homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Dead Horses   » biblical inerrancy (Page 27)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  ...  42  43  44 

Source: (consider it) Thread: biblical inerrancy
ChristinaMarie
Shipmate
# 1013

- Posted      Profile for ChristinaMarie         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sean D:
I wanted to respond to something Leprechaun said in the "God the pathological killer" thread in purgatory but thought it probably would be too tangential there so here it is:

quote:
Originally posted by Leprechaun in a purgatory thread:
Progressive revelation = OT incomplete BUT NOT MISTAKEN.

This distinction doesn't really work.

• The OT writers did not know everything God was eventually going to reveal about himself.
  • They therefore believed some things about God which God was later to reveal were not the only side of the story.
  • This lack of fuller revelation inevitably means that they are de facto mistaken about stuff.

A good example might be the idea in Deuteronomy and elsewhere in Torah that punishment for sins will be visited by Yahweh on several generations after the sinner. This is explicitly countermanded by both Jeremiah and Ezekiel.

Another one is the idea in early wisdom lit (mostly in Proverbs but also see Psalm 37) that a moral life is rewarded with a good and happy life. This is corrected by Job, which notes drastic exceptions to this accepted truth.

The problem with these examples is that they are general examples that do not apply in every case. Unfortunately I think inerrancy leads one to believe they do apply in every case.

In one sense it isn't true that God visits sins down the generations, but in another sense it is true. Ask any psychotherapist. If a family teaches bad ways of living to its children, it gets passed down the generations until someone decides to break the chain. It is the same with good ways.

God is inerrant, nothing else is, I believe.

God is infallible, nothing else is, I believe.

How does 'God is Love' fit in with the 'pathological God' passages? Well, put yourself in their shoes (or sandals) back then. Enemies all around. Wouldn't God be someone who protects you and helps you in battle? I can see their point, but where it is written that God commnanded the Israelites to slaughter everyone including women and children, I cannot accept that really was God. My relationship with God says otherwise, granted the fuller revelation we have received, plus the different life situation.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but I cannot imagine God being displeased with someone taking the most charitable view of Him, rather than accepting things about Him that are very hard to swallow because they do not fit: 'God is Love'.

If the Bible is a spiritual book that has to be spiritually discerned, does that mean:

1. It is inerrant, so one has to believe everything in it, within its context and genre?

or

2. One has to discern what is true in it?

Love
Christina

Posts: 2333 | From: Oldham | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sean D
Cheery barman
# 2271

- Posted      Profile for Sean D   Author's homepage   Email Sean D   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChristinaMarie:
The problem with these examples is that they are general examples that do not apply in every case. Unfortunately I think inerrancy leads one to believe they do apply in every case.

I guess so. I was citing the examples, however, to make the explicit point that the Bible itself revises these "truths" about God. Thus, the incompleteness of revelation here leads to actual misinformation about what God is like/what he said, which in the fullness of revelation is corrected. Therefore, whilst Scripture as a whole reveals God one cannot pick these passages on their own and say they are accurate, without reference to the rest of Scripture.

--------------------
postpostevangelical
http://www.stmellitus.org/

Posts: 2126 | From: North and South Kensington | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Fish Fish
Shipmate
# 5448

- Posted      Profile for Fish Fish     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I think my time has come. I think in many ways we're reaching stalemate, and coming full circle in many discussions. So I think its time for me to retire, and get back to work! But I'd like to thank you all for helping me think through the issues of inerrancy much more than I ever have done before.

Cheers everyone.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Thought about changing my name - but it would be a shame to lose all the credibility and good will I have on the Ship...

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So that's it then Fish?

You pick up your toys and walk off?

After only 27 pages of this thread?

What will we do with our evenings now?

Mine's a pint.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

- Posted      Profile for Psyduck   Author's homepage   Email Psyduck   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
AARGH! I thought it was starting up againnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Ultra confused]

--------------------
The opposite of faith is not doubt. The opposite of faith is certainty.
"Lle rhyfedd i falchedd fod/Yw teiau ar y tywod." (Ieuan Brydydd Hir)

Posts: 5433 | From: pOsTmOdErN dYsToPiA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And to think....

