homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: What would a "Spongite" Church be like? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  10  11  12 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: What would a "Spongite" Church be like?
RadicalWhig
Shipmate
# 13190

- Posted      Profile for RadicalWhig   Author's homepage   Email RadicalWhig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Twelve points for Reform:

1. Theism, as a way of defining God, is dead. So most theological God-talk is today meaningless. A new way to speak of God must be found.

2. Since God can no longer be conceived in theistic terms, it becomes nonsensical to seek to understand Jesus as the incarnation of the theistic deity. So the Christology of the ages is bankrupt.

3. The Biblical story of the perfect and finished creation from which human beings fell into sin is pre-Darwinian mythology and post-Darwinian nonsense.

4. The virgin birth, understood as literal biology, makes Christ's divinity, as traditionally understood, impossible.

5. The miracle stories of the New Testament can no longer be interpreted in a post-Newtonian world as supernatural events performed by an incarnate deity.

6. The view of the cross as the sacrifice for the sins of the world is a barbarian idea based on primitive concepts of God and must be dismissed.

7. Resurrection is an action of God. Jesus was raised into the meaning of God. It therefore cannot be a physical resuscitation occurring inside human history.

8. The story of the Ascension assumed a three-tiered universe and is therefore not capable of being translated into the concepts of a post-Copernican space age.

9. There is no external, objective, revealed standard written in scripture or on tablets of stone that will govern our ethical behavior for all time.

10. Prayer cannot be a request made to a theistic deity to act in human history in a particular way.

11. The hope for life after death must be separated forever from the behavior control mentality of reward and punishment. The Church must abandon, therefore, its reliance on guilt as a motivator of behavior.

12. All human beings bear God's image and must be respected for what each person is. Therefore, no external description of one's being, whether based on race, ethnicity, gender or sexual orientation, can properly be used as the basis for either rejection or discrimination.

(John Shelby Spong, from the Wikipedia page.

If there really is no room for that sort of understanding within the existing churches (and it seems that that is the case), then we hyper-liberal "Trans-Christian" heretics will have to start our own.

But, if we start with these ideas as a foundation, how would such a church actually operate? What would these starting points lead to in terms of church order, worship practices, music, liturgies, baptism, communion, evangelism, outreach etc? Would it still look like a church service?

[ 16. December 2010, 12:14: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Radical Whiggery for Beginners: "Trampling on the Common Prayer Book, talking against the Scriptures, commending Commonwealths, justifying the murder of King Charles I, railing against priests in general." (Sir Arthur Charlett on John Toland, 1695)

Posts: 3193 | From: Scotland | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unitarian Universalism?

--------------------
Some say that man is the root of all evil
Others say God's a drunkard for pain
Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden
Was burned to make way for a train. --Josh Ritter, Harrisburg

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Remind me not to sign up for it - sounds ghastly!

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What is wrong with the Unitarian-Universalists?

They are like the Rodney Dangerfield of religious groups. They just can't get no respect. Liberals in mainline denominations keep pretending they don't exist and insisting on trying to make their own denomination into what the UU's have already created. They've even got a respectable history. We've had more Unitarian presidents than Roman Catholic presidents.

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Back to the point, I think the problem of working from this aspect of Spong's work is that he's working mostly from via-negativa. He's describing what his vision of a Church isn't:
quote:
We don't believe in God as commonly understood.
We don't believe in the incarnation or the authority of any tradition.
We don't believe in the biblical narrative.
We deny the virgin birth and Christ's divinity.
We deny the reality of biblical miracles, or indeed any miracles that break the commonly understood laws of nature.
We deny theories of sacrificial atonement.
We deny the bodily, historical resurrection (though it's possible to see it differently.)
We deny the ascension.
We deny the moral objectivity of any written text.
We deny the power of prayer to accomplish any particular thing.
We deny any moral system that employs guilt.
We deny the rejection of any person based on external descriptors, and so we affirm the universal image of God.

