homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Dead Horses   » Yet more crappy choruses, wonky worship-songs and horrible hymns (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Yet more crappy choruses, wonky worship-songs and horrible hymns
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, Alogon, I needed that. [Killing me]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
Why do we have to sing Once in Royal David's City, when we could be singing this?

I defy anyone to listen to it, and not end up playing an air violin with a happy smile on their face.

The church in the snow, by the way, is Sheffield Cathedral.

My mother loathed Once in Royal, because she had a profound sense as a child that she Was Being Got At. King's College Chapel at the Strand London have a version which has excised the offensive parts.
A.Pilgrim
Shipmate
# 15044

- Posted      Profile for A.Pilgrim   Email A.Pilgrim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mark_in_manchester:
...and (indignation building) - Enoch wrote

quote:
Only a few days ago, I encountered a badly mangled version of 'Be thou my vision'
In my sisters evo-charismatic-anglican church I heard this done...in 4/4 [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] so the lame-ass guitar band could play power chords all over it [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

...and in the process turning a lilting, flowing melody into a jerking, uneven, syncopated stagger just so that the drummer can bash the drum kit all over it as well.

I've also encountered the 3/4 to 4/4 adaptation done to the hymn 'Here is love, vast as the ocean' (link to original version) by extending the notes at the end of all the phrases by an extra beat, thus removing any sense of lyrical movement from the tune. It's one of my favourite hymns, and when I realised what the worship group had done to it I started to lose the will to live, let alone the will to engage in worship. [Frown]
Angus

Posts: 434 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That is poor. If a 3/4 tune must be turned into 4/4 (like if you're being threatened with flaying alive if you don't - can't think of any musical justification) then a better approach is generally something like turning:

C C C

into

C. C. C

If you get what I mean (note for Colonials - a C is a crotchet, what you call a "quarter note")

C C M makes the melody even squarer than the 3/4 was.

Ackshully - I can think of one song that is, if not improved, then made not unpleasantly different by this process. Notably it's already a modern song anyway - Meekness and Majesty.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I assume that that video claiming that certain words rhyme was joking. I have noticed that modern songs have curious understandings about rhyme.

Verse one: very good rhymes, some internal.
Verse two: generally well rhymed, internal ones gone.
Verse three: assonance.

We had one at school, in the BBC book, "Who put the colours in the rainbow?" that followed this pattern, but it wasn't the only one. (I grew up with one in "Songs of Praise" about "the coral-coated ladybird, the velvet humming-bee", similar message, much better rhyming, and no spat with evolution.)

mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bump

Albertus wrote, some time ago:

quote:
The reason appears to be obvious: the suspicion that choirboys will snigger at 'rude and bare'.
Our 7-yr-old girl likes rhyming poems, and was moaning to me the other day about 'songs where you have to say the words funny to make it rhyme'.

So I gave her 'late in time behold him come, offspring of a virgin's wum'.

Once she worked it out she laughed a lot...went quiet...and then started laughing a lot more. On questioning, she'd only say 'it could have been a LOT ruder than that...' [Big Grin]

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some swine linked me to a youtube of that "these are the days of Elijah" thing.

I was drawn to the Fr Ted episode where they write a song for Eurovision. "What were we thinking? It's just the same note over and over again!"

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
I have noticed that modern songs have curious understandings about rhyme.

Verse one: very good rhymes, some internal.
Verse two: generally well rhymed, internal ones gone.
Verse three: assonance.

That's often the case in homespun poetry too: the muse departs after the first verse but the bard keeps writing.

In verse 4 of the songs the rhythm becomes unsingable, too.

(This also explains why some "new hymns to familiar tunes" don't work: the internal rhymes are different to the ones in the "usual" text and we notice that).

[ 02. April 2013, 16:19: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If it helps, I once attended a conference on church music led by one of the people out of the Langley Vineyard -- Brian Doerkson, I believe, who has crafted a number of good worship songs. They (not necessarily Doerkson) are responsible for things like Refiner's Fire, which some of you may recognize.

