homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Dead Horses   » biblical inerrancy (Page 32)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  ...  42  43  44 

Source: (consider it) Thread: biblical inerrancy
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
quote:
Originally posted by Grits:
The belief I have in God and the scriptures is independent of any other experience in my life. There is nothing or no one in whom I give such trust and faith. Why? Because there is nothing else I consider above failings or inconsistencies or reliance. It sometimes seems odd that I can be so skeptical and unreliant on everything else in life, and yet be so unswerving convinced and confident in the Bible. It's not really my nature to be so trusting, so it must be supernatural. [Smile]

Grits, it is interesting that it is this way for so many people, and not for so many others. I feel the way that you do. To me it is inconceivable that the Bible might be untrue. And yet I am an Ivy-League-educated skeptic in most areas of life, committed to evidence and what passes for rigorous thinking. No explaining it, I guess. [Roll Eyes]
The interesting thing, though, is that some of what Grits thinks is part of "The Bible", Freddy does not (based on his rejection of the Epistles as scripture). So when Freddy says he accepts it all, he is saying something very different from what Grits is saying when she says it.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
samara
Shipmate
# 9932

- Posted      Profile for samara   Email samara   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Sorry for the delay. My computer is possessed.)

quote:
I guess I am just not of the mindset that the Bible has to prove itself, nor offer "evidence". That sends one off in a different direction from faith.

Maybe my comment was misleading, but I am not of that mindset at all either. How could it prove itself? What evidence could it offer?

I have faith as you do: in the Bible, and in the Holy Spirit, and in God's work through the ages. I am now confused about where the disagreement is, and want Papio to come back and clarify.

quote:
It seems natural to me that there would be a continuing tension between the evident unbelievability of many things in the Bible, and its own interlocking claims of revealed truth.

[Ultra confused]

I do not think I disbelieve any of the things you think I disbelieve. I suspect we're talking past each other entirely.

quote:

The way that this seems to go, in my experience, is that it is fairly easy to hold the kind of stance you describe if you don't have to deal that much with the various texts. But the more you get wrapped up in biblical studies the harder it gets to tolerate this tension.

The stance I am describing is not understanding people saying "all-or-nothing" is the only stance possible. I have not described my stance to the Bible. Having had many perplexing conversations with inerrantists, I want to know what we agree is logically possible before moving on to what our stance on the Bible is.

--------------------
Bookworms will rule the world (after we finish the background reading).
Courtesy of Trouble in China

Posts: 439 | From: Canada | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe we can "unpack" that a little bit, John. (I've always wanted to say that on the Ship!)

I guess I've missed the part about Freddy rejecting the Epistles. So, what parts does he accept? [Smile] You know, that's always been one of my bugaboos -- how one can feel they have the discernment and the authority to accept or reject certain parts of the Bible. You know my biggest objection to that, though? They want to reject the parts that don't fit their particular theology. I can see where the Epistles would fall into that category.

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Maybe we can "unpack" that a little bit, John. (I've always wanted to say that on the Ship!)

Right after the moratorium, too. Tsk.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You know, that's always been one of my bugaboos -- how one can feel they have the discernment and the authority to accept or reject certain parts of the Bible. You know my biggest objection to that, though? They want to reject the parts that don't fit their particular theology.

Which is how the biblical canon was established in the first place. Not that I have a beef with the canon -- when I read some of the rejected gospels I could see why they got left out.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grits
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by samara:
The stance I am describing is not understanding people saying "all-or-nothing" is the only stance possible. I have not described my stance to the Bible. Having had many perplexing conversations with inerrantists, I want to know what we agree is logically possible before moving on to what our stance on the Bible is.

I guess my situation is the process of determining which bits are going to be ignored or refuted. I just have a real problem with man as editor, you know? Of course, "all or nothing" isn't the only stance possible, but I don't like using the term "logic". My thoughts are that we often try to place too many human standards and procedures on something which, if one believes the Spirit is alive and moving in the scriptures, is totally illogical in and of inself. We just have to be open-minded enough and vulnerable enough to approach it in a completely different way than we do other texts. And I know that can be too difficult for people who do rely on and need proof and logic and analysis. If one part proves untrue to their tests, it just opens the door for fallibility of all the rest.

I like what John says:
quote:
Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God... You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world. They are from the world and therefore speak from the viewpoint of the world, and the world listens to them. We are from God, and whoever knows God listens to us; but whoever is not from God does not listen to us. This is how we recognize the Spirit of truth and the spirit of falsehood.
It is an awesome responsibility, trying to recognize the Spirit of truth. But it's got to be possible.

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Grits
# 4169

quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
quote:

Right after the moratorium, too. Tsk.
I can't believe he did that, and only hours before my big chance. Oh, well. Sine is not the boss of me. (But don't tell him I said that.)

--------------------

Demas
Ship's Deserter
# 24

- Posted      Profile for Demas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
We just have to be open-minded enough and vulnerable enough to approach it in a completely different way than we do other texts.

Hi Grits,

I too want to use the word 'unpack' in defiance of Sine's moratorium [Big Grin]

As I said, I wasn't brought up in a Christian tradition that treated the Bible differently from other texts. I would approach the Bible the same way I would approach the Quran or Book of Mormon (this is not to say that I consider Islam or Mormonism as true as Christianity!)

Is your belief that the Bible must be approached differently from other texts a foundational belief for you, or is it something you conclude must be true from other beliefs?

--------------------
They did not appear very religious; that is, they were not melancholy; and I therefore suspected they had not much piety - Life of Rev John Murray

Posts: 1894 | From: Thessalonica | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi Grits
quote:
I like what John says:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God... You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world. They are from the world and therefore speak from the viewpoint of the world, and the world listens to them. We are from God, and whoever knows God listens to us; but whoever is not from God does not listen to us. This is how we recognize the Spirit of truth and the spirit of falsehood.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is an awesome responsibility, trying to recognize the Spirit of truth. But it's got to be possible.

But, as a principle, is that not what non-inerrantists are trying to do when they come to the Bible? To see what the Spirit of God is saying through a text which, I would argue, never claims inerrancy for itself*. It's not that we edit the text, determining which bits are OK and which are not. It doesn't work like that, IMO. Rather, it's a matter of encountering the risen Lord by the Holy Spirit through the scriptural record. The whole concept of "editing" scripture, as you perceive non-inerrantists doing, seems to me uncomfortably like treating the bible as a rule book, rather than a place in which such encounters can occur. In a way, whether the Bible was inspired in its' writing is of lesser objective importance than whether it is inspired in its' reading.

