homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Dead Horses   » Anyone know any 'cured' gay folk? (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Anyone know any 'cured' gay folk?
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peter Ould:
quote:
And all this is leaving aside the notion that homosexual attraction is a sin.
Really? Gosh, where does the Bible say that? News to me...
quote:
Romans 1:27
And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

There is nothing in the above about homosexual acts, only experiencing homosexual attraction--"burning" in the same way that other unmarried people do, hence marriage (according to the same author). Only for us, there's no safety valve for our "error", only a meet recompence-- evidently a euphemism for divine wrath and damnation.

We have been tasked many times with this and neighboring verses. These scrupulous folks are even apt to tar any straight sympathizer with gay people with the same brush.

But clearly you understand it better than I, since you have an exegesis that overlooks it, or at least its obvious meaning, while remaining bothered by Paul's other statements on the subject. How do you do it?

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Peter Ould
Shipmate
# 482

- Posted      Profile for Peter Ould   Author's homepage   Email Peter Ould   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by OliviaG:
quote:
That would be the phrase used by the APA. ...
From their Task Force report on Reparative Therapy.

From the executive summary of said report:
quote:
The task force conducted a systematic review of the peer-reviewed journal literature on sexual orientation change efforts (SOCE) and concluded that efforts to change sexual orientation are unlikely to be successful and involve some risk of harm, contrary to the claims of SOCE practitioners and advocates.
Thus, the appropriate application of affirmative therapeutic interventions for those who seek SOCE involves therapist acceptance, support, and understanding of clients and the facilitation of clients’ active coping, social support, and identity exploration and development, without imposing a specific sexual orientation identity outcome.

But interestingly, go and find the footnotes which refer to which studies on "harm" and which studies on "efforts to change sexual orientation" were referenced. Did they cite Jones and Yarhouse? How many of the studies on "harm" were self-selecting?

Don't get me wrong, I'm very clear that the evidence is that reparative therapy doesn't work for most participants (if work is defined as shifting sexual orientation), but the standards of evidence required to prove "harm" seemed to be much less then the standards demanded to prove "change".

--------------------
Peter Ould
www.peter-ould.net

Posts: 94 | From: Canterbury | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Peter Ould
Shipmate
# 482

- Posted      Profile for Peter Ould   Author's homepage   Email Peter Ould   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alogon:
quote:
quote:
And all this is leaving aside the notion that homosexual attraction is a sin.
Really? Gosh, where does the Bible say that? News to me...
quote:
And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

There is nothing in the above about homosexual acts, only experiencing homosexual attraction--"burning" in the same way that other unmarried people do, hence marriage (according to the same author). Only for us, there's no safety valve for our "error", only a meet recompence-- evidently a euphemism for divine wrath and damnation.

We have been tasked many times with this and neighboring verses. These scrupulous folks are even apt to tar any straight sympathizer with gay people with the same brush.

But clearly you understand it better than I, since you have an exegesis that overlooks it, or at least its obvious meaning, while remaining bothered by Paul's other statements on the subject. How do you do it?

By reading the text properly (and not being sarcastic to someone in the process).

For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.
(Romans 1:26-27 ESV)

Notice the chain: consumed with passion => committing shameless acts => receiving in themselves the due penalty for the error.

What was the error? To be consumed with passion or to commit shameless acts?

The Greek tells us easily,

"Arsenes en arsesin ten aschemosunen katergazomenoi kai ten antimisthian en edei tes planes auton en heautois apolambanontes"

(Apologies for quick transliteration, but this forum doesn't appear to handle Greek...)

The "due penalty" - antimisthian - literally "response" - is linked grammatically to the committing shameless acts (aschemosunen katergazomenoi = lit. "accomplish shame") and not the lust.

--------------------
Peter Ould
www.peter-ould.net

Peter Ould
Shipmate
# 482

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
quote:
Jones and Yarhouse had no agenda. When they contacted Exodus to get members for the research they warned that they would publish regardless of the outcome (i.e. if the research showed that the therapy didn't work they would report as such).

