homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Dead Horses   » Cleft lip and palate a good reason? (Abortion) (Page 10)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  18  19  20 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Cleft lip and palate a good reason? (Abortion)
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1) in my view, there are no borderline cases at all.
2) to call any of the hypostaseis a person it problematic. Augustine said he only used the word person because he couldn't think of a better word apart from "it" or "them".

(mispelt because)

[ 17. December 2003, 14:05: Message edited by: Papio ]

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Posts: 12176 | From: a zoo in England. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
thursday+
Shipmate
# 5264

- Posted      Profile for thursday+   Email thursday+   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You say there are no borderline cases, so either there is no line (everything's a person) or you have a clear person/non-person divide. I assume it's the latter, I just don't know where the divide is or how you're drawing it.
Would you regard a computer that could pass the Turing test as a 'person'? How about an animal (an alien, or a terrestrial creature, as you prefer) which could do the same?
I don't see why you regard a foetus as a person. It doesn't do anything 'persony'.

--------------------
Jesus did not rise from the dead and announce, "A Blessed Easter! I'm the Second Person of the Trinity!," then spend the remaining days until his Ascension instructing the apostles in rubrics.
Newman's Own.

Posts: 392 | From: home is in your head | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

- Posted      Profile for alienfromzog   Email alienfromzog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a strange and complicated case. Speaking as a medical student and therefore a future doctor I have many concerns over the issue of abortion and find myself in a minority by being against abortion in almost all situations.

While the law stipulates certain requirements, in practice we have abortion-on-demand upto 24 weeks and beyond that for 'severe disability.' As a technical matter, I think it inconceivable that a cosmetic and easily correctable abnormality could be considered a severe disability. As a practical matter, I'm not sure what this case can achieve, though I am watching with much interest.

I think it is clearly morally wrong to end a life for this reason; this is clearly a eugenic practice. Similarly we are regularly revisiting the issue of doctor-assisted suicide. Within medicine in the UK at the moment there are many ethical battles being fought.

This may be an old issue but it is one not resolved and thus it will be revisted again and again. Either all life is valuable (as every individual is created in the image of God) or not. And if not, thus some individuals are expendable... for severe disabilty or even cosmetic reasons? I find that very scarey indeed.

One final thought; no-one talks about what late-term abortions involve. The kindest technique involves foeticide and inducement, so the baby is still-born. It is very traumatic for all involved.

[ 17. December 2003, 14:24: Message edited by: alienfromzog ]

--------------------
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

An Alien's View of Earth - my blog (or vanity exercise...)

Posts: 2150 | From: Zog, obviously! Straight past Alpha Centauri, 2nd planet on the left... | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This just in ... soon it will be even easier.

alienfromzog said in relation to late-term abortions:

quote:
The kindest technique
Please, let's not go there.

ken said, quite eloquently, in my opinion:
quote:
To kill something that you aren't sure is human or not seems to be a morally risky act.

It's up to those who want to propose the easy availibilty of abortion to demonstrate that a foetus is not human, not the other way round. Doubt on the matter is enough to make it morally safer not to use abortion.

I think this is good advice. There certainly is doubt.

Laura, thank you for answering my question, even though I didn't have the courage to venture back into this thread at the time to ask it. Also, the links you posted on page 9 were very informative.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alienfromzog - may I extend the customary hostly welcome to our Ship.

I'm sure you will have read the Ship's 10 Commandments (link on the left) and will have noticed and read the guidelines to each individual Board.

Check out the other Boards and have fun!

Yours aye ... Tony K (D H Host)

P.S. - did Queen Vic. really say that?

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

- Posted      Profile for alienfromzog   Email alienfromzog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry about the phrasing. Late term abortions are awful. I just described the least worst option.

I hope I don't offend anyone this is a senstive issue, but also a vital one and we have to be honest about what's involved.

[ 17. December 2003, 15:07: Message edited by: alienfromzog ]

--------------------
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

Posts: 2150 | From: Zog, obviously! Straight past Alpha Centauri, 2nd planet on the left... | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sharkshooter,

What you posted made me think the CNN link was going to be about abortion. It's only about the availability over the counter (rather than by prescription) of the combination pack of four birth control pills that have been used as "morning after birth control" for at least the last twenty years. So it's hardly new. And it isn't RU-486.

The so-called morning after pills are taken, usually two immediately, then two twelve hours later, starting dose within 72 hours of unprotected sex, and act (in the same way regular birth control pills can) to prevent implantation should conception have occurred. The chances of conception from one act of unprotected intercourse are low, and so as a practical matter, it provides peace of mind after the condom blows; it has for years been given after a rape as part of the standard hospital follow-up. It ought not be any more or less controversial than other oral contraceptives, in my view.

[ 17. December 2003, 15:11: Message edited by: Laura ]

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
Sharkshooter,

What you posted made me think the CNN link was going to be about abortion. It's only about the availability over the counter (rather than by prescription) of the combination pack of four birth control pills that have been used as "morning after birth control" for at least the last twenty years. So it's hardly new. And it isn't RU-486.

Sorry. I should have been more clear.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
thursday+
Shipmate
# 5264

- Posted      Profile for thursday+   Email thursday+   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Although it is 'terminating' (or whatever you want to call it) a fertilised egg, isn't it? I suppose if you were going with the 'a person is anything biologically human' argument, that would be as bad as abortion at any given point. Which is why I think we need to define 'person' more sensibly.

