homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Dead Horses   » Homosexuality and Christianity (Page 75)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  72  73  74  75  76  77  78  ...  92  93  94 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Homosexuality and Christianity
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Merlin you're muddying the waters unnecessarily. Children are not able to knowingly consent to sexual acts. Normally-functioning adults are. It doesn't really take a whole plethora of "different moralities." It really boils down to:

1. Let consenting adults choose what to do;
2. Try to enforce your religion on people who are not members of your religion.

I think #2 is far more sinful than anything under the sheets that #1 might lead to.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
MerlintheMad
Shipmate
# 12279

- Posted      Profile for MerlintheMad         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:
Originally posted by MerlintheMad:
I am not suggesting anything weird here (except maybe to a Christian fundie).

Yes you are. You are suggesting that sexual attraction is controlled in some way "for the good of the species". That's nothing to do with fundamentalism one way or the other.
And you are suggesting by your objection, that our species is NOT controlled by the evolutionary developments that account for our gregarious civilizations. Sex is developed (evolved) in our species so that we will increase in numbers with greater facility. So how can you dismiss a theory that we have built-in group sexuality that responds to varying conditions? It is observed in various animals, e.g. mice, that over population imperatives increase the amount of bisexual incidence. Mice, it happens, have males which constantly produce sperm, like human males do; and they will hump anything that moves, but especially when their environment is over populated.
MerlintheMad
Shipmate
# 12279

- Posted      Profile for MerlintheMad         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by OliviaG:

......snip

So there it is, Merlin. Pretty much everything you have said in this forum about queer sexuality is contrary to what I have been told over the years, by many, many queer people and by professionals and educators. The claims you are making seem as absurd as me telling you the temple in Salt Lake is orange and has a bar in the northeast corner. OliviaG

That's a good post. Very concise. Thanks.

I don't see my views that far out there. That's because in my mind, all of this is very much undetermined by ANYONE. We all have our own experiences, especially where we live. The collected aggragate of them would point to something like accuracy, but how do we make it organized and scientific? A collection of anecdotes isn't going anywhere.

When I said homosexuals are "made", I was referring to them IF the theory that babies are born bisexual is true in the high 90th percentile. I am aware that the skuttlebutt these days refutes the glib heterosexual (Judeo-Christian) caveat, that homosexuals are just trying to justify their "sin." My own church has a "Proclamation on the Family", which positively denies any such claim that homosexuals are naturally born that way: it states that gender is ordained of God. And the LDS Social services program tries to rehabilitate homosexuals by getting them to renounce all such friendships and marry heterosexually as part of their "repentance process." As far as I have heard, such programs ultimately end in failure to a greater or lesser degree: and a lot of misery for the homosexual living in what to him/her is an alien environment.

The observation on lesbians tending to sleep with men (if at all, of course) during their fertile periods, was, as far as my friend can recall, part of an NPR program a couple of weeks back. For what that's worth. ("turkey baster", ::snerk:: [Snigger] )

Do I really have to cite the animal studies? Is this in doubt? I am making no claims on the application, as yet, to human beings. As far as I have heard up to this point, no conclusions have been made. This is all very on-going. And no, heavy populations in various parts of the globe won't necessarily "trigger" such an increase in bisexual behavior (I prefer to call it that, rather than homosexual behavior, as I did earlier: I think bisexual is more accurate: mice, humping anything that moves, are not homosexual mice, because the next time it is a female, then a male again: bisexual.) But a perceived world over population could. That's the theory anyway.

I don't know how else you would define bisexual, than as a willingness to have sex with either gender. Frequency of sex, and changing partner genders, would be a scale establishing thing, but would not change the definition.

Btw, the Salt Lake temple IS orange during violent sunsets. And although there isn't a bar (that I know of [Biased] ) in the basement: the former Hotel Utah (now the Joseph Smith memorial building) used to have a bar in the basement: it was put there to help pay for the construction costs.

MerlintheMad
Shipmate
# 12279

quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
quote:
"marriage" of same-sex couples is not recognized as legally binding.

Oh yes marriage is. No quotes needed -- it's the real thing in content and name -- to get out of it, you have to get divorced. Here in Canada, in Spain, in a couple of other countries. And the status without the name is recognized in the UK and a bunch of other countries as well.

Not in the US -- oops, forgot Massachusetts (?) -- but that's rather different, at least on an international board.

John

The quotes around "marriage" are because to fundie Judeo-Christian (conservative) types, marriage means ONLY a man and a woman, period. Now you can have polygany, and polyandry, and that doesn't change the historical meaning of marriage. They do NOT want that meaning diluted; thus the push (counter push) to retain that word ONLY for men and women being married. Something like "civil union" would be acceptable to them, if ever same-sex couples get their "marriages" (to them) legally recognized.
MerlintheMad
Shipmate
# 12279

quote:
Originally posted by MouseThief:
Merlin you're muddying the waters unnecessarily. Children are not able to knowingly consent to sexual acts. Normally-functioning adults are. It doesn't really take a whole plethora of "different moralities." It really boils down to:

1. Let consenting adults choose what to do;
2. Try to enforce your religion on people who are not members of your religion.

I think #2 is far more sinful than anything under the sheets that #1 might lead to.

Hey, it isn't me that muddies them-thar waters. It's the historical precedents, and the current world's many places where child prostitution is condoned.

As I said to another tonight, be prepared to defend your brand of morality, if this Pandora's box starts spitting out all of its special classes of sexual attraction (all blamed on and condoned by the "sex gene").

infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

- Posted      Profile for infinite_monkey   Email infinite_monkey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The observation on lesbians tending to sleep with men (if at all, of course) during their fertile periods, was, as far as my friend can recall, part of an NPR program a couple of weeks back. For what that's worth. ("turkey baster", ::snerk:: [Snigger] )

I need to go boil my eyes now, but an exhaustive google search including such search terms as "lesbian", "fertile", "opposite sex", "NPR", "rate", "gay", "percentage", and "study" in a dizzying variety of combinations turned up no mention of such a program.

Merlin, for you this question is academic. It's of interest. You want to think more about it, and tell others what you think. Fair enough, but it's people's real lives that we play with, with we toss ideas on homosexuality around. The least we can do is be careful with our data.

--------------------
His light was lifted just above the Law,
And now we have to live with what we did with what we saw.

--Dar Williams, And a God Descended
Obligatory Blog Flog: www.otherteacher.wordpress.com

Posts: 1423 | From: left coast united states | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

- Posted      Profile for Teufelchen   Email Teufelchen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To try and bury this crap about the 'gay gene' once and for all:

A gene is a small token of information in a person's DNA. A gene (like any finite stream of digital information) is not capable of an infinite number of permutations.

Let us suppose (contrary to the evidence) that sexuality is controlled by a gene. Let us suppose this gene has a default state which renders the bearer predominantly heterosexual, and an 'active' state which renders the bearer predominantly homosexual. I hope someone can explain (because I don't see it myself) how this lends biological justification to attraction to (for instance) under-age camels.

In fact, such a gene is thought not to exist. If it did, it would be hard to see how it could have become widespread in the population before the rise of religious views on sexual morality.

What mountainsnowtiger said about morality and sex is extremely pertinent. Read it ten times, Merlin, before you next mention bisexuality and child abuse or bestiality in the same breath.

T.

--------------------
Little devil

Posts: 3894 | From: London area | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

- Posted      Profile for Teufelchen   Email Teufelchen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Sorry Henry. I didn't mean to misrepresent you. (which one is Henry? point him out to me....)

I do apologize if I misrepresented you. I never want to misrepresent what anyone says. And I have never called anyone's veracity into question. Not so far anyways, not having seen a blatant reason for needing to.
[Empahsis mine - T]

Either you don't remember, or you're being wilfully awkward here. You should remember who Henry is, and how you misrepresented him, because I've already pointed several times to this post of Henry's where he describes a bisexual of his acquaintance, and this post of yours in response where you sarcastically accuse him of not citing personal experience.

Conditional apologies stink, Merlin.

Your disingenuous manner is beginning to irk me. Of course you know that the words 'deviant' and 'aberration' are offensive, or you would qualify them as you do.

T.

[ 22. March 2007, 11:34: Message edited by: Teufelchen ]

--------------------
Little devil

Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

quote:
quote:
snipped from the body of Teufelchen's post:
  • Qualifying words like 'deviant' and 'aberration' in a weaselly way doesn't make those words less aggravating to those you are using them to describe.

Sorry if my use of certain words offends. One cannot know ahead of time. But perhaps you will take my qualification as sincere?

I'm doing my best to give you the benefit of the doubt. But 'deviant' in particular is a word loaded with the weight of discrimination and abuse. I would no more use it in earnest than I would use abusive terms for various racial groups.

quote:
quote:
  • It does not at all follow that if homosexuality were determined by a gene, all sexual preferences, licit or otherwise, would also be.

• And it does not follow that if there really is such a thing as a "sex gene", that it would be special to homosexuality and no other sexual attractions. "Ilicit" is such a loaded word. The Axtecs made common use of child prostitutes. I find fully developed 13 year-old girls sexually attractive. It is the LAW which defines "ilicit", not our biological natures.

Although I've already addressed this in a separate post, I think it's worth reiterating that here, you are making an extraordinary claim. The suggestion that all kinds of variation could be determined by a single gene, or genetically at all, is not one which I regard as credible. Discussions of genetic determination do not normally suppose such chaotic and information-dense genes.

No-one here has claimed that sexuality is genetically determined, and you haven't been able to cite a real example of anyone out there away from the Ship doing so either. Yet the straw man of genetic determination gets a good kicking in rather more than half your posts on the subject. And every time you do it, you link bisexuality with child abuse, bestiality, or both.

quote:
    quote:
  • If your friend is not your only source, please cite another.
  • Source for what exactly? Which statement do you object to, that requires that I "prove" it to you?
    You're basing a lot of your arguments on the following claims:
    • Bisexuality is more common than strict homosexuality.
    • Half of all lesbians seek out males to mate with during the peak of their monthly fertility cycle.
    • There are vocal gay activists claiming that sexuality is determined by a gene.
    • Bisexuals are promiscuous.
    Some kind of reputable source for even one of these claims, that we could check for ourselves, would be appreciated.

Let me remind you: you are making claims about human genetics and behaviour. It is up to you to produce evidence for your claims. It is not up to us, simply because we are skeptical of these claims, to produce contrary evidence. Skepticism is not a theory - it's a method.

quote:
    quote:

• If the base rate of homosexuality is 1%, and bisexuality is approximately capped as 10%, why do you regard bisexuality as the more striking/alarming/unnatural variation?

I never said I did. I observed that it is the more natural sexuality. And suspect that that is so at birth: that society, which is in the high nintieth percentile Judeo-Christian heterosexual, is what "stamps" each child with their sexual awareness.

Where did 'Judaeo-Christian' come from? Can you please, for the love of Pete explain to this baffled mathematician what you are using 'percentile' to mean?

And if bisexuality is the more natural sexuality, why have you dedicated so much space to making bisexuals look bad?

quote:
    What I was alluding to specifically is, my understanding of human naure is repelled by things that don't work; things that are ugly, are malformed, etc. What other motivation can genetic tampering have, than to create the perfect super species? Someday? So that means also, sexual attraction. Ergo, the question of exactly WHAT is ideal in sexual attraction comes up at some point. What will science give us? Total smorgasbord of sex, or one specific kind? I find the possible (probable, eventual) answer to that question disturbing.
    I find it to be stuff of science fiction, and irrelevant to the main questions here.

Besides, if the super-humans of the future are to be genetically engineered in petri dishes, who will care if they're sexually attractive? Sexual intercourse would be redundant in a culture that could engineer its citizens so completely.

quote:
    Btw, I asked my friend where he had most recently heard that bit about male homosexuals being far less bisexual than lesbians are, and he said that it was a couple of weeks back on NPR.
    I'm grateful to infinite_monkey for his research on this one. Perhaps a random member of the public claimed it in a phone-in? Or an unqualified person speaking in debate?

quote:
    A null hypothesis is not possible if there is nothing to find, i.e. no "sex gene" to begin with.
    I don't think you know what 'null hypothesis' means, on this basis.