Most of that only says "we are not this." There are only a few hints at positive statements (a metaphorical read of the Resurrection and a robust Imago Dei,) though I think there are some other implicit ones hidden as well (for instance, the infallible authority of the scientific method.)

The challenge is to discern what "we" are. Creeds are positive statements. Until you can figure out what you actually believe in, trying to develop any consistent practice is going to be impossible.

Figure out what your telos is, and the rest will follow. I'm not sure Spong has worked out what he wants the Church to be besides something that isn't the "traditional" church, granting that I haven't read him in a while.

--------------------

Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, one would gather with others I suppose. But there could be no cross. On the other hands, there could be as many religous symbols as one could find; but all in good taste; no velvet Guadalupes of or Indonesian shrunken heads, of course. Must be very WASPish.

Since theism as defined by Spong is dead and prayer is useless, the could be no prayer of any kind, unless that were interpreted as exhorting others "to be the best you can be." I suppose hymns could not be sung, unless they were about self-esteem or some such topic.

There most likely would be a Sharing of the Peace. The congregants could pass each be given an authentic Native American Peace Pipe and each one a recyclable lip thingy, so as not to put one's lips where others have been, and take a long pull on the unlit pipe, (smoking being very declasse) and pass it to the person on one's left, (to the right implies heterosexist, racist and right-handed normativity. What is sinister is good!

There is no life after death, so any members in mourning have to be told to buck up and get used doing without.

The members could volunteer or a floral society or a library as a part of parish outreach, but not tell people why.

So they could gather,sing a song about self-esteem, discuss an inspirational quote from a non-DWEM (dead white European male), pass a sanitised pipe around, and make plans to do non-offensive voluteer work.

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
PhilA

shipocaster
# 8792

- Posted      Profile for PhilA   Email PhilA   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bullfrog,
I don't think not quite knowing exactly what you are is a weakness, in fact, I think it's a strength.

You have to start from somewhere and saying 'we are not this' is a starting point you can work from. A lot of the Mitzvot is about showing how 'we' are different from 'them' and things like not eating pork, not having idols etc. are about showing how distinct the Jews are from the other ethnic groups. A lot of this is in saying 'we are not like this because...' and Spong is at that starting point.

--------------------
To err is human. To arr takes a pirate.

Posts: 3121 | From: Sofa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PhilA:
Bullfrog,
I don't think not quite knowing exactly what you are is a weakness, in fact, I think it's a strength.

You have to start from somewhere and saying 'we are not this' is a starting point you can work from. A lot of the Mitzvot is about showing how 'we' are different from 'them' and things like not eating pork, not having idols etc. are about showing how distinct the Jews are from the other ethnic groups. A lot of this is in saying 'we are not like this because...' and Spong is at that starting point.

If memory serves, about half of RamBam's listing of the 613 mitzvot are positive statements. FWIW

--Tom Clune

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spong teaches his theology as though it were taught by the whole Church, which clearly it isn't. Assenting one's own personal opinions instead of teaching the Faith, is not what a bishop is for.

--------------------
Joyeuses Pâques! Frohe Ostern! Buona Pasqua! ¡Felices Pascuas! Happy Easter!

Posts: 1946 | From: Surrey UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

quote:
Bullfrog,

There's strength in limited uncertainty, but I think it becomes a weakness when there's nothing certain. And Jews do have positive practices: "We keep kosher, we keep the sabbath, we cover our heads, we practice charity, we go to synagogue every week or as we can" etc. Also, negative things are stronger when the things that they are against are very prevalent. Nudism is pretty meaningless in a society that generally doesn't wear clothes to begin with. If nobody ate pork by nature, then "We don't eat pork" becomes a meaningless descriptor.

If you can't answer the question "who would you be when all of your (metaphysical) enemies are ground to dust beneath your feet," then success will kill you.

Spong, to my eyes, still relies on the orthodox Church to define him as a "heretic." Other than that, he's practically invisible against the larger backdrop of dominant secular humanism. If the Church he reviles disappeared from all time tomorrow, what would he have left to do? If someone could answer that question, then I think they could also answer RadicalWhig's.

