homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » SF - Is the church beyond saving? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: SF - Is the church beyond saving?
Dave Walker

Contributing Editor
# 14

- Posted      Profile for Dave Walker   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From Steve's latest column:

Do we, the people on the fringes of the institution, think our job is to feed new people into the beleaguered centre to strengthen it again? Or is the institution beyond saving or not worth saving, and our job is to model ways of living the kingdom of God without it?

Is the church beyond saving? Is it possible to model living the kingdom of God without church? What new 'models' might there be? Is a less institutionalised form of Christianity possible in anything but the short term?

dave

[ 30. April 2003, 19:57: Message edited by: Mrs Tubbs ]

--------------------
Cartoon blog / @davewalker

Adrian
Electric angel
# 298

- Posted      Profile for Adrian   Author's homepage   Email Adrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
i think that living individual lives christian lives is probably more in keeping with peoples lifestyles... but would that be church?

for me, christianity is a community religion. but that's probably my theology - not particularly focused on personal salvation, but a togetherness in god. i see 'the kingdom' as being a great big scrum(?) of people all on the same god vibe, not individuals proclaiming they've been saved and trying to do the same for others.

as for the church as it stands, i think it's gone too far to be redeemed. i'm hoping for some kind of shedding of old skin in which the big institutionalised behemoth of 'the church' will crumble to reveal beautiful little creatures instead. i really can't see any other way forward.

the church is dead, long live the church!

--------------------
www.emergingchurch.info
www.the-scriptorium.org

Posts: 992 | From: sunny scarborough, uk | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This makes me uneasy in that there have been so many attempts by people who think they can do better, and they either shoot up fast only to wither or in time become part of the institution they tried so hard to change. I have seen this happen to many of the housechurches which grew up in the 70's. I have also read many books on how we need to do things differently - they are very good at identifying there is a problem, but I have not found a single book which can come up with a satisfactory solution. So good luck all you alt.worshippers, may one of you find the magic solution. Until then I'm sticking with what I've got. We may not be brimming with 20's to 30's at my church but we are an absolute wow with the over 50's and things are growing all the time. Perhaps the 20's will be 50's one day and mellow into rather liking the ordinary church they once found 'boring'? Who knows.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
blackbird
Shipmate
# 1387

- Posted      Profile for blackbird     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
i think of institutionalized church as a sort of training camp (yikes). certainly a lot of people are very nurtured in that environment so i think it's important to save.

but there are also a lot of people who are not happy doing it that way...i don't really think you stop being connected to a community if you aren't connected to a church...you can still be nourished and enlightened by various sources besides a sermon on sunday, and still try to exhibit the light in your community. you're still encountering people in situations that require you to enact or reject what you claim is your belief structure. what does it take outside the org. church to reinforce that structure is the question.

i think it's unconvincing to suggest people who are not integrally involved in an org. church are misled...any more than we should think that everyone who attends church is right on the mark. it would be nice for there to be more mutual support between the two camps. i don't know why it has to be one or the other.

Posts: 1236 | From: usa | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have found the need to redefine the word Church from what i once thought it was.

Church for me is just christians getting together. It does not matter where, when, how many (or what for really!).

This is church.

Even in the big wide scary secular world people are defining their groups as Church (eg. "Faithless - God is a DJ" - This is my Church...) or people say that a social group or pub has become their church.

When I get together in our small gruop, or all together on Sunday then this is church.

But I also have a network of beliving friends across the city who are also Church to me!

This does not mean that I would stop being "part of my Church", but that I have been forced to think wider than just that.

Neil

Posts: 6009 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

- Posted      Profile for Edward Green   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting.

I have given up on the non-established non-institutional non-ordered church, and have difficulty seeing the point of doing anything outside it.

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

steve collins

Shipmate
# 224

- Posted      Profile for steve collins   Author's homepage   Email steve collins   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
when i [or cathy] say 'institution' we mean an organisation that attempts central control of belief and practice, that accumulates power, property and bureaucracy, the maintenance of which then justify its existence. and the church is not the only such institution that's in trouble.

but community is essential to christianity - the question is, what should the community of communities look like? does it require centralised power structures, or are other things possible [and more in tune with the gospel]? the network seems to be an emerging 21st century form with definite possibilities.

remember, church as institution is largely the legacy of its adoption of roman imperial power structures in the 4th century!