For my part, the null hypothesis would be that there is no gene controlling sex attraction. The investigation would involve extensive DNA comparisons between straight and gay adults. This might enable a possible gene to be identified. A fully random sample of additional test subjects would then be tested for the gene, and subsequently asked about their sexual practice and attraction.

I would expect few if any candidate genes to emerge, and for none of them to have any predictive use?

Why? Because like you, I don't think sexuality is genetically determined.

quote:
    quote:
  • Have you found any evidence of bisexual promiscuity yet?

• Just human promiscuity. Why would bisexuals be any different? (Heteros, bis and homosexuals are all exhibiting their sexuality; and I expect a similar proportion are naturally monogomous, reluctant to be promiscuous, or unfaithful. The difference is that homosexuals, especially men, seem to have far more sex partners, if they sleep around at all in the first place.)

Well, I'd like to see some evidence of that, too. But I'd also know how you think it fits with this statement of yours from the original Purg thread:
    quote:
    So in my view, bisexuals are making sexual choices when they pick partners of either gender. As most (I am tempted to say ALL, but will allow that there are possibly a few exceptions) bisexuals are not known for their sexual fidelity, I have no patience for any phony claims that their situation is the same as either hetero or homosexuals, vis-a-vis "I didn't choose to be bisexual."
    quote:
    quote:
  • Please provide examples of the political 'homosexual protagonists' you keep talking about, so that we can discuss their views, rather than just your representation of those views.

• Oh jeezlouise. Aren't there people on this board who already know who these pro gay lobbies are? By name even? And who are the mouthiest protagonists that are famous or infamous, depending on your take on it all)? I didn't expect to discuss anyone's views.

You keep talking about these 'protagonists' and their views yourself. I sure didn't bring them up. But as I'm a Brit, and don't know who America's mouthiest political activists of any stripe are, please humour me and give me some examples to work with.

quote:
    quote:
  • Suppose a bisexual marries a member of the opposite sex, who subsequently dies. If the bisexual later forms a stable relationship with a member of their own sex, are they "no better than any other libertine, good for nothing except screwing"? Or do cases like this not exist in Utah?

• I bet they do, except that "marriage" of same-sex couples is not recognized as legally binding.

Try reading for comprehension. I didn't mention same-sex marriage. Instead of answering my question, you went off on a rant about infidelity. I was talking about faithful, monogamous relationships in a bisexual context. Please answer the question.

quote:
    The book (required HS reading in my day) "A Separate Peace" explored the fear of homosexual attraction between boys.
    Pardon my ignorance. What is 'HS'?

quote:
    It is real enough. But to what degree is it THE prime motivator in what we glibly call homophobia? (I noticed that someone, not to be named, on the Ship, already threw that title at me a while back.)
    You could always rejoin the Hell thread and name names.
    quote:
    You need to find that "sex gene", or prove that it doesn't exist, in order to get further with this.
    No we don't. As mountainsnowtiger has eloquently demonstrated, and MouseThief has repeated, the moral issues and the genetic ones are separate. You're the only one harping on about a sex gene. (Except where I've given it some airtime to explain why I don't believe in it.)
    quote:
    quote:
  • Are you going to concede the relevance of shipmates' personal knowledge of bisexuals?

• Yes. I haven't called anyone a liar, or such. I have merely said, that my experience is different; that doesn't mean I disbelieve other's opinions or experiences that differ. (I did quote that 59 year-old homosexual's claim, that "1%" of his associates are bisexual. I take that at face value. But I also tried to explain why that could be.)

Comper's Child has a name, you know. You needn't call him 'that 59 year-old homosexual'. As to whether you called the rest of us liars:

In response to my statement that"I know a lot of faithfully married bisexuals", you responded:
    quote:
    I doubt your use of "a lot." We tend to exaggerate to make points, it is human. As I cannot think of a single instance of a married couple that I KNOW is bisexual, I have to wonder who all these people around me under the same rock are?!

What is your definition of "faithfully married" then? I know of a couple who are sexually promiscuous: she sleeps around, he sleeps around, and both are okay with that. Is this your definition of "faithfully married?" It aint mine. Marriage "vows" of fidelity mean nothing in a relationship like that.

I'd only used 8 words, and you managed to contest my use of 4 of them. Your example of an unfaitful couple was irrelevant, but served to cast the couples I was referring to in a bad light. And your challenge to 'a lot' and reference to living under a rock simply leads me to conclude that there are a lot more bisexuals in London than in Salt Lake City.

To ToujoursDan's similar claim, you replied:
    quote:
    Where is this rock I live under? I am surrounded by hundreds of thousands of married people, and I can't think of ONE couple that I know is bisexual. Are we communicating from different hemispheres, or worlds even??
    This is absurd. You obviously don't personally know hundreds of thousands of married couples, so the fact that you can't pick the bisexuals among the people who happen to live in your city is neither here nor there. I, and ToujoursDan, and several others, were referring to people we know well enough that we do discuss their sexualities with one another. You may not have pointed at us and said 'liar, liar', but you' might as well have done. I've already covered the way you responded to Henry's experience. And because you ignored the Hell thread, you missed the personal testimony of at least two chaste bisexuals and more people who know faithfully married bisexuals.

Oh, and it seems that OliviaG caught you at your game of meaningless apologies here on the Hell thread already. Try sincerity some time.

T.

[ 22. March 2007, 14:00: Message edited by: Louise ]

--------------------
    Little devil

Louise
    Shipmate
    # 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    quote:
    Originally posted by Teufelchen:
    quote:
    Sorry Henry. I didn't mean to misrepresent you. (which one is Henry? point him out to me....)

I do apologize if I misrepresented you. I never want to misrepresent what anyone says. And I have never called anyone's veracity into question. Not so far anyways, not having seen a blatant reason for needing to.
    [Empahsis mine - T]

Either you don't remember, or you're being wilfully awkward here. You should remember who Henry is, and how you misrepresented him, because I've already pointed several times to this post of Henry's where he describes a bisexual of his acquaintance, and this post of yours in response where you sarcastically accuse him of not citing personal experience.

Conditional apologies stink, Merlin.

Your disingenuous manner is beginning to irk me. Of course you know that the words 'deviant' and 'aberration' are offensive, or you would qualify them as you do.

T.

hosting

Teufelchen, this discussion of apologies coupled with accusations of sarcasm, being disingenuous and making 'meaningless apologies' is unacceptably personal. Please stop this line of posting or take it to Hell as per commandment 4.

Louise
    Dead Horses host

hosting off

[ 22. March 2007, 14:10: Message edited by: Louise ]

--------------------
    Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
    Otter
    Shipmate
    # 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    quote:
    Originally posted by MerlintheMad (prev. page, toward the bottom):
    I don't have a problem with 5% in "studies." That would be well within a variable allowing for bisexuals behaving as, even identifying with, homosexuals. I wonder if Bis don't tend to think of themselves as anything but homosexuals with an odd streak; they must lean more one way or the other in at least two-thirds of the cases, with the ambivalent ones where they naturally fall, in the middle, liking both genders indiscriminately.

quote:
    I don't know how else you would define bisexual, than as a willingness to have sex with either gender. Frequency of sex, and changing partner genders, would be a scale establishing thing, but would not change the definition.

Merlin, please get yourself over to wikipedia, and educate yourself. (Yes, I know the issues with Wikipedia in general, but it does try to maintain neutral point of view).

Bisexuals do not self-identify as homosexuals with an odd streak. Homosexuals are attracted to people of the some gender. Bisexuals are attracted to people of both genders. Bisexuals and homosexuals are often allies in a larger social-dynamic sense, as many of the issues are the same (discrimination, etc.).

Attraction is not the same as "willing to have sex with." Many homesexuals, of both sexes, have tried behaving heterosexually, including having heterosexual sex, and it just doesn't work for them in an emotional sense - they can do the mechanics, they may even have affection for their opposite-sex partner, but in the end it just isn't a fulfilling relationship. On the same front, sometimes someone who is heterosexual will experiment briefly with homosexual sex. These kind of behaviors do not make them bisexual.

The one thing you do have right is that some bisexuals are attracted more to one gender than the other, and some are attracted to both.

What you do not have correct, and which is deeply offensive, is the implication that bisexual = willing to hump anything that moves. Some bisexuals choose celibacy. Some choose strict monagomy. Some choose to have one commited partner of each gender. And yes, some bisexuals lie and cheat and some are promiscuous. So are some homosexuals and so are some heterosexuals. The fact of their sexuality is not making them lie/cheat/sleep around.

And, might I add, that it is possible to be a married bisexual having sex with a parter of each gender, and not be cheating on their spouse. Mr. Otter is quite aware of my female partner, has been nothing but encouraging, and cares for her quite deeply himself. I fail to see, therefore, how I am either promiscuous or cheating on either of them.

--------------------
    The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
    Soror Magna
    Shipmate
    # 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    <tangent>
    quote:
    I must have been misremembering a statistic for fully functioning "intersex", i.e. where both sets of genitalia seem equally formed and usable.

You know, Merlin, if you are truly interested in the topic of intersex, there's lots information out there that's readily available. (Which makes me wonder why I'm doing all the research. [brick wall] )

Here's some basic information on genital development:
    Sick Kids - Child Physiology
    And here's a reference to what you are, in your own words, misremembering:
    True Hermaphroditism and Mixed Gonadal Dysgenesis in Young Children: A Clinicopathologic Study of 10 Cases
    quote:
    ...true hermaphroditism (TH) is the rarest form of intersexuality in humans, and the term is applied to an individual who has both well-developed ovarian and testicular tissues...
    Note that it says nothing about the appearance of the external genitalia.

The mythical figure of Hermaphroditus, is, well, a mythical figure. OliviaG
    </tangent>

--------------------
    "You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
    ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
    # 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    BTW, if you want to understand the depth of misunderstanding and hatred toward gays in Africa this is an eye opening article.

All Africa.com: The Audacity of Deviants

It discusses the pending Nigerian legislation and international genocide laws.

One passage:

quote:
    It is certain that if those who signed the genocide convention knew that the definition of genocide is so elastic that it also protects lesbians and homosexuals, they would have hesitated before signing. In these end times, we will continue to see the manifestations of the wiles of Satan. So-called international laws, conventions and treaties that call for universal obedience may be no more than satanic instruments designed and disguised in such a manner that very few may have the wisdom to decode that they are meant to advance the cause of Satan.

Paix,

Dan

[ 22. March 2007, 18:40: Message edited by: ToujoursDan ]

--------------------
    "Many people say I embarrass them with my humility" - Archbishop Peter Akinola
    Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/toujoursdan

Posts: 3734 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
    leo
    Shipmate
    # 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    quote:
    quote:
    Originally posted by leo:
    quote:
    I have heard that only 1 to 2% of a population are naturally homosexual.

Then you aren't listening much.

Various studies consistently come up with 5% (not just the discredited kinsey)

Anecdotally, it the various places where i have worked, it's around 5% - and that's only those who are 'out' or who confided in me so there are likely to be more.

In all the different churches to which I have belonged, it's been way over 5% - because I go to liberal catholic churches and they attract gay men because of the ceremonial and the welcoming, non-condemning attitude.

I don't have a problem with 5% in "studies." That would be well within a variable allowing for bisexuals behaving as, even identifying with, homosexuals. I wonder if Bis don't tend to think of themselves as anything but homosexuals with an odd streak; they must lean more one way or the other in at least two-thirds of the cases, with the ambivalent ones where they naturally fall, in the middle, liking both genders indiscriminately.