[sorry, spelling]

[ 17. December 2003, 15:15: Message edited by: chestertonian ]

--------------------
Jesus did not rise from the dead and announce, "A Blessed Easter! I'm the Second Person of the Trinity!," then spend the remaining days until his Ascension instructing the apostles in rubrics.
Newman's Own.

Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chestertonian:
You say there are no borderline cases, so either there is no line (everything's a person) or you have a clear person/non-person divide. I assume it's the latter, I just don't know where the divide is or how you're drawing it.
Would you regard a computer that could pass the Turing test as a 'person'? How about an animal (an alien, or a terrestrial creature, as you prefer) which could do the same?
I don't see why you regard a foetus as a person. It doesn't do anything 'persony'.

In which case a person is a human being with brain activity.
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

and please elucidate a case where someone is "borderline" between a person and an object. I can't think of one.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, the morning after combination of pills acts to delay ovulation (thereby preventing fertilization) and to prevent implantation. So it is very like the ordinary action of birth control pills. And if preventing implantation is abortion, then OCs are definitely abortifacients although this is not their primary mode of intended action.

I'm sorry, I just think this is absurd. We've actually got people here arguing about whether preventing implantation of a fertilized ovum is abortion. It makes my head want to explode. This would mean that the surgery to remove an ectopic pregnancy is an abortion. I can only hope that some of the doctrinaire anti-abortion folks here would at least support that. To pretend that there isn't a difference between killing a newborn and killing a two week along undifferentiated proto-human or even between either of these and the just-pre-viability fetus(even if those lineds are hard to draw) is to oversimplify the status of the developing fetus in an extreme way that is as far as I can see unjustified by convinving theology or ethics.

I can't take this any more.

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

thursday+
Shipmate
# 5264

When I said,
quote:

that's what I was doing. Leaving aside the obvious point that the personhood of a foetus is questionable, hence this whole discussion.

--------------------
Newman's Own.

Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

quote:
Originally posted by chestertonian:
When I said,
quote:

that's what I was doing. Leaving aside the obvious point that the personhood of a foetus is questionable, hence this whole discussion.
This still assumes that rationality/intelligence is a crucial tool for deciding on personhood. I don't accept that assumption.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

Actually, I would have thought it more problematic for your position than for mine but there we go.

If I am asked to name a difference between a late abortion, where the feutus has brain activity, no serious deformity, the mother wasn't raped, and it doesn't threaten the life of the mother and the practice of infanticide then I must say that I struggle to do so.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

thursday+
Shipmate
# 5264

But you are saying that genes are a valid dividing line, which I don't accept, since 'person' is a moral/psychological term, not a biological one.

--------------------
Newman's Own.

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If someone you loved became unable, for whatever reason, to think rationally then you would be perfectly happy to say that your brother/mother/friend/lover/neighbour/co-worker etc was no longer a person?

pappio, my father died,or, rather, his body finally gave out, last year after quite a long time of being essentially mindless due to alrzheiners disease. and i assure you, there is no doubt in my mind that the person that was my father died long before the rotting hulk that once held him stopped breathing.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

Nicolemrw - I am truly sorry about your loss and I have no reason to doubt what you say about your father. I remember your original post and I was genuinely moved that by that whole thread.

On Christmas day last year my grandmother died after a similar process of mental degeneration (she always was an awkward bugger as she admitted herself [Tear] ) . If I am honest, I had mixed feelings about it. The fact that she was no longer around versus the fact that she was no longer suffering.

I have no doubt that the energy, personality traits and other things that you loved most about your dad were no longer in evidence by the time that he died. I have seen it happen to my gran and to others (I once had a summer job in a nursing home although I know that that is nothing like the same).

Your post is one of a handful on this thread that stand a chance of changing my views on this subject. So I can say that my gran was less than the person I remember from childhood but I cannot, personally, bring myself to say that she was not a person. not yet anway.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Kyralessa
Shipmate
# 4568

- Posted      Profile for Kyralessa   Email Kyralessa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
I'm sorry, I just think this is absurd. We've actually got people here arguing about whether preventing implantation of a fertilized ovum is abortion. It makes my head want to explode. This would mean that the surgery to remove an ectopic pregnancy is an abortion. I can only hope that some of the doctrinaire anti-abortion folks here would at least support that. To pretend that there isn't a difference between killing a newborn and killing a two week along undifferentiated proto-human or even between either of these and the just-pre-viability fetus(even if those lineds are hard to draw) is to oversimplify the status of the developing fetus in an extreme way that is as far as I can see unjustified by convinving theology or ethics.

I can't take this any more.

Sorry about what this is doing to your head, Laura, but yes, I for one do think that ending an ectopic pregnancy is abortion; it ends a pregnancy, and abortion is what we call that. In fact, even miscarriages are called, medically speaking, "spontaneous abortions" (though obviously we don't judge miscarriages on a moral scale).

However an ectopic pregnancy is obviously a form of "pregnancy" that, if allowed to proceed, would kill both mother and fetus. The fetus would die anyway, so the abortion is necessary to save the mother's life.

For someone to suggest, Laura, that any abortion opponent would be against this procedure is a caricature on par with the "clump of cells" one you railed against. But you weren't suggesting that, right? [Biased]

Posts: 1597 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paddy Leahy
Apprentice
# 3888

- Posted      Profile for Paddy Leahy   Author's homepage   Email Paddy Leahy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What you posted made me think the CNN link was going to be about abortion. It's only about the availability over the counter (rather than by prescription) of the combination pack of four birth control pills that have been used as "morning after birth control" for at least the last twenty years.