Posts: 287 | From: london | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sakura
Shipmate
# 1449

- Posted      Profile for sakura     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chorister's post reminds me of a story I heard in a sermon recently. I'll be paraphrasing dreadfully, but here goes...

Conversation between Soviet communist party official and Russian Orthodox priest.

Official: "Your church will be extinct in 20 years. Look at your congregations - all old women! When they all die, you will have nobody left."

Priest: "Ah, that's where you're wrong. When those old women die, they will be replaced by more old women!"

I think there is something in that. A youthful membership isn't the only sign of a church's strength and potential for constant regeneration.

--------------------
Keep me as the apple of Your eye.
Hide me under the shadow of Your wings.

Posts: 478 | From: Melbourne | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
chalky

Shipmate
# 143

- Posted      Profile for chalky   Email chalky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
briefly - i think the 'age' thing is a bit of a tangent!

i find myself in substantial (total? do i do that?! i'll have to read it again...!) agreement with the column - and it is about the forms our christian community takes, which really when you strip it all back can be pretty much anything.

if anything, my only difficulty with the column is that i do not share the reaction to institution because the context i am part of is a community of believers who are confident enough to not mind people acting on their 'well, there's no particular reason to do this like that, i'm going to do this instead', and it's still church in a kind of loose not institutional way. stuff i do is part of church only in the sense that i'm doing it and i'm part of church, in particular the retreat a few of us are about to do. it's loosely known about and prayed for and encouraged by my church community as a creative expression of friendships and faith, but nobody has any desire to suck the life out of it by naming it as a Project of Our Congregation. nor would they do that when i go out or stay in with friends. some of my friends think the world of god and some of them don't.

the challenge is framing your expression of church around your life of faith (the 'your' being plural), rather than the other way about. i think that having a go and having that sort of thing in mind is a pretty good way to go. and admitting that all expressions of church are jsut somebody making it up as they go along and hoping for the best. personally i like that.

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know we shouldn't be complacent, but neither should we totally despair. It is worth remembering that churches have recovered from all sorts of terrible times in the past - from persecution and witchhunts, desecration, uncaring absentee vicars,spread of communism, etc. It is a miracle we have got as far as the 21st century. I think there must be something very strong underlying the apparent weaknesses of the church in every generation. (Anyway I feel in the mood for some optimism! )

--------------------

Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

- Posted      Profile for Edward Green   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure the church without the "institution" would even be the church. The church has to be historic, apostolic and catholic in character, because it is a growing living thing.

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

Adrian
Electric angel
# 298

- Posted      Profile for Adrian   Author's homepage   Email Adrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
... i agree with you in theory ed, but the problem is that that you get traditions claiming that only *they* are "historic, apostolic and catholic".

surely any group of christians actually match that crietria? we don't need man-made rules, denominations and ordinations to be one people in god.

--------------------
www.emergingchurch.info
www.the-scriptorium.org

dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Historic" - well, yes, the Church does depend rather on the historical event of Jesus Christ - but are its other historical events absolutely necessary? For example, does it really invalidate the faith of 21st century communties of Christians if circa 1550 a Swedish bishop didn't have both feet on the floor during a consecration or that Benhamin Hoadley was a disgrace to the title of "Bishop"?

Apostolic - all Christians are sent out. The Church is Apostolic by definition. And the amount of "apostolic teaching" is pretty limited (and most of us find ways around it anyway)

Catholic - yse, I believe that all who worship the God of Jesus Christ in sincerity are part of the God's people. So, yes, there is one Church, but there is not (because of human failing and the way organisations work) one institution that can bear that name.

An institution may help in the transmission of these aspects, but it is contingent upon and subservient to them, not a prerequisite.

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
jonny baker
Apprentice
# 1197

- Posted      Profile for jonny baker   Author's homepage   Email jonny baker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
pragmatically i think it helps to have people inside the institutional church both subverting, renewing its imagination, inspiring people etc etc.... AND outside the institutional church. the advantage of having some outside is that you can negotiate much more space to try things out that you can never get away with if you're on the inside. on the oustide if they grow and develop in ways that work/make sense... the way a consumer culture works is that some people on the inside are smart enough to use the outside thing to renew the imagination on the inside. in Grace we're a congregation of a C of E church (i.e. inside), which suits us pretty well. but if push came to shove (e.g. we got a vicar who didn't support what we did) it would be bo big deal to not be linked to the institution.... we'd just carry on probably in a pub or a cafe instead of a church. mmmmmm maybe we should get kicked out????!!!!
jonny

Posts: 11 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

quote:
Originally posted by Adrian:
surely any group of christians actually match that crietria? we don't need man-made rules, denominations and ordinations to be one people in god.

