently fashionable perception of wrong.

--------------------
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Spawn
Shipmate
# 4867

- Posted      Profile for Spawn   Email Spawn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Really? I disagree profoundly with Leprechaun (for example) on this issue but I would hesitate to characterise his response as unChristian. I find it somewhat disconcerting that so many Christians want to unchurch one another over this issue. It seems that we can disagree about all kinds of moral and theological issues and still cope with living with one another. Homosexuality appears to be the exception. Perhaps we ought to spend the next 59 pages attempting to work out why.

Okay, here's a stab at part of that question. While I disagree with you as profoundly as you do with Leprechaun I don't wish to 'unchurch' you. Your viewpoint on this particular matter is profoundly un-Christian, in my opinion, however, I daresay some of my opinions are as well. I can imagine circumstances when it would be difficult for me to accept a priest's ministry, if for example, they were engaged repeatedly, unrepentantly and publicly in something sinful, or they were teaching something contrary to what it is evident the Church has always held to be true. That is not because the ministry of that priest is made invalid, but because I cannot in all conscience support that ministry.

I can however live in a comprehensive Church where there are a variety of viewpoints and a decision-making process open to all the orders and the laity, as well. What I cannot support is the decision-making process being subverted by placing facts on the ground, or making local or diocesan decisions in defiance of agreed teaching. I cannot support it from either the conservative or liberal standpoints. I would equally, for example, have a problem with the Diocese of Sydney if it went ahead with lay celebration, as I do with ECUSA and the diocese of New Hampshire. I cannot support, the irregular ordinations in Southwark, despite having some sympathy for them. However, I would be happy to support 'civil disobedience' in a diocese where the Bishop had clearly broken unity with the Church, by rejecting one or other aspect of its teaching. The scale of the civil disobedience would depend on the gravity of the situation.

I say this simply to outline the fact, that I and many others do not wish to unchurch you, but where there is major disagreement and action is taken against the widely accepted teaching of the Church, there will be consequences for our fellowship with each other.

Posts: 3447 | From: North Devon | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spawn:
What I cannot support is the decision-making process being subverted by placing facts on the ground,

But in the hard real world -- and that includes the church -- the nasty truth is that almost all change is the result of those who "place facts on the ground" and either succeed or fail in maintaining their position. "Organic growth" if I can use that metophor, is beloved of those who rightly want to go slow -- but most of this growth arises not by a simple exrapolaton from what is known, but in response to challenge. Now I am not saying all challengers are right, but even if they fail, they have an impact.

We have women priests because of "facts placed on the ground" in those irregular, non-canonical, disobedient ordinations of women in the US over 20 years ago. There was no theological change immediately before or after -- it was the act of ordaining outside the system in the ECUSA that produced the ordination of women in Canada and enough other countries that when it came to Lambeth, it was acceptable. That simply would not have happened if the church as a whole had waited for ...what exactly, as a sign to proceed with a move that had been a theological commonplace for years.

Now if one opposes the ordination of women, one can with a clear conscience lament this as yet another example of the subversion of the truth by people "placing facts on the ground"; if one supports it, one can be thankful to those who acted prophetically and, like most prophets, acted outside the accepted rules to proclaim God's truth and bring us closer to the Kingdom.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spawn
Shipmate
# 4867

- Posted      Profile for Spawn   Email Spawn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
Now if one opposes the ordination of women, one can with a clear conscience lament this as yet another example of the subversion of the truth by people "placing facts on the ground"; if one supports it, one can be thankful to those who acted prophetically and, like most prophets, acted outside the accepted rules to proclaim God's truth and bring us closer to the Kingdom.

John

I support the ordination of women, and can with a clear conscience believe that the Philadelphia ordinations were wrong. The ministry of women would have advanced without those illegal ordinations - in fact the very fact they took place broke down trust irrevocably between some Episcopalians and ECUSA. I think that is to be regretted greatly.
Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

- Posted      Profile for Divine Outlaw   Author's homepage   Email Divine Outlaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
DOD, I do mean objective truth, not divine command. You see, as a Christian, I seek to follow what God says. Finding out what He says is where the objective truth comes in.

