homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: CPAS = GAFCON? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: CPAS = GAFCON?
Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

- Posted      Profile for Edward Green   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have just received and email from John Dunnett, General Director of CPAS*, encouraging me to sign up for the Fellowship of Confessing Anglicans+.

I must admit I am suprised. I thought they were a fairly moderate open Evangelical agency with some good leadership resources.

Have I missed something?

*An Anglican Mission Agency

+(GAFCON Suporters Club)

[ 15. June 2016, 18:45: Message edited by: Belisarius ]

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IIRC, the CPAS has the patronage of many CofE parishes. This is a worrying development: it's my considered opinion that the FCA are schismatic, and if the CPAS are getting into bed with them, it doesn't bode well for the future.

edited to add: The CPAS nominate for 500 benefices.

[ 19. June 2009, 14:45: Message edited by: Doc Tor ]

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ender's Shadow
Shipmate
# 2272

- Posted      Profile for Ender's Shadow   Email Ender's Shadow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Doesn't surprise me - the history of CPAS is to be conservative evangelical, so the fact that they are encouraging involvement with FCA is not really a surprise. You're also confusing 'Open Evangelical' with Liberal; when push comes to shove Open Evangelicals will be allies of GAFCON, not PECUSA. And the shove HAS come; the failure of the liberals to restraint the adoption of blessing of gay nuptials and the attempt to exclude certain bishops from ordained status has triggered the final break.

--------------------
Test everything. Hold on to the good.

Please don't refer to me as 'Ender' - the whole point of Ender's Shadow is that he isn't Ender.

Posts: 5018 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
+Chad

Staffordshire Lad
# 5645

- Posted      Profile for +Chad   Author's homepage   Email +Chad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I got the same "Meet the FOCAs" e-mail.

And I thought it was just for me. [Tear]

Given what you, and I (and no doubt many others) perceived CPAS to be, sending the e-mail with the CPAS signature block is quite a smart move, don't you think? [Biased]

--------------------
Chad (The + is silent)

Where there is tea there is hope.

Posts: 2698 | From: The Backbone of England | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Would you, if possible, please post the text of the email invitation. It would be helpful to be dealing with sources. I've received an invitation via Reform (note: I'm not a member), but I'd be interested to see how CPAS sees FOCA.
Posts: 6976 | From: Southampton | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

- Posted      Profile for Edward Green   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ender's Shadow:
'Open Evangelical' with Liberal; when push comes to shove Open Evangelicals will be allies of GAFCON, not PECUSA.

This might be hard to believe but I know plenty of Evangelicals who are Gay. And plenty of people who retain an Evangelical identity who are open on the issue. Most of them describe themselves as within the Open Evangelical tradition.

I might get hanged, but the text of the e-mail is here:

quote:
Last week I was present at a meeting of the Church of England Evangelical Council at which the forthcoming Fellowship of Confessing Anglicans day (6 July) was discussed. All of us who were present were asked to help raise awareness of the event and to encourage as many as possible to attend – hence this email.

For those of you unsure as to the purpose of FCA and this gathering, my understanding is as follows. It offers a cross-party forum for those concerned to preserve orthodox faith and doctrine, a committedly Anglican framework for addressing the issues of the times and a means of demonstrating support for those in other parts of the Communion who are being persecuted because of their stand on matters of historic faith and understanding.

FCA is a movement for orthodox Anglicans – organised by evangelicals, Anglo-Catholics and charismatics. FCA wishes to maintain unity and is avowedly not separatist.

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
when push comes to shove Open Evangelicals will be allies of GAFCON, not PECUSA.

Fulcrum, which is broadly representative of the Open Evangelicals in the CofE, is loyal to the ABofC. The same ABofC that GAFCON and FCA are trying to dethrone. There is no love lost there at all...

I don't speak for Fulcrum, but I don't think I'd be far wrong in saying that the OEs are much more likely to side with the CofE liberals (who want to remain in the CofE as it stands) than the CofE CEs (who don't - either leaving or molding it in their own image).

FCA is importing an argument we in the CofE simply don't need to have, and therefore there's no need for the FCA to organise within the CofE.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Ender's Shadow
Shipmate
# 2272

- Posted      Profile for Ender's Shadow   Email Ender's Shadow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
FCA is importing an argument we in the CofE simply don't need to have, and therefore there's no need for the FCA to organise within the CofE.

