homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Dead Horses   » biblical inerrancy (Page 31)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  ...  42  43  44 

Source: (consider it) Thread: biblical inerrancy
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
quote:
Originally posted by Oreophagite:
Perhaps someone fully familiar with the "code" will write a book about it someday.

If everyone who thought he had the one right way to interpret the Scriptures properly were to write a book, I don't suppose the whole world could contain them.
This is not so far-fetched. This is exactly what my denomination, the New Church, is about. We have detailed descriptions of the "code".

There could be hundreds of denominations like this, since there are thousands of Christian denominations. I have not run across any, however. Maybe others know of some.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
So you didn't mean what you said when you said it meant what it said.

Yes, I don't think he did. [Biased]
Don't you mean "No, I don't think he did"..... or is that another koan to redirect me to the true meaning of what he really meant when he didn't meant what he said when he said it meant what is said.

Or what you mean when you said you didn't think he really meant that he didn't mean what he said when he said it meant what is said.

[Paranoid]

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Don't you mean "No, I don't think he did"..... or is that another koan to redirect me to the true meaning of what he really meant when he didn't meant what he said when he said it meant what is said.

Or what you mean when you said you didn't think he really meant that he didn't mean what he said when he said it meant what is said.

No. That's right.

Just keep repeating it over and over. It will help you sleep. [Snore]

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Oreophagite
Shipmate
# 10534

- Posted      Profile for Oreophagite     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

[Killing me]

Freddy's Swedenborgian New Church may well have some very interesting commentaries on Scripture. See:
http://www.heavenlydoctrines.org/

The question would be whether they know what the commentaries mean, that is, how to put them to practical, personal use.

Swedenborg seems to meet the general criteria for having been a prophet. I suspect he knocked, and the door was opened.

Posts: 247 | From: The Klipoth | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
The question would be whether they know what the commentaries mean, that is, how to put them to practical, personal use.

Wow. That's an insightful comment. Exactly the right question.
quote:
Swedenborg seems to meet the general criteria for having been a prophet. I suspect he knocked, and the door was opened.

My take is that he didn't knock. He was called. He didn't start any religion, but just wrote books. People of all denominations use them.

I doubt that Swedenborg is unique. There are similar writers in both the Catholic and Orthodox traditions.

Well, off to Chicago. [Biased]

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Although he is unique, isn't he?

In that the other writers (certainly not the RC or Orthodox ones) quite agree with him completely.

Suggesting that if there is some sort of decoding/knocking-at-the-door approach, it doesn't give reproducible results. Not in that sense, anyway.

[ 26. December 2005, 12:58: Message edited by: mdijon ]

--------------------

Oreophagite
Shipmate
# 10534

- Posted      Profile for Oreophagite     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Although he is unique, isn't he?

In that the other writers (certainly not the RC or Orthodox ones) quite agree with him completely.

Suggesting that if there is some sort of decoding/knocking-at-the-door approach, it doesn't give reproducible results. Not in that sense, anyway.

At various points in our lives, there's a dream (or a deep contemplative prayer experience) in which we come up to a closed door. Most of us walk away. Try knocking three times, and ask to enter. Knock, and the door will be opened; ask, and it shall be given to you.

A rationalist simply wouldn't believe what lies beyond that door. After all, it's just a dream, isn't it? Not all may enter, but I think all who ask will be shown what lies beyond, and given instructions on what to do in order to come back and enter for a guided tour. There are those who think Dante's Divine Comedy (like Revelation) is merely an allegory. Others have good reason to believe that it actually happened.

The design of an orthodox church in part reproduces that archtypal dream. The door in the ikonostasis represents the door in one's dreams. Ever wonder why orthodox altars are often cubic stones?

Swedenborg seems to have become aware of the mystical tradition. He wasn't the first, he's not the last. That same mysterion is available to all who believe, even though they have not seen it in the physical world of the rationalists. Let those with eyes, see.

I suspect that Swedenborg learned how to get up into the high mountain. That's where Jesus taught the disciples. Let those with ears, listen.

I'd also suspect that Swedenborg taught things that he dared not write down.

Throughout history (including the post-apostolic era), other prophets have taught the mysteries. (I am not one of them.) Swedenborg was not unique, and his teachings aren't only for Lutherans.

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

I'm not sure what you're getting at here.... many of the things you say may well be true.... but if the results are not reproducible then I'd say that does not infer biblical inerrancy, even with the special pleading of a code book.

[ 26. December 2005, 15:51: Message edited by: mdijon ]

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
I'm not sure what you're getting at here.... many of the things you say may well be true.... but if the results are not reproducible then I'd say that does not infer biblical inerrancy, even with the special pleading of a code book.

mdijon, I'm not sure what either you or Oreo are getting at.

One of the things I love about Swedenborg is that it is not anything mystical, nor does he claim to have opened a door that anyone can open. The claim, which may be true or false, is that it is written revelation pure and simple.

What is written down and published is concrete information that can be analyzed in depth. Anyone can decide for themselves whether this or some other way of interpreting Scripture is valid or not.

In this sense the results are reproducible, because anyone can use this "code" to interpret Scripture in a consistent way.

