homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: The political junkie POTUS prediction thread (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  109  110  111 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: The political junkie POTUS prediction thread
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You know you want to feed your addiction, and the doctor is in.

Clinton/Obama lose by two percentage points to Guiliani/Huckabee.

Guiliani's proven administrative prowess wins him the nomination and Huckabee's appeal to southern/conservative voters wins him the south and rural areas generally.

Clinton's savvy and conciliatory choice of Obama is not enough to overcome the baggage Bill has saddled her with, and in the privacy of the voting booth not enough people pull the lever for her.

(If Bloomberg runs I reserve the right to revise this, and it's a damn shame Paul probably won't get much traction, if for no other reason than to sway the debate.)

[ 06. July 2009, 14:34: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You're assuming Obama will hook up?

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It will be a blowout, Clinton/Obama will win every state except the South.

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
maleveque
Shipmate
# 132

- Posted      Profile for maleveque   Email maleveque   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Clinton/Obama by a landslide. Or maybe Clinton/Richardson.
Anne L.

--------------------
Life isn't all fricasseed frogs and eel pie.

Posts: 1496 | From: Washington, DC or thereabouts | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ORGANMEISTER
Shipmate
# 6621

- Posted      Profile for ORGANMEISTER         Edit/delete post 
As the economy falters, the dollar drops, fuel prices climb, interest rates rise, and the middle class starts to feel the economic crunch the Reps will be blamed for the economic mess and the social issues that feed the Right will diminish in importance and Hillary can run on her husband's mantra, "It's the economy, Stupid"!

Unless there is major reversal of fortune, it's Hillary's to lose.

Posts: 3162 | From: Somerset, PA - USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think Clinton's a shoe-in for the Dem. nomination, but I fear for her chances in the actual election. I don't think she'll pick Obama as VP, though. Edwards, maybe, to appeal to a broader spectrum.

(Can I admit here that theres some deep smarmy part of my soul that hopes for Obama-Edwards just cause they look so gosh darned cute together? [Hot and Hormonal] )

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

- Posted      Profile for Mad Geo   Email Mad Geo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Clinton 33%, Giuliani 33%, Bloomberg 33%.

Election goes to........

Giuliani, when the SCOTUS screws the Democrats again.

--------------------
Diax's Rake - "Never believe a thing simply because you want it to be true"

Posts: 11730 | From: People's Republic of SoCal | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If the American people elect Giuliani, they have very short memories.

I just checked his campaign web page. It appears that he wants to be Bush's ghost, standing by the status quo with more of the same. Maybe that's honest at least. I like the man's feistiness. But given the level of dissatisfaction and impatience with the incumbent's numerous snafus over the years, I don't see anyone being as electable as you predict without making more of an effort to describe how his administration will differ from its predecessor.

But how different can any candidate sound while remaining a Republican in good standing? Was Bush an unfortunate fluke, or systemic and representative of what you'll get nowadays by pulling the GOP lever? He's not the only one with egg on his face. A whole raft of once-arrogant neo-conservatives are desperately trying to backpedal and make excuses along with him.

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ORGANMEISTER:
interest rates rise

I think you will find interest rates will fall for the next year or so and so delay the inevitable real pain.
The Democrats should win the next election except if they select Clinton they may well be choosing someone who will bring disaffected Republicans back home. To be certain of a victory the democrats should not choose Clinton for POTUS but maybe VP.

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I can remember my incredulous giggling, walking through a breezy evening under bright stars to go vote, a few years back. I was struck by the incredible prospect, the science fiction scenario it would take -- "What? Clinton win this election? Are you kidding? What have you been smoking?"

Heck, I was so sure the U-S-A-ians were bright enough, as a group -- why, it would take a masterful fantasy writer to make up a believable, reasonable-sounding scenario that would have Bill Clinton winning the Presidency!

Hah. Clinton won. From that night forward for several years, I was living in a fantasy caricature of a nation I thought I'd understood.

I haven't a firm idea yet of who I think will carry the GOP nomination.