*Of course, I realise that the language John is using here, of truth and of falsehood, is slightly inappropriate to this context, but I think that the principle, backed up elsewhere in scripture, can and should be applied to our way of approaching the Bible.

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Posts: 3011 | From: A village of gardens | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I guess I've missed the part about Freddy rejecting the Epistles. So, what parts does he accept? [Smile]

Grits, I wouldn't exactly say that I reject the Epistles. My denomination takes the Epistles as the (essentially true) doctrine of the early church. The only thing I disagree with in Paul is a few of his statements about marriage - that the husband is the head of the wife and that it is better to remain single than to marry.

The canon was determined by councils, and I think that in God's providence they mostly got it right.

The books in the canon are the inspired Word of God, authored by Him through the agency of the writers. They hold within them all the truths of heaven.
quote:
You know, that's always been one of my bugaboos -- how one can feel they have the discernment and the authority to accept or reject certain parts of the Bible. You know my biggest objection to that, though? They want to reject the parts that don't fit their particular theology. I can see where the Epistles would fall into that category.

That's right. As a Swedenborgian my canon is defined by Swedenborg, just as a Lutheran canon might have been defined by Luther or the Catholic canon by the Catholic Church. There are a number of different versions of the canon in Christianity. Swedenborg claims he got it from God, just as we trust that the councils that determined the canon early on were inspired by the Holy Spirit.

Of course any of them might have been wrong. But you have to believe something. I am happy with the canon of my church, just as I suspect most others are. The slight differences in the canon don't do much to alter any church's doctrine.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
It seems natural to me that there would be a continuing tension between the evident unbelievability of many things in the Bible, and its own interlocking claims of revealed truth.

[Ultra confused]

I do not think I disbelieve any of the things you think I disbelieve. I suspect we're talking past each other entirely.
quote:

The way that this seems to go, in my experience, is that it is fairly easy to hold the kind of stance you describe if you don't have to deal that much with the various texts. But the more you get wrapped up in biblical studies the harder it gets to tolerate this tension.

Sorry, Samara, I misunderstood what you were saying. You had said:
quote:
quote:
I mean, how can you accept ideas as valid from a source you find fallible?

I almost don't understand this question. Almost, because I might have asked it myself at one point in life. But I don't really understand the "all-or-nothing" stance. I accept ideas as valid from all kinds of fallible sources. I read an scientific article, say, and with no assumptions about the infallibility of the author accept it or reject as it fits with everything else I know. Or conditionally accept it and hie me to the research stacks.

My attitude to the Bible is not this cavalier, but surely, at least in other circumstances, this idea of weighing evidence is not strange to anyone?

I took this as your agreement with Demas, so my comments were really more directed at what he was saying. I apologize.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry to take so long to comment, Grits.

Freddy had said earlier that in Swedenborgian theology, the Epistles are not given as authoritative a position as other books. Which I interpret as meaning that they are not part of "The Bible" he treats as inerrant. Indeed, he has also said that though he counts them as very important, he disagrees with some of what they say -- showing they are not, in his view, inerrant in the way the gospels are.

I assume you would say the epistles are inerrant, and so you two disagree about what is in the Bible, though you both thing that what is "in the Bible" is inerrant.

Freddy's church excludes the epistles, as he has said, because Swedenborg believed God told him they were not.

So now I have another question for you. Luther decided on his own hook, not even claiming divine inspiration so far as I know, to remove a number of books from "the bible" as set by Ecumenical Council and used for about 1,200 years. I presume you, as I, disagree with Swedenborg about what is "in the Bible". I presume (and I may be doing you an injustice) your version of what is "in the Bible" follows Luther -- as, strictly, I suppose I do since I'm an Anglican. I'm increasingly unhappy about this.

Now I'm not an inerrantist, so it isn't really as big a deal for me what's in and what's out, but how do you regard, say, I Maccabees, or Sirach?

Bible? or not?

And if not, why did Luther (and his followers) get to change the definition of what was and what was not "in the bible", and what was and what was not inerrant?

John

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

John, I am not sure that the fact that Grits and I would disagree about the exact canon is that big a deal.

The differences that result from variations in the canon are not as great as the differences that result from alternate views of what the Bible is - especially views that call into question its status as divine revelation.

Which is not to say that I wouldn't get heated about the idea that the gospel of Judas might really belong in the canon. But none of the various books that are included in the canon by some denominations and not others teach anything strikingly different than the others. My denomination puts the epistles in a slightly different category than the gospels, but I see very little in the epistles that disagrees in any way from the gospels.

In other words, there are two different questions here. One is whether there is such a thing as authoritative written divine revelation. The other is whether this or that particular piece of writing is part of that authoritative written divine revelation. We can agree about the one without agreeing about the other.

--------------------

Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demas:
quote:
Originally posted by Papio:
Why can't I convince myself that it would be possible for me (I mean no implication for anyone else) to hold to Christinity whilst rejecting some parts of the Bible? Why can't I do it?

There is a story about a divorced man who was given a lie detector test; and was asked whether he was married.

"No", he said.

But the polygraph showed that he was lying.

One researcher asked "Why is it showing that he's lying? He knows that he is divorced."

The other researcher explained: "He's Catholic, so in his heart he still believes he is married, the poor bastard".

If you had never been told that you must accept or reject the entire Bible would it even occur to you to think that way? Do you approach any other collection of documents in that way?

Sorry to take a while to come back to this thread, but I think Demas has hit the nail on the head. Of course, I am aware that it isn't rational but that was what i was saying. What I know rationally about certain interpretations of certain verses of the Bible and where they *may* have gone wrong, is different from the way I feel about it all. There is a certain amount of dissonance between what I know in my head and what I "know" in my heart, but to be honest I think maybe I shouldn't have posted as I am not really presenting, or trying to present, a cold, rational arguement.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Posts: 12176 | From: a zoo in England. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grits
# 4169

quote:
Originally posted by Demas:
I too want to use the word 'unpack' in defiance of Sine's moratorium.

