homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Dead Horses   » Homosexuality and Christianity (Page 93)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  90  91  92  93  94 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Homosexuality and Christianity
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you Martin. For your awareness and understanding.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Martin

I wasn't sure if your post was some kind of response to what I'd said, or if you just felt inspired to reveal your childhood attitudes, but I'm glad you got over whatever it was that made you a bully. I was picked on at school, but I'm sure it was nothing like what happened to this boy.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
Martin

I wasn't sure if your post was some kind of response to what I'd said, or if you just felt inspired to reveal your childhood attitudes, but I'm glad you changed.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
More the latter. My niece introduced me to her girlfriend yesterday. They're very sweet. I hugged them both. Felt nothing but goodwill toward them. I haven't the FAINTEST idea WJWD. All I know is everything is redeemed and all will be well. How I explain it all to my 82 year old mother when they get engaged ... [Smile] A duty put on me by muh sister, bless her.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

- Posted      Profile for Hawk   Author's homepage   Email Hawk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't know whether to post on this thread or the other one on the Pastor's Testimony. But as this is a tangent to that and more generally about Homosexuality ad Christianity, I'm going for this one. Hope this is okay.

There's been an article in the Guardian about Vaughan Roberts testimony,

It starts by saying that: "A further layer of irony and pain is added to the situation because his interviewer, Julian Hardyman, leads a Cambridge Baptist church where his predecessor was chased out of the job for coming out and announcing he had a partner."

However, this is a deliberate obfuscating of the issue. Roy Clements apparently left his wife for another man (a member of his congregation), which led to him resigning as pastor. My question is, surely, everyone from both sides of the debate can agree that this sort of behaviour is incompatible with being a pastor of a church, whether the person he leaves his wife for is a man or a woman. Yet, now his case is being used as an example of homophobia within the evangelical church. Is this right?

Furthermore, regarding marriages in general, do people think that a Christian is allowed to leave their spouse without compunction if they are homosexual? Are the marriage vows invalidated if one of the partners is secretly homosexual when making them, or discovers their homosexual attractions later?

--------------------
“We are to find God in what we know, not in what we don't know." Dietrich Bonhoeffer

See my blog for 'interesting' thoughts

Posts: 1739 | From: Oxford, UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You might have to think that he had the SSA from the start, but got married to a lady to hide that - which was pretty well guaranteed to end in tears, BTW.

There are two questions there: what is the attitude to divorce? and: what is the attitude to SSAs?

If the church in question can deal with the first one, despite there being direct teaching from Jesus opposing that, it doesn't matter what they think about SSAs, about which Jesus said nothing.

There is a different can of worms if he marries "for convenience" to a lady that doesn't want to do sex with him, while allowing him to do whatever on the side (and presumably for her to do the parallel activity)

That attitude to marriage would at least show honesty between the partners, unlike the church (generis) which often doesn't accept honesty.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hawk:
I didn't know whether to post on this thread or the other one on the Pastor's Testimony. But as this is a tangent to that and more generally about Homosexuality ad Christianity, I'm going for this one. Hope this is okay.

There's been an article in the Guardian about Vaughan Roberts testimony,

It starts by saying that: "A further layer of irony and pain is added to the situation because his interviewer, Julian Hardyman, leads a Cambridge Baptist church where his predecessor was chased out of the job for coming out and announcing he had a partner."

However, this is a deliberate obfuscating of the issue. Roy Clements apparently left his wife for another man (a member of his congregation), which led to him resigning as pastor. My question is, surely, everyone from both sides of the debate can agree that this sort of behaviour is incompatible with being a pastor of a church, whether the person he leaves his wife for is a man or a woman. Yet, now his case is being used as an example of homophobia within the evangelical church. Is this right?

Furthermore, regarding marriages in general, do people think that a Christian is allowed to leave their spouse without compunction if they are homosexual? Are the marriage vows invalidated if one of the partners is secretly homosexual when making them, or discovers their homosexual attractions later?

The Guardian article is helpful and hopeful.