The so-called morning after pills are taken, usually two immediately, then two twelve hours later, starting dose within 72 hours of unprotected sex, and act (in the same way regular birth control pills can) to prevent implantation should conception have occurred. The chances of conception from one act of unprotected intercourse are low, and so as a practical matter, it provides peace of mind after the condom blows; it has for years been given after a rape as part of the standard hospital follow-up. It ought not be any more or less controversial than other oral contraceptives, in my view. [/QB]

It is a form of abortion because as you point out it prevents implantation. Governments try to alledge it is contraception by altering the definition of pregnancy. But regardless of that debate it still destroys the embryo and is therefore a form of abortion. Pro-lifers aren't against ending pregnancies - just ending lives.

Also it hasn't been around for the last 20 years. Furthermore it's only been regularly used in recent years with the development of, what in the UK is known as, levonelle-2. The previous form was fairly lethal so it wasn't really recommended.

quote:
And if preventing implantation is abortion, then OCs are definitely abortifacients although this is not their primary mode of intended action.
Some are, some aren't. 3rd generation pill can act, under some circumstances, as a form of abortion. Previous forms couldn't.

quote:
I'm sorry, I just think this is absurd. We've actually got people here arguing about whether preventing implantation of a fertilized ovum is abortion. It makes my head want to explode. This would mean that the surgery to remove an ectopic pregnancy is an abortion
It's logical isn't it? Life blatantly starts at conception and its illogical for someone pro-life to randomnly choose any other point.

Removing an ectopic pregnancy is an abortion but we obviously don't oppose it since it can result in death for the mother.

I'd like to see how it's logical to oppose abortion in other circumstances where the opposer doesn't think life begins at conception.

Paddy

Posts: 43 | From: Kent, England | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
lapsed heathen

Hurler on the ditch
# 4403

- Posted      Profile for lapsed heathen   Email lapsed heathen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Paddy Leahy;

quote:
It's logical isn't it? Life blatantly starts at conception and its illogical for someone pro-life to randomnly choose any other point.
Start's or, becomes a posibility? Defining life as starting at any particular point in time is tricky, what would be your criterion for defining life? How would you then define death?.
This is important as we might agree that you can't kill what is not alive. Or we might not, [Confused]

--------------------
"We are the Easter people and our song is Alleluia"

Posts: 1361 | From: Marble county | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Paddy Leahy:

Also it hasn't been around for the last 20 years. Furthermore it's only been regularly used in recent years with the development of, what in the UK is known as, levonelle-2. The previous form was fairly lethal so it wasn't really recommended.

Paddy

Paddy,
This is way off-beam. The previous version of the 'morning-after pill' was the Schering PC4 which was licensed in the UK in 1984. It was superceded by Levonelle 2 a few years back.

It was regularly used for contraception disasters when I was at University in the mid-late 1980s - you got it on prescription from your GP if you needed it or from another doctor via a sexual health clinic. The main possible side-effects were vomiting and nausea. It was the most usual option in these cases. I was a student Nightline volunteer in the 1980s, and it was one of the subjects we had to be aware of.

Here is a useful article from Ethics For Schools a resource written for schools by Christian doctors.

quote:
The treatment has been remarkably safe though a common side effect was nausea and vomiting. There were also theoretical, but unfounded, concerns over possible thrombotic side effects of the oestrogen component.[3]
[3] Vasilakis C, Jick SS, Jick H. Contraception 1999; 59: 79-83

L.

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

- Posted      Profile for Divine Outlaw   Author's homepage   Email Divine Outlaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lapsed heathen:
Defining life as starting at any particular point in time is tricky, what would be your criterion for defining life?

Defining life is actually fairly straightforward, albeit that there are some borderline cases such as viruses. The fetus is clearly living tissue. Moreover it is clearly a distinct organism, with a different genotype from the mother. But these are not the morally relevant issues. Life, in itself does not demand absolute respect - never mind the question of whether or not you are a vegetarian, have you ever used antibiotics, which kill bacteria? The ethically pertinent question is, is this personal life? And THIS question is certainly tricky.

--------------------
insert amusing sig. here

Laura
General nuisance
# 10

Louise, thanks. I know from personal knowledge that the combination of birth control pills as morning after birth control was available at least as early as 1984 in the US. It just wasn't officially packaged that way here. Doctors prescribed it regularly off-label.

--------------------

Paddy Leahy
Apprentice
# 3888

- Posted      Profile for Paddy Leahy   Author's homepage   Email Paddy Leahy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
This is way off-beam. The previous version of the 'morning-after pill' was the Schering PC4 which was licensed in the UK in 1984. It was superceded by Levonelle 2 a few years back.

That's not exactly 20 years and it's usage was minimal. I'm interested that you were a nightline officer - were you only expected to have knowledge of it or did you give it out?