Then we'll unpack a revolution!
quote:
Is your belief that the Bible must be approached differently from other texts a foundational belief for you, or is it something you conclude must be true from other beliefs?
That's almost too existential for me, but I'll give it a try. Can I answer that it's probably a bit of both? I feel it is most definitely a foundational belief, but I'm not sure if the "approach" aspect is the correct impression I meant to give about it. I don't want to perpetuate the concept that I "turn off my brain" in regards to any analysis regarding the Bible. I don't, and believe me, in my 50+ years, I have been on every side of just about every perspective. (I remember announcing to my mom when I was a teenager that my friends and I were just going to start our own church some day... so there!) However, I also have a total belief in allowing the Spirit to let the scriptures speak to me, and I have never gotten a "wrong" answer. I don't think there's any other facet of life in which I have such confidence and peace. I'm not completely sure what you mean about "other beliefs" that affect this.
quote:
Originally posted by Jolly Jape:
But, as a principle, is that not what non-inerrantists are trying to do when they come to the Bible? To see what the Spirit of God is saying through a text which, I would argue, never claims inerrancy for itself*. It's not that we edit the text, determining which bits are OK and which are not. It doesn't work like that, IMO. Rather, it's a matter of encountering the risen Lord by the Holy Spirit through the scriptural record. The whole concept of "editing" scripture, as you perceive non-inerrantists doing, seems to me uncomfortably like treating the bible as a rule book, rather than a place in which such encounters can occur. In a way, whether the Bible was inspired in its' writing is of lesser objective importance than whether it is inspired in its' reading.

Yes, I agree with this, although I'd think that leads to the fear of discounting any portion as it might contain something important! I don't consider the Bible as a rule book, but I certainly consider it to be a guide. I would never argue that every pronoun, every verb tense, every name and location is right on the money -- and according to your point, that doesn't really matter, as it is the sum of the words that provide the underlying message. I still wonder, though. why so many believe in an inspired reading and not an inspired writing.
quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
Now I'm not an inerrantist, so it isn't really as big a deal for me what's in and what's out, but how do you regard, say, I Maccabees, or Sirach?

Bible? or not?

And if not, why did Luther (and his followers) get to change the definition of what was and what was not "in the bible", and what was and what was not inerrant?

I'm sure you are familiar with the writings contained in the books which Luther deleted. I guess I've never thought they showed much similarity to other biblical writings. Do you? Are they historical? Certainly. Accurate? Mostly, I imagine. I know they were also set in OT times, so they would be more non-essential to salvation, anyway, I suppose.

John, my very simplistic reasoning has always been the belief that God would not withhold any pertinent text from us, and that if it belongs in the Bible then surely it would be in everyone's Bible. I mean no disrespect to those who include the Apocrypha in their teachings, so I hope this doesn't read that way. If it does, I apologize.

Freddy, I believe the canon issue is probably the most valid: That we are willing and able to accept the beliefs of whatever faith we have received for ourselves. That would explain most everyone's stance on this.

--------------------

samara
Shipmate
# 9932

- Posted      Profile for samara   Email samara   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I still wonder, though. why so many believe in an inspired reading and not an inspired writing.

I can't speak for everyone, but I believe in both. It's just that what most inerrantists mean by inspired writing is not the same as what I mean. So it's hard to communicate at all, sometimes.

I say most, because it seems that my view of the Bible isn't that different from yours. I'm having trouble pinning down where the differences lie. That passage from John seems far removed from most of the actual approaches to Bible study I've seen.

I think I approach the Bible in two ways - as an academic study, where reason and context play a huge role in understanding, and as a spiritual discipline, where I should respond to the Spirit rather than focus on intellectual knots.

Or I would like to. A discomfort not unlike Papio's (maybe?) has made Bible reading very difficult for me for the last few years. That combined with fighting strawmen flung at me (not by present company, by relations and phantom critics) may make me miss-fire in my responses.

(PS: Thank you, Freddy, sorry I sounded snippy. It was a perfectly reasonable reading of what I said, considering the context.)

--------------------

Grits
# 4169

I agree, samara -- I think we are very similar in our approaches to the scriptures. I guess it's all in how literally you accept "God-breathed".

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In other words, there are two different questions here. One is whether there is such a thing as authoritative written divine revelation. The other is whether this or that particular piece of writing is part of that authoritative written divine revelation. We can agree about the one without agreeing about the other.

A third is, is there a hierarchy of sorts within the authoratative written divine revelation, or are all parts on equal footing? Orthodoxy in a sense "values" the gospels more than the epistles, but both are seen as Holy Writ.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
A third is, is there a hierarchy of sorts within the authoritative written divine revelation, or are all parts on equal footing? Orthodoxy in a sense "values" the gospels more than the epistles, but both are seen as Holy Writ.

Thanks, Alexis, that is interesting.

I have also wondered how Orthodoxy "values" the writings of the Holy Fathers, such as St. Basil and John Chrysostom in that hierarchy.

As I understand it, Orthodoxy, and Catholicism somewhat similarly, views these writings, and the decisions of the church councils, as inspired by the Holy Spirit. While not on quite the same level as Scripture, they are nevertheless authoritative. And while any one voice of the Holy Fathers is not definitive, their joint testimony is regarded as divine revelation.

Am I misreading this?

In my denomination the theological writings of Swedenborg are viewed as divine revelation and authoritative on the same level as Scripture. The writings of the early church, and the decisions of councils, by contrast, are not seen that way at all, only as individual fallible opinions which may or may not be true.

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

In my denomination the theological writings of Swedenborg are viewed as divine revelation and authoritative on the same level as Scripture. The writings of the early church, and the decisions of councils, by contrast, are not seen that way at all, only as individual fallible opinions which may or may not be true.

I don't mean to sound rude, but why?

C

--------------------
arse

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
quote:

I don't mean to sound rude, but why?
Cheesy, do you mean why accept Swedenborg, or why consider the writings of the early church, and the decisions of the councils, to be fallible?

Assuming the first, I guess that it is because I have read the books and think that they offer explanations of the Bible and Christian doctrine that hang together as a consistent and rational system. I imagine that most of us feel the same way about whatever system we have accepted.

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Cheesy, do you mean why accept Swedenborg, or why consider the writings of the early church, and the decisions of the councils, to be fallible?

Assuming the first, I guess that it is because I have read the books and think that they offer explanations of the Bible and Christian doctrine that hang together as a consistent and rational system. I imagine that most of us feel the same way about whatever system we have accepted.

Both I suppose. Most Christians would be very wary about holding anything up to be authoritative on the same level as Scripture.

C

--------------------
arse

Grits
# 4169

Perhaps, but that's exactly why there are so many different religions and denominations -- because there are those who have chosen to follow someone's additional interpretation and/or revelation of the original text. Almost every group has some written texts or creed that specifies rules about beliefs, worship, etc. that they tend to turn to even above and beyond the Bible itself. One would have to believe in divine intervention for those writings, as well, I would imagine.

