homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Dead Horses   » biblical inerrancy (Page 30)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  ...  42  43  44 

Source: (consider it) Thread: biblical inerrancy
Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

- Posted      Profile for Psyduck   Author's homepage   Email Psyduck   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Freddy:
quote:
I keep looking for someone who has a similar view of the Bible to mine.
Freddy, I've always been fascinated by your approach to the Bible. In many respects, I've felt that your approach resonates with me, and that mine, however far it may or may not bee from yours, in practice produces Christian undrestandings that aren't too terribly far away. As an exercise, I snipped out the following, your statement of your attitude to the Bible, and italicized the bits I can't agree with.

quote:
I see it as dictated by God, miraculously preserved over time*, and containing divine truth in every letter. It is literally the Word of God.

At the same time it is full of mistaken appearances, literal errors, and inconsistencies. It was written in a form that would be accessible and loved by the people among whom it was written. It presents many false ideas about the nature of God and the nature of good and evil.

However, a person who reads it intelligently and sincerely will be able to see past the literal errors and inconsistencies, and gain true wisdom from it. Its purpose is to teach a person how to love God and the neighbor.

(* I'm not thinking there so much of the miraculous preservation of the text of a book. I'd want to connect its "miraculous preservation" directly with the preservaton of the People of God - and by that, I mean whatever's on the other side of the sense that God's People have of being "brought through" so much. I'd also want to find some way of connecting that with Auschwitz.)

I think possibly my biggest difficulty is still working out what the bits I've italicized and left out actually add to your understanding of the Bible. For me, the most they could amount to, given the other beliefs, which we hold in common, is a belief that the Bible, as it was written, as it came to us, and as we have it, warts and all, (including the uncertainties about its text that textual criticism throws up) is just exactly the way God wants it to be. And from my (very!) Liberal Calvinist background, I tend (maybe like Petaflop) to connect that more with providence and predestination than with a special doctrine of inspiration.

Maybe thinking like this also highlights the question "If we have a doctrine of the Church and some sort of doctrine of providence, do we actually need any sort of doctrine of inspiration?" "If the Bible is just there - and if everything that's just there is there because God wants it to be, do we really need anything more than a stated belief that the Bible is the preserved tradition out of which we have come, and the Holy Spirit can bring it to life for us, and us to life through it?

Yes, I can see the dangers - but maybe these are usefuol questions to ask at this point in the discussion.

BTW - Cheesy:
quote:
It was strangely conforting to think of Jesus forgetting and losing things too and that this was not necessarily a sign of weakness.
I think that's conclusive proof that you're not an Apollinarian in the sense of the discussion on the Evangelical Christology thread. Is what we're talking about here maybe an "Apollinarian" attitude to Scripture in some quarters? (Not you, Freddy!)

--------------------
The opposite of faith is not doubt. The opposite of faith is certainty.
"Lle rhyfedd i falchedd fod/Yw teiau ar y tywod." (Ieuan Brydydd Hir)

Posts: 5433 | From: pOsTmOdErN dYsToPiA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sorry mate, you've lost me in jargon.

C

--------------------
arse

Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

- Posted      Profile for Psyduck   Author's homepage   Email Psyduck   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My take on Apollinarianism would be that it holds that, yes, Jesus was a real human being, but he was/is MOST really God.

My take on a sort of "Scriptural Apollinarianism" would be that it holds that, yes, the Bible is a "human" book, but that its "real" author is God, so it's really a divine book.

Interesting thought - maybe there's a direct relationship between people's Christology and their attitude to the Bible. Maybe for people who tend to think in terms of Jesus as "God in a meat suit" - that the most important thing about Jesus is his divinity, and that his humanity is just something to mention then move on from to the really important stuff - it's important that the Bible is human to the extent that human beings held the pens, but the real point about it is that "God really wrote it".

On this analogy, maybe people for whom the Bible is "just" a collection of human writings might be expected to be close to some of the "Myth of God Incarnate" positions (that was a collection of essays in the 80s, gathered around - well, the title pretty much says it...)

What would correspond to Chalcedonian orthodoxy? Well, maybe a Bible that's completely human and fallible, yet undeniably speaks God as a living presence within it.

I'm not sure, though, from the impression I have of posters here from what they've written on other threads, that this holds. I suspect that a lot of Anglicans and even Orthodox hold a "Chalcedonian" view of Jesus Christ and a "Myth of God" view of Scripture. I suspect that my own view of Scripture is somewhat "lower" than my view of Jesus Christ. (I also think that there are one or two posters here whose view of Scripture is actually a lot "higher" than their vew of JC.)