Where I live, and where I have worked, the number "out in the open" has increased over the years. It used to be way small. Now it could amount to 5% or thereabouts, in some neighborhoods. Keeping in mind, that Utah is not up to speed socially as far as changing trends in the nation at large go, there are large segments of society that will thoroughly discourage any "out in the open" behavior.

I was not talking 'studies', I was talking of real-life places wher I have worked and worshipped.

Another 5%+ were bi.

So we are getting up to 10% now - and they're just the ones who 'admit' it.

--------------------
    My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
    My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
    ken
    Ship's Roundhead
    # 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    quote:
    Do I really have to cite the animal studies?

You can't cite them because there are none that show what you claim.

quote:

Is this in doubt?

No its not in doubt. Your idea that homesexual behaviour becomes more common in order to control the population for the good of the species is wrong. There is no doubt about that.

You should stop saying it because it isn't true. You have no evidence for it because there is no evidence for it.

--------------------
    Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
    infinite_monkey
    Shipmate
    # 11333

- Posted      Profile for infinite_monkey   Email infinite_monkey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    quote:

quote:
    Btw, I asked my friend where he had most recently heard that bit about male homosexuals being far less bisexual than lesbians are, and he said that it was a couple of weeks back on NPR.
    I'm grateful to infinite_monkey for his research on this one. Perhaps a random member of the public claimed it in a phone-in? Or an unqualified person speaking in debate?

\\TANGENT BEGINS:
    Do not misidentify the gender of infinite_monkey, for we are legion, yet in human form, female. [Smile]
    // TANGENT ENDS.

And thank you for the info on the "gay gene" thing--I was trying to find a link about how it's not that simple, but I'd reached the end of my research capacities.

--------------------

Posts: 1423 | From: left coast united states | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
    ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
    # 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    The Canadian science program "Quirks and Quarks" had a show in 2005 that gave an overview on the science. You can listen to it here:
    Quirks and Quarks: Search for the Gay Gene

This link will launch your default mp3 player. It may be similar to the NPR segment Merlin is thinking of.

--------------------
    "Many people say I embarrass them with my humility" - Archbishop Peter Akinola
    Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/toujoursdan

Posts: 3734 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
    Eliab
    Shipmate
    # 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jimmy B:
    quote:
    The research I have heard of says that up to half the lesbians have had sex with men, mostly during their fertile periods.
    [...]

Surely I am not alone in imagining marauding hordes of highly-sexed lesbians out on the prowl once a month? And of earnest straight boys typing furiously one-handed while praying silently: 'Pick me!Pick me!'?

Actually it might just be you. [Biased]

I was thinking that this assertion sits very uneasily with MtM's claim that hetero- and homo- sexual attraction are learned.

If it's right (no evidence that it is, of course) that a significant number of women experience attraction to men at certain stages of their menstrual cycle, and experience attraction to women at all other times, it would suggest that there is a biological basis for at least some manifestations of sexuality, and that they are not simply learned responses.

I think one of MtM's (many) fallacies is the asumption that if a predisposition to be attracted to a particular gender is genetic it is somehow more irrestible and determinative of behaviour than if the desire is socially conditioned, so the mere possibility of an innate (read biological, therefore genetic) sexual orientation profoundly disturbs him.

But that makes no sense - innate biological desires can be as overwhelming or as trivial as socially conditioned desires. The duty to, and possibility of, refraining from acting on desires isn't in the least affected by whether those desires are caused by genetic, social or other factors.

--------------------
    "Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
    HenryT

Canadian Anglican
    # 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    It seems to me that there is no "innate biological drive" to reproduce. And that's an odd thing, because reproduction is such a biological necessity for the species. But individual organisms (especially non-human ones!) don't have a drive to reproduce, they have a drive for sex - which often results in reproduction.

Consider any species with a defined estrus ("heat") - the males are typically most sexually interested if they smell (usually) or see (some others) evidence of a female in estrus. And the females are typically only receptive when in estrus. But observation of (for example) intact calves shows a fair bit of mounting (mating) behaviour regardless.

[ 23. March 2007, 15:58: Message edited by: Henry Troup ]

--------------------
    "Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
    infinite_monkey
    Shipmate
    # 11333

quote:
    I was addressing that if there is really a "sex gene" that is responsible for same-sex attraction (the real thing, not bisexuality), then there has to be a "gene" that is the cause of attractions for camels, corpses and kids. If you are going to allow any licence (special rules) for homosexuals, then the Pandora's box is obviously all the rest of humanity's vagueries, vices and peccadillos masquerading as legitimate expressions of sexual attraction....

Backing up to express confusion (and frustration) with this gross oversimplification of exceedingly complicated genetic issues, research, and lines of debate.

I also have a friend who reads research papers for fun, to whom I sometimes turn when I'm curious about science. She's a professional science writer for a national science agency, and she tends to substantiate her opinions with, well, science. I can send the full article as a PDF if anyone would like.

Her job is to tell clueless but curious folks like myself and others about what research scientists are currently doing and saying, and how their work informs what we now understand about human genetics and behavior--here's what she told me. Most of what is being said scientifically about the genetic underpinnings of human sexual behavior is based on research involving fruit flies. And even in this utterly simple animal (compared to a human), sexual behavior is influenced by multiple genes, which themselves are influenced in their expression by multiple factors.

So not so much with the camel-snog gene as rhetorical device: do you have any other scientific reasons for your arguments against acceptance of non-celebate homosexuals as valid, functioning members of society?

--------------------

MerlintheMad
    Shipmate
    # 12279

quote:
    You're basing a lot of your arguments on the following claims:
    • Bisexuality is more common than strict homosexuality.
    • Half of all lesbians seek out males to mate with during the peak of their monthly fertility cycle.
    • There are vocal gay activists claiming that sexuality is determined by a gene.
    • Bisexuals are promiscuous.
    Some kind of reputable source for even one of these claims, that we could check for ourselves, would be appreciated.
    I see that you are sincerely puzzled, and annoyed, by my way of expressing ideas. So let me try and clear the air a bit.

First of all, "promiscuous" needs defining: typically, it means a person who has had an extramarital sexual encounter. And for a bisexual to be promiscuous, s/he would have had to have at least one such sexual encounter with each gender.

Here's the first Website I clicked on about the "finding" of the "sex gene." I have no idea if it states anything useful for this discussion. But there's a raft of stuff out there on this theory and the research behind it.

Stanford on "sex gene"

gay activist sex gene

A search with those words turned up a nice selection of Websites; I picked that one:

quote:
    Gays said they could "reinvent human nature, reinvent themselves." To do this, these reinventors had to clear away one major obstacle. No, they didn't go after the nation's clergy. They targeted the members of a worldly priesthood, the psychiatric community, and neutralized them with a radical redefinition of homosexuality itself. In 1972 and 1973 they co-opted the leadership of the American Psychiatric Association and, through a series of political maneuvers, lies and outright flim-flams, they "cured" homosexuality overnight-by fiat. They got the A.P.A. to say that same-sex sex was "not a disorder." It was merely "a condition"-as neutral as lefthandedness.

The media put its immediate blessing on this "research," but we were oversold. Now we are getting reports, even in such gay publications as The Journal of Homosexuality, that the gay-gene studies and the gay-brain studies do not stand up to critical analysis. (The author of one so-called "gay-gene theory" is under investigation by the National Institutes of Health for scientific fraud.)

In other words, they used the finding of the "sex gene" to help prove their naturalness. But that has lately come into disrepute.

So forgive me for making it sound like that is a current tactic (I lag behind the cutting edge of current events sometimes). Perhaps there still are some activists who hope this will pan out in their favor. I don't really know. You will allow, I think, that gay activists in the recent past did in fact push this "sex gene" thing, to show that their same-sex attraction is natural.

Kinsey findings on bisexuality

quote:
    Bisexuality
    Males:
    Kinsey estimated that nearly 46% of the male population had engaged in both heterosexual and homosexual activities, or "reacted to" persons of both sexes, in the course of their adult lives (p. 656, Male). 11.6% of white males (ages 20-35) were given a rating of 3 (about equal heterosexual and homosexual experience/response) on the 7-point Kinsey Heterosexual-Homosexual Rating Scale for this period of their lives (Table 147, p. 651, Male).

Females:
    Kinsey found only a very small portion of females with exclusively homosexual histories. He reported that between 6 and 14% of females (ages 20-35) had more than incidental homosexual experience in their histories. (p. 488, Female). 7% of single females (ages 20-35) and 4% of previously married females (ages 20-35) were given a rating of 3 (about equal heterosexual and homosexual experience/response) on the 7-point Kinsey Heterosexual-Homosexual Rating Scale for this period of their lives.(Table 142, p. 499, Female).

Seems pretty evident, that bisexual behavior outnumbers exclusively homosexual behavior, at least among the population of the study, at the time of the study. (What surprises me, though, is that female bisexuality is half or less than male: I had always assumed it was the other way around, women being so naturally, physically affectionate with each other, and all.) Interestingly, there doesn't seem to be a significant difference in the male statistics for being married or unmarried: but formerly married women are only c. half as likely to engage in homosexual behavior.

quote:
    Homosexuality:

Kinsey said in both the Male and Female volumes that it was impossible to determine the number of persons who are "homosexual" or "heterosexual". It was only possible to determine behavior at any given time.

This is important to remember: because it makes the incidence of bisexuality equally impossible to pin down: all we can say is, at some time in their adult lives, something like 40+ percent of males, and considerably fewer females, have engaged in significant homosexual behavior.

quote:

• If the base rate of homosexuality is 1%, and bisexuality is approximately capped as 10%, why do you regard bisexuality as the more striking/alarming/unnatural variation?
    I never said I did. I observed that it is the more natural sexuality. And suspect that that is so at birth: that society, which is in the high nintieth percentile Judeo-Christian heterosexual, is what "stamps" each child with their sexual awareness.

Where did 'Judaeo-Christian' come from? Can you please, for the love of Pete explain to this baffled mathematician what you are using 'percentile' to mean?

In America, (Europe at large too), Judeo-Christianity is practiced, admitted as the affiliation of, ninty-plus percent of the population: "high nintieth percentile." And Society is also heterosexual in an even higher percentage, so: "Higher nintieth percentile". I am not bothering with exact figures, because general statistical statements seem adequate to the discussion, and not arguable.

quote:
    And if bisexuality is the more natural sexuality, why have you dedicated so much space to making bisexuals look bad?
    I wasn't trying to do that! It seems that making reference to (other) sexual deviants in the same breath as bisexuals/homosexuals is causing emotional confusion here.

(And yes, I have already admitted that my personal belief is that homosexuality is deviant: but I am not anti-gay, as in, persecuting them or saying that their feelings of sexual attraction make them "bad". But homosexuality IS a deviation of nature. Just the least serious, and certainly NOT anywhere in the same category as pedophilia, bestiality, necrophilia, etc. My use of biologically predisposed rage was a device to show that the ancients were wrong there too, by modern standards of what is right and wrong behavior. We aren't supposed to revert to how the ancients lived: the rest of the world is supposed to improve and adopt the moral standards of the "West", brought about by the enlightened laws and government, seen for the first time on this planet, in America: or, are you willing to adopt the sexual practices of the ancients -- alive and "well" in other parts of the world -- and revert back to how mankind has always lived till now, which divides people into masters and slaves?)

Bisexuals: if what I expect is right -- that biological predisposed bisexuality is the norm at birth -- then it is hardly fair or right to make bisexuals "look bad." And I am not out to make homosexuals "look bad" either.

The same is not true of (other) deviants. The point I am making, in bringing up these deviant sexual groups, is that I am certain that they already have their agendas, arguments and evidence all prepared to fight for their own "civil rights" to their deviant behavior. And if you think it is silly, unfair, cruel and stupid, to state that, after talking about "gay activism", then I think you all are in a dark fantasy world.