The PC4 MAP was also not recommended due to its high failure rate. It was only 57% "successful" in comparison to Levonelle-2 which is 85% "successful" (though readers ought not to rely on those statistics too much since its success actually depends on how long after you have had sex you take the drug). (Schering Health Care Ltd leaflet on Levonelle-2 entitled Tell me about emergency
hormonal contraception)

quote:
The treatment has been remarkably safe though a common side effect was nausea and vomiting. There were also theoretical, but unfounded, concerns over possible thrombotic side effects of the oestrogen component.[3]
Whilst the Ethics for schools website is generally good it is slightly outdated. I don't have the PC4 summary list with me so you'll have to believe me that it was more dangerous (or alternatively have a better look around the web).

However the side effects for Levonelle-2 are fairly vicious:

Effect Percent of women with effect
(n=977 women)*
Nausea 23.1
Low abdominal pain 17.6
Fatigue 16.9
Headache 16.8
Dizziness 11.2
Breast tenderness 10.8
Vomiting 5.6

All other undesirable effects 13.5**

*Lancet, 1998, 352, 428-433;
**mostly diarrhoea, irregular bleeding and spotting

As one can see the chances of those side effects are rather high in comparison to most medication and I know a lot of girls who having used the MAP once will never go back to it due to their own experiences. It's therefore ridiculous to claim this is a completely safe drug.

One must remember that the Chief Medical Officer also recently issued guidelines demonstrating that the MAP increases a woman's chance of ectopic pregnancy by 6%. That again is extremely serious as ectopic pregnancy is a major cause of infertility. Considering that over 1 million doses of the MAP are taken each year we ought to be concerned. Still, it's a nice little earner for Schering.

quote:
Defining life is actually fairly straightforward, albeit that there are some borderline cases such as viruses. The fetus is clearly living tissue. Moreover it is clearly a distinct organism, with a different genotype from the mother. But these are not the morally relevant issues
I glad you see where I'm coming from. Whilst we may disagree about the rights of the unborn child we can at least agree that for pro-lifers the MAP represents abortion.

quote:

Life, in itself does not demand absolute respect - never mind the question of whether or not you are a vegetarian, have you ever used antibiotics, which kill bacteria?

Strangely enough I don't consider bacteria to be on a par with human life forms. This is also a slightly peculiar argument since we're supposed to be arguing about the rights of a foetus not whether or not its comparable to bacteria.

The comparison is slightly insulting to us former embryos... [Razz]

Paddy

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Papio:
and please elucidate a case where someone is "borderline" between a person and an object. I can't think of one.

I don't know of one, but its easy to think of one. If a computer program were to show signs of personality and self-awareness it would be a borderline case.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

That's not exactly 20 years and it's usage was minimal. I'm interested that you were a nightline officer - were you only expected to have knowledge of it or did you give it out?

The PC4 MAP was also not recommended due to its high failure rate. It was only 57% "successful" in comparison to Levonelle-2 which is 85% "successful" (though readers ought not to rely on those statistics too much since its success actually depends on how long after you have had sex you take the drug). (Schering Health Care Ltd leaflet on Levonelle-2 entitled Tell me about emergency
hormonal contraception)

quote:
Whilst the Ethics for schools website is generally good it is slightly outdated. I don't have the PC4 summary list with me so you'll have to believe me that it was more dangerous (or alternatively have a better look around the web).

However the side effects for Levonelle-2 are fairly vicious:

Effect Percent of women with effect
(n=977 women)*
Nausea 23.1
Low abdominal pain 17.6
Fatigue 16.9
Headache 16.8
Dizziness 11.2
Breast tenderness 10.8
Vomiting 5.6

All other undesirable effects 13.5**

*Lancet, 1998, 352, 428-433;
**mostly diarrhoea, irregular bleeding and spotting

As one can see the chances of those side effects are rather high in comparison to most medication and I know a lot of girls who having used the MAP once will never go back to it due to their own experiences. It's therefore ridiculous to claim this is a completely safe drug.

One must remember that the Chief Medical Officer also recently issued guidelines demonstrating that the MAP increases a woman's chance of ectopic pregnancy by 6%. That again is extremely serious as ectopic pregnancy is a major cause of infertility. Considering that over 1 million doses of the MAP are taken each year we ought to be concerned. Still, it's a nice little earner for Schering.

Paddy

If you want to nit-pick about 19 years as compared to 20 - go ahead. It's 2004 very soon! It was routinely used then in the 1980s for exactly the same thing as it is now.

The old Schering pill - like nearly all medicines - had a list of people it was contraindicated for: people with a bad cardiovascualar history, severe liver disease etc. when it was correctly prescribed to people who did not fall into these groups the side effects were as I indicated above - mostly vomiting and nausea.

The new MAP Levonelle actually has a 95% efficacy rate if taken in 24 hours of intercourse. It's only 85% as you say if more than 24 hours has elapsed. These stats are from the same CMO's note which you were citing.

CMO update 35 (scroll down for stuff on Levonelle) This was issued in January 2003.

However - I have just checked the Christian Medical Fellowship Site for Summer 2003 and they have the following on ectopic pregnancies

quote:
Taking Levonelle 2 (the morning after pill) may put the user at increased risk of ectopic pregnancy, according to an editorial in Trends in Urology Gynaecology and Sexual Health. The increased risk is thought to be small and a causal association between the drug and ectopic pregnancy is not proven. The Medicines Control Agency data of 12 ectopics out of 201 pregnancies (5.9%)following failure of the drug, is thought to be an inaccurate assessment as either event might be under-reported. The mechanism of action of the morning after pill has yet to be determined although altered tubal motility may be a factor. (TUGSH 2003; 8(3):5-6)
Which is very different from the sweeping claim which you make.

