homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Dead Horses   » Yet more crappy choruses, wonky worship-songs and horrible hymns (Page 12)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Yet more crappy choruses, wonky worship-songs and horrible hymns
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bib:
You don't seriously mean that they played that abomination in church! And have you read the comments from people on the Youtube page? Oh dear, I despair for the future of music. I think if they played that at my church I wouldn't be taking my mat and walking. I'd take my bat and ball and run far away.

To be fair, the Youtube video was performance stylistically. This church used just the usual amplified acoustic guitar, playing it more of a folk/ballad style than the Youtube version.

The words bug me, but one friend called it "beautiful." That's why I wondered if I was mistakenly understanding the song. But I've also noticed a lot of people don't really listen to the words of a song they sing. Toss in a few nice sounding phrases they'll like it even of there's no overall sense to it.

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:
quote:
Originally posted by bib:
You don't seriously mean that they played that abomination in church! And have you read the comments from people on the Youtube page? Oh dear, I despair for the future of music. I think if they played that at my church I wouldn't be taking my mat and walking. I'd take my bat and ball and run far away.

To be fair, the Youtube video was performance stylistically. This church used just the usual amplified acoustic guitar, playing it more of a folk/ballad style than the Youtube version.

The words bug me, but one friend called it "beautiful." That's why I wondered if I was mistakenly understanding the song. But I've also noticed a lot of people don't really listen to the words of a song they sing. Toss in a few nice sounding phrases they'll like it even of there's no overall sense to it.

I find it very hard not to consider such people to be bleedin' cretins. But that's just me.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spot on, Karl.

Its the appalling 'lyrics' that depress more than anything else - and so much modern 'worship music' is just vacuous.

Compare and contrast the words of This is the Day the Lord has made by Isaac Watts with Thank you Lord for this new day.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Spot on, Karl.

Its the appalling 'lyrics' that depress more than anything else - and so much modern 'worship music' is just vacuous.

Compare and contrast the words of This is the Day the Lord has made by Isaac Watts with Thank you Lord for this new day.

At least that latter is meant to be a children's song. Don't get me started on grown adults doing children's action songs with the actions, often whilst the children themselves look on in embarrassment...

[ 03. December 2014, 11:29: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend and I came to the conclusion that a number of worship songs are designed (possibly unconsciously) to work like mantras, and bypass the part of the mind which would be engaged with more traditional hymns. Like Hare Krishna. Only less honest about it.
He was working on a parody at the time. Only it failed because it had too many ideas in it.

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
A friend and I came to the conclusion that a number of worship songs are designed (possibly unconsciously) to work like mantras, and bypass the part of the mind which would be engaged with more traditional hymns. Like Hare Krishna. Only less honest about it.
He was working on a parody at the time. Only it failed because it had too many ideas in it.

I did a parody or three in my time. The problem is they tend to be either completely silly, or fall foul of Poe's Law.

I was unreasonably pleased with Boring is the song

Boring is the song x4
Repetitive is the song x4
Tiresome is the song x4

...and so on. I also presume most people of a certain vintage are familiar with This is yet another boring Kendrick song

Then there was I can play too many chords now; they're going to throw me out of the worship group which went IIRC to a Kendrick tune.

[ 03. December 2014, 12:49: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------

Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now, as a Travelling Wilburies style listen along whilst you're cooking, as a description of the experiences of the person singing the song, the first 3 minutes of that "Take your mat up and walk" is not too bad. Better that than the latest sub-Coldplay / U2 ooh look at my new guitar FX cobblers from Mr Redman.

But as a congregational hymn - awful! Just no.

I used to write parodies too. A girl has to keep busy when she's stuck behind the piano during a long service. I wrote a nice one about biscuits once. And another that is far too filthy to describe. Frankly, if your actual song contains the words "Your love is surprising, I can feel it rising", the parody writer's job is already half done.

Posts: 801 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Jemima the 9th:
Now, as a Travelling Wilburies style listen along whilst you're cooking, as a description of the experiences of the person singing the song, the first 3 minutes of that "Take your mat up and walk" is not too bad. Better that than the latest sub-Coldplay / U2 ooh look at my new guitar FX cobblers from Mr Redman.

But as a congregational hymn - awful! Just no.

