homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Dead Horses   » biblical inerrancy (Page 34)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  ...  42  43  44 

Source: (consider it) Thread: biblical inerrancy
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the Darwin thread, Jamat said:

quote:
If it was a person we were talking about I'd agree with you; but consider where does that kind of attitude get you? God is not genocidal. 'Man,' if he did the same thing would be. That kind of category error somehow seeks to judge God on our terms and we simply are not in the position of knowledge or power to do it.
quote:
Originally posted by JRR Tolkien

'How shall a man judge what to do in such times?'

'As he ever has judged,' said Aragorn. 'Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves, and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house.'

Where does that kind of attitude get me? Is that the right question to ask? I'm sure it leads me to a better place than being cool with mass slaughter of innocents, if nothing else.

[ 04. December 2014, 11:55: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you can look at the Pentateuch and Joshua and say "God is not genocidal" then you have redefined the word "genocidal" to no longer mean what it has always meant.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The trouble is Karl, 3000 years ago the judgement of men about God's judgement was firmly enmired in mud and blood. As it was by Christian men just a hundred ago from the Atlantic to the Urals. The tide that then went south ... and east in that region. A tide that's building up in the east from where it's got nowhere to go.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
That's entirely up to you mate.

And anadromously, how can one be sophisticatedly inerrantist about the God revealed in Jesus ordering the genocide of the Amalekites through His most faithful prophet Samuel?

I used to be able to do it.

Lost the knack.

Is there a way back?

Why would you want to go back? Something that is demonstrably foolish will continue to be foolish, whether you are "back" or not.

[ 04. December 2014, 21:02: Message edited by: Horseman Bree ]

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't worry 'aitch Bree. I was being ironic. Heraclitus applies. Or even if the light goes off, you know what you saw.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Is there a way back?

No. Only forwards. But you don't walk alone.

Thank you, Louise, for bumping this thread. I kept finding it, getting partway through it and then losing it again. I now have hope that I'll manage to read it all.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

- Posted      Profile for Jamat   Author's homepage   Email Jamat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cary Article if anyone interested.

--------------------
Jamat ..in utmost longditude, where Heaven
with Earth and ocean meets, the setting sun slowly descended, and with right aspect
Against the eastern gate of Paradise. (Milton Paradise Lost Bk iv)

Posts: 3228 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

- Posted      Profile for Jamat   Author's homepage   Email Jamat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
On the Darwin thread, Jamat said:

quote:
If it was a person we were talking about I'd agree with you; but consider where does that kind of attitude get you? God is not genocidal. 'Man,' if he did the same thing would be. That kind of category error somehow seeks to judge God on our terms and we simply are not in the position of knowledge or power to do it.
quote:
Originally posted by JRR Tolkien

'How shall a man judge what to do in such times?'

'As he ever has judged,' said Aragorn. 'Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves, and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house.'

Where does that kind of attitude get me? Is that the right question to ask? I'm sure it leads me to a better place than being cool with mass slaughter of innocents, if nothing else.

Love the Tolkien quote.
So what is the right question? If you look at any line of enquiry you see where it leads. Your answer to this question determines your whole view of God viz Can I accept the Biblical God or not. On current understandings you clearly can't as God as the OT (and much of the NT) presents him is not the God of love we envisage. So what to do? shut the door or keep it open a crack?

--------------------
with Earth and ocean meets, the setting sun slowly descended, and with right aspect

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jamat:
So the point of all this is? Or do you just want me to tell you you are right? You are, but so am I in this instance. Can we leave it there?

No, you're not right. You're claiming that you can simply discriminate between bits of the Bible that are literal descriptions and bits that are metaphorical descriptions, without reference to independent knowledge (e.g. classical astronomy, modern evolution, basic botany). And in order to do this you have to put forward a theory of metaphor and simile that is not true.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
quote:
So the point of all this is? Or do you just want me to tell you you are right? You are, but so am I in this instance. Can we leave it there?

No, you're not right. You're claiming that you can simply discriminate between bits of the Bible that are literal descriptions and bits that are metaphorical descriptions, without reference to independent knowledge (e.g. classical astronomy, modern evolution, basic botany). And in order to do this you have to put forward a theory of metaphor and simile that is not true.
Whatever.

[Snore]

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

At least he got this right: 'The story of Rahab's family escaping the Canaanite genocide is, like the story of the Flood, the story of what did not happen.'.

Even if the Jews massacred the Canaanites. Which I'm sure they did.

I've shared his Zionism too. I look forward to him being pruned of it.