This planet has a great deal of surviving sexual mores deviancy, owing its present existence to an unbroken "legacy" of the ancient world. Those societies are seen in present-day child prostitution and other "acceptable" societal sexual practices. I am HERE, and elsewhere, talking up resistance to that crap. That's why the so-called "sex gene" research, used lately by the "gay movement", has me worried. I am not ready to sit back and say, "It is thoroughly and forever discredited." It could easily take off on other tangental directions, i.e. be proven from another point of view. There are a lot of people, I feel, who would love nothing more, than to discover that all their urges are "natural and God-given", that they don't have to worry anymore about their urges being wrong.

quote:
    I find it to be stuff of science fiction, and irrelevant to the main questions here.

Besides, if the super-humans of the future are to be genetically engineered in petri dishes, who will care if they're sexually attractive? Sexual intercourse would be redundant in a culture that could engineer its citizens so completely.

Your science fiction is my near future. The world is changing far too fast in too many ways, for me to sit back and contemplate MOST of what we talk about, anymore, as mere science fiction.

Sexual intercourse would indeed, in such a world, be a moral redundancy.

quote:

Could be. And my friend, who reads voraciously, and listens to a ton of TV and radio talk, could have the NPR wrong. He doesn't remember trivial details any better than the next person. It was the statistic which stuck in his memory: but knowing him, I doubt that unless the person he was listening to at the time was a reputable guest speaker, he would not have bothered to tuck the information away for later use.

quote:
    A null hypothesis is not possible if there is nothing to find, i.e. no "sex gene" to begin with.

I don't think you know what 'null hypothesis' means, on this basis.

I told you I am no scientist. I see what "null hypothesis" is now (thanks), and of course, before, got the meaning exactly bassendackwards.

quote:
    ...like you, I don't think sexuality is genetically determined.
    Well, that's good then! But I am worried about all the deviants out there who would love it to be true.

quote:
    teuf: Have you found any evidence of bisexual promiscuity yet?
    quote:
    Merlin: Just human promiscuity. Why would bisexuals be any different? (Heteros, bis and homosexuals are all exhibiting their sexuality; and I expect a similar proportion are naturally monogomous, reluctant to be promiscuous, or unfaithful. The difference is that homosexuals, especially men, seem to have far more sex partners, if they sleep around at all in the first place.)
    quote:
    teuf: Well, I'd like to see some evidence of that, too. But I'd also know how you think it fits with this statement of yours from the original Purg thread:
    quote:
    Merlin: So in my view, bisexuals are making sexual choices when they pick partners of either gender. As most (I am tempted to say ALL, but will allow that there are possibly a few exceptions) bisexuals are not known for their sexual fidelity, I have no patience for any phony claims that their situation is the same as either hetero or homosexuals, vis-a-vis "I didn't choose to be bisexual."
    It has been my understanding, from a lifetime of hearing of the "evils" of homosexuality, that studies revealed that homosexuals (and bisexuals practicing homosexually) were highly unstable in their abilities to maintain lasting relationships. That the AIDS scare confirmed this, because in this country they were the group where AIDS was spreading like a plague. That is why I qualified how my natural tendency is to lump them altogether into a promiscuous mob. I know that my picture needs toning down. I just don't know how much.

quote:
    Please provide examples of the political 'homosexual protagonists' you keep talking about,
    a gay lobby page

First one I came up with. You can do this for yourself.

quote:
    Suppose a bisexual marries a member of the opposite sex, who subsequently dies. If the bisexual later forms a stable relationship with a member of their own sex, are they "no better than any other libertine, good for nothing except screwing"? Or do cases like this not exist in Utah?

Sorry, missed the context. I don't KNOW of any same-sex couples, living in a stable and loving relationship, who were formerly married heterosexually. Of course they exist: I can say that with complete confidence. I just don't know any personally.

I do have a friend who was once "married" to her significant other, who got herself artificially inseminated. Their relationship later failed, and my friend and her "ex" now take turns raising "their daughter." (Who is also a friend of my daughter: in church as a younger girl, she would get up and thank Heavenly Father for her "moms".) But as far as I know, my friend plans to never marry and is a single mom, a celibate lesbian (which, in our bishop's view, makes her repentant and therefore a "member in good standing").

So "no", they are not acting like a libertine when they seek out a lasting, monogomous relationship. I believe I made that clear before now, somewhere: I consider all of us in the same Ship: we need to be defined by the same morality, and that is monogomy, and no sex outside of "marriage" (by whatever name a civil union is legally recognized).

quote:
    Pardon my ignorance. What is 'HS'?
    HS = high school. (I hate acronyms; the next Chinese symbol-making written lingo.....)

quote:
    ...your challenge to 'a lot' and reference to living under a rock simply leads me to conclude that there are a lot more bisexuals in London than in Salt Lake City.
    Probably just more out in the open. I bet the per capita is about the same.

quote:
    To ToujoursDan's similar claim, you replied:
    quote:
    Where is this rock I live under? I am surrounded by hundreds of thousands of married people, and I can't think of ONE couple that I know is bisexual. Are we communicating from different hemispheres, or worlds even??
    This is absurd. You obviously don't personally know hundreds of thousands of married couples, so the fact that you can't pick the bisexuals among the people who happen to live in your city is neither here nor there. I, and ToujoursDan, and several others, were referring to people we know well enough that we do discuss their sexualities with one another.
    And I don't discuss my sexuality with very many people. So we cannot compare situations, vis-a-vis "is your situation more indicative of the world at large than mine."

quote:

Oh, and it seems that OliviaG caught you at your game of meaningless apologies here on the Hell thread already. Try sincerity some time.

T.

So my apologies are insincere. God alone knows. I wouldn't expect people in "Hell", who demean themselves by indulging in foul language and cutting people down, to understand sincerity if it reared up and bit them in the kiester.
    MerlintheMad
    Shipmate
    # 12279

quote:
    Originally posted by Otter:

....snip

What you do not have correct, and which is deeply offensive, is the implication that bisexual = willing to hump anything that moves. Some bisexuals choose celibacy. Some choose strict monagomy. Some choose to have one commited partner of each gender. And yes, some bisexuals lie and cheat and some are promiscuous. So are some homosexuals and so are some heterosexuals. The fact of their sexuality is not making them lie/cheat/sleep around.

And, might I add, that it is possible to be a married bisexual having sex with a parter of each gender, and not be cheating on their spouse. Mr. Otter is quite aware of my female partner, has been nothing but encouraging, and cares for her quite deeply himself. I fail to see, therefore, how I am either promiscuous or cheating on either of them.

"Willingness to have sex with", was an unfortunate choice of words. Sorry about that. What I meant was: "Willing to imagine having sex with," as in, fantasizing something attractive. Not that they are automatically on the prowl.

And I am sorry too, that we have such a different outlook on what is a meaningful and faithful relationship. What yous three seem to have, as you describe it, is nothing less than a case of virtual polygamy. It may not be officially recognized but that's all it is; with the added twist that the women also find each other sexually satisfying.. "Kinky", is how the so-called moral majority would define such threesomes.

This is why neighbors are well advised to NOT sit around and discuss their sexual preferences and intimate details. You and I can cross verbals here safely. But if I knew of the three of you as my immediate neighbors, this would be very hard to simply ignore. An invisible society is a polite society. Public decorum wasn't invented in a vacuum.

MerlintheMad
    Shipmate
    # 12279

quote:
    Originally posted by ken:
    quote:

quote:

Is this in doubt?

No its not in doubt. Your idea that homesexual behaviour becomes more common in order to control the population for the good of the species is wrong. There is no doubt about that.

You should stop saying it because it isn't true. You have no evidence for it because there is no evidence for it.

http://www.viewzone.com/homosexual.html

quote:
    It is therefore possible that while the body and organs of an animal can be a "male," the brain can coincidentally be "female." This extreme reaction to maternal stress even has a very logical and natural purpose. Sensing that a population is under the stress of crowding or poor living conditions, nature provides this hormonal mechanism as a means to limit population growth and thereby reduce the cause of the stress. Homosexual behavior results in less offspring than heterosexual behavior.

Seems there are some "out there" who disagree. As I said, this is still very mysterious stuff; a consensus is not in.
    MerlintheMad
    Shipmate
    # 12279

quote:
    Originally posted by infinite_monkey:
    quote:
    I was addressing that if there is really a "sex gene" that is responsible for same-sex attraction (the real thing, not bisexuality), then there has to be a "gene" that is the cause of attractions for camels, corpses and kids. If you are going to allow any licence (special rules) for homosexuals, then the Pandora's box is obviously all the rest of humanity's vagueries, vices and peccadillos masquerading as legitimate expressions of sexual attraction....

Backing up to express confusion (and frustration) with this gross oversimplification of exceedingly complicated genetic issues, research, and lines of debate.

I also have a friend who reads research papers for fun, to whom I sometimes turn when I'm curious about science. She's a professional science writer for a national science agency, and she tends to substantiate her opinions with, well, science. I can send the full article as a PDF if anyone would like.

Her job is to tell clueless but curious folks like myself and others about what research scientists are currently doing and saying, and how their work informs what we now understand about human genetics and behavior--here's what she told me. Most of what is being said scientifically about the genetic underpinnings of human sexual behavior is based on research involving fruit flies. And even in this utterly simple animal (compared to a human), sexual behavior is influenced by multiple genes, which themselves are influenced in their expression by multiple factors.

So not so much with the camel-snog gene as rhetorical device: do you have any other scientific reasons for your arguments against acceptance of non-celebate homosexuals as valid, functioning members of society?

Scientific reasons? No. Societal reasons: the same as for everybody else. Promiscuity = faithlesness. No staying power. No lasting relationships. You can try later, but any earlier promiscuity is sort of like having a piper who needs paying: your "significant other", knowing your promiscuous past, will not be filled with confidence in your pledge of enduring love. So, teaching kids early that marriage is sacred has to apply to homosexuals too (much though the concept of such a "marriage" is alien to my sensibilities: I have to let that go). If everyone would do that much, and society saw a reversal of the failure of marriage and family, I think that the homosexual "question" would disappear as it became part of the common good.
    the_raptor
    Shipmate
    # 10533

- Posted      Profile for the_raptor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    quote:
    Scientific reasons? No. Societal reasons: the same as for everybody else. Promiscuity = faithlesness. No staying power. No lasting relationships. You can try later, but any earlier promiscuity is sort of like having a piper who needs paying: your "significant other", knowing your promiscuous past, will not be filled with confidence in your pledge of enduring love. So, teaching kids early that marriage is sacred has to apply to homosexuals too (much though the concept of such a "marriage" is alien to my sensibilities: I have to let that go). If everyone would do that much, and society saw a reversal of the failure of marriage and family, I think that the homosexual "question" would disappear as it became part of the common good.

You think promiscuity has anything to do with the failure of marriage? The only difference between now and a hundred years ago is that women won't put up with it. People aren't willing to sit in loveless (or even hate filled) marriages, or put up with emotional and physical abuse, to the extant that they would in the past.

Promiscuity is just a symptom of the illness.

--------------------
    Mal: look at this! Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
    Zoe: Big damn heroes, sir!
    Mal: Ain't we just?
    — Firefly

Posts: 3921 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
    infinite_monkey
    Shipmate
    # 11333

Merlin, I appreciate you taking the trouble to supply some external sources to back up your argument. Taking a look at these same sources, however, is rather more informative than you might like it to be.

The "Natural Cause of Homosexuality" article doesn't cite most of its sources: in one of the rare cases where it DOES (Kosofsky), the source specifically stated to the author that the research SHOULD NOT be taken to support the conclusions the author draws. Speaking of the author, Dan Eden is either:

1) A bit actor who had roles as a "street thug" in Saint Elmo's Fire and Lucifer in See No Evil or
    2) A self-styled paranormal investigator with some fairly wacky views on extraterrestrials, government conspiracies, and the pyramid scheme allegedly behind the U.S. dollar.

For the sake of science, I actually hope he's "street thug".

