homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Things I changed my mind about on the SoF (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Things I changed my mind about on the SoF
FatMac

Ship's Macintosh
# 2914

- Posted      Profile for FatMac   Author's homepage   Email FatMac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was perusing the thread about ChastMastr's 3000th posting (congrats) and noticing a few other 3000 club members. I got to wondering whether long exposure to the sometimes impassioned discussion on SoF actually changes people's minds about issues - or is it just a way of sharpening our opinions?

For myself, I think that whereas before coming onboard I would have described myself as a 'hopeful universalist', I now am happier to be more committed to universalism - to say that I believe it to be the truth. But I don't know if SoF actually changed my mind, or simply made me more inclined to speak my mind.

What about others?

[ 19. June 2003, 18:13: Message edited by: Erin ]

--------------------
Do not beware the slippery slope - it is where faith resides.
Do not avoid the grey areas - they are where God works.

Posts: 1706 | From: Sydney | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lifeman
Troll
# 579

- Posted      Profile for Lifeman         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've got to admit to being a bit homophobic - perhaps in part because a whole region of Manchester has been taken over by the gay community. I credit the Ship with making me more tolerant of gays and hopefully more tolerant generally.
barrea
Shipmate
# 3211

- Posted      Profile for barrea     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So far ship of fools hasw not made me change my mind about anything. Only made me more glad for what I know is true, but I am very interested in the discussons.

--------------------
Therefore having been justified by faith,we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.
Romans 5:1

Posts: 1050 | From: england | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has Ship of fools changed my opinion.

Yes.

Once because I intended it to as I knew it was time to but needed to hear uncomfortable voices in order to. This thread is long dead so I will let it remain so.

Yes I have clarified my thinking on how we interpret faith. Must post on "What is truth?" at some stage but need time.

Yes it made me investigate the stance of the Orthodox Church and no the change has not given me a more positive picture.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Basket Case
Shipmate
# 1812

- Posted      Profile for Basket Case   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very interesting question for me, Linzc. Every so often, I will ask myself: Gracia, how well-spent is all the time you spend at SOF?
Since I am very “theology-lite”, I tell myself that I’m getting a free education, but I have a suspicion that it functions for me, after a certain point, as reading can – a passive, safe way of gaining knowledge (even if only about others’ views).

I also like to check in frequently to see if I can possibly call myself “normal”, as that tends to concern me. There’s usually enough honesty here, ISTM, that I am somewhat reassured.

As for changing my mind, no, but I do have better reasons for my beliefs, having thought about others’ posts at length, & I’ve gotten some good referrals to books and teachers.

Posts: 1157 | From: Pomo (basket) country | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
SoF has made me, over the last three years, a lot more knowledgeable about tons of church traditions. It's made me more confident about arguing my point.

It's also made me realise that the more I know about my own traditions abd others, the more sure I am that the theological tradition into which I fell, eight years ago, quite by accident, is utterly the right one for me, notwithstanding its flaws.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Confession

Before I became involved on the Ship I had a very unpleasant stereotyped view of Conservative Evangelical people.

Something that has been great for me is seeing that stereotype broken up and being able to think of the many different people on the Ship with different views to mine whom I like and respect.

I think it has made me a lot more willing to say 'Even if I don't share your views, there needs to be a space for them and recognition for them'.

I think it's made me more willing to think about compromises. There still are things that push all my buttons (bad scholarship in the service of religious ideology [Mad] Prejudice against gay and lesbian people [Mad] ) but I think I find it easier now to recognise that certain views which drive me nuts can be held with integrity by people I respect.

L.

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wood:
SoF has made me, over the last three years, a lot more knowledgeable about tons of church traditions. It's made me more confident about arguing my point.

I would agree with that. I have also been able to find things in these different traditions that have enhanced my own worship and spiritual life.

Before I started reading MW I believed that icons, tat, praying to the saints etc all lead to idolitary. There may be some people who do idolise such things, but they are in a very small minority.

I have had a huge re-think about the sacraments. My beliefs haven't really changed, but I am now able to explain why my beliefs are as they are.

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
marmot

Mountain mammal
# 479

- Posted      Profile for marmot   Email marmot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting question.

I'm not certain I've changed my mind about any big religious issues, but I have been encouraged by some discussions to do my own research on those issues.

And I have been helped over some serious bumps in my journey by those who were able to provide a context for Old Testament stories that were troublesome to me.

One thing I have changed my mind on: the idea that cultural prejudice can be dispelled by talking to each other.