Maybe we should ask about these disparities within individuals. How does our view of Christ condition our understanding of Scripture and vice versa?

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Psyduck:
Maybe thinking like this also highlights the question "If we have a doctrine of the Church and some sort of doctrine of providence, do we actually need any sort of doctrine of inspiration?" "If the Bible is just there - and if everything that's just there is there because God wants it to be, do we really need anything more than a stated belief that the Bible is the preserved tradition out of which we have come, and the Holy Spirit can bring it to life for us, and us to life through it?

Excellent thought. Yes, to some extent this really does amount to the same thing.

At the same time, if you have the doctrine of the church, and the doctrine of providence, and we accept that it is there because God wants it to be - then why not go the next step and say that God put it there?

I guess the reason is that this seems to violate free will. And, maybe more importantly, the book really does appear to be somewhat haphazardly written over the centuries by many different people according to their own, often flawed, point of view.

So, as I mentioned to Petaflop, I agree that we need a modified idea of the word "dictated" that takes into account that the writer seemed to himself to be writing on his own from his own ideas.

But an added idea that I didn't mention is that I think that there is a demonstrable unity throughout Scripture that involves the consistent use of metaphoric words and actions. This unity is so remarkable - involving such things as the uncannily consistent uses of apparently random numbers such as 17 and 42 - that the more you look into it the more evident it ought to be that the Bible is not a human work.

Still, that aside, I pretty much agree with you that what comes out the other side can be the same, working from any number of different assumptions.

What is important to me is that people have a rational basis for having faith in the Bible, so that they can have the confidence to live by what it teaches. This means accounting for all of the obstacles to belief that are inevitably, and understandably, thrown in the way.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How about: "It's that collection of flawed, very human writings about God, Man, and the interactions between God and Man that God wanted us to have"?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
How about: "It's that collection of flawed, very human writings about God, Man, and the interactions between God and Man that God wanted us to have"?

OK. If that works as far as giving people confidence that this is where you find the path to salvation. [Biased]

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's where I find words about the path to salvation. I find the path to salvation in faith in Christ.

--------------------

Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

I also find myself in the position of looking at Scripture the way I do, and thinking "Why do people who take a "more inspired" or even "inerrantist" view of Scripture feel that mine isn't enough?" What do they feel is missing?" I know that the standard answer to this, from this thread, appears to be that they need to know that the Bible is "inerrantist" or whatever in order to be able to trust it. But if I can trust the God who speaks to me through "the-Bible-as-I-encounter-it", "the-Bible-the-way-it-seems-to-be--warts-and-all", why do I need to be able to trust the Bible in some special, different way?

--------------------

Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

- Posted      Profile for Leprechaun     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I also find myself in the position of looking at Scripture the way I do, and thinking "Why do people who take a "more inspired" or even "inerrantist" view of Scripture feel that mine isn't enough?" What do they feel is missing?"

Because it means that you come to rather different conclusions about other things that are important. The character of God for example.
Posts: 3097 | From: England - far from home... | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

Yes - but the important point, surely, is that if "we" are right (and I don't mean this in an adversarial way, just this side of the argument) then the other side are surely in danger of drawing conclusions about the character of God based on flawed data.

It's the circularity that bothers me. The Bible guarantees our picture of God, who guarantees the Bible, which guarantees our picture of God... I like Jimi Hendrix a lot, but isn't this amount of feedback really quite risky?

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Originally posted by Leprechaun:
quote:
I also find myself in the position of looking at Scripture the way I do, and thinking "Why do people who take a "more inspired" or even "inerrantist" view of Scripture feel that mine isn't enough?" What do they feel is missing?"

Because it means that you come to rather different conclusions about other things that are important. The character of God for example.
I agree.

But I don't think this is necessarily due to being "errantist" or "inerrantist." I don't think an "inerrantist" view of Scripture is actually possible. This view, for example, doesn't help at all in understanding Matthew 24 or the book of Revelation.

The question is really about how people interpret Scripture, or the doctrinal framework from which we understand Scipture. Scripture's relative accuracy of inaccuracy is only one dimension of that framework.

--------------------

Dinghy Sailor

Ship's Jibsheet
# 8507

- Posted      Profile for Dinghy Sailor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why isn't it possible, regarding Revelation? Inerrantist isn't the same as literalist.

--------------------
Preach Christ, because this old humanity has used up all hopes and expectations, but in Christ hope lives and remains.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I learn things from flawed media. Textbooks are not inerrant - does that mean that they are useless?