The effect of the "code", called the "spiritual" or "internal" sense of Scripture, is that it is built around the assumption of an inerrant Bible.

The idea is that every word of the original communicates a coherent, connected message that is directly from God. Some of this message is open and obvious to everyone, and some is cloaked in appearances so as to appeal to those to whom it was given, and to children and others. These appearances are not in themselves strictly accurate or true, but they are given according to a consistent pattern of symbolism which is true when its meaning is understood - the "spiritual" sense.

I love this system because to my mind it easily overcomes the objections that are usually raised against the inerrancy of Scripture. This enables one who accepts the system to have confidence in the Word of God, giving them what I see as a satisfying epistemological framework for belief in the truths of Christianity.

I don't know how unique Swedenborg is in this. The Catholic and Orthodox traditions have any number of teachers who have interpreted Scripture quite authoritatively. Swedenborg has even been canonized in some branches of Orthodoxy, as one among others who have done this. I think Swedenborg is unique in how extensive and systematic his descriptions are. But in the main these descriptions are acceptable within almost all Christian traditions.

The point is that most people agree that the Bible needs interpretation, otherwise it easily becomes self-contradictory and even misleading. Every denomination, therefore has its own doctrinal premises from which they interpret it. This is true even for those who claim the Bible is inerrant as is, and needs no interpretation.

The question is how to find a rational and reliable way of getting at what the Bible is really about. I guess we each have our own answers to that. [Biased]

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

Your last line was what I was getting at. That if one claims the bible "says what it means" as a form of inerrancy, then that doesn't, to me, seem compatible with "I guess we each have our own answers to that."

--------------------

Oreophagite
Shipmate
# 10534

quote:
One of the things I love about Swedenborg is that it is not anything mystical, nor does he claim to have opened a door that anyone can open. The claim, which may be true or false, is that it is written revelation pure and simple.

In this sense the results are reproducible, because anyone can use this "code" to interpret Scripture in a consistent way.

The effect of the "code", called the "spiritual" or "internal" sense of Scripture, is that it is built around the assumption of an inerrant Bible.

The idea is that every word of the original communicates a coherent, connected message that is directly from God. Some of this message is open and obvious to everyone, and some is cloaked in appearances so as to appeal to those to whom it was given, and to children and others. These appearances are not in themselves strictly accurate or true, but they are given according to a consistent pattern of symbolism which is true when its meaning is understood - the "spiritual" sense.

I don't know how unique Swedenborg is in this.

I agree. The esoteric tradition opines (for what that's worth) that each story of Scripture can be understood on seven levels. The first level is the story itself. See the evolving thread about Jephtha, who sacrifices his daughter. The second level deals with what the story might mean as an allegory; a good homilist brings this out. For instance, Jephtha made a rash promise. The higher levels are more inaccessible. Is "sons of Ammon" a code phrase? Are there other code phrases built into that story?

I'd guess that Swedenborg had mystical experiences in the same sense as the apostles themselves, and St. John the Divine ("I was in the Spirit on the Lord's Day.) Mysticism is found in all of the world's religions; it's most overt in the Orthodox traditions, but it's there in the Roman tradition, too.

Many people have been given the gift of going up into the high mountain to have the higher levels of Scripture explained to them. (I am not one of them.) Some have been told to return to earth and teach what they have been taught.

Swedenborg himself got into a lot of hot water over what he wrote. However, before that time he would surely have been burned, or worse.

One of the more interesting "prophets" of the 20th century was "Samael Aun Weor". His books haven't been systematized like Swedenborg's, and they're only now making it into English translation. His disciples (I am not one of them) have chosen the unfortunate term "Gnosis" for their movement.

"Gnosis" means "knowledge", but it also relates back to the gnostic heresies of the patristic era.

They have a website at http://www.gnosticteachings.com

It's a quirky website; the Judeo-Christian aspects of his teachings are co-mingled with Buddhism, Hinduism, and so forth. I've seen some of the books - it seems to be an admixture of the preposterous and the profound.

It would be interesting for someone who KNOWS Swedenborg's writings to compare them to Weor.

I'm told that the same mystical tradition can be practiced by anybody who is in God's grace and favor. Even Anglicans. [Smile]

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
It would be interesting for someone who KNOWS Swedenborg's writings to compare them to Weor.

I know Swedenborg very well, and it is an entirely different system from Weor's, who is, as the site says, Gnostic.

I can't really claim to understand Weor's message from a quick perusal of his writings, so forgive me if I am jumping to conclusions. The descriptions on the site, though, are pretty similar to things that I have encountered elsewhere.

Swedenborg's Christian system is not about "self-realization" or about finding the "straight path" or achieving "nirvana." Swedenborg rejects any kind of mystical spiritualism as a more direct path to heaven. The path to heaven is to believe in and obey the teachings of the Word of God, having faith in the Lord God Jesus Christ.