How delightfully Reformed of you. I believe we do, that the Visible Church is a major part of the partnership between man and God.

quote:
Origionally posted by Dyfrig
"Historic" - well, yes, the Church does depend rather on the historical event of Jesus Christ - but are its other historical events absolutely necessary? For example, does it really invalidate the faith of 21st century communties of Christians if circa 1550 a Swedish bishop didn't have both feet on the floor during a consecration or that Benhamin Hoadley was a disgrace to the title of "Bishop"?

I believe thay are absolutely necessary, because I believe the Church is a growing and evolving thing, and those historical events and continuities are a vital part of the Visible churches being. Even the mistakes and major cock-ups. However I am not going to try and apply Modernist understandings to a a mystical idea; so proving a sientific link of touch to the apostles is fairly irrelevent. The idea though, the story is all important.

The Church is so much more than just a group of Christians, trust me on this guys, let me coax you out of reformation based reductionism and restorationism . Sorry if Im too radical

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sacredthree:
The idea though, the story is all important.

Couldn't agree more - so what happens when the Church's story isn't the story Jesus told?

The Church is so much more than just a group of Christians, trust me on this guys

Sounds good - what does it actually mean? The Church presumably is those called out by or gathered around Jesus Christ. What else can they be other than a group of people?

let me coax you out of reformation based reductionism and restorationism . Sorry if Im too radical

Oh dear - I must stop trying to follow Jesus - S3 tells me that's reductionist

--------------------

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cosmo
Shipmate
# 117

- Posted      Profile for Cosmo         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, Jonny maybe you and the group in which you are should be kicked out. The Church of England is NOT a congregational church. If you don't have a vicar who doesn't agree with you it doesn't mean you leave the Church or make him leave unless you don't see yourself as part of the Church anyway. You, as an Anglican, do not tell your Vicar what to do, think or say.

In this diocese there are far too many protestants who claim to be Anglican but seem to have merely a fingertip hold on Anglicanism and simply use the structures of the Church as a simple way of having a building to meet in and having a stipend paid to their 'minister'. The Canons of the Church of England mean nothing to them, the historic formularies, theology and ecclesiology of the Church mean nothing to them and the notion of being part of a catholic church is anathema to them. For instance, the latest thing that these churches are trying to do is get out of paying their Common Fund (the diocesan fund which pays for the clergy amongst other things) because they are then supporting weak parishes who are not 'sound' ie believe in traditional, orthodox Anglicanism. And don't get me started on the evil of Church Plants.

The influence of congregationalist protestantism in the Church of England has increased, is increasing and ought to be diminished.

Cosmo

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo:
You, as an Anglican, do not tell your Vicar what to do, think or say.

So where is the sense of the vicar as servant of the congregation? Or is servanthood not "anglican" either Cosmo?

Jonny - if you had to leave the building, would that make you any less anglican? I don't think so. But does Grace have influence in the church regarding the choice of a new vicar ( i.e. church council representation )? A proper working relationship between the more traditional church and the alternative wings can be very productive to both sides.

In response to the OP, I believe that the church - in the sense of the gathered community of Christians and others - is worth saving, but is only able to be saved by radical transformation. The church of 50 years time in this country will be unrecognisable by current standards, but will still be in continuation of the historic church tradition.

Church history indicates that over most periods of 50 - 200 years, the church changes out of recognition. That is a healthy and positive thing.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dave Walker

Contributing Editor
# 14

- Posted      Profile for Dave Walker   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Cosmo posted forth:
The Church of England is NOT a congregational church.

The influence of congregationalist protestantism in the Church of England has increased, is increasing and ought to be diminished.

Cosmo, could you explain for those of us who are dense at heart and hard of understanding what you mean by a 'congregational' church?

dave

--------------------
Cartoon blog / @davewalker

Adrian
Electric angel
# 298

quote:
I believe thay are absolutely necessary, because I believe the Church is a growing and evolving thing,

evolving according the rules laid down by a few people. what's wrong with evolving into something without formal autocratic structures?

c'mon Ed. you're an anglican. you don't belong to the true church anyway...