I used to write parodies too. A girl has to keep busy when she's stuck behind the piano during a long service. I wrote a nice one about biscuits once. And another that is far too filthy to describe. Frankly, if your actual song contains the words "Your love is surprising, I can feel it rising", the parody writer's job is already half done.

It's hard to beat "Jesus take me as I am/I can come no other way" or "Lord you put a tongue in my mouth" really, isn't it?

Some of us at our church recently voted "Isn't he beautiful" not only the worst worship song of all time, but the worst song of any kind of all time. We did give it some more fitting words:

Cootchie-coo, little God
Little God, cootchie-coo
Ain't he sweet?
Baby God?
Cootchie-coo?

[ 03. December 2014, 13:12: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------

Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd forgotten about "Isn't he beautiful?" [Projectile] I think your congregation's words are a huge improvement! [Big Grin]
And what about "When I feel the touch of your hand upon my knee"?

Whilst looking through a box of music in the loft the other day, I came across "Behold his love, I stand amazed". Snigger.

Eta: Even re-reading that made me snigger all over again. I fear there may be no hope for me.

[ 03. December 2014, 13:37: Message edited by: Jemima the 9th ]

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thank God daily for the English Hymnal and a PCC that refuses to 'move with the times' [Angel]

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
I thank God daily for the English Hymnal and a PCC that refuses to 'move with the times' [Angel]

There's moving, and there's changing. And there's expanding.

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
I'd forgotten about "Isn't he beautiful?" [Projectile] I think your congregation's words are a huge improvement! [Big Grin]

It's life, not knee, isn't it? Surely? Please?

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

Don't worry, we go far beyond the EH (or NEH) but the rule for the introduction of all new material is that it is (a) theologically sound; (b) literate; (c) of musical worth; and (d) it is within the range of possibility that we can do it properly.

So, we can on occasion do Sing of the Lord's goodness because we can get it to move the way it should - which, bearing in mind it is almost a direct rip-off from Dave Brubeck's Take Five, isn't as easy as people think. We can also do complex bits of Bach and Haydn because yours truly is prepared to spend hours making sure the accompaniment is right.

We don't do Thank you, Lord, for this new day because it doesn't fulfil the criteria at (b) and (c).

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wish that there were more churches that are prepared to range so widely! [Smile]
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:

It is life. But since a friend of mine told me that she and her husband always sing "knee" that's all I can think of when I hear it. Which, thankfully, is not too often, these days.
Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

quote:
<snip> but the rule for the introduction of all new material is that it is (a) theologically sound; (b) literate; (c) of musical worth; and (d) it is within the range of possibility that we can do it properly.
<snip>

This is a fab rule, and I wish to introduce it round our way. Trouble is, it would reduce the sound levels to almost Quaker-like quiet.
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
we can on occasion do Sing of the Lord's goodness because we can get it to move the way it should - which, bearing in mind it is almost a direct rip-off from Dave Brubeck's Take Five, isn't as easy as people think.

Yes! It's a great hymn, but only if you have someone who can do the whole Dave Brubeck thing.

Our musical director is a jazz pianist and I would really love to be able to get him to do this. Some time soon....

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:

It is life. But since a friend of mine told me that she and her husband always sing "knee" that's all I can think of when I hear it. Which, thankfully, is not too often, these days.
'Knee' shows a lack of ambition. You need a word that rhymes with touch. Now whatever could that be...?

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:
quote:
we can on occasion do Sing of the Lord's goodness because we can get it to move the way it should - which, bearing in mind it is almost a direct rip-off from Dave Brubeck's Take Five, isn't as easy as people think.

Yes! It's a great hymn, but only if you have someone who can do the whole Dave Brubeck thing.

Our musical director is a jazz pianist and I would really love to be able to get him to do this. Some time soon....

The occasional appearance of this one is the sole reason to tolerate the presence of The Band - really an orchestral group - for the informal non-Eucharistic services. It appeared for Harvest, when I had to parade as a Guide leader, along with some real horrors. Very good musical director on the piano, orchestral level violinists (one plays folk for local dances too) and flautist, arrangement from musical director to give parts to everyone else.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:
quote:

Don't forget the drummer too.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

There's a beat-box track available...