--------------------

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

quote:
quote:

Bible? or not?

I'm sure you are familiar with the writings contained in the books which Luther deleted. I guess I've never thought they showed much similarity to other biblical writings. Do you? Are they historical? Certainly. Accurate? Mostly, I imagine. I know they were also set in OT times, so they would be more non-essential to salvation, anyway, I suppose.

John, my very simplistic reasoning has always been the belief that God would not withhold any pertinent text from us, and that if it belongs in the Bible then surely it would be in everyone's Bible. I mean no disrespect to those who include the Apocrypha in their teachings, so I hope this doesn't read that way. If it does, I apologize.

YOur test of "It would be in everyone's bible" is, IMO, a difficulty.

For about 1,200 years, the Apochryphal books were accepted as canon and "in everyone's bible". They still are "in everyone's bible" in many countries and in two large denominations (at least) -- and those denominations together make up well over half of all Christians. So how does your test work?

The other way your test is difficult is because some Christians already exclude some of what you and I believe to be scripture. If they count, then the test poses a problem, because the books they don't accept are not "in everyone's bible". If they don't count now, suppose the Swedenborgians were to grow suddenly and miraculously (in itself possible evidence that God approves), so that a quarter or a third of those who already exclude the Apochrypha now also excluded some of the epistles. WOuld they count then -- the sheer volume of bibles without the epistles would certainly mean that no one could argue that the epistles were "in everyone's bible".

Did Luther somehow have the right to change scripture by excluding some books? The onus is on him and those who follow his definition to show why he was right to toss out some books. And because I'm afraid I don't accept that every act even of a saint is necessarily good or God's will, there needs to be some evidence that he was doing God's will in changing the canon apart from just the fact that he wanted to. Simply the fact that many christians have chosen to accept his judgement on this is no guarantee at all that he was right.

(And yes, certainly Sirach rates as at least as Godly as some of the bits of Proverbs, and a whole lot more Godly than some of the Psalms -- to take just one of the books in question.)

John

Grits
# 4169

Well, I suppose the fact that I don't support canonization of any kind (other than the sainthood that all believers receive) makes it easy for me, actually. My thoughts on it all would have to precede Luther by centuries, when the original texts were being pulled together -- the Septuagint, gospels, epistles of Paul, etc.

I suppose it all boils down to authorship. If one feels, as I do, that the only true apostles, the only men who truly received and carried the supernatural gifts of the Holy Spirit were the original 12 and Paul, that pretty well clenches the texts we'd consider valid. I actually think that is the bottom line for some people; at least, it is for me.

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
quote:

Both I suppose. Most Christians would be very wary about holding anything up to be authoritative on the same level as Scripture.
That is true of the Sola Scriptura crowd, but both Catholicism and Orthodoxy elevate the writings of the church fathers, the decisions of councils, and the decrees of the Pope to a high level of authority.

The same would have been true of early Christians in their struggle with how to hold the gospels and epistles in relation to the Scriptures of the Old Testament.

I think, though, that our discussions about inerrancy have shown how hard it is to interpret the Bible with confidence in the reliability of the understanding. Churches that accept some kind of authority for doing this don't struggle as much with it as Protestants typically do.

The whole point of inerrancy as a concept is that it answers the question "How do you know?" Reliance on some accepted means of knowing provides an answer that people can base their faith on. If there is no accepted way of getting at this kind of knowledge then it is hard for people to have faith.

The logical way out of this is for there to be objective information revealed by God. I don't see any way around this. But whether it is to be found in the sayings of the Dalai Lama, Punxatawny Phil, or the Torah is up to people to decide for themselves.

--------------------

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

quote:
Well, I suppose the fact that I don't support canonization of any kind (other than the sainthood that all believers receive) makes it easy for me, actually. My thoughts on it all would have to precede Luther by centuries, when the original texts were being pulled together -- the Septuagint, gospels, epistles of Paul, etc.

I suppose it all boils down to authorship. If one feels, as I do, that the only true apostles, the only men who truly received and carried the supernatural gifts of the Holy Spirit were the original 12 and Paul, that pretty well clenches the texts we'd consider valid. I actually think that is the bottom line for some people; at least, it is for me.

Ummm -- the Apochrypha are OT, not NT, so by definition, like Isaiah and Jeremiah, their authors could not have been apostles. Not sure how your bottom line works with the OT.

Everyone agreed until Luther that Sirach was scripture in the same way Job, Proverbs and Psalms were. Most Christians today still accept that Sirach is scripture in this way. So if Luther could exclude Sirach (not because of authorship, but because of a misunderstanding about the relationship between the Septuagint and the much later masoretic text), who can exclude what for any other reason -- and how binding on Christians are these exclusions. And how can we tell today what might turn out tomorrow not to have been scripture at all -- like those poor deluded christians before Luther who didn't know Sirach wasn't scripture -- or, indeed, all those poor deluded christians after Luther who deny his authority to define scripture and still consider Sirach to be scripture.

John

Grits
# 4169

quote:
Ummm -- the Apochrypha are OT, not NT, so by definition, like Isaiah and Jeremiah, their authors could not have been apostles. Not sure how your bottom line works with the OT.

Exactly, which is why I made this statement earlier:
quote:
I know they were also set in OT times, so they would be more non-essential to salvation, anyway, I suppose.
I guess I'm just trying to say that I would be much more concerned if Luther had succeeded in throwing out apostle-written, NT texts. But he didn't, and I believe there is much meaning in that.
quote:
Everyone agreed until Luther that Sirach was scripture in the same way Job, Proverbs and Psalms were. Most Christians today still accept that Sirach is scripture in this way. So if Luther could exclude Sirach (not because of authorship, but because of a misunderstanding about the relationship between the Septuagint and the much later masoretic text), who can exclude what for any other reason -- and how binding on Christians are these exclusions. And how can we tell today what might turn out tomorrow not to have been scripture at all -- like those poor deluded christians before Luther who didn't know Sirach wasn't scripture -- or, indeed, all those poor deluded christians after Luther who deny his authority to define scripture and still consider Sirach to be scripture.
Maybe this would be a good time for me to query what, if any, changes in the plan of salvation would be involved if one did include all these excluded volumes?

--------------------

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

quote:
quote:

Exactly, which is why I made this statement earlier:
quote:
I know they were also set in OT times, so they would be more non-essential to salvation, anyway, I suppose.

