homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Dead Horses   » Yet more crappy choruses, wonky worship-songs and horrible hymns (Page 20)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Yet more crappy choruses, wonky worship-songs and horrible hymns
Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure that not liking hip hop (even all of it) necessarily means that one has somehow bought into cultural racism. And I don't agree that an art form which has brought something cultural to the world "can't be inherently bad" because "inherently bad" is so hard to describe when it comes to something as subjective as music. I'm not really sure what inherently bad means in that context. I don't like most 20th century modern classical music, even though it is, so people more learned would say, brought culturally Good Things to the development of music.

I hope that I appreciate reasonably well (for a middle aged, middle class white woman) the cultural good things that rap & hip hop have brought to music. And I do love a little bit of Public Enemy. But that's as far as it goes for me. I like even less the sort of super-smooth bump n grind r'n'b soul that was superpopular when I was younger. I really don't like it. It's not some culturally superior important white music thing - I find it overly sexual, altogether a bit shit in its treatment of women, and very dull indeed to listen to.

Posts: 801 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
hosting

If it's not being played in church, it doesn't belong here. Please start a new thread in Purgatory for discussing what people think of hip hop etc.

thanks,
Louise
DH Host
hosting off

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Truman White
Shipmate
# 17290

- Posted      Profile for Truman White         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:

We none of us live on a high-octane cloud of spiritual transcendence 24/7.

Yup - all need a few hours sleep...
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have been asked to sing the hymn 'I sing a song of the saints of God' for All Saints Day, but all in the choir doubled up in mirth and incredulity at the line "and one was a doctor, and one was a queen and one was a shepherdess on the green". I guess when it was written the word meanings were quite different. I dread to think what will eventuate in church tomorrow when the lines are reached in the singing. [Killing me]

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't forget to check out the author's name ...
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If any of you are interested there is an excellent article in the latest edition of The Catholic Herald about music in the RC church with the writer suggesting that lousy music may be one of the reasons why the pews are emptying.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Egeria
Shipmate
# 4517

- Posted      Profile for Egeria     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks to L'organist for that reference. I read it rather quickly (on afternoon break at work). But the author is mistaken in thinking Bad Music is just a Catholic problem--maybe a bigger problem there because of the size of the Church. But the stuff he describes--awful "folk" music, guitar strumming, sentimental lyrics and crap music (hi there Marty Haugen, this is to your address)--is mainly what drove me out of the Lutheran church where I'd been a member for twelve years. And we had influential parishioners who campaigned against Bach and Buxtehude!

Where did this pernicious claim that one composition is as good as any other originate? As Duke Ellington said, there's good music and there's bad music and you can tell the difference by listening. [Overused]

--------------------
"Sound bodies lined / with a sound mind / do here pursue with might / grace, honor, praise, delight."--Rabelais

Posts: 314 | From: Berkeley, CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very belated apologies to Louise for the detour.

Back on track: Some bizarre thing this Sunday "God's love is big
God's love is great
God's love is fab
And he's my mate". [Help]

Posts: 801 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a friend who likes to make spoof worship songs. None of his are as bad as that.
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd make a pretty substantial bet that the music for it is as horrendous as the words.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have sung it. However, it was a Holiday Bible Club song and those are always the pits. I think their real role is to make the leaders look so naff that the kids laugh and then the leaders can pretend the kids are enjoying themselves.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
If any of you are interested there is an excellent article in the latest edition of The Catholic Herald about music in the RC church with the writer suggesting that lousy music may be one of the reasons why the pews are emptying.

But most growing churches use this music too.

The problem is not the music but that churches are allowing guitarists who can barely string three chords together, or even tune their instruments, and have no experience of playing in front of people to lead the worship.

I would say that it is badly played music rather than the music itself that is at fault.

Psalm 33:3 "Playing skilfully on an instrument of music" springs to mind. [my bold].

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quite frankly, unless the music is absolutely terrible, IME it's almost never the music that drives people out of church.

In a small minority of cases it may cause someone to opt to attend a different church, but not to leave altogether. Saying otherwise seems to me to be blame-shifting away from a whole combination of things of which the music is only a (usually) small part: preaching, teaching, pastoral care, sense of fellowship and acceptance, love, community etc.

People will tolerate all kinds of music they don't like, or is low rent, if the basic church is good and effective.