As a Christian, likewise, I think there are all sorts of objective truths which are not divine commands (except in the sense that God causes everything to be). We do not talk of scientific facts or historical data as being 'divine commands'. I take ethical norms to belong to this type of truths - they are true in as much as they refer to what is good for human beings.

I do not think that anyone called Eve ever ate an apple [sic, you may wish to re-read Genesis] in the scenario you desribe. I find myself, therefore, unable to answer your second point. If you are making the point that we sometimes do not know what is good for us then I agree with that, and made that very same point in my previous post.

--------------------
insert amusing sig. here

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
But 'thinking gays are wrong' is what LEADS TO homophobic acts of violence - sort of hate the sin so you hate the sinner as well. (or, more deeply, hate that segment of one's own mixed-up, split off sexuality by transferrng on to an 'other' and then beating the shit out of them.

The two often go together.... but are you really saying anyone who thinks homosexuality is wrong is on the way to being, or already homophobic?

Can one not think that alcoholism is wrong without hating alcoholics? Or that gambling is wrong without hating gamblers?

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

Originally posted by Spawn:

quote:
Okay, here's a stab at part of that question. While I disagree with you as profoundly as you do with Leprechaun I don't wish to 'unchurch' you. Your viewpoint on this particular matter is profoundly un-Christian, in my opinion, however, I daresay some of my opinions are as well. I can imagine circumstances when it would be difficult for me to accept a priest's ministry, if for example, they were engaged repeatedly, unrepentantly and publicly in something sinful, or they were teaching something contrary to what it is evident the Church has always held to be true. That is not because the ministry of that priest is made invalid, but because I cannot in all conscience support that ministry.
Just out of interest, to take a purely random example, would your attitude be to a clergyman who in the one sermon he has ever preached on the subject stated the current Church's teaching whilst making it clear that, in conscience, he dissented from said teaching?

quote:
I can however live in a comprehensive Church where there are a variety of viewpoints and a decision-making process open to all the orders and the laity, as well. What I cannot support is the decision-making process being subverted by placing facts on the ground, or making local or diocesan decisions in defiance of agreed teaching. I cannot support it from either the conservative or liberal standpoints. I would equally, for example, have a problem with the Diocese of Sydney if it went ahead with lay celebration, as I do with ECUSA and the diocese of New Hampshire. I cannot support, the irregular ordinations in Southwark, despite having some sympathy for them. However, I would be happy to support 'civil disobedience' in a diocese where the Bishop had clearly broken unity with the Church, by rejecting one or other aspect of its teaching. The scale of the civil disobedience would depend on the gravity of the situation.
I can sympathise with this up to a point. I think the problem is that I cannot solemnly undertake not to change the facts on the ground because I am one of them. There has been a small but definite shift in opinion in my church since I have been there. I don't claim the credit for this, indeed some of the reasons are obscure to me, but it seems reasonable to assume that I have been part of the process. Being relatively open about my views has, perhaps, emboldened others to speak more freely. Someone has joined the congregation after I conducted the funeral of his partner. Nothing great in the scheme of things - I don't propose to organise a mass gay wedding at Old Trafford, a la Reverend Moon, to be conducted by Gene Robinson - but a small but tangible change nonetheless. Dripping water wears away a stone, and all that. And the thing is, none of this was planned, I didn't turn up defiantly announcing that I was the only liberal in the village. Multiply this sort of effect across parishes and across time and, well, you get the picture. In time, I suspect that this sort of thing is more influential in effecting long term change than a controversial sermon here or a gay bishop there.

--------------------

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

And that was my 4000th post. 3728 of them on this thread. [Biased]

--------------------

Spawn
Shipmate
# 4867

quote:
Just out of interest, to take a purely random example, would your attitude be to a clergyman who in the one sermon he has ever preached on the subject stated the current Church's teaching whilst making it clear that, in conscience, he dissented from said teaching?

