homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Dead Horses   » 13 and counting (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  10  11  12 

Source: (consider it) Thread: 13 and counting
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two more countries have passed same-sex marriage laws: Uruguay last week (which I didn't see much news of), and tonight, New Zealand (which is not surprisingly getting plenty of attention here in Australia).

That makes 13 countries all up. Not counting those countries where it isn't a national-level issue, legally, and some areas have SSM while others don't.

I was wondering where else might follow. Europe and South America seem the most likely places.

I knew France and the UK are both debating. I hadn't realised that the French process is almost complete. What's the timetable like in the UK?

Wikipedia seems to be telling me that it's going to happen in Colombia by force of court order if legislation isn't passed soon (and legislation has been put forward).

Finland, Germany and Ireland all seem to have had significant indicators within the last month, although with further hurdles.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If New Zealand must have an earthquake, I'm glad that it was before authorizing same-sex marriage rather than after. Or are nuts attributing disasters to God's vengeance for giving the time of day to gays purely an American affliction? (The Phelps clan is going to picket funerals of the Boston bombing victims. They just know that it happened because Massachusetts was the first gay-marriage State).

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One MP had a rather amusing take on some of the predictions he'd had conveyed to him.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Alogon:
Or are nuts attributing disasters to God's vengeance for giving the time of day to gays purely an American affliction?

Having just rewatched the linked video, no. Homosexuals cause droughts.

--------------------

Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
What's the timetable like in the UK?

The Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill* is currently in Committee Stage in the House of Commons. I haven't heard any reports about what's been going on in Committee, so hopefully no news is good news.

*If this Bill doesn't change to become the Marriage (Same-Sex Couples) Bill before gaining royal assent I think we should sack the lot of them.

Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Giving me the opportunity to get married for the third time to the same person (commitment ceremony, civil union, marriage), just in time for our 20th anniversary.

I made the mistake of reading some of the comments on the Stuff website yesterday - plenty of people with hang ups displaying them loud and clear.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Uruguay is quite big news here, because it's a neighbouring country. Some Brazilian states already have marriage equality, I'm guessing (and hoping) it's only a matter of time before the rest of the country will follow.

Last week, the very popular singer Danielia Mercury came out, and that had a big impact. Just imagine: Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay... That would be a big chunk of South-America.

Congrats Arabella and the rest of NZ! That MP's speech is really good. I understand that some MP's were actually singing after passing the bill?

[ 17. April 2013, 20:15: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
orfeo: Homosexuals cause droughts.
Maybe we should send some from the North-East of Brazil to the South of the country? We're experiencing droughts in the former region, and flooding in the latter.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If that works, maybe the US can send some both to states which overlie the Ogalallah Aquifer, as well as to the US Supreme Court.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I found the video of the people singing in Parliament, I understand it's a Maori love song. Can't keep my eyes dry watching that one.

--------------------

mrs whibley
Shipmate
# 4798

- Posted      Profile for mrs whibley     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
quote:

The Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill* is currently in Committee Stage in the House of Commons. I haven't heard any reports about what's been going on in Committee, so hopefully no news is good news.

*If this Bill doesn't change to become the Marriage (Same-Sex Couples) Bill before gaining royal assent I think we should sack the lot of them.

I think England and Scotland are having a bit of a legislation-race on this one. We looked like we were winning towards the middle of last year, so David Cameron hurried his bill on a bit...
Both should be ready in 2014, although AFAIK Scotland is planning to allow religious ceremonies from the off and England isn't.

--------------------
I long for a faith that is gloriously treacherous - Mike Yaconelli

Posts: 942 | From: North Lincolnshire | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

- Posted      Profile for hatless   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Such beautiful days we are living through.

--------------------
My crazy theology in novel form

Posts: 4531 | From: Stinkers | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
I found the video of the people singing in Parliament, I understand it's a Maori love song. Can't keep my eyes dry watching that one.

Yeah, it's a pretty incredible sight.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

One of the fairly remarkable things about the NZ vote is that it was not simply along party lines. I don't know if every party gave its members a free vote, but I'm fairly sure most did.

I saw one news item in the lead-up that showed a party leader who was thoroughly anti-change, but it seems he was the only one. Other reports say 7 out of 8 leaders supported it. The Bill was brought into Parliament by a member of the opposition, and the Prime Minister supported it. You don't see THAT every day!

--------------------

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Maori Love Song Pokarekare Ana was amazing. I don't know if a choral group snuck in but it seemed remarkably on pitch. I can't imagine something similar in Congress.