Finally I had to laugh at your description of the 'vicious' side effects of the MAP. Have you never heard of pregnancy? Believe me you'll get a shit-load more nausea, vomiting, lower abdominal aches and fatigue - not to mention the rest of it, if you try having a baby and it won't go away in a day or two.

Anyway the side effects of MAPs are hardly relevant to the issues of what constitutes a person and whether abortion is ever justified - which is the subject of this thread.

L.

BTW to get the MAP prescribed in the 80s you went to a doctor one way or another. It was not available from student groups.

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Paddy Leahy
Apprentice
# 3888

quote:
If you want to nit-pick about 19 years as compared to 20 - go ahead. It's 2004 very soon! It was routinely used then in the 1980s for exactly the same thing as it is now.

Oh I'm not the nit-picking type. But my comments were in reference to the widespread usage. Though I ought to check when the product was approved.

quote:
The new MAP Levonelle actually has a 95% efficacy rate if taken in 24 hours of intercourse. It's only 85% as you say if more than 24 hours has elapsed. These stats are from the same CMO's note which you were citing.
Yup but the 85% statistic is an average (taken crudely, I'm told, by going on 36 hours - the mid-way point as 72 hours is the limit). Though to be fair it would be impossible for them to form any other average without recording the length of time it takes someone to actually use the MAP.

In reality I suspect few people use it within 24 hours. There needed to be (though not any more as of this month) 12 hours between the first and second pill and it's unlikely that most people would have obtained it within 12 hours of having sex.

quote:
I'm just going on the CMO's advice. Furthermore I think we ought to take anything mentioned in Trends in Urology Gynaecology and Sexual Health with the customary pinch of salt considering who its main readership and editorial is.

quote:
Finally I had to laugh at your description of the 'vicious' side effects of the MAP
I'm not comparing it to pregnancy but analysing it as a drug in its own right. You have to remember as well that in most cases the woman won't be pregnant. She will simply be swallowing a cocktail of hormones with no other effect.

quote:
Anyway the side effects of MAPs are hardly relevant to the issues of what constitutes a person and whether abortion is ever justified - which is the subject of this thread.
Very true. But thought I'd squeeze them in nonetheless.

quote:
BTW to get the MAP prescribed in the 80s you went to a doctor one way or another. It was not available from student groups.
I was double-checking as there have been reports that some people were giving it out illegally.

As a side note don't you think its deceiving of women to claim the drug is a contraception when at the very least it ought to be named a post-coital drug?

Paddy

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm interested that you were a nightline officer - were you only expected to have knowledge of it or did you give it out?

An unusual way of phrasing a question. Were it asked of me I would be very wary of answering it, if only because I wouldn't want to see lots of looney leaflets about Student Unions employing unqualified people to give dodgy drug advice.
Which is, I assume, the reason for asking it.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Louise
Shipmate
# 30

quote:
quote:

Oh I'm not the nit-picking type. But my comments were in reference to the widespread usage. Though I ought to check when the product was approved.

quote:
Yup but the 85% statistic is an average (taken crudely, I'm told, by going on 36 hours - the mid-way point as 72 hours is the limit). Though to be fair it would be impossible for them to form any other average without recording the length of time it takes someone to actually use the MAP.

In reality I suspect few people use it within 24 hours. There needed to be (though not any more as of this month) 12 hours between the first and second pill and it's unlikely that most people would have obtained it within 12 hours of having sex.

quote:
I'm just going on the CMO's advice. Furthermore I think we ought to take anything mentioned in Trends in Urology Gynaecology and Sexual Health with the customary pinch of salt considering who its main readership and editorial is.

quote:
Finally I had to laugh at your description of the 'vicious' side effects of the MAP
I'm not comparing it to pregnancy but analysing it as a drug in its own right. You have to remember as well that in most cases the woman won't be pregnant. She will simply be swallowing a cocktail of hormones with no other effect.

quote:
Very true. But thought I'd squeeze them in nonetheless.

quote:
I was double-checking as there have been reports that some people were giving it out illegally.

As a side note don't you think its deceiving of women to claim the drug is a contraception when at the very least it ought to be named a post-coital drug?

Paddy

You're muddying things here by factoring in 12 hours between pills. What the stats cover is the Coitus-to-Treatment Interval which is the time at which the person first seeks and receives the treatment, regardless of whether they are taking the two-pill version or the one dose version. So factoring in the 12 hours between doses is simply irrelevant. If you take the first step of your treatment within the 24 hours the relevant stats apply.

No, you weren't just going on the CMO's advice you were radically misinterpreting it by talking about using the MAP as increasing a woman's chance of ectopic pregnancy by 6%, whilst what we are actually talking about was the possible percentage of ectopic preganancies in the group of women for whom the pill failed - a further percentage of a percentage.

Your little exercise in well-poisoning is somewhat undermined by the fact that the Christian Medical Fellowship who ought to know what they are talking about, don't appear to share your concerns on citing this journal.

If you don't compare it to pregnancy then you are missing the point altogether. Compared to an unwanted pregancy it's a minor hassle and very safe. Most drugs have side effects, the reason people tolerate the side effects is to avoid something which they consider to be far far worse.

As for terminology - it all depends on your view on the possible prevention of the implantation of a zygote. People who take a low view of that don't tend to have a problem with the term 'emergency contraception'. People who take a very high view of that tend to get very angry about it.