So, I can't lay odds yet. Despite the fact that I really don't think Billary will win in the end -- I'm not even really confident that she will carry the Dem nomination -- I learned, that chilly night years ago, to never say never.

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So do people think the Bernard Kerik indictment is going to hurt Rudy?

Former Giuliani Protoge Indicted on Corruption Charges

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

- Posted      Profile for Mad Geo   Email Mad Geo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nah. He's more teflon than that.

I think he's going to get hurt if he doesn't stop running on 9-11 and start running on substance though.

--------------------

Posts: 11730 | From: People's Republic of SoCal | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
sandushinka
Shipmate
# 13021

- Posted      Profile for sandushinka   Email sandushinka   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Clinton/Obama over Giuliani/Thompson. I think it will be fairly close.

--------------------
It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Posts: 131 | From: Maryland (DC burbs), USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well there are 538 Electoral votes. I'm betting the Dems will pick up 339 electoral votes, the GOP will get 199. It won't be close.

Our national nightmare will finally be over.

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Whoever is sworn in on the 20th of January, 2009 will be sworn at starting the morning of the 21st.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by bc_anglican:
Well there are 538 Electoral votes. I'm betting the Dems will pick up 339 electoral votes, the GOP will get 199. It won't be close.

While I can readily agree with your sense that we are living through a national nightmare, I cannot quite muster your faith that it will so easily be ended.

--Tom Clune

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
But will whoever the U.S. voters want actually be able to occupy the office come January 2009?

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

- Posted      Profile for Scarlet         Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by malik3000:
But will whoever the U.S. voters want actually be able to occupy the office come January 2009?

That is the true question.

--------------------
They took from their surroundings what was needed... and made of it something more.
—dialogue from Primer

New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

- Posted      Profile for New Yorker   Email New Yorker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by bc_anglican:

If Clinton wins the US national nightmare will have just begun: horrible tax increases, national health disaster, surrender to terror. However, not to be picky, but is there a Canadian election next year, BCAnglican? And, I did not know you had an electoral college? So your national nightmare ended a while back when Harper was elected.
Posts: 3193 | From: New York City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I won't lay a wager because I'm just not sure yet.

I'm a bit baffled where the love for Hillary is coming from, but I was just as baffled where the ire came from before. I'm just not that emotionally involved with the women.

my dream team?

Obama/Edwards. and I dont give a shit what they look like, they advocate for all the stuff I love.

I admit I have a soft spot (in my head, no doubt) for Guiliani, but I find Fred Thompson pretty revolting.

of course, Mike Gravel would be the best of all possible worlds, but you all voters in the state have no taste of quirky characters. [Big Grin]

Gravel Rocks!

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Bede's American Successor

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There is more to getting elected than being organized, smart, and ruthless—although those traits are required of any presidential candidate. There is a very important ability not in this list, and is usually required to some degree.

That is why I am wondering why are you all assuming the Democratic candidate will be H. Clinton?

H. Clinton has the nerves and skill to do the job. What she lacks is the ability to connect to people on a deeply personal level. This connection skill is something her husband could do in spades—as can George W. Bush (which is why I think he still has what support he has).

Obama can connect on that deeply personal level. He honed that skill doing street-level politics in Chicago.

Richardson, as a governor (executive), should have that skill to trot out.

Edwards smiles well and can push our buttons. I'm not totally sure he has that connection skill.

Remember that there is a history of early front runners not making it. Remember Howard Dean?

I think it will be great if H. Clinton does not make it to the nomination. All the Republicans are running as the person to beat Clinton. Without Clinton to run against, they are lost and might have to start talking about the $9 Trillion Republican debt. Would Pat Robertson had endorsed gay- and abortion-loving Rudy except that he is the anti-Clinton?

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by New Yorker:
If Clinton wins the US national nightmare will have just begun: horrible tax increases, national health disaster, surrender to terror.

Not to be picky, but we now have a $9 trillion dollar national debt. You can't spend on a war and not pay for it.