Ah - so it's OK for PECUSA to pick off orthodox parishes in the US... 'They came for the Communists but I wasn't a communist...' We know that liberals can't be trusted - they've proved that with their resort to institutional power to enforce their new doctrines having grown within the church because they weren't similarly treated when they proposed such things from a position of weakness. Which is why Evangelicals have always defended the patronage system with the CofE despite its illogic in theological terms; it allows us to get on with the real work of the church in the parishes [Yipee]

--------------------
Test everything. Hold on to the good.

Please don't refer to me as 'Ender' - the whole point of Ender's Shadow is that he isn't Ender.

Posts: 5018 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Fool on Hill
Shipmate
# 12183

- Posted      Profile for Fool on Hill     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the idea of sides doesn't do justice to the nuances of Fulcrum's position, which seems to me to be to maintain an evangelical witness within the Church of England without ripping it apart.

Graham Kings has written extensively on this - see the Fulcrum website for details.

--------------------
God appointed a worm that attacked the bush so that it withered.

Posts: 171 | From: Berkshire | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jon G
Shipmate
# 4704

- Posted      Profile for Jon G   Email Jon G   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I got one as well

I'm a bit disappointed with CPAS, as I use their resources (though they're not as good as they used to be - what happened to their confirmation stuff?).

As a high Anglican, I do not see Forward in Faith as orthodox Anglo-Catholics as the letter suggests. More as protestant schismatics in tat.

I've half a mind to send them an arsey email in reply.

Any suggestions what to put in it?

--------------------
At the dark end of the street

Posts: 182 | From: Newcastle west | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

- Posted      Profile for Arrietty   Author's homepage   Email Arrietty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is this necessarily a personal endorsement?

quote:
All of us who were present were asked to help raise awareness of the event and to encourage as many as possible to attend – hence this email.
seems to imply that he's sent it because he was asked to as a member of that committee. Encouraging 'as many as possible' to attend could just mean that he's circulating it so that anyone who might want to go has heard about it. It doesn't mean he's going to be out flogging tickets in his spare time.

I guess the only way to find out would be to ask him.

--------------------
i-church

Online Mission and Ministry

Posts: 6634 | From: Coventry, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon G:
More as protestant schismatics in tat.

Sadly, it's true. One day we'll heal the schism, though, and we can all go Rome Sweet Home.

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
quote:

Ah - so it's OK for PECUSA to pick off orthodox parishes in the US... 'They came for the Communists but I wasn't a communist...' We know that liberals can't be trusted - they've proved that with their resort to institutional power to enforce their new doctrines having grown within the church because they weren't similarly treated when they proposed such things from a position of weakness.
The problem with this conservative interpretation of the goings-on in ECUSA and in Canada is that if you repeat it often enough and it becomes the truth. Alternatively, the 'orthodox' have removed themselves, engaged in border-crossing shenanigans and attempted to remove property that the courts are clearly deciding doesn't belong to them.

If the FCA were simply up to expressing solidarity with those who, for one reason or another, feel alienated from their national anglican church, that would be one thing. But it goes much further than that, with becoming confessional rather than creedal, with taking the authority of the GAFCON council rather than their own Primate, and other innovations that would lead to a narrow, intolerant, Biblicist church that will inevitably split repeatedly into pro and anti-OOW, Real Presence vs Memorialism, presbytarian vs episcopal, etc...

The CofE is a broad church. Most of us like it like that. Most evangelicals like it like that, too.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

FreeJack
Shipmate
# 10612

- Posted      Profile for FreeJack   Email FreeJack   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would want to know how much this is Dunnett's personal opinion, and how much this is the view of the wider staff, directors/trustees at CPAS.

If he is acting on his own initiative, it could get rather interesting. A lot of neutral open evos will be extremely annoyed about all this. There were changes at CEEC not so long ago in not so dissimilar circumstances.

Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arrietty:

quote:
All of us who were present were asked to help raise awareness of the event and to encourage as many as possible to attend – hence this email.
seems to imply that he's sent it because he was asked to as a member of that committee.
Not knowing the personalities involved at all (being an American) the passage Arrietty quoted seems extremely well-written if the author wished to let each reader see in it what he or she wishes to see.

It reminds me of my favorite compliment when I have to say something nice to an organist who played like a pig--"You've done it again! We've come to expect no less from you..."

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
+Chad

Staffordshire Lad
# 5645

- Posted      Profile for +Chad   Author's homepage   Email +Chad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

quote:
seems to imply that he's sent it because he was asked to as a member of that committee.
And if it had just gone to people with some connection to CPAS I might agree.

It appears that this has gone as a 'round robin' to all and sundry, carrying the CPAS signature block to cash in on CPAS's reputation.

I think he may have done that reputation some harm.