It's nice to see rejoicing in the victory after a long hard battle. The opposition was described as a Christian group. It will be interesting to see what they do next as marriages start to be a reality.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:

It's nice to see rejoicing in the victory after a long hard battle. The opposition was described as a Christian group. It will be interesting to see what they do next as marriages start to be a reality.

Preparing for the apocalypse, likely.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you live in NZ you tend to know Pokerekere Ana unless you live under a rock. You learn it at school. Early.

Rather lovely use of it.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mrs whibley:
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
quote:

I think England and Scotland are having a bit of a legislation-race on this one. We looked like we were winning towards the middle of last year, so David Cameron hurried his bill on a bit...
Both should be ready in 2014, although AFAIK Scotland is planning to allow religious ceremonies from the off and England isn't.

My interest is primarily in Scotland. When we entered into our civil partnership at the British Consulate in Sydney, we nominated for it to be under the Scottish legal system because of close ties there. So when Scotland passes the law, we should be able to convert our CP into a marriage.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:

Preparing for the apocalypse, likely.
As I read various dire predictions - not only for New Zealand, but the odd American youtube poster who thinks their country is becoming more cursed by God as same-sex marriage spreads - I started to wonder why the Netherlands is taking so long to become afflicted with God's fury. It's been 13 years and it still appears to be a much nicer place to be than an awful lot of other places.

--------------------

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

Forgot to say that NZ events do tend to have singing attached if there are Maori people present. Its one of the things I love about NZ.

Any time something significant happens, someone will break out in a waiata (song) or a haka. My partner started a waiata group at her work, and they accompany the CEO to formal events and sing. My own team sings when we meet with other teams doing the same job.

--------------------

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
One MP had a rather amusing take on some of the predictions he'd had conveyed to him.

Thank you. That was just right in so many ways.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Arabella Purity Winterbottom: Forgot to say that NZ events do tend to have singing attached if there are Maori people present. Its one of the things I love about NZ.
If I understand the video correctly, I think that the singing was announced in the beginning. I still think it was very moving.

If only I didn't hate long flights so much...

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
As I read various dire predictions - not only for New Zealand, but the odd American youtube poster who thinks their country is becoming more cursed by God as same-sex marriage spreads - I started to wonder why the Netherlands is taking so long to become afflicted with God's fury. It's been 13 years and it still appears to be a much nicer place to be than an awful lot of other places.

God really likes tulips??

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
lilBuddha: God really likes tulips??
His angel of wrath came to punish us. The last time, he was seen somewhere in the vicinity of a coffeeshop in Amsterdam. Reports after that are vague, it seems that he started a Hare Krishna group afterwards.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
God really likes tulips??

Actually, tulips
might have been the punishment.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

An Australian conservative who gets it.

--------------------

Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

- Posted      Profile for Dennis the Menace   Email Dennis the Menace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
An Australian conservative who gets it.

At last some sense! If Julia did the same she might have a ghost of a chance at the next election!!

--------------------
"Till we cast our crowns before Him; Lost in wonder, love, and praise."

Posts: 853 | From: Newcastle NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is perhaps tangential, but related.

Does the legalisation of same sex marriage, or as I might prefer to call it, equality of marriage, change anything about homosexual relationships? I am going to cite the stereotype and acknowledge in advance that it is just that, but also suggest that my perception is that it contains some level of truth (unless I can be set straight that it does not). The stereotype is that gay men have more sexual partners and more causal sexual liaisons where, for example, there is no connection other than the sex, versus non-gay men. The stereotype does not seem to be in general perception nearly as much for lesbians.

Questions: Does marital equality lead to more committed relationships among gay men and lesbians, and, does it lead to gay men and lesbians having fewer sexual partners? Does marital equality lead to homosocial couples becoming more like heterosocial couples?

[ 22. April 2013, 19:42: Message edited by: no prophet ]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that this stereotype applies to men vs. women more than gay men vs. straight men, and in that respect it is true enough. Biology explains it. A woman can't have as many children as a man can. Therefore she must be choosier, and also concerned that her man will hang around and help raise the kids. So a same-sex relationship between two men, i.e. two who are inherently more likely to wander, will probably be distinctly more vulnerable than one with two who are inherently less likely to wander. The latter might be more apt to be monogamous than the average heterosexual relationship.

On the other hand, the radio show This American Life reported a study which tried to identify the best and worst marriages by observing all details of a conversation-- both language and body language. I'm sure that this was done and reported during Bush administration, because the researchers had a government grant which they would never have received had their proposal contained any obvious indication that, just out of curiosity, they hoped to study a few same-sex couples as well. With any standard language to that effect, a computer would probably have rejected it before ever being seen by human eyes.