There's also the not very good rip-off of Havah nagilah that is almost guaranteed to sound dire unless (a) sung at roughly twice the speed of most churches, and (b) gets faster each verse - basically it needs to acknowledge the Klezmer music heritage I think Mr Ke****ck may have had in mind (or not).

I can tell you that played on the organ at a steady slow march tempo it lacks that certain something [Ultra confused]

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There's also the not very good rip-off of Havah nagilah

Havah nagilah
Have two nagilahs
Have three nagilahs
They're very small
Hey!

[Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There's also the not very good rip-off of Havah nagilah that is almost guaranteed to sound dire unless (a) sung at roughly twice the speed of most churches, and (b) gets faster each verse - basically it needs to acknowledge the Klezmer music heritage I think Mr Ke****ck may have had in mind (or not).

Ugh! Anything Klezmer just pollutes my ears. Christian faux-Klezmer is an abomination upon an abomination. (Hey!)

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You shall go out with joy? here sung at pathetically boring church pace. There's a better version here.

We sang that a capella at toddler church when I led it, getting faster and faster.

(There are a few things, like Colours of the Day which I reckon are suitable for toddlers, and am most unimpressed if I have to sing them in church.)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anything that involves Hebrew words .... just posing.

Anything with la la la or oi! in it

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

Frankly, Curiosity killed both of those versions were grisly, just a question of which one finds the more offensive: that which sounds as if sung by the Mickey Mouse Club or the version sung by a single Soccer Mom. Mehh [Projectile]

--------------------

MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have just returned home having had to sing "Shine, Jesus, shine" [Eek!]
I have nothing more to say......

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

I'd say that calls for a stiff drink [Snigger]

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shine Jesus Shine is ONLY acceptable when half-cut at Greenbelt's Beer & Hymns.

I was horrified to see it in an RC hymn book - what's the RC equivalent of the NEH, and how can I get it to those poor churches??

*happy singer of Wake, O Wake! With Tidings Thrilling today*

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I went to an Advent service last week, and after noting the complete rewrite of Hills of the North so it wasn't patronisingly imperial (I missed the coral caves, though), realised with horror that I simply could not sing verse 2 of Lo, He comes with clouds descending. (This wasn't as noticeable as when I stopped singing during "In Christ Alone, because my singing voice had gone missing.)

Every eye shall now behold Him
Robed in dreadful majesty;
Those who set at naught and sold Him,
Pierced and nailed Him to the tree,
Deeply wailing, deeply wailing, deeply wailing,
Shall the true Messiah see.

But we aren't like that, children, are we? Now we can see what happens to the nasty people, can't we, and sing happily about it to that lovely tune.

While collecting that verse from the internet I find that at least one other verse, similarly smug about judgement of others, has never been in any hymnbook I have sung this hymn from.

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

But we aren't like that, children, are we? Now we can see what happens to the nasty people, can't we, and sing happily about it to that lovely tune.

Equally, we happily trill along in "Messiah" to "All we like sheep have gone astray" - as Sir Thomas Beecham allegedly said to his choir during rehearsal, "Might we please have a little more regret and a little less satisfaction?"

BTW the words to "Lo, he comes" are, I think, Wesley's own. I agree that they may seem a little bit smug and self-righteous, although I suspect that Wesley's intention was for them to serve as a warning to his singers. On the other hand, dare we omit them if the reason for doing so is because we dislike the idea of divine judgement?

[ 08. December 2014, 09:52: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I won't be able to sing Lo He Comes again with a straight face after a friend pointed out Jesus' 'dazzling body'.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
quote:

Equally, we happily trill along in "Messiah" to "All we like sheep have gone astray" - as Sir Thomas Beecham allegedly said to his choir during rehearsal, "Might we please have a little more regret and a little less satisfaction?"

BTW the words to "Lo, he comes" are, I think, Wesley's own. I agree that they may seem a little bit smug and self-righteous, although I suspect that Wesley's intention was for them to serve as a warning to his singers. On the other hand, dare we omit them if the reason for doing so is because we dislike the idea of divine judgement?

K-v-n M-yh-w substitutes 'we' for 'those' in this verse. Unlike some of his substitutions it doesn't bugger up the sense, grammar, or scansion, and so if you find 'those' unacceptable you could use it instead.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

To change the subject ... does anyone else love the Scottish paraphrase "Behold, the mountain of the Lord" to the great tune "Glasdgow"?