He confided two relevent things -- the first was his opinion that if everything "God inspired me to write" was of God, God had really poor judgement and far too much time on His hands. The second was that even when God did give him, Brian, something, it could take years of working on it to make it usable, and musical. He used as an example, BTW, a song on his latest CD that he had had to work on for 2-3 years before it became something he could perform and record.

Incidently, at that same conference, one of the musicians confided that he and his friends never used that kind of music in their churches on Sunday -- that they aren't meant for congregational singing or use but for performance in what someone like me would call a sacred concert. The song Brian had used earlier to demonstrate how long it could take to make something performable, Brian also pointed out, was in fact so personal to him, that he said while others could possibly benefit from hearing it (which is why he recorded it) he doubted very much that anyone else should sing it -- and of course, by implication, that it should never by used for congregational singing.

JOhn

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's very interesting and sensible: just, I suppose, as those of us who are more liturgical would not expect to use e.g. Bach's B Minor Mass for congregational worship (quite apart from complexity and musical skill required, the Kyries alone last 20 minutes!)

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
Incidently, at that same conference, one of the musicians confided that he and his friends never used that kind of music in their churches on Sunday -- that they aren't meant for congregational singing or use but for performance in what someone like me would call a sacred concert. The song Brian had used earlier to demonstrate how long it could take to make something performable, Brian also pointed out, was in fact so personal to him, that he said while others could possibly benefit from hearing it (which is why he recorded it) he doubted very much that anyone else should sing it -- and of course, by implication, that it should never by used for congregational singing.

There's plenty of contemporary songs that fit into this category, I think! One that I'm in two minds about is How He Loves which was written following the death of the songwriter's close friend (more at the Wikipedia link). On the surface, the language is horrendous 'Jesus is my boyfriend' stuff but my attitude to the song really changed when I found out the context in which it was written. Still not sure it works in a congregational setting, though.

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK everyone, you want to know about crappy choruses, etc (and lousy clerical style as well): LOOK NO FURTHER. Go onto Amazon and see if you can get a copy of a splendid book "Why Catholics Can't Sing - The Culture of Catholicism and the Triumph of Bad Taste" by Thomas Day. Granted, it was written about the state of music in the American Roman Catholic church but (a) it deals comprehensively with many much-loved bits of c**p music adopted over here, and (b) sections of it will have you howling with laughter.

Seriously, it makes some very valid points about the theology of some worship songs. Try to track down a copy - you won't regret it.

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by South Coast Kevin:
There's plenty of contemporary songs that fit into this category, I think! One that I'm in two minds about is How He Loves which was written following the death of the songwriter's close friend (more at the Wikipedia link). On the surface, the language is horrendous 'Jesus is my boyfriend' stuff but my attitude to the song really changed when I found out the context in which it was written. Still not sure it works in a congregational setting, though.

It definitely works well for us, but probably because we only used the song once it was made popular by David Crowder. We wouldn't have done that without it being brought into mainstream worship use by a respected worship leader like Crowder.

But of course there are other songs we would look at and say "no" straight away which you or others might find really good.

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, I think we only started using 'How He Loves' since the David Crowder Band did it. In any case, my impression is that it's quite popular amongst our church as a whole (certainly most of the other music leaders like it), it's just I'm not much of a fan. I find it very hard to sing any 'I love you Jesus' sort of songs when I'm not really in the mood, as it were.

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm currently watching Songs of Praise - Junior School Choir competition - and they've just sung On Eagle's Wings.

One word - OUCH! Thank FUCK Haugen's stuff doesn't get played much in Protestant circles...
I can see why it's hated...

Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh - another one used was... well, you'll recognise it from the metre. Also teh lament of any CCLI-only cleared church that relies on Easyworship when this one comes up..

"I have caused the office pain/Do we need this one again/We had to pay the PRS/Cos we don't use books"

Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alex Cockell:
Thank FUCK Haugen's stuff doesn't get played much in Protestant circles...
I can see why it's hated...

Oh I don't know ... "Let us build a house/All are welcome" is popular in the URC in Britain. It goes down well with us, and we are pretty traditional when it comes to music.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

Baptist trainfan posted
"Let us build a house/All are welcome" is popular in the URC in Britain. It goes down well with us, and we are pretty traditional when it comes to music. [Eek!]

