homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Dead Horses   » Yet more crappy choruses, wonky worship-songs and horrible hymns (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Yet more crappy choruses, wonky worship-songs and horrible hymns
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No no, not complaining, and point taken.
Posts: 6460 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mea culpa Tony. Point taken.

For the record: KM is a brilliant, innovative, creative, musical and literary genius whose contribution to the hymnody of the church in the UK is without parallel. Marie, Queen of Romania

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4720 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm... my experience is that HON and other KM products are nearly as bad at mangling words as some others I could mention, and a fairly competent young organist of my acquaintance regularly reached for HON in preference to certain other volumes.

Perhaps it is a matter of comparison. If you're used to A&M, then HON will appear dire. If, on the other hand, your point of comparison is Mission Praise and CH4, HON comes as a blessed relief.

Posts: 2858 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone else noticed just how well Let there be love shared among us fits to the chorus of Les Bicyclettes be Belsize ? So much so that I think the publishers for Les Reed (who wrote the song as sung by Englebert Humperdink) should be alerted since its more-or-less a straight steal.

--------------------

Posts: 4720 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alex wrote

quote:
Of course - you need a good bassist to carry "Lord I lift your name on high". The groove is what carries this one...
I _think_ I might have once heard a bass player use this for this one.

And the line 'really love your peaches, wanna shake your tree' might be dropped in as an allusion to song of songs...though there, I think, bunches of grapes are the methaphor-du-jour...

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...and (indignation building) - Enoch wrote

quote:
Only a few days ago, I encountered a badly mangled version of 'Be thou my vision'
In my sisters evo-charismatic-anglican church I heard this done...in 4/4 [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] so the lame-ass guitar band could play power chords all over it [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

I'd love to find a way to get 'Come down O love divine' squeezed into a service of theirs (after all, it's a powerful charismatic hymn about the Holy Spirit). But what'd they do to the 6-6-11 metre???

Yes, yes, 4/4, I know...

--------------------
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oi! The 4/4 version of "Be Thou my vision" can be incredibly effective when done with a bit of feel and sensitivity. You just watch your step there, Mr Mark In Manchester.

[Biased]

Anyway, what makes you think you can't drench a 3/4 song in power chords? [Snigger]

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1394 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

Well, 3/4 is just a slow 6/8, I guess...in which case these people have been making something of a career of it for some time.

(If, by some total freak accident of musical preference, you're unfamiliar...wait 'till the end of the intro).

I'd travel some distance for a 'time of praise and worship' in this particular style. Just what we need to speak to the yoof [Big Grin]

--------------------

Snags
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am not entirely unfamiliar [Smile]

I have been known to deliver "Give thanks to the Lord" in a shameless boogie-woogie style before when feeling Puckish ...

--------------------

Posts: 1394 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

I (and this shows how long it is since I played in a praise band) used to do 'seek ye first' a-la Housemartins 'Happy hour again'.

All of which is entirely relevant to the OP - such cultural syncretism now makes me wince.

Or is it I just no longer know who the praise band are taking off.

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mark_in_manchester:

quote:
Only a few days ago, I encountered a badly mangled version of 'Be thou my vision'
In my sisters evo-charismatic-anglican church I heard this done...in 4/4 [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] so the lame-ass guitar band could play power chords all over it [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

I'd love to find a way to get 'Come down O love divine' squeezed into a service of theirs (after all, it's a powerful charismatic hymn about the Holy Spirit). But what'd they do to the 6-6-11 metre???

Yes, yes, 4/4, I know...

Actually, Mark, I'm much less bothered with fiddling with tunes, as long as the end result doesn't get across the words altogether. It's a fairly recent idea to think each hymn should have its own tune and only that tune. That's why they have the numbers, 7,6,7,6,7,6 etc. What outrages me that a hymn book that claims to be respectable, and which commends itself for use, should think it knows best and presume dramatically to foul up a familiar, well known, well written and loved hymn.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7389 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's not a hymn book with a 4/4 version of Slane in it is there?

We should all pray St Patrick's Breastplate against such horrors!

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17718 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Alex wrote

quote:
Of course - you need a good bassist to carry "Lord I lift your name on high". The groove is what carries this one...
I _think_ I might have once heard a bass player use this for this one.

And the line 'really love your peaches, wanna shake your tree' might be dropped in as an allusion to song of songs...though there, I think, bunches of grapes are the methaphor-du-jour...

That would be the line...
Posts: 2138 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snags
# 15351

quote:
mark_in_manchester:
Or is it I just no longer know who the praise band are taking off.

You don't need to know: it'll be one of Coldplay, Snow Patrol or U2 [Smile]

quote:
here's not a hymn book with a 4/4 version of Slane in it is there?