Moving right along to your "gay activist sex gene" link in response to Teufelchen's post: you may not be aware that the author of what you present as objective science is Charles Socarides an extremely fringe individual with no background in human genetics (he was a psychoanalyst who believed that homosexuality was a curable "neurotic adaptation" developed in response to a controlling mother and a weak father). Most mainstream organizations who take any kind of stand on anything related to his views firmly reject them (including the American Psychiatric Association, which views his practices of "reparative therapy" as unethical.) On a more personal level, our man Socarides wrote Homosexuality: A Freedom Too Far 7 years after marrying his fourth wife.

Your arguments just aren't standing up to the light of objective research and lived experiences: all we seem to be left with is your prescriptions and descriptions of how homosexuals and other queer folks "ought to be". When, after knocking some holes into another of your theories, what arguments you still had against non-celebate homosexuals as valid, functioning members of society, you conflated "non-celebate" with "promiscuous" and said that society is harmed by these individuals. Yet in previous posts, you've said that marriage and family should not be options for people with same-sex attraction, leaving essentially no room for anything in between "celebate" and "promiscuous". Denying a decent-sized chunk of the human population a fairly significant chunk of the human experience.

I don't think there's any use in me continuing to ask you to take a look at your beliefs in the light of what's really out there, but I do think you might want to start with looking at where your beliefs are getting form and support.

ETA: Final pedantic parting shot: percentile and percentage are two very different things. You are inadvertently suggesting that all babies are more bisexual than 90 percent of babies, and that all Americans are more Judeo-Christian than 90 percent of Americans. [brick wall]

[ 25. March 2007, 07:00: Message edited by: infinite_monkey ]

--------------------

mdijon
    Shipmate
    # 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by Ken:

quote:

...doesn't support up your earlier claim. You claimed homosexuality had something to do with population density. Nothing on that poorly written page (which is all second hand reporting anyway) backs you up.

--------------------
    mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
    ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
    Teufelchen
    Shipmate
    # 10158

In a long post, there was a lot to address. I may pick up on some of it in more detail tomorrow. But for now, this section leapt out at me:
    quote:
    We aren't supposed to revert to how the ancients lived: the rest of the world is supposed to improve and adopt the moral standards of the "West", brought about by the enlightened laws and government, seen for the first time on this planet, in America: or, are you willing to adopt the sexual practices of the ancients -- alive and "well" in other parts of the world -- and revert back to how mankind has always lived till now, which divides people into masters and slaves?)

If we're going to talk of slavery, and of America, look at the calendar. A famous anniversary is being celebrated here in the UK this year.

T.

--------------------
    Little devil

MSHB
    Shipmate
    # 9228

- Posted      Profile for MSHB   Email MSHB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    quote:
    Originally posted by the_raptor:
    The only difference between now and a hundred years ago is that women won't put up with it.

Um, another difference is life expectancy. Marriages back then were often as short as now, but instead of ending in divorce, they ended with the premature death of one or the other partner.

As life expectancy increased, people became more likely to divorce. Faithfulness is a bigger strain if it must last until you are 70-80, than if it ends at 45 or 50.

But that is not to disagree with your observations of changing social roles and expectations among women.

--------------------
    MSHB: Member of the Shire Hobbit Brigade

Posts: 1522 | From: Dharawal Country | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
    Teufelchen
    Shipmate
    # 10158

quote:
    I see that you are sincerely puzzled, and annoyed, by my way of expressing ideas. So let me try and clear the air a bit.

Thanks. I must be honest, though. It's not exactly your way of expressing ideas that gets to me. It really is the content. I've been ticked off by the hosts for being rude to you, and I apologise. We definitely have different ways of expressing ourselves. But I do have a serious point of disagreement with you, both on the basis of science and of politics. I'll do my best to explain why I have the doubts and problems I do with the material you're presenting.

quote:
    First of all, "promiscuous" needs defining: typically, it means a person who has had an extramarital sexual encounter. And for a bisexual to be promiscuous, s/he would have had to have at least one such sexual encounter with each gender.
    I'll try not to be unduly pedantic, but the second sentence here seems to imply that a person who fancies both sexes, but sleeps with lots of members of one sex only, is not promiscuous.

quote:
    Here's the first Website I clicked on about the "finding" of the "sex gene." I have no idea if it states anything useful for this discussion. But there's a raft of stuff out there on this theory and the research behind it.

Stanford on "sex gene"

That's an interesting article. However, I am not a fruit fly. This quote from Professor Bruce Baker seems relevant to the current discussion:
    quote:
    "When it comes to sex in more complex organisms, those non-biological influences will undoubtedly be stronger and more varied, and the variety of outcomes is undoubtedly much greater," he said.
    quote:

gay activist sex gene

A search with those words turned up a nice selection of Websites; I picked that one:

OK. The hosting site for Mr Socarides' article is 'Leadership University'. Investigation shows that 'Leadership U' is not a university at all, but a front for Campus Crusade for Christ. Its main area of activity seems to be Intelligent Design advocacy. I would not expect it to be a good source of scientific data on this basis.

Infinite monkey has already discussed Charles Socarides' credentials in a post above. Socarides' own article does not cite its sources - a fall at the first hurdle for an article by a self-proclaimed professor. So we don't actually have any example, there, of a gay activist claiming that homosexuality is genetic.

We do have a mention of Larry Kramer, whose writings I have read, so I am helpfully reminded that I do know of at least one prominent US gay activist.

Larry Kramer is known for speaking out against promiscuity and unsafe sex, and describes gender studies and queer theory as 'incomprehensible gobbledygook'. So he's perhaps not the sort of gay activist you meant.

quote:
    You will allow, I think, that gay activists in the recent past did in fact push this "sex gene" thing, to show that their same-sex attraction is natural.
    Not on the basis of fruit flies and a paranoid discredited psychologist on a creationist website, I won't.

Your quotations from Kinsey are perhaps outdated (and Kinsey's methods have been criticised). However, they do seem to indicate that bisexual practice is reasonably common, and so is more clearly homosexual practice. None of this leads me to think that gayness is (or is not) genetic. Indeed, this looks like a good example of the sort of complexity Professor Baker describes in the quote above.

quote:
    In America, (Europe at large too), Judeo-Christianity is practiced, admitted as the affiliation of, ninty-plus percent of the population: "high nintieth percentile." And Society is also heterosexual in an even higher percentage, so: "Higher nintieth percentile". I am not bothering with exact figures, because general statistical statements seem adequate to the discussion, and not arguable.
    Infinite monkey has already talked about 'percentile'. I would like to add that there is no such religion as 'Judaeo-Christianity', and that most western european countries are nothing like 90% Christian or Jewish. Perhaps it would be useful to have some statistics. According to the World Values Survey, just less than 3/4 of Americans are members of any religion at all. The figure is 82% for Great Britain, 58% for France, and 45% for the Netherlands. 55% of people in Great Britain 'never or practically never' attend religious services - 60% in France. (The US figures for this entry are harder to read - many more people go regularly to religious services in the US.) 95% of Americans believe in God, 61% of British people, 58% of people in the Netherlands, and 56% of French people.

(The average acceptability (1-10) of homosexuality was 4.89 in Great Britain, 4.75 in the US, 7.65 in Sweden, 7.82 in the Netherlands, 5.27 in France, and 1.48 in Albania.)

On making bisexuals look bad:
    quote:
    I wasn't trying to do that! It seems that making reference to (other) sexual deviants in the same breath as bisexuals/homosexuals is causing emotional confusion here.
    Well, yes. Although I wouldn't call it 'emotional confusion'.

quote:
    The same is not true of (other) deviants. The point I am making, in bringing up these deviant sexual groups, is that I am certain that they already have their agendas, arguments and evidence all prepared to fight for their own "civil rights" to their deviant behavior. And if you think it is silly, unfair, cruel and stupid, to state that, after talking about "gay activism", then I think you all are in a dark fantasy world.
    It might well be true that such groups exist. The thing here is that I don't think it's important. A legal system founded on true respect for human rights can reasonably expected to support consenting adult homosexual practice and oppose child sex abuse. (A legal system that protected animals and supported respect for the dead would be good too.) I just don't think there is a slippery slope here.

quote:
    Those societies are seen in present-day child prostitution and other "acceptable" societal sexual practices.
    Where is child prostitution acceptable?

quote:
    I am HERE, and elsewhere, talking up resistance to that crap. That's why the so-called "sex gene" research, used lately by the "gay movement", has me worried. I am not ready to sit back and say, "It is thoroughly and forever discredited." It could easily take off on other tangental directions, i.e. be proven from another point of view. There are a lot of people, I feel, who would love nothing more, than to discover that all their urges are "natural and God-given", that they don't have to worry anymore about their urges being wrong.
    You still haven't shown us a real example of a gay activist citing the existence of a 'gay gene' in defence of gay rights. Gay rights are human rights - a society which respects people will respect gay people.

quote:
    Your science fiction is my near future. The world is changing far too fast in too many ways, for me to sit back and contemplate MOST of what we talk about, anymore, as mere science fiction.

Sexual intercourse would indeed, in such a world, be a moral redundancy.

It might not be a moral redundancy. I meant that it would be a practical redundancy. I see no sign that we are close to producing genetically engineered humans in the way you describe. I suppose we could produce humans which were incapable of completing the fruit fly mating dance - but how would we know?

quote:
    quote:
    ...like you, I don't think sexuality is genetically determined.
    Well, that's good then! But I am worried about all the deviants out there who would love it to be true.
    People are likely to get upset by the use of 'deviant' in a substantive way like this. For an analogy, think of it like referring to an illegal immigrant as 'an illegal'. There, the transition is from referring to an illegally undertaken act to identifying the entire person as illegal. With 'deviant' the transition is from a sex act (or desire) you disapprove of, to describing the entire person with disapproval.
    quote:
    It has been my understanding, from a lifetime of hearing of the "evils" of homosexuality, that studies revealed that homosexuals (and bisexuals practicing homosexually) were highly unstable in their abilities to maintain lasting relationships.
    Might I suggest that a lifetime spent hearing about the 'evils' of homosexuality is not an ideal unbiased basis for learning about the realities of life and attraction for gay and bisexual people? My personal experience (which is no more or less valid, by itself) is that gay, straight and bisexual people are all as much or as little promiscuous, and bad at relationships, as one another.

quote:
    That the AIDS scare confirmed this, because in this country they were the group where AIDS was spreading like a plague.
    In New York or San Francisco around the end of the 1970s, this was certainly true. However, it varies from place to place. In Glasgow, intravenous drug users were almost single-handedly responsible for the transmission of HIV. In parts of Africa today, heterosexual sex is the main vector.

The tragic (and highly preventable) spread of HIV does not constitute evidence of instability in homosexual relationships.

quote:
    quote:
    Please provide examples of the political 'homosexual protagonists' you keep talking about,
    a gay lobby page

First one I came up with. You can do this for yourself.

Well, that site is in New South Wales. I was hoping you'd got an American example for me. I also don't see anything there asking for special treatment, or arguing about a 'gay gene'. Unless I've missed something obvious, I think this is an entirely innocuous gay rights group. They seem to be concerned with things like fair treatment in the workplace. Perhaps (with my trade unionist hat on) I should think about sending them some money?

quote:
    I do have a friend who was once "married" to her significant other, who got herself artificially inseminated. Their relationship later failed, and my friend and her "ex" now take turns raising "their daughter." (Who is also a friend of my daughter: in church as a younger girl, she would get up and thank Heavenly Father for her "moms".) But as far as I know, my friend plans to never marry and is a single mom, a celibate lesbian (which, in our bishop's view, makes her repentant and therefore a "member in good standing").
    I'm pleased to learn your bishop has not asked her to repent specifically. (Your church must be very different to mine. I can't imagine anyone just standing up during the service and thanking God aloud for anything.)

quote:
    So "no", they are not acting like a libertine when they seek out a lasting, monogomous relationship. I believe I made that clear before now, somewhere: I consider all of us in the same Ship: we need to be defined by the same morality, and that is monogomy, and no sex outside of "marriage" (by whatever name a civil union is legally recognized).
    Well, people would doubtless disagree with you. What I'm trying to work out is whether you think there is any problem with a bisexual person, when setting out to form such a relationship, considering members of both sexes.

quote:
    So we cannot compare situations, vis-a-vis "is your situation more indicative of the world at large than mine."
    Granted.

