homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » AS: Expressing solidarity with gay shipmates (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: AS: Expressing solidarity with gay shipmates
Mark Wuntoo
Shipmate
# 5673

- Posted      Profile for Mark Wuntoo   Email Mark Wuntoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Am I alone in wanting to express solidarity with our gay shipmates? I have suddenly gone from extreme anger to near tears: having already decided not to respond to any more posts that I find provocative, the latest few are depressing in the extreme - for me, let alone to gay Christians, I suppose.

Some gay shipmates may find this patronising - apologies, if so. Some shipmates appear to me to have been hurt simply because of who they are and to these I simply say 'Peace / Shalom'.

[Votive]

[ 29. March 2010, 21:23: Message edited by: Campbellite ]

--------------------
Blessed are the cracked for they let in the light.

Posts: 1950 | From: Somewhere else. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

- Posted      Profile for amber.   Email amber.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Prayers for all of us who are a bit [Tear] at the moment, yes.
Posts: 5102 | From: Central South of England | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alicïa
Shipmate
# 7668

- Posted      Profile for Alicïa   Email Alicïa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I lurk often and post seldom these days, so I can't say I decide not to post on a given subject as my posting is so infrequent anyway, but sometimes I am astounded by the judgemental and provocative nature from so called Christians. There was a time when I would have got involved instead of lurking on the sidelines and feeling sadness but not expressing it.

Recently some of the posts I have read, with regards to the issue of gay Christian shipmates have been so uncharitable and depressing, so yes.

I'm with you there, and with all of you in my thoughts of and prayers if you need them.

[Votive]

[ 04. January 2010, 10:34: Message edited by: Alicïa ]

--------------------
"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world." Georgia Elma Harkness

Posts: 884 | From: Where the Art is. | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Gallica officinalis
Shipmate
# 3886

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Gallica officinalis   Email Rosa Gallica officinalis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] for my gay shipmates and friends, and especially those who face such bitterness IRL where they cannot simply 'not click on those threads' to avoid it.
[Votive] for the whole Church of Christ, that we may learn to love one another.

--------------------
Come for tea, come for tea, my people.

Posts: 874 | From: The Hemlock Hideout | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mark: No, you're not being patronizing. This gay Shipmate and her partner (with whom I share some of the more outlandish, as well as the more supportive, comments made here) thank you for your kindness and support.

My denomination is currently going through a maelstrom over its recent decision to officially accept partnered gay people into the ordained ministry. Sometimes I read the hateful comments on the ELCA Facebook page and just start crying. Here the ecumenical nature of the discussion tends to diffuse that anger and frustration somewhat -- sort of like the distant relation being difficult instead of one's immediate family -- but it's still often incredibly jarring to see the overt contempt with which some of my sisters and brothers in Christ hold me. So it's a relief to read posts like yours; it really is.

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Mark, I don't find it at all patronising; I think prayerful support is always welcome.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Awww, Mark: You make me feel all cuddly-wuddly inside! Thanks! I've got issues with low blood pressure rather than high blood pressure so maybe I'll venture over and read the posts from the scary homophobes. Then again, do I need any more stress in my life?!

Dumb question. ISTM that mad waves of virulent homophobia seems to come in waves every once in a while, then it sort of quiets down for a while until the next wave appears. Sigh. I notice that happening with the anti-immigrant crap in America, most specifically Georgia, since that's where I live now. And it's always "those people" who are evil: The gays, the Mexicans, the Blacks, those dreadful pagans, those left-handed Godless Communists...

Anyway, thanks for your solidarity.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Prayerful support is indeed always welcome.

One of the most sadenning things for me is to discover how thick-skinned and cynical I've become in 47 years of being a poof for Jesus. These days when I encounter opposition, I drop the rational argument and remind my interlocutor how silly they'd feel in the A&E department having to have a size 9 strappy sandal surgically removed from where the sun don't shine.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I clicked "reply" with a head full of things to say and they one by one hung their heads and slunk away, leaving me only with this writing in the dust and this guy Jesus.