Depends whether you count it as a hymn book, but it appears in a number of Spring Harvest books from 2000 onwards, billed as "Ancient Irish melody". Doubtless in lots of other places too.

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

quote:

It's common in traditional Celtic music to hear a tune as a march and rearrange it as a jig or hornpipe, whatever is needed. Nothing to see here, move along.
quote:

Yes, yes, 4/4, I know...

I've heard it done over a hip hop beat with a guy on record decks scratching. Not as bad as that sounds, really.

--------------------
Fearfully and wonderfully mad
Love the dinner, hate the din.
ن
blog

Posts: 8832 | From: Somewhere else | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sarah G
Shipmate
# 11669

- Posted      Profile for Sarah G     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alex Cockell:

Like this bassist?

Incidentally, I knew a bassist who adapted the bass line to “Summer Loving” for “Lord I lift your name on high”. You just adjust the tempo, play an extra verse line, and it fits the verse beautifully. First time he did this, there were a few 'come again?' looks, but people soon caught on.

Example

Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

- Posted      Profile for Garasu   Email Garasu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sarah G. said:
quote:
Like this bassist?
At 1:47 I lost the will to live...

--------------------
"Could I believe in the doctrine without believing in the deity?". - Modesitt, L. E., Jr., 1943- Imager.

Posts: 888 | From: Surrey Heath (England) | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Garasu:
Sarah G. said:
quote:
Like this bassist?
At 1:47 I lost the will to live...
It took you that long?

--------------------
Don't keep calm. Go change the world.

Posts: 9544 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by me on 14th October:
... Only a few days ago, I encountered a badly mangled version of 'Be thou my vision'. This provoked in me an 'I don't believe it' reaction. It was in a hymn book which is a notoriously bad offender. Pulping is too good for it. ...

I appreciate this threat seems to be 'resting' at the moment, but I've discovered it was in a book called 'Sing Glory'. Have any shipmates encountered it, or do any know anything about it?

Bearing in mind the comments in the thread on defamation, I hesitate to speak the name of who does seem to be the publisher.

As Christmas approaches, does anyone feel inspired to be rude about their less favourite carols? A baby would have to have divine fortitude not to burst into tears at yet another 'Away in a Manger'.

--------------------

Posts: 7389 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

Sorry 'threat' in the first line should be 'thread'.

--------------------

Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
Sorry 'threat' in the first line should be 'thread'.

Actually, given some of the horrors being discussed here, you perhaps had it right first time...

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1072 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by me on 14th October:
... Only a few days ago, I encountered a badly mangled version of 'Be thou my vision'. This provoked in me an 'I don't believe it' reaction. It was in a hymn book which is a notoriously bad offender. Pulping is too good for it. ...

I appreciate this threat seems to be 'resting' at the moment, but I've discovered it was in a book called 'Sing Glory'. Have any shipmates encountered it, or do any know anything about it?

Bearing in mind the comments in the thread on defamation, I hesitate to speak the name of who does seem to be the publisher.

As Christmas approaches, does anyone feel inspired to be rude about their less favourite carols? A baby would have to have divine fortitude not to burst into tears at yet another 'Away in a Manger'.

Yes, has to be 'Away in A Manger'. Also 'Adam lay y-bounden' (too tweely medieval revival for me, though I do warm to it a bit on looking it up on wikipedia and seeing that it comes from a manuscript whose other contents include 'I have a gentil cok'...).

Just looked up Sing Glory. Looks dire. Published by the people I'd guessed it might be.
[Frown]

Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nowt wrong with "Adam lay ybounden", but it should be pronounced according to Middle English norms. Much better that way.

'Away in a Manger' has given me the horrors since I was in short trousers.

[ 06. December 2012, 22:02: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17718 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Christmas always rekindles my hatred of the efforts of Mrs C F Alexander. So misguided, so unjustly loved.....

[brick wall] [Projectile]

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2147 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Nowt wrong with "Adam lay ybounden", but it should be pronounced according to Middle English norms. Much better that way.

I suppose so. But it's hearing it sung in ever-so-nice contemporary voices that puts me off it: the archness of the whole thing when done that way. The sort of thing you can imagine Linda Snell pushing into the Ambridge carols to try to raise the cultural bar, IYKWIM.
My really shocking Christmas music confession is this: I don't like John Rutter's work. Not crap- oh no, very much not crap- but far too 'tastefully' polished for my liking, what I've heard of it.

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I like "This is the truth sent from above" sung in a raunchy, folk-y sort of way.

But my organist doesn't.

I also like to hear "O come, O come Immanuel" sung with each line as a complete arching phrase, without intervening bar-lines.