They were, however, a very safe pair of hands.

Stanton L. Jones is provost and professor of psychology at Wheaton College in Wheaton, Illinois.

Mark A. Yarhouse (Psy.D., Wheaton College) is professor of psychology and Hughes Chair of Christian Thought in Mental Health Practice at Regent University in Virginia Beach, Virginia.

Both Wheaton and Regent are private Christian colleges, one closely associated with Billy Graham, the other set up by Pat Robertson.

They are not independent voices.

So now I'm thinking, if you knew that where they work and chose not to say, why is that?

So on this basis Prof Michael King here in the UK cannot have anything worthy to say on the subject because he is gay and politically active?

--------------------
Peter Ould
www.peter-ould.net

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So on this basis Prof Michael King here in the UK cannot have anything worthy to say on the subject because he is gay and politically active?

And again with the binary believe-it-100% or it's-all-tosh split.

I didn't say that the Jones and Yarwood study is dead in the water because of who they are (though I think it is, because of the combination of all the factors together). You said they didn't have an agenda. I'm saying that's a very problematic statement given where they studied, where they work and that Wheaton at least has form of trying to sack people who hold scientifically orthodox but inconvenient-for-Wheaton views.

So yes, there is a touch of "they would say that, wouldn't they?" about activists of either stripe. Prof King will undoubtedly have lots of worthy things to say on all sorts of matters - they need to be weighed as carefully, is all.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But interestingly, go and find the footnotes which refer to which studies on "harm" and which studies on "efforts to change sexual orientation" were referenced. Did they cite Jones and Yarhouse? How many of the studies on "harm" were self-selecting?

quote:
The task force examined the peer-reviewed journal articles in English from 1960 to 2007, which included 83 studies. Most of the studies were conducted before 1978, and only a few had been conducted in the last 10 years. The group also reviewed the recent literature on the psychology of sexual orientation.
Insufficient Evidence that Sexual Orientation Change Efforts Work, Says APA

I'm not going to bother reading the report's footnotes because the task force has analyzed the data and come to its own conclusions. They cite your "telic congruence" only to point out that it should not be a therapeutic goal, it should not even be suggested, it is unlikely to be achieved, and the effort involved in doing so may be harmful. Based on the literature they were able to review, they still decided that "mental health professionals should avoid telling clients that they can change their sexual orientation through therapy or other treatments." The fact that a significant portion of data is less recent is also suggestive: it would include studies from when being "out" was far less acceptable and therefore the motivation for change would be greater. And yet ...

quote:
"Practitioners can assist clients through therapies that do not attempt to change sexual orientation, but rather involve acceptance, support and identity exploration and development without imposing a specific identity outcome."
"In other words," Glassgold said, "we recommend that psychologists be completely honest about the likelihood of sexual orientation change, and that they help clients explore their assumptions and goals with respect to both religion and sexuality."

ISTM they're saying the problem isn't the person's sexuality, but rather the religious beliefs that are causing the client distress over their sexuality i.e. there's no point changing the light bulb that *is* working.

quote:
Don't get me wrong, I'm very clear that the evidence is that reparative therapy doesn't work for most participants (if work is defined as shifting sexual orientation), but the standards of evidence required to prove "harm" seemed to be much less then the standards demanded to prove "change".
Well, duh, of course it's that way. The first rule of medicine is do no harm. Unnecessary or ineffective treatments always have a risk of harm but offer no benefit. Why would anyone choose a treatment that is unlikely to work and has even slight risks? "Here, try this pill. It probably won't do anything but there's a really, really small chance it'll make your dick fall off." Any takers? OliviaG

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.