Re breaking up your marriage for another man, I know two gay men who've stayed with their wives one remains celibate within and without the marriage; the other has developed a sort of 'open relationship.

both are christians of considerable maturity and integrity and i bet they are the tip of an iceberg of unknowns.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

- Posted      Profile for Hawk   Author's homepage   Email Hawk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:
There is a different can of worms if he marries "for convenience" to a lady that doesn't want to do sex with him, while allowing him to do whatever on the side (and presumably for her to do the parallel activity)

That attitude to marriage would at least show honesty between the partners, unlike the church (generis) which often doesn't accept honesty.

Honesty between the partners perhaps, though not before God, and not before the church community who is being asked to witness and support the lie of a marriage. If this was done by a couple in full knowledge and forethought, for the sole purpose of decieving others and creating a sham marriage, I'd consider it very poor indeed.

--------------------
“We are to find God in what we know, not in what we don't know." Dietrich Bonhoeffer

See my blog for 'interesting' thoughts

Posts: 1739 | From: Oxford, UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

- Posted      Profile for Pre-cambrian   Email Pre-cambrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it very poor on their part, or is it very poor on the part of a church that because of its hostile attitude to gays forced them into that situation in the first place? That would still justify the Guardian in making a connection between Roy Clements and church homophobia.

--------------------
"We cannot leave the appointment of Bishops to the Holy Ghost, because no one is confident that the Holy Ghost would understand what makes a good Church of England bishop."

Posts: 2314 | From: Croydon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hawk:
Furthermore, regarding marriages in general, do people think that a Christian is allowed to leave their spouse without compunction if they are homosexual?

Most of the gay men I know who've ended their marriages didn't do it 'without compunction'. They'd married their best female friends in the wild hope that it would work, and the LAST thing they wanted to do was upset their wives when they finally had to admit that it wasn't working.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This would include Gene Robinson, since the separation was done amicably with his wife and children. Or so they say, and that is (entirely) their business.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aelred of Rievaulx
Shipmate
# 16860

- Posted      Profile for Aelred of Rievaulx   Email Aelred of Rievaulx   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Like Orfeo said - it is very rarely that I have come across gay men, and never across a Christian gay man, who has ended his marriage in a cavalier way. There is a huge amount of pain involved in coming out to oneself, and then to wife and family, and then working out what is the best thing to do in the circumstances. Married gay men agonise about the pain they are causing (have caused, will cause) just as much as the pain they are experiencing.

It might be thought that the common thing is to leave one's wife for another man (this was the gossip when I left - entirely false as it happened - there was no one else involved) - but this is rather a rare occurence.

There are multiple factors that need considering. Children, and their ages and stages come first. Men contemplating this kind of disclosure when they have children are probably also wanting to make sure that the children's life style is disrupted as little as possible - there may be complicated financial considerations to go through.

Then wives - why should they be condemned to a sexless marriage from someone who likes/loves them, but perhaps no longer "in that way"? Some couples feel that they can continue without a sexual side to their marriage, but that is not for everyone. Knowledge of the husband's sexuality on the part of the wife makes it possible for her to have her own views and opinions about the choices that they will make.

Then there is the man himself - and what he feels he can bear. It may be that the years of repression and pretence have taken a heavy toll, and he can no longer go on pretending to be straight. And then there is the wider family considerations - elderly parents, other relatives, and the burden of disappointing and hurting them.

All of it is best done through candid conversation. The trouble is that lots of Christian's experience of church makes this the very last thing couples who are struggling with this in the inside of their marriages are likely to be able to discuss calmly and dispassionately. Nor does it seem like the kind of thing that you can talk about in Church contexts. Who will give you dispassionate and non-judgemental support while you work out what is a rather unusual human dilemma (without telling you what Christians OUGHT to do)?

All this makes leaving your wife as a gay married Christian man about as far from skipping off hand in hand with a boyfriend into a pink sunset as could be imagined. I know; I have been through it. Six years on I can say that everyone is ok, and all are doing very well - and, importantly (for me anyway), there is not one of us whose struggles I think any of us put down to what happened over my coming out and the end of a marriage.

--------------------
In friendship are joined honor and charm, truth and joy, sweetness and good-will, affection and action. And all these take their beginning from Christ, advance through Christ, and are perfected in Christ.