[ 07. December 2012, 08:22: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9477 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
womanspeak
Shipmate
# 15394

- Posted      Profile for womanspeak   Email womanspeak   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just discovered on you tubes three great new kids Christmas songs that are so uncool that they're cool - particularly with the actions.

Written and performed by an English Vicar - David Heath-Whyte and available from his website www.maynardsgroovytunes.org.uk. I downloaded the Christmas Album JUMP WITH JOY.

They are all new to me and my seven classes of eleven and twelve year olds this week really got the irony and the fun. Biblically accurate too.

GLORY TO GOD IN THE HIGHEST
LORD YOU'RE SO TOTALLY COOOL
AWESOME AND BRILLIANT
MAGNIFICENT WONDERFUL
JESUS YOU ROCK AND YOU RULE.

My fairly traditional rector has gone ahead and bought the whole catelog!

So not creepy with the right audience and the correct "vibe of the thing" as we Aussies would say.

--------------------
from the bush

Posts: 62 | From: rural australia | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

Why do we have to sing Once in Royal David's City, when we could be singing this?

I defy anyone to listen to it, and not end up playing an air violin with a happy smile on their face.

The church in the snow, by the way, is Sheffield Cathedral.

--------------------

Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Albertus wrote
quote:
My really shocking Christmas music confession is this: I don't like John Rutter's work. Not crap- oh no, very much not crap- but far too 'tastefully' polished for my liking, what I've heard of it.
Pffft! Iut if you want to see what crap looks like when polished up, I recommend his "Candlelight Carol", a particularly ripe example of the "Mistletoe and Wine" genre.

There are several examples of this outrage on Youtube, including one with the score so you can sing along to annoy the neighbours.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4809 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

quote:
Originally posted by Honest Ron Bacardi:
Albertus wrote
quote:
Pffft! Iut if you want to see what crap looks like when polished up, I recommend his "Candlelight Carol", a particularly ripe example of the "Mistletoe and Wine" genre.

There are several examples of this outrage on Youtube, including one with the score so you can sing along to annoy the neighbours.

Yuk. I'm too fond of my neighbours.

The line,
"How do you measure the love of a mother, how do you write down a baby's first cry",
says it all.

If I said 'so terribly BBC', would anyone know what I meant.

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

Yes.
Completely with you on Old Foster, by the way- applied for a couple of jobs in Sheffield earlier this year and I do remember thinking that proximity to the local carol tradition would have been a minor bonus of getting either. (I got neither, BTW).

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FooloftheShip:
Christmas always rekindles my hatred of the efforts of Mrs C F Alexander. So misguided, so unjustly loved.....

[brick wall] [Projectile]

I have to say I do like some of her work. Much as I loath ATB&B, I will forgive a multitude of sins for the sublime translation of "St. Patrick's Breastplate" that she penned.
Posts: 2858 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Why do we have to sing Once in Royal David's City, when we could be singing this?

Is this the point when I interject my Christmas claim to fame that H J Gauntlett who wrote the tune to 'Once in Royal David's City' is my ancestor? The great (great?) grandfather of my paternal grandmother if I recall correctly. [Smile]

[ 07. December 2012, 18:31: Message edited by: Lucia ]

Posts: 1066 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"All I once held dear built my life upon" sung to the tune of "76 Trombones" anyone?

Go on, go on, you know you want to

Posts: 3759 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Snags
# 15351

quote:
I've discovered it was in a book called 'Sing Glory'. Have any shipmates encountered it, or do any know anything about it?
Known amongst a sub-set of the musicians at our shack as "Sing Poorly".

I loathe that book with a passion. It's the worst of all possible worlds. "Modernised" words for old songs; awful layout on the page; a buggering nightmare to actually find songs because the alphabetical index is hidden at the back, but not right at the back; thoroughly random and snobbish choice of songs; arbitrary choice of which items are 'songs' and which 'hymns' and will therefore have guitar chords given, thus limiting general usefulness even more*l chap who edited/collated it clearly so far up his arse it's untrue.

This last caused some consternation when I discovered that one of my friends had him for a tutor at London School of Theology. She point-black refused to pass on my lack of regards [Devil]

Back in the day when we still used books, Sing Poorly was forcibly introduced by a dubious coalition between the then senior minister and one of the organists. Is outrage! didn't even come close to covering it.

*If some of the more modern songs had been over-printed with "On NO ACCOUNT try to play this on the organ" I might have had more sympathy with the apartheid approach. Grr. Travesty. Grr. Stupid ill-conceived and badly executed bloody orange book.

Fortunately I don't feel strongly about it.

--------------------

Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
"All I once held dear built my life upon" sung to the tune of "76 Trombones" anyone?

