homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Dead Horses   » biblical inerrancy (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  42  43  44 

Source: (consider it) Thread: biblical inerrancy
Freehand

The sound of one hand clapping
# 144

- Posted      Profile for Freehand   Email Freehand   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
gbuchanan, I wasn't exactly clear on how I was using the term objective. I guess that I was mainly contrasting it with subjective (it seems to be right). What I am looking for is some pointer outside of the Bible that is able to verify that the Bible is inerrant. There are several ways that this could happen.

Can it be proven that the Bible was written by God and documented without errors? I don't think so because we were not there when it was written. There are "thus saith the Lord" passages, but how do we know that they were documented or translated clearly? Anyone can say they have a vision from God. If I believed every person that said they had a vision from God, then I would probably end up in a mental institution.

So what other kinds of evidence could we have? The inerrancy of the Bible would be a tenable point if it is found to be beautifully consistent. I don't find it consistent. The closer that I look, the more inconsistent it seems. We've been talking about the inconsistency between "God is love" and "God commanded people to commit genocide." There are other foundational issues that I have problems with.

I guess another kind of evidence would be if the Bible was shown to work. Does it change the lives of people that believe it to be inerrant? That's pretty hard to judge, but perhaps it describes why some people believe it. This is a line of thought that I did not consider because I have felt something missing in church for so long. Christians are really great people, but I don't see the level of transformation that is claimed in the Bible.

I agree that some sort of base assumption is required. I am making the assumption that a book that is inerrant should not contradict itself. There are a number of contradictions that I just can't swallow any more. I know that there are harmonizations, but, to me, they don't justify the tremendous scope of the contradictions. So, for myself, I have disproven the concept of inerrancy. This doesn't mean that I have disproven the entire Bible. It just means that certain concepts are unreconcilable. To disprove the entire Bible, I would have to disprove every sentence. That would be an impossible task.

In addition, the concept of inerrancy typically goes along with a rejection of the authority of the church councils. This rejects the very source of the Bible itself. It was a church council that chose the manuscripts for the Bible. All of the church councils are rejected aside from the one council that picked the Bible. This, to me, also undermines the authority of the Bible. For this reason, Mousetheif's approach appeals to me. However, it doesn't necessarily solve anything. It pushes the question back to whether I have confidence in the church. This is an even bigger task that can probably only be accomplished through spending time in fellowship with other believers (which I am still doing btw) and in learning the teachings of the church.

Science is good at describing things that happen consistently and can be measured. God does not appear to be consistent or quantifiable.

I think that 1, 2 and 3 are possible. I have to rule out 4.

There's my take,

Freehand

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gbuchanan:
On reviewing this thread, I can't see much (indeed anything) which defines what is "theological" or "spiritual" which can be easily separated from "the rest" of the Bible - any takers on the inerrantist side?

Phrases such as "theologically inerrant" are meaningless unless some semantics are placed upon them - I don't think we have many literalists here, but if the Bible isn't purely made of "theologically inerrant" stuff, how do I tell the difference?

This is a good question, and not an easy one to answer.

You might say that the stories may have the numbers or the actions wrong, but that the teachings are correct.

This, however, I think we agree, just doesn't hold up. There are teachings that Moses gave that are completely, and rightly, contradicted by Jesus. There are declarations attributed to God Himself ("Let Me alone, that I may destroy them!" Exodus 32.10) that couldn't possibly have really come from God.

So it is no easy trick to tease out what is purely spiritual.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ekalb
Shipmate
# 2642

- Posted      Profile for ekalb     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
first, I want to thank freehand and glen for their kind posts.

THough I am an 'inerrantist', I highly respect the very real, very honest objections to inerrancy that have been raised by the more skeptical among us.
If I might be so bold as to speak for the 'average' Christian, I think that there is a "little skeptic" that resides within all believers too. It is that little voice that gets in the way at the most inapropriate times.

This post is not about the 'tension' of faith that exists in Christians, but I think that inerrantists have often been unfortunately stereotyped.

I think a lot of the problem stems from the close relationship that 'inerrancy' and 'fundamentalism' has. There are many ill-learned pastors and priests who will universally condemn a certain segment of society (i.e. homosexuals, psychics, etc.) to hell and rationalize it with the flawless authority of scripture. (Yikes)
Likewise, there are hosts of Christian believers who 'wear a mask of confidence' about the Bible when, inwardly, there are genuine doubts. - This gives a very inacurrate picture and understanding of what I consider to be the 'pilgrimage' of the Christian faith.

I think that we have to be VERY careful in our exegesis of Biblical texts for one. But the fact remains that there just aren't any easy answers as to believing the Bible to be inerrant. Furthermore, the fact that 'inerrnacy' lacks a coherent and standardized 'defenition doesn't help matters. - Some "inerrantists" condemn other "inerrantists" for holding to evolution for an example.

I feel like I am rambling on, so I'll just say that I do believe that God can communicate "clearly" to us. It remains to be seen what we would define as clear communication though, much less if God has used 'maximum' clarity in the bible, or even if He wants to clearly communicate.

Personally, I agree with scripture that "SUrely, [God] [is] a God who hides [Himself]."
I don't think the real issue is whether we can "proove" GOd or the Bible through empiracle means (Although, I do think God has given us a logical and reasonable faith), rather I agree with Thomas Cahill in his book on the Jews, - We must believe in God as one believes in his friend or family member. God is a person. We are persons. SOmetimes I doubt my friends love or intentions regarding me, as sometimes I doubt God's love and intentions regarding me. The point is that the doubts are (as they are in the scriptures) revolving God's character not His existence.