My baseline is this: even if the text is inerrant (which it is clearly not to my mind) then it is open to interpretation and if it is open to interpretation then it is open to error.

I am not going to be bound to someone's dodgy logic just because they lay a claim to inerrancy.

The bible does not need to be inerrant to be useful any more than the Green Cross code does to help you cross the road.

The real question is then how you decide how to interpret conflicting bits of scripture. For me, that can only be done through the words and actions of the christ. Otherwise it is just meaningless-but-nice-sounding gobbledegook.

I guess that practically, therefore, I have a higher view of Christ than of the bible. I hold that he was Man in every way, including frailty. I hold that he was God in a mysterious and unfathomable way.

C

--------------------
arse

Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

- Posted      Profile for Leprechaun     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yes - but the important point, surely, is that if "we" are right (and I don't mean this in an adversarial way, just this side of the argument) then the other side are surely in danger of drawing conclusions about the character of God based on flawed data.

Yes. Which I assume is why you are having this discussion with me about whether inerrancy is true. If "you" are right, I have a lot of things wrong about God's character. If I am right, the same is true of "you". You asked why I was bothered, that's why - because I think it's important that people have a view of God that is real.

quote:

It's the circularity that bothers me. The Bible guarantees our picture of God, who guarantees the Bible, which guarantees our picture of God... I like Jimi Hendrix a lot, but isn't this amount of feedback really quite risky?

I don't understand your point I am afraid. What has this got to do with me agreeing with your view of God or not?

--------------------
He hath loved us, He hath loved us, because he would love

Posts: 3097 | From: England - far from home... | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Originally posted by dinghy sailor:
Why isn't it possible, regarding Revelation? Inerrantist isn't the same as literalist.

True. Good point. I guess what I mean is that doctrine is often more crucial to understanding Scripture than whether we see it as inerrant or not.

--------------------

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, Lep, Psyduck is capable of answering your question in a much more erudite manner than I, but I think I can explain his point with reference to my own "story", as it were.

I became a Christian in a church which held, pretty much, to an inerrant view of scripture, in practice if not necessarily in theory. Looking back, I can see that one of the things that was most troubling to me is that the "image" which proceeded from an inerrantist understanding of the scripture, was of a God who was, if I can say this with appropriate reverence, somewhat schizophrenic. If the scriptures were "reliable", then God was not.

It was a desire to resolve these problems that led me to investigate the supposed claims of the bible with regard to its' own inerrancy, in relation to what the texts actually claim, which, I submit, is far less.

The point in relation to Psyduck's post, is that if one operates a closed loop type of argument, it can blind one to what would otherwise be obvious. It may well produce a self consistant internal logic, but only by distorting reality outside that logic in order to conform it to the desired model. As John Wimber used to say, "experience changes theology."

I am not saying that anyone here, least of all you, Lep, who I know from these boards to be a sensitive, thoughtful and gracious christian, whose opinion is always worth careful consideration, is guilty of succumbing to that logic. What I am saying is that, once you make that intuitive leap away from the received doctrine of inerrancy, it is possible to come up with equally self-consistant "thought universes" which may even be better at describing the reality of God's interactions with each one of us. Of course, YMMV, but I don't think the world falls apart once you reject inerrancy.

[ 14. November 2005, 13:30: Message edited by: Jolly Jape ]

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Posts: 3011 | From: A village of gardens | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

Actually, Jolly Jape, you said that better than I did!

--------------------

Petaflop
Shipmate
# 9804

- Posted      Profile for Petaflop   Email Petaflop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow - what a lot of good stuff. Mousethief's definition works well for me:
quote:
"It's that collection of flawed, very human writings about God, Man, and the interactions between God and Man that God wanted us to have"?
Yours might Freddy, as long as we can also agree on an understanding of how providence works - or how predestination and free will interact. Unfrotunately I'm not sure I've agreed one with myself yet.
quote:
Originally posted by Jolly Jape:
As John Wimber used to say, "experience changes theology."

Did he now?

And interestingly, I was coming to the conclusion that we have to combine the Bible with our own experience and the experience of those who we see as godly role models.

If 'experience changes theology', and we are allowed to accumulate the experience of others as well as ourselves into some composite collection of wisdom, which for the sake of an argument I'll call 'tradition', then we're all Catholics! Including John Wimber. [Two face]

Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm linking in here these recent exchanges in Kerygmania . In some ways they continue and extend the recent exchanges on this thread.

I think the issue they raise is the meaning of verbal inspiration. Lamb Chopped and Freddy, although describing themselves as inerrantists, seem to me to have a very different take on verbal inspiration to the one found usually in the "plain meaning lobby", and certainly in the UK.