--------------------

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
originally posted by Mama Thomas:
So they could gather,sing a song about self-esteem, discuss an inspirational quote from a non-DWEM (dead white European male), pass a sanitised pipe around, and make plans to do non-offensive voluteer work.

[Overused]

Yep...Unitarians. Perhaps a politically correct Lion's or Rotary Club?

--------------------

Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

quote:
Originally posted by Beeswax Altar:
quote:

[Overused]

So, this is the answer to "What is wrong with the Unitarian Universalists?"?

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

[Overused]
Amen!

quote:

I was addressing a Rotary breakfast the other day. Grace was given before the meal. "For what we are about to receive may we be thankful."

Hmmmm.

May the life lessons of collective human consciousness guide you this day and always. Amine.*

*adopting the Māori transliteration to avoid any mmmzzconceived** implication that the Aramaic contains any masculist implications.

**the dreadful sexist implications of the traditional prefix are simply unthinkable.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

No, I enjoy attending meetings of the UU Fellowship far more than attending Rotary or Kiwanis. The former are more interesting people. The latter have more members. Perhaps, the UU's need to meet less frequently, on weekdays, during lunch, at a restaurant or country club. Rotary at least requires attendance at the meetings and all of them charge dues.

--------------------

Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

So, is comparing RadicalWhig's adaptation of Spong's vision to the UU a fair comparison?

I'll admit it was my first thought, but looking at these responses, I'm starting to question...

--------------------

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

I'm only familiar with three or four UU fellowships. They are unified in what they don't believe. What they don't believe is orthodox Christianity. How would a Spongite church be different from the UU?

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are there religious groups in India that are united in their non-belief in Hinduism?

Is atheism a religion after all?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What would a "Spongite" Church be like?

(IMO) Boring. [Snore]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

I think what Spong is trying to construct is a religious atheism within a culturally Christian context, so you can have the utility of Christian praxis without the intellectual burden of Christian dogma or the shame of Christian history.

Though at the moment I'm wondering what RadicalWhig thinks of all of these comparisons...

--------------------

PaulBC
Shipmate
# 13712

- Posted      Profile for PaulBC         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RadicalWhig:
quote:
Twelve points for Reform:

1. Theism, as a way of defining God, is dead. So most theological God-talk is today meaningless. A new way to speak of God must be found.

2. Since God can no longer be conceived in theistic terms, it becomes nonsensical to seek to understand Jesus as the incarnation of the theistic deity. So the Christology of the ages is bankrupt.

3. The Biblical story of the perfect and finished creation from which human beings fell into sin is pre-Darwinian mythology and post-Darwinian nonsense.

4. The virgin birth, understood as literal biology, makes Christ's divinity, as traditionally understood, impossible.

5. The miracle stories of the New Testament can no longer be interpreted in a post-Newtonian world as supernatural events performed by an incarnate deity.

6. The view of the cross as the sacrifice for the sins of the world is a barbarian idea based on primitive concepts of God and must be dismissed.

7. Resurrection is an action of God. Jesus was raised into the meaning of God. It therefore cannot be a physical resuscitation occurring inside human history.

8. The story of the Ascension assumed a three-tiered universe and is therefore not capable of being translated into the concepts of a post-Copernican space age.

9. There is no external, objective, revealed standard written in scripture or on tablets of stone that will govern our ethical behavior for all time.

10. Prayer cannot be a request made to a theistic deity to act in human history in a particular way.

11. The hope for life after death must be separated forever from the behavior control mentality of reward and punishment. The Church must abandon, therefore, its reliance on guilt as a motivator of behavior.

12. All human beings bear God's image and must be respected for what each person is. Therefore, no external description of one's being, whether based on race, ethnicity, gender or sexual orientation, can properly be used as the basis for either rejection or discrimination.

(John Shelby Spong, from the Wikipedia page.