Wow! I apologize for getting off track here. I'm sure that I can subjectively tie this in with biblical inerrnacy somehow.

I'll be back to continue this very profitable debate later.

--------------------
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please."
- Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

Posts: 347 | From: Purgatory (Canada) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bonzo
Shipmate
# 2481

- Posted      Profile for Bonzo   Email Bonzo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Originally posted by ekalb

Likewise, there are hosts of Christian believers who 'wear a mask of confidence' about the Bible when, inwardly, there are genuine doubts. - This gives a very inacurrate picture and understanding of what I consider to be the 'pilgrimage' of the Christian faith.

For once we agree, This dishonesty about one's doubts is a large part of the reason why inerrancy remains a widespread view (though I'm sure it's no longer the view of the average Christian).

It's hardly surprising that people are dishonest about their doubts. The Chigago Statement On Bilical Inerrancy which has been referenced on this thread says 'To Stray from Scripture in faith or conduct is disloyalty to our Master'. People in churches controlled by this wholly unacceptable view would have to be very strong to 'come out' about their doubts.

Consequently inerrancy remains largely unquestioned in such places. If people were honest, then inerrancy would have been consigned to the scrap heap, as an irrational doctrine, long ago.

The vocal nature of such people (despite their doubt) has served to put a great many people off the Christian faith.

--------------------
Love wastefully

Posts: 1150 | From: Stockport | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gauk
Shipmate
# 1125

- Posted      Profile for Gauk     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Freehand spake thus:

quote:
About the same time, I came to the realization that the God that I believed in was threatening me with hell to try to get me to love him. When I realized that the underlying foundation of the relationship was fear, my belief in God melted away. It was truly a release

This is a bit off-topic, but the above reminded me of a hymn line which goes (roughly) thus:

"Oh God, we praise Thee not because
We hope for Heaven thereby"

Which always provoked the thought in me, "Who do you think you're fooling, sunshine?"

------

"If it's anything about a cake, Sir, I don't know anything about it, and besides, it was only a small cake." - Bunter

--------------------
Now the Sirens have a still more fatal weapon than their song, namely their silence ... it is conceivable that someone might possibly have escaped from their singing; but from their silence certainly never.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
About the same time, I came to the realization that the God that I believed in was threatening me with hell to try to get me to love him. When I realized that the underlying foundation of the relationship was fear, my belief in God melted away. It was truly a release

It would truly be a release not to believe in such a God. For some reason (I take no credit) I've never believed in such a God, and it was quite a search to find a church that didn't have such a God (along with other features I won't go into here). Thankfully, I have found one at last.

Reader Alexis
thankful Orthodox guy

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
ekalb
Shipmate
# 2642

- Posted      Profile for ekalb     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
bonzo,

You're right. It is unfortunate that many Christians and churches don't feel comfortable to vocalize the doubts they have about inerrancy. No more unfortunate, though, than it is to see Christians walking into church on sunday morning wearing a fake smile and acting like all is right with the world, even though their life is falling apart. -very sad indeed.

But I hope you are not making the asumption that an 'examined' belief system would result in the nullification of said system.

I, myself, have been honest about the doubts I have regarding the inerrancy of scripture. I have 'examined' my inerrantist position, seen the problems with it, wondered why God didn't make inerrancy 'just obvious' to huamnity, and YET, I am still an inerrantist. Why?
Well, frankly speaking, I don't see that the 'errantist' side has had much better luck in 'proving' errancy. The vast majority of arguments become stalemated in presuppostitons and unanswerable queries.

Like I have said before, I think inerrancy and errancy are both justifiable systems of belief and thinking. Neither can be accused of being epistemologically sloppy.

So bonzo, take a second and think about what you are claiming. If more of Christendom had (in past centuries) critically analyzed their belief in inerrancy, would that have really necessitated the removal of the doctrine itself? -Unlikely.

In my opinion, it is those that live an 'examined' system of belief that usually have the strongest faith (purely my opinon though).

--------------------

Bonzo
Shipmate
# 2481

- Posted      Profile for Bonzo   Email Bonzo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ekalb,

I am claiming that, if the inerrant view was allowed to be openly debated, the view would all but disappear, because as I have said many times in this thread, it is unsupported by logic.

However much you state to the contrary, an errantist view is supported by logic.

We have been through this many times in this thread. I have provided evidence that the Bible is not inerrant which you have been unable to refute. That's all I have to do to show that inerrancy is an unworkable argument.

I may not be able to get you to accept this, but others reading this thread will be able to see it as clear as daylight!

--------------------
Love wastefully

Freehand

The sound of one hand clapping
# 144

- Posted      Profile for Freehand   Email Freehand   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The appropriate starting point would be not to assume anything. Don't assume that it's inerrant or errant.
quote:
Well, frankly speaking, I don't see that the 'errantist' side has had much better luck in 'proving' errancy. The vast majority of arguments become stalemated in presuppostitons and unanswerable queries.

Actually, inerrancy is a much bigger assumption. It is a big assumption to think that a sprawling book written by 40 (or so) people over 100's of years is completely without error. To prove that claim, it is necessary to prove every verse to be correct. The 'errantist' only has to find one error to to pop the claim to 100% inerrancy.

The errors can be harmonized by the inerrentist and we can argue over these points for years. Eventually it gets to the point where the harmonised meaning is IMO so far removed from the original content that the term inerrant is misleading.

Please note: I am not saying that the Bible is all wrong. Perhaps most of it is correct. I'm just saying that it's not 100% perfect.

Freehand

ekalb
Shipmate
# 2642

bonzo,

unfortunately, you missed the piont of what I was saying.