--------------------
www.emergingchurch.info
www.the-scriptorium.org

Cosmo
Shipmate
# 117

A priest is not the servant of a particular congregation. A priest is a servant of God and of his Body, the Church. If somebody is the Vicar of a parish he has the cure of souls of that parish (that means everybody who lives there, not just the people who turn up to church) on behalf of the Bishop who, in turn, administers that parish for the wider Church.

Of course the Vicar serves the people in his parish just as he serves the Church. However that is very different from the notion that the Vicar is the servant of a congregation and simply does what he is told to do by them. An Anglican Vicar or Rector is not a chaplain to a particular group of people. He is the priest to all the people who live in that parish on behalf of and with the authority of the Bishop and the Church.

If you are an Anglican and don't like this then tough, because that's what the Anglican Church and the ecclesiology of an Anglican incumbant is. If you can't cope with that then you need to think very carefully about whether or not you should remain in the Anglican Church.

A 'congregational' church is the opposite of the Anglican. It is a group of people who meet in a particular place and ask somebody to minister to them and to no-body else. The Congregational Minister up the road from me has no responsibility to anybody else except the people who turn up to his chapel and pay his wages. If they don't like him, don't like his sermons, his doctrine or even the hymns he chooses, they can dismiss him and appoint somebody else. That is congregationalism, a kind of super-parochialism. The notion of a wider Church is very different here than with the Anglican Church.

The Anglican is not congregational but episcopal. The final authority (and responsibility) in a parish rests not with the worshipping congregation nor with the Vicar but with the Bishop. There are too many Anglican groups which neither understand this or accept it.

Cosmo

Adrian
Electric angel
# 298

quote:
There are too many Anglican groups which neither understand this or accept it.

maybe they'd like to change it.
evolving and all that...

--------------------
www.emergingchurch.info
www.the-scriptorium.org

Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

I think what Cosmo and I are saying is that to us our understanding of The Church is fundamental to our understanding of christianity.

To me, without the Visible Church Christianity isn't the same thing.

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

quote:
To me, without the Visible Church Christianity isn't the same thing.

In all my time in the Church - reformed, evangelical, anglican, orthodox, totally bonkers - I don't recall anyone ever having posited an invisible one! What are you railing against, Edward?

--------------------

Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

quote:
Originally posted by Dyfrig:
What are you railing against, Edward?

I'll tell you when I'm not in such a foul mood.

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

rosemary
Shipmate
# 100

- Posted      Profile for rosemary   Author's homepage   Email rosemary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm inclined to think that the church will change - but probably only because it is forced to do so. If it doesn't - apart from one or two large congregations here and there, it will die in this country. (The Third World is a completely different case and Christianity may continue to flourish in many parts of the world). In many areas the parish system is already crumbling because of lack of clergy and/or worshippers in certain areas. This combined with the fact that increasingly the fact that people no longer live in or worship in the parish they go to church in will further undermine this. Similarly, whatever authority the Bishop may or may not have is undermined by the fact that his "span of control" is far too wide and cannot possibly keep tabs on what is going on in any meaningful sense.

I would also venture to suggest that recent services done by our alternative worship group contains far more liturgy than some of the church services I go to.

From one who has one foot in and one foot out....

--------------------
"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." Confucius

Posts: 743 | From: cardiff | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rubbish, I think that the Church will grow, we will just be suprised in thae areas that it does grow.

The kingdom of God can not be stopped.

If that is too charismatic for you then i am sorry, but thats the way I think it is!!!

Neil

Posts: 6009 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One small point about what Cosmo has said. Outside England, it is not the duty of the incumbent of an Anglican parish to minister to the need of all within the boundaries. That is peculiar to the Church of England, and is the result of secular law, not church law. It is not, therefore, characteristic of Anglicanism. It is culturally-based, not theologically-based -- although that does not make it inappropriate, depending on the circumstances.

John Holding

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

I could understand the point of the Anglican priest ministering to the whole parish when most churches in England were of 'Central' churchmanship. But what about now when more are moving to the extremes, eg. charismatic evangelical: how can the same priest minister to the needs of, say, the Anglo Catholics or the Liberal Christians who happen to live in that parish. (I presume this works the other way around as well). It is therefore not surprising that people with cars travel to a different area to worship in another Anglican church, or to seek someone who understands their viewpoint on life from another denomination, or set up alt. worship possibilities. It would take a very special priest, with an openness and acceptance of all types, who is able to provide spiritual nourishment for EVERY person who lives in that parish.