Posts: 136 | From: English Midlands | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carex:
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
...I always had my money on the Mormons to flip from "gays can't marry" to being the first to say "Gays must get married and raids little Mormons"...

My impression of gay Mormons isn't that "gays can't marry", but rather that they are expected to marry heterosexually and raise a family like everyone else. But I must admit to be working from a very small sample set.
That's the current position. But I was talking about same sex marriage, as opposed to gays marrying opposite gender partners. Right now, it's forbidden.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Reading anadromously: St. Deird [Overused]

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

I suppose that I should be pleased that the RC Archbishop in Minnesota did not want to alienate anyone , but has he no clue about how people actually react?

quote:
He initiated an eight year attack, pitting a heterosexual majority against a homosexual minority to prevent the democratic process from working in the minority’s favor.
but

quote:
I think it is instead like a man who has brutally tried to cripple and rob you, coming to shake hands after he has finally failed, congratulating himself on his attempt on your life. He even says he isn’t finished with you yet. But try not to be alienated. . . .

Another strike against the RC church as a moral arbiter, ISTM

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But wait Horseman Bree; there's more
From the Daily Dish

quote:
And so in Minnesota, a 17-year-old Catholic, Lennon Cihack, who goes to mass weekly, and who was diligently preparing for his confirmation, posted on his Facebook page a picture of himself and a poster opposing the Amendment. His mother is then called into the rectory by the local priest and told that the confirmation cannot occur. Then she is told that the entire family is now barred from communion. She appeals to the bishop. He tells her that if Lennon stands in front of the whole congregation and denounces marriage equality, he can be confirmed. The priest in question has denied barring Lennon from confirmation, but does not dispute any of the facts of the case. Meanwhile, of course, Lennon's Facebook page is brimming with likes from his class-mates who are still being confirmed
Now why would you think that there might be alienation? [Snigger]
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

I can remember a comment made by Jean Chretien, back before he became Prime Minister of Canada, to the effect that his father had been denied Communion by the local priest.

The reason? His father was a Liberal Party organiser, at a time when the proto-Fascist Union Nationale Party had control of the province of Quebec, strongly supported by the (proto-Fascist?) RC church hierarchy

One may note that, within a generation, the Liberals, aided by some strongly-Catholic people such as the Jesuit-trained Pierre Trudeau, took control of the province in the Quiet Revolution.

The general population basically gave up on the RC church at about this time

And Trudeau, as Justice Minister, famously said: "The State has no business in the bedrooms of the nation". He went on to give us the Charter of Rights and Freedoms and our bright new shiny Constitution, which, unlike the US one, actually guarantees freedom and equality (despite the rather desperate attempts of our present Conservative government and the proto-Fascist and fundamentally-religious Minister of Justice of the moment.)

Governments defeat themselves, and it now becomes apparent that religious hierarchies do the same.

[ 17. November 2012, 11:20: Message edited by: Horseman Bree ]

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sigh...apparently supporting civil same-sex marriages warrants being denied the Sacraments:

Catholic teen denied confirmation

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
More the latter. My niece introduced me to her girlfriend yesterday. They're very sweet. I hugged them both. Felt nothing but goodwill toward them. I haven't the FAINTEST idea WJWD. All I know is everything is redeemed and all will be well. How I explain it all to my 82 year old mother when they get engaged ... [Smile] A duty put on me by muh sister, bless her.

The 94 year old matriarch of my father's side has her definite views of what is Right and Wrong. However, family is family and she accepts all, even when she disapproves. Hopefully your mother feels the same.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Saw this on the BBC news website.

quote:
A mass for gay and lesbian Catholics has been held for the last time in central London because the Church says it goes against its views on sexuality.

The leader of the Roman Catholic Church in England and Wales said it conflicted with religious teachings on sexuality.
The masses have been held at Our Lady of the Assumption Church in Warwick Street, Soho, for the last six years.

Seems strange to suddenly stop something that's been going on for more than half-a-decade. Is the RC church digging its heels in as same sex marriage starts to look more and more likely.