--------------------
Join me in "The Legion of Bad Monkeys"

Posts: 2754 | From: The land of Saint Damien | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a better understanding of various ideas, themes, topics, points of theology, what-have-you. And I can back up my opinions a lot more now.

Hmmm, stuff I have changed my mind on.

Hell.
Tat and liturgy.
Truth and lies.

Viki

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
what Louise said

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a more tolerant, understanding view of more Liberal shipmates. I have a tendency to become too high-minded and lean towards legalism...the ship helps me with that. Ironic since I was the biggest party girl before I knew Christ (and I liked to think she is dead and buried...and my new self is all there...but the old self keeps popping up).

Anyway, I am glad my eyes continue to be opened. People's openess about their struggles and beliefs really help me.

Also learning to talk about my Calivinist views in a way that dodesn't inflame people (trying them out on y'all...various approached) has been helpful.

We live in a very big mystery on planet earth, don't we?

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I cannot say that I have changed anything in my beliefs, but, most definitely, I have found many discussions very stimulating and learnt a great deal from them. For example, I knew practically nothing of the Orthodox until I had Internet access.

One other thing which I learnt was that I am by no means the "Highest" Anglican on earth - quite the contrary. I have had great fun, while learning a good deal, on Mystery Worship.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Posts: 6740 | From: Library or pub | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Freehand

The sound of one hand clapping
# 144

- Posted      Profile for Freehand   Email Freehand   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've learned and changed tons. I came on board from an evangelical background. After a discussion with the Skeptical Atheist and from many other discussions on board I came to the conclusion that there is no rock-solid way of knowing the truth of Christianity (there's always a gap that is spanned by faith whether it be small or great). So the Ship has been a big part of me ditching the hell-fire Christianity that used to lurk under my skin.

Since then, it has been surprising to learn that not all Christians are in a relationship with a dysfunctional god like I was. And it has been great to learn that lots of people have a clear, intelligent, and meaningful basis for their faith even if there always is that gap. This has helped me to continue to take Christianity seriously even though the hell-threatening concept of god really annoys me. And all this helps in my relationship with my wife as she is a Christian.

Agnostically yours,

Freehand

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Refusal to state any belief as definite is central to who I am. This means that I can't actually claim to have "changed my mind" about anything.

Nevertheless, to chime in the accolades of the Ship-Of-Fools, I treasure the variety of insights that have been provided to me here. Many things that didn't even exist for me before have been illuminated here. More importantly, my fundamental dislike of humans has been greatly assuaged by interacting with people here - you've all given me slightly more hope for the future of mankind.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Astro
Shipmate
# 84

- Posted      Profile for Astro   Email Astro   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very similar to what Wood said.

Also I was fairly post-evangelical when I came on board but now realise that it is possible to be evangelical without being anti-interlectual and without taking on the psuedo-evangelical sub culture.

--------------------
if you look around the world today – whether you're an atheist or a believer – and think that the greatest problem facing us is other people's theologies, you are yourself part of the problem. - Andrew Brown (The Guardian)

Posts: 2723 | From: Chiltern Hills | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

- Posted      Profile for Moth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Astro:

Also I was fairly post-evangelical when I came on board but now realise that it is possible to be evangelical without being anti-interlectual and without taking on the psuedo-evangelical sub culture.

I'm very glad about that. I was beginning to wonder if I was the only evangelical in existence who wasn't anti-intellectual and who disliked parts of the 'culture' of evangelicalism. Then I discovered Ship of Fools... [Big Grin]

I'm not sure I've changed my mind about anything yet, but I'm considering certain things. The main problem with belonging to any church is that like tends to gravitate towards like, and it's hard to have a real discussion. The ship has a greater variety of opinions on board than any church I've attended.

--------------------
"There are governments that burn books, and then there are those that sell the libraries and shut the universities to anyone who can't pay for a key." Laurie Penny.

Posts: 3446 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
BigAL
Shipmate
# 750

- Posted      Profile for BigAL   Email BigAL   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Without wanting to sound negative or critical, contrary to most other people I have become less tollerant. I thought that there was little difference between many Christians having never really had a problem at Uni mixing with Baptist, methodists, anglicans and the odd Catholic person. I had come to the conclusion that basically they're mainly alright. One or two oddities but they can be avoided.

Having used the board for about a year or so I have come to a different conclusion. To summarise would be difficult but basically I think your all lost causes who will let anything go even if it is complete rubbish, and you seem to have no respect for the bible.