--------------------

dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

Something I like about the CofE is the fact that, in theory at least, it is there not just for those who formally join it, but is there for the whole population of the parish. However, I'd nuance what Cosmo says by adding that to be the servant of God is, by definition, to be the servant of God's people and those whom God loves (i.e. everybody). The vicar is, after all, the vicarious representative of another servant, the bishop. So to fully realise this ideal the parish priest must be aware that the needs and desires of her parishioners are as much a locus for the activity and revelation of God's will as any concepts she or her bishop might have.

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So if being anglican is ministering to the parish, and being congregational ( i.e. tending to the needs of the congregation ) is so un-anglican, why are so many ( the vast majority ) of anglican churches behaving congregationally?

Most churches ( anglican or otherwise ) seem to concentrate their ministry on the congregation who attend, and any similar people, rather than focussing the church on the local area, and the local community. I am all for churches genuinely ministering to the local area, but I doubt whether most churches are prepared for it.

And I would seriously question whether an episcopal rather than a congregational model is the only valid understanding of anglicanism.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

Steve - "episcopal" is about where the final aauthority rests. Strictly speaking it's about which where the authority to define what's right and wrong teaching rests (thus claiming some purported paralel with the Apostles). E.g. the official pronouncements of the CofE on matters of doctrine have to be ok'd by the bishops before they get officiially published.

Of course, in practice the CofE is now synodical - e.g. it was the slim majority in the House of Laity that swung the 92 vote.

The reality is far more fluid and organic than any theory of church governance can ever control (we all know of "Congregational" set ups which are actually dominated and run by a little clique). The best example of this organic, two-way thing is not Anglican but Roman Catholic - Vatican II had to look at the Church and saw that the theory was far removed from the actual experience of many Roman Catholic Christians. So the bishops ok'd a lot of changes that had happened anyway.

Common Worship did this to a very small degree. Churches had always had "informal" services or used bits out of the 1928 prayer book which never became law. CW now formally authorises both.

Anglicanism will always, I think, have this tension between the theory of episcopal authority and the fact that the episcopate lets people do what they like most of the time anyway. If the bishops took themselves as seriously as some would like then they would have been stamping out these "congregational" experiments left, right and centre. The fact is that they are not. That could be due to lack of real power, or to a recognition that there are far more important things to get het up about. I give them the benefit of the doubt and go for the latter.

--------------------

dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

Mearly forgot - ...

the Act of Synod actually created a formal "congregational" model within the CofE. A PCC has the power to invoke Resolutions A, B and C relating to having women priests (and equally has power to rescind them), thus creating a mechanism where a church can opt for either their local or a flying bishop as and when they choose.

--------------------

Adrian
Electric angel
# 298

quote:
Something I like about the CofE is the fact that, in theory at least, it is there not just for those who formally join it, but is there for the whole population of the parish.

oh, how narrow-minded. we methodists consider the whole world our parish...

--------------------
www.emergingchurch.info
www.the-scriptorium.org

dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

quote:
Originally posted by Adrian:
oh, how narrow-minded. we methodists consider the whole world our parish...

Foh! A children's denomination, pandering to the spiritual needs of mere Christians as opposed to the true service of ecclesiological theory! I am minded of Charles Wesley's words:

So easily are bishops made
by man's, or woman's whim?
W--- his hands on C--- has laid,
but who laid hands on him?

--------------------

Adrian
Electric angel
# 298

quote:
I am minded of Charles Wesley's words:

pah. what did Wesley know? he was all for methodists remaining in the C of E. I mean, what would that have achieved - a major revival in the Anglican Church? who needs it?

--------------------
www.emergingchurch.info
www.the-scriptorium.org

Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

quote:
Originally posted by Steve:
So if being anglican is ministering to the parish, and being congregational ( i.e. tending to the needs of the congregation ) is so un-anglican, why are so many ( the vast majority ) of anglican churches behaving congregationally?

Why Indeed. Our parish does its best to be "anglican" rather than congregational, but some people just don't want growth.