L.

--------------------

Paddy Leahy
Apprentice
# 3888

quote:
You're muddying things here by factoring in 12 hours between pills
But it's significant. That 12 hours can be the difference between preventing conception and preventing implantation.

quote:
No, you weren't just going on the CMO's advice you were radically misinterpreting it by talking about using the MAP as increasing a woman's chance of ectopic pregnancy by 6%, whilst what we are actually talking about was the possible percentage of ectopic preganancies in the group of women for whom the pill failed - a further percentage of a percentage.
I made the point clear enough though - obviously it would only apply to those women who then become pregnant. I didn't think it needed to be spelt out [Razz]

quote:
Your little exercise in well-poisoning is somewhat undermined by the fact that the Christian Medical Fellowship who ought to know what they are talking about, don't appear to share your concerns on citing this journal.
Just talk to any of the CMF staff, rather than selectively choosing statements they make, and I'm sure you'll find they have a healthy concern about the safety of the MAP.

quote:
If you don't compare it to pregnancy then you are missing the point altogether.
No I'm not. I am talking about the safety of the drug not whether pregnancy happens to be more dangerous. I think its wrong to term pregnancy in terms of danger etc anyway since it demonises pregnancy and to some extent pregnant women.

quote:
As for terminology - it all depends on your view on the possible prevention of the implantation of a zygote. People who take a low view of that don't tend to have a problem with the term 'emergency contraception'. People who take a very high view of that tend to get very angry about it.
Well a lot of feminists don't like it being referred to as emergency contraception. Contraception obviously refers to something which acts contra-conception. Clearly in this instance it is not contra-conception as it can work to prevent implantation. At the very least it ought to be referred to as post-coital and labelled accordingly so that women are aware.

If you're pro-choice then presumably you're all for women being given information to make choices? It's quite wrong for women to be deliberately deceived. It's like they're being tricked into taking this drug.

Paddy

Laura
General nuisance
# 10

Paddy, if it's wrong to speak of the health risks of pregnancy and birth, which are many (ask my friend with the preeclampsia and the fourth-degree peritoneal tears) for fear of "demonising" women and pregnancy (this sounds a bit overblown a risk to me, as the risks are well-known) then it is equally wrong to overstate the risks associated with the morning after pill combination to achieve some other end. There is no disputing that the risks of pregnancy and childbirth are higher than those of morning-after birth control. But none of this, none of it is relevant to whether morning after pills are a form of abortion, or whether abortion is wrong.

--------------------

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

quote:
quote:
You're muddying things here by factoring in 12 hours between pills
But it's significant. That 12 hours can be the difference between preventing conception and preventing implantation.

No it isn't - the statistics are designed to take that into account that's why they talk of the coitus to treatment interval. You may not like that but that's what it means.

quote:
I made the point clear enough though - obviously it would only apply to those women who then become pregnant. I didn't think it needed to be spelt out [Razz]

You did not make the point clear at all. What you said was

quote:
One must remember that the Chief Medical Officer also recently issued guidelines demonstrating that the MAP increases a woman's chance of ectopic pregnancy by 6%.
which is clearly wrong.

quote:
Just talk to any of the CMF staff, rather than selectively choosing statements they make, and I'm sure you'll find they have a healthy concern about the safety of the MAP.

More well poisoning - show me your links which back this up. You don't seem to have anything but slurs and vague anecdotal claims. Judging by the attitude of the Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain and also here it doesn't sound like they agree with you either.

quote:
No I'm not. I am talking about the safety of the drug not whether pregnancy happens to be more dangerous. I think its wrong to term pregnancy in terms of danger etc anyway since it demonises pregnancy and to some extent pregnant women.

As a historian I can't believe that you are seriously putting this forward as an argument. Pregnancy has always been dangerous and has always carried very significant risks. It still does and they are much higher than those of the MAP - which is part of the reason why women take it.

quote:

Well a lot of feminists don't like it being referred to as emergency contraception. Contraception obviously refers to something which acts contra-conception. Clearly in this instance it is not contra-conception as it can work to prevent implantation. At the very least it ought to be referred to as post-coital and labelled accordingly so that women are aware.

If you're pro-choice then presumably you're all for women being given information to make choices? It's quite wrong for women to be deliberately deceived. It's like they're being tricked into taking this drug.

Paddy

The information about how it works is readily available. It is also often called the post-coital pill. I have merely discussed why other people might use the term. I haven't advocated using the term myself nor have I used it myself. I can both see why it might be used and see why people might strongly object to it.

Personally I find this kind of scaremongering detracts from the pro-life cause. I have a lot of sympathy with people who want to discuss whether the important point in this process is conception but once people start up the scaremongering about things like the MAP, they seem no better than the sort of creationists who are willing to distort scientific findings in order to back up their religious viewpoint. It's not convincing - it's quite the opposite.

L

--------------------

Peronel

The typo slayer
# 569

- Posted      Profile for Peronel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Paddy

How on earth are women being tricked into taking it?!

'woops, I accidently tripped over that tricky step, fell into my doctor's surgery and landed on a pill. Their bad.'

'uhoh. I thought it was a chocolate; I think someone slipped a morning after pill in it.'

'morning after pill', btw, is the way it seems to be universally known (apologies for regional differences, if any). That certainly
strongly implies 'post-coital'.