Swedenborg regards the systematic explanations of Christianity that he wrote down as revelations from God in themselves, not an example of what others might receive if they were somehow able to contact the spiritual world. This might seem contradictory, but it is the same attitude that Jews and Christians have always held towards those they regard as prophets, whether Moses, Isaiah, or Jesus. The idea is that we are to depend on written information that we accept as divinely inspired, or the Word of God, and not on spiritual experiences. As Jesus said:
quote:
Luke 16.30 "‘If they do not hear Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded though one rise from the dead.’"
The Swedenborgian system also does not look to self-realization, but to repentance from evil and service to others as the way to spiritual re-birth. The goal is therefore not nirvana but the heavenly joy that comes with living a productive and loving life - as a way of loving and serving God. This is seen as the the fundamental biblical message.
quote:
I'm told that the same mystical tradition can be practiced by anybody who is in God's grace and favor. Even Anglicans. [Smile]

I guess that there are lots of ways to think of it, and lots of meanings to the term "mystical tradition."

I agree that seeing deeper meanings within Scripture has been commonly practiced in the Anglican, Catholic, Orthodox and many other traditions. Everyone sees the need to intelligently and reverantly interpret Scripture. But I wouldn't describe this as mystical.

[ 29. December 2005, 14:46: Message edited by: Freddy ]

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Your last line was what I was getting at. That if one claims the bible "says what it means" as a form of inerrancy, then that doesn't, to me, seem compatible with "I guess we each have our own answers to that."

How about, "The Bible says what it means if we are able to interpret it correctly"? [Biased]

I add "I guess we each have our own answers to that" because it is hard to agree on what a "correct" interpretation is.

I believe that there IS a "correct" one, or any number of interpretations that are more or less "correct." These interpretations are therefore "inerrant".

This doesn't really help anything, of course, if we don't have a reliable way of finding "correct" interpretations.

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

Exactly. But I'd not have used the word 'inerrant' to describe the final answer I was trying to get at; if I'm trying to do a sum, it makes more sense to classify my method or answer as 'inerrant' or 'errant', rather than the actual correct solution, were I able to find it.

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Exactly. But I'd not have used the word 'inerrant' to describe the final answer I was trying to get at; if I'm trying to do a sum, it makes more sense to classify my method or answer as 'inerrant' or 'errant', rather than the actual correct solution, were I able to find it.

Yes. Good point.

How about: Within my own religious tradition I consider the Bible to be inerrant when interpreted in the ways common to this particular tradition. This yields what I consider to be the "correct" understanding.

So I think I AM able to find it. I'm sure others feel the same way about their own means of interpretation.

Of course I could be wrong, my tradition may be mistaken and false, and something entirely different may be the right way to go.

Still, I would assert that it is not mistaken and that the Bible is therefore inerrant, when correctly understood.

Does that make the Bible inerrant? Does it make it inerrant only within the particular systems of the many different Christian traditions?

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

Yes, I think I see that. If you argue that the starting point for the sum (bible) and tradition (i.e. algebra) you have accepted are both inerrant, then the calculated answer can be described as inerrant.

However, is that really what you think? That all Swedenborg's teachings and the church's subsequent development of them cover the whole message of the bible and are entirely correct and without blemish? And dependably so?

Doesn't this require considerable faith in earthly things?

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
However, is that really what you think? That all Swedenborg's teachings and the church's subsequent development of them cover the whole message of the bible and are entirely correct and without blemish? And dependably so?

Isn't this what most people think about their particular traditions?

Yes, I have complete faith in this way of seeing the Bible. I haven't yet found an instance where it does not seem dependable. It seems completely adequate.

I am also open to the idea that it may be completely wrong, but I have not yet seen anything to indicate that.

Don't you think that most theologians have a similar confidence in their own traditions?
quote:
Doesn't this require considerable faith in earthly things?

Earthly things?

As I understand it the miracle of the Incarnation is that the Word of God is both an earthly and a divine thing at the same time.

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

By earthly things I meant us humans who make up the church, write stuff down, interpret it.... granted, with inspiration of the divine... but not the inerrancy of the divine.

But fair enough, your description is consistent, I think, with the way we were looking at inerrancy.

I certainly don't believe my tradition to be inerrant. It's changed it's mind too many times, to start with. The same goes for my take on it. Of course, any particular idea I believe I think is correct at the time... but I know the chances are overwhelmingly high that at least 20-30% is wrong. Up to 60-70% I'd say.

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
By earthly things I meant us humans who make up the church, write stuff down, interpret it.... granted, with inspiration of the divine... but not the inerrancy of the divine.

I do agree with that. Certainly what I say and teach is not in any way inerrant, nor were my teachers. Or the applications my church organization makes. Or the way members live, etc.

The only inerrant thing is the Word of God in itself. As soon as it enters our understanding errors inevitably creep in. So it never pays to be too sure.
quote:
I certainly don't believe my tradition to be inerrant. It's changed it's mind too many times, to start with. The same goes for my take on it. Of course, any particular idea I believe I think is correct at the time... but I know the chances are overwhelmingly high that at least 20-30% is wrong. Up to 60-70% I'd say.

My church organization has changed its mind too. I'm sure they all do. But that may just have to do with progress, or its opposite, in understanding the best application of the teachings.

I guess that there is a human element that you can never get away from - which may make it foolish to ever talk about having a grip on anything inerrant.