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

jonny baker
Apprentice
# 1197

- Posted      Profile for jonny baker   Author's homepage   Email jonny baker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
gosh! what have i started???? my point was about being pragmatic rather than wanting to attack or defend some notion of what it means to be anglican. of course i believe in a visible church, of course i'm part of the catholic church ,and like it or lump it i'm a pretty thoroughbred anglican. but the reality of the situation in the uk is that all of this is pretty much irrelevant. people especialy younger people are voting with their feet that the church is irrelevant and this is at a time when there is an increase in spirituality in the culture. so the pragmatic concern i was trying to address was how does a church frankly in pretty poor shape get renewed. all i was suggesting was that this is both by people who are signed up insiders and people who are outside. both in their own way can fuel renewal. often people strongly advocate one or the other. to my mind this ignores how renewal often takes place. in some ways it's immature - kind of saying 'what i'm doing is the best and only way', whereas i'd say if you're in go for it and if you're out go for it. we're on the same side (at least i thought so a few days ago!)
as for anglicanism and episcopal authority - come on get real. how many abuses of power does it take before we move beyond that?
jonny

Posts: 11 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cosmo
Shipmate
# 117

Bizarrely most abuses of power in the Church of England stem not from the bishops (although they do sometimes have to carry a lot of responsibilities and blame for things) but from the 'Minister' or 'Worship Leader'.

I use these terms not because I'm trying to be provocative but it is the case that it is often evangelical parishes, through the notion of the Vicar being the spiritual leader of the congregation and in a position of headship according to the Pauline ideal, who have the worst problems with abuses of authority.

Certainly there are the Anglo-Catholic 'father-knows-best' places where the Priest runs the parish with a rod of iron, but, by and large, catholic congregations are much more likely to criticise and take their priest off of the pedestal. It is rare to find a parish in which a catholic incumbant has abused the trust of his parish by his style of ministry and over-authoritarianism. Basically, a lot of catholic parishes will have people in them who will take the piss out of the priest which prevents him from getting a swelled head or a swelled anything else for that matter. 'Headship' parishes are much less likely to have that because of the theology of the leader of the worshipping community.

Remember I'm not trying to make a party point here. Just trying to say that it is rarely episcopal authority which is abusive. After all, they don't have as much contact with the parishes as the parish priests do.

Cosmo

Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

'Headship' parishes are much less likely to have that because of the theology of the leader of the worshipping community.

Remember I'm not trying to make a party point here. Just trying to say that it is rarely episcopal authority which is abusive. After all, they don't have as much contact with the parishes as the parish priests do.

Scary as it was realising that I could actually hold a reasoned discussion with Cosmo, finding myself in agreement with him is bloody terrifying

Seriously. AIUI, Bishops are mainly facilitators, who tend to step in when they're needed - if they were prone to run things in such a harsh way, they'd never have time to do stuff like, y'know, sleep and eat.

On the other hand, since the charismatic revival, it's often been the way of a congregational leader to be, like, completely in charge - this a problem with the kind of charismatic/evangelical hybrid that's currently pretty much the evangelical mainstream.

(Although an evangelical, I do not identify myself with that kind of evangelicalism)

A case in point, just to show it's not just Anglican wannabes who do this: a former pastor of our church (whose pastorate was, it turned out, short-lived) was one of this kind of evangelical.

The Baptist idea that the pastor (yes, that's the official term) is a servant to the congregation, and must bow to the will of the congregation, represented by the deacons, as expressed in a democratic vote, drove him nuts.

He was constantly moaning about how churches should not be democracies, and making pointed references to delivering the church from 'deacon possession'. It got a lot of backs up.

Eventually, it even got to the point where he was leading communion and not taking it himself.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

quote:
Originally posted by Wood:
Scary as it was realising that I could actually hold a reasoned discussion with Cosmo, finding myself in agreement with him is bloody terrifying

Oh my God.

It definitiely is the End Time.

'frin - get the shotgun and the survival kit. We're off to the hills....

--------------------

dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

Oh, btw, jonny - which episcopal abuses are you referring to? I don't actually recall any bishop in the last 20 years or so manipulating a congregation, running off with money, or physically or sexually abusing someone. Perhaps I've missed something.....

--------------------

rosemary
Shipmate
# 100

- Posted      Profile for rosemary   Author's homepage   Email rosemary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I find this headship business worrying too. My feeling is that if the vicar was more of an enabler who taught people how to feed/learn/develop their spiritual lives themselves, rather than being a teacher/leader, this might be one factor which reduces the flow out of the church.