Anyone here a congregant there or have any thoughts?

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by luvanddaisies:

quote:
A mass for gay and lesbian Catholics has been held for the last time in central London because the Church says it goes against its views on sexuality.

The leader of the Roman Catholic Church in England and Wales said it conflicted with religious teachings on sexuality.
The masses have been held at Our Lady of the Assumption Church in Warwick Street, Soho, for the last six years.

Seems strange to suddenly stop something that's been going on for more than half-a-decade. Is the RC church digging its heels in as same sex marriage starts to look more and more likely.

My first thought was they've lost another segment of their congregation. I do hope they can find another church home and aren't turned off completely to Christianity.

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

quote:

FWIW, this report follows on from this report, back in early January 2013.

quote:
(this) church will be dedicated during Lent to the Personal Ordinariate of Our Lady of Walsingham, a group set up by Pope Benedict XVI in 2011 for Anglicans who defect to Roman Catholicism.
Whether or not the impending transfer of premises has any actual bearing on the suspension of the masses in question is not made clear...

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another earlier BBC article here makes it seem like a not-really-thought-through thing;

quote:
"The emphasis is on pastoral care. Sometimes people come here and have tears in their eyes, because for the first time, two really important parts of their lives have come together: their Catholicism and their sexual identity."
from the earlier article, linked to in this post

quote:
The Archbishop of Westminster has asked organisers of the service in Soho to instead concentrate on providing pastoral care.
from today's article, linked to in my earlier post

So, bit of a failure there then.

The BBC website seem to be slightly implying that the archbishop's involvement in the campaign against equal marriage has at least some bearing on the change of opinion.

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

orfeo

# 13878

HOW exactly does it go against their views? By not condemning them each week as they walk through the door and ordering them to repent? Is that it?

It seems quite bizarre to say that it has something to do with homosexual activity not being consistent with church teaching, unless the church had become a sex-on-premises venue or was otherwise somehow encouraging sex to occur between participants. Were they worried that by providing Catholic LGBTs with a place to meet other Catholic LGBTs, they were providing them with the means to date when they otherwise would have been wandering around in a state of isolated celibacy?

--------------------

Bostonman
Shipmate
# 17108

- Posted      Profile for Bostonman   Email Bostonman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was an earlier discussion here, assuming it's the same thing (I haven't read the linked articles above).
Posts: 424 | From: USA | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

Where's T'n'T when you want it?
Couple of questions, not really convinced that this is the place to ask them - a link or two would be just fine, if you don't want to write lots of personal experience on a post. It's just Google isn't being my friend.

I've just read Sucking Sherbet Lemons by Michael Carson, and am reading its sequel Benson at Sixty.

The first of the two is set in the late 50s/early 60s, where the protagonist, a teenager called Benson is growing up trying to reconcile being RC with being gay, involving quite a lot of guilt and denial. The second is looking back over his life between the books, him now being sixty.
They're good books - definitely worth a read - a coming of age sort of thing and a reflecting back on stuff sort of thing. Good though - you do get a feel for the characters.

Benson, and other men he knows, seem to be forced by the illegality of homosexuality forced them to have to engage in a fair amount of furtive cottaging. I was wondering whether there was some sort of female equivalent of the covert liasons? What did lesbians do? How did cottaging work (ok, not the physical part of it, I can work that out) - how did people know who was looking for someone and who was just passing through? Did anyone here ever use polari? Was there anywhere in the church then that was sympathetic or remotely helpful? Was it easier for lesbian women than for gay men, or is that a myth? How common do people reckon lavender marriages actually were(/are?)?

Apologies if this little list of questions sounds pretty stupid and/or intrusive, it's not meant to be, it's just, well, it's interesting, and people earlier on this thread have posted some really interesting links and shared some really interesting things. Apologies again if this list of queries is a bit offensive. I've swithered all evening about posting it.

--------------------

Sergius-Melli
Shipmate
# 17462

- Posted      Profile for Sergius-Melli   Email Sergius-Melli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
How common do people reckon lavender marriages actually were(/are?)?