--------------------
Chad (The + is silent)

Where there is tea there is hope.

Posts: 2698 | From: The Backbone of England | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
pete173
Shipmate
# 4622

- Posted      Profile for pete173   Author's homepage   Email pete173   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wasn't at the meeting of CEEC in question, but I can imagine that all present would have been asked to give a plug to the FCA launch. All John Dunnett will have done is go home and action it. There's no particular politics lurking behind this from his point of view, even though there may be politics behind the launch of FCA. CPAS will just have seen it as a way of promoting evangelical Anglican solidarity and fellowship. Which some may see as a tad naive.

The basic narrative that runs in evangelical Anglican circles in the UK is this. "Lots of those who are being pushed out of ECUSA and Canada are our mates (either because they came from here, or because we've met them on the circuit). Most of the stories we hear about ECUSA, New Westminster and the rest are bad news (including Buddhist Bishops, open communion for the unbaptised, non-orthodox sub Trinitarian liturgies, etc.) In particular, shoving Jim Packer out was a move of the greatest stupidity and crassness."

[Normal parishes and churches aren't much into the politics of the Anglican Communion and whether it stays together or sinks. Fulcrum's nuanced stuff is only of interest to Anglican Communion trainspotters].

"Therefore sod ECUSA and Canada, and let's support a movement that is recognisably where we're coming from in terms of biblical understanding, credal orthodoxy, and commitment to evangelism and mission".

You may not like that fairly unsophisticated approach, but that's where people are at. Of course, some of the main protagonists in Reform and elsewhere would like to provoke a rumble with their diocesan bishop or with Rowan, or both. But that's not basically where the average evangelical Anglican parish is coming from. They just want to get on with the job of worship and mission; they have mission links with African churches who are part of all this; all the people with whom they identify are on the FCA side of the fence - so, they think "let's give them some support".

They might not find some of the hatchet stuff being said by some of the leaders of FCA in the UK very palatable. And they won't necessarily see it as an alternative Anglican Communion in waiting.

But of course if the stories of what's happening across the pond proliferate, and if the same sort of stuff were to happen here, some of those parishes might be sorely tempted to jump into FCA.

Hope that helps you get inside the mind-set.

--------------------
Pete

Posts: 1653 | From: Kilburn, London NW6 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grammatica
Shipmate
# 13248

- Posted      Profile for Grammatica   Email Grammatica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the interests of accuracy, I've committed a slight edit on Bishop Pete's post:

quote:
The basic narrative promoted by extremist evangelical Anglicans in the UK is this. "There are a few schismatic members of parishes and dioceses in the US and Canada who have attempted to transfer, uncanonically and irregularly, the buildings and property of their parish or diocese to an overseas bishop or province. Of course they knew that both the canons and the longstanding practice in all Anglican bodies required them to seek permission first of the competent authorities, but they chose, for their own reasons, to disregard both the canons and the practice that prevails throughout the Anglican Communion. Evangelical extremists misrepresent this sad episode, for their own ends, as one of faithful Christians under persecution by nasty libruls.

Extremist evangelicals also promote a large number of distorted and sometimes downright false stories about ECUSA and the Anglican Church of Canada, including the one about the "Buddhist bishop." Thew Forrester, about whom these stories circulate, is not a bishop at all, his election having been refused consent by a majority of TEC's Standing Committees, but not on the grounds that he was a Buddhist. That's a deliberate misrepresentation of his interest in the techniques of Zen meditation, an interest shared by Thomas Merton and others.

Extremist evangelicals have gotten away with such misrepresentations, because the reflex anti-Americanism of so much of the British Establishment ensures that their stories are listened to greedily, with itching ears. [See Ruth Gledhill, passim.] And now your home-grown extremists are about to bring to the Church of England its very own schism, because when push came to shove, you wouldn't do what the extremists told you to do, and kick all the North American libruls out of the Communion. Well, the road to salvation doesn't lead through Canterbury, ha ha!"

Our schism in North America was brought on by our leaders' complacent refusal to take the mutterings of a few extremists seriously. Your schism in the Church of England has been brought on by the joy with which you listened to stories of Those Awful Americans.

Hope you enjoy it as much as we have!