Only a few years ago the Canadian dollar was worth about 67 cents—and gasoline was $2.00+/gallon. Today the Canadian dollar is about US$1.05-07 (lost about third in value) and gasoline is $3.00+/gallon. To oversimplify, we are killing our future economic growth in the future because the Republican credit card spending has dumped the dollar in the dumpster.

Because of George Bush's economics (which aren't all that much different from LBJ's guns-and-butter economics), we will have to tax ourselves to restore the dollar no matter who is elected President. Get used to it.

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Choirboy
Shipmate
# 9659

- Posted      Profile for Choirboy   Email Choirboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The problem for the Republicans, regardless of nominee, is that anything they do to try to motivate their base will turn off the independents. The faithful are largely demoralized and grasping at straws viz. Fred Thompson. Meanwhile, the Democratic base is already as motivated as possible simply at the thought of getting rid of the Republicans. Face it, the Democrats just have to be 'not the Republicans' to win by a landslide.

The Republican strategy will be to redouble the old Swift Boat go-negative crap to try to depress turnout. It will backfire.

Posts: 2994 | From: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Socratic-enigma
Shipmate
# 12074

- Posted      Profile for Socratic-enigma     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have to say I agree with 206.

Bede,

There was no front-runner in 2004 (Kerry was about as inspirational as a wet mop). Dean's initial success was merely a reflection of a well run (especially via the internet) campaign, but he never had the support of the Democrat establishment.

Conversely, Hilary has run a polished campaign from Day 1, with the backing of the Party, which is why she will probably win the nomination over Obama; and he would likely accept the VP position, because even were they to lose, it would set him up for 2012.

Similarly, Rudi is the most polished and the establishment candidate - I saw Huckabee on 'The News Hour' and he was very impressive - but he lacks the National profile; or perhaps more importantly, the financial where-with-all. And his participation in the ticket would do much to bring the evangelicals on board (especially against Clinton).

Thompson may be an accomplished actor - but as himself (particularly as a candidate) he is a crashing bore - and will soon disappear from the race.

But I'd be interested to hear more from Janine & Mere Nick - comparing the two terms of Bush with that of (Bill)Clinton. Clinton left America with a balanced budget and a period of unparallelled economic success: He was erudite, intelligent, had come from a background of abject poverty, and strode the World Stage with aplomb.

Conversely, Bush, a child of privilege will leave the economy in tatters, with unparallelled debt and has demonstrated himself to be of limited capacity in both intellect and foresight. Around the World he is a joke and has overseen a period when, by his policies, the USA has become more hated than at any previous time in its history.
Not to mention more than 3000 dead and tens of thousands wounded in an utterly unneccessary war, a legacy which will blight many for generations to come.

S-E

--------------------
"Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office than to serve and obey them."
David Hume

Posts: 817 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
BTW, who are these people who can't spell Rudy's last name?

So much for any credibility they thought they had.

Dammit.

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mere Nick, lol re "sworn at". You're right of course.

Given the available candidates, I'd go for Clinton/Obama or Clinton/Richardson. Both combinations would break assorted glass ceilings. (Richardson is Latino.) The first combo gets C's experience and inside info, and O's charisma. (Though Hillary is doing better at connecting with people, I think.) The second combo gets C's experience and inside info, and R's ambassadorial experience.

I wonder if Madeleine Albright would be willing to be secretary of state again?

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Socratic-enigma
Shipmate
# 12074

- Posted      Profile for Socratic-enigma     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by 206:
BTW, who are these people who can't spell Rudy's last name?

So much for any credibility they thought they had.

Dammit.

Not to mention, his first name [Hot and Hormonal]

Let's just make it easier and refer to him as...

'The Next Mr. President'

S-E

--------------------
"Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office than to serve and obey them."
David Hume

Posts: 817 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Off Centre View
Shipmate
# 4254

- Posted      Profile for Off Centre View   Author's homepage   Email Off Centre View   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've heard that Ron Paul has started to make something of a name for himself, raising several million dollars and being one of the most highly searched for names on several search engines.