NO! traditional is Praise my soul and Love divine - with a generous dollop of Latin hymns (or translations) such as the Veni creator or Pange lingua.

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:

NO! traditional is Praise my soul and Love divine - with a generous dollop of Latin hymns (or translations) such as the Veni creator or Pange lingua.

The real question is whether English-speaking congregations should sing Guide me, oh thou great redeemer in Welsh. [Snigger]
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or indeed at all...

After 20 years in London I still haven't recovered from the shock of hearing a congregation sing 'And Can It Be' in unison!

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Although neither author nor composer were Welsh!

(Not that you said they were).

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

quote:
posted by Leorning Cniht
The real question is whether English-speaking congregations should sing Guide me, oh thou great redeemer in Welsh.

Look, not all WELSH congregations sing it in Welsh... and west of the dyke the English is Guide me, O thou great Jehovah ".

As for And can it be IMHO it sounds at its best in harmony, preferably accompanied by Salvation Army band... [Smile]

--------------------

mrs whibley
Shipmate
# 4798

- Posted      Profile for mrs whibley     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would like to report an occurrence of Colours of Day in Southern Scotland.
This is a song which I don't remember encountering outside the previous incarnation of this thread - but it transpires that mr whibley knows it well. In fact he interviewed the perpetrators for a radio programme when it first came out!
Things were going so well at the new church, too. Thankfully the person sitting next to mr whibley apologised to him for the quality of today's music.

--------------------
I long for a faith that is gloriously treacherous - Mike Yaconelli

Posts: 942 | From: North Lincolnshire | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:

As for And can it be IMHO it sounds at its best in harmony, preferably accompanied by Salvation Army band... [Smile]

It wasn't too bad at a recent Archepiscopal enthronement ... nor at my son's wedding last year in a country parish church!
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... and west of the dyke the English is Guide me, O thou great Jehovah ".

As it is in our church and most others I've been to in the south-east of England.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:
... and west of the dyke the English is Guide me, O thou great Jehovah ".

As it is in our church and most others I've been to in the south-east of England.
Whereas in most of the churches I've been to in the last 10 years or so (Anglican and non-conformist, both in South London and here)it's been Redeemer.

Go figure...

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's Redeemer in the English Hymnal, and in most editions of Hymns A&M, but Jehovah in the New English Hymnal and Jehovah in the TEC hymnal.

Redeemer is what I grew up with, so it's what sticks.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:

The real question is whether English-speaking congregations should sing Guide me, oh thou great redeemer in Welsh. [Snigger]
Don't know about in Welsh, but I do know it's virtually impossible to sing it without inadvertently affecting a Welsh accent.

--------------------

Helen-Eva
Shipmate
# 15025

- Posted      Profile for Helen-Eva   Email Helen-Eva   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mrs whibley:
This is a song which I don't remember encountering outside the previous incarnation of this thread - but it transpires that mr whibley knows it well. In fact he interviewed the perpetrators for a radio programme when it first came out!

Is that the one where the chorus begins "So light up the fire and let the flame burn"? If yes, it was a staple at school in the 1980s but I've never heard it again since.

--------------------
I thought the radio 3 announcer said "Weber" but it turned out to be Webern. Story of my life.

Posts: 637 | From: London, hopefully in a theatre or concert hall, more likely at work | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Dinghy Sailor

Ship's Jibsheet
# 8507

- Posted      Profile for Dinghy Sailor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Helen-Eva:
quote:

Is that the one where the chorus begins "So light up the fire and let the flame burn"? If yes, it was a staple at school in the 1980s but I've never heard it again since.
It was still a primary school staple in the 1990s, and lived on as one of the tunes that got cranked out in my old church for some baptisms etc where the visitors wouldn't have sung any hymns since their school assembly days.

