homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Child beauty pageants

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Child beauty pageants
kankucho
Shipmate
# 14318

- Posted      Profile for kankucho   Author's homepage   Email kankucho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It appears that the cult of child beauty pageants has arrived on British shores from You-Know-Where. In a couple of documentaries I've seen on the subject (of American child pageants) there seems to have been a substantial correlation between support for such things and active Christianity. I was prepared to believe it was just symptomatic of the Bible-belt communities in which the programmes were filmed, but this quotation (to my mind, highly disturbing) is from a Glaswegian mother involved in the British 'scene':

quote:
'We're born-again Christians, and we believe God has given Madison this path,' she says. 'Before the pageant our church prayed for our heavenly Father to give Madison confidence, that he would make her be pretty and beautiful. We make "believe boards" of our aspirations – Madison has one that says, "I want to be bigger than Kate Moss and Naomi Campbell, and help animals.*
A whole church is supporting one of its flock in this paedo parade??? What's going on? Should Christians have anything to do with this?

[ 29. December 2014, 22:23: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself" – Dr. Carl Sagan
Kankucho Bird Blues

Posts: 1262 | From: Kuon-ganjo, E17 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That all sounds pretty freaky to me, and a sure way to give the child a very strange sense of identity when she's older - whether she wins or not. [Frown]
Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

- Posted      Profile for Moth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Beauty pageants not much to my taste, but I don't see any real harm in them. I certainly wouldn't call them 'paedo parades'. As I understand it, the audiences are usually restricted to the parents and grandparents of the children appearing.

Little girls often do enjoy dressing up and performing. As long as it's something they enjoy, and it means lots of time with their parents, it could even be beneficial. Of course, if some unwilling tomboy is being forced by her over-ambitious mother to do it, that would be a different matter. Is it really any different to children being trained to elite levels in sports, or spelling bees, or maths quizzes?

As for Christian families doing it, well, if they do, they probably do pray about it. We pray at church for our young people's success in exams and other ventures, so why not in a beauty parade?

I found it hard to relate to the mothers I saw in the documentaries I've watched, but no more so than the parents of little boys who take them to play football six times a week, or girls doing gymnastics or showjumping, or dance competitions. It's not for me, but there are far more deprived and abused children than those whose parents are maybe a tad over-ambitious and who have rather tacky taste.

--------------------
"There are governments that burn books, and then there are those that sell the libraries and shut the universities to anyone who can't pay for a key." Laurie Penny.

Posts: 3446 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Children's pageants are of the devil. And I'm not even sure that's hyperbole.

I don't know any positive attributes a child could get from pageants that couldn't be better gotten from children's theater, dance, figure skating, or gymnastics: self-confidence, new skills, dress-up fun, parent/child bonding, whatever. If the parents are that much into getting their kids competitive, there are team sports, too, that at least have a cooperative side to them.

Children's pageants are just narcissism and stage parenting run amok, IMO.

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

- Posted      Profile for Moth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
If the parents are that much into getting their kids competitive, there are team sports, too, that at least have a cooperative side to them.

Oh, I don't know. BC wanted to play soccer when he was about 5 years old. We endured a few weeks of hell standing on the sides of pitches next to the kind of people we usually would pay to avoid. They were shouting at their 5 year-olds to "Get in there! Take 'is legs out! Get that ball off 'im". Then they'd argue all the time with the ref!

I think I'd hate being with the pageant mums just as much, but I couldn't hate it more - it would at least be warm and indoors! Mind you, I suppose the child would at least get fitter playing football.

Based on my class and education, I should have been in extra maths classes and preparing for quizzes with my two, but I couldn't bear that either, so we just went out to the park and for walks. No wonder neither of them made me a fortune as a top soccer star, or a male model, or got into Oxford at the age of 11!

Seriously, I can't help wondering if the disapproval is more of a class thing. Any kind of pushy parenting can be a problem, but then any kind of shared activity can have benefits.

--------------------
"There are governments that burn books, and then there are those that sell the libraries and shut the universities to anyone who can't pay for a key." Laurie Penny.