I would just like to point out that in both those versions, reference is made to "leaving" or "exchanging" natural practices. So the men were previously having sex with women, and vice versa. What makes you so sure that the sin isn't straight people indulging in a bit of gay sex, and has nothing to do with gay people? OliviaG

PS Oh, and "natural use of the woman"? [Projectile]

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I would just like to point out that in both those versions, reference is made to "leaving" or "exchanging" natural practices. So the men were previously having sex with women, and vice versa. What makes you so sure that the sin isn't straight people indulging in a bit of gay sex, and has nothing to do with gay people? OliviaG

And one wants to meet St Paul (or whoever wrote Romans)and say 'just grow up'.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Cadfael
Shipmate
# 11066

- Posted      Profile for Cadfael   Email Cadfael   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The "due penalty" - antimisthian - literally "response" - is linked grammatically to the committing shameless acts (aschemosunen katergazomenoi = lit. "accomplish shame") and not the lust.
You are quite the master of blame and judgement of others, but not so sharp on the sin and suffering that comes from the promulgation and fearful receipt of those notions. there is a different way to think about this:

Tony Campolo on the story of a gay son

I love the way this undermines the pernicious "hate the sin" line you are peddling. Accept a new judgement, Christ's absolute surrender treaty. It goes this way:

Examine yourself. Love others.
No terms.

C.

Posts: 576 | From: North by North West | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Indeed, some of the more intelligent commentaries see this as Paul referring back to Leviticus, and consequently referring to the same activity that Leviticus is referring to: to sex participated in for the purpose of religious rituals. Pagan sex orgies, basically. In which case it has nothing to do with sexual preference as we understand it.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Peter Ould
Shipmate
# 482

quote:
Originally posted by Cadfael:
quote:
You are quite the master of blame and judgement of others, but not so sharp on the sin and suffering that comes from the promulgation and fearful receipt of those notions. there is a different way to think about this:

I love the way this undermines the pernicious "hate the sin" line you are peddling. Accept a new judgement, Christ's absolute surrender treaty. It goes this way:

No terms.

C.

I am absolutely NOT going to debate with a person who imputes to me theological positions I do not hold and who then insults me on the basis of those positions.

Grow up.

--------------------
Peter Ould
www.peter-ould.net

Peter Ould
Shipmate
# 482

quote:
quote:

Do you want a serious discussion over the meaning of physis in Romans 1?

--------------------
Peter Ould
www.peter-ould.net

Peter Ould
Shipmate
# 482

quote:
quote:
"Practitioners can assist clients through therapies that do not attempt to change sexual orientation, but rather involve acceptance, support and identity exploration and development without imposing a specific identity outcome."
"In other words," Glassgold said, "we recommend that psychologists be completely honest about the likelihood of sexual orientation change, and that they help clients explore their assumptions and goals with respect to both religion and sexuality."

ISTM they're saying the problem isn't the person's sexuality, but rather the religious beliefs that are causing the client distress over their sexuality i.e. there's no point changing the light bulb that *is* working.

No, they don't say that the religious belief causes harm. Where do they say that? Line number please.

What they said is very clear - therapists are free to perform sexual identity therapy (i.e. helping clients achieve telic congruence) and they explicitly did NOT ban reparative therapy. They didn't ban it because, like the GMC here on a recent case on this subject, they realised that if they forbid therapists from performing reparative therapy because of lack of evidence then they would have to ban a whole horde of other popular therapies (e.g. Gestalt therapy) for which no evidential basis exists either.

I find it interesting how you pick and choose what you do and don't quote from the APA Task Force report.

--------------------
Peter Ould
www.peter-ould.net

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Notice the chain: consumed with passion => committing shameless acts => receiving in themselves the due penalty for the error.

"Arsenes en arsesin ten aschemosunen katergazomenoi kai ten antimisthian en edei tes planes auton en heautois apolambanontes"

(Apologies for quick transliteration, but this forum doesn't appear to handle Greek...)

How do you square that interpretation with the much stricter saying of Jesus in Matt 5:28?
quote:
But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

No terms.

C.

I am absolutely NOT going to debate with a person who imputes to me theological positions I do not hold and who then insults me on the basis of those positions.

