homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: What to play with in church (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: What to play with in church
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A certain thread in Purgatory is very close to triggering a Hell Call. However in an attempt to lighten the mood, whilst also providing a forum for more hellish comment on the subject, I thought we could discuss what we'd like to play with (and have our children play with) in church.

I would like a Wii with a programme that enables you to hold the handsets, and see yourself on screen saying the Mass, doing the hand-waving etc. Something along the lines of Roman Catholic Priest-Hero.

I think this would be entertaining and would also encourage vocations. Any parent, therefore, who encouraged their child to play with this should surely be commended?

Any other suggestions?

[ 18. February 2010, 14:32: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This doesn't belong here. Off to Heaven with yhou

Spike
Hellhost

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh yes. And how about liturgical dressed dolls -male and female priests, monks and nuns. Dressing and undressing them, and mixing up the various items of liturgical wear , albs, stoles, berettas etc - would keep kids happy for hours. And at last we could solve the vexed question of whether religious bods wear knickers or not.
[Big Grin]

(A less expensive version of the game might use paper dolls.) Can't you hear some gleeful athiest in the making squeak up "Look, Mum, Father Fred's wearing a frilly thong!"
[Eek!]

Not to mention "Why are the traditional nuns wearing Moslem veils?"
[Devil]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Although, if Father Fred is anything like Action Man, he will have plastic underpants and No Willy.

"Mummy - why does Father Fred have no willy?" would be a great question to be asked at the top of toddler voice during the Eucharistic prayer...

--------------------

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is this the right time to ask what Pee Wee Herman played with in church?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
"Mummy - why does Father Fred have no willy?" would be a great question to be asked at the top of toddler voice during the Eucharistic prayer...

(

At the risk of going off on a tangent on children's sayings in church, may I say that, in a recent talk on the Ten Commandments, I asked the children in our church what rules existed in their homes. I got the predictable "Homework before television" and "Times for going to bed" etc., but one child said, "Not weeing in the bath"! Fortunately not many people heard it.

Also, many years ago, my nephew - aged about 5 and not familiar with church - was taken to a service of lessons and carols. He enjoyed the congregational music, tolerated the choir ones but found the readings dull. Half-way through the 6th lesson (approximately) he mortified my sister by saying - loudly - "This bit is boring. When are they going to put on the next record?"

Now back to the thread ...)

[ 07. January 2010, 16:17: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Matariki
Shipmate
# 14380

- Posted      Profile for Matariki   Author's homepage   Email Matariki   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Baptist Trainfan said;

quote:
"Not weeing in the bath."
Lord have mercy upon us, and incline our hearts to keep this law.

--------------------
"Nothing we do, however virtuous, can be accompanied alone; therefore we are saved by love." Reinhold Niebuhr.

Posts: 298 | From: Just across the Shire from Hobbiton | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

- Posted      Profile for amber.   Email amber.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
And at last we could solve the vexed question of whether religious bods wear knickers or not.
[Big Grin]

[Eek!] Now that's a question that had never crossed my mind before. And one that will no doubt fascinate me in the next Sunday Service. Oh deary me... [Big Grin]
Posts: 5102 | From: Central South of England | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matariki:
Baptist Trainfan said;

quote:
"Not weeing in the bath."
Lord have mercy upon us, and incline our hearts to keep this law.
and write this wee in the snow, we beseech thee.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And in old news, today, for those on Facebook, you may find some amusement in the group "Worship Team Hero". Which was quite funny, right up until the point someone actually effectively brought it out for real.

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What to play with in church? Why this of course.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or perhaps this or this or this.
And I am so totally ordering one of these!

[ 07. January 2010, 19:16: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Building blocks, Erector sets, Lego, and other building toys, and build churches out of them.

Or altar hardware out of Lego. That'd be cool for a children's service.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tinkertoys!

--------------------

Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Grandmother's Footsteps as they go up for communion.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

quote:
Originally posted by Otter:
Building blocks, Erector sets, Lego, and other building toys, and build churches out of them.

Or build houses with them, with the option of building in the sand tray or on a rock. At the end of Mass, the celebrant pours holy water over the houses and the congregation observe which stand and which fall.