[/b]

Fair enough, except that you were the one to introduce the issue of apostolic authorsihip in a discussion about the Apochrypha.

quote:

quote:
[qb]Everyone agreed until Luther that Sirach was scripture in the same way Job, Proverbs and Psalms were. Most Christians today still accept that Sirach is scripture in this way. So if Luther could exclude Sirach (not because of authorship, but because of a misunderstanding about the relationship between the Septuagint and the much later masoretic text), who can exclude what for any other reason -- and how binding on Christians are these exclusions. And how can we tell today what might turn out tomorrow not to have been scripture at all -- like those poor deluded christians before Luther who didn't know Sirach wasn't scripture -- or, indeed, all those poor deluded christians after Luther who deny his authority to define scripture and still consider Sirach to be scripture.
Maybe this would be a good time for me to query what, if any, changes in the plan of salvation would be involved if one did include all these excluded volumes?

One would then be inclined to ask what would be lost of God's plan of salvation if one decided to rule out parts of Exodus (chapter 33 I think it is comes to mind), or some of Proverbs (the ones that comment on how important it is to charge high enough rates of interest to ensure the lender gets a good pay-back) or either (but not both) of Kings (1+2) and Chronicles (1+2), or for that matter any 2 of the minor prophets just about chosen at random -- I'm really not sure how much of God's plan is revealed only in Zephaniah, for example.

You see the problem is that one one starts excluding bits one doesn't like or doesn't feel necessary (and why are they not necessary, if not to you, perhaps to someone else 500 years ago or in the future), one is setting oneself as the judge and arbiter of what is scripture. Saying to oneself -- that bit matters because I think it reveals something of God's plan, but I think that part doesn't because right now sitting here I don't think it does that -- is in my view making oneself the judge over and of scripture.

And when one does that, calling scripture "inerrant" is meaningless, and its authority is made nil -- because it ceases to be something apart from the individual and becomes something the individual can play with and use or ignore at will.

It means that a Roman Catholic, for example, can say the Bible is inerrant, referring to part of Sirach, while you, saying the same thing, mean it is not -- and you believe the epistles are inerrant while someone else may not -- and, indeed, you (and I FWIW) may believe parts of the Gospels are inerrant while others may not. And yet we might all be saying, quite sincerely, that "the bible is inerrant".

I'm a lot more comfortable with accepting the judgement and experience of the church about what writings were revelations of God's will. Making that kind of decision is, in my view, one of the things Christ wanted the church to do.

And I really would like an answer to my question about how anyone can have any assurance in what is and what is not scripture if individuals can decide to throw out bits for sincere reasons but based on false information -- or just because the feel like it -- if enough people are willing to take their word for it. It would seem to me that agreeing some bits are not scripture after 1,200 years of them being accepted as such is playing some awefully nasty games -- if true, it means that those who believed for 1,200 years were wrong and cruelly misled. And that's a judgement I'd be loath to make about someone else's faith, when it was based on what everyone knew and agreed at the time.

John

Grits
# 4169

quote:
Fair enough, except that you were the one to introduce the issue of apostolic authorsihip in a discussion about the Apochrypha.

Actually, that post was about biblical writing in general, not the Apocrypha specifically.
quote:
One would then be inclined to ask what would be lost of God's plan of salvation if one decided to rule out parts of Exodus (chapter 33 I think it is comes to mind), or some of Proverbs (the ones that comment on how important it is to charge high enough rates of interest to ensure the lender gets a good pay-back) or either (but not both) of Kings (1+2) and Chronicles (1+2), or for that matter any 2 of the minor prophets just about chosen at random -- I'm really not sure how much of God's plan is revealed only in Zephaniah, for example.
Right... but I didn't say that anything not pertaining to salvation should be excluded. I said that I would be much more concerned if Luther had succeeded in throwing out apostle-written, NT texts. But he didn't, and I believe there is much meaning in that. Don't you think God has had an active hand in preserving the Bible through the generations? I do.
quote:
You see the problem is that one one starts excluding bits one doesn't like or doesn't feel necessary (and why are they not necessary, if not to you, perhaps to someone else 500 years ago or in the future), one is setting oneself as the judge and arbiter of what is scripture. Saying to oneself -- that bit matters because I think it reveals something of God's plan, but I think that part doesn't because right now sitting here I don't think it does that -- is in my view making oneself the judge over and of scripture.
I think I've said almost the same thing many times before. However, that principle can only apply to what one is presented as holy text. The issue of Luther and the omitted texts is centuries old. I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book. And if anyone takes words away from this book of prophecy, God will take away from him his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book. Apparently, what Luther did wasn't this. I don't believe God would allow a valid portion of His word to be "man-handled" in such a way.
quote:
And when one does that, calling scripture "inerrant" is meaningless, and its authority is made nil -- because it ceases to be something apart from the individual and becomes something the individual can play with and use or ignore at will.
I don't believe we're supposed to "play with" the scriptures, but I do believe it has to be a conscious, individual decision and acceptance, based solely on personal revelation by the Holy Spirit. My salvation, nor my reading of the word, is dependent on no one but myself. True understanding can only come through the Spirit, and I believe in direct revelation. I don't believe in earthly "go-betweens". I believe we are all called.
quote:
I'm a lot more comfortable with accepting the judgement and experience of the church about what writings were revelations of God's will. Making that kind of decision is, in my view, one of the things Christ wanted the church to do.
I actually think He wanted every individual to do that. I just don't want anyone else making those kind of spiritual decisions for me.
quote:
And I really would like an answer to my question about how anyone can have any assurance in what is and what is not scripture if individuals can decide to throw out bits for sincere reasons but based on false information -- or just because the feel like it -- if enough people are willing to take their word for it. It would seem to me that agreeing some bits are not scripture after 1,200 years of them being accepted as such is playing some awefully nasty games -- if true, it means that those who believed for 1,200 years were wrong and cruelly misled. And that's a judgement I'd be loath to make about someone else's faith, when it was based on what everyone knew and agreed at the time.
Here again, you're actually referring to acceptance by established councils, canons, church fathers, etc. Also, I would have to take exception to the statement that every Christian was reading and following these writings for 1,200 years and allowed Luther to throw them out. There's no way you can make me believe that. People wouldn't stand for that now; I don't believe they would have then -- unless it was meant to be. It's been over 1,200 years since they were omitted. too.