Grow up.

hosting
Cadfael and Peter Ould,
May I draw your attention to the rules of these boards?

quote:
3. Attack the issue, not the person

Name-calling and personal insults are only allowed in Hell. Attacks outside of Hell are grounds for suspension or banning.

4. If you must get personal, take it to Hell

If you get into a personality conflict with other shipmates, you have two simple choices: end the argument or take it to Hell.

Please stop the personal remarks to each other immediately or take the matter to the Hell board. Uncomplimentary remarks are allowed with regard to arguments and posts but may not extend to persons.

In depth arguments about Biblical verses/linguistics belong on the Kerygmania board.

Many thanks

Louise
Dead Horses Host
hosting off

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

No terms.

C.

Grow up.

hosting
Cadfael and Peter Ould,
May I draw your attention to the rules of these boards?

quote:
3. Attack the issue, not the person

Name-calling and personal insults are only allowed in Hell. Attacks outside of Hell are grounds for suspension or banning.

4. If you must get personal, take it to Hell

If you get into a personality conflict with other shipmates, you have two simple choices: end the argument or take it to Hell.

Please stop the personal remarks to each other immediately or take the matter to the Hell board. Uncomplimentary remarks are allowed with regard to arguments and posts but may not extend to persons.

In depth arguments about Biblical verses/linguistics belong on the Kerygmania board.

Many thanks

Louise
Dead Horses Host
hosting off

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Cadfael
Shipmate
# 11066

- Posted      Profile for Cadfael   Email Cadfael   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Peter: I apologise for my earlier intemperate remarks.

Louise: thank you for your polite intervention.

Shipmates: I am so sorry for disrupting the debate. If I can steal a term from a popular movie, I was "emotionally compromised". I should not have entered the debate at this time.

C.

Peter Ould
Shipmate
# 482

quote:
quote:

How do you square that interpretation with the much stricter saying of Jesus in Matt 5:28?
quote:
But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

So we're all adulterers at heart, regardless of our sexuality. Jesus' point is simply that sin is not so much about what we do but simply who we are.

--------------------
Peter Ould
www.peter-ould.net

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
quote:
quote:

So we're all adulterers at heart, regardless of our sexuality. Jesus' point is simply that sin is not so much about what we do but simply who we are.
Okay, but you're specifically saying that homosexual attraction isn't a sin, homosexual acts are.

It seems to me that Jesus is saying that heterosexual attraction (to someone who isn't their wife) is as bad as an adulterous act. The thought in question probably goes beyond the "what a pleasant-mannered and attractive woman" to the "I'd like to give her a right seeing to", but it clearly indicates that a thought - even if it doesn't precede the act - is sinful.

This is clearly a hard saying, but I think the Matthew verse does have a bearing on the interpretation of Romans 1.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Peter Ould
Shipmate
# 482

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Okay, but you're specifically saying that homosexual attraction isn't a sin, homosexual acts are.

It seems to me that Jesus is saying that heterosexual attraction (to someone who isn't their wife) is as bad as an adulterous act. The thought in question probably goes beyond the "what a pleasant-mannered and attractive woman" to the "I'd like to give her a right seeing to", but it clearly indicates that a thought - even if it doesn't precede the act - is sinful.

This is clearly a hard saying, but I think the Matthew verse does have a bearing on the interpretation of Romans 1.

No. he's not saying that. He's saying that lusting after a woman is a sinful thing. However at the same time the Bible clearly says that sex within marriage (and the desire to have sex within marriage) is a good thing.

Compare this to one form of sex outside of marriage (sex between two people of the same sex) which the Bible always says is a bad thing.