I can't say for anything else, but Lavender marriages were not uncommon. I know of three of the top of my head amongst people I know of that generation and with a bit of looking I would find the evidence of another couple amongst circles I run in occassionally (although I do wonder about the definition of 'lavender marriage' in a couple of the examples I know, since the wife did not know she was acting as the 'beard'...)
Posts: 722 | From: Sneaking across Welsh hill and dale with a thurible in hand | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:
Sigh...apparently supporting civil same-sex marriages warrants being denied the Sacraments:

Catholic teen denied confirmation

Wow, that's awful and horribly zealous of the Priest. I did a Diploma in RE at a Catholic University and the Lecturer said that gay civil marriage was a question of social justice and therefore, should be supported BUT that the Catholic sacrament was always between a man and a woman. THat seemed like a very sensible position to take-sounds like some Priests would excommunicate her for that. [Frown]
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joan the Dwarf:
WARNING! LONG POST!

Sorry, Calvin's granny, the on-line Mardi Gras kind of obscured your qu. [Big Grin]

There's much theological writing out there on the subject, so I'm only going to be able to summarize the arguments, rather than actually argue properly (that would take an even looooooonger post!). Further reading at the end.

The 'bible bullets' commonly used against gays are:

1) Leviticus 18:22: "Do not lie with a man as you lie with a woman - that is detestable"

On a personal note, I have no problem with this. Lying with women is fine by me [Biased]
More seriously, this is part of the Jewish Holiness Code. We are not Jews, we're Christians. As Paul says repeatedly, we don't follow Jewish Law (cf allowing in uncircumsised Gentiles as Christians in NT churches, Peter's dream about eating non-Kosher food "That which I have made clean you shall not call unclean", etc.).

2) Leviticus 20:13 "If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestible."

Ditto as for 1). Also, look at verse 18:it prohibits sleeping with a woman during her period on the same terms. There's also prohibitions against wearing mixed fibre clothing. Anyone got a polycotton shirt on?

3)Genesis 18-19: the story of Sodom and Gomorrah.

The sin isn't one of sodomy, it's about abuse of hospitality and gang-rape. If the men of Sodom were really raging raping pooftahs, would they have accepted Lot's daughter instead of his male guest and raped her until morning? Also, you have to talk very hard to try and get a prohibition against homosexuality out of a judgement against homosexual AND heterosexual gang rapes.

4) Deuteronomy 23:17: "No Israelite man or woman is to become a shrine-prostitute"
5) 1 Kings 14:24: "There were even male shrine-prostitutes in the landl the people engaged in all the detestable practices of the nations the Lord had driven out before the Israelites"
6) 1 Kings 15:12: "He expelled the male shrine-prostitutes from the land"

These all talk about prostitution rather than committed relationships, so say nothing about homosexuality per se.

7) Romans 1:26-17: "Even their women exhanged natural ralations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men"

Finally, something that talks about lesbians!
Paul in Romans is talking mainly to the Jews, and is showing how Christianity is a natural extension of Judaeism, and the law of love the successor to the law of Moses. He starts off by trying to puncture the Jews sense that they are justified by their works by showing that they don't follow even their own laws. Basically, he says: look at these nasty heathen who did all these things that Mosaic Law prohibits (that's the bit where the quote comes from), aren't they bad, oh by the way you're like that. He's using the Jews' ideas against themselves (remember, Paul was VERY well-trained theologically): it would need quite a lot of argument to show from this that he thought homosexuality was wrong.
Other points made are: Paul's talking about hets who do homo practices, ie go against their own natures. And he might be talking about the homosexual practices that went on in Pagan temples.

8) 1 Corinthians 6:9-10: "Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homsexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God."

There is a translation problem here. The relevant bits are: male prostitutes, and homosexual offenders. The Greek is 'malakoi arsenokoitai'. 'Malakoi' means 'soft', but no-one knows what 'arsenokoitai' means - the meaning has been lost. 'Arsen' means 'male', and 'koites' means 'bed' or 'sexual intercourse', but there is no recorded use of 'arsenokoitai' before Paul, so we don't know to what it was referring - temple prostitutes, call-boys, child male prostitutes or what? Taking it to mean simply 'male homosexual' (again, there's nothing about lesbianism here) is a very large assumption. Here, the two words have been translated separately: malakoi as male prositiute, arsenokoitai as homosexual offender, but no-one really knows how to translate it.