--------------------
"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." Confucius

Posts: 743 | From: cardiff | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
thom
Apprentice
# 1923

- Posted      Profile for thom         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the question of the relative importance of Bishops and local clergy, I would like to offer the following observation. I have spent many years managing residenitial establishments for very dependendent people. People whose options are very very limited. I was always keen to stress that residents would be treated badly or well according to how the staff felt treated by their managers.
Oppressive mnanagers breed oppressive styaff who in turn oppress the residents.
The analogy, hopefully, is coming clear. If clergy are too often oppressive (and in my experience they are)then it may well be because Bishops are oppressing them - which from personal experience I know to be too often the truth.
Imagine a Church where Bishops were elected by the people and lived simply lives - even part time employed in secular employment. Guardians of the Faith, Guardians of the Ministries of Laying on of Hands, Living lives of Holiness but in charge of absolutely nothing!
[/LIST]Thom

Posts: 2 | From: southend-on-sea | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Or alternatively, maybe some clergy are opressive because their bishops are too easy-going and let them get away with it! They can get away with almost anything except running away with an under-age acolyte, it seems.

--------------------

Adrian
Electric angel
# 298

am I the only person here who can never tell if Chorister is righteously angry, or just taking the p***?

please do tell us where you're coming from chum.

--------------------
www.emergingchurch.info
www.the-scriptorium.org

Cosmo
Shipmate
# 117

We have to remember that the Church of England treads a very fine tightrope between episcopal and parochial authority. This can be seen by the continued existence of the Parson's Freehold. This means that anyone who is a Vicar or a Rector of a parish (as opposed to a Priest-in-Charge or Team Vicar) can stay in that parish until the age of 70 (indeed those who were inducted into their parishes before 1975 can stay until they die) and it is almost impossible to get rid of them. They can only be dismissed by being found guilty of 'conduct unbecoming a clerk in holy orders' in the Ecclesiastical Courts or if the Bishop is petitioned by the parish that there is 'irrevocable pastoral breakdown'. The time and the expense of going through these processes of law make it very rare, although not unknown, for an Incumbant to be dismissed.

Many question the continuation of the Freehold. However history teaches us that episcopal authority can be dangerous as well as neccesary. For example there is no way that the Oxford Movement would have been the success it was had the clergy concerned not had the Parson's Freehold. Remeber that the disputes of the nineteenth century had to be carried out in the courts publically (making a number of clergy martyrs in the process) rather than the Bishop being able quietly to sack the offending clergy. Take the freehold away and you would have a situation where the Bishop could dismiss a parish priest just because he doesn't like him or because his liturgical practice is different or because he's gay or because he wants to save some money or whatever.

Unless a priest has the freehold he has no employment rights whatsoever. Indeed even a Priest-in-Charge (or Team Vicar) can be sacked on three months notice for no reason at all. This happened in the London diocese to a couple of clergy recently. No reason, no appeal. My employer is not the Bishop nor is it my parish nor is it the Church of England. My employer, in law, is God.

Thus whilst Chorister might be right in saying that bishops let clergy get away with too much (although 'too much' always depends on your point of view and particular prejudice) they often have little else than rebuke and counsel as a tool. They could withdraw a priest's licence but that would not withdraw them from the parish and would simply leave a parish without a priest. On the other hand there are a number of bishops around (at the moment Evangelical and Liberal but in the '70's and '80's Anglo-Catholic and Liberal) who did, would and do undoubtedly abuse their authority.

Cosmo

Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Unless a priest has the freehold he has no employment rights whatsoever. Indeed even a Priest-in-Charge (or Team Vicar) can be sacked on three months notice for no reason at all. This happened in the London diocese to a couple of clergy recently. No reason, no appeal. My employer is not the Bishop nor is it my parish nor is it the Church of England. My employer, in law, is God.

True.

But, of course, it's when you start believing that God is giving you direct instructions regardless of the traditional dictates of your church authority, your tradition - or even scripture, that the trouble begins. And this is often the basis of abuses of authority in Christian churches, on the whole, particularly (and I must sadly admit this) some charismatic & evangelical churches.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

If a vicar has the freehold and knows he cannot be touched, there exists the potential for abuse of the position; some take this path, but not all, thank goodness.

BTW Adrian, not righteously angry, or taking the p***, just making a few wry comments.

--------------------

Adrian
Electric angel
# 298

hmm. maybe the church *is* beyond saving if all we can do is debate authority & power structures. there's a lot more to being church than fitting in with the power structure of your chosen denomination.

surely we're gonna have to think beyond these confines if the church is to ever re-engage with the real world?

--------------------
www.emergingchurch.info
www.the-scriptorium.org

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016