--------------------
Peter Ould
www.peter-ould.net

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
quote:

No. he's not saying that. He's saying that lusting after a woman is a sinful thing. However at the same time the Bible clearly says that sex within marriage (and the desire to have sex within marriage) is a good thing.
That's disagreeing with me, then repeating exactly what I said using different words. I'm bemused.

quote:
Compare this to one form of sex outside of marriage (sex between two people of the same sex) which the Bible always says is a bad thing.
That's a legitimate area of disagreement. I think the Bible has lots to say about straights engaging in orgiastic rituals where slaves and temple prostitutes are abused. I don't think it has much relevance to people with what we currently understand as a homosexual orientation.

Let them marry. They'd have a licit avenue for sexual activity, just like heterosexuals.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Peter Ould
Shipmate
# 482

quote:
That's a legitimate area of disagreement. I think the Bible has lots to say about straights engaging in orgiastic rituals where slaves and temple prostitutes are abused. I don't think it has much relevance to people with what we currently understand as a homosexual orientation.

*Snigger*

I never get tired of this one and I'll play any time of the day.

Come on, enlighten us. Where does the Bible talk about "straights engaging in orgiastic rituals where slaves and temple prostitutes are abused"? We're all dying to know.

--------------------
Peter Ould
www.peter-ould.net

Cadfael
Shipmate
# 11066

quote:
quote:

*Snigger*

Come on, enlighten us. Where does the Bible talk about "straights engaging in orgiastic rituals where slaves and temple prostitutes are abused"? We're all dying to know.

The term "straights" is defined over against "gays". Biblical writers didn't understand that these differences existed, and of course you will find no reference to "straights" per se. Nevertheless the point about identity-divergent sexual activity as an abuse of power is well known:

"In ethics, I learnt that rape is not primarily about sex, but about power; that sexual abuse is not primarily about sex, but about power; and that sexual boundaries are needed, not primarily because of sex, but because of power."

For more, see -
this article

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
quote:

*Snigger*

Fine. So you have all the answers you need. You see no reason to put a manuscript in its historical context, especially where you have a vested interest in interpreting the text in one particular way.

The rest of us, not so much. I certainly think that not to do look at the cultural, political and religious context of Bible passages risks abusing the text.

Greco-Roman temple worship sometimes involved pederasty and anal sex, something attested to by contemporary accounts and the interpretations of the Romans 1 text by the early church. There didn't appear to be any culturally-defined homosexual culture in the 1st century near east - as I understand it, as long as Roman men married and produced offspring, they could pretty much sleep with who they wanted, male or female. And sodomising those of a lower social rank was one particular way of demonstrating your power.

I think it much more likely that Paul was writing against this widespread and pervasive behaviour than he was about addressing a tiny minority of exclusively-homosexual persons who, due to the mores of the dominant culture, could effectively swim unseen in society.

Now, whether you could argue that Paul's prohibition on same-sex acts extends to those early Christians with a homosexual attraction, essentially leaving them with two choices - marriage or celibacy - is a follow-on debate and not Paul's primary concern.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Peter Ould
Shipmate
# 482

quote:
quote:
quote:

*Snigger*

Fine. So you have all the answers you need. You see no reason to put a manuscript in its historical context, especially where you have a vested interest in interpreting the text in one particular way.

The rest of us, not so much. I certainly think that not to do look at the cultural, political and religious context of Bible passages risks abusing the text.

Greco-Roman temple worship sometimes involved pederasty and anal sex, something attested to by contemporary accounts and the interpretations of the Romans 1 text by the early church. There didn't appear to be any culturally-defined homosexual culture in the 1st century near east - as I understand it, as long as Roman men married and produced offspring, they could pretty much sleep with who they wanted, male or female. And sodomising those of a lower social rank was one particular way of demonstrating your power.

I think it much more likely that Paul was writing against this widespread and pervasive behaviour than he was about addressing a tiny minority of exclusively-homosexual persons who, due to the mores of the dominant culture, could effectively swim unseen in society.

Now, whether you could argue that Paul's prohibition on same-sex acts extends to those early Christians with a homosexual attraction, essentially leaving them with two choices - marriage or celibacy - is a follow-on debate and not Paul's primary concern.