--------------------
The Bible contains the Answer of that I am certain

Posts: 507 | From: Newcastle, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xavierite
Shipmate
# 2575

- Posted      Profile for Xavierite         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BigAL:
Having used the board for about a year or so I have come to a different conclusion. To summarise would be difficult but basically I think your all lost causes who will let anything go even if it is complete rubbish, and you seem to have no respect for the bible.

We're all lost causes?

Wow.

Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

- Posted      Profile for Ham'n'Eggs   Email Ham'n'Eggs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
BigAl, I am curious to know why, if this is the case, you choose to remain on these boards? [Confused]

--------------------
"...the heresies that men do leave / Are hated most of those they did deceive" - Will S

Posts: 3103 | From: Genghis Khan's sleep depot | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
BigAL
Shipmate
# 750

- Posted      Profile for BigAL   Email BigAL   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

We're all lost causes?

Wow.[/QB]

that's maybe a bit harsh the main problem is sometimes I have problems accepting this is a Christian based board, as some opinions are so far removed from what I understand from the bible.

I'm sure your all lovely people ... I find the board just keeps exposing your "failings" (things I don't agree with... and there are many)

It works both ways you no doubt find me a conservative dinosoar who takes Christianity back into the dark ages!

--------------------

BigAL
Shipmate
# 750

quote:
Originally posted by Ham'n'Eggs:
BigAl, I am curious to know why, if this is the case, you choose to remain on these boards? [Confused]

in the hope of correcting all your basic errors..

--------------------

FatMac

Ship's Macintosh
# 2914

- Posted      Profile for FatMac   Author's homepage   Email FatMac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

BigAL, are you actually J.T. Chick in disguise?
Haw! Haw! Haw!

--------------------

Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
SoF has helped me to gain a more balanced view of Evangelicals throughout the world. And taught me to stop casting them all into the Sydney Diocese basket [Roll Eyes] .

It has also challenged my faith in other respects. And been a support when I felt I was losing it...

Posts: 9515 | From: Delta Quadrant | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Oh, I dunno... I think it's helpful to have a few people around to remind us what it is we're fighting.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

go back and re-read that thing in the Bible about splinters and logs [Roll Eyes]

Being on the Ship has made me:

- More passionate about what I do believe

- Better at arguing what I believe dispassionately (attacking the issue and not the person [Big Grin] )

- More determinded to hang in there

- Helped me learn about different ways of seeing the same thing

- Make friends with people way outside my own tradition

- Able to tidy up busted code [Snigger]

For which I thank God for the Ship on a regular basis [Not worthy!]

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jesuitical Lad:
We're all lost causes?

I am. It'll take a miracle to save me.

Oh wait...

[Big Grin]

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 9515 | From: Southern California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am more committed to universalism (of my own ideosyncratic and pathetic stripe) than before. Also, I am far less likely to visit Florida.

Reader Alexis

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Scot:
quote:
We're all lost causes?

Oh wait...

[Big Grin]

[Snigger]

On a completely unrelated tangent, I discovered a liking for gin [Big Grin] Which I'd never have bothered to develop otherwise.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
We're all lost causes?

Oh wait...

[Big Grin]

Amen. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Narcissism.

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It works both ways you no doubt find me a conservative dinosoar who takes Christianity back into the dark ages!

Heavens, no. For better or for worse, people weren't sola scriptura back in the Dark Ages. [Wink]

As for it "working both ways," one thing I like about the Ship is that for the most part, people of differing views, including "conservatives" with theology not too different from what I imagine yours to be, can discuss things WITHOUT living "in the hope of correcting all your basic errors.." which is actually not what the Ship is for.

The Ship has given me a place to discuss things without knock-down arguments, and know some very nice people, some of whom I've even met in person. While I don't have as much time as I used to, I still want to read and post here.

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Without wanting to sound negative or critical, contrary to most other people I have become less tollerant. I thought that there was little difference between many Christians having never really had a problem at Uni mixing with Baptist, methodists, anglicans and the odd Catholic person. I had come to the conclusion that basically they're mainly alright. One or two oddities but they can be avoided.

Something I would like to change my mind about with the help of Ship of Fools is my attitude towards people who represent the 'Christian' stance of the 'brother' above quoted. But along comes someone like him and blows that one out of the water! Tell me again, Lord, how often should I forgive my brother? Thank heaven it's God's grace we rely upon for our life in Christ, and not this kind of witness to the gospel.
[Disappointed]

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
I am more committed to universalism (of my own ideosyncratic and pathetic stripe) than before. Also, I am far less likely to visit Florida.