[ 05. December 2014, 10:32: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

--------------------
Love wins

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

Thanks for reading it Martin. I think Zionist is a bit strong. You don't have to be a Zionist to see that the OT scriptures have a particular Jewish POV. I guess if for you historicity is in question that's a different issue but assuming You think Canaan was conquered, why doubt the Rahab story? Are you not just selectively choosing what you want to justify?
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Are you not just selectively choosing what you want to justify?

Don't we all, inerrantists, errantists, newbies, elders, theologians, atheists....?

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Because it's a self serving and transcendent myth 3400 years old, predicated on the first myth: of redemptive violence.

Why didn't he believe it?

Even though he's a Zionist? As only Christian literalists can be.

--------------------
Love wins

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Cary Article if anyone interested.

That must be one if the worst teachings I've ever read. Combination of "don't worry your pretty little head about things you cannot understand" and " Yes, he beat other women horrifically, but marry him anyway because they deserved it".
It does nothing to explain how an All-Powerful, Omnicient, All-Loving GOD can do naught to lead a people down the right path save have them all killed.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... Are you not just selectively choosing what you want to justify?

From your link:
quote:
... (re: the Old Testament commandments:)
We read them and believe them to be the Word of God, but we don't try to put all of them into practice.

So it's all the word of God, with some words being more equal than others. Glad that's settled.

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

quote:
Originally posted by Soror Magna:
quote:
... Are you not just selectively choosing what you want to justify?

From your link:
quote:
... (re: the Old Testament commandments:)
We read them and believe them to be the Word of God, but we don't try to put all of them into practice.

So it's all the word of God, with some words being more equal than others. Glad that's settled.

You may possibly know this but there were
613 commandments in the Torah and no one could keep them all and yes, that settled something because as Paul said: "for by the law comes the knowledge of sin". But these were given to Jews so in the OT the way to come into relationship with God was to become Jewish and if you didn't you were toast but you could, like Rahab did or Ruth did, join the Lord's people. Now of course it is not about keeping the Torah but rather joining oneself to Christ who was the only human ever to keep it perfectly. That's I guess why we call it good news the righteousness of the law is imputed to the ones who belong to Jesus. [Smile]

--------------------

itsarumdo
Shipmate
# 18174

- Posted      Profile for itsarumdo     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't there a big difference between the God of the OT and the God of the NT?

--------------------
"Iti sapis potanda tinone" Lycophron

Posts: 994 | From: Planet Zog | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by itsarumdo:

God doesn't change, of course.

But our perception of God changes all the time. For example, the prophets and priests in the OT each had very different views of God.

Anything written of God is from human perspective - so we can't expect consistency or inerrancy, either Biblical or otherwise.

We have to use our own wisdom and sense to decide what is right.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

The Books are not a cookbook. Not flat.

--------------------
Love wins

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

No - and there's more wrath and judgement in the NT than the OT details here

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:

God doesn't change, of course.

But our perception of God changes all the time. For example, the prophets and priests in the OT each had very different views of God.

Anything written of God is from human perspective - so we can't expect consistency or inerrancy, either Biblical or otherwise.

We have to use our own wisdom and sense to decide what is right.

You are right Boogie about us. We are terribly subject to fashion, intellectual and otherwise. But God as Leo points out to be God must be consistent despite this. Of course if he is a creation of human subjectivity then all bets on consistency are off. One of the problems for the latter view is what to do with inconvenient texts in scripture since it remains quite stubborn in its assertions. The problem becomes how to make scripture line up with our latest PC version of what God should be like.

[ 07. December 2014, 18:07: Message edited by: Jamat ]

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
PC version of God. That appears a bit dismissive of the very real inconsistencies in the bible that many sincere Christians struggle with.
If the Bible is literal, God is an insecure, petulant, ineffective bastard. This judgement is rendered by the only resources we puny humans have with which to engage anything.

And, as you have admitted there are parts of the bible which are figurative, you purported approach is not literal. You are very much choosing which bits you like and which you don't.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

If the Bible is flat then God is not known in Jesus.

God is a lie in Jesus.

--------------------
Love wins

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

3c8ch9
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
PC version of God. That appears a bit dismissive of the very real inconsistencies in the bible that many sincere Christians struggle with.
If the Bible is literal, God is an insecure, petulant, ineffective bastard. This judgement is rendered by the only resources we puny humans have with which to engage anything.

And, as you have admitted there are parts of the bible which are figurative, you purported approach is not literal. You are very much choosing which bits you like and which you don't.

Why are you to so determined that figurative and literal are mutually exclusive cast iron categories? That particular bone was never my choice of battle ground. ( sorry for mixing the metaphors.) If you want to look at inconsistencies that's fair enough. What inconsistencies particularly bug you?
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

You say they are.