9) 1 Timothy 1:9: "We know that law is made not for the righteous but for law-breakers and rebels... for adulterers and perverts,... and whatever else is contrary to sound the sound doctrine"

Again, this is the NIV translation. Again we have 'arsenokoita', translated in this passage as 'perverts'. See above.

10) Jude 7: "Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion"

See 3). Also, Jude does not specify the perversion - it may be referring to the legend that the women of Sodom had sex with angels. Basically, Sodom became a byword for lust and perversion: how you can get from that to a prohibition on loving and monogomous homosexual relations where there is no compulsion or exploitation is beyond me.

AFAIK this is all the bible says that could possibly be interpreted as refering to homosexuality. Do let me know if I've missed anything.

FURTHER READING:
What the bible says about homosexuality

Difference is not a sin

Chapter 2 of 'Issues in Human Sexuality' by the House of Bishops, 1991.

Finally, here's a few other bible quotes to ponder:
"For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believes in him should not perish but have everlasting life." -- John 3:16

"God, who knows the heart, showed that He accepted them by giving the Holy Spirit to them, just as He did to us." --Acts 15:8

"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus." -- Galatians 3:28

"The voice spoke to him a second time, ' Do not call anything impure that God has made clean.'" -- Acts 10: 15

"By your fruits will you know them" --- [can't remember]

"So, my brothers and sisters, you also died to the law through the body of Christ, that you might belong to another, to him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit to God." -- Romans 7:4

"The commandments, 'Do not commit adultery'...[etc]... and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this one rule: Love your neighbour as yourself."

And from the liturgy: "We are the Body of Christ; by one Spirit we were all baptised."

Is the best part of thirteen years too long after the post to say thank you for it?

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

I love that post too - it's so useful. I've used the links and plaguiarised the argument in it more than once.

I don't think Joan the Dwarf posts anymore, which is a pity. Maybe she still lurks. In which case, I'd add my thank you. I once set myself to reading the whole of this thread (I did eventually make it through). There is some great stuff on here - sometimes a bit buried amongst the dross where the same stuff is rehashed again and again and over and over, but there're some bits worth reading - here's one relatively recent example .
During my reading-the-whole-beast marathon, I posted this about my impressions up to there (I'd only got to page 28 by then!).

If there was ever a book of SofF threads, I'd be hoping this one might be in there, along with Fields of Gold and many others.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

Most of that post has been said again, in one form or another, in the years since.

Some of it has been said in the last couple of weeks.

There's not a lot of evidence that the people who most need to listen ever do.

--------------------

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- but some people have changed their opinion. Some people have posted on this thread over the years it's been running and said so, so maybe some people do listen. I think I've probably moved over time to a different number (or combination of numbers) on this list, also posted by Joan the Outlaw Dwarf in 2001 . I know I've used the post Eutychus quoted as a quick reference or even just linked straight to it in the past, so it's been a handy resource for me, so maybe it bears repetition.

This bit from Joan's post I just linked to probably also bears repeating...
quote:

On a slightly more serious note, please remember that you are talking about people and intimate parts of who they are. If you love someone, try and think about how you would feel if someone told you that your feelings for them were sinful or the result of a handicap, and were not proper love. This precious bond that you share with another person is being declared at best second-class. Be aware of this in your arguments; be sensitive to others' feelings.

...although it does seems that you're right that some of those who appear to be the most in need of listening appear to be the least open to doing so.

[ 16. August 2014, 11:02: Message edited by: luvanddaisies ]

--------------------

ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
- but some people have changed their opinion. Some people have posted on this thread over the years it's been running and said so, so maybe some people do listen. I think I've probably moved over time to a different number (or combination of numbers) on this list, also posted by Joan the Outlaw Dwarf in 2001 . I know I've used the post Eutychus quoted as a quick reference or even just linked straight to it in the past, so it's been a handy resource for me, so maybe it bears repetition.