It's fine until you get to the verse:

No longer hosts encountering hosts,
Their millions slain deplore;
They hang the trumpets in the hall
And study war no more.

This always makes me think of someone coming in from work, hanging up their bugle on the hat-stand, and going to make themself a nice cup of tea.

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I like the substitution of "we".

The paraphrase. It used to make me think of those displays in great houses of all the paraphernalia of war in circles on the walls. Not as good as ploughshares and pruning hooks, of course.
[tangent] In the Iliad, Odysseus offers his fellow bronze age warriors a chunk of iron as a prize in games, specifically for forging into ploughshares. Weapons not mentioned. [/tangent]

[ 09. December 2014, 10:34: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Metapelagius
Shipmate
# 9453

- Posted      Profile for Metapelagius   Email Metapelagius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
To change the subject ... does anyone else love the Scottish paraphrase "Behold, the mountain of the Lord" to the great tune "Glasdgow"?

It's fine until you get to the verse:

No longer hosts encountering hosts,
Their millions slain deplore;
They hang the trumpets in the hall
And study war no more.

This always makes me think of someone coming in from work, hanging up their bugle on the hat-stand, and going to make themself a nice cup of tea.

Yes, it is a staple of Remembrance Sunday chez nous; it has a rousing tune as you say, but I can't say that it has ever made me think of hat-stands. It looks as if you know a slightly differing version (unless you are quoting from memory and inflating the casualty count ...)

No longer hosts encount'ring hosts,
shall crowds of slain deplore;
they hang the trumpet in the hall
and study war no more.

CH4 has done its damnedest, but this at least has been left unscathed, so that isn't the source of your version. I spent a few irritable moments on Sunday morning wondering quite what its editors could have had in mind when the devised their 'improvements' on Moultrie's rendition of Let all mortal flesh [Roll Eyes]

A while back the panellists on the BBC's Quote Unquote programme were asked to identify the source of this very verse. None could ...

--------------------
Rec a archaw e nim naccer.
y rof a duv. dagnouet.
Am bo forth. y porth riet.
Crist ny buv e trist yth orsset.

Posts: 1032 | From: Hereabouts | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I went to an Advent service last week, and after noting the complete rewrite of Hills of the North so it wasn't patronisingly imperial (I missed the coral caves, though), realised with horror that I simply could not sing verse 2 of Lo, He comes with clouds descending. (This wasn't as noticeable as when I stopped singing during "In Christ Alone, because my singing voice had gone missing.)

While collecting that verse from the internet I find that at least one other verse, similarly smug about judgement of others, has never been in any hymnbook I have sung this hymn from.

I take it, therefore, that you have ripped the offending pages out of your Bible then?

quote:
"Look, he is coming with the clouds," and "every eye will see him, even those who pierced him"; and all peoples on earth "will mourn because of him." So shall it be! Amen.

Revelation 1 v 7

And also:

quote:
"And I will pour out on the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem a spirit of grace and supplication. They will look on me, the one they have pierced, and they will mourn for him as one mourns for an only child, and grieve bitterly for him as one grieves for a firstborn son.

Zecharaiah 12 v 10

And not to mention the Messiah's own endorsement:

quote:
"Then will appear the sign of the Son of Man in heaven. And then all the peoples of the earth will mourn when they see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven, with power and great glory.

Matthew 24 v 30

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The trouble is that, whilst that verse is scriptural, most people see it as having a go at the Jews - all Jews for all time.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

Look people, older hymns are poetry.

Now, you can look at many older poems and find something that doesn't chime with modern usage.

Take Wordsworth's Daffodils for example:
Nowadays we wouldn't expect to describe a large swathe of growing flowers as a 'crowd'.

Further on, it is unikely that anyone would write A poet could not but be gay, In such a jocund company; - and I'm not only referring to the fact that the word 'jocund' has largely fallen into disuse.

So: why the rush to alter hymns but we leave unmolested other poems which aren't sung to music in a church?

I'd suggest there are many, many things we would all better spend our time and energy on than worrying about the words of sung poems.

--------------------

ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Look people, older hymns are poetry.

Now, you can look at many older poems and find something that doesn't chime with modern usage.