I wasn't saying that 'errancy' is "unsupported" by logic. - I know that it is. Likewise, inerrancy is supported by logic.

As freehand rightly points out, inerrancy probably demands the larger 'leap' in faith to believe, but the point is that it is not "illogical" to believe. I think you have a serious lack of understanding in regards to what is "logical" and what is "provable". I'm not saying inerrancy is provable, I am saying that it is logical.

COntrary to your opinion (for that is what you are promoting), inerrancy is held by many reasonable people who have tested their faith and found it satisfactory for their epistemological worldview.

To make the claim that only an unthinking or illogical person would cling to inerrancy is about the most unsupported and unreasonable claim I have ever heard anybody make.

Inerrancy is NOT like believeing in 'Santa Claus'. The former can be justified on logical grounds, the latter cannot.

I'm not sure why you cannot understand that. I'm not asking you to beleive in inerrancy, but you should acknowledge that it is a justifiable view.

--------------------

Bonzo
Shipmate
# 2481

Inerrancy is just like believing in Santa Claus. It has no basis in logic. There is no rational reason to believe the Bible to be inerrant. It is entirely based on a leap of faith, which is made for no logical reason. It involves the complete and wholesale rejection of scientific understanding of the origins of man. It necessitates belief in a god who deliberately commits barbarous acts. It is wholly inconsistent within it own sphere of argument. In short it is a completely potty thing to believe in. Yet so many people are cowed into acceptance of it by people saying you're not a proper Christian if you question it. It's 100% bollocks! It is not something which is an alternative possibility, it's something which has been disproved 1000 times over.

And any logical person can see that!

--------------------
Love wastefully

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bonzo,

Can I refer you to the Purgatory Guidelines?

quote:
5. Be courteous in your debating style – Apologise when you err; apologies are always well-received here. Take personal offense or disagreements to the Hell board, where they won't bother other posters.

If you want to argue in this sort of tone with ekalb then you need to start a thread in Hell to do so. (ekalb if you're planning to reply in kind - then you should start a thread on the Hell board calling Bonzo to account)

If this sort of tone continues on this thread, then I will move the entire thread to Hell.

Louise

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bonzo
Shipmate
# 2481

ekalb,

I apologise for my tone, the reason I used it was because you consistently accuse me of misunderstanding you or misrepresenting you or missing the point. I understand you perfectly well and I have never knowingly misrepresented you and I have not missed the point - I just think your point is wrong.

I stand by the substance of what I have said. This is not a personal argument between you and me, but it would be wrong of me not to continue to state categorically that inerrancy is an irrational belief.

However Louise is right, I did post angry and exasperated, and a more considered response would have been more appropriate.

--------------------
Love wastefully

ekalb
Shipmate
# 2642

bonzo,
I'm a logical person, and I don't see it that way. Of course, you probably don't consider me logical.

Again, I am utterly amazed at the 'leaps in logic' that you are taking to prove your point. It would appear that you really don't understand the nature between what is 'proovable' and what is 'logical'. Something does NOT have to be provable to be logical.

For instance, you would say that other minds exist, right? Well, the existence of other minds is wholly un-proovable. You cannot empiracly proove that your friend's or parent's minds actually exist. Yet, is completely logical to believe that other minds do exist.

Bonzo, there are many people in the world that claim, "I won't believe it until it can be scientifically established".

The problem with that statement and approach to any truth claim is that it is 'self-referentially-inconsistent'. In other words, science and empiracism has grown out of numerous 'core' beliefs that can not be scientifically verified themselves.

If you think that you can 'prove' something by the scientific method, then it is only fair of you to admit that you are "believing" in some very unprovable truth claims: namely, the existence of order in nature, the reality of truth, the concept that our natural senses actually transmit valid data to our minds, and so forth.

Don't misinterpret me, - I also believe in the value of the scientific method, but I acknowledge that humans are, by nature, 'faith beings'. We are bound to belief. For you to make the assumption that the errantist side of the debate is employing objective verification techniques while the inerrantists are 'just believing' is very unfair of you bonzo.

Both sides have 'belief systems' at their core. It is merely a fact of life.

Please don't send me a post saying that I don't believe in reason or the value of science, -we have been through this before.
I am willing to debate the evidence for both sides of the debate but NOT if you continue to stereotype every inerrantist as an unthinking, illogical fool who clings to inerrancy because they are scared of hellfire. That is simply not true.

--------------------

ekalb
Shipmate
# 2642

bonzo/louise

sorry guys, I just saw the above posts before I posted mine. Sorry if the tone is a bit negative.

I do think that you have, and continually, misrepresent my argument, bonzo. But I hold no personal quarell with you. I am content to continue this debate.

I will try to keep it civil.

--------------------

Bonzo
Shipmate
# 2481

In any system of reason and logic there are various possibilities. It is, of course, possible that Santa Claus really does exist and that or parents fooled us into thinking it was them.

However scientists refer to something being illogical they mean that you start with a theory and try to disprove it. Once disproven it is said to be illogical.

Of course we then have to define proof. If you started with the theory that all coal was white, to disprove it I would simply need to produce a piece of coal that was black. You might argue that it's white and that we couldn't see it properly. But you'd be laughed at by any rational person.

I have shown over the course of this thread that inerrancy is disproven. I have taken one of many examples of a cruel act which is ascribed to God by the OT and compared that to the love of God described by Jesus.

Your response was to say that, because God was doing it, it was not cruel because he created the beings it was done to.