This bit from Joan's post I just linked to probably also bears repeating...
quote:

On a slightly more serious note, please remember that you are talking about people and intimate parts of who they are. If you love someone, try and think about how you would feel if someone told you that your feelings for them were sinful or the result of a handicap, and were not proper love. This precious bond that you share with another person is being declared at best second-class. Be aware of this in your arguments; be sensitive to others' feelings.

...although it does seems that you're right that some of those who appear to be the most in need of listening appear to be the least open to doing so.
This is what I want to scream in the face of those who want to prove their doctrinal purity at my expense.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure if this is the right place to ask about/discuss this, but are there any good articles on dating as an LGBTQA Christian, especially online dating? Just for the sake of interest - I got an email from a Christian dating website saying they were doing some events at Greenbelt and it occurred to me that talking about singleness in the Church while ignoring non-straight single people is massively unfair.

(with her academic interest in social media, it seems like an ideal thing for Ms Beeching to explore!)

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
bump

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Somewhere, but not on this thread, ... possibly not on SOF, only months ago, I'd been sceptical of the proposition that the centurion and his servant were gay lovers.

Not out of latent homophobia, out of being allergic to projection of any kind, but not any more.

--------------------
Love wins

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am skeptical simply because it takes so much -work- to tease out even the possibility. This is the kind of work that no one of sense would ever put into anything in daily life. Occam's razor rules.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Joesaphat
Shipmate
# 18493

- Posted      Profile for Joesaphat   Email Joesaphat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
I am skeptical simply because it takes so much -work- to tease out even the possibility. This is the kind of work that no one of sense would ever put into anything in daily life. Occam's razor rules.

I don't know, Brenda. I came to faith quite late (23), having been brought up Buddhist, and I read classics. The first time I read the Gospels (in Greek, gloat, gloat) that seemed to me a very likely and natural interpretation, if not the likeliest. It's certainly not any of the more frequent words for 'orderlies,' it's not military, and you would not call anyone dear or honoured (entimos) a 'boy'. Perfectly plausible reading, though not conclusive, but then again, what interpretation is?

--------------------
Opening my mouth and removing all doubt, online.

Posts: 418 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2015  |  IP: Logged
Joesaphat
Shipmate
# 18493

- Posted      Profile for Joesaphat   Email Joesaphat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Moreover, I would also note that Luke used “doulos” where Matthew used the word “pais.” Since it is generally agreed that he wrote for Gentile readers, he may very well have seen the ambiguousness or salaciousness of the term (in his eyes) and corrected it.

--------------------

Joesaphat
Shipmate
# 18493

quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
Somewhere, but not on this thread, ... possibly not on SOF, only months ago, I'd been sceptical of the proposition that the centurion and his servant were gay lovers.

Not out of latent homophobia, out of being allergic to projection of any kind, but not any more.

Nah, his arguments don't wash. Sure enough, Roman military could not marry whilst serving in the army, by imperial decree... but most (to use an anachronism) 'gay' men in the ancient world were also married. Bi-sexuality was the assumption. And this centurion was most probably not in active service anymore as the whole scene is set in Galilee, which was not occupied, so he had settled down.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Duhhhh. Om confused. Apart from generally. If Luke, a gentile writing for gentiles, deliberately used a neutral term and the first of your three posts apparently agrees with the proposition, then your piercingly scholarly disagreement with the link is on his reasoning, but not his conclusion?

--------------------
Love wins

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Martin--

quote:

Wow! I'd never heard of this. Thanks for the link.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Joesaphat
Shipmate
# 18493

quote:
Duhhhh. Om confused. Apart from generally. If Luke, a gentile writing for gentiles, deliberately used a neutral term and the first of your three posts apparently agrees with the proposition, then your piercingly scholarly disagreement with the link is on his reasoning, but not his conclusion?

Not sure I understand but yes, his conclusion seems plausible but definitely not certain. Some of the arguments he uses to get there however don't convince me at all. And I think it possible that Luke may have seen the ambiguity of Matthew's term and 'corrected' it. The conservative counter-argument that the sick man was the centurion's biological child is equally poor, it seems to me. Though it cannot be refuted (who the hell could know?), it's difficult to see why Luke turns him into a slave, unless you believe that he never set eyes on Matthew's Gospel.