Their most remarkable finding surprised them: according to everything they could observe, the same-sex couples interacted in a way that was off the charts. In short, they understood each other better than most man/woman pairs. Ira Glass quipped that this research had stumbled upon that earnestly-sought evidence that same-sex marriages threaten straight marriages: they do it by being happier and more successful!

In the case of men, whether this natural increased ability to communicate with a spouse will predominante over the increased tendency to stray is anyone's guess. But look at the good business sense of the old disco operators: great cunning was exercised to make a discotheque seem like a good place to hitch up, but not actually be a good place. In reality, it would be an unusually poor place. The ubiquitous high sound level, the darkness and flashing colored lights, the shortage of seats, the alcohol and drugginess, the anonymity and narcissism encouraged by the atmosphere...

It all started, I gather, because of local laws and ordinances in many places that prohibited a same-sex couple from body contact in public, or from even being identifiable partners on a dance floor. Presto, from resourceful and creative gay people: disco. They made such delectable lemonade from the lemons served to them, that pretty soon straight sheeple were voluntarily rushing to make their own prospects just as unpropitious as they had made those of gays. (Sweet revenge!)

And why this cunning? Because the proprietors knew that any enduring match made on their premises would mean two satisfied but former customers. Gotta keep 'em coming back. Couples knew this: going back to the bars, even together, was reputedly one of the most fatal temptations for a relationship. Such smart business types probably knew what was good for them.

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I know a gay couple in the Netherlands, they have been married for a while. Their wedding is so boring that it's almost a caricature. They mostly stay at home, have few friends and as far as I know they have no sexual escapades - and they're happy with this!

Maybe this is the biggest achievement of this struggle, that gay couples have as much right to a boring wedding as a straight couple [Biased]

[ 23. April 2013, 00:28: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

--------------------

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

My own experience of my own friends, gay/lesbian and straight, suggests that Alogon is right - its a male/female thing rather than a gay/straight thing.

That said, all my gay and lesbian friends bar one are happily in looooong term relationships - we're one of the shorter partnerships and we've been together 20 years. So all of those relationships reach back before the law changed to allow civil unions, let alone marriage.

Honestly, the gay agenda consists of looking bleary just like everyone else when you wake up, doing chores, working at a job, and coming home to cook dinner. Sorry if you were hoping for more glam, but that's the way it is for most of us.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
This is perhaps tangential, but related.

Does the legalisation of same sex marriage, or as I might prefer to call it, equality of marriage, change anything about homosexual relationships? I am going to cite the stereotype and acknowledge in advance that it is just that, but also suggest that my perception is that it contains some level of truth (unless I can be set straight that it does not). The stereotype is that gay men have more sexual partners and more causal sexual liaisons where, for example, there is no connection other than the sex, versus non-gay men. The stereotype does not seem to be in general perception nearly as much for lesbians.

Questions: Does marital equality lead to more committed relationships among gay men and lesbians, and, does it lead to gay men and lesbians having fewer sexual partners? Does marital equality lead to homosocial couples becoming more like heterosocial couples?

As well as the remarks made by others, my response to this is to refer you to the work of Jane Elliott. If you tell dark-skinned people that they are lazy, dumb and good for nothing, they will tend to believe you. If you tell blue-eyed people that they are inferior and dumb and troublesome, they will tend to believe you.

If you tell gay men that their relationships are shallow and meaningless and nothing more than promiscuous sexual escapades, they will tend to believe you.

Same-sex marriage is about telling them that their relationships mean something, after all.

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
orfeo:
quote:
Homosexuals cause droughts.
It's not an either/or situation you know - you can also cause earthquakes and ingrowing toenails.

But seriously... great news.

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The passing of the marriage equality legislation in NZ was the one piece of good news that raised my spirits in a difficult fortnight (my father's death). Because I wasn't watching TV I missed the singing of Pokarekare ana in Parliament which was an appropriate song to sing as Maori protocol is that that the waiata (song) gives added support to the speech.

As for the comments on the Stuff website mentioned by Arabella, it never ceases to amaze me how nasty and ignorant some people can be.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If you tell gay men that their relationships are shallow and meaningless and nothing more than promiscuous sexual escapades, they will tend to believe you.

Same-sex marriage is about telling them that their relationships mean something, after all.

Please be clear, I would never use such terms: "shallow and meaningless and nothing more than promiscuous sexual escapades". The judge of the meaningfulness of a relationship is the parties involved.