(Viewzone.com does not appear to be a site hosting reputable scientific research. I would characterise it as a tertiary source, akin to an encyclopedia, and written from a decidedly populist and sensationalist standpoint.)

I am sorry, once again, for getting too personal. Louise's reprimand was correct.

T.

--------------------
    Little devil

R.A.M.
    Shipmate
    # 7390

- Posted      Profile for R.A.M.   Email R.A.M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    The shift in life expectancy is often overstated. Life expectancy at birth is skewed by the previously very high levels of infant mortality.

A better indicator is life expectancy at a later age, I've heard five used, which removes infant deaths from the equation. For these purposes life expectancy and indeed remaining life expectancy at marriage, would be a better indicator. (I doubt that data exists in the public realm)

Once you factor in widely varying average age of marriage, (at the moment about 30 - which should make up for the change in life expectancy if you assume marriage in the early 20's) then it becomes very hard to sustain a case either way. More sustainable is a case built on the increased social acceptability of divorce, and increased awareness of domestic violence. This fits in better with information about communities and countries where the life expectancy is the same, but where domestic violence is hushed up, and divorce carries social stigma (unsurprisingly - marriages last longer).

I'm also not sure about how promiscuity is being understood here. Are we talking about infidelity? Or serial monogamy? Or is there an element of: "What Gay people do when they go to Bars"?

--------------------
    Formerly Real Ale Methodist
    Back after prolonged absence...

Posts: 1584 | From: (Sunshine on) Leith | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
    Otter
    Shipmate
    # 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    quote:
    Originally posted by Real Ale Methodist:

I'm also not sure about how promiscuity is being understood here. Are we talking about infidelity? Or serial monogamy? Or is there an element of: "What Gay people do when they go to Bars"?

I tend to default to the dictionary definition, myself: Lacking standards of selection; indiscriminate; indiscriminate is sexual relations; casual; random.

My interpretation of the dictionary definition is that a person can be non-monagomous, without necessarily being promiscuous. I see "casual" and "indiscriminate" as the selectors, which does, admittedly, leave some definite grey area between monogamy and promiscuity.

I can easily come up with a scenario where someone calls themselves monagomous, that others would call promiscuous - some of the bed-hopping I saw in college. People were serially monogamous, but the partnerings didn't last long, and the standards seemed to consist of breathing and attractiveness (right sex, pretty face, right social group, and minimum level of personal hygeine.

--------------------
    The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Otter
    Shipmate
    # 12020

quote:
    Originally posted by Otter:
    quote:
    Originally posted by Real Ale Methodist:

I tend to default to the dictionary definition, myself: Lacking standards of selection; indiscriminate; indiscriminate is sexual relations; casual; random.

My interpretation of the dictionary definition is that a person can be non-monagomous, without necessarily being promiscuous. I see "casual" and "indiscriminate" as the selectors, which does, admittedly, leave some definite grey area between monogamy and promiscuity.

I can easily come up with a scenario where someone calls themselves monagomous, that others would call promiscuous - some of the bed-hopping I saw in college. People were serially monogamous, but the partnerings didn't last long, and the standards seemed to consist of breathing and attractiveness (right sex, pretty face, right social group, and minimum level of personal hygeine.

ETA: I don't think I'd call someone having an affair behind their spouse's back with one longish-term partner promiscuous. Other names, definitely, but that doesn't make them promiscuous the way I'm reading the definition (American Heritage Dictionary, don't have an OED handy, sigh...)

--------------------

MerlintheMad
    Shipmate
    # 12279

quote:
    Merlin, I appreciate you taking the trouble to supply some external sources to back up your argument. Taking a look at these same sources, however, is rather more informative than you might like it to be.

No trouble at all. It took me all of half an hour to open a few Webpages and quickly read enough to at least know that the authors were talking about the subjects. I didn't worry very much of they were close to a majority opinion or "out there." The point I was making by posting the links was, that there is evidence (where some here claimed there was zero, in one case) and sound reasoning behind why people believe what they believe. Just because a majority of opinion may be against them does not mean that they are necessarily wrong; and certainly doesn't mean that they don't have well-thought out reasons why they believe as they do.

I could see instantly, btw, that Socarides was going to fall flat on his conservative face with popular thinking: he opened his paper with comments addressing that.
    quote:

Your arguments just aren't standing up to the light of objective research and lived experiences:...

That sounds rather rhetorical to me. "Lived experiences", what's that supposed to imply? That you have to be queer to "get it?" Or, that you have to have a boatload of queer friends, workmates, and neighbors, to "get it?"

quote:

...all we seem to be left with is your prescriptions and descriptions of how homosexuals and other queer folks "ought to be". When, after knocking some holes into another of your theories, what arguments you still had against non-celebate homosexuals as valid, functioning members of society, you conflated "non-celebate" with "promiscuous" and said that society is harmed by these individuals.

You don't think society is harmed by promiscuity? It doesn't matter a bit, if I said it incorrectly. (I often write incorrectly, but appreciate your making it clear to me how I am in error.) You evidently understand what I am trying to communicate.

Uncelebate homosexuals, imho, harm society. Legally, I recognize that they should be allowed to cohabit, even "marry" (get civilly united). And all I am saying is that anyone (hetero, homo or deviant sexual) who does not abide by an agreed upon societal moral standard, is living outside of society's expectations. I think that is obvious that promiscuous behavior is wrong and harmful; and any place where homosexuals are allowed to "marry" they should be doing it at once rather than indulging in sex for pleasure and not for bonding relationships.

quote:
    Yet in previous posts, you've said that marriage and family should not be options for people with same-sex attraction, leaving essentially no room for anything in between "celebate" and "promiscuous". Denying a decent-sized chunk of the human population a fairly significant chunk of the human experience.
    Yes. It is too bad, that the vast majority of Judeo-Christians agree, that sex for procreation is the only righteous sexual expression. That is the split that I first addressed on the Ingham thread. Of course, you will want me to back up "vast majority". I can't, anymore than you can refute it. Most people are fence sitters to begin with. This "cause" is still polarizing the majority one way or the other. People who never had to consider the cause of homosexual equal rights now have it in their face, and many are still trying to sit comfortably behind their ages-old tradtional denouncement of homosexuality, vis-a-vis Paul mainly.

quote:

ETA: Final pedantic parting shot: percentile and percentage are two very different things. You are inadvertently suggesting that all babies are more bisexual than 90 percent of babies, and that all Americans are more Judeo-Christian than 90 percent of Americans. [brick wall]

Thank you. It wasn't that long ago, that I finally realized that second cousins and first cousins once removed are not the same thing, just said two different ways! (Maybe you didn't know that either?) I welcome, as I said, any correction to my way of writing that is incorrect.
    Soror Magna
    Shipmate
    # 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    quote:
    First of all, "promiscuous" needs defining: typically, it means a person who has had an extramarital sexual encounter.

(Italics mine.)

Well, that may be your definition, Merlin, but it is not the definition most other people are working with. I've just checked several on-line dictionaries and none of the definitions make any reference to marriage. What you've described above is an act of adultery. You've defined promiscuity so broadly as to make it meaningless - a 93-year-old who cheated 50 years ago would be considered "promiscuous"! OliviaG

[ 26. March 2007, 20:05: Message edited by: OliviaG ]

--------------------
    "You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

MerlintheMad
    Shipmate
    # 12279

quote:
    Originally posted by mdijon:
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by Ken:

quote:

...doesn't support up your earlier claim. You claimed homosexuality had something to do with population density. Nothing on that poorly written page (which is all second hand reporting anyway) backs you up.

You said there was zero evidence on the claim that population pressures MIGHT be a cause in increased homosexual behavior. I supplied a quick reference to studies that observed this happening in very controlled situations. I never said, nor do I believe, that local high human population density results in those places having more homosexuals: I am addressing world-wide population only, which we all know is too high and getting critically so.
    MerlintheMad
    Shipmate
    # 12279

quote:
    In a long post, there was a lot to address. I may pick up on some of it in more detail tomorrow. But for now, this section leapt out at me:
    quote:
    We aren't supposed to revert to how the ancients lived: the rest of the world is supposed to improve and adopt the moral standards of the "West", brought about by the enlightened laws and government, seen for the first time on this planet, in America: or, are you willing to adopt the sexual practices of the ancients -- alive and "well" in other parts of the world -- and revert back to how mankind has always lived till now, which divides people into masters and slaves?)

If we're going to talk of slavery, and of America, look at the calendar. A famous anniversary is being celebrated here in the UK this year.

T.

If we are going to talk of perfection before we talk of improvement, then we have nothing to talk about.

Slavery, was taken care of later, because the originators of the American constitution could not address it in 1776, or they would have had no united cause to defend. Nobody is claiming that the USA is perfect: it's just the best system of self government, by far, to come out of the combined humman experience of the last c. 6,000 years.

Teufelchen
    Shipmate
    # 10158

quote:
    Slavery, was taken care of later, because the originators of the American constitution could not address it in 1776, or they would have had no united cause to defend. Nobody is claiming that the USA is perfect: it's just the best system of self government, by far, to come out of the combined humman experience of the last c. 6,000 years.

This is an interesting tangent, and not deceased equine material - I have started a new thread in Purgatory about it.

T.

--------------------
    Little devil

Soror Magna
    Shipmate
    # 9881

quote:
    I never said, nor do I believe, that local high human population density results in those places having more homosexuals: I am addressing world-wide population only, which we all know is too high and getting critically so.

The problem with this backpedal is that while an organism may sense and possibly be affected by local population density, an organism can't sense the total world-wide population of its kind (if at all). In fact, humans are probably the only species on the planet that actually knows (ok, estimates) its total numbers. OliviaG

--------------------

Papio

Ship's baboon
    # 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    quote:
    What you've described above is an act of adultery.

Only if the person having the sex is married, presumably? Or having sex with someone else who is married?

The view that everyone is bisexual at birth and an individuals sexuality is culturally determined is actually a view given some weight in the text books, and makes some sense considering that there is zero evidence for a gay gene (or a straight gene) and that sexual practices have differed over time and space - unless we want to make the claim that everyone else is perverted and we are the normal ones.

The claim that it is the norm in every culture for a man and a women to marry and remain faithful simply isn't true.

It's just that "culturally determined" doesn't mean, or imply, that the individaul has a free choice, and to say that it does is hubris.

[ 26. March 2007, 22:06: Message edited by: Papio ]

--------------------
    Infinite Penguins.
    My "Readit, Swapit" page
    My "LibraryThing" page

Posts: 12176 | From: a zoo in England. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
    MerlintheMad
    Shipmate
    # 12279

quote:

I'll try not to be unduly pedantic, but the second sentence here seems to imply that a person who fancies both sexes, but sleeps with lots of members of one sex only, is not promiscuous.

Certainly, now that I reread EXACTLY what I did not include, you can draw that conclusion and I would be pressed to defend myself, if this were a formal debate here. But you know what I meant, and evidently do not disagree with that.

quote:

However, I am not a fruit fly. This quote from Professor Bruce Baker seems relevant to the current discussion:
    quote:
    "When it comes to sex in more complex organisms, those non-biological influences will undoubtedly be stronger and more varied, and the variety of outcomes is undoubtedly much greater," he said.