[ 08. December 2016, 07:42: Message edited by: Joesaphat ]

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Martin--

quote:

Wow! I'd never heard of this. Thanks for the link.
quote:
the anti-gay side cannot prove their contention that the centurion and his pais-servant, were not same sex lovers. It is equally impossible to prove to everyone’s satisfaction, that this was a gay centurion and his pais-beloved-gay lover.
Stopped reading there...

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Goldfish Stew
Shipmate
# 5512

- Posted      Profile for Goldfish Stew   Email Goldfish Stew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Call me a skeptic - but if a particular interpretation of a writing analysed to varying extents for nearly 2000 years has only gained any sense of currency in the last century or less, maybe the interpretation is a reflection of the reader rather than the writer.

Trust me, I'd love that passage to be a slam dunk to challenge bible-bashers with. I'm not getting it though

--------------------

Posts: 2405 | From: Aotearoa/New Zealand | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Joesaphat
Shipmate
# 18493

quote:
Originally posted by Goldfish Stew:
Call me a skeptic - but if a particular interpretation of a writing analysed to varying extents for nearly 2000 years has only gained any sense of currency in the last century or less, maybe the interpretation is a reflection of the reader rather than the writer.

Trust me, I'd love that passage to be a slam dunk to challenge bible-bashers with. I'm not getting it though

Truly? Like the notion that death did not after all enter the world because of human sin? That women need not be forbidden to teach? That slavery is a grievous evil and slaves should not virtuously remain in their position? That there aren't seven heavens corresponding to the seven planetary spheres? that demons do not cause illnesses or exorcism cure anything? The list would be very long, Oh, and that the Jews are not a 'synagogue of Satan.'

[ 08. December 2016, 11:34: Message edited by: Joesaphat ]

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Joesaphat the writer of the article themselves admits it doesn't prove things either way. This looks like a classic case of reading our current cultural bugbears back into the text. Arguments on the basis of one word in one passage are hazardous at best.

--------------------

Joesaphat
Shipmate
# 18493

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
Joesaphat the writer of the article themselves admits it doesn't prove things either way. This looks like a classic case of reading our current cultural bugbears back into the text. Arguments on the basis of one word in one passage are hazardous at best.

I agree, actually, but just because it's a contemporary bugbear does not rule out its presence in a text either.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

I'm sorry, but that just smacks of desperation all the more. It sounds like the plea made on a Kerygmania thread that the disciples must have believed in a pre-tribulation secret rapture after which everyone else is Left Behind, they just didn't get around to mentioning it.

[ 08. December 2016, 12:45: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------

Goldfish Stew
Shipmate
# 5512

- Posted      Profile for Goldfish Stew   Email Goldfish Stew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joesaphat:
quote:
Originally posted by Goldfish Stew:

Truly? Like the notion that death did not after all enter the world because of human sin? That women need not be forbidden to teach? That slavery is a grievous evil and slaves should not virtuously remain in their position? That there aren't seven heavens corresponding to the seven planetary spheres? that demons do not cause illnesses or exorcism cure anything? The list would be very long, Oh, and that the Jews are not a 'synagogue of Satan.'
That's another dead horse. Or corral of dead horses.

But to answer your question in the hopes of closing it off - all of those examples are things that caused me consternation (and no small amount thereof) in my Christian days. Not needing to rely on the accuracy or continuity of the bible or the faith has been rather liberating. And for me, more intellectually honest than continually revising tenets of a long established stream of faith but claiming continuity with that.

In my case, it became like a McDs franchise holder who had a menu with something resembling a Big Mac and something akin to a Quarter Pounder, but also a sub, a flame grilled whopper, Colonel burger and a pepperoni pizza on the menu. Sort of anyway.

Which is to say, I don't put a lot of weight on the bible, so don't need to hang my hat on imaginative analysis of a single word.

--------------------

Posts: 2405 | From: Aotearoa/New Zealand | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  90  91  92  93  94 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016