Being a Brit, I've heard something on most of the frontrunning candidates (Clinton, Obama et al), but this Paul guy seems to be a bit of a political suprise. What are people's opinion of him in the 'states?

--------------------
Looking for Authenticity in the Corporate Abyss? Change Your Self, Change Your Workplace, Change Your World: www.corporateabyss.com

Posts: 1685 | From: wherever I may wander | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Bede's American Successor:
Remember that there is a history of early front runners not making it. Remember Howard Dean?

You bet. Edmund Muskie is another I remember. There are more that hardly anyone remembers.

The irresistable force which is the tendency to make running-for-President a career collides with the immovable object which is the limited attention span of Americans. When one face stays on the TV screen too long, we eventually get bored and yearn for someone new. I must say that in this case a limited attention span has its points.

More time as front-runner = more time to stumble and make a fool of oneself.

[ 09. November 2007, 23:11: Message edited by: Alogon ]

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If Hillary gets the nomination (and that's still a big "if") she will not choose Obama as a running mate. It would not be a well-balanced ticket. She would go for regional balance (he's a midwesterner and she's sort of a hybrid midwest/eastern), plus someone with experience and a little more gravitas. .

I would be happy to have Obama continue to be my senator for a very long time.

[ 09. November 2007, 23:14: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:

So would I, but I'd also hope that he is Presidential material later on. Right now he is vulnerable for having too little management experience. How about one of the major cabinet positions in the next Democratic administration?

--------------------

agrgurich
Shipmate
# 5724

- Posted      Profile for agrgurich   Email agrgurich   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Off Centre View:
I've heard that Ron Paul has started to make something of a name for himself, raising several million dollars and being one of the most highly searched for names on several search engines.

Being a Brit, I've heard something on most of the frontrunning candidates (Clinton, Obama et al), but this Paul guy seems to be a bit of a political suprise. What are people's opinion of him in the 'states?

99% of the people have never heard of Ron Paul.

I pick McCain/Thompson over over Clinton/Strickland (Ted Strickland is Gov. of Ohio) in a squeaker.

--------------------
Life is a comedy to those who think & a tragedy to those who feel.-Horace Walpole

AJG

Posts: 4478 | From: Michigan's Copper Country | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

quote:
If Hillary gets the nomination (and that's still a big "if") she will not choose Obama as a running mate. It would not be a well-balanced ticket. She would go for regional balance (he's a midwesterner and she's sort of a hybrid midwest/eastern), plus someone with experience and a little more gravitas. .

Actually, H. Clinton is from Chicago. You can't balance her out with Obama.

--------------------

—Ezekiel 16.49

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

quote:
Originally posted by Alogon:
More time as front-runner = more time to stumble and make a fool of oneself.

The debates are turning into HC versus everyone else, be it Democratic candidate debates or Republican debates.

And, while NPR kinda stepped in it over the tipping story by not researching it fully (actually, for not recognizing what the impact would be of that part of the story), did anyone question that HC wasn't able to convey that she understood the waitress' problems?

quote:
Esterday does not think Clinton got it. "I don't think she understood at all what I was saying," Esterday said. "I mean, nobody got left a tip that day."*

Clinton may have decided not to tip. She was also never given a bill — her meal was on the house. Still, Esterday said Clinton might have left her something: "Maybe they don't carry money. I don't know."

I saw Kerry live when he was in Everett with about 200 of my closest labor friends in a closed campaign appearance. Generally he was too scripted in an apparent attempt to keep him from rambling on. There was a moment he looked like a president, though. Someone passed out in the audience. Kerry took executive charge of the room. That stood in stark contrast in how GWB didn't take control after 9/11. Not that I wished for more people to have gotten ill and passed out, but I wish more people could have seen how he balanced handling the room and showing concern for the ill person. It was very impressive.

Presidential candidates need a chance to show their humanity.

*The Clinton campaign has since said that they did leave $100 tip to be shared by everyone. The waitress still says she got nothing.