I can only wish God's love to all, gay and straight and in-between, and an apology for anything I have done that made your life(ves) harder.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
ErinBear
Shipmate
# 13173

- Posted      Profile for ErinBear   Email ErinBear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I, too, remember our LGBT brothers and sisters in prayer. I believe so firmly that God's love is for all people. All people.

Blessings,
ErinBear

Posts: 2441 | From: California, USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not patronising at all - thanks very much in fact! [Smile]

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can I join in...
I struggle a bit sometimes as a parent and wonder how best to smooth the way, without creating a problem or issue that doesn't need to exist.

This generation has blurred all the boundaries, and it's hard work to create a new set of norms to live by.

Posts: 2138 | From: South, UK | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Matariki
Shipmate
# 14380

- Posted      Profile for Matariki   Author's homepage   Email Matariki   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mark, Thank you very much. Care, prayer and loving kindness are never patronising. Yyour words are much appreciated. [Smile]

--------------------
"Nothing we do, however virtuous, can be accompanied alone; therefore we are saved by love." Reinhold Niebuhr.

Posts: 298 | From: Just across the Shire from Hobbiton | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

- Posted      Profile for Margaret   Email Margaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone I loved a lot died just before Christmas; he was in his eighties, and gay and a Christian at a time when it was even harder than it is now. He gave up going to church a long time ago, and I'd assumed it was because of church politics (we both left that church for the same reason, but I eventually found another one and he didn't). Since he died it's struck me that he might have feared rejection in a new church because he was gay.

He remained a Christian all his life (he told me once he prayed every day) but never again contributed his kindness and generosity and wisdom to a church community. We all lose out if we drive away our brothers and sisters.

Posts: 2456 | From: West Midlands UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that some of the nicest, best people here are the gay ones, and they certainly have all the support I can give them! Love you all, guys!

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

- Posted      Profile for amber.   Email amber.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Taliesin:
Can I join in...
I struggle a bit sometimes as a parent and wonder how best to smooth the way, without creating a problem or issue that doesn't need to exist.

This generation has blurred all the boundaries, and it's hard work to create a new set of norms to live by.

Yup, agreed. Luckily dear son goes to an excellent Quaker school where they are very accepting of everyone, and he's grown up seeing a variety of different relationships in the world around him. We're able to talk about things in a very sensible way as a result.

God loves everyone. Even bisexual people on the autism spectrum, as I understand it.

Posts: 5102 | From: Central South of England | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rosa Gallica officinalis:
[Votive] for my gay shipmates and friends, and especially those who face such bitterness IRL where they cannot simply 'not click on those threads' to avoid it.
[Votive] for the whole Church of Christ, that we may learn to love one another.

Beautifully put [Votive]

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] I'd run out of candles if I lit one for every gay person who has helped me on my Christian journey. But a few more anyway: [Votive] [Votive] [Votive] [Votive] [Votive] [Votive] [Votive]

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
neandergirl

Opposing the thumb
# 8916

- Posted      Profile for neandergirl   Email neandergirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Echoing RGo, MT, and EB.

May we one day (fingers crossed, very soon) learn to live 'Love God' and 'Love one another'.

--------------------
Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you. Hebrews 13:5 NIV
We come from love, we return to love, and all around is love.
Lord, ease our burdens, give us peace and enable us to do your work. Tree Bee

Posts: 2579 | From: 21218 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Not

Ship's Quack
# 2166

- Posted      Profile for Not   Email Not   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]
Thank you for thinking of this thread. I've just spent Christmas with my friend, who is a gay CofE priest and am still angry and sad at the depth of his hurt at the hands of the church.

For all who persist faithfully in churches who harangue, ignore and reject those they should celebrate, cherish and be thankful for
[Votive] [Votive] [Votive]

--------------------
Was CJ; now Not

Posts: 600 | From: the far, far West | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am another person who would like to express solidarity.

We have some amazing gay people in the church and we would be so much poorer spiritually if we didn't value them for their insights and understandings. The scandal of choosing to judge, when we're told not to and to look at the speck in others' eyes to see that one fault and fail to look at our own logs of failings is failing to be Christian.