Posts: 1058 | From: where the lemon trees blosson | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged
pete173
Shipmate
# 4622

- Posted      Profile for pete173   Author's homepage   Email pete173   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think you're free to make your own post on these matters, but not to represent it as though you were re-quoting my post. By all means tell the story from your own point of view, but don't make it look as if it's my post you are "editing".
Grammatica
Shipmate
# 13248

- Posted      Profile for Grammatica   Email Grammatica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Bishop might instead have addressed the substance of my post. Am I to infer that he cannot?
Posts: 1058 | From: where the lemon trees blosson | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mike T
Apprentice
# 12620

- Posted      Profile for Mike T   Email Mike T   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
CPAS aims to work across the evangelical spectrum - on the Trustee body (which I'm on) we have folk who would align with Reform, New Wine & Fulcrum as well as a number who would simply see themselves as evo (without an identifying adjective!). From the beginning, our aim has been to take the gospel to everyone, with a single eye to the glory of God. That remains true today. As such, given that GAFCON draws together a signficant (and probably growing) number of evos, from both conservative & charismatic streams (amongst others) then drawing attention to it, as John has done in his email, is not about endorsing all that it stands for (we haven't discussed what we think about that - I suspect we would have similar differing views as Trustees that mirror the wider evangelical debate) but is about seeking to work to draw evangelicals together, and encouraging them to listen to one another (we're not so good at that much of the time). That may indeed be seen by some as a tad naive, or even foolishness - but I believe that the imperative of the gospel demands it. And yes, where the gospel is being inhibited (as is the case over the pond) then I suspect support for FCA may become increasingly attractive to many who are not interested in some of the political chunterings that apparently emanate from some sections of the GAFCON constituency.
Posts: 20 | From: London | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That has reassured me. My fellow-anglo-catholics may be surprised to learn that I have friends who work for the CPAS - they would either have nothing to do with GAFCON or have never heard of it.

From what they tell me, CPAS does a very good job, particularly in youth work.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
pete173
Shipmate
# 4622

If you read what I wrote, rather than trying to "edit" [what an arrogant word] it into what you wanted it to say, you will see that I was attempting to explain how it is that evangelical Anglicans on this side of the pond see the situation. I was neither aligning myself with the views, nor was I attempting to say whether they were my views. I'm well aware of the mainline ECUSA take on all this; I'm less sure that Shipmates have understood the way in which those who are not FCA or GAFCON supporters might view the situation.

I'm happy to engage with your views (which I don't happen to share), but I'm not happy for you to pretend that I'm a student whose post needs editing or correcting.

[ 20. June 2009, 16:31: Message edited by: pete173 ]

--------------------
Pete

Fool on Hill
Shipmate
# 12183

- Posted      Profile for Fool on Hill     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Personally, I think the Bishop has tried to tell the story from a particular perspective to try to help us to understand the position from which an email like this can be written.

My question on the email I received is about the phrase 'avowedly not separatist' - there are too many of these rather closed internal discourses at the moment, which don't sound convincing to those outside - because it seems from outside that this is a separatist move, and that the number of organisations is increasing (Reform, Anglican Mainstream, FCA) without any real sense of why another one is needed.

--------------------
God appointed a worm that attacked the bush so that it withered.

Posts: 171 | From: Berkshire | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Grammatica, your analysis might hold more water if the evos here were indeed the 'extremists' trying to push their agenda. The reality from where I'm typing is it seems to me that it is the johnny-come-lately of liberal theology that is trying to pose its own agenda, and the evangelicals are just staying right where we've hitherto been, and that is what makes the likes of FCA (dangerously?) attractive to some...

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grammatica
Shipmate
# 13248

Odd, Matt Black. I was under the impression that Biblical inerrancy, "Signs and Wonders" Pentecostalism, and Young Earth Creationism were 19th century innovations. Augustine, as we know, wrote against the last of these; the second was universally condemned by Church Fathers and authorities, and the first -- well, no one read anything in its "literal and grammatical sense," detatching meaning from its community of interpreters -- until Modern times.

St. Paul's endorsement of marriage was at best tepid, and the Primitive Church much preferred celibacy to heterosexual activity. Marriage has been one of the Seven Sacraments in the Catholic Church since the Middle Ages, but the Anglican Church held in the Thirty-Nine Articles and again in the Lambeth Quadrilateral that only two Sacraments were instituted by Christ and necessary for salvation. So the emphasis on heterosexual intercourse in marriage as the foundational sacrament, instituted at the Creation, which characterizes modern Evangelical theology, is historically odd to say the least.

If Right-Wing Modernists want to fight to control the Church, using the Modernist weapons of PR and mass propaganda, well then, they will, and have, and do. But to pretend that fundamentalist Evangelicans are anything but a Modernist innovation is historically incorrect and warrants correction.

[ 20. June 2009, 16:55: Message edited by: Grammatica ]

pete173
Shipmate
# 4622

Grammatica, please engage your listening skills.