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
posted by Snags
quote:
In a small minority of cases it may cause someone to opt to attend a different church, but not to leave altogether. Saying otherwise seems to me to be blame-shifting away from a whole combination of things of which the music is only a (usually) small part: preaching, teaching, pastoral care, sense of fellowship and acceptance, love, community etc.
Not my experience at all - in any case, you're talking about people who already come, while ignoring that fact that many who don't attend are actively discouraged/ put off by the lousy music. And I mean that in every sense: doggerel words (frequently theologically illiterate too), dire music, less-than-competent performers (sometimes too a 'Cantor' with a bucket load of self-belief and nil talent), etc, etc, etc.

What is worse is that in many areas there have been not only thriving choirs but churches that have been a beacon of musical excellence which have been systematically destroyed in the name of some spurious 'relevance' by clergy with little, if any, knowledge of either music or poetry, performance or quality. Frankly, if a cultural history of the late 20th century were to be written the Church - of England and Rome - would be up there as one of the greatest perpetrators of cultural vandalism.

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:

But most growing churches use this music too.

The problem is not the music but that churches are allowing guitarists who can barely string three chords together, or even tune their instruments, and have no experience of playing in front of people to lead the worship.

The problem with this line of argument is that the skill requirement doesn't scale in the same way. Modern genres end up requiring more musical accompaniment (as they move away from common meter) and end up mandating 'leading' of a more direct kind (due to the rhythmic shifts and copious use of melisma). In which case a the gap between a smaller and larger congregation is likely to be even more pronounced than it was previously.
Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In many areas there have been not only thriving choirs but churches that have been a beacon of musical excellence which have been systematically destroyed in the name of some spurious 'relevance' by clergy with little, if any, knowledge of either music or poetry, performance or quality.

It surprises me to hear that if a church is 'thriving' then the minister doesn't just leave things well alone. Why fix what's not broken? Just to keep up with the charismatic Joneses down the road?
Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Snags
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
L'organist:
quote:

Not my experience at all - in any case, you're talking about people who already come, while ignoring that fact that many who don't attend are actively discouraged/ put off by the lousy music.

Mileage obviously varies, but of all the very many reasons I have been given for people not wishing to attend church, lousy music has never come up.

Mostly it's because church is irrelevant, they don't believe, it's boring, they don't feel comfortable, they have no touching point, they perceive no need etc. Not "well, I'm really interested in God and Jesus and faith, and I love hearing a good preach and meeting with people, but the music's a bit cheesy so it's game over for me, I'm afraid".

I'll accept that it could well be a contributing factor, but I very much doubt it's the overriding one for most folk.

--------------------

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
[/b]

It surprises me to hear that if a church is 'thriving' then the minister doesn't just leave things well alone. Why fix what's not broken? Just to keep up with the charismatic Joneses down the road? [/QUOTE]

I think L'Organist is right, it can and does happen ... but usually there are a combination of circumstances, not just ministerial whim. The powers-that-be in the CofE (and Church in Wales too, judging by L'Organist's comments) are so desperate to get bums on seats that they think that by dumbing things down they'll attract more people across the threshold.

Here aboard Ship, Chorister is someone who has lived through 'worship wars' in her previous parish ... when a new incumbent came in and trying to spice everything up and make it more charismatic ...

I've also met charismatic clergy who have gone into a medieval parish church like a bull in a china shop and tried to turn it into Holy Trinity Brompton - regardless of the wishes of the congregation. I know one such who is no longer in the CofE but in some whacky, loopy-doopy outfit that I'd have thought strange even in my more full-on restorationist house-church days ...

L'Organist will correct me if I'm wrong, but I get the impression I get is the barging in and trying to inculcate my own views/churchmanship thing isn't as common as it once was ...

I can also give examples of the opposite tendency, with Anglo-Catholic, high as kite clergy trying to drag low/MoTR parishes higher up the candle ... and meeting similar opposition/disapproval.

I've been accused of cultural snobbery here aboard Ship a few times - but I think this issue goes deeper than that - it's about having a lack of respect for other people's positions/viewpoints and trying to impose one's own whether they like it or not.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And yes, I think Snags is right, the music is only one of a range of factors that puts people off church - or rather, doesn't attract them in the first place.

The reality is that there's no pleasing everyone. A devout Anglican I worked with once who attended a relatively thriving parish church in a former Yorkshire mill town told me that none of her relatives went because they didn't like to 'share the peace' ... the shaking hands with strangers thing was too much for them.