Paddy, you say that discussing the risks of pregnancy 'demonizes' pregnant women. Nasty word. But how much more does it denigrate women to imply that vast droves of us are so simple we can be tricked into taking the bad pill? Women are perfectly capable of making decisions about their own health, even if you'd rather think otherwise.

Peronel.

--------------------
Lord, I have sinned, and mine iniquity.
Deserves this hell; yet Lord deliver me.

Posts: 2367 | From: A self-inflicted exile | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

Just a quick thought;

I know this is Dead Horses and all, but could we get back to the matter at hand- ie; abortion in the case of a cleft-pallate. I am 'pro-life' whatever that means but I reckon even many people who believe abortion is acceptable in many circumstances and certainly many who think 'emergency contraception' is ok would have problems with this particular case.

can we focus on that issue rather than abortion in general? Anway, just a thought...

alienfromzog

--------------------
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

thursday+
Shipmate
# 5264

I think this is the designated 'Abortion' thread, so it's intended that we use it for everything abortion-related. I think a host said somewhere. Or not. I don't know. Clarification, somebody?

--------------------
Newman's Own.

TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Hostly interjection]

Although this thread did start out on the 'cleft palette' bit, it was transferred to DH with the intention that it could, if required, be broadened out to cover 'abortion' in general. An earlier DH thread on abortion got cleared out some time ago and no longer exists in any accessible board (AFAIK!)

[/Hostly interjection]

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Paddy Leahy
Apprentice
# 3888

Women are being tricked into taking the pill because the government is deliberately labelling it as a contraceptive even though it definitely is not a contraceptive. As I have stated repeatedly, at the very least this drug ought to be labelled post-coital.

Regardless of opinions about the MAP, one must agree, as Germaine Greer does, that there is deliberate deception involved on the part of the government.

Paddy Leahy
Apprentice
# 3888

I have also been accused of hyping up the risks associated with the MAP. This seems an odd suggestion since I have only quoted the side effects supplied by Levonelle themselves.

As for pregnancy being more dangerous - I'm not so sure of that. Certainly in the past it would have been but I'd need to look at more detailed statistics. It could well be the case that the MAP is indeed more dangerous than pregnancy. In the last abortion statistics released there were no abortions to save the life of the mother and only a small number to prevent damage to the health of the mother.

Moreover, many of the effects of the MAP are likely to be unreported as, young girls in particular, are unlikely, for obvious reasons, to be keen to report any negative reaction.

Furthermore its actually difficult for doctors to assess what side effects have occurred since the MAP is available over the counter and resultantly there is no necessary check up or no update on medical records

Kyralessa
Shipmate
# 4568

- Posted      Profile for Kyralessa   Email Kyralessa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I have also been accused of hyping up the risks associated with the MAP. This seems an odd suggestion since I have only quoted the side effects supplied by Levonelle themselves.

I swear by ibuprofen for my headaches, but it can cause stomach bleeding if you take too much. So what? If a drug has side effects, either they affect a small enough number of people that it's still worth having the drug on the market (e.g. ibuprofen) or the benefit is significant enough that it's worth risking the side effects (e.g. chemotherapy).

As others have pointed out, whether or not the MAP is safe has nothing to do with whether the use of it for its intended purpose is moral.

--------------------
In Orthodoxy, a child is considered an icon of the parents' love for each other.

I'm just glad all my other icons don't cry, crap, and spit up this much.

Posts: 1597 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

Paddy, it doesn't matter a whit whether they call it contraceptive or "post-coital". Women know what it's for and what it does: we're not idiots.

Once again, we're seeing an abortion opponent overstate the risks associated with a form of arguable abortifacient in order to persuade about the badness of abortion or discourage people from using it. This is a morally bankrupt way of arguing about an issue that is far too important to deserve this sort of treatment. And I'm sick of it.

Let's get back to dealing with whether and when abortion might be moral, and leave the bad science back at home.

After all, what do the statistics tell is? In case anyone wants to know, pregnancy related morbidity and mortality information is widely available through the net. According to the CDC, maternal mortality in the US from 1987 - 1997 was 9.2 per 100,000 live births. A very low rate. According to a WHO report, maternal deaths in Southeast Asia (far more common there) can be attributed to (13%) unsafe abortion; Eclampsia (12%); Obstructed labour (8%) Postpartum haemorrhage (25% of deaths); puerperal sepsis (15%); other direct obstetric causes (8%) (these include ectopic and molar pregnancy, and embolisms).

According to a Nat'l Academy of Sciemces report called The Consequences of Maternal Morbidity and Maternal Mortality: Report of a Workshop (2000), (quoting WHO report from 1993) worldwide, half a million women die of pregnancy and childbirth related complications each year. This represents a global death rate of 390 per 100,000 live births, so you can see what a difference it makes to live in the developed world.

All of this is completely separate from the much higher rate of pregnancy-related complications, many of which are not reported. But just a personal tally -- I began to suffer from agonizing acute carpal tunnel syndrome during my first preganancy and still am practically unable to type for a day or two each month. A friend suffered a fourth-degree tear during delivery that tore into her anus. It will take surgery to restore her nether regions. Another relative nearly died from toxemia.

Now, abortion morbidity and mortality rates are exceptionally difficult to track. I have read credible criticism of abortion statistics as being underinclusive and underreported. I've also read the Planned Parenthood standard line about abortion being far safer than pregnancy, and I've read a Finnish study that suggests that abortion is more dangerous.