You believe that cultic Cybele / Rhea worship involved male / male or female / female shrine prostitution? Do you have a contemporaneous text which indicates as much, or are you just relying on what you read somewhere?

--------------------
Peter Ould
www.peter-ould.net

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

quote:
The Galli not only castrated themselves but emphasized their artificial femininity through feminine dress and manners, so their high-pitched voices, long wild hair, and garish costume made them instantly recognizable. Moreover, the implicit degradation of such female appearance reinforced popular assumptions about their licentious behavior. Their castrated status made it impossible for them to reproduce, but this did not appear to inhibit their sexual appetites or keep them from erotic liaisons with both men and women. Numerous anecdotes and references portray the Galli as the purveyors of offbeat sexual activities, clearly exciting to respectable people. ... We receive the impression that the ambiguous sexual status of the Galli was precisely the thing that made them covertly attractive.
In Search of God the Mother -
The Cult of Anatolian Cybele

If Paul were around today, he would probably object to Kathoey and Hijra. OliviaG

Peter Ould
Shipmate
# 482

quote:
quote:
The Galli not only castrated themselves but emphasized their artificial femininity through feminine dress and manners, so their high-pitched voices, long wild hair, and garish costume made them instantly recognizable. Moreover, the implicit degradation of such female appearance reinforced popular assumptions about their licentious behavior. Their castrated status made it impossible for them to reproduce, but this did not appear to inhibit their sexual appetites or keep them from erotic liaisons with both men and women. Numerous anecdotes and references portray the Galli as the purveyors of offbeat sexual activities, clearly exciting to respectable people. ... We receive the impression that the ambiguous sexual status of the Galli was precisely the thing that made them covertly attractive.
In Search of God the Mother -
The Cult of Anatolian Cybele

If Paul were around today, he would probably object to Kathoey and Hijra. OliviaG

Olivia,

You misunderstand me. I don't want a reference to a secondary source. Can you please show me in a primary source where the cult of Cybele / Rhea performed same-sex ritual prostitution.

--------------------
Peter Ould
www.peter-ould.net

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

It took a bit of searching, but this is meticulously researched and referenced.

From the same source is a list of all the uses of the word arsenokoit here. Reading the rubric indicates three different translations of the word, each defensible.

I am not a Classical scholar, but at the very least, there seems to be sufficient contemporary sources to argue that Goddess cults did encourage temple prostitution including same-sex sex acts.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

hosting

The subject of this thread is claims to cure gay people and whether "any Gay shipmates have any experience of this type of therapy? [Is there] Anyone here for whom this has worked or [who] know[s] anyone for whom it has worked?" So could posters please return to that subject on this thread?

If people wish to go back to basics and re-tread the Biblical context and issues like temple prostitution in the ancient world, then please either start a new thread for a specific question or take the discussion to our 86 page monster Homosexuality and Christianity thread where the relevant texts and words have been discussed many times.

( Infrequent flyers please note - that thread goes back over ten years - so dont go expecting people to hold the same views from ten years ago or even to be around anymore from the early posts. If you want to search the entire thread, then put it into printer-friendly view and use ctrl-F).

Please do not continue the ritual prostitution or textual interpretation tangents on this thread.

Thanks!

Louise

Dead Horses Host

[Doc Tor, you unfortunately cross posted with me - please could you take that post elsewhere?]

hosting off

[ 29. April 2012, 22:43: Message edited by: Louise ]

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

Yes, ma'am!

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

As the discussion has moved to the general thread - thread closed.

--------------------

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

hosting
I've re-opened this thread on a request to return to the subject of the OP - please stick to that and do not follow the derails which led to the thread being closed in the first place, as per my host post 29 April, 2012 21:57

Thanks!
Louise
Dead Horses Host

hosting off

--------------------

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do know of Seraphim Rose who was an American hieromonk of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia. (click link for his wiki article)

He was not "cured" as such, but he did repent of his behaviour. The article says:

In 1956 Rose came out as a homosexual to a close friend from college, after his mother discovered letters between him and Walter Pomeroy, Rose's friend from high school. Rose ceased his homosexual activities after he accepted Orthodoxy, eventually ending a relationship with Jon Gregerson, a Californian of Finnish ancestry whom Rose met in the summer of 1955 while attending Watts' academy, and who had become Rose's partner.