I've been shown the downside of Michigan and Indiana... but LA and Sydney are looking better by the thread.
Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What Louise said (again).
Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xavierite
Shipmate
# 2575

- Posted      Profile for Xavierite         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
We're all lost causes?

Oh wait...

[Big Grin]

What, you mean we're not saved by our good works and fervent worship of the Blessed Virgin?

[Eek!]

(Must stop reading Jack Chick threads...)

Brojees
Shipmate
# 3333

- Posted      Profile for Brojees   Email Brojees   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Big Al,

Is the perceived liberalism here truly representative of those who have absolutely no respect for the Bible? Are you judging them too harshly? I am not in any way defending this disrespect for the Bible. I also receive the same perception, to a certain degree. The site does appear quite libertine with many appearing to support each other through inane rationializations of their transgressions.

The sniping and flame baiting tactics as well appear to support your perception. Amazingly there are many tactics used here which are also common to the Internet Infidels site, why I have absolutely no idea.

But then one or two will actually engage in respectful debate and once having done so will reveal a faith that is not readily apparent in their initial presentation. These few seem to merge in well here so I must question the perception I confess I share with you concerning their collective disrespect for the Bible. Could it be that we allow our perception to be driven by one or two more vocal libertine participants and sinfully pass judgement on the rest?

I am learning here, I do not yet know if I am learning for the better or for the worse, but I am learning.

--------------------
Revelations 3:
15. "I know all the things you do, that you are neither hot nor cold. I wish you were one or the other!
16. But since you are like lukewarm water, I will spit you out of my mouth!
17. You say, 'I am rich. I have everything I want. I don't need a thing!' And you don't realize that you are wretched and miserable and poor and blind and naked.

Posts: 155 | From: making disciples of all the nations | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm ...
For me, Ship has simply continued a pilgrimage I began on another internet chat-site. I do think that the internet has opened us all up to Christians from other traditions. I do think that Ship is broader, though. Hence the disquiet that the more fundamentalist Shipmates feel ... hey can these guys really call themselves Christian?! They don't agree with my presuppositions for a start ... [Disappointed]

I suspect the real value of these boards isn't so much that people change their minds so much as think through their faith position contra other competing or conflicting or perhaps even complementary claims.

Hence Liberals learn to respect evangelicals and vice versa.

For me it's made me more tolerant of the more liturgical traditions as well as increasingly intolerant of the naff bits within my own ... but, along with Wood to some extent, appreciative of its particular insights too.

We've a lot to learn from one another.

[Heart]

Phil

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spong

Ship's coffee grinder
# 1518

- Posted      Profile for Spong     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What Louise said, yet again. Greater, though still very limited, understanding of what it is to be Orthodox. I'm not sure it's changed my mind about anything central to faith otherwise, but it's certainly honed some of the duller edges.

--------------------
Spong

The needs of our neighbours are the needs of the whole human family. Let's respond just as we do when our immediate family is in need or trouble. Rowan Williams

Posts: 2173 | From: South-East UK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
BigAl wrote:
...To summarise would be difficult but basically I think your all lost causes who will let anything go even if it is complete rubbish, and you seem to have no respect for the bible.

"We seem to have no respect for the Bible." What an astonishing judgemental thing to see written about about this community! If one didn't know better, one would suspect that you were a Troll, BigAl, bent on nothing more than offending people and getting them to post annoying and unchristian things about you.

And how interesting to see you engaged in a private, condescending conversation with Brojees on a public board. Trolling again, BigAl? Hoping we'll "overhear" and take notice?

And just what does this Bible that you presumably respect more than anybody elso the Ship does have to say about your current behavior?

Oh, excuse me; perhaps in your universe the dicta of Holy Scripture only apply when used against other people. You, of course, have it "written on your heart" and so feel comfortable pointing out the errors of our ways to us.

Then you are surprised when you're treated rudely.

Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brojees, you seem to have been reading a completely different board to me. If you don't mind, I'm going to use your post to illustrate to good things that I've found here.

As has been said by others, this is a site where a wide range of views are represented. Needless to say there have been a few times when people with deeply held but irreconcilable views have engaged in flaming, and sometimes those have resulted in major falling outs with people leaving the Ship. But, generally I'm very impressed by the ability of people here to engage in reasoned debate without resorting to flame baiting or other similar tactics. This has taught me a great deal of respect for people with views different from mine.

I've found that the Ship is a place that complements my evangelical background. I've found here a deep respect for the Bible, though many of the evangelicals I know might find it difficult to see that. I've never seen the Bible as a book that shouldn't be studied with the best tools of academia, and there are people here who have informed me of much of that academic study. Questioning the Bible (and Tradition too for that matter) is the highest respect I can see given to it. There is plenty of questioning here.