Only 4 more pages and we'd be up there with "Christianity and homosexuality" [Snigger] [Snigger]

Best stop now then [Big Grin]

Seriously though, thanks FF, Lep, Matt et al, for a stimulating debate. I know it's made me think! You're all [Angel] [Angel] s

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Posts: 3011 | From: A village of gardens | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is the Ship inerrant?

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dyfrig:
Is the Ship inerrant?
--------------------
"An unproofread sig is not worht psoting" - Scorates

No, judging by your sig.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My sig is inerrant in all matters of faith and those things that are essential for salvation. It does not claim to be a definitive handbook on spelling.

--------------------

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And, seriously, with apologies for those who'd prefer to not see anything else posted on this thread, I've been musing on the progressive revelation thing.

First, I would consider incomplete to be, though not necessarily mistake, imperfect and errant (in that some important information is missing). As we all (I assume) accept that the OT is incomplete, in that the NT exists, and especially because in terms of revelation of the nature of God the incarnation is vital. It follows that the OT on it's own is imperfect.

So, it follows ISTM, that inerrancy, if it can be applied at all, can only be applied to the complete revelation of God in it's entirety. Though, that leads to the conclusion that an individual part of that revelation can still be in error without affecting the inerrancy of the whole. Is that making sense?

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

- Posted      Profile for Psyduck   Author's homepage   Email Psyduck   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes indeed! A bunch of us ministers were talking about this very thing last week.

(AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHH!!! It's starting up again!!!)

--------------------

dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:

So, it follows ISTM, that inerrancy, if it can be applied at all, can only be applied to the complete revelation of God in it's entirety.

There's an interesting, if dense, essay by Rowan Williams in his book "On Christian Theology" where he makes the point that all claims about God are, by definition, incomplete and themselves subject to God's judgement; no-one can speak fully of God, and that the Church or any group within it does so at its own peril. Theology - expressed in prayer, praxis, worship, scripture, etc - cannot speak fully because it is not God, so theology can only really be trusted when it acknowledges that it cannot do this.and allows for the fact of its provisional and incomplete nature.

So, unless you are actually God, you can't actually speak the whole truth.

--------------------

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't what Alan's describing infallibility rather than inerrancy?

Or is it one step further? The revelation of God is only infallible/inerrant/as complete as it can be when you take all of it - Scripture, Tradition, the Word made Flesh...

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Yes, it probably is more to do with infallibility than inerrancy. After all, I'm happy to agree to statements of faith refering to "infallibility of Scripture" but wouldn't do so if it said "inerrancy of Scripture". And, yes, people have told me before that that seems to be splitting hairs.

And, yes, I did leave the argument where I did inorder to see if people would take it to the logical conclusion that we don't have the complete inerrant revelation of God ... and won't have until "we fully know, just as we're fully known"

--------------------

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
AAAAARGH! This thread won't die!!!!!!

Seriously, thanks to Jape for your kind comments, which are reciprocated ref all of you.

Yours in Christ

Matt

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

quote:
There's an interesting, if dense, essay by Rowan Williams in his book "On Christian Theology" where he makes the point that all claims about God are, by definition, incomplete and themselves subject to God's judgement; no-one can speak fully of God, and that the Church or any group within it does so at its own peril.
Did this put anyone else in mind of I Corinthians?

--------------------

Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

Or even - what I meant - I Corinthians 13 ...?

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Well, since something said around then led me to a line of thought which concluded with a quote from that chapter, yes there is a possibility that that passage had come to my mind.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fish Fish:
Well, I think my time has come. I think in many ways we're reaching stalemate, and coming full circle in many discussions.

Who could have seen it coming?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
GreyFace
Shipmate
# 4682

- Posted      Profile for GreyFace   Email GreyFace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nice one, Mousethief. I have friends that think Americans don't get irony. Isn't it ironic?

FF, Lep, MB et al, thanks for keeping going so long, but I too am disappointed that we haven't managed to dislodge the other thread from the top of the post count list.

Can't we drag it out for a few more pages?

Posts: 5748 | From: North East England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

Saidyc, how can you be sure that 1 Corinthians 13 can be so authoritative?

--------------------

Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

'Cos it's really nice, and makes me feel good. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

"HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!"
"HELLOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!"
"HELLOOOOO!"
"Hello.."
"Hell...ooo..........."

[Echoes die away. Footsteps recede into distance. A fading voice is heard singing softly:]

"It's quarter to three, there's no one in the place
Except you and me...."