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Posts: 2080 | From: Leicester | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Robert Spitzer has apologized for lending credence to notion that therapy can change sexual orientation.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm vaguely aware that I had intended to repost a version of my story after the Ship's engines ate the first one.

Not sure when I'll have the time to do that, sorry. This week is looking full.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Without going too much off-topic, I am not sure that there is a "cure" for gayness. Maybe there is, maybe there isn't, I don't know.

But even if it can be proved that gay cures don't work, it doesn't necessarily mean that gay behaviour is right and acceptable to God.

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Betts:
Without going too much off-topic, I am not sure that there is a "cure" for gayness. Maybe there is, maybe there isn't, I don't know.

But even if it can be proved that gay cures don't work, it doesn't necessarily mean that gay behaviour is right and acceptable to God.

Gay behaviour?

Please expand on this. I'm all agog. If it doesn't involve mincing down the high street and singing showtunes, I'll be disappointed.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

Actually, as per Louise's hostly ruling, please expand on this on this thread to avoid derailing this one.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

hosting

Thanks for spotting that and nipping it in the bud. I'd only just re-opened this thread. I'd rather not have to immediately close it again! Please stick to the topic or take more general discussion to the thread indicated.

thanks,
Louise
Dead Horses Host

hosting off

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Gay behaviour?

Please expand on this. I'm all agog. If it doesn't involve mincing down the high street and singing showtunes, I'll be disappointed.

I'm not sure this is a tangent. Blogger Jim Burroway attended a conference on gay conversion therapy a few years ago and noted the importance to that movement of using vocabulary to separate people from their sexuality.

quote:
Focus in the Family and Exodus have expended a great deal of resources to develop the phrases and the terminology they use. In doing so, they’ve crafted an entire language, complete with its own lexicon and syntax. For example, the terms they used for describing gay people were very different from yours or mine, and Mike Haley’s problem with “love the sin, hate the sinner” provides a glimpse into that difference. Their language is specially designed to treat people and their sexuality as if they were two completely separate entities, as if sexuality were a separate thing outside of the person. As Melissa Fryrear put it in a breakout session, they constantly work to “separate the ‘who’ from the ‘do’,” or, as others have put it more crudely in Mike Haley’s example, “the sinner” from “the sin”.

<snip>

Since the language of Love Won Out represents a distinct dialect of Evangelical Christianity, the first order of business for the day was to teach us the elements of that dialect. First up was Dr. Nicolosi. He began his talk by proclaiming that “there is no such thing as a homosexual.” Knowing this was a head-scratcher to most people there, he repeated it again: “There is no such thing as a homosexual… He is a heterosexual, but he may have a homosexual problem.”

So here’s the first lesson: the words “gay,” “lesbian,” and “homosexual” aren’t nouns; they’re adjectives. And even as an adjectives they are never used to describe a person. There are no gay teenagers, there are no homosexual men, there are no lesbian women. Instead these adjectives are always used as modifiers to something else: a problem, a struggle, an identity, or an issue that is separate from the person. This is important because it’s very different from how these terms are normally used in the broader culture. It is also very different from how these terms are used even by other anti-gay activists.

Emphasis added by me. The whole post is worth a read (and it's Part 3 of a whole series that's worth a read) but the short version is that this kind of compartmentalization, separating gay people from gay behaviors and regarding them as completely separate things, seems to be both intrinsic to the "cure the gay" therpeutic paradigm and very important to them from a public relations point of view.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

The title of the thread is "Anyone know any 'cured' gay folk?"

It isn't "Is it possible to 'cure' gay people."

