homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: White Smoke! Discuss the new pope... (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  11  12  13 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: White Smoke! Discuss the new pope...
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So we have a new pope. What will this papacy bring?

[ 18. June 2013, 13:34: Message edited by: Gwai ]

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You're quick off the mark!

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They've picked him, but he hasn't come out yet. I hope for greater ecumenical dialogue between the Roman Catholic Church and Protestants. But I'm just wishing.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My guess is that they'll lead off with some kind of name and identity.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
You're quick off the mark!

Well, it's the age of the internet and I'm watching live footage on the web while hacking in posts on a BB. That's certainly one changed aspect of the world of great interest to the papacy now, I would say. (Not what I do personally... [Biased] The rise of the web.)

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Jon in the Nati
Shipmate
# 15849

- Posted      Profile for Jon in the Nati   Email Jon in the Nati   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Annuntio vobis gaudium magnum...

--------------------
Homer: Aww, this isn't about Jesus, is it?
Lovejoy: All things are about Jesus, Homer. Except this.

Posts: 773 | From: Region formerly known as the Biretta Belt | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting quantum mechanical problem. Inside the Sistine box, they've already picked "Schrödinger's Pope", so the new pontiff's positions are already known (though his momentum may be uncertain). On the outside we've got multiple potential popes, their wave function not having collapsed into Pope and not-Pope.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe his first job is to close the gay sauna that the Vatican recently purchased according to this.

[ETA fixed link, DT, Purgatory Host]

[ 31. March 2013, 17:50: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
CL
Shipmate
# 16145

- Posted      Profile for CL     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Given the speed I'll be shocked if it isn't Scola.

--------------------
"Even if Catholics faithful to Tradition are reduced to a handful, they are the ones who are the true Church of Jesus Christ." - Athanasius of Alexandria

Posts: 647 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Maybe his first job is to close the gay sauna that the Vatican recently purchased according to this.

Cute!

[ 31. March 2013, 17:51: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
True story: I once got into an argument with one of my confirmation kids trying to explain that Schroedinger's cat is a thought experiment about the quantum level of existence, and that an actual cat in the experiment would certainly be dead, even if no one looked.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was very exciting to see the white smoke, to hear the cheering and the bells. One could be forgiven for thinking, earlier in the day, that the new pope was called Jonathan Livingston Seagull, and there would be much in his story to inspire a new pope.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
True story: I once got into an argument with one of my confirmation kids trying to explain that Schroedinger's cat is a thought experiment about the quantum level of existence, and that an actual cat in the experiment would certainly be dead, even if no one looked.

Ummm, no. The whole point of the Schrödinger box is that it's only fatal to the cat 50% of the time. It's the uncertainty that the thought experiment is supposed to illustrate.

--------------------

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm hoping it will be Malcom Ranjith.
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was very taken with that seagull.

An image of the Holy Spirit?

[Angel]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it halftime? Why is there a marching band?

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jon in the Nati
Shipmate
# 15849

- Posted      Profile for Jon in the Nati   Email Jon in the Nati   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The seagull got there at about 5:40 Rome time, and within twelve minutes had a Twitter account.

@SistineSeagull. What a time to be alive.

[ 13. March 2013, 18:42: Message edited by: Jon in the Nati ]

--------------------

Posts: 773 | From: Region formerly known as the Biretta Belt | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What, flies in and craps all over the place (or worse)? Maybe not....

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
I was very taken with that seagull.

An image of the Holy Spirit?

[Angel]

Seems a more apt image for a church that characterizes itself as "fishers of men" than an herbivore like a dove.

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

Don't be silly. Everyone knows seagulls are Unitarians. Everyone.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bloody hell that was quick - now watching BBC new live *crosses fingers*

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
What, flies in and craps all over the place (or worse)? Maybe not....

Well, doves do exactly the same, but the crap tends to pile up in one place! (I know, I used to keep them)

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm watching "Russia Today" but they haven't mentioned it yet. Anyway, whoever he is, I'll always have a deep respect for Joseph Ratzinger.