My own position is that I accept the authority and inspiration of scripture as mediated to me via.

1. Traditional
2. Reason
3. The church family to which I am committed
4. Conscience
5. The inner witness of the Holy Spirit.

Two of those factors are corporate, three are personal. Which is more important depends on the issue, whether it is faith, morality (including obedience), science, history etc.

The net effect of these factors over the years has been to bring me to a position which I see as non-fundamentalist and often at variance with the classic lines taught and pronounced by biblical inerrantists in the UK. My impression, up to now, was that inerrantists in the US were actually more dogmatic in their views on matters of faith, morals, science and history than those in the UK. So Lamb Chopped and Freddy's views cames as a bit of a surprise.

I'll be interested to see how they, and others, see their own positions ("compare and contrast") with my above explanation.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
I'm linking in here these recent exchanges in Kerygmania . In some ways they continue and extend the recent exchanges on this thread.

In the event that that thread doesn't make it to Limbo when it's done, I'm going to copy in a couple of the posts that seem to me to be particularly relevant to this thread.
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Um (carefully attempting to step around the rotting equine), I AM an inerrantist, and that doesn't force me to approve of the sentiment expressed in this verse (re killing babies). Believing in inerrancy doesn't mean approving of everything someone voices in the Scriptures. Nor does it mean taking everything dead literally and ignoring hyperbole, sarcasm and irony, etc.

In this case, I take inerrancy to mean that this verse is a true record of the feelings of the psalmist--not necessarily of God. [Ultra confused] That's all. And how can poetry be errant or inerrant, anyway?

quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
quote:
In private conversations, I tend to find that many folks see the ethical dilemmas which the cursing verses in the Psalms produce - and don't like them. But they aren't prepared to "sell" the inerrant principle because of what they don't like. Ultimately, conceding that one does not understand why "that" is "there" is preferable (from that POV) to conceding that it shows an erroneous ethic, or history, etc.

I think that Christians have known from the beginning that killing children was not the way to go.

Yet up until recently people did not question that psalms, and other scriptures, like this one, belong in the Bible. They are consistent, in a superficial way, with the idea that the bad guys get what they deserve.

Inerrantism is not the only alternative to thinking that these verses don't belong.

Saying that we not understand why "that" is "there" is not the only alternative to thinking that God can do what He wants and that the recipients deserve what they get.

The alternative that I prefer is to accept that good and loving actions can be symbolized by actions that are actually wicked and hateful. Like slaughtering the enemy until not one remains. These wicked and hateful actions can be symbolically attributed to God even if the truth is that they did not originate in Him, and that actually opposes them.

The account can be seen as something endorsed by God as a metaphor that was easily understood by ancient and simple peoples, who saw nothing more than that God was on their side.

The cursing psalms are just a few of a large number of biblical examples of God apparently doing the kind of angry, hurtful and vengeful things that He repudiates in the New Testament.

Many examples of this kind of thing are undeniably metaphoric, such as Jesus' parable about ejecting a man from heaven who did not have a wedding garment. No one thinks that this is really the basis for anyone's ejection.

To my mind it is less problematic to accept that the Old Testament describes wicked times, and imperfect people - and that God used the events of that time to teach something better and prepare for His Advent - than to reject them.

The epistemological consequences of rejecting Scripture are more difficult to deal with than the relatively simple interpretation of the many biblical instances of God, or Israel, or the writer of this Psalm, acting or speaking vengefully or cruelly.

We need to get beyond the simplistic errant/inerrant dichotomy. It sets up a straw man that few have ever accepted.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Alan - I'd overlooked this possibility. And, yes, you did pick what I saw as the key posts.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

Looking at the beginning of this thread, though, I think that these points came up fairly early. We have been rehashing them for thirty pages.

I guess that's why call it a gee gee. [Razz]

--------------------

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just a thought (which I'm sure has already been raised here): what is the point of an infallible Bible if the best any of us can come up with is a fallible interpretation?

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
da_musicman
Shipmate
# 1018

- Posted      Profile for da_musicman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd have thought that if you are starting with an infallible text then interpreting it fallibly then you are only one degree of seperation from what was actually meant.

With a fallible text then a fallible interpretation I'd imagine you are 2 degrees away from what was actually meant. A bit like Chinese Whispers in that regard.

Posts: 3202 | From: The Dreaming | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two out of three ain't bad.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
Just a thought (which I'm sure has already been raised here): what is the point of an infallible Bible if the best any of us can come up with is a fallible interpretation?