However, the conclusion it *is* fair to draw is that abortion (and the morning-after pill, as we call it in the US) is very safe and so is pregnancy.

And that conclusion has nothing to do with the morality of abortion.

--------------------

Asaltydog
Apprentice
# 3062

- Posted      Profile for Asaltydog     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A few (hopefully relevant) thoughts...

I was born with a bi-lateral (both sides) hare lip and cleft palate. My timing was a bit off, since my birth (mid sixties) coincided with some new developments in plastic and reconstructive surgery. My parents were WAY too keen for me to be a guinea-pig, which resulted in around 17 operations over about 10 years instead of the now usual immediate repair, followed by cosmetic tweaks at various stages as required. Almost all my summer holidays during school were spent in hospital...

Anyway, I had a pretty screwed up childhood in many ways, the butt of endless cruel jokes and taunts, but I got through it. Having said that, I still struggle to accept the way I look though I'm assured it's practically un-noticable now (thank you Mr. Piggott wherever you are!), and my speech is mostly ok, unless I'm tired (or drunk!).

Oh, and I'm married.. with two kids... and this is where it gets relevant again...

I spent both of my wife's pregnancies paralysed with fear, wondering if my children would share my condition. I can honestly say I prayed every single night from the moment we knew she was expecting, that God would 'spare' them. I felt I could cope with all manner of 'disabilities' except mine... I honestly had moments when I thought I would end their lives if they had hare lips or cleft palates. How ridiculous was that??

They're now 12 and 9, both amazing boys, very good looking if I do say so myself, I wouldn't change them for the world.

I still cringe inside when I see another hare- lipped person in the street, or on TV. I still find praise hard to accept, preferring instead to believe people are being nice because of my condition.... I believe abortion is wrong; I also understand why someone might want to abort a baby with a cleft palate...

Though on a good day I'd argue with them not to...

Ophelia's Opera Therapist
Shipmate
# 4081

- Posted      Profile for Ophelia's Opera Therapist   Author's homepage   Email Ophelia's Opera Therapist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So far as I know the Morning After Pill (as it is commonly known in the UK as well as the US) is also termed 'Emergency Contraception' because it can be used up to 72 hours after the sex act. Organisations providing it want women to realise that even if they are a bit later than 'the morning after' it is not too late to prevent conception. This is surely what contraception means, so the term 'Emergency Contraception' does not seem a misnoma to me.

I don't think Emergency contraception is an altogether great thing as the use of a high dose of hormones is not ideal, but then neither is an unwanted pregnancy.

The moral issues of how contraception and emergency (post-coital) contraception may or may not connect to abortion have been discussed at length earlier in this thread.

OOT

--------------------
Though the bleak sky is burdened I'll pray anyway,
And though irony's drained me I'll now try sincere,
And whoever it was that brought me here
Will have to take me home.
Martyn Joseph

Posts: 979 | From: Birmingham, UK | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tabby Cat
Shipmate
# 4561

- Posted      Profile for Tabby Cat     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
The researchers studied many pairs of identical twins, and didn't find any who were 100% genetically identical. All were between 90 and 100%.

Moo

I know this is from a few pages ago, and isn't particularly relevant now - but this can't be true!

Humans share at least 95% of their DNA with chimpanzees - possibly up to 98.5% - and any two humans are 99.9% genetically identical. Here's one link.

Posts: 1063 | From: Paddling at the edge of the sea | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tabby Cat:
quote:
The researchers studied many pairs of identical twins, and didn't find any who were 100% genetically identical. All were between 90 and 100%.

Moo

I know this is from a few pages ago, and isn't particularly relevant now - but this can't be true!

Of course it can how much identical genetic material do I do share with you problably less than 80%. If it was a 100% I would just like you.

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Identical twins come from the same fertilised egg, and should be genetically identical - just as much as any two cells in a single individual, because that is what identical twins are - a single individual split into two.

I'd therefore also be very interested in this "80-100%" research, especially given the 95-97% shared DNA with chimps.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nightlamp:
If it was a 100% I would just like you.

Genetically, yes. But not all personal characteristics -- not even the physical ones -- are caused by genes. For instance, not even identical twins have matching fingerprints.

[ 20. February 2004, 05:14: Message edited by: Mousethief ]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

quote:
Originally posted by Tabby Cat:
quote:

Moo

Humans share at least 95% of their DNA with chimpanzees - possibly up to 98.5% - and any two humans are 99.9% genetically identical. Here's one link.

Just thought you might like to know. The genetic material in each of your cells (which if unwound and stretched out would be about 2m long) is approximately 97% junk. The chromosomes have various structures that aren't genes including telomeres (the ends) and centromeres (the middle). But in each chromosome only 3% is made up of actual genes (and bits needed to make the genes work). AND of your genes the biggest parts are junk as well! - these bits of junk are called introns are not part of the genes coding sequence.

So whilst we are approximately 97% the same as chimps we are also 97% junk. [Confused] However if you look at the world you will see that we are very unlike chimps so if you want to know what makes us special, genetics doesn't have the answer - perhaps the bible does. [Angel]

Alienfromzog BSc(Hons)

[ 23. February 2004, 12:34: Message edited by: alienfromzog ]

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The important question (and I certainly hear the canter of a different dead horse here) is whether we are 97% similar to chimps within the 3% of our DNA that is functional.

My understanding is that we are.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

*bump*

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  18  19  20 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016