--------------------

—Ezekiel 16.49

New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

- Posted      Profile for New Yorker   Email New Yorker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
H. Clinton has the nerves and skill to do the job. What she lacks is the ability to connect to people on a deeply personal level. This connection skill is something her husband could do in spades—as can George W. Bush (which is why I think he still has what support he has).

I think that this is the heart of the matter. Hillary just does not connect. She comes across as cold. Bill is entirely different. I disagree with most all of his political positions, but I think he'd be great to have dinner with.
Posts: 3193 | From: New York City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Don't be selfish, Mama! Share with the rest of the class. [Razz]

What Bede/New Yorker have said about Hillary's inability to connect is right on. I listen to her talk and she sounds like a robot. very strident, but you can just hear in her voice it's all a show. she's not a natural leader, not charismatic. it's a playact for her.

not that an election should be chosen based on someone's charisma, but it often is. Frankly, I think one of the stupidest things the Dems ever did was eliminate Dean for Kerry. Dean was charismatic and energetic, Kerry died years ago and no one has yet told him. people don't vote for constant compromise and even keel.

while Hillary isn't so much even keel, she is all about compromise. some things I don't want a compromise on, some things require some commitment, some spine.

to me, she is just too much of a political game player. i want to see her up there, not who she thinks we all want to see.

I haven't seen hillary yet. I've just seen a well-managed game face. When does she go on a night show and play sax in sunglasses for us?

Now, I just heard (over lunch with the boss, discussing this thread) that Obama has not said he will bring the troops home. I'm pretty dissappointed about that. because I like him, I want more detail before I wish to write him off - maybe he has some sense behind that. but for now, that smacks of the "compromise" tactic that really pisses me off.

When there are people dying, it's not the time to prevaricate and placate the hawks.

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

Actually, she's from Park Ridge, not to put too fine a point on it. My point was that Obama does not give her any balance, what with both of them being from Illinois. Her being a New Yorker currently won't count in people's eyes (and could be a negative; a lot of the middle and western US don't care for Easterners). To get geographic balance, she'll have to go south or west -- although agrgurich's suggestion of the governor of Ohio is intriguing.

I'd gladly part with Obama if it meant a cabinet post in the next administration or a viable run for President somewhere down the line!

I think a lot of Republicans were hoping that Fred Thompson would be the new Reagan, but so far he's a dud.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

Constitutionally at least, they could be on the same ticket since Hillary's current state of residence is NY. (For those of you outside the US who may not know this, the President and VP have to be from different states.) If we're talking birthplaces, Obama was born in Hawaii anyway. Remember in 2000 Dick Cheney changed himself overnight from a Texan back into a Wyomingite (Or whatever people in Wyoming call themselves) so he could run with Dubya? At any rate, while I think it would be a strong ticket I don't think H would pick my man Barack as her running mate and I don't think she would take VP.

My guess is Hillary and someone not running in the primaries such as Mark Warner (former Virginia governor, popular there) or Tom Vilsack (Iowa gov). If Richardson isn't on the ticket I think he should become the Sec. of State. I have to hope beyond hope that the Democratic nominee, whoever it is, wins because almost all the Republicans scare me to death. Ron Paul and Mike Huckabee seem like decent guys, although I disagree with both of them ideologically. I'll predict Romney/Huckabee as the Republican ticket. I think Giuliani will prove to be too liberal on social issues and too horrible a person to win the nomination. Win goes to the Democrats.

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

- Posted      Profile for saysay   Email saysay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I know Hillary has a huge lead in the polls... But I can't figure out who they're polling, since everyone I've talked to thinks her candidacy and/ or presidency would be a disaster. But then sometimes I think we get the presidents and celebrities we deserve.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for an Edwards/ Obama ticket.

--------------------
"It's been a long day without you, my friend
I'll tell you all about it when I see you again"
"'Oh sweet baby purple Jesus' - that's a direct quote from a 9 year old - shoutout to purple Jesus."

Posts: 2943 | From: The Wire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pakistan is gripped with civil war. India takes advantage of the discord to invade Azad Kashmir. China moves 200,000 troops into Aksai Chin to protect their interests. US diplomatic efforts collapse in a paroxysm of political ineptitude. Musharraf uses tactical nuke on Indian troops in the north. China increases troop concentration to 750,000 and moves south towards Islamabad just as the capital is vaporized by Indian nukes. China declares war on India.