I've also found that the Ship is a place where people can be honest about their lives without risking condemnation. People here are very supportive of people needing time to sort themselves out and find what God is calling them too - which may well mean affirming aspects of their lives that some people would consider sinful. I've learnt that there is plenty of room in the Kingdom of God for a wide range of people.

Alan

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You know, Tom, most of the time I feel that way, but when I'm feeling particularly discouraged and unmotivated to do things around here, I invariably run across one of those posts and it renews in me the need for what we do.

I don't pretend that I can overcome the outright hate and bigotry to which some people cling madly. I am content, though, knowing that some lurker might be out there who will see that there really are Christians out there who leave the judging to God.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
iGeek.*

Resident alien
# 3207

- Posted      Profile for iGeek.*   Author's homepage         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Changed my mind? Can't think of anything particular.

Expanded my my mind? Yes, in many ways. It is so cool to be able to receive the perspectives of Catholics, Orthodox, various stripes of protestants and Anglicans and so forth and discover an essential commonality: a desire to live a life pleasing to God. How we figure out WHAT is pleasing and the journeys there and onward is interesting and eddifying.

This place represents what I read Jesus saying in John 17:

quote:

20"My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, 21that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me.

The world sees God through what transacts here. I see God every day in the concern and love expressed here -- even in the heated exchanges.

Blessings,
Mark

--------------------
.sig on holiday

Posts: 702 | From: Hot-on-us, TX | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Big Al and Brojees your behaviour on this forum suggests that you know the Bible well, which is to be commended. Can I suggest that living it as the next step you might find Matthew 7:5 very helpful. Brojees you may condemn flame baiting but unfortunately you have constantly engaged it since you started here, as has Big Al on this thread.

I quite happy to forgive you because I see that you are both young in faith and probably both young in years as well.

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brojees and big al I have called you both into Hell for an apology for your attacks upon all the posters here. I don't think you are up to apologies but then I may be wrong.

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What have I changed my mind on because of my exposure to the SoF?

I am continually reminded that shared experience/culture is more important than shared language for understanding.

I am continually reminded of how parochial my views are--if for no other reason than that I'm confronted with the parochial views of others, and it's easy to conclude that mine are just as stupid as theirs.

I have learned that putting faces to people is very important; that face-to-face interaction is an absolutely critical factor in understanding the humanness of others. I'm less nasty to people I have met and more forgiving.

I have learned that most "faith traditions" consist of 5 parts culture, 4 parts ego, and 1 part God--if you're lucky. I have learned to be forgiving of that and trust God.

I have learned that there is an Absolute Truth, but that God shields us from ever knowing what it is, because it would just give us more reasons to hurt each other. It is a mercy that He refuses to disclose His face to us on a regular basis. And I have learned to be content with that. At least for now.

Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Williams:
Hence Liberals learn to respect evangelicals and vice versa.

Liberals and evangelicals, of course, being the sole inhabitants of the universe?

Reader Alexis
(who is neither)

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
FatMac

Ship's Macintosh
# 2914

quote:
Originally posted by tomb:
I have learned that there is an Absolute Truth, but that God shields us from ever knowing what it is, because it would just give us more reasons to hurt each other. It is a mercy that He refuses to disclose His face to us on a regular basis. And I have learned to be content with that. At least for now.

Great post tomb. [Not worthy!] I have now learned something else on the SoF.

--------------------

Ley Druid

Ship's chemist
# 3246

- Posted      Profile for Ley Druid   Email Ley Druid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't see what's wrong with Florida.
No hay que tenerle miedo a los tiburones.
There are cultures here in which cowardice is not associated with manliness.
The fishing is actually quite good, you just have to use the right bait.

Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
We're all lost causes?

Oh wait...

[Big Grin]

What, you mean we're not saved by our good works and fervent worship of the Blessed Virgin?

[Eek!]

(Must stop reading Jack Chick threads...)

JL, you left out praying to the saints and the possibility of buying our way out of Purgatory with indulgences. Oh. And the cannibalism of the Mass...

Didn't those nuns bring you up right? [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 9515 | From: Delta Quadrant | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
sophs

Sardonic Angel
# 2296

- Posted      Profile for sophs   Author's homepage   Email sophs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've learned that Americans are not nasty people!
Since i was very little i have been brought up to believe that America/Americans we evil...
And i'm gradually learning that not all parents are evil and want to hurt kids, which is a big step for me!

Posts: 5407 | From: searching saharas of sorrow | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016