I do understand your point here, John:
quote:
It means that a Roman Catholic, for example, can say the Bible is inerrant, referring to part of Sirach, while you, saying the same thing, mean it is not -- and you believe the epistles are inerrant while someone else may not -- and, indeed, you (and I FWIW) may believe parts of the Gospels are inerrant while others may not. And yet we might all be saying, quite sincerely, that "the bible is inerrant".
You assert that the same standards which I place on some who seem to discount portions of the traditional Bible should and/or could also be placed on Luther or any other Christian patriarch who "tampered" with the text. Once again, however, that only holds true if one believes the discarded texts were sacred, and I don't. I know you know the arguments -- They were written in Greek, not Hebrew. They don't claim inspiration. They were never embraced by the Jews. They were not included in the very earliest scriptural collections. They contain unusual tales and principles which contradict other biblical beliefs. That -- along with my belief that God would not have allowed the putting aside of inspired scripture -- is what gives me confidence in my faith in the Bible.

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
I still wonder, though. why so many believe in an inspired reading and not an inspired writing.

I can't speak for everyone, but I believe in both. It's just that what most inerrantists mean by inspired writing is not the same as what I mean. So it's hard to communicate at all, sometimes.
With both of you, I'd say I believe in inspired writing and reading, but we probably don't mean the same thing by "inspired." Later on in this discussion, Grits said --

quote:
Almost every group has some written texts or creed that specifies rules about beliefs, worship, etc. that they tend to turn to even above and beyond the Bible itself. One would have to believe in divine intervention for those writings, as well, I would imagine.
-- and I thought, that's it, that's the difference. I don't think of "inspiration" as being "intervention." I think of inspiration as being pretty normal, something that happens all the time, whereas I get the idea that Grits' idea of inspiration is a lot more elevated and outside the norm. I think my idea of inspired writing is colored by my idea of inspired reading -- if we can reasonably petition God to inspire us every time we read the Bible, it's a pretty ordinary thing, though of course extremely valuable. But not something unusual. And so I think of inspired writing kind of the same way -- not as something rare, but as something many people can reasonably ask for quite regularly.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
and I thought, that's it, that's the difference. I don't think of "inspiration" as being "intervention." I think of inspiration as being pretty normal, something that happens all the time, whereas I get the idea that Grits' idea of inspiration is a lot more elevated and outside the norm.

That is a good insight, Ruth. I guess that a lot of us think in terms of things like Moses on Mt. Sinai - discrete, dramatic, miraculous pronouncements.

Normal inspiration, on the other hand - the kind that everyone gets from time to time - is not something that you necessarily even know that you have had.

In general I would go with what you describe as Grits' idea of inspiration. But I also admit that inspiration must take a number of forms, from the spectacular visions recorded by the prophets, to other books where the writer appears to be stating his own opinion.

--------------------

Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

- Posted      Profile for Psyduck   Author's homepage   Email Psyduck   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like (but can't currently find) ++ William Temple's "Revelation is the coincidence between event and a mind divinely illumined to read it aright." Revelation is what God does. Inspiration, it seems to me, is the immersion in God of the mind that sees what God is doing. I'd see a good analogue in Reformed eucharistic doctrine, in which what God means by the bread and the wine - in that sense' what they most deeply, truly "are", in communion, deeper even than bread and wine - is the Body and Blood. But minds have to be illuminated by faith to see this, and this is the work of the Holy Spirit.

I think this analogy also takes us further. A mind illuminated to grasp something of "what God is doing here" is still hard up against its own human limitations, including its conceptual apparatus. In this sense, "inspiration" is bound to produce an "admixture". The idea that the whole of what God did in this event can be summed up in a bookful of human words is monstrous - as the end of John's Gospel plainly says. The idea that the whole of Scripture is a whole bunch of guys all saying bits of the same thing, so that there's a 1 to 1 correspondence between words and event, is Stepford Wives Theology.

But the idea that Scripture is a symposium on what people thought they saw from where they were standing is much more promising. They all saw something. They all have their ideas of what they saw. But what they say about wht they saw points beyond them to it.

A lot of inerrantist theology sounds to me like it was written by cops taking statements, and assessing potential witnesses. I think we need to grasp that the Biblical concept of "witness" is much richer than, and maybe not much to do with, The Bill, or Cagney and Lacey.

--------------------
The opposite of faith is not doubt. The opposite of faith is certainty.
"Lle rhyfedd i falchedd fod/Yw teiau ar y tywod." (Ieuan Brydydd Hir)

Posts: 5433 | From: pOsTmOdErN dYsToPiA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grits
# 4169

quote:
...to other books where the writer appears to be stating his own opinion.

Very subtle, Freddy. [Smile] I know that's how many people think of Paul and his writings. I see Paul as an apostle ordained by Christ Himself to continue and spread His mission, and I have to believe that his hand and words were guided as much as those of the gospel recorders.

I, too, appreciate your insight, Ruth. Yes, I imagine a great deal of what we consider to be vast differences in our beliefs really hinge on our interpretation of certain aspects of our faith.

I think about passages, such as this one at the end of II Peter:
quote:
For we did not follow cunningly devised fables when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of His majesty... And we heard this voice which came from heaven when we were with Him on the holy mountain. And so we have the prophetic word confirmed, which you do well to heed as a light that shines in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts; knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation, for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.
And, of course, more well-known passages like: "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work."

So, even if one argues that the Bible doesn't claim inerrancy, I do think it claims inspiration in its writing. (There are other verses, of course, but I know how some feel about proof-texting, etc.)

Yes, I do believe there was supernatural intervention in the writing of the Bible. I also believe we can ask for spiritual intervention when we read it. But the inspiration is always there, whether we tap into it or not.

--------------------

Grits
# 4169

quote:
Originally posted by Psyduck:
A lot of inerrantist theology sounds to me like it was written by cops taking statements, and assessing potential witnesses. I think we need to grasp that the Biblical concept of "witness" is much richer than, and maybe not much to do with, The Bill, or Cagney and Lacey.

I don't know about "inerrantist theology", but most of the people I know would not base the accuracy of the scriptures on the writer's actual involvement in the events he recorded. I think they believe the intervention is such that it is more a spiritual retelling than a "statement". I think that's kind of what you're saying here, too.

--------------------

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

quote:
I would have to take exception to the statement that every Christian was reading and following these writings for 1,200 years and allowed Luther to throw them out. There's no way you can make me believe that. People wouldn't stand for that now; I don't believe they would have then -- unless it was meant to be. It's been over 1,200 years since they were omitted. too.