We had better comply, otherwise we will lose the thread.

--------------------

Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In relation to the OP: NO, I've never encountered a "cured" gay person.

Maybe this is weaselling, but I have met people with various levels of bisexualism, and those people have had times of being more "gay" or more "straight"...but even they have not been "cured" of their proclivities.

Nor do they want to be.

As seems to be the most likely case, there are OTHER PEOPLE who want to "cure" the "gay" or the "bi" (oe even the "straight"!), but this is a projectiion of someone else's desires/hang-ups/religious need to dominate people, which has nothing to do with the actual gay or bi or straight person in question.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The problem then becomes when the "OTHER PEOPLE" persuade gay and lesbian people to internalize the anti-gay agenda and waste time -sometimes years- hating and rejecting an integral part of themselves.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
The problem then becomes when the "OTHER PEOPLE" persuade gay and lesbian people to internalize the anti-gay agenda and waste time -sometimes years- hating and rejecting an integral part of themselves.

...But, love them or loathe them, I don't think anyone would attempt to 'cure' a gay person unless that person wanted to be cured.

And, no, I don't know of any gay people who have been 'cured', only a few who have repented and abstained.

--------------------

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

quote:
The title of the thread is "Anyone know any 'cured' gay folk?"

It isn't "Is it possible to 'cure' gay people."

We had better comply, otherwise we will lose the thread.

hosting

Anything (within reason) on attempts to cure gay people and whether such cures work or not is pretty much fine on this thread, and those subjects have already been discussed previously on the thread. What's not OK are lengthy tangents on subjects which either don't belong on this board at all or which have open threads on them elsewhere on the board.

The hosts will let people know if they think things are drifting too far and guide people whether to move thread or board or to curtail a tangent.

Thanks,
Louise
Dead Horses Host
hosting off

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

...But, love them or loathe them, I don't think anyone would attempt to 'cure' a gay person unless that person wanted to be cured.
You must not know any conservative religious parents of gay minors.

I made this post over on the Homosexuality and Christianity thread when this one was closed down. The state of California is considering a bill that would outlaw gay conversion therapy for minors and require a specific disclaimer be provided to adult patients. Given the way religious conservatives in that state are reacting, there's obviously a good number of them who'd like to inflict a "cure" on their kids (or sell it to other people's kids), regardless of whether it works and regardless of whether the kid is willing.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mark Betts:
quote:
"Anyone"? You think not? You haven't heard of teenagers being sent to gay-cure boot camps?

ETA: Cross posted with Croesos.

[ 21. May 2012, 19:48: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
Mark Betts:
quote:
"Anyone"? You think not? You haven't heard of teenagers being sent to gay-cure boot camps?

Maybe it's because I'm from across the pond!

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
quote:
Mark Betts:
quote:

Right, the country that drove Alan Turing to suicide for being gay. What's amazing is the way the criminalization of homosexuality has just fallen down the memory hole (a reference originating on your side of the Pond) along with electroshock and other attrocities despite being enforced within living memory.

Criminal penalties for homosexual acts are of a piece with gay conversion therapy. They're both premised on the idea that homosexuality is essentially a choice, so if you just change around the incentives enough a gay person will simply "choose" to straighten out. The only thing that's changed is the latitude society is willing to extend to these quacks and zealots, not their eagerness.

--------------------

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
quote:
quote:
Mark Betts:
quote:

Right, the country that drove Alan Turing to suicide for being gay. What's amazing is the way the criminalization of homosexuality has just fallen down the memory hole (a reference originating on your side of the Pond) along with electroshock and other attrocities despite being enforced within living memory.

Criminal penalties for homosexual acts are of a piece with gay conversion therapy. They're both premised on the idea that homosexuality is essentially a choice, so if you just change around the incentives enough a gay person will simply "choose" to straighten out. The only thing that's changed is the latitude society is willing to extend to these quacks and zealots, not their eagerness.

For heaven's sake mate, you make it sound like it's all my fault!

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016