Which is why the Catholic and Orthodox churches postulate an infallible interpretation, if I'm not mistaken.

My own denomination, Swedenborgian, also postulates an infallible interpretation in the works of Swedenborg. Sort of a twist on Sola Scriptura.

I'm sure that there are other denominations that have variations on this theme.

[ 16. December 2005, 16:28: Message edited by: Freddy ]

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
[My own denomination, Swedenborgian, also postulates an infallible interpretation in the works of Swedenborg. Sort of a twist on Sola Scriptura.

Sort of Sola Swedenborga, then?

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
Sort of Sola Swedenborga, then?

No. Heh-heh. Sola Scriptura. But through the, a-hem, lens of Swedenborg.

Does anyone see a better way around the difficulty than something like this? [Confused]

It seems to me that you either place trust in a living body, like the church hierarchy, councils, etc., as Orthodoxy and Catholicism do, or in something written.

A third option is the consensus of opinion of all Christians.

A fourth option is the individual interpretation of every individual Christian.

I guess there are, actually, lots of options. [Biased]

[ 17. December 2005, 15:21: Message edited by: Freddy ]

--------------------

Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd always go for perfect Scripture, imperfect interpretation, but done reverentially, humbly and with much effort (and listening to others).

--------------------
blog
Adam's likeness, Lord, efface;
Stamp thine image in its place.

Posts: 4523 | From: Snot's Place | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Originally posted by Custard.:
I'd always go for perfect Scripture, imperfect interpretation, but done reverentially, humbly and with much effort (and listening to others).

No doubt that's the best attitude for an individual to take.

But how about the leadership of large populations?

Isn't it somewhat problematic to have all these "imperfect interpretations" running around?

--------------------

Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

quote:

Isn't it somewhat problematic to have all these "imperfect interpretations" running around?

Nope. No more problematic than having all these imperfect Christians running around.

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
quote:

Nope. No more problematic than having all these imperfect Christians running around.
Then why is this such a long thread? And why is it a dead horse? [Disappointed]

I think that there is a real problem. Am I the only one that thinks so?

--------------------

Oreophagite
Shipmate
# 10534

- Posted      Profile for Oreophagite     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Certainly not a dead horse, but putting it here might be comforting to some.

Scripture can be read, studied, memorized, analyzed, critiqued. Atheists can (and do) teach OT or NT. One can argue about Scriptural authority from now to the End of time. It's more fun to talk about Christmas decorations in a "Heaven" thread.

Sola scriptura. Quod ubique, quod semper, quod ab omnibus creditum est.

If we use Scripture as a practical guide to living, praying, and learning how to EXPERIENCE God, we may well find yourself having a little chat with Jesus in our prayer lives.

If we use our time analyzing contradictions, odd-sounding passages - and dissecting Scripture like some frog in the anatomy lab, we lose the opportunity to have a personal, experiential knowledge of God. Swedenborg was NOT the first individual in history to discover this. Mysticism isn't some New Age craze.

Scripture says what it means, and means what it says.

[ 18. December 2005, 23:16: Message edited by: Oreophagite ]

Posts: 247 | From: The Klipoth | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

- Posted      Profile for Justinian   Email Justinian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oreophagite:

Ah, but what does it say it means?

--------------------
My real name consists of just four letters, but in billions of combinations.

Eudaimonaic Laughter - my blog.

Posts: 3926 | From: The Sea Coast of Bohemia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
If we use Scripture as a practical guide to living, praying, and learning how to EXPERIENCE God, we may well find yourself having a little chat with Jesus in our prayer lives.

If we use our time analyzing contradictions, odd-sounding passages - and dissecting Scripture like some frog in the anatomy lab, we lose the opportunity to have a personal, experiential knowledge of God.

Very true.

I think the idea, though, is to know right from wrong, so we can do the former and avoid the latter.

The point of analyzing Scripture and dissecting odd-sounding passages is to test the idea that this is actually information from God, and to ferret out what is useful about that information.

I agree that the better thing to do is just use the more obvious parts as a guide to daily living. It's not rocket science for the most part.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:

It would be easier to buy this if (a) it didn't contradict itself so frequently, and (b) there weren't so many (and I mean many) differing interpretations of nearly every single passage.

If Scripture means what it says and says what it means, we seem to be incapable of figuring out exactly what that is.