Naturally I agree with this. Fruit flies and mice only offer evidence to support such a theory, that population pressures influence the increase in homosexual behavior. There is nothing conclusive in any of the research so far, that I have heard about.

quote:
    Infinite monkey has already discussed Charles Socarides' credentials in a post above.
    And I never said that I am a follower of either "intelligent design" or Socarides: I posted that Website link as an EXAMPLE of well thought out argument, explaining the traditional objections to homosexual "excuses" for why they are the way they are.

And as I said above, there is no question that it could be right (that homosexuals are "made" rather than biologically predisposed at birth): a majority opinion does not make any notions right, else Christianity would be the "true faith" in the world.

And as I also have said, scientific research is still finding out; so there is no consensus conclusion as to why homosexuality exists in the first place. WHY, is not really the point anyway, is it? What we do about it is the point; a very complex point with lots of pitfalls for our society.

quote:
    Larry Kramer is known for speaking out against promiscuity and unsafe sex, and describes gender studies and queer theory as 'incomprehensible gobbledygook'. So he's perhaps not the sort of gay activist you meant.
    I don't know Larry Kramer's rep. The name is faintly familiar, so I've probably heard him mentioned/quoted at some time in the past. But if he advocates faithful relationships and eschews extramarital relations among homosexuals, then I am going to admire that sort of gay activist.

quote:

Your quotations from Kinsey are perhaps outdated (and Kinsey's methods have been criticised). However, they do seem to indicate that bisexual practice is reasonably common, and so is more clearly homosexual practice. None of this leads me to think that gayness is (or is not) genetic. Indeed, this looks like a good example of the sort of complexity Professor Baker describes in the quote above.

True. But name a single study of anything which is not criticized. Kinsey is almost "venerable" by now. If any substantial part of it still holds up, then I say that was a pretty good bit of research.

Again, whether or not homosexuals are biologically predisposed is not the issue (although I find the notion disturbing in its implications, if "proven" true by scientific consensus).

My original comment on the Ingham thread, was that a "split" in our society is caused by the perceived differences in hetero and homosexuals: that this is fundamental and irreversible. To claim that a heterosexual majority can somehow be persuaded to believe that they have been wrong all these thousands of years, and view homosexuals as just like they are, is as unreasonable as Socarides' "ilk" saying that they can cure homosexuals of their illness.

If homosexuals are claiming a natural (to them) sexual attraction, then they can not expect a majority of heterosexuals to feel any differently toward them. (Or are you going to claim, that somehow homosexuals are a special, superior breed apart, and don't experience any prejudice toward heterosexuals?)

quote:
    I would like to add that there is no such religion as 'Judaeo-Christianity', and that most western european countries are nothing like 90% Christian or Jewish.
    And Muslim, don't forget. Taken collectively, that IS Judeo-Christianity: a single religious evolution that includes thousands of sects and churches.

quote:
    It might well be true that such groups exist. The thing here is that I don't think it's important. A legal system founded on true respect for human rights can reasonably expected to support consenting adult homosexual practice and oppose child sex abuse. (A legal system that protected animals and supported respect for the dead would be good too.) I just don't think there is a slippery slope here.
    Of course there is. With the world becoming ever-smaller, all cultures and societies will come under increasing scrutiny, and judgment. A world becoming one community will perforce decide on what is sexually moral, and the legalities will define it. In many, MANY places animals have zero rights, period. Children are property, and child prostitution is part of life. So your "legal system respecting human rights" will require a great deal of qualifying.

And my worry is, that in this country, sexual deviants care far more about their vices than they do about the principles of human liberty: they would sell out to anyone who protected their vices, and are prepared to do so at the first opportunity.

quote:
    MerlintheMa:
    ; Those societies are seen in present-day child prostitution and other "acceptable" societal sexual practices.

Where is child prostitution acceptable?

"Acceptable", doesn't mean legal. If you are expecting a public display of infant sex for sale, you will be disappointed.

Try this selection for starters: "bon appetit"

Google search for: legalized child prostitution

quote:
    You still haven't shown us a real example of a gay activist citing the existence of a 'gay gene' in defence of gay rights.
    I never went looking for one before. Just from the quick look a couple days ago, it appears that lately this approach to "legitimizing" gay sex has fallen into disrepute. I admitted, that sometimes my current knowledge is behind the cutting edge of current affairs.

quote:
    I see no sign that we are close to producing genetically engineered humans in the way you describe. I suppose we could produce humans which were incapable of completing the fruit fly mating dance - but how would we know?
    I do get ahead of current affairs in my imagination/expectation of what's ahead. That's known as irony: behind in my understanding of current affairs, and yet imagining/worrying, preparing to resist what I "foresee" that is bad. (Is this what it feels like to go Mad?)

quote:
    People are likely to get upset by the use of 'deviant' in a substantive way like this. For an analogy, think of it like referring to an illegal immigrant as 'an illegal'. There, the transition is from referring to an illegally undertaken act to identifying the entire person as illegal. With 'deviant' the transition is from a sex act (or desire) you disapprove of, to describing the entire person with disapproval.
    Okay: "Practioners of sexual deviance", then.

quote:
    My personal experience (which is no more or less valid, by itself) is that gay, straight and bisexual people are all as much or as little promiscuous, and bad at relationships, as one another.
    I agree.

quote:

The tragic (and highly preventable) spread of HIV does not constitute evidence of instability in homosexual relationships.

It is in the highly publicized cases that I was familiar with. I see, of course, that Africa's HIV plague is heterosexually transmitted. And I allow for the great differences in areas where the disease is spreading. I was admitting why I have had the notions about illicit homosexual practices in the past. I am sure that there are places where gays have been infamous for their promiscuity. Just like the inquisition and crusades have given Christianity a blackened name throughout Islam; yet they are movements of the past.

quote:
    teufelchen:

MerlintheMad:
    a gay lobby page First one I came up with. You can do this for yourself.

Well, that site is in New South Wales. I was hoping you'd got an American example for me.

I didn't notice that that one wasn't a specifically "American" one. This movement is world-wide, and I have never seen the problem as being an American one for Americans. Western (and Eastern/Asian) culture influences everywhere; geographical considerations are not boundaries.

quote:
    I'm pleased to learn your bishop has not asked her to repent specifically. (Your church must be very different to mine. I can't imagine anyone just standing up during the service and thanking God aloud for anything.)
    Very different. We "testify" of our spiritual knowledge, and of our blessings. It is called "fast and testimony" meeting, held on the first Sunday of each month.

quote:
    What I'm trying to work out is whether you think there is any problem with a bisexual person, when setting out to form such a relationship, considering members of both sexes.
    Maybe to that individual. Of course, there are bisexual people who marry and stay faithfully married the rest of their lives. Their sexual temptations are part of the challenge of staying married, like anyone else.

quote:
    (Viewzone.com does not appear to be a site hosting reputable scientific research. I would characterise it as a tertiary source, akin to an encyclopedia, and written from a decidedly populist and sensationalist standpoint.)
    Again, I am no scientist, nor scholar (although some people I know have erroniously applied that "title" to me, because I read and write a lot). I wouldn't know a difference on first acquaintence, between a scholar or the writer of articles for encyclopedias. But then, what's wrong with getting general knowledge out of an encyclopedia. You got summat against Britannica?

quote:
    I am sorry, once again, for getting too personal. Louise's reprimand was correct.

T.

That's okay then. Glad we aren't hyperventilating on either side of the Pond
    infinite_monkey
    Shipmate
    # 11333

quote:
    quote:

No trouble at all. It took me all of half an hour to open a few Webpages and quickly read enough to at least know that the authors were talking about the subjects. I didn't worry very much of they were close to a majority opinion or "out there." The point I was making by posting the links was, that there is evidence (where some here claimed there was zero, in one case) and sound reasoning behind why people believe what they believe. Just because a majority of opinion may be against them does not mean that they are necessarily wrong; and certainly doesn't mean that they don't have well-thought out reasons why they believe as they do.

Okay, that's the problem: "No worries, half an hour" can back up pretty much any argument anyone cares to make. No, one can't discount, out of hand, the idea that there is evidence and sound reasoning behind why people might espouse views such as those you advance. However, you have given us a disingenuous website by a discredited psychiatrist, an e-passage from an e-tabloid largely devoted to paranormal investigation, and the opinions of a friend who likes NPR. I would argue that these sources do not yet provide the evidence and sound reasoning you invoke.

quote:

Your arguments just aren't standing up to the light of objective research and lived experiences:... That sounds rather rhetorical to me. "Lived experiences", what's that supposed to imply? That you have to be queer to "get it?" Or, that you have to have a boatload of queer friends, workmates, and neighbors, to "get it?"

No. But it helps to know the people whose lives are impacted by the views you hold and the policies you favor. Your beliefs on how homosexuals and bisexuals conduct their sex lives, for example, seem far removed from what myself and many others on this thread recognize in ourselves and our communities. Imagine the preconceptions a secular progressive Californian such as myself might have about Mormonism: do you fit them? I doubt it. I ask that you recognize that this may equally apply to the groups you don't often run with.

quote:
    You don't think society is harmed by promiscuity? It doesn't matter a bit, if I said it incorrectly. (I often write incorrectly, but appreciate your making it clear to me how I am in error.) You evidently understand what I am trying to communicate.

You misunderstand me. I do think wanton, nonconsensual promiscuity can be harmful . Where I disagree, strongly, is in the assumption you seem to be making that there is no sane middle ground available between celebacy and promiscuity: the conflation you've made of "uncelebate" with "promiscuous".

quote:
    Uncelebate homosexuals, imho, harm society.

How? I can't see this without specifics: harm society more than reparative therapy harmed the people who committed suicide when it didn't take? More than Socarides presumably (by your standards) harmed his first three wives before taking the fourth one? More than uncelebate hetrosexuals?

quote:

Legally, I recognize that they should be allowed to cohabit, even "marry" (get civilly united). And all I am saying is that anyone (hetero, homo or deviant sexual) who does not abide by an agreed upon societal moral standard, is living outside of society's expectations.

Agreed upon by whom? Immoral in whose eyes? And are you then saying that anyone living outside of society's expectations is then actively "harming" society?

quote:

I think that is obvious that promiscuous behavior is wrong and harmful; and any place where homosexuals are allowed to "marry" they should be doing it at once rather than indulging in sex for pleasure and not for bonding relationships.

Fair enough: thanks for articulating your opinion. Mine differs. The world continues spinning. The only place where this gets sticky is when one person's view of "they should" turns into another person's lived experience of "you must". Not likely here: I don't think anyone would have much success getting numerous countries throughout the world to legistlate accordingly.

quote:
    It is too bad, that the vast majority of Judeo-Christians agree, that sex for procreation is the only righteous sexual expression. That is the split that I first addressed on the Ingham thread. Of course, you will want me to back up "vast majority". I can't, anymore than you can refute it. Most people are fence sitters to begin with. This "cause" is still polarizing the majority one way or the other. People who never had to consider the cause of homosexual equal rights now have it in their face, and many are still trying to sit comfortably behind their ages-old tradtional denouncement of homosexuality, vis-a-vis Paul mainly.

And here's where we hit the ultimate brick wall. My advocacy for
    full participation of non-celebate homo- and bi-sexuals in society is based on my ability to read that paragraph, put myself back in time 200 years, switch some words around, and get a tidy little defense of slavery or women's non-suffrage. I believe that society will, in time, move past its current obsession with qualifying love by genital contrast. And be the better for it. Others believe that doing so invites the Apocalypse.

Given that neither view has been borne out over time, all we've really got is our feelings, our experiences, our faith, and the things from outside that we use to ground those things. I'm curious about whether your view is amenable to change in the light of what others (more clever and more diplomatic than I, I'm afraid) have shared with you over the course of this debate.

--------------------

mdijon
    Shipmate
    # 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    quote:
    I supplied a quick reference to studies that observed this happening in very controlled situations.

I couldn't find those in the very long and rambling article you linked to. Can you quote the section?

--------------------

MerlintheMad
    Shipmate
    # 12279

quote:
    quote:
    I never said, nor do I believe, that local high human population density results in those places having more homosexuals: I am addressing world-wide population only, which we all know is too high and getting critically so.