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

We've had a case of a clergy person moving into a medium-sized parish near here and ridding themselves of organist, choir, the only person in the music group with any talent, plus two out of three Readers in under 3 years.

Colateral damage - in the shape of those who were sacked/alienated being related to people with other jobs in the parish - has been that there is now no Sunday School, creche or youth club. The informal toddler group is still hanging in with the help of the one remaining Reader but the PP has them in their sights as well.

Of the musicians, all have found a welcome at other places within a reasonable distance (yes, some in my own choir); one of the sacked Readers is now number 2 in the Cathedral's chaplaincy team, the triumvirate who headed up creche, SS and youth group have been welcomed as a team by a neighbouring parish (in which one of them already lived). The outlook for the toddler group isn't looking rosy because the PP refuses to advertise that it exists and as the children get to school age they don't go.

The bishop is officially 'concerned' but the PP immediately claimed to be stressed when the damage was brought up and took 3 months off as sick.

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Vicars with all this energy to meddle ought to be sent to one of the many failing CofE congregations that need re-vitalising, not to comfortable churches with excellent choirs.
Snags
# 15351

Eek, that does sound somewhat grim.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Vicars with all this energy to meddle ought to be sent to one of the many failing CofE congregations that need re-vitalising, not to comfortable churches with excellent choirs.

[Overused]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

posted by Svitlana 2
quote:
Ah, but the incumbent in question gave as their rationale for the wholesale blood-letting that the parish needed 'spiritual renewal' and so, after a fallow 6 months, launched a half-arsed version of the Alpha Course but without the catering. I'm reliably informed it hasn't been a huge success. (Meanwhile my spies at Diocesan House tell me that after 3 years their former parish is starting to show signs of renewed life, they having done much the same thing there.)

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

Oh, I don't doubt that the ventures you describe were justified as necessary by those in charge. (Although running an Alpha course surely doesn't mean you have to disband the choir??)

The cynic in me imagines that some of these ministers want to embark on a grand mission for the church, but want to pursue it in as comfortable an environment as possible. I mean, who wants to have to inconvenience themselves (and their families) in a parish/circuit/congregation that's seriously struggling?

I should think the majority of CofE churches are in need of 'spiritual renewal'. The same could be said for most congregations in most denominations in the country. The question is which churches (or parishes) are picked out for special attention, and why.

ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
We've had a case of a clergy person moving into a medium-sized parish near here and ridding themselves of organist, choir, the only person in the music group with any talent, plus two out of three Readers in under 3 years.

Colateral damage - in the shape of those who were sacked/alienated being related to people with other jobs in the parish - has been that there is now no Sunday School, creche or youth club. The informal toddler group is still hanging in with the help of the one remaining Reader but the PP has them in their sights as well.

Of the musicians, all have found a welcome at other places within a reasonable distance (yes, some in my own choir); one of the sacked Readers is now number 2 in the Cathedral's chaplaincy team, the triumvirate who headed up creche, SS and youth group have been welcomed as a team by a neighbouring parish (in which one of them already lived). The outlook for the toddler group isn't looking rosy because the PP refuses to advertise that it exists and as the children get to school age they don't go.

The bishop is officially 'concerned' but the PP immediately claimed to be stressed when the damage was brought up and took 3 months off as sick.

Granted this kind of thing happens in IME - but it is far from the only reason why there are issues and divisions in churches. It's fairly common, again in IME, for "music" to be a presenting and public issue when the real concerns are somewhat under the surface.

Yes there are Vicars, Ministers who railroad over the wishes of people. There are also people in churches who hold onto power like grim death and likewise manipulators and gossips behind the scenes who spread their poison and remain invisible. It soemtimes takes a crisis to reveal self interest and the church can be all the better for it if the issues of (perhaps) geneerations are finally addressed.

If it helps the discussion, I am the person who left the church because of the music and, no I wasn't trying to change anything (I wasn't in a position to). The music was pretty similar to the church we'd moved away from for work reasons.

A market town church with a choir that was just bad, dominated by cliques and people who wanted to run the whole show. Not very welcoming for a family new to the congregation.

[ 25. November 2015, 06:20: Message edited by: ExclamationMark ]

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've seen the "new clergy person determined to change things" - the interim guy was high church and that's how he does church, even demanding purchase of expensive ornate garments and banning any modern anthems as "concertizing the worship." But people knew they'd just have to wait a year or so. Attendance dropped but promptly resumed after the new "permanent" clergy arrived.