--------------------

Niënna

Ship's Lotus Blossom
# 4652

- Posted      Profile for Niënna   Email Niënna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If we use our time analyzing contradictions, odd-sounding passages - and dissecting Scripture like some frog in the anatomy lab

[Razz] but those weird ones are my favorite ones. Plus, it would be stupid for me to be like, well - I like this scripture but this other scripture is weird so obviously I should not think about it. I like the bible. A lot. A couple of years ago, I would pick one Prophet and mediate and read through it every December. Because of that, I really like Ezekiel, Jeremiah, Isaiah, and Nehemiah (go, go, go build that wall, uh huh, oh right, okay!)

I like weirdness. I like finding weirdness in the bible. I like frogs too. I didn't mind dissecting them that much either.

Contradictions intrigue me, too. I like that God is both simple and he's complicated. It makes me pause, and think too.

quote:
- and dissecting Scripture like some frog in the anatomy lab, we lose the opportunity to have a personal, experiential knowledge of God.

I haven't had this experience, so I cannot relate to what you are saying. Everything I read, analyze, and meditate helps me in discovering beauty and truth and reality of God.

--------------------
[Nino points a gun at Chiki]
Nino: Now... tell me. Who started the war?
Chiki: [long pause] We did.
~No Man's Land

Posts: 2298 | From: Purgatory | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Petaflop
Shipmate
# 9804

- Posted      Profile for Petaflop   Email Petaflop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

If we use our time analyzing contradictions, odd-sounding passages - and dissecting Scripture like some frog in the anatomy lab, we lose the opportunity to have a personal, experiential knowledge of God. Swedenborg was NOT the first individual in history to discover this. Mysticism isn't some New Age craze.

I present myself as proof that the above dichotomy is not valid. I've been studying scripture in the former manner for 15 years, but have developed an increasing discomfort with the problems I've encountered on assuming that it 'means what it says and says what it means'.

Over the past 3 months I've been studying the old testament from a viewpoint of mainstream scholarship which rejects a literal reading of much of the text. This has included examination of many contraditions, which are, as Joyfulsoul says, some of the most interesting bits.

My experience is that an understanding of the probable order of writing, the situation of the authors and the events to which their writing was responding has deepened my understanding of the messages of faith which the authors wanted to communicate and increased my appreciation of God's work in history.

(A tiny example which I come back to over and over again: Why haven't Samual, David, or Solomon read Dt 17:14- ? Because it wasn't written yet - it was written in response to the failure of kingship - the same response which lead to an understanding of the need for a different type of annointed 'king'.)

CrookedCucumber
Shipmate
# 10792

- Posted      Profile for CrookedCucumber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Then why is this such a long thread? And why is it a dead horse?
I think that there is a real problem. Am I the only one that thinks so?

No, I think most Christians see it as a real problem; and,even though it's a dead horse, I feel compelled to add my own uneducated and ill-informed view to the general mish-mash.

I know people who take an inerrant view of scripture, and hold that view honestly and with integrity. I believe that, despite what oponents of inerrancy state, it is possible to construct an argument in favour of inerrancy that is intellectually coherent and non-circular. The question is whether one finds such arguments compelling. On balance, I do not; but I respect the views of people who have access to the same information as I do, and have thought long and hard and reached different conclusions from mine.

The problem, it seems to me, is not what people themselves believe; it is how the fruits of that belief are expressed in a person's relationship with the outside world -- a world that may not be Christian. Certain moral strictures, for example, in the Bible almost have to be understood differently on an inerrantist reading, and we may be called on to interpret those strictures in a way that affects other people.

We all make decisions based on insufficient evidence, sometimes in very consequential areas of life. We never, if we're honest, demand proof or certainty in anything. However, if I make a decision that has an impact on the life of another person, then I owe it to that other person to be able to defend my decision on the basis of a rational assessment of the objective evidence. I will accept, of course, that having presented the evidence and my rationale, the person affected may well continue to disagree with me, perhaps even forcefully. But if I could not justify my decisions on the basis of reason and observation at all, then other people are eventually not going to trust my ability to make any decision.

Now, I happen to think that a Christian belief is rationally defensible on the basis of observation of people and of the natural world. I don't for a moment expect atheists to come around to that way of thinking, but at least my arguments would be in terms that an atheist would find comprehensible. Saying ``that's a reasonable argument but I'm not convinced'' is a different response from ``you have provided no grounds for me to believe or trust you''.

Ultimately I cannot find any argument for scriptural inerrancy that could I could defend, on the basis of observation and rationality, to a non-believer. That means that I cannot reasonably take decisions that are contingent on an inerrantist reading of scripture. If I cannot reasonably take a decisions that depend on theinerrantist being true, than inerrancy must be untrue. The alternative is to argue that Christians have an obligation to make decisions that affect non-Christians, on the basis of views that we simply cannot defend in a comprehensible way.