--------------------

Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...Is there a 'children's sayings in church' thread?? If so, I need to add my son's as a 5 year old, totally derailing the minister's 'Talk to young people'

Minister: who is the most important person here?

my son: I am. (deadpan)

Posts: 2138 | From: South, UK | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is what I play with in church. [Angel]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by amber.:
quote:
And at last we could solve the vexed question of whether religious bods wear knickers or not.
[Big Grin]

[Eek!] Now that's a question that had never crossed my mind before. And one that will no doubt fascinate me in the next Sunday Service. Oh deary me... [Big Grin]
You mean that you didn't know that they have to wear them in the correct liturgical colours, with sackcloth knickers for Lent? They come from the special vicar's knickers shop.

-------------------------------------------

Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erroneous Monk:
quote:
Originally posted by Otter:

Or build houses with them, with the option of building in the sand tray or on a rock. At the end of Mass, the celebrant pours holy water over the houses and the congregation observe which stand and which fall.
When oldest son was 5 or so he built an exquisitely elaborate multi-layered lego cathedrral. He proudly showed me each level, showing me where the priests go in, the people sit, etc. Then I asked about the lower level:

"That's the alligator dungeon" he said.
"Alligator dungeon?"
"for the Baal worshippers".

Time to ease of the OT readings I'm thinking....

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

- Posted      Profile for PataLeBon   Email PataLeBon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This thread reminds me that I used to play communion in the shower stall at my house where I grew up.

To this day I don't know why I thought that was appropriate...

--------------------
That's between you and your god. Oh, wait a minute. You are your god. That's a problem. - Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG1)

Posts: 1907 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tilley
Shipmate
# 13687

- Posted      Profile for Tilley   Author's homepage   Email Tilley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
DD builds churches out of the soft toy blocks that are kept in a box in a side aisle. It distracts her from complaining that the choir is too noisy. [Big Grin]

--------------------
My blog

Posts: 257 | From: Australia | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by PataLeBon:
This thread reminds me that I used to play communion in the shower stall at my house where I grew up.

To whom did you give communion? No, wait, I'm sure I don't want to know.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was a little geek; I played with the hymnal. Particularly if the sermon was boring. Needless to say, I got to learn the hymnal pretty intimately.

I would read through all the services we used, as well as the significant number we didn't use. I would read through the Psalms. I would locate my favorite hymns and "sing" them in my head. I would try to work out the foreign language pronunciation of the hymn titles. I tried to see if I could follow the notation or figure out the meter keys.

As I got older, I would take sermon notes for confirmation class. This continued after i got confirmed, only I would use my paper and pen to argue with the Pastor regarding his main points. I still do this. Any time a minister observes me with my head down scribbling furiously after they have said something, they should be worried.

During the service itself, my older sister and I devised a way to communicate with each other using the hymns.

(To the tune of "Ein Feste Burg")

Me: What time do yo-ou think Sun-day School starts?
Sis: E- lev'n O'clock, as u-su-al

You get the idea.

Also, our church usually had slips of blank paper in the pew holders, which I would draw on. I found this to be meditational as well as creatively stimulating.

One last note: Youth Specialties published this little gem. I once lent it to my pastor, with a note asking him to please have it back to me by the next Sunday, as I would undoubtedly need it. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
This is what I play with in church. [Angel]

I had a feeling you might say that.

One of my fellow-altos in the choir makes little boats out of cough-sweetie papers; she had enough to singe the King of Spain's beard until the Altar Guild found them ...

ETA: we measure sermons by how many boats she can make. [Big Grin]

[ 08. January 2010, 01:32: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seems like with a shower stall you'd want to play "Confessional".

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
One of my fellow-altos in the choir makes little boats out of cough-sweetie papers; she had enough to singe the King of Spain's beard until the Altar Guild found them ...

ETA: we measure sermons by how many boats she can make. [Big Grin]

You will now be Quotesfiled!

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh dear - is it going to hurt? [Eek!]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
QJ
Shipmate
# 14873

- Posted      Profile for QJ   Email QJ   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
as a kid, church was tough to endure and i got pinched a lot by mom. they sang "blessed be the tie that binds" and as the third son and plump, the shirts passed down by my skinny older brother had tight collars enhanced by ties that seemed to bind. as a kid i never understood why those ties were blessed.
games for kids
count the heads. take a paper and put columns for the different kinds of heads.
bald heads
toupees count for two
big hair ladies
ladies with mens hair cuts
ladies with wigs
ladies with root growth needing dye.

another bonus game for immediately after church would be to pay out a dime for every hunk of gum pulled off the bottom of the church pews. this could be a once a year game played 6 months away from easter. kind of a gummy egg hunt.