--------------------
Love wins

Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

- Posted      Profile for Pre-cambrian   Email Pre-cambrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Of course if he is a creation of human subjectivity then all bets on consistency are off. One of the problems for the latter view is what to do with inconvenient texts in scripture since it remains quite stubborn in its assertions.

I think you've got this the wrong way round. If God is a creation of human subjectivity then inconsistency is very easy to deal with. It's simply a case of what each human writer felt a god ought to be like. Then it's easy to dismiss what they say as the spoutings of a bigot on a bad day. (Yes, and bigots often say the same things; modern politics shows how they cling together.)

It's when you are taking the inerrancy route that you have a problem. Then you have the difficulty of: an apparently genocidal god; that you believe really did order these things; that you still consider worthy of worship; who should be the exemplar of human behaviour; but nevertheless we are expected to believe that you are not a physical threat to the rest of society.

--------------------
"We cannot leave the appointment of Bishops to the Holy Ghost, because no one is confident that the Holy Ghost would understand what makes a good Church of England bishop."

Posts: 2314 | From: Croydon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

quote:
Originally posted by Pre-cambrian:
quote:
Of course if he is a creation of human subjectivity then all bets on consistency are off. One of the problems for the latter view is what to do with inconvenient texts in scripture since it remains quite stubborn in its assertions.

I think you've got this the wrong way round. If God is a creation of human subjectivity then inconsistency is very easy to deal with. It's simply a case of what each human writer felt a god ought to be like. Then it's easy to dismiss what they say as the spoutings of a bigot on a bad day. (Yes, and bigots often say the same things; modern politics shows how they cling together.)

It's when you are taking the inerrancy route that you have a problem. Then you have the difficulty of: an apparently genocidal god; that you believe really did order these things; that you still consider worthy of worship; who should be the exemplar of human behaviour; but nevertheless we are expected to believe that you are not a physical threat to the rest of society.

But that totally depends on what you mean by inerrancy. Incidentally,if you want to be very afraid of someone's beliefs you'd be better to target the jihadist lot, people with a real track record of intolerance, violence and genocide.

[ 07. December 2014, 23:02: Message edited by: Jamat ]

--------------------

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pre-cambrian:
quote:

Well, that's silly. Biblical inerrantists believe that genocide, to paraphrase Will Cuppy, was morally acceptable around 1000 BC but not before or since. There are arguments against that (to put it politely) but I don't worry about the likes of Jamat crying havoc and letting slip the Dogs of War. I think that genocide is always and everywhere wrong but if someone tells me that God made an exception to that rule 3000 years ago, I may scratch my head in puzzlement but I feel no need to regard them as a physical threat to society.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

quote:
You say they are.

Your legendary ramblings are sometimes comprehensible but not on this occasion.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The problem becomes how to make scripture line up with our latest PC version of what God should be like.

Not at all.

The task is to work out what God is like and what is right from our own judgement and from what other people say. That includes the writers of the Bible.

There are many people we can turn to for help with this, of course - but none of them are infallible or inerrant.

'Tis the nature of life as a human - life is uncertain in every respect. Once we accept that we are half way towards working out how to live our lives.

<speelung>

[ 08. December 2014, 10:36: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Boogie is right. The proper question is not whether scripture is inerrant, but which interpretations of it are errant. And I'd suggest that head of the errant list are those which start with the 6 day Creation and move forward from there.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

We're used to this particular bit of belittling, to be honest. We get it a lot. If it's PC to have issues with genocide, then it seems to me that PC is a damned good thing. What's the alternative? Being cool with mass slaughter? No thanks.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

- Posted      Profile for MSHB   Email MSHB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
Boogie is right. The proper question is not whether scripture is inerrant, but which interpretations of it are errant. And I'd suggest that head of the errant list are those which start with the 6 day Creation and move forward from there.

I am not even sure where we could get an inerrant interpretation. Catholics rightly point out that, if you want inerrant interpretation, you have to have an inerrant church teaching authority (a.k.a Pope), and not just an inerrant book. An inerrant book is useless as the source of inerrant truth without an inerrant reader/interpreter.

If you don't want to submit to a pope and his interpretation, then errancy seems to be the only alternative. Of course, many Protestants prefer to submit to popes, but they call their popes "Pastor".

But yes, some interpretations seem more errant than others, and those interpretations that ignore the possible range of literary types and insist that every passage of the Bible be treated as eye-witness historical record (e.g. Genesis 1-3) are candidates for top place on the errancy list.