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Moth said:
quote:
Little girls often do enjoy dressing up and performing. As long as it's something they enjoy, and it means lots of time with their parents, it could even be beneficial. Of course, if some unwilling tomboy is being forced by her over-ambitious mother to do it, that would be a different matter. Is it really any different to children being trained to elite levels in sports, or spelling bees, or maths quizzes?
I think it is (if the British pageants are being run along the same lines as the American ones, which seem to encourage the sexualisation of small girls). Training to elite level in sport has its disadvantages and requires a lot of self-discipline, but also keeps you fit and may lead to Olympic gold (if you're that good). Becoming a whiz at spelling will enable you to amaze your Internet friends with your grasp of language and may lead to better job opportunities in the future (it helps to impress potential employers if your CV has no typos). If you are a genius at maths you will be able to do all sorts of things that I am no good at, such as working out exactly how much paint to buy when redecorating (and you could be an accountant or actuary when you're grown up). What do you get if you're good at beauty pageants? Experience of dressing up, slapping a lot of makeup on your face and marching up and down a catwalk trying to get the judges to notice you; this will stand you in good stead if you want to be a model or a prostitute when you grow up, but isn't much use anywhere else. If you gain some self-confidence that might help, but dance classes would give a similar experience of dressing up and performing. They also keep you fit and at the end of it you know how to do ballet/tap/whatever.

I also find beauty pageants disturbing because I think girls have enough problems coping with social pressure to conform to an unrealistic ideal of beauty without going out of their way to look for more of it. And the Bible is quite scathing (especially in Proverbs) about women who are obsessed with their personal appearance.

On the other hand, I agree with Moth that there's nothing unusual about the family praying for her to do well in her pageants, and little girls DO enjoy dressing up so presumably it's something she wanted to do. I suspect the 'paedo parade' that is exercising the minds of the most cynical among us is below their radar.

Jane R

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hate child beauty paegents. Beauty isn't meant to be competitive.

quote:
Originally posted by kankucho:
"I want to be bigger than Kate Moss and Naomi Campbell"

That wish at least is achievable. Sensible too...

--------------------
blog
Adam's likeness, Lord, efface;
Stamp thine image in its place.

Posts: 4523 | From: Snot's Place | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The quote from the girl who said she wants to be "like Victoria Beckham when I grow up – rich and beautiful" says it all. Hooray for modern culture, where the greatest thing a girl aspires to is being the trophy wife of a famous footballer.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Where's Germaine Greer when you need her?

Jane R

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pooks
Shipmate
# 11425

- Posted      Profile for Pooks     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Children's pageants are of the devil. And I'm not even sure that's hyperbole.

Couldn't agreed more. If I had started this OP, it would have been in Hell. (This is not a criticism of Kankucho, only how I feel about the topic.)
Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
The quote from the girl who said she wants to be "like Victoria Beckham when I grow up – rich and beautiful" says it all. Hooray for modern culture, where the greatest thing a girl aspires to is being the trophy wife of a famous footballer.

The greatest thing some girls aspire to. The ones I know all want to be lawyers and doctors. To be fair to Victoria Beckham, she was famous in her own right before she married David, and by most criteria she has led a successful life. She is beautiful, rich and married with three lovely children. The fact that I wouldn't live her life for all the tea in China doesn't mean that I can't see that her life has probably been good beyond her wildest dreams.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think the bloody things are as common as you (Kankucho) seem to think--I've only ever run into them on TV documentaries, same as you. And yes, [Projectile] .

But as for the so-called correlation with Christianity, remember that these are mocku-mentaries. They're meant to titillate you and give you a righteous feeling of indignation, not to actually educate you or give you real information about How Things Are. Like the History Channel. Great fun if you don't notice all the glaring errors and even deliberate falsehoods.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Right after the death of JonBenet Ramsey, there was a great deal of discussion in America about child beauty pageants. I saw a talk show where there were about five little girls who regularly participated in such pageants. Their mothers were with them. Their ages ranged from four to six.

All but one of the girls made me very uneasy. They held themselves and moved like adult professional models. They showed no spontaneity or emotion. They appeared to be unaware of what they had on. The one who looked like a nice normal child looked down at her dress and stroked it occasionally, obviously pleased. She leaned against her mother's knee and squirmed a few times.

My daughter was watching with me, and we agreed that this child had a good chance for a happy life; the others didn't.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moth:

Seriously, I can't help wondering if the disapproval is more of a class thing.