--------------------
Preach Christ, because this old humanity has used up all hopes and expectations, but in Christ hope lives and remains.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:
quote:

Don't know about in Welsh, but I do know it's virtually impossible to sing it without inadvertently affecting a Welsh accent.
Anything sung (in totality) in any language other than that of the majority of the congregation is suspect IMHO. It may be great for those foir whom it's originally written - in suburban or rural uk it just sounds twee or as if someone's posing by proving they can write a song in Hebrew words (a particular pet hate)
Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Helen-Eva:
quote:

As a budding pyromaniac Ijust love that one. Petrol, matches and a bale of straw anyone?

Another pet hate is "I want to dance as david danced" Do you? Really? Ok, then if you're happy to undress in cold St Cuthberts it's up to you but a) we have no insurance for that kind of thing b) no risk assessment has been completed so you're on your own

[ 22. April 2013, 12:19: Message edited by: ExclamationMark ]

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

quote:
posted by Helen-Eva

...and I'd managed to avoid for, ooh, 4 years or so until just a few weeks ago, when I was at a service elsewhere than my own church,

- at a funeral,

- in a crematorium. [Snigger]

I'd have LOVED to think it was post-modern irony but...

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Songs of Praise - Redeemer. Tunes: Llanilar, Caersalem. I can't read music well, but they do not look right to me.

Congregational Praise - Jehovah. Tunes: Caersalem, Cwm Rhondda.

How could the SoP people, given who they were, for goodness sake, think that anything else should even be suggested? And the CP lot put the only correct tune second?

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, Cwm Rhondda is a comparatively modern tune: it only dates from about 1905 - about 20 years before SoP was compiled. So Arglwydd arwain... was being sung to other tunes for, what, 130 years before it came along.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It's Redeemer in the English Hymnal, and in most editions of Hymns A&M, but Jehovah in the New English Hymnal and Jehovah in the TEC hymnal.

Redeemer is what I grew up with, so it's what sticks.

'Jehovah' is a nonsense word based on the misunderstanding of Hebrew and of the Jewish interpretation of the commandment against taking God's name in vain.

Best avoided. Stick to 'redeemer'.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
mrs whibley
Shipmate
# 4798

- Posted      Profile for mrs whibley     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
posted by Helen-Eva

...and I'd managed to avoid for, ooh, 4 years or so until just a few weeks ago, when I was at a service elsewhere than my own church,

- at a funeral,

- in a crematorium. [Snigger]

I'd have LOVED to think it was post-modern irony but...

That's the one! And
[Snigger]

A friend of mine has just posted her own alternative words to Be thou my vision on line, apparently because she can't sing it. Well, I can't sing her words to the actual tune, and it's not as if noone has tried this before...

Although I have only just considered that she might be playing it in 4/4...

[Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
A friend of mine has just posted her own alternative words to Be thou my vision on line, apparently because she can't sing it.

Got a link, please - I'd love to find justification as to why i don't like that hymn/song?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
mrs whibley
Shipmate
# 4798

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:
A friend of mine has just posted her own alternative words to Be thou my vision on line, apparently because she can't sing it.

Got a link, please - I'd love to find justification as to why i don't like that hymn/song?
I'm afraid it was on facebook - so even if public it would hardly be fair to link. Please take my word for it, any version you'll find in print is better (and I know there are some dire ones out there).

--------------------

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

quote:

[Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

Was it something like this? I'm getting that feeling of being the odd one out, but I really like the 4/4 version!

Oh, and here's another fresh reworking / complete wrecking of another much-loved hymn. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you O For a Thousand Tongues to Sing. And here is the full band version.

[ 22. April 2013, 21:06: Message edited by: South Coast Kevin ]

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I really like "Be Thou my vision". I did come across a version which tried to excise the Thou's and Thee's. Can't be done.

I think it feeds into the memory of books I read as a child, set in the Irish mythical history. And Narnia. At least, despite the warrior images, it puts God first - not like "I vow to Thee".

[ 22. April 2013, 21:37: Message edited by: Penny S ]

mrs whibley
Shipmate
# 4798

quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
I really like "Be Thou my vision". I did come across a version which tried to excise the Thou's and Thee's. Can't be done.

I think it feeds into the memory of books I read as a child, set in the Irish mythical history. at least, despite the warrior images, it puts God first - not like "I vow to Thee".