I pointed out that If I made a being and I was cruel to it, you, as my equal, would call me cruel (in fact you referred to it as sadism). You have given no logical response to this. All you have done is restate your original argument that God cannot be cruel because he made us. Your argument therfore stands disproved unless you have an alternative stance to take.

You then admitted that to take your stance required a leap of faith. You carried on to say that both sides of the argument require a leap of faith.

I'll take you back to the coal example. My leap of faith would be to believe my eyes. Your leap of faith would be to believe that everybody, inculding yourself, couldn't see properly.

You might say that believing that all coal is white is logical but I don't.

--------------------
Love wastefully

splodge
Shipmate
# 156

- Posted      Profile for splodge   Email splodge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While I'm not an inerrantist, its not surprising many christians have a problem letting go of the idea of inerrancy. To think that the principle source of our religious ideas is full of errors would suggest we can have no confidence in it at all. To the average lay person christian or non christian no "middle ground" seems to be possible: they say "either we can rely on this religious book or we can't." After all they would have reservations about buying a cookery book, a car engine manual or encyclopaedia that was said to be full of errors.
However if you told them that the purpose of the cookery book was not to give recipes for dinner but to reveal how cookery has evolved from primitive times to today, noting ignorant cooks of the past but seeing their ideas foreshadowed in and progressing later cooking, then they might be interested. Also if the cookery book was to show the providential enlightening of cooks and that the truth about cooking is that its eternal yet multicultural, always challenging & transcends simple catergories of good/bad, right or wrong ...
- then they might, if they wanted a really profound and challenging book on cooking, still like to read old recipies notwithstanding the fact some such recipes if tried today would make one's dinner guests offended or violently ill.

Two propositions -
1. the bible is a book recording people's encounter with God and reflection - oft times crude and limited (we are no better)- of what God is doing in human history. It contains many facts, some more important that others. However it intention is not to give us facts. To argue over factual errors is rather to miss the point.
2. I believe in providence, so I believe whats in the bible, God wants to be there. Even the gory bits where God it thought of as an ogre by the biblical writers.
However the assumption in the errancy v inerrancy debate has been that the bible contains a series of propositions for us to believe which are either right or wrong.
I know that while its nigh well impossible for our culture to think of truth other than as a series of logical-verbal propositions, I suspect the divine truth of the bible is much profounder than that.
(Perhaps its not a book of facts (inc theological facts) but a mirror in which we discover ourselves or designed like a Zen Koan to challenge our presumption and lead us into asking the profoundest questions about life including the nature of religous truth...)

--------------------
Splodge

Posts: 145 | From: Newport | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bonzo:
I have taken one of many examples of a cruel act which is ascribed to God by the OT and compared that to the love of God described by Jesus.

This seems to be the major sticking point here.

It looks to me as though the "inerrancy" argument isn't going to go anywhere because of this.

I was hoping that the Bible could still be "inerrant" without having God commanding the killing of babies, and by overlooking the minor contradictions and discrepancies in, for example, the gospel stories.

I now give up on that, and am content to simply say that I accept the Bible's claim to divine authorship.

For what it is worth, let me say a word about why Joshua might legitimately and logically be seen as having a divine origin, despite all the baby killing that goes on.

It is only because the fundamental message is that if you obey and trust in God, He will be on your side, protect you, and give you success against your enemies. This is the message repeated in virtually every chapter from Genesis to Zechariah - and especially in Joshua.

The message becomes markedly more sophisticated as you proceed through the Old Testament, and becomes increasingly focused on morality, humility, kindness, and mercy.

In Joshua, however, the message is pure and simple. God will destroy your enemies big or small, man or woman, adult or child. It is manifestly barbaric. But that is not the way it seems when you feel desperately threatened by your enemies. Then you think that the only good Philistine is a dead Philistine.

This is not to justify the literal actions of Joshua and the Israelites of that period. It is, however, to justify the logic of the message as an important step in the development of faith in God. The most general ideas come first. The finer points are acquired in time.

So without literally having God Himself order the destruction of Canaanite women and children, I can believe in the divine authorship of the book of Joshua. God allowed Himself to be understood and presented in that way - a way that makes pure sense to children and unsophisticated people.

I believe that every word of Scripture is from God - allowing, of course, for a certain percentage of errors in transmission over the years. In that sense it is inerrant, because it is divine. But I don't think that it is literally without factual error, or that it does not incorporate the points of view and prejudices of the many people who actually penned it.

But if "inerrancy" means that God is a baby-killer, this argument won't go anywhere. In my opinion.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Originally posted by splodge:
2. I believe in providence, so I believe whats in the bible, God wants to be there. Even the gory bits where God is thought of as an ogre by the biblical writers.

That's it. That's what I meant to say. Thanks Splodge.

--------------------

Bonzo
Shipmate
# 2481

Both Splodge's and Freddy's stance are, IMO, reasonable positions to take. I would argue that such positions actually serve to strengthen the credibility of Christianity especially in today's questioning western culture.

I'm closest to Splodges cookery manual except that I believe the cookery has evolved still further since the manual was completed, and is still evolving.

--------------------
Love wastefully

ekalb
Shipmate
# 2642

bonzo,

ok,I'm gonna make this quick.

You're coal example is far too black and white (no pun intended) to rightly compare it with inerrancy/errancy.

You're right though, if you could show but one single error in scripture then that one error would 'logically' infer that inerrancy cannot be.

You've brought up some good objections to innerrancy, but none that I have not heard in the past. You say that I have not answered you're 'response' about you creating a hamster/whatever and then killing it and how I, as an equal, would call you cruel.