Don't get me wrong, I have tremendous confidence in Scripture and in the New Church teachings that interpret and explain it. But it is always dodgy to have too much confidence in one's own opinion and understanding, or the opinions and understanding of other people.

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

Wow. It's been four months since anyone added to this thread. Maybe this horse really is dead. [Snore]

--------------------

craigb
Shipmate
# 11318

- Posted      Profile for craigb   Author's homepage   Email craigb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nayyyyyyyyy its not.

--------------------
Amazing grace! How sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me!I once was lost, but now am found; Was blind, but now I see... The Lord has promised good to me,His word my hope secures;He will my shield and portion be,As long as life endures.

Posts: 993 | From: Tahmoor | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Not in my experience. There are some people on the ship who are like that; they tend to get the most flak and calls to Hell.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not in my experience. There are some people on the ship who are like that; they tend to get the most flak and calls to Hell.
Well, what else is "Unrest" if not attempting to shake the complacent and certain out of their religious comfort zones?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not saying it's a bad thing to shake the complacent. Just that the population here doesn't seem nearly so smug as Freddy wants to say "most people" are.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You know, complacency is a most helpful word in this context. I've realised it was the complacent biblical innerantists who set me off on my own journeys exploring the pros and cons of fundamentalism. The non-complacent ones never bothered me - and still dont. People who are genuinely "humble before the Word" tend to be genuinely humble in lots of other ways. They listen more and judge less.

I try hard to be a non-complacent non-fundamentalist when it comes to scripture. And I still try to be "humble before the Word". It aint easy. The lively oracles of God seem to me to be a very curious mixture of God-thoughts and human-thoughts and sometimes its pretty hard to sort out which is which. But you encounter Someone in the trying - that's for sure.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
I'm not saying it's a bad thing to shake the complacent. Just that the population here doesn't seem nearly so smug as Freddy wants to say "most people" are.

Mousethief, you are right about that. I don't know what I was thinking. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

PaxChristi
Shipmate
# 11493

- Posted      Profile for PaxChristi   Author's homepage   Email PaxChristi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, I don't see Jesus reading his own Scriptures as a literalist. In fact, he tends to pick and choose the passages to which he gives most authority. He chooses mercy over obedience to law, he chooses forgiveness over judgement/vengeance. My favorite illustration of this is in Luke 4 , where he has handed the scroll of the Prophet Isaiah. He turns to his favorite bit in Isiah 61 "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me..." and begins to read.

And then he stops. Right in the middle of a verse. In the middle of a Hebrew couplet. He breaks a poetic structure right in half when he leaves off, "And the day of vengeance of our God."

Look it up. Jesus cherry picked his Scriptures, because his Father is not vengeful.

Now, this doesn't mean that I treat some parts of Scripture as less inspired than others. I think they're all inspired. Perhaps even inerrant, inasmuch as I believe they are all intended by God. But what they are intended to reveal isn't always God.

But that's for another post.

Jeff

[ 05. June 2006, 20:30: Message edited by: PaxChristi ]

--------------------
For I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified. (I Corinthians 2:2)

Posts: 125 | From: NY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Originally posted by PaxChristi:
Actually, I don't see Jesus reading his own Scriptures as a literalist. In fact, he tends to pick and choose the passages to which he gives most authority. He chooses mercy over obedience to law, he chooses forgiveness over judgement/vengeance.

Jeff, I agree that Christ is not a literalist. But I think that what He chooses to emphasize is consistent with the emphasis of the Old Testament - at least with the emphasis of the Prophets. I certainly agree with what He chooses to emphasize.
quote:
Originally posted by PaxChristi:
And then he stops. Right in the middle of a verse. In the middle of a Hebrew couplet. He breaks a poetic structure right in half when he leaves off, "And the day of vengeance of our God."

Look it up. Jesus cherry picked his Scriptures, because his Father is not vengeful.

It is interesting that He stopped there, right in the middle of a couplet. Of course He had to stop somewhere.

Someone recently posted that, according to the Jewish custom of the time, the mention of the first few words or verses of a Scripture assumed the entire chapter. This was in reference to Psalm 22 "My God My God why have You forsaken Me?" which Jesus quoted on the cross. The implication is that He was not merely expressing the desolation that the words clearly convey, but also the hope that the rest of the Psalm expresses.

The same might be true of Jesus' reading of Isaiah 61. At the same time I completely agree that Jesus rejected vengeance - even though some of His parables use vengeance as a metaphor.

Anyway, I think that it is perfectly legitimate for us to use Scripture the same way. I believe that all of Scripture is God's Word, but that this does not mean it needs to be taken literally.

--------------------

Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why can't I convince myself that it would be possible for me (I mean no implication for anyone else) to hold to Christinity whilst rejecting some parts of the Bible? Why can't I do it?

Plenty of other people seem to manage it.

Still, the fact that I find some parts of the Bible to be morally aborant, the fact that I consider some parts to just be just plain wrong, means I can't consider any reversal of my rejection of this faith. I wish it didn't, but it does.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Posts: 12176 | From: a zoo in England. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boopy
Shipmate
# 4738

- Posted      Profile for Boopy     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Papio:
Why can't I convince myself that it would be possible for me (I mean no implication for anyone else) to hold to Christinity whilst rejecting some parts of the Bible? Why can't I do it?