--------------------
QJ

Posts: 111 | From: PA | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I also read hymnals and wrote on slips (I think offering envelopes) in the pews. My sister & I wrote notes back & forth.

This is one more of the many, many reasons churches should have hymnals and not use projectors. Kids can amuse themselves undisruptively with a hymnal; not so much with the projector.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
daviddrinkell
Shipmate
# 8854

- Posted      Profile for daviddrinkell   Email daviddrinkell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A four-manual pipe organ does me all right... [Big Grin]

--------------------
David

Posts: 1983 | From: St. John's, Newfoundland | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Drifting Star:
Grandmother's Footsteps as they go up for communion.

[Killing me] [Overused]

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My father practised his mathematics with the hymnboard.

Then for the older kids there is the long honourable tradition of preacher cricket. Rules vary congregation to congregation but it works on common nuances of the preacher.

For adults who want to spice up the service, there is taking bets on the theme of the sermon. Easier amongst English dissent (where the hymns are chosen to fit the theme) than amongst the CofE where such a link is rarer.

For littlies (those under five) there is how far can I get away from my parents before someone notices and brings me back. Its a form of grandmothers footsteps only the rest of the congregation are grandmother.

For charismatic services there is chorus bingo! With the shout of "alleluia" rather than bingo when all five of your chosen choruses comes up.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

- Posted      Profile for amber.   Email amber.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zacchaeus:
quote:
Originally posted by amber.:
quote:
[Big Grin]

You mean that you didn't know that they have to wear them in the correct liturgical colours, with sackcloth knickers for Lent? They come from the special vicar's knickers shop.

-------------------------------------------

Crumbs, I have a whole new respect for the Bishop's Chaplains and their wardrobe-sorting-out duties [Eek!] [Big Grin]
Posts: 5102 | From: Central South of England | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

quote:
Originally posted by daviddrinkell:

Yeah, but why can't all the children have one, eh?

--------------------

amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

quote:
quote:

I'd recommend a harmonica each. Just the thing for any boring bits...
Presbyopic
Shipmate
# 10596

- Posted      Profile for Presbyopic   Email Presbyopic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a friend of ours in church who sits with his wife directly in front of us every week and draws an very elaborate sketch on his offering envelope during the sermon. The picture is always based on whatever our pastor preaches that day. We, being near him get to see the sketch first during the offering. If you look around during the offering, you'll see other families taking a quick peek at his envelope as the plate passes each week.
Posts: 699 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Panda
Shipmate
# 2951

- Posted      Profile for Panda   Email Panda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the chapel where we went for a summer camp each year there was a stained glass window facing me with diamond-shaped panels, and I used to see how many larger diamonds I could count - making medium-size ones of 4 panels, big ones of 9 etc. Boring, yes, but when I went back as an adult after several years' gap, I started doing it again almost automatically.

I play with the corners of the service sheet, or if it's getting very tedious, fold them into origami cranes. This attracts attention though, and looks a bit odd if it's my husband preaching.

Posts: 1637 | From: North Wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Presbyopic:
There is a friend of ours in church who sits with his wife directly in front of us every week and draws an very elaborate sketch on his offering envelope during the sermon. The picture is always based on whatever our pastor preaches that day. We, being near him get to see the sketch first during the offering. If you look around during the offering, you'll see other families taking a quick peek at his envelope as the plate passes each week.

That seems realy cool. Who could complain?

--------------------

ErinBear
Shipmate
# 13173

- Posted      Profile for ErinBear   Email ErinBear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Drawing or doodling is excellent. I did it for years when I was very little, and still occasionally do so (I confess). The church I attend even has blank notepads in the pew for people who want to take notes or children who need to doodle. Good thinking.

As a child I also grew fond of origami. Bulletins are handy for so many things. It is easy to make many squares and if you have memorized a number of origami patterns, you can entertain yourself well and quietly for a good long time. [Smile]

Blessings,
ErinBear

Posts: 2441 | From: California, USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
Benny Diction 2
Shipmate
# 14159

- Posted      Profile for Benny Diction 2   Author's homepage   Email Benny Diction 2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ErinBear:
Drawing or doodling is excellent. I did it for years when I was very little, and still occasionally do so (I confess). The church I attend even has blank notepads in the pew for people who want to take notes or children who need to doodle. Good thinking.