I've seen "kill the choir" happen by ignorance. The search committee announced ahey needed to offer more money to get the clergy person they wanted so the vestry fired the choir director and added his pay to the new clergy package. We choir members were told via email that we should continue being the choir with no director - not just somehow for a week or two but apparently permanently. The director was given 2 days notice.

Most choir members dropped out of choir in protest of the brutality of such a sudden firing when there was no misconduct cause. Also, none of us felt competent to lead and certainly didn't want the work and the being on the hot seat for complaints about music.

Half of the members have not returned even though a competent (but reluctant) volunteer stepped up and did it for 2 years, and when she quit the vestry couldn't find another volunteer and hired a director.

I asked my piano teacher what would have been going on in the heads of the vestry that they would expect a choir used to depending on a highly trained leader to function with no leader. He said people commonly think music just happens. They sing in the shower, choirs sing in church, they think it's the same thing.

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

I think it was Tom Smail, the veteran Church of Scotland renewalist - and author of some pretty impressive books - who wrote that choirs and music can be the 'septic focii' for disagreements within congregations - and which bring other issues to the surface ...

As ExclamationMark says, it often isn't about the music per se, but the music acts as the public outlet/focus for long-standing grievances of one form or other ... whether justified or otherwise.

These things work both ways, there can certainly be domineering and even down-right abusive congregations just as there can be control-freak leaders/ministers.

As a general rule of thumb, on the ministerial side I think that the very nature of things means that those who throw their weight around musically speaking are most likely to come from either the evangelical end of the spectrum or the higher-end of things ... why? Because both these churchmanships/persuasions tend to have distinct musical styles/preferences which are sometimes taken by their proponents as some kind of indicator of spiritual life or progress.

So, for instance, I've heard our vicar say in response to a question as to whether the church website ought to have pictures of people raising their hands charismatic style in worship, 'Well, that's where we'd like people to be and that's what we'd be aiming at, but it's not right for everyone ...'

Which sounds accommodating but the sub-text there is that charismatic style worship is the ideal and something to aim for ...

Conversely, of course, those from a more sacramentalist background will often obsess about minor details of rubric and presentation ...

I don't know what can be done about that - you can't expect people - whether charismatic or Anglo-Catholic (or both [Biased] ) to readily abandon styles of worship they believe to be important.

It'd be easy to say that the charismatic types should only go to charismatic parishes and the more sacramental types to higher-church parishes but life isn't as clear-cut as that - and in the CofE things are even messier ... [Big Grin]

There'll be parallel issues in Baptist and other Free Churches too.

I know plenty of evangelical clergy who have started out all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, trying to run Alpha courses in traditional rural parishes and the like - only to find that it doesn't work.

I'm sure there are plenty of nose-bleed high Anglican clergy who have similarly tried to drag MoTR or low-church parishes up the candle and given it up as a bad job.

What I do find odd is when there are supposed to be different types of service in the same parish and the incumbent does the same thing at each ... I kid you not - it does happen.

My brother visited a parish in South Wales where they had a Family Service with such jolly-japes as a three-legged race down the aisle to illustrate the sermon about relying on one another's support ...

Unwilling to join in with the 'little actions' and the puerile songs, he returned earlier the following Sunday for the apparently more traditional service - only to find ... guess what? The vicar pulled the same stunt there and they had the action songs and all the daft malarkey running up and down the aisles ...

[Roll Eyes]

The bloke was clearly out to impose a clap-hands here comes Charlie style on both services ...

[Disappointed]

--------------------

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
jolly-japes
You rang? [Devil]

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Posts: 3011 | From: A village of gardens | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

Seems a bit strange to have the same person lead two very different kinds of service. The leader is obviously going to like one better than the other. And the temptation will always be there to use the same material for each.

Still, I can imagine quite a few Methodist ministers getting away with organising a three-legged race during all-age worship at a 'traditional' Methodist church. The older people might squirm, but they know the score; this is the sort of thing that happens when the kids are around.

Snags
# 15351

I think that's where being a good leader/contributor comes in. If you can't see that the needs of the service/situation outweigh your own personal preferences you're in the wrong role. And if you're a one-trick pony, you should restrict yourself to occasions where that's the right trick [Smile]

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

I suppose it's a matter of necessity. Very few churches have enough of their own preachers or ministers to be able to insure that different weekly services can be led by different people.