Well, I did answer that. About 2 pages back I posted you saying that the hamster analogy is ridiculous. Why? First, because it's apples and oranges. You're trying to hypothesize a 'theoretical' universe wherin killing (sadistically) you're hamster-creations is the normative action for you, their god. Further, it is a universe that apparantly is polytheistic. You say that I would be your equal and call you cruel. This also implies a universe with a transcedatory moral law above even its gods.

I'm not splitting hairs here. Bonzo, the analogy is so far removed from the universe that we do know that it cannot be successfully applied.

--------------------

Gauk
Shipmate
# 1125

- Posted      Profile for Gauk     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure that I'm following how inerrancy is supported by logic. Unless by a system that can be summarised approximately as: "It is logical that God that would want to convey His message accurately to mankind, therefore He did." One can make all sorts of logical deductions about this, that and the other, but unless the premises are correct, the logicality goes for naught.

--------------------
Now the Sirens have a still more fatal weapon than their song, namely their silence ... it is conceivable that someone might possibly have escaped from their singing; but from their silence certainly never.

Bonzo
Shipmate
# 2481

quote:
Well, I did answer that. About 2 pages back I posted you saying that the hamster analogy is ridiculous. Why? First, because it's apples and oranges. You're trying to hypothesize a 'theoretical' universe wherin killing (sadistically) you're hamster-creations is the normative action for you, their god. Further, it is a universe that apparantly is polytheistic. You say that I would be your equal and call you cruel. This also implies a universe with a transcedatory moral law above even its gods.

In hypothesising this theoretical universe I'm showing that it can be considered cruel to cause unnecessary suffering to something you have created. It doesn't have to be polytheistic I would know that chopping the feet of my hamster is cruel without you coming along! I only put you there to help you to realise it!

Let's approach it a different way. How can we say that God is a loving God without judging God?

When you say that genocide is not cruel because a creator did it, and to call the creator cruel is judging God. Then by the same token it must be judging God to say that He is loving.

In fact by the same token we can say nothing whatsoever about the nature of God because that would be judging God.

One thing we certainly could not say about God is that he wishes to communicate with men through the Bible, that would be judging God (by your argument).

Man has the knowledge of good and evil (in your inerrant book he got it when he ate the fruit from the tree). He is able to see a cruel act and understand it to be cruel. When any suffering is inflicted unecessarily on any creature capable of feelings it is cruelty. To argue otherwise is meaningless.

The coal analogy is a pretty good comparison!

--------------------
Love wastefully

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Originally posted by Gauk:
I'm not sure that I'm following how inerrancy is supported by logic.

How about the logic that without religious knowledge that is believed to be accurate there can be no belief, and therefore no religion.

Believing it doesn't make it accurate, of course, and there is a certain amount of uncertainty in everything about religion. But no one has faith in things that they know or suspect to be untrue.

So if you are going to believe something, it is unlikely that the basis of belief will be simply random. If a person believes in Jesus because of the testimony of the Bible, they must have some confidence in the truth, on some level, of this testimony.

I understand that this confidence can range from "there is some core of truth" to "every word is true." But the "every word is true" approach has been the traditional Christian viewpoint for 2000 years. It is logical within its own framework, even if it is illogical that God would command the killing of babies, or that every detail could be literally true, such as Cain finding a wife even though there were no other humans yet.

--------------------

andras
Shipmate
# 2065

- Posted      Profile for andras   Email andras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But the "every word is true" approach has been the traditional Christian viewpoint for 2000 years.

It may have been commonly held among uneducated people, but the notion that every word is literally true would have moved educated people like Alcuin to tears of laughter - or possibly frustration. 'Genesis tells the story of the making of the world after the manner of a poem' was his comment on it.

John

--------------------
God's on holiday.
(Why borrow a cat?)
Adrian Plass

Posts: 544 | From: Tregaron | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

Very true, John. Another way to put it is that this has been the public and official teaching of the church. But it is hard to believe that the majority of Christian scholars over the ages have privately, or even not so privately, thought this way.

Of course it is one thing to consider the creation story to be an allegory, and another to deny the truth of such things as the resurrection of Christ.

--------------------

ekalb
Shipmate
# 2642

[sigh]

bonzo, please don't get angry, but it is very frustrating to debate something I have never argued. I know you're frustrated because I have accussed you of using 'straw men' arguments against me. - I intended nothing else than to point out the facts.

Here is what I am talking about:

by bonzo:

quote:
When you say that genocide is not cruel because a creator did it, and to call the creator cruel is judging God. Then by the same token it must be judging God to say that He is loving.

In fact by the same token we can say nothing whatsoever about the nature of God because that would be judging God.

One thing we certainly could not say about God is that he wishes to communicate with men through the Bible, that would be judging God (by your argument).

You are arguing against something I have never said.
I 'have' said that it would be wrong to assume that we can superimpose the moral and perogative dynamics of humanity onto deity, but I am not saying that we can't 'say things about God'.

Further, I haven't tried to argue that inerrancy is obvious or even necessary for faith. I hope you realize that my purpose, in this discussion, is to show that anyone who holds to inerrancy is 'justified' to do so. 'Justified' doesn't mean we have all the answers. It doesn't even mean that 'errancy' has weak objections to inerrancy; rather, justified means that a Christian can believe the Bible to be inerrant without violating reason and logic.

It seems that both of us are unwilling to progress this debate any further and for that I apologize (I haven't always been fair in this debate), but if you want to continue I am willing. I ask only that you 'thoroughly' read my posts before responding. I will try to do the same.

--------------------

Bonzo
Shipmate
# 2481

ekalb

My apologies if I have misunderstood, but when you said:

quote:

Your "views" fail to accept the fact that they are judging God in light of their own standards

What exactly did you mean?