I don't believe we should be acting like the thought police here. There's a tradition of a certain freedom of conscience within Anglicanism, which I respect. Persistent defiance, and a programme of undermining the church's teaching on this, for example, or other matters would cause me firstly, to complain to the priest, secondly to his/her superiors and to withdraw my support. By the same token, I wouldn't be comfortable in certain evangelical churches where there is a wilful disregard for the Church of England's authorised liturgy, for example.

quote:
I can sympathise with this up to a point. I think the problem is that I cannot solemnly undertake not to change the facts on the ground because I am one of them. There has been a small but definite shift in opinion in my church since I have been there. I don't claim the credit for this, indeed some of the reasons are obscure to me, but it seems reasonable to assume that I have been part of the process. Being relatively open about my views has, perhaps, emboldened others to speak more freely. Someone has joined the congregation after I conducted the funeral of his partner. Nothing great in the scheme of things - I don't propose to organise a mass gay wedding at Old Trafford, a la Reverend Moon, to be conducted by Gene Robinson - but a small but tangible change nonetheless. Dripping water wears away a stone, and all that. And the thing is, none of this was planned, I didn't turn up defiantly announcing that I was the only liberal in the village. Multiply this sort of effect across parishes and across time and, well, you get the picture. In time, I suspect that this sort of thing is more influential in effecting long term change than a controversial sermon here or a gay bishop there.
We can both be glad that I'm not one of your parishioners. [Biased]
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
quote:

The two often go together.... but are you really saying anyone who thinks homosexuality is wrong is on the way to being, or already homophobic?

Can one not think that alcoholism is wrong without hating alcoholics? Or that gambling is wrong without hating gamblers?

Yes I am. To quote http://www.religioustolerance.org/hom_fuel1.htm

many conservative religious folk are distressed when the term is used to define their beliefs and actions....many conservative religious folk are distressed when the term is used to define their beliefs and actions.....Some people with low self-esteem appear to need to identify some minority that they can hate and feel superior to. Over the past 50 years, African-Americans, Communists and now gays and lesbians have fulfilled this role in sequence. If their religious faith supports bigotry against that minority, then they are given additional justification for their hatred. Many churches teach that one must love the homosexual while hating the homosexuality; this message is sometimes lost on the membership; they end up hating both the homosexual and the homosexuality.....A study at the University of Georgia showed that most men, who the researchers defined as homophobic, experienced significant sexual arousal when watching a homosexual movie involving sex between two men.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

I meant to add that there is some research to the effect that every time a church leader makes a homophobic statement e.g. Archbishop Akinola of Nigeria or the Pope's outrageous document on seminarians there is a marked increase of documented homophobic hate crimes.

--------------------

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On a different note, I gather there has been a meeting of the homosexual Christians of Nigeria sometime in the last couple of weeks. This is not my news, but second hand (and from a biased source) but I gather that at least one bishop when told about the meeting reacted in such a way it was clear he was unaware that there were gay Christian Nigerians.

Oh well.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

Yes, it was a meeting of 'Nigerian Changing Attitudes' and the attendees were very brave. Akinola has told his clergy to root out all homosexuals from their churches.

--------------------

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

Originally posted by John Holding:

quote:
On a different note, I gather there has been a meeting of the homosexual Christians of Nigeria sometime in the last couple of weeks. This is not my news, but second hand (and from a biased source) but I gather that at least one bishop when told about the meeting reacted in such a way it was clear he was unaware that there were gay Christian Nigerians.
Certainly a number of African Bishops (including, I think, Akinola) at Lambeth '98 expressed the opinion that homosexuality was an exclusively white problem and didn't exist in Africa. One Bishop rather smugly observed that in his country homosexuals were locked up.

I can't be bothered verifying who said what - checking up the expressed opinions of the self proclaimed Global South on homosexuals is like flipping through back issues of Der Sturmer for useful insights into Jewish-Christian relations (one might even characterise them as unChristian) - but I wouldn't be remotely surprised if the Bishop concerned had been in both camps, as it were.

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
.....A study at the University of Georgia showed that most men, who the researchers defined as homophobic, experienced significant sexual arousal when watching a homosexual movie involving sex between two men.

Oh well, that proves it then.

So would you also accept my further analogy, that anyone who thinks alcoholism is wrong hates alcoholics?

I can see how one might argue that in practice, many, some, or a given proportion of those who believe homosexuality is wrong are homophobic. I just don't see how you can maintain it is intellectually impossible to believe homosexual acts are wrong without being homophobic. Surely someone in the world must be able to manage it?

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  56  57  58  59  60  61  62  ...  92  93  94 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016