But further to the point, there is a difference between a relationship and extracting a single activity out of the context of relationship. I have heard discussed before that men are more promiscuous, but are they?

Is the suggestion that the 'standard' for meaning in relationship is the heterosocial married couple? Thus does marriage equality means gay and lesbian couples come to resemble hetero ones? Certainly there are examples of this, including children.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Congratulations France and Delaware!

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:

Please be clear, I would never use such terms: "shallow and meaningless and nothing more than promiscuous sexual escapades". The judge of the meaningfulness of a relationship is the parties involved.

But further to the point, there is a difference between a relationship and extracting a single activity out of the context of relationship. I have heard discussed before that men are more promiscuous, but are they?

Is the suggestion that the 'standard' for meaning in relationship is the heterosocial married couple? Thus does marriage equality means gay and lesbian couples come to resemble hetero ones? Certainly there are examples of this, including children.

Don't worry, I wasn't taking this as you using that kind of terminology.

There are certainly some queer activists who berate their fellow homosexuals for wanting to emulate the heterosexual model. But personally I think they're making the exact same mistake as the conservative anti-homosexual anti-SSM crowd.

It's not about forcing everyone into the same lifestyle. It's about choice. There are, in fact, plenty of HETEROsexuals who lead a promiscuous, non-committed, not-interested-in-settling-down-and-having-a-family life. The difference is that no-one characterises them as having a specifically 'heterosexual' lifestyle. Neither does anyone look at 20-somethings getting outrageously drunk on a Friday or Saturday night and throwing up in the gutter and thinks that's how all heterosexuals behave.

And that really is the difference: without same-sex-marriage, homosexuals are steered away from one particular form of lifestyle that some of them would otherwise choose. Whereas heterosexuals have the full range of lifestyles open to them.

Gay and lesbian couples that aren't interested in traditional nuclear family marriages already resemble heterosexual couples that aren't interested in traditional nuclear family marriages. Same-sex marriage means that gay and lesbian couples that are interested in that kind of life can resemble their heterosexual counterparts. Because I don't think that sexuality is what determines your views and desires when it comes to the sort of relationship you want.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I think this analysis rests on the dubious assumption that there is only one kind of straight married couple. I'm not sure I can agree with an argument that's based on the assumption that the relationship between Barack and Michelle Obama (to pick a well known couple) is exactly the same as the relationship between Newt and Callista Gingrich (or Newt and Marianne Gingrich, or Newt and Jackie Gingrich). What is the same is the legal rights and obligations between these couples (adjusting for any difference in family law between Illinois and Georgia), regardless of the exact nature of their personal interactions. That's what marriage equality means.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
Congratulations France and Delaware!

And it looks like Rhode Island as well.

EDIT: Heck of a month, really.

[ 26. April 2013, 04:28: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is there any way to edit thread titles?
[Biased] [Biased]

orfeo

# 13878

I have a vague feeling a Host can do it! Hehe, I should know, rather than have a vague feeling.

--------------------

TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Is there any way to edit thread titles?
[Biased] [Biased]

As Orfeo implies, there certainly is a way of doing so - not that I've had to do so before!

What is it you want - '17 and counting'?

Yours aye ... TonyK
Host, Dead Horses

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

What I'd really want is "196 and we don't need to count no more". But I guess we still have wait for that for a while...

--------------------

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

I suppose and hope it would turn into a regular chore if it has the number embedded in the title.

Even more and still counting

Orfeo? It's your thread title.

orfeo

# 13878

I'm not especially fussed one way or the other to be honest. "And counting" arguably covers a multitude of options.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hatless:
Such beautiful days we are living through.

Amen. [Smile]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

Minnesota may be next. There's a floor debate in the House of Representatives that looks promising. [Smile]
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Minnesota may be next. There's a floor debate in the House of Representatives that looks promising. [Smile]

Nope, it's Delaware. Minnesota will have to settle for being next after that.

[ 08. May 2013, 13:30: Message edited by: Crœsos ]

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

On July 1, when Delaware's same-sex marriage law goes into effect, 16% of Americans will be living in a jurisdiction that recognizes same-sex marriage. Unless the Supreme Court strikes down California's Proposition 8 before then, in which case the number would be 29%.

--------------------

Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As some guy from off the Iron Range wrote, ."The old road is rapidly fading, you better get out of the new one if you can't lend a hand, for the times they are a-changin'!"

MN Marriage Equality Vote

--------------------
I need a quote.

Posts: 668 | From: Wapasha's Prairie | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  10  11  12 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016