Somebody might say that (simplifying a bit) his or her belief in errancy is the result of `the internal witness of the Holy Spirt', but it worries me a little. It makes sense (to me) to say that it is the work of the Holy Spirit to cause you to open your mind to certain explanations that you would otherwise avoid. It seems to me that I'm entitled to thank the Holy Spirit for breaking down my natural cynicism about religious belief. But -- it seems to me -- what I'm absolutely not entitled to do is to cite the Holy Spirit as evidence to back up any decision I make. If I can't defend my decision on the basis of rationality, then I shouldn't take the decision.

And that, it seems to me, is why inerrancy is such a big deal. It isn't just a private matter between us and our Creator; it affects how we interact with the wider world, and has the potential to set non-Christians at the throats of Christians in a big way. That's why anybody who takes the inerrantist line has a duty to be able to explain why he or she does so, in comprehensible terms, to other people.

That concludes this morning's reading from the Book of Cucumber [Smile]

Posts: 2718 | From: East Dogpatch | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Oreophagite
Shipmate
# 10534

- Posted      Profile for Oreophagite     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Definitely not a dead horse.

It's an instruction manual, written in code. It has superficial meaning (or lack of meaning) to those who pick it up and thumb through it. Enough meaning to get us started.

The key is to pray incessantly with the greatest of tenacity to our Lord Jesus Christ, and ask (in His name, by His power, for His majesty) that our minds be opened (Luke 24:45) to understand what the Scriptures mean. Toss out Enlightenment rationalism. This can happen to any of us who asks for it. It doesn't usually happen overnight, though it may have for Paul.

Nobody (nobody I know, anyway) can really explain this in a posting at a website. It has to be experienced.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:

Merely repeating this doesn't constitute discussion.

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It doesn't usually happen overnight, though it may have for Paul.

Nobody (nobody I know, anyway) can really explain this in a posting at a website. It has to be experienced.

It sounds to me like it's happened to you. So do you never find yourself in disagreement about the scriptures with another christian to whom this process has also happened? If you do, how do you resolve it?

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

- Posted      Profile for MSHB   Email MSHB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It's an instruction manual, written in code.

Why do you keep saying that it is an instruction manual?

Some things in the scriptures do look like instructions. But many things (e.g. the psalms) are outpourings, expressions. One might as well say that Keats's poetry is an instruction manual.

And some things in the scriptures are histories - which are informative, but not instructions to live by. E.g. when I read that Abraham laid out on a rock the carcases of several birds split in half, am I to go out and do likewise? Or when Samuel cuts up Agag to pieces, should all Christian pastors go out and practice their sword skills? Is it instructing me? Only in the sense that, say, Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" might be described as an instruction manual in good manners, rather than described as a novel.

The scriptures are a collection of many different kinds of writings: love poems, prayers, instructions on sacrificing animals, edifying anecdotes about various people, myths, made-up stories to illustrate moral points, letters to young churches to settle various issues, highly imaginative fantasies (e.g. Revelation), etc. To say that they are often worthwhile (in some sense) is not the same as saying they are all "instructions". And quite a few bits of the scriptures are simply opaque - I don't know what they mean, and cannot apply them to anything. And how do I "apply" the passage that tells me the reputed names of the rivers that flowed out of the Garden of Eden? What am I meant to do with this passage in any "instruction manual" sense?

A lot of the scriptures is indeed preaching, in some sense of the word - proclaiming a message. But "instruction manual" seems way too narrow a description to fit the wide diversity of literary content in the scriptures.

--------------------
MSHB: Member of the Shire Hobbit Brigade

Posts: 1522 | From: Dharawal Country | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
CrookedCucumber
Shipmate
# 10792

- Posted      Profile for CrookedCucumber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I'm not disagreeing with that, and I'm not saying for a moment that this is not a valid way for a person to come to his or her own convictions about how to live.

My contention is much simpler: there are plenty of non-Christians in the world, as well as Christians who take a different view of scriptural inerrancy. If you take decisions that affect them, do you not owe them a explanation that they would be capable of understanding?

If (for example) I asked the Prime Minister to explain his reasons for (say) cutting Health Service funding, I would expect him to say something like ``Well, we only have so much money, and there are other claims on it, and we can make good the shortfall by doing X, Y, and Z''. I might disagree with any or all of his contentions, but there is at least the opportunity for rational debate. Maybe with further argument he could convince me; maybe I could convince him that his argument is wrong (hah!)