If there really is no room for that sort of understanding within the existing churches (and it seems that that is the case), then we hyper-liberal "Trans-Christian" heretics will have to start our own.

But, if we start with these ideas as a foundation, how would such a church actually operate? What would these starting points lead to in terms of church order, worship practices, music, liturgies, baptism, communion, evangelism, outreach etc? Would it still look like a church service?

This sounds like he knows what he doesn't believe in. So what does he believe in ? This wopuld a church that needs not to exist lets all meet on the 1st hole of a golf club instead. No I do not think Spong's system has a chance in (fill in blank) of succeding . [Smile] [Angel]

--------------------
"He has told you O mortal,what is good;and what does the Lord require of youbut to do justice and to love kindness ,and to walk humbly with your God."Micah 6:8

Posts: 873 | From: Victoria B.C. Canada | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
PhilA

shipocaster
# 8792

- Posted      Profile for PhilA   Email PhilA   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bullfrog.:
Also, negative things are stronger when the things that they are against are very prevalent.

I would imagine that believing in a physical existent God is fairly prevalent in the church.

quote:
If you can't answer the question "who would you be when all of your (metaphysical) enemies are ground to dust beneath your feet," then success will kill you.
I utterly agree. That's probably what killed Jesus off.

quote:
Spong, to my eyes, still relies on the orthodox Church to define him as a "heretic." Other than that, he's practically invisible against the larger backdrop of dominant secular humanism. If the Church he reviles disappeared from all time tomorrow, what would he have left to do? If someone could answer that question, then I think they could also answer RadicalWhig's.
That's a poor argument. IF the church wasn't around then the argument was utterly null and void in any case. Spong is pushing against the church because he believe the church has lost its way. If te church wasn't there, then he wouldn't have to push.

--------------------

Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think what Spong is trying to construct is a religious atheism within a culturally Christian context, so you can have the utility of Christian praxis without the intellectual burden of Christian dogma or the shame of Christian history.

Though at the moment I'm wondering what RadicalWhig thinks of all of these comparisons...

I just wonder why bother construct anything at all. We already have UU, which as you say is "is a religious atheism within a culturally Christian context, [[with]] the utility of Christian praxis without the intellectual burden of Christian dogma or the shame of Christian history.

Buddhism is an alternative. But for an increasing number of people, sheer and unadulterated secularism suffices nicely. Donate to local,national and world-wide charities. Build the community. Recycle. Volunteer for your politcal party. Plant a community garden. Work with the differently abled.

Who needs to be religious to be good?

--------------------

Waterchaser
Shipmate
# 11005

- Posted      Profile for Waterchaser     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And why is there any value in christian praxis if the doctrine is completely untrue? Why not construct your own teaching about how to live a good life rather than following the teaching of a crucified Rabbi who didn't have the vast sum of knowledge that we have thanks to t'internet.
If on the other hand he was the son of God and our best revelation of God as the New Testment writers claim it makes sense that his claims and teaching about life are more relevent that anything we could construct ourselves.

Posts: 310 | From: Luton, UK | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
how would such a church actually operate?

Would it need to? Why would anyone want to join it? What would be the point? Why bother?

Would it still look like a church service?

No. How does a person worship a God who "can no longer be conceived in theistic terms"? Such a conception is not God.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
PhilA

shipocaster
# 8792

quote:
[QUOTE]Twelve points for Reform:

Agreed. The idea of an existent being floating around in the sky is utter bollocks - and I don't think most Christians believe in that either.

