homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Dead Horses   » Archbishop Kay Goldsworthy (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Archbishop Kay Goldsworthy
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I should add that I don't have that long history with St Alban's as you do, but we have some friends there now. I do have a much closer knowledge of Mosman.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 6726 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
I understand that those left, including one who has been a synod representative for many years, are doing well in difficult circumstances.

That last sentence would read better by changing "left" to "remain". Ambiguous otherwise.

--------------------

Posts: 6726 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The previous rector at St Alban's, Epping felt that the Sydney diocese was unhappy about the churchmanship at that church and had been putting pressure on generally for a number of years.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13553 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

I think that was true of all the non-Sydney Anglican parishes under the Jensens, but things were starting to look better. Certainly the previous rector had set a very high standard.

I don't know quite what happened at Epping in the search for a new rector. Certainly ++Glenn has his policy of Moore College standard NT Greek as a requirement. While he will allow that level to be achieved within 2 years from appointment, I can imagine many possible candidates would be insulted by the suggestion that they undertake further formal education. That may have been the case. Many clergy would also feel some concerns about moving into Sydney with not a large number of congenial colleagues around. Then the usual family matters discouraging a move would creep in.

No matter what, the time to recommend an appointment to the Abp lapsed and ++Glenn appointed his friend. The new rector was previously a regional bishop in Tasmania but wanted to return to Sydney. I don't know much about that.

--------------------

bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, is that where the ex Tasmanian assistant bishop went! He just disappeared after being given his marching orders.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1284 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Thanks bib, I'll pass that on - very much along the same lines as the comments made to us. Any understanding why?

--------------------

bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There were complaints from many people within the church and without, about treatment of individuals, financial issues and decisions made without proper approval. I'm not willing to add any more to this apart from the fact that he was asked to leave.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Thank you bib - I understand that you are limited in what you can say, but can you say who told him to go? Our Epping friends are none too happy with what ++Glenn did.

We hope that your new rector is settling in well with you.

--------------------

bib
Shipmate
# 13074

This has not been my church for some time as they have become very "low" liturgically and so for some years now I am part of an Anglo-Catholic parish. In relation to your query, I am given to understand that the wardens pushed the issue, but this is just hearsay. Sorry, I can't help further.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

I did not think you'd be going there any more but rather to Holy Trinity. Thanks for that, I'll pass it on.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016