From the Ship I also understand that CofE clergy are expected to be able to conduct worship in a different tradition from their own. I'm sure there are many advantages to this, but one disadvantage is surely that some of them risk finding themselves regularly uninspired, paid to go through the motions rather than engaging emotionally or spiritually with what the job requires of them. But I suppose that's a risk all clergy take anyway.

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All the more reason for having a relatively limited range of variation from a standard liturgical form, at least for the principal services. At least that way everybody knows what they're in for, and clergy are less likely to fall into the trap of thinking that what happens depends on them.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

But the CofE has become a broad church. Its historical liturgies and musical choices don't necessarily fit well with the diversity that has developed and may continue to develop.

I agree it might be easier for casual visitors if they knew what they were going to get in any given CofE church. But you could deal with that by simply putting more detail on church notice boards and on websites! Reducing diversity isn't the answer, IMO.

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the differenc between us is that I am one of those who sees churches, and perhaps specifically churches like the CofE, as institutions which are in a sense independent of the particular choices and views of those who attend their servcies at any given time, whereas AIUI you see churches as being to some extent expressions of worshippers' choices. I am not saying that either view is right or wrong, merely that our ecclesiology seems to be different.
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

My point about the three-legged race and similar jolly-japes (hi Jolly Japes, nice to see you! [Big Grin] ) in the all-age service is that this particular incumbent then proceeded to introduce similar stunts into the early, apparently more traditional service.

It didn't seem to occur to him that the whole point of an earlier more traditional style service was for the benefit of those who don't want to go to all-age services and be subjected to mind-rotting three-legged races and such like malarkey.

The idiot wanted to impose his own frivolous liturgical tastes onto everybody else, whether they liked it or not ...

I suspect I'm somewhere between Albertus and SvitlanaV2 on this one ...but you'd have to drag me kicking and screaming into an all-age service these days and although I was a card-carrying charismatic for many years it wouldn't worry me in the least if I never attended another charismatic service ever again ...

I probably wouldn't run screaming into the street, but I wouldn't be a happy bunny ...

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

Just as a tangent: why are things apparently aimed exclusively at small children billed as 'all age'? Why is it assumed that adults might get something out of them, when nobody assumes (perhaps rightly) that small children will get something out of, say, Choral Mattins? Is this just a lazy and/or stupid belief that inclusivity is easy and achieved by simply going for the lowest common denominator all the time, when actually achieving something that really does cast the net wide requires a great deal of skill and careful planning ?

[ 27. November 2015, 14:20: Message edited by: Albertus ]

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

I think both ends of the spectrum could be accused of wanting to 'reduce diversity'.

The charismatics want everyone to be like them.

So do many of the High Church people.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Yes, I think that's right, Albertus. 'All-age' is a synonym for infantile.

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

Albertus

Re your earlier post:

I can see how cathedrals and other historically significant - and well-funded - churches might feel obliged to maintain a specific way of being regardless of who attends or doesn't attend their services. In that sense, cathedral worship isn't personalised by those who participate in it. But I can't see how that would work for the majority of churches, perhaps even for the majority of CofE churches, today.

Speaking for myself, I currently attend CofE worship fully accepting that I have no influence over what happens there (i.e. during worship). But in order to belong in a proper sense I'd eventually have to attend a church where I did feel I could have a say.

[ 27. November 2015, 14:58: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But it shouldn't need to be. Truly skilled practitioners can offer something which "everyone can approach at their own level". But it's a rare gift to be able to do that!

Perhaps a more realistic compromise is a service where there is a "bit" for everyone, and the others are asked to quietly watch the sections that aren't directly "aimed" at them.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

I agree entirely, BT.
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

quote:
Albertus

Re your earlier post:

I can see how cathedrals and other historically significant - and well-funded - churches might feel obliged to maintain a specific way of being regardless of who attends or doesn't attend their services. In that sense, cathedral worship isn't personalised by those who participate in it. But I can't see how that would work for the majority of churches, perhaps even for the majority of CofE churches, today.

Speaking for myself, I currently attend CofE worship fully accepting that I have no influence over what happens there (i.e. during worship). But in order to belong in a proper sense I'd eventually have to attend a church where I did feel I could have a say.