Also the idea that human language can encompass God and we can say anything literal of God is blasphemy. We can't limit God to our little words and ideas.

quote:
Agreed. It follows on from 1. If God is non-real (not 'not' real as in, doesn't matter but 'non-real as in 'non-existent'. Like, my chair exists, but my chair doesn't share the same properties attributed to God. To say God 'exists' is to limit him to the confines of what we say about things that do exist) then the need for an incarnation to explain the historical Jesus event goes away.

quote:
True. The Western idea of a creation which fell from perfection does not work on a historical level. To base the idea that humanity needs saving from something from something that never happened simply doesn't make sense.

quote:
I'm not sure what he means by this, but if you remove the necessity for an incarnate God, then you remove the need for any hooby gooby about his birth.

quote:
Agree. If we are removing some of the OT as 'myth' - not kicking it out of the cannon because we recognise myth as important - hen why not accept elements in the NT as myth too.

quote:
PSA is barbaric and makes God look daft. How it is supposed to be 'just' is anyone's guess.

quote:
I like that way of looking at the res.

quote:
I don't think the idea of heaven being 'up' exists anymore does it? At least, I hope not.

quote:
Agree. The idea of not being able to wear clothing of mixed fibers, that a woman on her period is unclean and if I'm not allowed to have custard on my pud pud after a roast dinner, I might as well jump off a cliff. Mind you, hats not allowed either.

quote:
This one has always got me. If God always does the most holy thing - because he is holy - then asking God to do something he wouldn't otherwise do is asking God to be less than holy. If he is going to do it anyway, what is the point of asking?

quote:
Agree. The idea that the church (of any description) can tell someone they won't get to heaven - in other words, tell God who he can and can't let in to heaven is a liar, madman or moral blackmailer.

quote:
Anyone who disagrees with this will find themselves being called to hell.

Look, we've had threads on all of these subjects in the past 12 months. I can begin to have a dialogue with Spong on this and find out where he draws lines and what he does believe based upon this starting point.

--------------------

Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

quote:
quote:
Also, negative things are stronger when the things that they are against are very prevalent.

I would imagine that believing in a physical existent God is fairly prevalent in the church.

quote:
I utterly agree. That's probably what killed Jesus off.

quote:
That's a poor argument. IF the church wasn't around then the argument was utterly null and void in any case. Spong is pushing against the church because he believe the church has lost its way. If te church wasn't there, then he wouldn't have to push.

Exactly. Believing in God only exists within the church (and in my experience, even there it's pretty thin on the ground these days.) Outside of the church, Spong has nothing new to offer that I can see. That's what I mean when I say he's invisible to secular society. If there's nothing to distinguish him from his culture, then there's nothing to base his new church on. His vision only operates within the church that he blames for being an embarrassment.

If Spong's vision prevails, then the existing church is null and void. He's not "pushing," so much as trying to construct a new church, but without Christian dogma or Christian anything that doesn't comply with the core tenets of secular humanism. To that end he's become a secular humanist who wants, for some reason, to maintain the veneer of a religion without the substance.

As it depends on orthodoxy to define itself here, Spong's church would vanish if it weren't for the existence of the very dogmas he derides. He needs a vision bigger than what is being expressed here, methinks. He says "The Incarnation is out!" So, what does he put in? What is his core dogma?

And that, I think, is what RadicalWhig needs. Church order, evangelism, and outreach are matters of institutional structure. Worship practices, music, liturgies, baptism, and communion are matters of worship practice.

The problem, to me and I think others on this thread, is that all of these are only tools, extensions, and you can't extend your arm until you know where your body is and what you are reaching for. What's necessary is a mission statement (lacking a missio dei, of course [Biased] .)

--------------------

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

That we all bear the image of god?

Only problem is we don't currently have any language for talking about God so we don't really know what it means to say we bear the image of God. Why should anybody care they are made in the image of a God we can't say anything about?

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He's not "pushing," so much as trying to construct a new church, but without Christian dogma or Christian anything that doesn't comply with the core tenets of secular humanism. To that end he's become a secular humanist who wants, for some reason, to maintain the veneer of a religion without the substance.

Quite.

I still can't see why. I can see that if you're a bishop and have lost your faith, you might want to maintain the veneer without the substance. Otherwise presumably you stop being paid. But isn't he retired?