I don't think it is (a class thing). I think there is clear distinction between encouraging your children to excel at anything where there is a genuine objective measure of success (e.g. sports (winning, improving time), music (playing pieces of increasing complexity) etc etc) and encouraging your children to excel at being beautiful - an achievement for which there is no genuine objective measure of success.

To tell very young children that some people are, objectively, more beautiful than others, as if there were market value to degrees of beauty, like interest rates, or share prices is to tell them a lie. It is not so.

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

quote:
Originally posted by Erroneous Monk:

To tell very young children that some people are, objectively, more beautiful than others, as if there were market value to degrees of beauty, like interest rates, or share prices is to tell them a lie. It is not so.

Really? Cameron Diaz is objectively more beautiful than me. So, for that matter, is Cate Winslett and so are a whole host of other young women, some famous and some not. I have no problem with that, nor with the fact that most (if not all) hetrosexual men would agree with that assessment, including my own husband. There certainly is a market value to beauty, and if I were extraordinarily beautiful I would capitalise on that market value just as I capitalise on my intelligence now. I'd be a fool not to!

--------------------

Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Erroneous Monk:

Really? Cameron Diaz is objectively more beautiful than me. So, for that matter, is Cate Winslett and so are a whole host of other young women, some famous and some not. I have no problem with that, nor with the fact that most (if not all) hetrosexual men would agree with that assessment, including my own husband. There certainly is a market value to beauty, and if I were extraordinarily beautiful I would capitalise on that market value just as I capitalise on my intelligence now. I'd be a fool not to!
I don't agree. We have no idea what we would find beautiful if we hadn't spent our whole lives surrounded by images which we have been told represent "beauty". I come from the very lucky position of being married to a man who regularly and sincerely (indeed, often unprompted) tells me that I am more beautiful than the leading lady in whatever film or TV we happen to be looking at.

I don't even have to look at you to tell you that Cameron or Cate or anyone else is not more beautiful than you. Beauty is not a currency - we are just constantly told that it is, generally by organisations that are trying to sell us something.

--------------------

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, Cameron, Cate and others are rich as a result of their beauty. I'll bet that others, between them, make ten times more out of that beauty.

Cameron and Cate can choose to do what they do (subject to contract). But they are not six, and I'm not sure how much choice some of the children in these pageants get.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't come across this in the UK, but have seen stuff about American parades and JonBenet Ramsey, etc.

There was an article very recently in the Sunday Times magazine about them. The girls were aged 8-10 or thereabouts but dressed like adults. Some of them could have passed for 18-20 year olds (from the photographs, at least). That was very freaky and if that doesn't make them a 'paedo parade', I don't know what would.

Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Dumpling Jeff
Shipmate
# 12766

- Posted      Profile for Dumpling Jeff   Email Dumpling Jeff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In this world there are doers and seemers. The doers get things done. They grow food or think great thoughts. The seemers take credit for the work done by the doers. They seem to be important.
quote:
"Be careful not to do your 'acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven." Mat. 6:1
These parents are teaching their children to be seemers.

Can anyone explain to me how seemers can justify their this? Is this just theft? Or is there something I'm missing? There are too many seemers for them to not serve an important function, aren't there? Perhaps it just seems that way.

--------------------
"There merely seems to be something rather glib in defending the police without question one moment and calling the Crusades-- or war in general-- bad the next. The second may be an extension of the first." - Alogon

Posts: 2572 | From: Nomad | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

- Posted      Profile for amber.   Email amber.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That article in The Times that has been mentioned was chilling. That and so many others show tiny children glammed up with enough makeup to sink a battleship, heads tilted suggestively, posing for the cameras. Endearing when it's young girls playing 'let's dress up' in the safety of a well supervised home. Fresh meat for predators when it's 'sexualised mini models' photographed and paraded for the world to see, as happens stateside and now apparently here too. What ever are their parents thinking... [Tear]
Posts: 5102 | From: Central South of England | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Angel Wrestler
Ship's Hipster
# 13673

- Posted      Profile for Angel Wrestler     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:

Cameron and Cate can choose to do what they do (subject to contract). But they are not six, and I'm not sure how much choice some of the children in these pageants get.

That's what gets me, too.