[ 04. January 2010, 19:19: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Me too.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And me [Votive]

quote:
Originally posted by Margaret:
He remained a Christian all his life (he told me once he prayed every day) but never again contributed his kindness and generosity and wisdom to a church community. We all lose out if we drive away our brothers and sisters.

And this really moved me. I wonder how many people (not just those who are gay) there are that we have missed out on because they feel (or indeed are) rejected by church.

[ 04. January 2010, 19:35: Message edited by: Yangtze ]

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The homophobia of some Christians makes me ashamed, whereas many gay Christians are inspiring.
[Votive]

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I was sick, I saw my friends visiting me.

If I am in health, my friends rejoice with me.

When they are sick, I visit them.

When they are well, I rejoice with them.

Except I don't notice the "gay" bit. They are friends. God made them as surely as he made me.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yangtze:
And me [Votive]

quote:
Originally posted by Margaret:

And this really moved me. I wonder how many people (not just those who are gay) there are that we have missed out on because they feel (or indeed are) rejected by church.
I think Henri Nouwen said something along the lines of 'No-one has ever left the church because they were loved too much'. The church (at times) has a lot to answer for.

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The hardest part about being a DH Host is having to read all that homophobic 'crap' (a word I only use when circumstances allow for none other!) and being restrained from getting involved. (It is considered undesirable for a host to post on a thread s/he has to host - if I post as a shipmate, I get Louise to host the thread.)

My heart goes out to Christian gays, as it does to all who are abused in any way by self-defined 'christians' when we are commanded to love God and love our neighbour. Our Lord did not qualify that command in any way.

Must try that thought on BMS if/when he returns...

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
PrettyFly

Ship's sunbather
# 13157

- Posted      Profile for PrettyFly   Author's homepage   Email PrettyFly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Wuntoo:
I have suddenly gone from extreme anger to near tears: having already decided not to respond to any more posts that I find provocative, the latest few are depressing in the extreme - for me, let alone to gay Christians, I suppose.

Me, too.

quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
I clicked "reply" with a head full of things to say and they one by one hung their heads and slunk away, leaving me only with this writing in the dust and this guy Jesus.

I can only wish God's love to all, gay and straight and in-between, and an apology for anything I have done that made your life(ves) harder.

Me, too.

[Votive]

--------------------
Screw today. I'm going for ice cream.

Posts: 1797 | From: Where the sun keeps shining and where the weather suits my clothes | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What I wanted to say has all been said, really...

Edited to add - but I still wanted to say it. [Votive]

[ 04. January 2010, 21:10: Message edited by: St Everild ]

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No one should have to put up with the bile and vitriol that has been heaped on GLBT shipmates recently. Sexual orientation should not be used to decide whether someone is a human being and worthy of respect and, let's be honest, common courtesy. [Mad]

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suppose that God loves homophobes despite their homophobia, but I admit that I find them considerably less likeable than gays.

I think this is a valid extension of Gal 3:28 and in its spirit for this situation.

There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female, there is neither gay nor straight – for all of you are one in Christ Jesus.

[ 04. January 2010, 22:59: Message edited by: Latchkey Kid ]

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Blowing the dust off my pink triangle lapel pin... which is gathering dust because I, naive as hell, didn't think it needed to be worn anymore. I thought those questions were settled and we had all moved on. (I have had the luxury of thinking that.) Apparently I was wrong.

Sorry for my complacency.

Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been reading these threads with growing horror. I'm so sorry that some shipmates have had to deal with this crap yet again.

And I weep for my dear friend, a better Christian by far than me, who, as she puts it, is simply 'fed up with being an abomination'.

[Votive]

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Mark and others.

These discussions always wear me down and lead me to question why I am here (both on SoF and in the church) but then a warm hug makes all the difference. Besides, I have tried to give up my faith and God drags me back.

Thanks again all.