If I didn't believe, I'd have plenty of other things I'd rather do on a Sunday.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You've been spending too much time home w/ the kids when you read this thread title and immediately think of Sponge Bob.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't - but I did think of sponge, babies and bathwater [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My feelings about Spong are mixed. His absolute insistence on equality of all before God, and on the necessity to treat the bible intelligently I thoroughly applaud. Where I have real difficulty is that whenever I read his stuff and try to find a core argument, it seems to dissolve into "liberal" platitudes. Is this just his "pastoral" stuff, or is this all his work?

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
PhilA

shipocaster
# 8792

quote:
Outside of the church, Spong has nothing new to offer that I can see. That's what I mean when I say he's invisible to secular society. If there's nothing to distinguish him from his culture, then there's nothing to base his new church on. His vision only operates within the church that he blames for being an embarrassment.

Is he trying to say anything to the secular society? I thought he was opening dialogue within the church.

quote:
If Spong's vision prevails, then the existing church is null and void. He's not "pushing," so much as trying to construct a new church, but without Christian dogma or Christian anything that doesn't comply with the core tenets of secular humanism. To that end he's become a secular humanist who wants, for some reason, to maintain the veneer of a religion without the substance.
We don't know what he does want or believe in, we only know what he doesn't believe in.

Spong is, IMHO, beginning to open a dialogue, not stating an entire faith system.

All he appears to be doing is saying "look, we don't think in this way anymore." What now needs to be done is discuss in what ways we do think.

--------------------

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

And we get liberal platitudes.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know Spong-ite clergy whose services look like traditional ones. You wouldn't be able to tell unless they told you how Spong-y they were.

A lot of these radical Liberal types are into traditional liturgy and so forth because it's the smile of the Cheshire Cat that's left once you take God (as traditionally understood) out of the equation.

That's how it seems to me at any rate. It may be a reductionist view.

So the answer is: Not very different to some of the churches in your neighbourhood. For all you know they might be Spong-y already and simply going through the motions worship-wise.

[Ultra confused] [Biased]

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

quote:
quote:
Outside of the church, Spong has nothing new to offer that I can see. That's what I mean when I say he's invisible to secular society. If there's nothing to distinguish him from his culture, then there's nothing to base his new church on. His vision only operates within the church that he blames for being an embarrassment.

Is he trying to say anything to the secular society? I thought he was opening dialogue within the church.

quote:
We don't know what he does want or believe in, we only know what he doesn't believe in.

Spong is, IMHO, beginning to open a dialogue, not stating an entire faith system.

All he appears to be doing is saying "look, we don't think in this way anymore." What now needs to be done is discuss in what ways we do think.

I think, in the OP, RadicalWhig was talking about starting a new faith institution and using Spong's quote as some ground rules. I suppose I'm reading Spong through that hermeneutic, which is why I think Spong is lacking. Spong doesn't lay down a sufficient framework for a new religious institution, only the faintest shadow of a possibility, and most of that implicitly rather than explicitly.

So, RadicalWhig is going to need to find some more substance.

--------------------

Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

Or he could just "go through the motions" of liturgy while mouthing liberal platitudes, but to me that doesn't seem convincing.

--------------------

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

If that's all he wants, I can point to a few Episcopal churches that fit the bill already. No need to join the UU's or anything.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Opening a dialogue? Like this:

Spong: Everything you think about God, religion, and Jesus is wrong.

Church: So, um, what is right?

Spong: <silence>

Some dialogue.

--------------------

RadicalWhig
Shipmate
# 13190

- Posted      Profile for RadicalWhig   Author's homepage   Email RadicalWhig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, this thread is very instructive.

If you can't see the Good in Christianity that is left when all that is removed, then you are blind to what really counts.

--------------------
Radical Whiggery for Beginners: "Trampling on the Common Prayer Book, talking against the Scriptures, commending Commonwealths, justifying the murder of King Charles I, railing against priests in general." (Sir Arthur Charlett on John Toland, 1695)

Posts: 3193 | From: Scotland | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

If you can't see the Good in Christianity that is left when all that is removed, then you are blind to what really counts.