Of course your worship has to be attuned to your people. But I believe it's also, in the CofE at least, about participating in the worship of the Church more widely. So you need a balance between these things, which IMO means a basic standard of practice, at least for principal services, with a certain but bounded degree of room for variation- Up, Down or indeed sideways.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Truly skilled practitioners can offer something which "everyone can approach at their own level". But it's a rare gift to be able to do that!

Perhaps a more realistic compromise is a service where there is a "bit" for everyone, and the others are asked to quietly watch the sections that aren't directly "aimed" at them.

I'd be interested to know how this would work. The problem these days, of course, is that people have short attention spans. 'Quietly' watching stuff that doesn't interest you isn't what happens in our culture. You might as well give people time out so they can check their phones!

I know of a church in my city that has worship via 'stations'. Different things happen in different parts of the building, all at the same time. The main sanctuary is where people start, and traditional worship continues there. Then these who want to can go off to do other things worshipfully in other rooms. I really must get to this church so I can see how it works, but the problem I can think of straight away is that it's likely to absorb a huge amount of manpower and resources.

Snags
# 15351

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Truly skilled practitioners can offer something which "everyone can approach at their own level". But it's a rare gift to be able to do that!

I'd be interested to know how this would work. The problem these days, of course, is that people have short attention spans. 'Quietly' watching stuff that doesn't interest you isn't what happens in our culture. You might as well give people time out so they can check their phones!

I know of a church in my city that has worship via 'stations'. Different things happen in different parts of the building, all at the same time. The main sanctuary is where people start, and traditional worship continues there. Then these who want to can go off to do other things worshipfully in other rooms. I really must get to this church so I can see how it works, but the problem I can think of straight away is that it's likely to absorb a huge amount of manpower and resources.

It works by having people who know what they're doing do it [Smile]

As others have said, true All Age Worship can be great, but is very difficult to do, and not many folk have the necessary gifting/skill-sets (or interest to develop them, perhaps). Also, I think it's fair to say that to some extent the potential for success is going to be modified by the wider tradition within which you sit. If you're in a tradition where the only "proper" service is one done to a very clear and strict pattern, including structure, forms of words etc. then it is and it is, and that's that in terms of content (although delivery can be widely different, I suspect).

If you come from a lower background where you need to include certain elements, but exactly how is open, you have more leeway to do something that can work for everyone, more or less. "All Age" doesn't have to be a synonym for "primary school", even if it's often much abused in that way.

--------------------

bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I also feel people have different needs during worship at different times in life's journey. I see myself as having gone through 4 stages. As a child I attended very traditional middle of the road Anglican services - I'm not sure there were any other kinds on offer. In my teens I embraced the more casual offering with music that was often more of a dance than a song- very much a product of the 60s. In my 20s and 30s, I struggled to get to church because of the demands of a young family and was often found leading/teaching Sunday School rather than going to church. Life was chaotic as I'm sure every parent can attest to. Now as a mature adult with no kids left at home and lots of grandchildren, I seek the more contemplative style of worship as is found in the Anglo Catholic parish I attend. I have a deep love of good music, particularly classics and relate to the quiet times for prayer and the silences offered. I find that I now loathe an extra busy church with lots of noise, pop music and little time to reflect. I'm happy for other churches to cater to the teenage style worship of my youth, just not my church thank you. It saddens me that many choose to create churches that are clones of ech other without recognising that people aren't all the same and have different needs, particularly as they age.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

quote:
Originally posted by bib:
It saddens me that many choose to create churches that are clones of each other without recognising that people aren't all the same and have different needs, particularly as they age.

Most British churches are more likely to be clones of each other in the sense of leaning towards meeting the needs of older attenders. This is because churchgoers here are generally quite a bit older than the wider population.

Complaints about the rash of bad worship music indicate to me that the writer lives in an area with a younger than average churchgoing demographic and a higher than average church attendance.

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

But perhaps, if at all, only marginally so. It only takes a determined minister/ music leader and a few people willing to go along with him/her to introduce a new style of music, for better or for worse.
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well maybe in Anglicans but it took three ministers in my home congregation to cut the number of hymns sung from five to four on a Sunday. The congregation simply waited for the minister to leave and returned the number to five. The third succeeded only because she changed the fifth hymn to a psalm (often read responsorially).

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

I'm tempted to ask if your "Notes for Visiting Preachers" included the rubric, "These notes are only a guide, please feel free to amend them as the Holy Spirit may lead" ... and what happened if someone took their advice and Changed Things?

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016