Plenty of other people seem to manage it.

Still, the fact that I find some parts of the Bible to be morally aborant, the fact that I consider some parts to just be just plain wrong, means I can't consider any reversal of my rejection of this faith. I wish it didn't, but it does.

This is interesting Papio - do you feel like unpacking it a bit? Why for you does Conclusion A (finding parts of the bible morally abhorrent, wrong etc) lead inevitably to Conclusion B (reject this faith)? What for you makes the connection between A and B? Really interested in how you see this, as I think a lot of people find bits of the Bible horrible or wrong, but from that extrapolate a whole range of possible conclusions and directions. How does it look to you?
Posts: 1170 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:

Papio, I think that you are right to hold this view. I don't believe that I could hold to Christianity whilst rejecting some parts of the Bible.

Of course, my denomination does not hold the epistles to be part of the canon, but rather sees them as the doctrinal writings of the early church. Very convenient, as I disagree with one or two things that Paul says (about women and marriage).

It seems to me that it is important to have some kind of consistent stand about what we believe. If some parts of the Bible are unacceptable, and if, as I believe, Christianity assumes acceptance of the Bible as God's Word, then this should cause us to think twice.

In my opinion, though, the parts of the Bible that people tend to reject are ones that can, again in my opinion, be explained satisfactorally. I think that it is essential to have a self-consistent understanding of the Bible. The problems usually come, I think, when there seems to be an inconsistency between two different things that the Bible appears to say.

I think that those situations can always be resolved. If I didn't, though, I would feel the same way you do.

--------------------

Demas
Ship's Deserter
# 24

- Posted      Profile for Demas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

There is a story about a divorced man who was given a lie detector test; and was asked whether he was married.

"No", he said.

But the polygraph showed that he was lying.

One researcher asked "Why is it showing that he's lying? He knows that he is divorced."

The other researcher explained: "He's Catholic, so in his heart he still believes he is married, the poor bastard".

If you had never been told that you must accept or reject the entire Bible would it even occur to you to think that way? Do you approach any other collection of documents in that way?

--------------------
They did not appear very religious; that is, they were not melancholy; and I therefore suspected they had not much piety - Life of Rev John Murray

Posts: 1894 | From: Thessalonica | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Originally posted by Demas:
If you had never been told that you must accept or reject the entire Bible would it even occur to you to think that way? Do you approach any other collection of documents in that way?

I certainly don't. It is strange isn't it?

The trouble is that this is the way the biblical books present themselves. They talk about events that are impossible if they aren't genuine miracles, and recount people's conversations with God while claiming complete veracity. Other books don't do this.

Any time a book claims to be non-fiction, and then offers unique and troubling information, it sets up this kind of conflict. Even something as minor as "The Da Vinci Code." Is it true? If so what are the implications!?

The implications of the things said in the Bible are enormous. They claim to present the ultimate origins of the human race and the path to its salvation. They offer every individual the way to eternal peace - and threaten him or her with eternal suffering if they do not comply.

The Bible is pretty consistent with this approach from beginning to end. The bad guys get whacked beginning in Genesis 3, and it doesn't stop until the last chapter of Revelation.

Given this kind of content, it is a challenge to accept some of it and discard the rest. So much of it is preposterous unless you buy into its assumptions, that once you accept those assumptions you are on the hook for the whole package. Or you easily can be.

It makes more sense to either reject those assumptions and view the Bible as literature like the mythologies of any other people, or else to accept its claims.

So I think that even if I had never been told that I must accept or reject the entire Bible, it would still occur to me to think as Papio is doing. Maybe others see it differently though.

[ 13. June 2006, 11:03: Message edited by: Freddy ]

--------------------

Demas
Ship's Deserter
# 24

- Posted      Profile for Demas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I certainly don't. It is strange isn't it?

The trouble is that this is the way the biblical books present themselves. They talk about events that are impossible if they aren't genuine miracles, and recount people's conversations with God while claiming complete veracity. Other books don't do this.

Surely a number of religious texts do this? At the very least the Quran does this, as does the Torah as a stand-alone subset of what we call the "Bible". And the Book of Mormon.

I guess I don't see the books making up the Bible as being as obviously self-consistent as you do. I don't see the Bible as speaking with one voice but many - in fact I see an unfolding and expanding view of who God is throughout the Bible rather than a "pretty consistent approach from beginning to end".

quote:
So I think that even if I had never been told that I must accept or reject the entire Bible, it would still occur to me to think as Papio is doing. Maybe others see it differently though.
As a child growing up in a liberal Christian household, no one ever told me that I had to accept or reject the entire Bible, and the thought certainly didn't occur to me by myself. For me revelation is in the people and their ideas of God (and in particular in Jesus and his idea of God) that the Bible fallibly describes, not in the Bible itself.

--------------------
They did not appear very religious; that is, they were not melancholy; and I therefore suspected they had not much piety - Life of Rev John Murray

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think part of the problem is the way people talk about The Bible as a single entity. It's much more like an anthology, containing many different works for many different purposes. Part history, part poetry, part journal, part sermon, part vision, part aphorism, part myth. It's no wonder we struggle to understand if we read it as all being the same thing.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
I don't see the Bible as speaking with one voice but many - in fact I see an unfolding and expanding view of who God is throughout the Bible rather than a "pretty consistent approach from beginning to end".