We had it at our wedding - and I policed the words used, so they had exactly the right amount of Thou's, Thee's and Be's! But then I like the Goblins and Foul Fiends, in "To be a Pilgrim" too.

--------------------

mrs whibley
Shipmate
# 4798

quote:
Originally posted by South Coast Kevin:
quote:

[Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

Was it something like this? I'm getting that feeling of being the odd one out, but I really like the 4/4 version!

Oh, and here's another fresh reworking / complete wrecking of another much-loved hymn. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you O For a Thousand Tongues to Sing. And here is the full band version.

Can I give you a respectful [Roll Eyes] ? At least not quite as [Projectile] or [Waterworks] as I feared!

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

Of course, there are crappy tunes (much loved) to decent trad hymns too: A&M tune for "Our blest Redeemer, e'er he breathed" is ghastly.

But find a copy of the old English Hymnal and it has a ravishing RVW arranged tune... worth tracking down and introducing.

I'm afraid the only person I can think of who'd not notice the true horror of 4/4 Slane would be my late mother - she was tone deaf and rhythmically challenged. [Eek!]

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
[QUOTE]'Jehovah' is a nonsense word based on the misunderstanding of Hebrew...

Not at all. Its a perfectly standard Anglicisation of the tetragrammaton pointed with the vowels of "Adonai", and really just an early modern way of saying the word we write as "LORD" in English bibles. No misunderstanding involved, just a different tradition of tramsliteration, with a layer of English sound change on top of it.

And its no worse a representation of the original Hebrew than a lot of other Anglicised names. Joseph and Jesus and Mary are just as altered. And John a lot more altered.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

OK, enough about a very good hymn.

Just had another brush with Thank you, Lord, for this new day [Eek!]

Generally I try not to listen to it - "music" bad enough but the words... unfortunately they filtered through this time.

This has to be a serious contender for the top 10 of "most banal worship-songs of all time" [Projectile]

--------------------

The Kat in the Hat
Shipmate
# 2557

- Posted      Profile for The Kat in the Hat   Email The Kat in the Hat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did you also have to endure the chorus between each verse?

--------------------
Less is more ...

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

Oh yes, there was no escape. [Eek!]

Have you come across this shocker that a friend has mailed me? [Projectile]

Lord, I thank You for another new day to live You;
Another day for me to practise being one spirit with You.

++ 6 more lines that don't scan before the big finish
Abiding in You as a branch in the vine.

This was presented in the form of a printed Order of Service and a memory stick with MP3 file given to my friend 15 minutes before a wedding... [Ultra confused]

Friend described the music as being in that well-loved style Barry Manilow on a bad day crossed with Richard Clayderman - in layman's terms less easily singable for a congregation than getting a Kazoo band to pull off the 1812 Overture convincingly.

I'll try to track down this gem online...

--------------------

Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like the 4/4 setting of "Be Thou my Vision". And I like the 3/4 original setting. Slane is essentially a great blending of an Irish hymn with a tune which is also Irish-Celtic in its shape and form.

The 4/4 setting when first produced invoked a fascinating use of the Bodhran, a particular kind of Irish drum. The driving use of the Bodhran in the new rhythm seems to me to be perfectly in accord with both the Irish inheritance of the hymn and the power of the ancient words.

I suppose it may be a bit of a shock to the system the first time you hear it - as is any change - but personally I find it both moving and appropriate.

Of course, if you hate the whole idea of the use of drum accompaniment to hymns, you won't like that anyway. But that's a kind of pre-condition which doesn't bother me.

The first time I heard it was at a wedding in Edinburgh, and it was played with Bodhran accompaniment. I was electrified by the setting, talked about it a lot to folks involved in church music - and got mixed reaction!

I suppose if it makes you sick, it does. Sure doesn't do that to me, on any level.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Liturgylover
Shipmate
# 15711

- Posted      Profile for Liturgylover   Email Liturgylover   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I came across this ghastly hymn (I think) last week. I think it was selected as one the children would like, but I am glad to say that both children and adults looked unimpressed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bbmYOccWnk

There is even the obligatory whooa and an optional lalala at the end of each verse.

Posts: 452 | From: North London | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016