Of course, I believe that I gave birth to the two smartest and most beautiful Little Angels ever born to womankind, but from a purely Western society POV, LA #2 was an exceptionally beautiful baby, toddler, preschooler, and elementary schooler. She looked like what doll manufacturers model their baby dolls after. Around here, children's pageants are common and are often fundraisers for a particular community organization (which would be a side-bar discussion to the whole thing).

I lost count of how many times we would be out doing our marketing or eating at a restaurant or whatever, and we'd be approached to enter LA #2 in one of those beauty pageants with words to the effect of, "she could win!" Like a 3 year old really knows what a pageant is, or what beauty is... It gives me the heebie jeebies. (and that's not even counting my maternal instinct who thought my little ragamuffin tomboy was cute as the dickens with her messy hair and clothes that couldn't stay clean for 1/2 a day)

That said, if either would have come to me and said she wanted to try to do this (provided they were old enough to make the decision), I'd have let her try it. I don't see myself as being a pageant mom or traveling all over just to enter her into pageants, but for the local ones, I'd let her try.

In a way, I wish I'd have had a way to learn some of that "pageant poise" (Miss South Carolina notwithstanding). I think it could have served me well in many of life's circumstances. Just because girls are in pageants makes them destined to be trophy wives with nary a brain cell.

Posts: 2767 | From: half-way up the ladder | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Angel Wrestler
Ship's Hipster
# 13673

- Posted      Profile for Angel Wrestler     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
sorry; missed edit window.

And I would NEVER have taught them that sexually suggestive behavior or let them wear costumes too mature for their age! (in those local pageants, that sort of thing isn't allowed, anyhow)

--------------------
The fact that no one understands you does not make you an artist.
(unknown)

Posts: 2767 | From: half-way up the ladder | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
To be fair to Victoria Beckham, she was famous in her own right before she married David, and by most criteria she has led a successful life. She is beautiful, rich and married with three lovely children.

Beautiful, rich, married, lovely children: these are the criteria of a successful life?
Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think child beauty pageants are horrible, and the parents involved are insane...narcissitic and absolutely clueless as to how they are sexualizing their children.

Sadly, one of my extended-family in-laws (not to perpetuate a stereotype, but -- product of a trailer park in the rural South) thinks they're swell; and we live in terror that one of these days she is going to start getting her own child, our great-niece, involved in them. We've already had to call her out on posting Facebook pictures of the obviously staged/coached, vamping child, in a state of half-undress. She took the pictures offline, but acted as if WE were the crazy ones. [Mad] I'm tellin' you, I start knocking IQ points off any adults I see connected to this pastime. And God help the children.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Liopleurodon

Mighty sea creature
# 4836

- Posted      Profile for Liopleurodon   Email Liopleurodon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Confused by the notion that this is supposed to boost kids' self-esteem. The notion that you are more valuable based on being the prettiest person in a group (ie. something which you have no kind of control over, and can't get any better at) is not only disempowering to the kid herself. It also encourages some really shitty attitudes towards other kids - and at that age children don't self-censor nearly so much. By the time these girls are in their teens the world will be putting an incredible amount of pressure on them to value themselves based on their looks - and they will never be good enough. Why would you want to start all of that insecurity earlier than necessary? Not to mention the possibility of self-worth and identity going down the toilet at the first outbreak of pubescent spots and greasy hair.

I know you get pushy parents in all kinds of extra-curricular activities, but most childhood hobbies will do something worthwhile for the kid: make them more physically fit, artistically skilled, better at teamwork, more confident... something which will be of some use in itself.

Posts: 1921 | From: Lurking under the ship | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Little Miss Sunshine.

[Killing me]

--------------------
blog
Adam's likeness, Lord, efface;
Stamp thine image in its place.

Posts: 4523 | From: Snot's Place | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fantastic film. I was thinking of referencing it, but as that and pond-war stereotypes represent the sum of my knowledge of these pageants, I thought I'd keep schtum. [Biased]

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That is a great film! And the juxtaposition between the coyly sweet/sexy, grossly artificial routines of the little girls on the circuit and the forthrightly yet innocently sexy "Super Freak" routine her granddad choreographed for Olive is priceless.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
MerlintheMad
Shipmate
# 12279

- Posted      Profile for MerlintheMad         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nobody can tell me what is beautiful. I have been surrounded by media imagry telling me and I mostly don't agree with any of it. Same goes for anybody else. That a significant segment of humanity agrees with the media imagry doesn't alter the fact that MORE people find beauty in a myriad other "looks". Beauty pageants are only catering/appealing to the segment of society which agrees with the media definition of beauty.