I guess that I do see this "unfolding and expanding view of who God is throughout the Bible rather" also. It's pretty interesting, actually.

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
I guess I don't see the books making up the Bible as being as obviously self-consistent as you do.

Demas, I would agree that they are not obviously self-consistent. They often contradict themselves.

I think that the self-consistency reveals itself when you make large collections of passages that use some particular word, or that address some particular topic. The collections need to be carefully set up, since words often have alternate and even opposite meanings. But a rigorous examination of the meanings and contexts of large numbers of word usages, expressions, and ideas, shows, I think, an amazing consistency of thought and symbolism throughout the Bible.

This in no way denies a remarkable progressive development of ideas from beginning to end, and especially from the Old Testament to the New. The progress, however, is mounted against the consistent theological and metaphoric backdrop of the Bible.

I could give many examples, but I'm sure you know what I mean.

Still, I agree that the Bible is not obviously self-consistent. You can use it to justify all kinds of heresies and points of view.

--------------------

Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
For me revelation is in the people and their ideas of God (and in particular in Jesus and his idea of God) that the Bible fallibly describes, not in the Bible itself.

I guess I've always had a bit of trouble separating the two. I mean, how can you accept ideas as valid from a source you find fallible? I agree, there's nothing truly "sacred" about the volume itself. It's just a book. That's how I feel about church buildings, too; nothing sacred, just a structure. It's what's inside that makes it remarkable and sacred, if you will. But just the existance of the text, preserved in the format we have, with an obvious sense of continuity and blend and prophecy and revelation, makes it hard for me to conceive that it wasn't all guided by the hand of God.

Do I believe every pronoun and apostrophe and spelling is God-breathed? Not really. I do believe the events recorded are historical events (no, NOT the parables, for Pete's sake.) But I could never "reject" parts of the Bible in the sense it is being discussed here, at least, not and keep my faith. The belief I have in God and the scriptures is independent of any other experience in my life. There is nothing or no one in whom I give such trust and faith. Why? Because there is nothing else I consider above failings or inconsistencies or reliance. It sometimes seems odd that I can be so skeptical and unreliant on everything else in life, and yet be so unswerving convinced and confident in the Bible. It's not really my nature to be so trusting, so it must be supernatural. [Smile]

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Originally posted by Grits:
The belief I have in God and the scriptures is independent of any other experience in my life. There is nothing or no one in whom I give such trust and faith. Why? Because there is nothing else I consider above failings or inconsistencies or reliance. It sometimes seems odd that I can be so skeptical and unreliant on everything else in life, and yet be so unswerving convinced and confident in the Bible. It's not really my nature to be so trusting, so it must be supernatural. [Smile]

Grits, it is interesting that it is this way for so many people, and not for so many others. I feel the way that you do. To me it is inconceivable that the Bible might be untrue. And yet I am an Ivy-League-educated skeptic in most areas of life, committed to evidence and what passes for rigorous thinking. No explaining it, I guess. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Demas
Ship's Deserter
# 24

quote:
quote:
For me revelation is in the people and their ideas of God (and in particular in Jesus and his idea of God) that the Bible fallibly describes, not in the Bible itself.

I guess I've always had a bit of trouble separating the two. I mean, how can you accept ideas as valid from a source you find fallible?
As I said in my earlier post, I come from a background that doesn't consider the Bible to be infallible (in fact, didn't consider anything infallible - God Is, but we see him through a glass darkly). So I'm not someone who used to consider the Bible to be one thing, only to reject that view. That's one of the reasons I find Papio's comment interesting - he is seeing a choice I don't see (All the Bible is true vs. None is true).

So I'm always finding valid ideas from fallible sources - I do it for the Bible, I do it for other history books, other religious books, other books of poetry etc. All my valid ideas come from fallible sources.

The Bible is special, of course. But I don't see that as coming from what it is but what it describes, in particular, Jesus. I don't see it as an infallible description, though Jesus' personality clearly shines through (particularily in the synoptics).

There is a quote from an early Quaker work of theology which probably expresses my point. It was written by Robert Barclay in 1678, so predates the modernist tradition I speak from by several centuries:
quote:
[T]he scriptures are only a declaration of the source, and not the source itself, they are not to be considered the principal foundation of all truth and knowledge. They are not even to be considered as the adequate primary rule of all faith and practice. Yet, because they give a true and faithful testimony of the source itself, they are and may be regarded as a secondary rule that is subordinate to the Spirit, from which they obtain all their excellence and certainty. We truly know them only by the inward testimony of the Spirit or, as the scriptures themselves say, the Spirit is the guide by which the faithful are led into all Truth (John 16:13). Therefore, according to the scriptures, the Spirit is the first and principal leader (Rom 8:14). Because we are receptive to the scriptures, as the product of the Spirit, it is for that very reason that the Spirit is the primary and principal rule of faith. (source)
Now I could quibble about the language and some of the ideas in this, but it expresses clearly the distinction between the Bible as source and witness - between the revelation of God's nature in Jesus and the witness to Jesus in the New Testament.