The overwhelming majority of Evangelical Anglicans in the UK are not six day or young earth creationists, or signs and wonders merchants, or inerrantists. They tend to accept evolution, be gently charismatic at most, and accept biblical scholarship. They also tend to be politically middle or left of centre. It would help if you understood the people you were talking about. The debate on this thread is about whether a mainline and well-respected mission agency in the CofE which services parishes of all persuasions should be recommending folk to attend FCA.

--------------------
Pete

sanityman
Shipmate
# 11598

- Posted      Profile for sanityman   Email sanityman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fool on Hill:
Personally, I think the Bishop has tried to tell the story from a particular perspective to try to help us to understand the position from which an email like this can be written.

and personally I think that his perspective is valuable, and turning this thread into yet another FCA vs. anti-FCA slanging match is not. Is there anyone in purg who isn't familiar with the divisive rhetoric on both sides?
quote:
My question on the email I received is about the phrase 'avowedly not separatist' - there are too many of these rather closed internal discourses at the moment, which don't sound convincing to those outside - because it seems from outside that this is a separatist move, and that the number of organisations is increasing (Reform, Anglican Mainstream, FCA) without any real sense of why another one is needed.
It's certainly news to me that Open Evos would see the whole GAFCON thing as a 'cuddly' non-political and non-divisive element. If the narrative is that the only people outside the FCA are the beyond-the-pale heretics, godless liberals and schismatics, then it seems we're badly in need of taking a reality check.

As for the attitude here being fueled by anti-Americanism - huh? AFAICS, any anti-ECUSA rhetoric has been imported from the dissenting elements across the pond.

- Chris.

--------------------
Prophesy to the wind, to the wind only for only the wind will listen - TS Eliot

Posts: 1453 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it not pretty simple in terms of what to do? I would have thought that any mission agency that represents the church should hold a professionalism and represent the whole church. Now if you feel that what they have done is making a clear siding with one element of the church and is a unprofessional and mistaken engagement in church politics, then the answer should be to write to them and let them know, and stop all funding and support until such times as they return to their senses and act in a professional manner.

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
FreeJack
Shipmate
# 10612

- Posted      Profile for FreeJack   Email FreeJack   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mike T:
CPAS aims to work across the evangelical spectrum - on the Trustee body (which I'm on) we have folk who would align with Reform, New Wine & Fulcrum as well as a number who would simply see themselves as evo (without an identifying adjective!). ... As such, given that GAFCON draws together a signficant (and probably growing) number of evos, from both conservative & charismatic streams (amongst others) then drawing attention to it, as John has done in his email, is not about endorsing all that it stands for (we haven't discussed what we think about that - I suspect we would have similar differing views as Trustees that mirror the wider evangelical debate) ...

The issue for me is that the trustees ought to have discussed and agreed it before John wrote his email, if he was going to write it from john@work.com not john@home.com.

Those of us who support CPAS but not GAFCON are likely to support CPAS less as a result, dividing evangelicals not uniting them.

Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

- Posted      Profile for Arrietty   Author's homepage   Email Arrietty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sanityman:
It's certainly news to me that Open Evos would see the whole GAFCON thing as a 'cuddly' non-political and non-divisive element.

I think it's fair to say that some evangelical women clergy, myself among them, would not see anything even mildly 'cuddly' about GAFCON.

However I still don't equate agreeing to publicise something organised by FCA with giving a wholehearted endorsement of everything it stands for.

[ 20. June 2009, 17:40: Message edited by: Arrietty ]

--------------------
i-church

Dubious Thomas
Shipmate
# 10144

- Posted      Profile for Dubious Thomas         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
AFAICS, any anti-ECUSA rhetoric has been imported from the dissenting elements across the pond.

- Chris.

I recall Bishop N. T. Wright linking his critique of TEC with his critique of G. W. Bush's foreign policy, identifying both as examples of American arrogance and unilateralism.* And, as a Canadian living in the United States, I have been struck that the animosity directed against TEC seems much sharper than that directed against the Anglican Church of Canada (even the bishop of New Westminster). Bashing Americans for "imperialism" and "neo-colonialism" just plays better than bashing Canadians with such language.

* The irony was that most of the American "reasserters" (such as the folks at Truro Church) supported Dubya's foreign policy.

[ 20. June 2009, 17:48: Message edited by: Dubious Thomas ]

--------------------
שפך חמתך אל־הגוים אשר לא־ידעוך
Psalm 79:6

FreeJack
Shipmate
# 10612

quote:
Originally posted by Grammatica:

If Right-Wing Modernists want to fight to control the Church, using the Modernist weapons of PR and mass propaganda, well then, they will, and have, and do.