Take Wordsworth's Daffodils for example:
Nowadays we wouldn't expect to describe a large swathe of growing flowers as a 'crowd'.

Further on, it is unikely that anyone would write A poet could not but be gay, In such a jocund company; - and I'm not only referring to the fact that the word 'jocund' has largely fallen into disuse.

So: why the rush to alter hymns but we leave unmolested other poems which aren't sung to music in a church?

I'd suggest there are many, many things we would all better spend our time and energy on than worrying about the words of sung poems.

So very, very, very much this. Hymns are poetry, not doctrinal statements. Worry about doctrinal statements when they are made.

Current liturgy, including hymns, is utterly bedevilled, and I use the word literally, by the refusal of those who meddle with it to respect the differences between genres.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And what is wrong, pray tell, with the Jewish people realising when Jesus returns, that he was the Messiah all along and that their leaders had indeed been wrong and misguided when they persuaded the Romans to crucify him?

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:
And what is wrong, pray tell, with the Jewish people realising when Jesus returns, that he was the Messiah all along and that their leaders had indeed been wrong and misguided when they persuaded the Romans to crucify him?

Presume you mean to be funny and ironical with that. If not, I Don't Know Whether To Kill Myself Or Go Bowling. Just like we were when we took the tune of Mine Eyes Have Seen the Glory and butchered it even worse in than our previously inappropriate summer camp song:

Jesus put some money in the Bank of Montreal,
Jesus put some money in the Bank of Montreal,
Jesus put some money in the Bank of Montreal
Jesus saves because he's a Jew

The parody goes on to rhyme Jew with screw, the massive inappropriateness of which I shall spare you, and go bowling just now.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, found a Jesus-is-my-boyfriend song that is new to me:

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/almost/yourloveisextravagant.html

come to think of it, it would be better if it had remained unknown to me...

I mean, what?

quote:
Your love is extravagant
Your friendship is so intimate
I find I'm moving to the rhythms of your grace
Your frequency is intoxicating, in our secret place

That's just not right.

[ 19. December 2014, 05:13: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That is so erotic, verging on pornographic! You'd almost expect the vice squad to come rushing into church if we sang that.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
The trouble is that, whilst that verse is scriptural, most people see it as having a go at the Jews - all Jews for all time.

It wouldn't feature on "most" people's radar. For those who thought about it, none (apart from a few UKIP supremacists) would read it in the way you describe. Perhaps your interpretation says more about you than anything else
Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

I think that's just a little bit unfair. I remember working with a Methodist colleague at Easter years ago, most certainly nothing like a Kipper or a Zionist, who was very, very worried that the words of our Maundy Thursday service might appear in any way to be anti-Semitic.

I think it may say something about one's theological background rather than one's political beliefs.

Laurelin
Shipmate
# 17211

- Posted      Profile for Laurelin   Email Laurelin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:

Found it on YouTube. Sung by Casting Crowns, and I find the melody pleasant. [Smile]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DqlLAVm0cg

But the lyrics ... oh my goodness me. [Razz]

quote:
Your love is extravagant
I find I'm moving to the rhythms of your grace Your frequency is intoxicating, in our secret place

That's just not right.

[Killing me]

Actually, it seems to be 'your fragrance is intoxicating, in our secret place.'

Which is just as suggestive. Oh dear. [Devil]

[ 19. December 2014, 10:07: Message edited by: Laurelin ]

--------------------
"I fear that to me Siamese cats belong to the fauna of Mordor." J.R.R. Tolkien

Posts: 545 | From: The Shire | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

I sometimes think these lyric writers could do with going on a poetry writing course to learn what makes poetry and what doesn't.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
quote:
Originally posted by leo:

It wouldn't feature on "most" people's radar. For those who thought about it, none (apart from a few UKIP supremacists) would read it in the way you describe. Perhaps your interpretation says more about you than anything else
Not so. Have you read accounts of Jews hiding to save their lives because of the way these lyrics are interpeted?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:

come to think of it, it would be better if it had remained unknown to me...

I mean, what?

quote:
Your love is extravagant
I find I'm moving to the rhythms of your grace
Your frequency is intoxicating, in our secret place

That's just not right.
I'm hoping the Church School children don't sing this with accompanying actions.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016