homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Dead Horses   » House of Bishops Report on Same Sex Relationships (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: House of Bishops Report on Same Sex Relationships
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, his name really is Cocksworth.

Also claims that the voting system for GS is 'confusing' - this is the electronic voting system GS has used for the past ? 8 years with a reputation for being one of the simplest around, and the bishop has a PhD (granted in theology, but even so)!

One of the best comments I've seen elsewhere likens the farce to a Carry On film with the following cast list so far:
  • Charles Hawtrey - Bishop of Coventry
  • Kenneth Connor Archbishop of Canterbury
  • Joan Sims - Angela Minchiello Williams
  • Arthur Mullard - Peter Ould
  • Kenneth Williams - Nicky Gumbel

Shipsmates might have other ideas or more cast suggestions? I know I'm pounding the little grey cells for the right role for Bernard Breslaw.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:

Shipsmates might have other ideas or more cast suggestions? I know I'm pounding the little grey cells for the right role for Bernard Breslaw.

Easy - West Yorkshire and the Dales

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course!

Maybe Kenny Lynch for York?

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It gets better.

Christopher Cocksworth has issued a statement to say he was 'confused' and pressed the wrong button on his handset [Killing me]

Unfortunately, he then went on to claim that "several" members of the House of Clergy had told him they had done the same (how do they know, if they knew so little they pressed the "wrong" button how do they now know which is which?).

Does anyone else see this as an attempt to force another vote?

Sour grapes are sour grapes, regardless of the packaging.

He's one of the better evos - used to be principal of Ridley Hall, a warm and generous man.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Also claims that the voting system for GS is 'confusing' - this is the electronic voting system GS has used for the past ? 8 years with a reputation for being one of the simplest around, and the bishop has a PhD (granted in theology, but even so)!

"Got confused and didn't know how to use the push buttons" doesn't seem likely.

"Pushed the wrong button because accidentally answered the inverse of the question on offer" might be plausible.

I still remember that I did something very much like that in a multiple-guess chemistry exam decades ago (it was the question I got wrong, so it rather sticks in my mind.) The question asked "Which of the following is not a factor in something or other." I eliminated the three obvious non-answers, stared at the remaining two for a while, thought "that one's a factor", ticked its box and moved on. I was convinced I had that question correct right up to the point that the marked exams were returned, and I saw that what I had done didn't exactly line up with my intent - because I was thinking about the wrong phrasing of the question.

But it's easier to blame the computer for confusing you.

[ 17. February 2017, 19:19: Message edited by: Leorning Cniht ]

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
"Why are gay people always made to feel we have to be grateful just for being treated like everyone else?" You can argue with that, deconstruct it, do what you like, but for me, it really sums the whole thing up.

Indeed. And it occurred to me recently that the 'kindness' which permeates the whole 'love the sinner, hate the sin' thing, is so thoroughly dripping with condescension as to render it incompatible with any sort of love at all.

The church has managed to get around, eventually, to shelving their wrongs on some issues in the past, though. No-one sings 'The rich man in his castle/The poor man at his gate/He made them high and lowly/And ordered their estate' any longer, but god only knows what it must have been like to have to sing that, as a poor man.

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cocksworth?

[Killing me]

Sorry, as you were...

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, at least the HoB can't send him to Coventry!
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by anoesis:
No-one sings 'The rich man in his castle/The poor man at his gate/He made them high and lowly/And ordered their estate' any longer, but god only knows what it must have been like to have to sing that, as a poor man.

If you squint you can see it as saying "it's not your fault you're poor, that's just the way of the world" and that this might be comforting, at least vs the "everyone can be successful if they work hard" message we often get now. It at least mitigates against the idea that poverty is moral failing. I think you'd probably need a very charitable disposition to take that from it though.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
beatmenace
Shipmate
# 16955

- Posted      Profile for beatmenace   Email beatmenace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yes, his name really is Cocksworth.

One of the best comments I've seen elsewhere likens the farce to a Carry On film with the following cast list so far:
  • Charles Hawtrey - Bishop of Coventry
  • Kenneth Connor Archbishop of Canterbury
  • Joan Sims - Angela Minchiello Williams
  • Arthur Mullard - Peter Ould
  • Kenneth Williams - Nicky Gumbel

Would anyone dare to suggest an appropriate clerical role for Barbara Windsor?

[ 25. February 2017, 14:46: Message edited by: beatmenace ]

--------------------
"I'm the village idiot , aspiring to great things." (The Icicle Works)

Posts: 297 | From: Whitley Bay | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016