Blessings,
ErinBear

Is the blank note pad ting in pews common to Californian churches? I visited one in Fresno 3 or 4 years ago and there were some pads in the pews there. (Though the sermon was good enough not to require any doodling.)

--------------------
Benny Diction

"The Labour party has never been a socialist party, although there have always been socialists in it - a bit like Christians in the Church of England." Tony Benn

Posts: 859 | From: Home of the magic roundabout | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
daviddrinkell
Shipmate
# 8854

- Posted      Profile for daviddrinkell   Email daviddrinkell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

It's a matter of space - people will clutter up churches with no end of unnecessary stuff.....

--------------------
David

Posts: 1983 | From: St. John's, Newfoundland | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
tiutchev
Apprentice
# 15355

- Posted      Profile for tiutchev   Email tiutchev   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi, I'm new to SoF, this is only my 3rd blog, ist in this forum. I can't go back over 47 pp. to see if the following has been discussed, but am sure it has been: Kate Mosse's "Labyrinth". I found it compelling. Any views?
Posts: 43 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
tiutchev
Apprentice
# 15355

- Posted      Profile for tiutchev   Email tiutchev   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooops! I meant my blog to go to "Which book are you reading?" - have not yet mastered navigation of this site. Sorry.
Posts: 43 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

- Posted      Profile for PataLeBon   Email PataLeBon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Originally posted by PataLeBon:

To whom did you give communion? No, wait, I'm sure I don't want to know.
To my imaginary friends. [Biased]

And I didn't know what a confessional was at that time, or I'm sure I would have figured out how to play that too.

--------------------
That's between you and your god. Oh, wait a minute. You are your god. That's a problem. - Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG1)

Posts: 1907 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Benny Diction 2:
quote:
Originally posted by ErinBear:

Blessings,
ErinBear

Is the blank note pad ting in pews common to Californian churches? I visited one in Fresno 3 or 4 years ago and there were some pads in the pews there. (Though the sermon was good enough not to require any doodling.)
not ubiquitous, but not uncommon. My church has space for "sermon notes" in the bulletin, which I use for both (notes with a generous amount of doodling or calligraphic flair). I actually do find I concentrate much better that way, even tho the notes are discarded immediately after the church. I also write to-do lists, which helps me stop obsessing on whatever the intrusive thought is ("buy peaches!") so, again, I'm able to concentrate.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

One of my former pastors who'd been raised by missionary parents in China used to doodle Chinese characters during long, boring meetings. He swore he was just writing the alphabet or taking notes, but I suspecting he was actually writing "that is the stupidest idea I ever heard!" or "will that cliffdweller ever shut up?!"

Now we have a lot more native Chinese speakers/readers in the congregation he'd never get away w/ it though.

--------------------

Presbyopic
Shipmate
# 10596

- Posted      Profile for Presbyopic   Email Presbyopic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
quote:
Originally posted by Presbyopic:

That seems realy cool. Who could complain?
Nobody at all. In fact, I've heard the counters have kept every envelope he has ever drawn somewhere in the office for safekeeping. It's the high point of their counting day to come across his offering.
Posts: 699 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by QJ:
as a kid, church was tough to endure and i got pinched a lot by mom. they sang "blessed be the tie that binds" and as the third son and plump, the shirts passed down by my skinny older brother had tight collars enhanced by ties that seemed to bind. as a kid i never understood why those ties were blessed.
games for kids
count the heads. take a paper and put columns for the different kinds of heads.
bald heads
toupees count for two
big hair ladies
ladies with mens hair cuts
ladies with wigs
ladies with root growth needing dye.

another bonus game for immediately after church would be to pay out a dime for every hunk of gum pulled off the bottom of the church pews. this could be a once a year game played 6 months away from easter. kind of a gummy egg hunt.

My vote for best suggestions yet.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
One of my former pastors who'd been raised by missionary parents in China used to doodle Chinese characters during long, boring meetings. He swore he was just writing the alphabet or taking notes, but I suspecting he was actually writing "that is the stupidest idea I ever heard!" or "will that cliffdweller ever shut up?!"

Now we have a lot more native Chinese speakers/readers in the congregation he'd never get away w/ it though.

I used to do this in grad school! Kept a professor of mine from reading my notes over my shoulder, which I found vastly irritating. Which was why he did it, of course.

Thus endeth the Digression.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016