When all that is removed, there isn't anything Christian left.

Zach

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

In other words, the good in Christianity isn't from the Christian part but from some other source. In which case, why bother with Christianity? Go straight to the source.

--------------------

Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

quote:

Did you notice my questions? What is "the Good in Christianity" for you?

Clearly define that and the rest will be simple.

[ 27. July 2010, 23:31: Message edited by: Bullfrog. ]

--------------------

Lou Poulain
Shipmate
# 1587

- Posted      Profile for Lou Poulain   Email Lou Poulain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Like others here on the Ship, I've read several of Spong's books. There was a time in my life when I very much needed "Why Christianity Must Change or Die." And I will be ever grateful that the book found me as I was bolting for the church door. But after a while a couple of things happened to me, the first being a personal rediscovery of Jesus, and prayer, and belief. The second was a growing recognition that Spong is caught up in his own form of rationalism.

I confess this, while reading the last Spong book some years ago (before abandoning it half-way through) I harbored suspicions of hypocracy. I finally settled on the idea that Jack Spong can't emotionally follow the path of his true mentor Don Cuppit. Cuppit followed "Sea of Faith" with "Taking Leave of God." I admire Cuppit for his intellectual honesty. I don't think Jack Spong has the stomach to accept the path that his post-theism leads to, and he's caught in a no-man's land, neither here nor really there. Neither faith, nor un-faith. It all feels pretty sad to me.

I went to hear Jack Spong three years ago. I had been looking forward to the lecture, but half-way thru I found myself itchily restless and bored, and by the time he finally finished, I was ready to make an escape.

The tone of that talk confirmed for me my suspicions.

Posts: 526 | From: Sunnyvale CA USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One thing I noticed:

He talks about living in a post-Newtonian universe. Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm terrible at science), but isn't Newton outdated? The idea that the universe operates by fixed and static laws is somewhat discredited, isn't it?

Of course that doesn't mean evidence for miracles, but I'm wondering if Spong's entire scientific mindset is itself outdated?

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:
He talks about living in a post-Newtonian universe. Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm terrible at science), but isn't Newton outdated? The idea that the universe operates by fixed and static laws is somewhat discredited, isn't it?

I don't think so. At the quantum level Newton's laws don't hold, but at the macro level, they are still a useful approximation of the laws of motion for objects moving at way-less-than-light speeds.

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On a vaguely related note, I really don't understand people that claim to believe in God, but say they find the reality of miracles so hard to believe. The virgin birth seems to cause an especial amount of consternation among the lot. Either God is omnipotent and can do whatever He likes, or he ain't. It all seems like an attempt to make God respectable in this rational age of ours. Or maybe I've read too much Kierkegaard...

Zach

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I like Madeleine L'Engle's take (or maybe it's St Clive's) on it -- the one thing that moderns REALLY believe in is sex. Babies without sex, no chance.

--------------------

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The only positive statement I can see in that entire list is that "All human beings bear God's image and must be respected for what each person is."

What else has he left of Christianity besides nice buildings and some uplifting music?

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
The only positive statement I can see in that entire list is that "All human beings bear God's image and must be respected for what each person is."

Which is of course completely meaningless because he doesn't have any definition or even description of "God" (who doesn't exist anyway). He's borrowing the Christian understanding of humans as being made in God's image, while jettisoning the Christian (or as far as I can tell, any) God. It's a conjuror's trick.

--------------------

Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Which is of course completely meaningless because he doesn't have any definition or even description of "God" (who doesn't exist anyway). He's borrowing the Christian understanding of humans as being made in God's image, while jettisoning the Christian (or as far as I can tell, any) God. It's a conjuror's trick.
THAT'S IT, THAT IS IT EXACTLY. Thank you, MT! I have never read such a succinct refution (refudiation?) of Spong's teaching until just now. The argument is over. Spong has lost. You have won.

I sincerely thank you.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  10  11  12 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016