Turkey invades Kirkuk to quell Kurdish PKK. Iran pushes across Iraqi border into Basra to support Shiite heartland. King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia is assassinated by Al-Qaeda insurgents. Civil war breaks out as US airlifts troops to protect oil interests in the kingdom.

Dome of the Rock at Haram Ash-Sharif is destroyed.

President George W. Bush declares national emergency and cancels presidential election. Riots break out in major US cities. Bush declares martial law and suspends civil liberties. Hundreds of thousands of protesters incarcerated as militant combatants.

Astronomers discover massive asteroid on collision course with Earth due to impact December 21st, 2012. Millions convert to Christianity in last ditch effort to make the "rapture" cut.

Roaches, ants and spiders inherit Earth; institute Hive Mind Party.

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

you have such a way of cheering me up, Gortling.

--------------------

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I live to serve. [Big Grin]

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

Gort, you optimist you.

quote:
Originally posted by New Yorker:
If Clinton wins the US national nightmare will have just begun: horrible tax increases, national health disaster, surrender to terror.

Bear in mind that I am a (social) libertarian, I hate taxes, I hate socialism, I'm in favor of a strong military. That being said:

Whoever gets into office had BETTER raise taxes, and not to spend more but to pay off GWs idiocies!

In case you hadn't noticed, our national health disaster is ALREADY HERE. When Walmart et al start calling for the government to do something because of the pain of HMOs, you know the system is already fucked. Even Hillary can't make it worse. We already spend WAY more on healthcare than socialist countries. If we simply did what they do, we'd be ahead already. You ARE being taxed for healthcare, you just don't realize it. You might as well get somthing for it.

Surrender to terror? HAH! Hillary is already quite clear that she isn't leaving Iraq (as I know that counts as "terror" in Republicans wacky book keeping. You realize her hubby was the one that took the first shot at Bin Laden (remember aspirin factories), it was HIS recommendation that there was WMD in Iraq and to invade. Clinton's are as hawkish as any Bush.

quote:
Originally posted by comet:
Gravel Rocks!

As a geologist THAT was really [Killing me]

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gort:
Dome of the Rock at Haram Ash-Sharif is destroyed.

President George W. Bush declares national emergency and cancels presidential election. Riots break out in major US cities. Bush declares martial law and suspends civil liberties. Hundreds of thousands of protesters incarcerated as militant combatants.

Some days, I worry that Dubya is trying to start Armageddon, so that Jesus will return soon and be proud of him.

[Paranoid]

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Rob
Shipmate
# 5823

- Posted      Profile for Mr. Rob         Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by 206:

Clinton/Obama lose by two percentage points to Guiliani/Huckabee.

You're obviously insane.
Posts: 862 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Rob
Shipmate
# 5823

- Posted      Profile for Mr. Rob         Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Off Centre View:

I've heard that Ron Paul has started to make something of a name for himself ...

Ron Paul now polls somewhere around 1% (One percent) of the national vote
Posts: 862 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If Clinton wins, it will get to the stage that 28-year-old Americans will have known no other President than a Clinton or a Bush. Seems more like dynasty than democracy...

And if she wins, what are you going to call Bill?

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

"First Gentleman", of course. Though Hillary has evidently mentioned having him do ambassadorial work; not sure if that would be on an official level.

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
"First Gentleman", of course. Though Hillary has evidently mentioned having him do ambassadorial work; not sure if that would be on an official level.

that's it! she's running for president so she can legitimately send him away to another country! [Big Grin]

our governor's husband is known as the "First Dude" it started as a joke, but it stuck. even the papers address him that way. ol' Bill could be a first Dude.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Comet,

Yes, I've wondered about the "sending him overseas" bit myself. [Smile]

He could also be called "First Bubba". IIRC, Bubba is one of his nicknames.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  109  110  111 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016