If in your opinion we can say things about God then it follows that we can say that committing genocide is not in his nature.

Since the Bible says that God did do this then it's obvious, by logic, that the Bible is wrong on this point.

There is someone who is not prepared to debate. All you do is keep insisting that an argument which is so obviously flawed is logical.

You may feel that your stance is justified. That you have proved that to believe in Biblical inerrancy is a rational, logical thing to do. But you have only convinced one person ... yourself ekalb.

--------------------
Love wastefully

andras
Shipmate
# 2065

- Posted      Profile for andras   Email andras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Of course it is one thing to consider the creation story to be an allegory, and another to deny the truth of such things as the resurrection of Christ.

Indeed so - though the church has certainly had clergy who have taken the position that the resurrection stories are only true in some non-literal sense for at least a couple of hundred years. I wonder who was the first to come clean in public on this position - didn't one of the mediaeval popes talk of having been served well by this myth of a resurrected Christ?

John

--------------------
God's on holiday.
(Why borrow a cat?)
Adrian Plass

Posts: 544 | From: Tregaron | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

Yes. It was Pope Leo X. He supposedly said, "What profit has not that fable of Christ brought us!"

Of course if he had gone public with this declaration he would not have been pope. And if the church itself had announced this, it would no longer be a church.

So despite the skepticism of many of the individuals involved, church organizations perpetuate certain ideas as the basis for their existence.

--------------------

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Against my will I get drawn back to this thread. I fight against its sinister attraction for days, and then succumb and take a look. All I find are the same old arguments going round and round - no progress is ever made because (IMHO) one side is not prepared to listen to the other.

Hosts of Purgatory
Now hear my plea!
Send this to Dead Horses
And save our sanity!

(Almost as good as the spells the Charmed ones use, I think.)

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ekalb
Shipmate
# 2642

bonzo,

That quote is merely saying that we can't judge God in the same way we judge oneself or another human. It is exactly what I said in my last post. It is wrong to think that God and humanity can be 'talked about' on the same level. Clearly there are diferences. God has some very unique abilities and perogatives that humanity does not. Further, humanity can sin and be evil where as God is perfect.
So, what I am saying is that we should be 'careful' when saying things about God and His nature because He is unique.

That said, I agree with you that we can say positive statements about God's nature. Some folk only think we can affirm what God is not, but I do think that we can affirm what GOd is.

bonzo, the real issue in the particular debate that we are sharing is 'what is the correct interpretation of the Joshua genocide?'. You interpret it to be a cruel act, unbecoming of God and therefore see it as an error within the bible. I interpret it as an act of divine punishment, wholly justifiable within the parameters of divine perogatives and therefore view the scriptures as inerrant.

You must recognize that both views are acceptable on rational grounds. However, both are un-provable. You cannot guarantee that my interpretation of divine punishment is wrong and I cannot absolutely say that your errancy view is wrong either.

Maybe I am the only one that I have convinced of inerrancy If so, that does not mean that my arguments are flawed.

Before I go, I would like to know, bonzo, whether you are a 'logical positivist'. From your arguments and appeals I would guess you are, but I might be wrong.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm coming to the conclusion that the Bible is actually to complex to describe as either inerrant or not-inerrant (I'm not sure that's the same as errant).

I've said before (I can't recall if it was on this or another thread) that I'm intrigued by the use of the phrase "Word of God" to describe both the Bible and Christ. The Bible, like Christ, is both human and divine.
The words of Scripture are fully the work of fallible human authors (and later editors and compilers) and subject to all their weaknesses, prejudice and failings. As such it cannot possibly be inerrant.

They are also fully the word of God who is perfect and faithful. As such it cannot possibly be anything but inerrant.

So, just as we follow a Christ who is simultaneously and inseperably fully human and fully divine we also have Scriptures which are simultaneously and inseperably fully of human and divine origin.

Just a few thoughts to digest,

Alan

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Originally posted by ekalb:
the real issue in the particular debate that we are sharing is 'what is the correct interpretation of the Joshua genocide?'.

Several of us have offered positions on this Joshua issue other than Bonzo's. My heart is with you, kalb, but I don't think that you need to interpret the Joshua genocide as directly commanded by God in order to believe that God is the author of Scripture.

Do you see no other alternative? You have only responded to Bonzo's hard line on this.

--------------------

Bonzo
Shipmate
# 2481

ekalb

Then I did not misunderstand you.

Though we can't say that for God to act in a certain way judging Him by human standards, you seem to be saying that you can say that for God to behave in a particular way would be against His own standards.

We must be able to do this or we would not be able to say that He is loving or just.

So by that token it is obvious that if we God were to act in the genocidal way described in Joshua, by his own standards of love and justice he would have been wrong to act in that way. Since he is true to his own standards then it follows that God did not commit genocide.

Alan,

quote:

I've said before (I can't recall if it was on this or another thread) that I'm intrigued by the use of the phrase "Word of God" to describe both the Bible and Christ. The Bible, like Christ, is both human and divine.
The words of Scripture are fully the work of fallible human authors (and later editors and compilers) and subject to all their weaknesses, prejudice and failings. As such it cannot possibly be inerrant.

They are also fully the word of God who is perfect and faithful. As such it cannot possibly be anything but inerrant.

But the whole world is God's creation and by the same argument cannot be inerrant since it must be exactly the way God wanted it?

Is that what you're saying? There are no errant people in this world?

--------------------
Love wastefully

Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

- Posted      Profile for Ham'n'Eggs   Email Ham'n'Eggs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm inclined to agree with Alan.