They were counted in when the canon was set -- sometime in the 4th century as I recall. Luther read them out in the middle of the 16th century. What do you mean you don't believe they were there? What do you mean, they were omitted 1,200 years ago? Those statements are simply historically not true.

And I would remind you that the vast majority of Christians didn't and don't read them out -- only a few in northern europe did.

quote:

I know you know the arguments -- They were written in Greek, not Hebrew. They don't claim inspiration. They were never embraced by the Jews. They were not included in the very earliest scriptural collections. They contain unusual tales and principles which contradict other biblical beliefs.

Because these assertions have proven to be more than slightly dubious. FOr example, there are Hebrew texts of some of them. FOr another, they were embraced by the Jews of Jesus' time and the church of the same time. The masoretic text to which I think you refer was set several decades after the church began, and was controversial in Judaism for some time. I'm not sure that we should take the judgement of an admittedly anti-Christian Jewish council as definitive of what Christians should believe is scripture, especially when Christians of the time disagreed. FOr a third, some of the canonical OT embraces tales at least as strange and unusual as are found in the OT.

quote:

That -- along with my belief that God would not have allowed the putting aside of inspired scripture -- is what gives me confidence in my faith in the Bible.

The obvious comment is "which bible". The bible of most christians includes them. And the bible of some other christians excludes some of what you (and I) include.

And the other is that God does seem to allow all sorts of things that appear to my limited eyes to go against the easy way of achieving his will -- I see no reason to suppose that he would have stopped Luther erring in this way, when most christians did not follow Luther in this error.

John

[ 22. June 2006, 17:05: Message edited by: John Holding ]

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I would have to take exception to the statement that every Christian was reading and following these writings for 1,200 years and allowed Luther to throw them out. There's no way you can make me believe that. People wouldn't stand for that now; I don't believe they would have then - unless it was meant to be. It's been over 1,200 years since they were omitted. too. .

I think you are right. There was alwqays some dispute over those books (famously Jerome didn't like them at all)

And they were not accepted by the Jews of Jesus's time and would not have been in his canon.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grits
# 4169

quote:
They were counted in when the canon was set -- sometime in the 4th century as I recall.

And that's exactly my point. I don't think they were part of the very earliest scriptural texts. And those who attempt to follow the pattern of the NT church wouldn't veer off at this point to pick them up, as they would not be under the authority of the canon.
quote:
Luther read them out in the middle of the 16th century. What do you mean you don't believe they were there? What do you mean, they were omitted 1,200 years ago? Those statements are simply historically not true.
That is my error. I should have said 400 years ago. I picked up the 1200 figure from the other statement. I'm not sure about your query regarding me not believing they were there.
quote:
And I would remind you that the vast majority of Christians didn't and don't read them out -- only a few in northern europe did.

Is that true? I'm not doubting you, it's just something I've never thought about. It's just not in my life experience. That makes me wonder again: What difference in the plan of salvation does the inclusion or exclusion of those books make? I have worshipped with literally thousands of people in my life, none of whom have any acquaintance with these texts. What do you think that means to their spiritual condition?
quote:
Because these assertions have proven to be more than slightly dubious. FOr example, there are Hebrew texts of some of them. FOr another, they were embraced by the Jews of Jesus' time and the church of the same time. The masoretic text to which I think you refer was set several decades after the church began, and was controversial in Judaism for some time. I'm not sure that we should take the judgement of an admittedly anti-Christian Jewish council as definitive of what Christians should believe is scripture, especially when Christians of the time disagreed. FOr a third, some of the canonical OT embraces tales at least as strange and unusual as are found in the OT.
Then I guess it all goes back to what one chooses to believe. For every point, there seems to be a counter-point. My "valid" is your "dubious", and so on. But that's OK -- we wouldn't have much to discuss otherwise, eh?
quote:
The obvious comment is "which bible". The bible of most christians includes them. And the bible of some other christians excludes some of what you (and I) include.

And the other is that God does seem to allow all sorts of things that appear to my limited eyes to go against the easy way of achieving his will -- I see no reason to suppose that he would have stopped Luther erring in this way, when most christians did not follow Luther in this error.

I see your viewpoint here.

--------------------

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Psyduck:

quote:
I suppose an example of this is the geneaologies of Christ in Matthew and Luke which don't marry up and which were probably, in large part, made up.

It all hinges on what people think genealogies are there for. Nowadays they are supposed to be pretty accurate. If you can prove that you are the second cousing twice removed to the late Duke of Omnium you inherit his title.

But I don't think that ancient genealogies were that scientific. Alfred the Great, for example, claimed to be descended both from Wotan and our Lord's cousin (which means our own dear Queen...), I don't think this was taken terribly literally but it is meant to tell a story about Alfred being noble and distinguished.

Similarly Matthew is telling a story about Jesus' role in the history of the people of the covenant. For an inerrantist, I suppose, the literal truth of the story would be important. Matthew must have had access to baptismal registers and all those names must have been real people. Or Herbert McCabe was right when he remarked that we know very little about the names after the deportation, probably because Matthew made most of them up. Ancient genealogists did fill up gaps in genealogies. It's most likely that Matthew (and Luke) did the same.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Callan:
quote:
Matthew must have had access to baptismal registers and all those names must have been real people.
He didn't need no stinkin' baptismal registers. He was God's own dictophone! And so was Luke! God has spoken. It's up to us to wrestle with the Gospel and push and shove it into a shape that we can sincerely say has no contradictions 'cuz ipso facto God would never contradict himself. [Razz]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

- Posted      Profile for Psyduck   Author's homepage   Email Psyduck   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Callan:
quote:
I suppose an example of this is the geneaologies of Christ in Matthew and Luke which don't marry up and which were probably, in large part, made up.

And if we're talking about a Virgin Birth, well - what's the point?

As Luke kinda' concedes:
quote:
Jesus, when he began his ministry, was about thirty years of age, being the son (as was supposed) of Joseph, the son of Heli...

...but he still gives the genealogy! Or maybe we should see it as part of one hell of a CV for a childminder... [Ultra confused]

--------------------

Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

While googling for the Temple quote, I came across this, which I don't think has been linked to before. I think it's full of holes, but it might clarify the debate a bit even if we use it for "target practice" from our various positions.

--------------------

samara
Shipmate
# 9932

quote:
Originally posted by Callan:
But I don't think that ancient genealogies were that scientific. Alfred the Great, for example, claimed to be descended both from Wotan and our Lord's cousin (which means our own dear Queen...), I don't think this was taken terribly literally but it is meant to tell a story about Alfred being noble and distinguished.