The witness for me isn't infallible; but I think the evidence points to it being faithful to the personality of Jesus.

quote:
I agree, there's nothing truly "sacred" about the volume itself. It's just a book. That's how I feel about church buildings, too; nothing sacred, just a structure. It's what's inside that makes it remarkable and sacred, if you will.

I'm discovering that once you get past the initial disagreements about biblical inerrancy etc, there is a lot of interesting overlap between the modernist tradition that I grew up in and the reformed/fundamentalist tradition. That spirituality is inside us, and not in the building or the bread or wine, a suspicion of symbols and a minimalist visual aesthetic, a wariness about ritual all seem to be in common. I guess it is because the two traditions are historically brothers - coming from a common stock (and family feuds are always the nastiest).
quote:
But just the existance of the text, preserved in the format we have, with an obvious sense of continuity and blend and prophecy and revelation, makes it hard for me to conceive that it wasn't all guided by the hand of God.

I tend to think that everything is guided by the hand of God; I don't think that God guided the preservation of the text so as to make it inerrant.
quote:
Do I believe every pronoun and apostrophe and spelling is God-breathed? Not really. I do believe the events recorded are historical events (no, NOT the parables, for Pete's sake.) But I could never "reject" parts of the Bible in the sense it is being discussed here, at least, not and keep my faith.

At the core of my faith is the belief that the nature of God is revealed in the life and teachings of Jesus. If I were to come to the view that the New Testament was wholly inaccurate or misleading in its description of what Jesus taught about God (as some writers would maintain) then I would certainly have a crisis of faith! I wouldn't call this a 'rejection of the Bible', though. It would be me being dragged kicking and screaming away from it.
quote:
The belief I have in God and the scriptures is independent of any other experience in my life. There is nothing or no one in whom I give such trust and faith. Why? Because there is nothing else I consider above failings or inconsistencies or reliance. It sometimes seems odd that I can be so skeptical and unreliant on everything else in life, and yet be so unswerving convinced and confident in the Bible. It's not really my nature to be so trusting, so it must be supernatural. [Smile]
Personally I would describe my trust as being in the God of Love revealed in and by Jesus and imperfectly witnessed by the writers of the New Testament.

And I'm a lawyer, so it's certainly not in my nature to be trusting [Biased]

--------------------

Grits
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If I were to come to the view that the New Testament was wholly inaccurate or misleading in its description of what Jesus taught about God (as some writers would maintain) then I would certainly have a crisis of faith! I wouldn't call this a 'rejection of the Bible', though. It would be me being dragged kicking and screaming away from it.

Perfect description. I wonder what, if anything, could ever bring one that that "view"? I can't even imagine.

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

samara
Shipmate
# 9932

- Posted      Profile for samara   Email samara   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I mean, how can you accept ideas as valid from a source you find fallible?

I almost don't understand this question. Almost, because I might have asked it myself at one point in life. But I don't really understand the "all-or-nothing" stance. I accept ideas as valid from all kinds of fallible sources. I read an scientific article, say, and with no assumptions about the infallibility of the author accept it or reject as it fits with everything else I know. Or conditionally accept it and hie me to the research stacks.

My attitude to the Bible is not this cavalier, but surely, at least in other circumstances, this idea of weighing evidence is not strange to anyone?

--------------------
Bookworms will rule the world (after we finish the background reading).
Courtesy of Trouble in China

Posts: 439 | From: Canada | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grits
# 4169

I guess I am just not of the mindset that the Bible has to prove itself, nor offer "evidence". That sends one off in a different direction from faith. No one seems to want to just have faith anymore. We've become too analytical, too intelligent. We have to dig and delve and unearth and compare. Why? Well, that's what intelligent, thinking people do. And it's what I do -- except for the Bible. I do believe that faith is "the evidence of things not seen." I can't really say I have that faith in anything or anyone else, but in this, I do.

--------------------

Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

- Posted      Profile for Psyduck   Author's homepage   Email Psyduck   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
D'you know, Grits, the problem I have with "fundamentalists" like you is that you're my kind of Christian. I could have written most of that post you just posted. And I think you get the business of faith just spot on. There isn't a cigarette paper between us on that. It's just that when you say:
quote:
No one seems to want to just have faith anymore. We've become too analytical, too intelligent. We have to dig and delve and unearth and compare
that's what an inerrantist view of Scripture seems to me to be doing. I read my Bible in the light the Holy Spirit gives me. As it's clear to me you do, not least from the humanity of so much of what you post. And true humanity is surely something that proceeds from God, if we take the Incarnation seriously, huh?

But I'm not an inerrantist. So when I read the Bible, and something comes up that I can't square with the revelation of God in Jesus Christ, I just find myself thinking "That can't be right..." "That's not the God I know from Jesus Christ..." What I'm saying is that the simplicity and faith that you talk about is an absolutely crucial element in the reception of the Bible. But it's so on both sides of the "divide" [Waterworks] between inerrantists and non-inerrantists. It seems to me that faith is one, wherever you find it, and in whichever "camp". God does the same kind of stuff in souls, whatever they think they believe about what the Bible is.