I'm rather coming to the conclusion that the whole inerrant/non-inerrant black/white thang is very much a product of the modernist perspective employed by both the evangelical and liberal traditions.

--------------------
"...the heresies that men do leave / Are hated most of those they did deceive" - Will S

Posts: 3103 | From: Genghis Khan's sleep depot | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bonzo:
Is that what you're saying? There are no errant people in this world?

No, I'm saying that there are, and never have been, any perfect people in the world (with one exception, but he didn't write any of the Bible). Therefore the Bible, being the work of imperfect people and the perfect God both cannot be inerrant and must be inerrant.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bonzo
Shipmate
# 2481

Alan,

I think I accept the following as a rational view, If this is what you're saying then I think it's worth looking at:-

That the Bible is inerrant in the sense that God is perfect and faithful and so the Bible is the way it is because that's the way God has designed the world.

Consider this :

The existence of Hitler, the way he was, his hatred of the Jews are all part of God's plan for the world. Hitler happened in a world for which God has a plan and a purpose.

Of course that doesn't mean that Hitler was not wrong in what he did, It just means that his wrongdoing is in some way it is part of the plan.

In the same way the genocide committed by Joshua is wrong and the Bible is incorrect to say that God sanctioned it, but the Bible is that way becasue it is part of God's plan.

If we accept this point of view we must treat the Bible as a book containing human errors. But we would be right in asking what God's purpose is in allowing the human errors to be there as they may be important in understanding the wider, inerrant, plan.

This IMO is a reasonable line of argument. I'm not sure if I agree with it or not, but if it's in any way what you're driving at then I would like to see where it goes.

--------------------
Love wastefully

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

No, I suppose where I'm coming to is the conclusion that the Bible is a paradox. The Bible is of fully (fallible) human origin and it is of fully (infallible) divine origin. To try to say of one part "this is inspired truth" and of another "this is fallibly human" is similar to saying of Christ "here he acts as God" and "there he's a man" (which is some heresy or another - if FrG is reading this I'm sure he can tell us which heresy). The Church spent centuries and however many councils to define precisely the indivisible human and divine nature of Christ, right now I wish that a similar amount of effort had gone into defining something similar in describing the Bible.

So, just to make sure there is no more life in the Joshua genocide dead horse. The Bible says that God ordered the slaughter of the Caananites; in saying this it is simultaneously entirely accurate and entirely wrong.

If that's not clear it's probably a combination of me getting myself confused and needing a bit of sleep

Alan

--------------------

splodge
Shipmate
# 156

- Posted      Profile for splodge   Email splodge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the genocide issue - I believe Joshua (or the writer of the book of Joshua) believed that God had commanded killing of the cannanites - but I don't think Joshua was right so what do I "get" from this story?. Actually rather than this being a case of genocide as such the policy of Joshua's brand of bronze age nomads was ethnic cleansing in that it seems that by having a some high profile masacres these were aimed at scaring the rest of the cannanites to leave: more Bosnia than Auswitz.
However, it does seem impossible to square a God who loves with a God who wants ethnic cleansing. I don't believe that this is the lesson that should be drawn however. But, one theme that the stories seem to seek to reinforce is the idea of divine judgement. The idea of divine judgement comes not from revelation but from man's experience of nature and the attempt to square the belief that God is utterly in control with the reality of evil.

There is a stream of thought in the bible that considers, in the final analysis, all destruction and death itself as divine judgement upon sin and we know that death is no respecter of persons or ages.
A very high monotheism makes God ultimately responsible for all events including the demise of the innocent as well as the grossly sinful; it is said that everyone is destroyed because all are interconnected, equally contaminated by original sin etc.

What happened to the canaanites is, in this contaxt, simply an accelerated judgement that happens to us all. We may feel repugnance at what happened to the canaanites because we believe God is love. However this is not simply a biblical problem, it is greatest theological problem: called the "Problem of Evil". Indeed, you, me and everyone are destined to die as well as the poor old cannanites. Well poor us too.
The Joshua story only throws the problem of evil into sharp relief, but it won't go away whether the Joshua story is history or fiction. Indeed the theme of divine judgement is as all pervasive in scripture as the theme of love and mercy.

No, and I don't like the idea of divine judgement either.

--------------------
Splodge

Posts: 145 | From: Newport | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bonzo
Shipmate
# 2481

Splodge

That's interesting, It doesn't get round the problem of Joshua and the canaanites in the sense that we cannot justify genocide (Cannan Bosnia or Auswitz) or attribute it to God. But it does move the argument on to the big question of why is dying (and life sometimes) such a bag of shit.

When something bad happens to us, I don't think we are being punished for our wrong (disabled people are no more sinful than the rest of us). Nor do I think that death is necessarily a punishment (though it's a bugger I'll admit!).

I agree that the Bible does seem to point to divine judgement in a threatening tone and this is present in both the OT and NT.

I might be wrong but I don't see any mention of sons being killed for the sins of their fathers in the NT. Are there any examples of instances where God uses men to exact punishment on other men in the NT? If there are they are certainly not the main thrust of the NT.

The concept of judgement certainly pervades the whole Bible, but in the NT I think it centres upon judgement of your own wrongdoing, not judgement of a nation for the wrongdoing of some people within that nation.

It brings me closer to the picture of a developing theology. It makes me even more convinced that the Bible is not a conclusion but a documented starting point from which mankind has developed ideas and morality which have superceded some of the ideas of the Bible just as the NT seems to supercede some of the commonly held values of the OT.