If +Pete is on the right-wing, I hesitate to think where I am!
[Waterworks] [Help]

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

I do have a dog in this fight, having left an enthusiastic GAFCON/FCA supporting church for another which is still evangelical but likes its bishop and enjoys the broad church.

+Pete's analysis of why evangelicals might see the FCA as something to join seems pretty much accurate, but I think there are very good reasons why they shouldn't.

But while evangelicals get their news of these events from other evangelical sources, not the secular media, and certainly not official church sources, they won't question the veracity of some of the 'orthodox' accounts coming out of the ACC/ECUSA splits, which are questionable at best and self-serving fabrications at worst.

And still no-one has adequately explained why the FCA are organising in the CofE.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps the people of this nice missionary organisation ought to check what they're getting into bed with.

The FCA's English promoters, supporters and begetters Anglican Mainstream have hosted and promoted the likes of Joseph Nicolosi and Jeffrey Satinover to push harmful and unscientific notions of 'cure' against gay people - the basis of therapies that can lead to serious mental damage and even death, as people can be driven to depression and suicide.

No ethical group should connect itself with the FCA until they dissociate themselves from this.

L.

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
pete173
Shipmate
# 4622

quote:

And still no-one has adequately explained why the FCA are organising in the CofE.

That's a real puzzle to me. I raised it with the leaders of Reform when we last met. The different explanations seem to be:

1. they just want to rally the troops
2. they're preparing an alternative church in waiting
3. they want to express solidarity with those who are leaving ECUSA/Canada
4. they want to raise profile for what they consider to be a movement within the Anglican Communion
5. they have no confidence in the Anglican Communion process and can see that, sooner or later, provinces, dioceses and churches will start walking from the Anglican Communion
6. they want to precipitate (5) above
7. they want to precipitate a fall-out with their bishop and join an alternative structure in England

It's probably a combination of some or all of these. For my part, I think (5) is probably true, but the CofE isn't broke yet, and doesn't need fixing, even if other provinces are and do. But I suspect that those who turn up at the launch will mostly be at the Reform and FiF end of things. I'd be surprised if it got big support from New Wine or other non-Fulcrumites.

--------------------
Pete

sanityman
Shipmate
# 11598

- Posted      Profile for sanityman   Email sanityman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dubious Thomas:
I recall Bishop N. T. Wright linking his critique of TEC with his critique of G. W. Bush's foreign policy, identifying both as examples of American arrogance and unilateralism.* And, as a Canadian living in the United States, I have been struck that the animosity directed against TEC seems much sharper than that directed against the Anglican Church of Canada (even the bishop of New Westminster). Bashing Americans for "imperialism" and "neo-colonialism" just plays better than bashing Canadians with such language.

* The irony was that most of the American "reasserters" (such as the folks at Truro Church) supported Dubya's foreign policy.

From what I've read of him, +Tom is a considered and nuanced man, and not a rabid anti-American ideogogue. The really nasty stuff I've heard against +KJS I've heard from Americans.

- Chris.

--------------------
Prophesy to the wind, to the wind only for only the wind will listen - TS Eliot

Posts: 1453 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Qupe
Shipmate
# 12388

- Posted      Profile for Qupe   Email Qupe   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Looking at Bishop Pete's list of possible thought-processes behind FCA / GAFCON, the thing that worries me is that no.5 will inevitably become no.6 - i.e. by implying that the time may come when people will feel the need to walk away from the CofE, people will indeed start to feel twitchy - a self-perpetuatng prophecy. And that 'moderate neutral open evos' who value broad church, like myself, will be pressured into moving to a more extreme position. Maybe we need to start up a rival 'Proud to occupy the middle ground' movement...? (only kidding...!)

[ 20. June 2009, 21:00: Message edited by: Qupe ]

--------------------
'Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.'

Posts: 802 | From: Down the road from the chocolate factory | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jon G
Shipmate
# 4704

- Posted      Profile for Jon G   Email Jon G   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pete173
The debate on this thread is about whether a mainline and well-respected mission agency in the CofE which services parishes of all persuasions should be recommending folk to attend FCA.

and also this
quote:
But I suspect that those who turn up at the launch will mostly be at the Reform and FiF end of things. I'd be surprised if it got big support from New Wine or other non-Fulcrumites.
I appreciate Pete173's take on CPAS's approach and I would also like to apologise to Thurible and others for the rudeness of my earlier post.