Go on, go on, you know you want to

Genius! Never tried that before. Must have a word with our organist... [Big Grin]

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Aravis
Shipmate
# 13824

- Posted      Profile for Aravis   Email Aravis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've probably mentioned this before, but try "Meekness and Majesty" to Verdi's "La donn'e mobile"...
Posts: 657 | From: S Wales | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
I also like to hear "O come, O come Immanuel" sung with each line as a complete arching phrase, without intervening bar-lines.

Unaccompanied, adult male voices only for a real shivers down the back experience.

This is as good as music gets.

--------------------
Fearfully and wonderfully mad
Love the dinner, hate the din.
ن
blog

Posts: 8832 | From: Somewhere else | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aravis:
I've probably mentioned this before, but try "Meekness and Majesty" to Verdi's "La donn'e mobile"...

For the more traditional congregation, "Jesus lives, thy sorrows now" can be sung to the tune of The Stripper.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4809 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:

'Away in a Manger' has given me the horrors since I was in short trousers.

Cheer yourself up. Sing it to the Wombles theme tune ("Underground, overground, Wombling free et al").

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24053 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

Singing 'As with gladness men of old' this morning, I noticed that Hymns Old & New gives us 'As their gifts they gently laid/ at that manger roughly made' (or something like that) for 'as they offered gifts most rare/ at that manger rude and bare'. Now, before the Hosts start having kittens, I am not accusing Kevin Mayhew of changing this for any disreputable reason. The reason appears to be obvious: the suspicion that choirboys will snigger at 'rude and bare'. (This is presumably thee same reason all mention of sods is dropped from 'Thou didst leave thy throne and thy kingly crown' and 'Good King Wenceslas'. )

The suspicion is, of course, perfectly well-founded, if today's kids are anything like we were. But isn't it a bit pathetic for a hymnbook editor to take notice of it?

Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
SImilarly, the same KM book as altered George Herbert (how dare he?) from 'thou didst note my working breast/thou hast granted my request' to 'thou didst note my ardent zeal/thou hast granted my appeal' in 'Seven whole days' I tend to stick with what Herbert wrote!

Church I was at this morning had AMNS for most of the hymns but we had 'We three kings' out of a book of worship songs with a familiar feel to the typesetting (yes it was KM!) and it had altered 'all men raising' to 'gladly raising' which I ignored -- singing hymns half from memory has advantages!

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oooh, you have to have the working breast! It's terrible when your breast isn't working. How else do you get 'the cream of all my heart'?

--------------------
Searching for a new sig...

Posts: 9159 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

- Posted      Profile for Margaret   Email Margaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not the least of the joys of leaving my old church is that I need never sing from HON again - almost every week there was a hymn which the editors had made a mess of. My new place uses Common Praise and it's bliss to have the Proper Words again!
Posts: 2451 | From: West Midlands UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lucia:
quote:

Is this the point when I interject my Christmas claim to fame that H J Gauntlett who wrote the tune to 'Once in Royal David's City' is my ancestor? The great (great?) grandfather of my paternal grandmother if I recall correctly. [Smile]
And what a lovely tune it is!

Worth remembering that dear Mrs Alexander was writing many of her hymns as sort of Bible lessons for Sunday School children; easy poetic ways for kids to learn the story of Jesus. It has to be said, she does seem to have succeeded.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 9960 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sergius-Melli
Shipmate
# 17462

- Posted      Profile for Sergius-Melli   Email Sergius-Melli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To add one post to this thread before it seems to dissappear back into the depths of DH - IMO the most hideous of changes to a hymn:

'Onward Christian Pilgrims' from 'Onwards Christian Soldiers'

Posts: 722 | From: Sneaking across Welsh hill and dale with a thurible in hand | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To be fair Onward Christian Pilgrims is a new hymn which happens too share its tune and first two words with another hymn. One of the things HON has a thing about is military language. And I'm heading that way myself. Certainly I was glad that the version of For all the saints we sang on All Saints Day outside Church House as people gathered for an arms fair omitted those verses and replaced them with verses on martyrs and the like. It was a better version than KM's though. Again new material rather than mangled old material.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

If you're bored have a go at putting the words of "Sing of the Lord's goodness" to Dave Brubeck's Take Five - you won't find the "original" the same ever again [Smile]

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
If you're bored have a go at putting the words of "Sing of the Lord's goodness" to Dave Brubeck's Take Five - you won't find the "original" the same ever again [Smile]

We used to do this at school, or at least we used 'Take Five' as an intro. It's stuck in my head forever now, and made watching the recent tv programmes about Dave Brubeck a big problem.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1834 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me] You too Can Write a Praise Song. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016