The problem with this backpedal is that while an organism may sense and possibly be affected by local population density, an organism can't sense the total world-wide population of its kind (if at all). In fact, humans are probably the only species on the planet that actually knows (ok, estimates) its total numbers. OliviaG
    It isn't a "back-pedal". That is the understanding I had in mind the first time I mentioned population having an effect on homosexual behavior: world-wide population. Because we ARE aware of it, and it affects us emotionally over an extended period. Guilt, worry, fear, anxiety, are all stressful emotions.

It appears that perhaps the stress of the mother while pregnant affects the hypothalamus:

quote:
    Autopsies showed that the relative size and configuration of this master gland is different in males and females. Further research indicated that the hypothalamus in homosexual men was significantly different from that of "straight" (heterosexual) men (see Science, 253: 1034-1037, 1991).
    Experimentation on rat populations, where the first-trimester females were put under stress, showed that their male offspring exhibited higher incidence of homosexual behavior:

quote:
    It is therefore possible that while the body and organs of an animal can be a "male," the brain can coincidentally be "female." This extreme reaction to maternal stress even has a very logical and natural purpose. Sensing that a population is under the stress of crowding or poor living conditions, nature provides this hormonal mechanism as a means to limit population growth and thereby reduce the cause of the stress. Homosexual behavior results in less offspring than heterosexual behavior.

Our awareness of world-wide over-population, over an extended period of time, could be having a similar effect upon humans, as their mothers feel the stresses of being pregnant sufficiently to alter the development of the hypothalamus in their unborn children.

And stress is stress; over-population is just one of a meriad sources for too much stress on pregnant mothers. I would pick a far more stressful factor, as the prime culprit in increased homosexual behavior: most mothers being compelled to work outside the home. Fewer and fewer mothers are simply home-makers, but must work long hours just to help make ends meet: or worse still, as the sole source of income for single mothers. The increased stress of working while pregnant could be sufficient cause of altered hypothalamus development in the unborn.

MerlintheMad
    Shipmate
    # 12279

quote:

quote:
    MerlintheMad:
    It is too bad, that the vast majority of Judeo-Christians agree, that sex for procreation is the only righteous sexual expression. That is the split that I first addressed on the Ingham thread. Of course, you will want me to back up "vast majority". I can't, anymore than you can refute it. Most people are fence sitters to begin with. This "cause" is still polarizing the majority one way or the other. People who never had to consider the cause of homosexual equal rights now have it in their face, and many are still trying to sit comfortably behind their ages-old tradtional denouncement of homosexuality, vis-a-vis Paul mainly.

And here's where we hit the ultimate brick wall. My advocacy for
    full participation of non-celebate homo- and bi-sexuals in society is based on my ability to read that paragraph, put myself back in time 200 years, switch some words around, and get a tidy little defense of slavery or women's non-suffrage. I believe that society will, in time, move past its current obsession with qualifying love by genital contrast. And be the better for it. Others believe that doing so invites the Apocalypse.

Yes. That "split" in society. You seem to think (hope) that "genital contrast" is at the root of our problem with perspective. It is much more deep seated than that, I think. But under the American system, we are already committed to allowing sexual preference between consenting adults to be legal in all of its meriad forms. It's just a matter of time. And then we shall see, I reckon.

quote:
    Given that neither view has been borne out over time, all we've really got is our feelings, our experiences, our faith, and the things from outside that we use to ground those things. I'm curious about whether your view is amenable to change in the light of what others (more clever and more diplomatic than I, I'm afraid) have shared with you over the course of this debate.
    I don't think my views have been clearly understood: probably because this subject polarizes people like few others, and when someone chimes in with "there is this split in society over homosexuality that will never go away", the writer is instantly pegged as a rabid homophobe. I have been battling upstream ever since on this forum.

Suscinctly as I can manage, here's what I live by (and advocate), regarding the sexual morality differences of my fellow creatures living all around me:

1. Sexual preference is largely uncontrollable. But everyone is responsible for their actions: we are not animals with instinct ruling our actions. We are a species which reasons.

2. There will be no legalized special groups who get to behave without consideration of everyone's civil rights. "Sexual abuse" will have clear legal definitions which apply to everyone.

3. No religious perspective will be installed as the law of the land. Religious definitions of what is sexually moral will not be the basis of the legal definitions of what is permissible sexual behavior between consenting adults.

4. Any consenting adults who wish to do so, may unite themselves together under the bonds, advantages, privileges and legal obligations of a civilly recognized union. Such legally recognized unions will not be different on the basis of gender or any other considerations. (I am not going to go into the qualifying aspects that must be met before people get civilly united; but they would include blood typing for heterosexuals, other medical considerations, and so forth.)

5. No one is to be considered lewd or indecent in public on the basis of casual physical contact, such as holding hands, kissing, etc. "Indecent" behavior in public is still defined as touching/fondling of the "erogenous zones" of the human body, without gender considerations whatsoever. (This last is going to have to be legally addressed on the basis of heterosexual conservatives getting all upset at the sight of two men holding hands and kissing on the lips in the mall or movies. Gooses, ganders, and those who are frankly -- in my opinion -- confused, will get equal treatment under the civil laws. Ah, the changes to come....)

MerlintheMad
    Shipmate
    # 12279

quote:
    Originally posted by mdijon:
    quote:
    I supplied a quick reference to studies that observed this happening in very controlled situations.

I couldn't find those in the very long and rambling article you linked to. Can you quote the section?
    quote:
    In a paper published almost a quarter of a century ago, a research psychologist at Villanova University was also puzzled about gender. Dr. Ingebog Ward was studying the sexual behavior of rats, years before the role of the hypothalamus was even suspected of gendering human brains. She divided a group of pregnant rats into three groups. Suspecting that something special might be happening in the early stages of pregnancy, she subjected the first group to stress during the first ten days of gestation by irritating the mother rats to bright lights, noise and annoying vibrations. Ten days in a rat's pregnancy corresponds to the first trimester (3 months) of a human pregnancy. The second group was subjected to stress towards the end of their pregnancy, just before birth. The third group was comprised of male offspring from both prenatal stressed mothers and unstressed mothers. These babies were subjected to the same stress producing stimuli.

Dr. Ward then allowed all the males to grow to adulthood without further interference. She then placed each group of males in cages with healthy females to observe if their ability and desire to mate with normal adult females. Here is what happened.

"Abstract: Male rats were exposed to prenatal (i.e. before they were born) or postnatal (after they were born) stress, or both. The prenatally stressed males showed low levels of male copulatory behavior and high rates of female lordotic responding. Postnatal stress had no effect. The modifications are attributed to stress-mediated alterations in the ratio of adrenal to gonadal androgens during critical stages of sexual differentiation. Specifically, it appears that stress causes an increase in the weak adrenal androgen, androstendione, from the maternal fetal adrenal cortices, or both, and a concurrent decrease in the potent gonadal androgen, testosterone."
    Parental Stress Feminizes and Demasculizes the Behavior of Males, Science, January 7, 1972 (83-84).

Her findings showed that if a mother is stressed during the early stages of pregnancy, she will release an adrenaline related hormone into her own bloodstream and that of her unborn baby. This hormone, called androstendione, is structurally similar to testosterone, the male hormone. If the baby carries "XY" chromosomes and is destined to become a male, testosterone needs to be active when the Central Nervous System (including the hypothalamus) is being formed. This is the only way that the CNS "knows" to develop along male lines. Because the stress hormone seems to bind to the receptors that would normally be receiving testosterone, there is the delay or blockage of the effectiveness of testosterone, even if it is plentiful.

"The resulting alterations in sexual behavior provide the basis for an effective population control mechanism, since offspring so affected would not possess the behavioral repertoire necessary to contribute to population growth. Thus, the environment, by triggering an adrenal stress response, may control the reproductive capacity of successive generations of differentiating fetuses and, thereby, population size."

Admittedly, there is no direct mentioning of over-population being one of the stresses that the pregnant female rats were subjected to. But as I observed above, "stress is stress", by whatever source(s). And we are highly stressed; mainly from just trying to get ahead and stay ahead, which involves more and more pregnant women in the workplace under less than voluntary conditions.

Just check out how many Websites address the overpopulation cause in the increase in homosexuality:

overpopulation homosexuality

mdijon
    Shipmate
    # 8520

quote:
    Admittedly, there is no direct mentioning of over-population being one of the stresses that the pregnant female rats were subjected to.

Exactly. It's rather a leap to go from what was probably quite an extreme form of stress in these experiments to over-population.

And also rather a leap to go from this second hand account to a proper report of the study in a journal.

I expect you would find that if you clicked on any of the results of your google search, you would find similar problems - no real hard scientific data at the bottom of it.

--------------------

Eliab
    Shipmate
    # 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    quote:
    And stress is stress; over-population is just one of a meriad sources for too much stress on pregnant mothers. I would pick a far more stressful factor, as the prime culprit in increased homosexual behavior: most mothers being compelled to work outside the home. Fewer and fewer mothers are simply home-makers, but must work long hours just to help make ends meet: or worse still, as the sole source of income for single mothers. The increased stress of working while pregnant could be sufficient cause of altered hypothalamus development in the unborn.

Again, isn't this argument inconsistent with your original position that homosexuality (and heterosexuality) is a learned behaviour? Pre-natal stress which causes altered hypothalamus development which is expressed in statistical changes in sexual orientation suggests a biological, rather than a social, cause for
    homosexuality.

That is, leaving aside the observation that evidence that pre-natal stress is one possible cause homosexual expression in rats is no evidence at all that the same thing is the cause of all or most homosexual behaviour in humans. And morally speaking - I can't see that it matters a jot. If someone is attracted to men because his brain is wired that way, what difference does it make to how he should act, whether the wiring was done by a genetic pre-disposition, a pre-natal influence or a post-natal experience (or, indeed, any combination thereof)?

--------------------
    "Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
    Horseman Bree
    Shipmate
    # 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    And I have to add my agreement to that last comment by eliab.

Merlin can (and, unfortunately does!) write vast amounts of ill-informed twaddle about predispositions or whatever, and the rest of you can try to deal with the misinformation and intentional digressions, but the point of the whole thread is to discuss what homosexuals might do in relation to the practise of Chrictianaiyt, and what the other practitioners might feel about this.

It doesn't matter in the slightest why some rats aren't interested in putting tab A into slot B.

Actual people do have this other orientation, including, I might add, that King James whose translation of the Bible is so beloved of the literalists. And almost all actions by church people in relation to this are misguided or hurtful or actively violent, despite the preaching of the founder of their belief system about exhibiting love to your neighbour.

I know that certain behaviours cannot be condoned by the church, and that this specific behaviour is in an arguable grey area.

But we do not attack gluttons or drunks or even (usually male) sexual predators over their behaviours. No, we "reach out to them in love". But we choose to attack a very small group for doing or just thinking about one specifc set of behaviours.

We accept that men high up in the management of our churches can have dismissive or even nasty attitudes to women, and we do nothing but allow these men to continue being dismissive or nasty. But we (often violently) attack those who even suggest that differently-oriented people are actually worth something in the eyes of the Lord.

Unless you are going to attempt to deal with this, why are you cluttering an already too-long thread with pointless verbiage?

--------------------
    It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
    Teufelchen
    Shipmate
    # 10158

quote:
    Originally posted by Horseman Bree:
    Unless you are going to attempt to deal with this, why are you cluttering an already too-long thread with pointless verbiage?

Because this is a wide-ranging thread, covering a multitude of issues, technical, moral, personal and practical, around Christianity and homosexuality.

I'd much rather Merlin had this arena to expound his views than see him stifled because he's not eyeball-deep in church politics.

T.

--------------------
    Little devil

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  72  73  74  75  76  77  78  ...  92  93  94 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
     - Printer-friendly view
    Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016