--------------------
"Many people say I embarrass them with my humility" - Archbishop Peter Akinola
Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/toujoursdan

Posts: 3734 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What Tony said. I'm so sorry that people have had to put up with so much abuse.

[Votive]

L.

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another way to express solidarity might be to join PFLAG, or to support Straight for Equality and to take their pledge.

I have.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wish I could come up with something half as eloquent as the things that have been said here. I do know that I can't bear to imagine my EfM groups, my parish, my diocese, and indeed, *this* community, without the presence, witness, and ministry of its gay members.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was reluctant to say anything on this thread, as I did not want to appear to be patronising, or indeed isolating our gay* shipmates. But the headline in today's paper, to the effect that a visit by 3 "evangelicals" to Uganda has strengthened the resolve of the government there to impose the death penalty for some homosexual offences, demands that we all express our appreciation of and suport for gay shipmates, gay fellow parishioners and gays generally in our society. In addition, we should publicise our horror that such legislation could be contemplated.

* "gay" includes the entire GLBTQ range of expression.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cottontail:
I've been reading these threads with growing horror. I'm so sorry that some shipmates have had to deal with this crap yet again.
[Votive]

I'm finding it hard to put my feelings into words, so I hope you don't mind if I borrow yours Cottontail.

Also [Overused] for those more eloquent than I who have hung in there, refuting ignorance and hatred.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

Adding my own small [Votive] for those facing "correctional rape" and death in some countries [Tear]
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:

Except I don't notice the "gay" bit. They are friends. God made them as surely as he made me.

[Overused]

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tractor Girl
Shipmate
# 8863

- Posted      Profile for Tractor Girl   Author's homepage   Email Tractor Girl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

[Big Grin]

Another thanks to those have posted affirming LGBT people from a non-hetro shipmate.

I want to [Votive] for those who have been putting the otherside of the argument forward aswell though. Pete's "friends" comment applies to them too. Just as my friends don't look at me in terms of my sexuality I don't look at them in terms of every opinion and biblical interpretation they hold.

Yes people say things that I and others find deeply hurtful, but there needs to be a space for this stuff to be said and debate to be held, (even if it does get circular).

--------------------
Patience, Firmness and Perseverance were my only weapons; and those I resolved to use to the utmost - Anne Bronte

Posts: 1114 | From: The field of life | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dal Segno

al Fine
# 14673

- Posted      Profile for Dal Segno     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

[ETA: I cannot think of anything to add to what has been said but wanted to express support]

[ 05. January 2010, 08:59: Message edited by: Dal Segno ]

--------------------
Yet ever and anon a trumpet sounds

Posts: 1200 | From: Pacific's triple star | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd like to add my best wishes to this list.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I still have to put up with BMS on the Fulcrum forums [Frown]

I hope I've attempted (in my own ham-fisted way) to voice my own objections to the lunacy that broke out. Apologies to my brothers and sisters for any sin of commission or omission.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Everyone else is more able to say what I want to say better than me, but I add a [Votive] for everyone who needs it...

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sorry that I haven't dived into the fray in the recent turmoil, but I know myself, and I'd have likely wound up with a hostly warning because I get so pissed off at such crap. [Mad]

But "Solidarity!"

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mark Wuntoo
Shipmate
# 5673

- Posted      Profile for Mark Wuntoo   Email Mark Wuntoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I have started a thread in Purgatory on this subject, not wanting to derail this one.

--------------------
Blessed are the cracked for they let in the light.

Posts: 1950 | From: Somewhere else. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

- Posted      Profile for Offeiriad   Email Offeiriad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Athrawes:
No one should have to put up with the bile and vitriol that has been heaped on GLBT shipmates recently. Sexual orientation should not be used to decide whether someone is a human being and worthy of respect and, let's be honest, common courtesy. [Mad]

Absolutely agreed: the debating of issues on the boards is one thing, but what has gone on recently has been far more damaging to fellow human beings and fellow Christians.
Posts: 1426 | From: La France profonde | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Expressing solidarity here [Votive]

I am forever grateful for the witness and perseverence of the gay members of my church despite the hierachy's condemnation.

Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016