You could do that by telling a story where Alfred is noble and distinguished.

But I agree actually. Without any scholarship to back it up, I would guess that it would also claim authority for Alfred, and be a way of saying "You there, Wotan followers, and you there, Christians, I have blood ties with you both. Therefore I am a good and apt leader." Without the literalness of the blood ties being at issue - but the powerful image being true.

It's very hard to know how the presentation of truth changed, and how much damage our twenty-first century assumptions do to ancient writers. Is our "just the facts" attitude towards truth nonsensical in this context? But then what was truth in narrative? And how can we know?

--------------------

samara
Shipmate
# 9932

Ack, Psyduck. I couldn't read the whole thing. I got stuck on this point, this assumption the whole thing seems to be founded on:
quote:

Words written meaningfully are, of course, propositions.

There is no of course about it! Propositions are one form words may take. Not the only form, most certainly not the only meaningful form. What kind of claim is this?

Words are fallible things. That God would speak to us in language - that is Incarnation. God! The Divine Creator, deigning to use these clumsy, broken, human things!

---

My supervisor has pointed out, in a critique of a paper of mine, that a phrase like "of course" is an almost sure sign that the author has no argument for the point and must rely on assertion. I will charitably add that the lack of argument might be a natural result of it never occuring to the author that the point could be arguable. Either way, it's a sticking point.

--------------------

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh dear! I scatter 'of course' around my posts like confetti! Clearly I'll have to find a subtler form of handwaving. [Biased]

I was a little puzzled by the jump from oracles to propositions. Oracles, in antiquity, though reliable were often ambiguous. Remember Croesus of Lydia who attacked Persia because if he did he would destroy a mighty Empire...

What is interesting is that Knox's argument seems to import the presuppositions of (then) fashionable Anglo-American philosophy into theology. If Aquinas baptised Aristotle and Milbank baptised Derrida then Knox has baptised, AFAICS, Freddie Ayer and Wittgenstein mark one!

Sydney Anglicanism - Radical Orthodoxy for the 1930s! [Biased]

The general thesis seems to be: "I believe in inerrancy. Inerrancy is conditional on propositonal revelation. Therefore propositional revelation is true". I will leave the gentle reader to establish whether the propositions are true and the argument valid.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

Samara, that's where I am with it. I posted it not just so we nons-propositionalists could have fun shelling it, but because I think it's a weak exposition of the propositionalist standpoint, and our literalist friends on this thread might well generate light by offering a critique of it fromn their position.

I'm busy writing up my thesis. (Well, no, at this very moment I'm engaged in the "displacement activity" of posting on the Ship... [Hot and Hormonal] ) and I find that on the odd occasion I've used "of course" or some such, I seem to have been driven to add a footnote substantiating what I say.

--------------------

samara
Shipmate
# 9932

I would be interested in some defense of the ideas. I would like to understand the point of view, at least.

And Callan, I was also puzzled by the oracles=revealed truth. I can't think of any cases where oracles are clear propositional statements. It not being my area of study, this could be my ignorance, but it seems very strange.

--------------------

Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

Callan:
quote:
I was a little puzzled by the jump from oracles to propositions.
He shoots... HE SCORES!!!

--------------------

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

Originally posted by Samara:

quote:
And Callan, I was also puzzled by the oracles=revealed truth. I can't think of any cases where oracles are clear propositional statements. It not being my area of study, this could be my ignorance, but it seems very strange.
'Delphic' is, of course(!), a synonym for ambiguous. Apart from the case of King Croesus mentioned above the other famous instance is that of King Laius of Thebes who was warned that his son would murder his father and sleep with his mother. Laius promptly gave orders to have the child exposed, setting in motion the chain of events that would lead to his death and Oedipus' marriage to his mother Jocasta.

Oracles aren't statements of the kind: 'The King of France is bald' that is rather the point. The statement 'if you attack Persia you will destroy a mighty empire' can mean two things entirely inconsistent with one another. Oracles are ambiguous and they drive the plot, as it were.

Besides how does insisting that all meaningful language is propositional help one to interpret the Revelation of St. John the Divine or the Song of Solomon? Not at all, I would have thought. The obvious import of comparing one's lovers breasts to gazelles is entirely trivial and the obvious import of a third of the stars falling into the sea is entirely useless - stars are not small points of light that can fall into the sea in this way. You need to have categories of irony, symbol, metaphor, analogy and so forth. Insisting on applying Tarski's correspondence theory of truth is only going to be of limited applicability. Which is why Augustine, for example, discusses the interpretation of ambiguous signs in his 'On Christian Doctrine'. The whole thing is really an exercise in what N.T. Wright describes as deciding that God gave us the wrong sort of Bible and reinterpreting it to be the kind of Bible the writer wants.

--------------------

Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

One of the abiding gains of form-critical study of the prophetic literature is the recognition that it is in very large part an "oral literature", and that's not an oxymoron! It's weird to read the scholarly debate, which proceeded well into the twentieth century, as to what the basic unit of the prophetic literature is, and to find the Great Names of OT scholarship arguing as to whether we should be thinking in terms of long sermons, short sermons or the "composition" of whole books. The form-critical classic here is Westermann's "Basic Forms of Prophetic Speech"; the application of form criticism to the prophets yields comparatively brief units, composed to a relatively rigid set of forms, though sometimes mismatches of form and content are clearly deliberately used to produce a novel and subversive utturance. But the fundamental insights are the oral character of these oracles (note the etymological connection!) the clear use of memory-friendly techniques (above all, verse!) to allow for their transmission, the secondary nature of their context in the written books (often assembled like a necklace of pearls on nothing more than the "catchword" principle) and the inisght that these oracles were reltained because they could become context-idependent and speak in new ways to new generations, effectively saying new things.

In other words, the prophetic oracles are preaching. By the time of the NT, it's no doubt true that this insight had been partly lost because of confusion with apocalyptic, which is a written genre (that's the salient technical distinction between prophecy and apocalyptic) and prophecy had thereby become understood as "foretelling" to the exclusion of "forthtelling" - but it's still surely the case that the "lively oracles of God" are "lively" because they continue to live, and to find new context and authority in the preaching of the Church.

Which is the preaching of Christ.

[Slap of gauntlet being thrown down.] I don't think it's possible to adopt a propositional view of revelation which doesn't degenerate* into an understanding that ultimately revelation is the Bible and not Jesus Christ.

*assuming that's not where it actually starts!

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  ...  42  43  44 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016