Fade to black...

--------------------

GreyFace
Shipmate
# 4682

- Posted      Profile for GreyFace   Email GreyFace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Trouble is, I think the inerrantists have up and left.

It's all a plot, I tell you.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh sure the current crop have up and left but more will be along presently.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Is that an inerrant announcement MT?
GreyFace
Shipmate
# 4682

An analysis of this thread provides significant evidence in support of the theory.
Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

I think MT is probably making his claim, and maybe even asserting its inerrancy, on the basis of faith, GreyFace. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

...and anyway, we're only 4 pages behind the Homosexuality and Christianity thread now, so here's hoping!

--------------------

GreyFace
Shipmate
# 4682

We need Watchman back. That would be good for another 15 pages or so.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

It was a statement of probability based on past experience, Alan.

--------------------

Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

Well, I kinda' miss 'em... As a card-carrying Protestant, with a correctly installed Calvinist Superego™ I'm always fretting that I don't take Scripture seriously enough. Fencing with these guys - who whatever else one might say, do take Scripture very seriously - reassured me that I do. [Axe murder] [Paranoid] [Ultra confused]

--------------------

Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

Er... that we ALL do.... [Big Grin]

Psyduck: Double-Posting for the Honour of our Thread...

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Or to keep Mousethief's feet out of his throat. [Devil]

--------------------

Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

- Posted      Profile for Leprechaun     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ...psyduck...:
Well, I kinda' miss 'em....
I'm always fretting that I don't take Scripture seriously enough. Fencing with these guys - who whatever else one might say, do take Scripture very seriously - reassured me that I do. [Axe murder] [Paranoid] [Ultra confused]

You're toying with me now...just toying with me. Will.not.get.into.this.again....
Posts: 3097 | From: England - far from home... | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

It's toying with you to claim that we take scripture as seriously as you do? I hope that's not what you meant, L, but that certainly is how it came across.

--------------------

Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

Get your feet out of his throat, Mousethief. I'm pretty clear that's not what he meant.

You don't have an infallible interpretation of the guy's meaning, you know! [Biased]

--------------------

Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

- Posted      Profile for Leprechaun     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
It's toying with you to claim that we take scripture as seriously as you do? I hope that's not what you meant, L, but that certainly is how it came across.

Calm down, calm down Mr sensitive. Just pointing out that you were all sorely tempting me to come back onto this thread. Which I said I wouldn't do. But you've succeeded. I have. AAAAAAAARGH!
[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

--------------------
He hath loved us, He hath loved us, because he would love

Posts: 3097 | From: England - far from home... | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
You don't have an infallible interpretation of the guy's meaning, you know! [Biased]

Granted but only because we orthodox don't use the weasel-word "infallible."

--------------------

Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

You mean you have no concept of infallibility, but if you had, you'd be infallible? [Eek!] How do you know...??? [Ultra confused]

--------------------

Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

See, Leprechaun, now MT and I are toying with each other... [Biased]

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Oh come now we'd never do that, would we?

--------------------

Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

See - you're toying with me... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

"When Dead Horses Decompose..."

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
"When Dead Horses Decompose..."

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

David
naughtily, has not actually read all 27 pages previous to this, he just saw it in "today's posts" and had to see what it was about...

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
See - you're toying with me... [Roll Eyes]

It's like shooting fish in a barrel.

--------------------

Fish Fish
Shipmate
# 5448

- Posted      Profile for Fish Fish     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
It's like shooting fish in a barrel.

Ouch. [Mad]

--------------------
Thought about changing my name - but it would be a shame to lose all the credibility and good will I have on the Ship...

GreyFace
Shipmate
# 4682

Welcome back FF, and happy Easter. Sincerely! Don't look at me like that [Paranoid] [Biased]

I'm off on holiday for a week - please keep the debate going while I'm gone. Here's your topical opener - I believe that those who believe the Resurrection is spiritual and not physical, are still Christians even though a) it contradicts the plain reading of Scripture, b) I disagree with them, but not inerrantly.

That contains enough hooks for another four pages, surely.

Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

Grey Face
quote:
please keep the debate going while I'm gone.
[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

--------------------

GreyFace
Shipmate
# 4682

Nobody wants to play [Waterworks]

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  ...  42  43  44 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016