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Posts: 2080 | From: Leicester | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Betts:
Anyway, whoever he is, I'll always have a deep respect for Joseph Ratzinger.

Ditto.
Desert Daughter
Shipmate
# 13635

- Posted      Profile for Desert Daughter   Email Desert Daughter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ditto

--------------------
"Prayer is the rejection of concepts." (Evagrius Ponticus)

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Commentators are properly babbling about bugger all.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Jon in the Nati
Shipmate
# 15849

Oh yeah, this is bad coverage. EWTN is just as annoying as the secular media, but at least the EWTN people know what they are talking about. The CNN folks were blathering about how soon major changes to church teaching could occur, should the new pope wish it. These people are truly living in a fantasy world.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Papal Bunga Bunga party in the Cafe. Should you wish to join. We all agreed it will be Berlusconi.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:

You're not wrong. One of the commentators actually just said "Well John, we don't really know anything about anything". Can't argue with that.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Betts:
I'm watching "Russia Today" but they haven't mentioned it yet...

They have now, and yes, you're right Doublethink - however, they've told us that the name will be announced imminently.

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Posts: 2080 | From: Leicester | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

They have been saying that for about half an hour now.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
quote:

You're not wrong. One of the commentators actually just said "Well John, we don't really know anything about anything". Can't argue with that.
It's a phenomenon more common in sports broadcasting than in news, where the commentators have keep commenting regardless of whether anything is actually going on or not. For an extended stoppage in play they can go off on some pretty weird tangents.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
quote:

It would have been a little more dignified if they had done a bulletin then played some appropriate liturgical music - and just let the scrolling across the bottom of the screen give the basic info.

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

Now.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

That Cardinal Deacon doesn't look well.

Woot, Brazilian Cardinal ! With a new name !

(First Jesuit ever elected they're saying.)

[ 13. March 2013, 19:14: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The crowd didn't seem to happy then.

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

Jorge Maria Cardinal Bergoglio! Francis I! A Jesuit!

Wow.

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

Well, congrats to our RC friends.

--------------------

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

A Jesuit, oh no! A bedrock of scholasticism and modernism.
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Oops - Argentinian.

--------------------

Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For whatever reason I feel positive about this decision. Can't say why, maybe it's just because I have a soft spot for the Jesuits.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes - my tutor at university was an ex-Jesuit, one of the cleverest men I've ever met.

A few firsts here - haven't had a Jesuit pope before, or a south American, nor a Pope Francis. Fingers crossed that the church is in safe hands now.

ETA I don't think anyone saw this coming.

[ 13. March 2013, 19:21: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Oops - Argentinian.

Having spent some time with a number of Argentinians, they wouldn't have let you get away with that without comment. They don't lack for national esteem... [Biased]

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Presumably naming himself after this guy.

--------------------

New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

- Posted      Profile for New Yorker   Email New Yorker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
First Argentinian pope.
First South American pope.
First Jesuit pope.
First Francis.

Anyone know how he stands on liturgy?

Posts: 3193 | From: New York City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothiriel
Shipmate
# 15561

- Posted      Profile for Lothiriel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He looks terrified.

But better now that he's talking.

[ 13. March 2013, 19:25: Message edited by: Lothiriel ]

Posts: 538 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Someone struggling to translate the lord's prayer !

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:

Ummm, no. The whole point of the Schrödinger box is that it's only fatal to the cat 50% of the time. It's the uncertainty that the thought experiment is supposed to illustrate.
Actually, the point is that on the macro scale, this doesn't happen. But if this was on the subatomic scale, the "cat" would be both alive and dead.

On the macro scale, the cat is most certainly either alive or dead, if you were to conduct the experiment. On this scale, the quantum effects do not work. Any you would be in trouble with the RSPCA.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

What is a plenary indulgence ? (Impressed with the shout out to twitter.)

--------------------

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
Jorge Maria Cardinal Bergoglio! Francis I! A Jesuit!

Wow.

Francis I -- already he's a blessing to Catholic school children everywhere.

I think he has a kind face. I'm verklempt.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  11  12  13 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016