It isn't inherently good or evil to hold beauty pageants, just another way to show your quality. Some get all uppity and proud, others remain humble and grateful for their gifts....

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ugh. I hate these pageants. My sister is an organizer of pageants like these. She's always going on about the behind-the-scenes stuff, and it makes me sick to my stomach.

Beauty is an accident, not an accomplishment. Not only does being praised up and down for something you can't honestly take much credit for, it robs you of time and chances to learn and practice skills which might let you make a good living or create sound relationships, etc.

At least sports practice develops strength, stamina, and coordination, even if your obsessed parent is determined to compel you into stardom.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:

This attitude probably explains the popularity of the attitude among certain Christians: beauty pageants uphold what they perceive to be traditional and biblically prescribed gender roles vs. pro-abortion careerist feminism. It also combats what I think has been an old stereotype that Christian girls tend to be wall flowers who take Jesus as their boyfriend because either they can't find a real one or they are afraid to try.

The promotion of titillating tots in a society that obsesses over paedophilia does not surprise James Kincaid. Psychological projection is at work here just as among many homophobes.

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My instinct re correlation between BAC types and child beauty pageants is that BAC evo style churches place a great deal of emphasis on sexual sin.

Now, THE sexual sin, par excellence de nos jours, is, of course, paedophilia. Which is so often found written up in the tabloids, in *misery-porn* novels - for, I suspect, the secret, prurient delight of a large number of their readers.

As Moo linked - go tell the ghost of JonBenet Ramsey these freakin' things are *innocent*

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The sad thing is, these stupid parents would never spend the same amount of time and money and attention in encouraging their girls to excel in academics or athletics. [Mad]

The parents are just tools; "fencepost stupid," as I once heard someone exclaim.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Yerevan
Shipmate
# 10383

- Posted      Profile for Yerevan   Email Yerevan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Where's Germaine Greer when you need her?

Jane R

Indeed. I want feminism back!
Posts: 3758 | From: In the middle | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

quote:
Originally posted by Leaf:
quote:
To be fair to Victoria Beckham, she was famous in her own right before she married David, and by most criteria she has led a successful life. She is beautiful, rich and married with three lovely children.

Beautiful, rich, married, lovely children: these are the criteria of a successful life?
Well, I'd want different things, but it's not a bad start. Most people would (and indeed, do) envy her.

I have no daughters, and wouldn't have put them into pageants if I had. I think they're tacky and shallow. I just don't think they're as evil as some of you make out, or as diffrerent to other activities. I've been to dancing classes where the costumes were designed to make little girls look sexy, and where the competition was vile. Unfortunately, life is a very competitive business, even for the very young. It seems to me that the more they've taken competitiveness out of schools, the worse it's got in the private classes/activities children frequent.

Actually, I wish I had been encouraged to take more care over my looks when I was younger. Being a typical bluestocking, I thought any attention to appearance meant you were shallow and unintellectual. I might have done better in life if I'd learned how to put make-up on well, and how to make the best of my skinny figure. It's too late now!

--------------------

Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

quote:
I might have done better in life if I'd learned how to put make-up on well, and how to make the best of my skinny figure. It's too late now!

I suppose there is a happy medium where one can play the game, as it were, while continuing to mistrust all enterprises that require new clothes. but from your postings you come across as someone who has achieved some great things in life compared to which knowing that this spring we should be wearing red lipstick and nude/beige nail lacquer pale somewhat!

--------------------

sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Returning from a recent play put on a church were parents ooo-ed and arrhed over their offspring, a friend remarked 'it was just sickening baby worship'

A colleague retorted: 'is that what the wise men said?'

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Yerevan:

quote:
Indeed. I want feminism back!
It went away?
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sebby:
Returning from a recent play put on a church were parents ooo-ed and arrhed over their offspring, a friend remarked 'it was just sickening baby worship'

A colleague retorted: 'is that what the wise men said?'

They were worshipping Jesus, not Tiffni.
Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

And it's one thing to coo over a baby, quite another to leer at some pre-pubescent little girl dressed up like a ho, shaking what there is of her "booty" upon direction of an idiot stage mother.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016