But to be honest, I was upset by the fact that CPAS would even contemplate putting out an email like this. Everyone knows they are an evangelical organisation, but as Pete173 points out, they are respected across the spectrum of the church for the quality of their resources.

For all Pete173's explanations, CPAS must have known that any perceived support of FCA would alienate many people who themselves identify as "orthodox" Christians in the Church of England.

--------------------
At the dark end of the street

Posts: 182 | From: Newcastle west | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dubious Thomas
Shipmate
# 10144

- Posted      Profile for Dubious Thomas         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
From what I've read of him, +Tom is a considered and nuanced man, and not a rabid anti-American ideogogue. The really nasty stuff I've heard against +KJS I've heard from Americans.

- Chris.

I don't disagree at all with your characterization of the Bishop of Durham. I wasn't accusing him of being "a rabid anti-American ideogogue." I was simply pointing out that someone who IS as "considered and nuanced" as he could easily employ anti-American rhetoric in pursuit of his argument. It is also worth noting that the kind of equation he drew (if I recall correctly) between TEC's ordination of Bishop Robinson and Dubya's foreign policy just wouldn't be drawn by American critics of TEC. The rhetoric about "neo-colonialism" and "imperialism," etc. is coming from outside of the United States, since the American TEC dissidents, being politically right-wing, just don't use this kind of language. "Neo-colonialism" is something left wing American eggheads and Ugandan bishops talk about!

As for the nasty stuff about +KJS, you're quite right, and again, I wouldn't expect such from +Wright or any other English bishop. They are just too polite.

--------------------
שפך חמתך אל־הגוים אשר לא־ידעוך
Psalm 79:6

QuietMBR
Shipmate
# 8845

- Posted      Profile for QuietMBR   Email QuietMBR   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Qupe:
And that 'moderate neutral open evos' who value broad church, like myself, will be pressured into moving to a more extreme position. Maybe we need to start up a rival 'Proud to occupy the middle ground' movement...? (only kidding...!)

Actually, Qupe, I'm a member of TEC, and you've just stated the position I increasingly find myself in. Your tongue-in-cheek comment rings with truth. Perhaps it IS time for those of us, on both sides of the pond, who identify as 'moderate neutral open evos', to remind those who are doing the loudest screaming, that yes, we DO exist, and that we are tired of being beat on by all extremes.

--------------------
"My Jesus would never be accepted in my church...the blood and dirt on His feet might stain the carpets." Todd Agnew

Posts: 298 | From: Middle Atlantic, USA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
AIUI this is what Fulcrum is trying to do in the Church of England
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

quote:
For all Pete173's explanations, CPAS must have known that any perceived support of FCA would alienate many people who themselves identify as "orthodox" Christians in the Church of England.

I'll certainly be asking my CPAS contacts what's behind it and whether it indicates a change of direction from CPAS, but until I've done that I'm assuming it's one person being rather naive rather than CPAS suddenly going off down the FCA track.

I think this does indicate the difficulty of occupying that 'neutral middle ground' that qupe is talking about - it means people from all sides will try and recruit you. There are some things you can't be neutral about, and if you try to be even handed you can end up looking as if you don't stand for anything.

--------------------
i-church

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grammatica:
Odd, Matt Black. I was under the impression that Biblical inerrancy, "Signs and Wonders" Pentecostalism, and Young Earth Creationism were 19th century innovations. Augustine, as we know, wrote against the last of these; the second was universally condemned by Church Fathers and authorities, and the first -- well, no one read anything in its "literal and grammatical sense," detatching meaning from its community of interpreters -- until Modern times.

St. Paul's endorsement of marriage was at best tepid, and the Primitive Church much preferred celibacy to heterosexual activity. Marriage has been one of the Seven Sacraments in the Catholic Church since the Middle Ages, but the Anglican Church held in the Thirty-Nine Articles and again in the Lambeth Quadrilateral that only two Sacraments were instituted by Christ and necessary for salvation. So the emphasis on heterosexual intercourse in marriage as the foundational sacrament, instituted at the Creation, which characterizes modern Evangelical theology, is historically odd to say the least.

Eh? What on earth has that got to do with mainstream evangelicalism?

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

- Posted      Profile for Seeker963   Author's homepage   Email Seeker963   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dubious Thomas:
I was simply pointing out that someone who IS as "considered and nuanced" as he could easily employ anti-American rhetoric in pursuit of his argument. It is also worth noting that the kind of equation he drew (if I recall correctly) between TEC's ordination of Bishop Robinson and Dubya's foreign policy just wouldn't be drawn by American critics of TEC. The rhetoric about "neo-colonialism" and "imperialism," etc. is coming from outside of the United States, since the American TEC dissidents, being politically right-wing, just don't use this kind of language. "Neo-colonialism" is something left wing American eggheads and Ugandan bishops talk about!