On the other hand, if he said (for example) ``Well, I read the Bible in great detail over many years, and I prayed for guidance, and I decided that scripture was inerrant, and that the inerrant message of scripture was that public funding of the Health Service was unchristian'' then I would be appalled. I wouldn't be appalled because I though he was wrong, or that there were different interpretations of scripture; I would be appalled because he used an argument that ended all rational debate, except with people who had the same inner convictions as himself. From that point on, nobody but another inerrantist would be able to express an opinion on his views.

And what if he said ``Well, I studied the Tibetan Book of the Dead over many years, and I decided it was inerrant, and...'' What then?

The problem is that if you make any decision that is based on a decision-making process informed by inner convictions that you have, and which you cannot rationally justify and explain, then any discussion of your decision with people who do not share your convictions simply reduces to a debate about whether your convictions are justified or not. Until all parties agree on that, there is simply no common ground on which to base a discussion.

Posts: 2718 | From: East Dogpatch | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Oreophagite
Shipmate
# 10534

quote:
Originally posted by Maher-Shalal-Hash-Baz:
quote:
It's an instruction manual, written in code.

Why do you keep saying that it is an instruction manual?

Some things in the scriptures do look like instructions. But many things (e.g. the psalms) are outpourings, expressions. One might as well say that Keats's poetry is an instruction manual.

And some things in the scriptures are histories - which are informative, but not instructions to live by. E.g. when I read that Abraham laid out on a rock the carcases of several birds split in half, am I to go out and do likewise? Or when Samuel cuts up Agag to pieces, should all Christian pastors go out and practice their sword skills? Is it instructing me? Only in the sense that, say, Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" might be described as an instruction manual in good manners, rather than described as a novel.

The scriptures are a collection of many different kinds of writings: love poems, prayers, instructions on sacrificing animals, edifying anecdotes about various people, myths, made-up stories to illustrate moral points, letters to young churches to settle various issues, highly imaginative fantasies (e.g. Revelation), etc. To say that they are often worthwhile (in some sense) is not the same as saying they are all "instructions". And quite a few bits of the scriptures are simply opaque - I don't know what they mean, and cannot apply them to anything. And how do I "apply" the passage that tells me the reputed names of the rivers that flowed out of the Garden of Eden? What am I meant to do with this passage in any "instruction manual" sense?

A lot of the scriptures is indeed preaching, in some sense of the word - proclaiming a message. But "instruction manual" seems way too narrow a description to fit the wide diversity of literary content in the scriptures.

Revelation, a "highly imaginative fantasy"? I suppose there's little point in arguing about such things, Friend. Some people see one level of meaning in a given passage, and take it quite literally. Others probably overinterpret. Revelation falls victim to both approaches.

Yet, how would one take Isaiah 8:1-4 literally? Does it have additional meaning? Is it there for an instructive purpose? The psalms do contain instructions for those who meditate on them with "eyes that see" and "ears that hear".

No, mdijon, I don't have the "gift" of a fully-opened mind. Maybe some sort of mystical insight now and then. Perhaps someone fully familiar with the "code" will write a book about it someday.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Perhaps someone fully familiar with the "code" will write a book about it someday.

If everyone who thought he had the one right way to interpret the Scriptures properly were to write a book, I don't suppose the whole world could contain them.

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If the requisite "open mind" is so difficult to achieve (and I expect harder to ascertain) then does it really have any meaning to say scripture "means what it says"?

Normally the description "means what it says" is used to imply that the meaning is obvious.... difficult to dispute.... and that most reasonable people would draw the same conclusion.

That's clearly not your point here, then.....?

--------------------

Oreophagite
Shipmate
# 10534

quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
If the requisite "open mind" is so difficult to achieve (and I expect harder to ascertain) then does it really have any meaning to say scripture "means what it says"?

Normally the description "means what it says" is used to imply that the meaning is obvious.... difficult to dispute.... and that most reasonable people would draw the same conclusion.

That's clearly not your point here, then.....?

That little statement is meant to be a koan, for meditation. Perhaps I'm in over my head on this discussion; I'll go post something funny in heaven! Merry Christmas to all - do reflect on the words of the hymn "O Little Town of Bethlehem" this year. It's in code, too. [Smile]
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

So you didn't mean what you said when you said it meant what it said.

Does that make it a koan? Or is there another, deeper layer of meaning that still eludes me?

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
So you didn't mean what you said when you said it meant what it said.

Yes, I don't think he did. [Biased]

It might be easier to say that certain parts are quite clear, and appear to mean what they say. For example, that it is wrong to steal, or good to love your neighbor.

The trick, then, is to figure out which parts those are. [Paranoid]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  ...  42  43  44 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016