I'm not saying, just because we have problems with the concept of divine judgement, we should start to say that the Bible is obviously wrong on this subject (though it's possible). Rather we should never be too hard line in our viewpoint, just because the Bible says something. We have to consider it and weigh the odds, and even then we might be none the wiser.

From looking at your earlier posts I don't think we're very far apart. Are we?

--------------------
Love wastefully

Bonzo
Shipmate
# 2481

Alan,

I've thought hard about your paradox idea, I don't think I can agree for the following reason.

People hold to a paradox of Jesus being fully man and fully God because the Bible doesn't hold evidence to suggest that Jesus was sinful (he was inerrant).

Suppose for example the gospels had contained a story about Jesus, at the age of 17, two timing his girfriends. It would then be impossible for the unblemished lamb idea to be understood. After reading the things he later did, people might say that he was a man inspired by God, but I don't think they would have said he was God.

The Bible, as you have said, does contain errors, so it's fine to say it's inspired by God but not fine to say it's inerrant (equating it with God).

Does that make sense?

--------------------
Love wastefully

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If the bible is errant, then that is because all language, all communication itself is errant.

Otherwise it is inerrant.

When God said to Moses to leave Him alone while he annihilated Israel, He meant it.

The fact that He didn't reveals far more to me about God, who negotiated with Abraham for the annihilation of the cities of the plain too, than a God who really didn't, really couldn't say that and that the Bible is therefore errant because our liberal induction isn't - which reveals a lot about our limitations for accepting God at His word.

The hard, old school, bronze-age, lethal God who revealed Himself in Christ as more gracious than we can possibly imagine.

So apart from the Bible being wrong when it doesn't suit our liberalism, where else is it wrong?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
blackbird
Shipmate
# 1387

- Posted      Profile for blackbird     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
maybe when it's used in a spirit of exclusivity, hatred, domination, humiliation, superiority or plain self-righteousness that at base level equals the opposite of compassion and love to another human being which is what i think Jesus came to teach us about.

imagine if you will, every bible and written word relating to it in the world disappears one night and we are left to cope in this world based on the spirit of Jesus's message. if we were able to do that, we might be okay. now imagine everyone has a bible but no spirit of compassion. sound scarily familiar?

i can accept that God is The Word and is inerrant, but not that the bible is The Word...too much like saying the collar is the dog.

(glad you're not mad on cold north wind, m.
)

Posts: 1236 | From: usa | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Bonzo, just to make it clear I am not equating the Bible with God. I am drawing an analogy from the paradox of the human and divine nature of Christ to the human and divine origin of the Bible. Like all analogies it is not perfect, but seems an interesting place to start a change in direction on this thread.

(as an aside, since this thread isn't about the nature of Christ as such, there is a difference between Christ being human and being a sinner)

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nicely put BB, nicely put.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bonzo
Shipmate
# 2481

Alan,

Your argument is interesting. I would like it to work. It would be a very good way to say that everbody's right on this thread! Then we'd all be happy.

But, for me, it can't work. I'm not saying that the Bible has errors just because it was written by men who are fallible. I'm saying that it has errors because those errors are self evident.

In the paradox of Jesus (fully God and fully man). The paradox only works where errors in Jesus' character are not self evident. If he had self evident errors then he would be just a good man, not both God and man.

You couldn't say that Jesus was fully God and also fully man, if Jesus could be shown to be a sinner (As it is, He isn't, so perhaps you can say it).

You couldn't say that the Bible has errors (because it was written by man) and does not have errors (because the Bible was written by God), if the Bible can be shown to have errors (which is the case).

I'm not disputing that there is a difference between Christ being human and being a sinner.

I realise that you are not equating the Bible with God but I'm pointing out that when your analogy is applied to the Bible that an inerrant Bible is like an inerrant Jesus. In the Bible's case it has demonstrable errors, in Jesus' case He hasn't.

As you say analogies are not perfect but I can't see how this analogy helps us unless we can make these comparisons.

--------------------
Love wastefully

ekalb
Shipmate
# 2642

bonzo,

Those "errors" in the bible aren't exactly "evident" to me and whole lot of other, rational, Christians.

Whether you think that the alternative answers are bunk or not, the fact is that there are logically-consistent answers to the so-called errors that do enable a Christian to keep inerrancy intact.

--------------------

Bonzo
Shipmate
# 2481

ekalb,

We've been through this. I'm not going to argue with you on the subject anymore because you are not going to change your point of view no matter what I say.

IMO you have to abandon reason to believe the bible to be inerrant.

--------------------
Love wastefully

shoewoman
Shipmate
# 1618

- Posted      Profile for shoewoman   Email shoewoman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm.... four things come to my mind when I read this.
Firstly, what strikes me is that the Bible is not mentioned in the Creed. I never have to say "I believe in the Bible", and I'm certainly glad of that.
Secondly, I find it fairly difficult to claim inerrancy, because there is nothing like a true first edition. Our present Bibles are a conglomerate of several thousand manuscripts from more than a thousand years, with significant differencies between them.
Thirdly, the Gospel of John starts with the statement that Christ is the personified Word of God, therefore the Bible can be nothing more (nor less) than a faithful report on this.
Fourth, if God humbled himself to become a man with all the limitations of humanity, including the danger to be mistaken for a mere man, why shouldn't he humble himself accordingly in a book, even including the danger of literary weaknesses or maybe errors? Is there anything wrong with a God who does this? That sounds to me like one of the Pharisees claiming that God could never become the kind of man to lose a trial and end up at a cross.

--------------------
Maybe I should get an avatar.... or maybe not....

Posts: 652 | From: Germany | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  42  43  44 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016