As someone with no dog in this fight, as supporter of gay marriage and of the concept of 'married gay clergy' and, as an American, with a bit of understanding of TEC's self-identity....

...I understand the connection that Tom Wright made. TEC gave a direct and firm promise not to do something that they then went ahead and did. And they went ahead and did it as if the decision was of no consequence to anyone else and as if the promise they made didn't really mean anything. It felt a lot like George W's 'Those foreigners don't matter' approach. And there very rarely seems to be any understanding expressed in the TEC that it matters that a promise was made and broken and that people feel that they have been essentially told that they are not even worth keeping a promise. From an African cultural perspective, I can totally understand that, no only do people disagree with the theology, but they feel that they have been told that they are worth less than dirt.

I also understand that, from a TEC perspective, it was probably more like 'We are a liberal denomination and we are here to stand up for liberal Christian values. That is why many of us joined TEC in the first place.'

--------------------
"People waste so much of their lives on hate and fear." My friend JW-N: Chaplain and three-time cancer survivor. (Went to be with her Lord March 21, 2010. May she rest in peace and rise in glory.)

Posts: 4152 | From: Northeast Ohio | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
FreeJack
Shipmate
# 10612

Great post, seeker.

Is the other difference that when the US acts in economic, foreign, diplomatic or military terms - the rest of the world has to listen - to the world's biggest super-power, with its money and weapons? Whereas the US is not the theological super-power, it doesn't have the centres of Canterbury, Rome or Constantinople, it doesn't have Jerusalem, or even Mecca or Medina. It doesn't have the number of believers in Africa or East Asia.

Mike T
Apprentice
# 12620

- Posted      Profile for Mike T   Email Mike T   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I'll certainly be asking my CPAS contacts what's behind it and whether it indicates a change of direction from CPAS, but until I've done that I'm assuming it's one person being rather naive rather than CPAS suddenly going off down the FCA track.
This email should not be seen as an endorsement of FCA - as I said earlier, as Trustees we have not discussed either GAFCON or FCA (tho' I suspect it may well now be on the agenda!) John's email (as he made plain) was simply in response to a general request at CEEC to encourage people to attend (not least, I suspect, to enable them to hear the debate & make their minds up on first hand knowledge). Nothign more than that should be read into it! As he is on CEEC by virtue of being CPAS' GD, it is appropriate that he sent the email out from his work address. What is intriguing is the amount of fear that seems to be around that we are in danger of being 'hijacked'. No chance (by any pressure group!)

[ 21. June 2009, 15:25: Message edited by: Mike T ]

Posts: 20 | From: London | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

quote:
What is intriguing is the amount of fear that seems to be around that we are in danger of being 'hijacked'. No chance (by any pressure group!)

GAFCON did engender a lot of fear - I think partly because unity on the ground is relational, it is hard won and fragile and there's a sense that people in leadership can shatter it for political reasons without even knowing what they're doing.

--------------------
i-church

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
John's email (as he made plain) was simply in response to a general request at CEEC to encourage people to attend (not least, I suspect, to enable them to hear the debate & make their minds up on first hand knowledge). Nothign more than that should be read into it!

If he'd stopped at the first paragraph, I'd agree with you. But to continue:

quote:
For those of you unsure as to the purpose of FCA and this gathering, my understanding is as follows. It offers a cross-party forum for those concerned to preserve orthodox faith and doctrine, a committedly Anglican framework for addressing the issues of the times and a means of demonstrating support for those in other parts of the Communion who are being persecuted because of their stand on matters of historic faith and understanding.

FCA is a movement for orthodox Anglicans – organised by evangelicals, Anglo-Catholics and charismatics. FCA wishes to maintain unity and is avowedly not separatist.

is naively taking the self-declared stance of the FCA at face-value, because evangelicals don't lie to each other or have hidden agendas. Read +Pete's list above. An alternative reading of the FCA might leave some to believe that they are narrow, heterodox, unAnglican, schismatic and avowedly separatist.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

Yes, I agree, that is a one sided acccount of FCA so saying 'this is what I understand it to be' is placing yourself, and the organisation you represent, on that side.

I'm assuming he thought he was being neutral, but calling FCA 'committedly Anglican' does imply a particular view.

--------------------
i-church

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016