--------------------
The opposite of faith is not doubt. The opposite of faith is certainty.
"Lle rhyfedd i falchedd fod/Yw teiau ar y tywod." (Ieuan Brydydd Hir)

Posts: 5433 | From: pOsTmOdErN dYsToPiA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grits
# 4169

Very true. What I seem to be discovering more and more, though, is that often the God you feel you don't "know from Jesus Christ" is located in the OT, and I don't think any of us know or will ever know that God. And yes, I know it's a whole other discussion of did God change (I don't believe He did, but the nature of His relationship to man did) after Jesus. So I don't spend a great deal of time trying to reconcile my feelings to the things of the OT. I just consider that we have it for learning and examples and history. I think Jesus reinforced any principles of the old law that He wanted us to carry over.

--------------------

Demas
Ship's Deserter
# 24

quote:
What I seem to be discovering more and more, though, is that often the God you feel you don't "know from Jesus Christ" is located in the OT, and I don't think any of us know or will ever know that God. And yes, I know it's a whole other discussion of did God change (I don't believe He did, but the nature of His relationship to man did) after Jesus.

I think I may have posted this before, but not on this thread.

A book that I find helpful, which is available to read online, is A Guide to Understanding the Bible by the guy in my sig - Harry Emerson Fosdick.

As the introduction says, "The ideas of God, Man, Right and Wrong, Suffering, Fellowship with God, and Immortality have been traced, each by itself, as each progresses through the two Testaments."

It talks in terms of humanity's growing understanding of God - of our slow and difficult process of listening to the voice of God within us and the revelations of God in the voices of the prophets and Jesus. It is obviously written from a non-inerrantist perspective.

I'm not posting this as if it were the key and answer to all Biblical questions, it isn't. I'm just posting it as a voice from another tradition which you may find interesting to listen to.

--------------------

Demas
Ship's Deserter
# 24

Just to add: unfortunately the book was written in the 1930s, but it's not too hard to read. It's funny to read comments written by someone suspicious of this horrible new music called 'jazz' though. You can almost hear his lack of comprehension - why do you listen to this 'jazz', when you have Mozart? he plaintively cries.

What he thought of the Beatles and the Stones I don't know - let alone the Doors [Big Grin]

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Originally posted by samara:
quote:
I mean, how can you accept ideas as valid from a source you find fallible?

I almost don't understand this question. Almost, because I might have asked it myself at one point in life. But I don't really understand the "all-or-nothing" stance. I accept ideas as valid from all kinds of fallible sources.
I do too, samara. The thing is that most "fallible sources" don't make the kind of preposterous claims of speaking to God, attesting to miracles, seeing into heaven, and predicting the future that the Bible does. Plus there are all those sayings about "every jot and tittle must be fulfilled."

It seems natural to me that there would be a continuing tension between the evident unbelievability of many things in the Bible, and its own interlocking claims of revealed truth.

The way that this seems to go, in my experience, is that it is fairly easy to hold the kind of stance you describe if you don't have to deal that much with the various texts. But the more you get wrapped up in biblical studies the harder it gets to tolerate this tension. I don't know if others have observed this.

--------------------

Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

- Posted      Profile for Psyduck   Author's homepage   Email Psyduck   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Freddy:
quote:
But the more you get wrapped up in biblical studies the harder it gets to tolerate this tension.
I have to be honest, Freddy, that with me it falls out exactly the other way. The more closely I study the Bible, the more evident it seems to me that what it actually is is a collection of perspectives on God, often related to, or even derived from, each other, and often affirming the most striking, and counter-intuitive, things about God, but nonetheless, perspectives that are often radically different, contradictory and sometimes completely incompatible. Yet out of all this, God speaks. And this tension, and even flat contradiction, is what means that God speaking out of Scripture, the living enocunter, is the thing, not that what God says is somehow in Scripture.

--------------------
The opposite of faith is not doubt. The opposite of faith is certainty.
"Lle rhyfedd i falchedd fod/Yw teiau ar y tywod." (Ieuan Brydydd Hir)

Posts: 5433 | From: pOsTmOdErN dYsToPiA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Originally posted by Psyduck:
Yet out of all this, God speaks. And this tension, and even flat contradiction, is what means that God speaking out of Scripture, the living enocunter, is the thing, not that what God says is somehow in Scripture.

Psyduck, I think that this is just what I'm saying. When you study the Bible closely over long periods of time, it becomes more difficult to say "this particular statement is God Himself speaking. But this statement over here is not." You tend to come to some different idea of synthesis.

You seem to be saying, unless I misunderstand you, that you don't think any particular statement is directly from the lips of God, laden with absolute divine authority. Rather, the amalgam of the varying conceptions of God in the different books produces a living encounter with God in which God speaks.

Maybe I am misunderstanding you, but I don't see this as accepting some parts of the Bible on God's authority, and not accepting others. Rather, it is a view of the whole that is consistent and accounts for the inconsistencies of the text.

This is what I mean by it being hard to tolerate the tension between some parts having authority and other parts not having it. That tension needs to be resolved in some way, and I think that you have described a very good way to do it.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  ...  42  43  44 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016