--------------------
MSHB: Member of the Shire Hobbit Brigade

Posts: 1522 | From: Dharawal Country | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

"Why are you to so determined that figurative [Genesis] and literal [science] are mutually exclusive cast iron categories?"

--------------------
Love wins

Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

Quoth Jamat:
quote:
But that totally depends on what you mean by inerrancy. Incidentally,if you want to be very afraid of someone's beliefs you'd be better to target the jihadist lot, people with a real track record of intolerance, violence and genocide.

Just so long as you include the real chance that Christians have shown that they can also be just as "intolerant, violent and genocidal", and that within living memory, if not actually at this moment. All they need is for one sect or cult to get a modicum of political power. Not all "jihadis" are Muslim, so stop throwing mud at other people.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Inconsistencies Jamat?
How about Kill your disobedient children v. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone?
Or genocide of the infidels v. The Good Samaritan?

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:
Quoth Jamat: [QUOTE] stop throwing mud at other people.

What? personal aspersions? I wish you well Horseman Bree and also Karl who has read 'belittling' into something I said.
Both of you have a wonderful Christmas. [Smile]

--------------------

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

quote:
Inconsistencies Jamat?
How about Kill your disobedient children v. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone?
Or genocide of the infidels v. The Good Samaritan?

I do not really get the issue as these things are contextual. I wouldn't quibble about the difference between a Mosaic injunction and Jesus' admonition as I think Moses is superseded by him. Nevertheless, there are lots of places we can find inconsistencies. I think the issue is how we deal with them.
Incidentally,in case it is not clear,(not that it signifies much,) I am not a legalistic inerrantist. I think I see the Bible as 'Holy Word' rather than some kind of Black/white road code document.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Good, so you have no problem with the literal - evolution - and the figurative - Genesis.

--------------------
Love wins

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:
The problem becomes how to make scripture line up with our latest PC version of what God should be like.

Not at all.

The task is to work out what God is like and what is right from our own judgement and from what other people say. That includes the writers of the Bible.

There are many people we can turn to for help with this, of course - but none of them are infallible or inerrant.

'Tis the nature of life as a human - life is uncertain in every respect. Once we accept that we are half way towards working out how to live our lives.

<speelung>

For all practical purposes I agree with you Boogie. Most of the time we look at our own moral radar and the scripture and maybe some discussion and we get where we want to go. The problem is when that isn't enough. Many have their traditions to fall back on at this point I suppose.

--------------------

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

quote:
Good, so you have no problem with the literal - evolution - and the figurative - Genesis.

I still don't understand what your beef is Martin.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

I don't have one. You do.

--------------------
Love wins

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MSHB:
I am not even sure where we could get an inerrant interpretation. Catholics rightly point out that, if you want inerrant interpretation, you have to have an inerrant church teaching authority (a.k.a Pope), and not just an inerrant book. An inerrant book is useless as the source of inerrant truth without an inerrant reader/interpreter.

If you don't want to submit to a pope and his interpretation, then errancy seems to be the only alternative. Of course, many Protestants prefer to submit to popes, but they call their popes "Pastor".

But yes, some interpretations seem more errant than others, and those interpretations that ignore the possible range of literary types and insist that every passage of the Bible be treated as eye-witness historical record (e.g. Genesis 1-3) are candidates for top place on the errancy list.

That's just silly. There is no inerrancy in any human regardless of your's or their assertion about it.

The protestant and pope comment seems just bizarre.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

quote:
I don't have one. You do.

What is it then? words of one syllable would help. You already know I believe Adam was real as we need him for Christ to be real. I have no problem with people believing in evolution if they want to. It is the biggest metaphor of the last 2 centuries IMV. Do I have any other problems in your view? if not then cheers and a joyous festive season to you.
Jamat

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
MSHB, keep going - you're headed in the right direction there. How does any of us know which is the inerrant interpretation?

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

We don't. You do. So you have to declare the literal truth a lie.

--------------------
Love wins

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Martin60, is the "you" in your post directed at me? I've certainly not claimed that I know the inerrant interpretation - and would not make that claim. I do know that I am suspicious of those who make that sort of claim based upon an understanding that has very few, if any, other adherents; or is one reliant upon the sudden discovery by the author of a hitherto secret document.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

'strewth Gee D! I see how you could easily link what I said to your comment, but look up.

--------------------
Love wins

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

quote:
We don't. You do. So you have to declare the literal truth a lie.

Why is that Martin? I have stated that figurative does not in my view preclude literal. They are not mutually exclusive ( except to some of the iconoclasts round here.)

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  ...  42  43  44 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016