homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: 2013 Celebrity Death Pool: Kicking the Dust, Biting the Bucket (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: 2013 Celebrity Death Pool: Kicking the Dust, Biting the Bucket
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, it's that time of year again: time to pick up your copies of trashy celebrity rumor mags and place your bets on who's going to shuffle off this mortal coil in the forthcoming year. Now in it's tenth year on the Ship, we're going to celebrate this auspicious anniversary by keeping things pretty much exactly the same as they have been! Those of you who have been with us before should know the rules, and those of you who haven't may have played this before elsewhere, but, just because we'll need them, here follows the Official Posting of the Official Rules:
quote:
1. You must pick 13 well-known people whom you think will shuffle off this mortal coil in 2013. That is, starting from 00.01 UTC (GMT, really) on January 1st 2013 and ending at 23.59 UTC on December 31st 2013, as determined by the United States Naval Observatory.

2. The definition of "well-known" is that their deaths will be reported by at least one major news outlet. Examples outlets include (but are not limited to) The Guardian, CNN, IMDB, Al Jezeera, or the Church Times(!).

3. All selections must be real, natural born people. No fictional characters, abstract entities, or "corporate persons," please.

4. Points are awarded according to the following formula: 100 minus the celebrity's age at the time of death. For example, if the person you choose dies at the age of 67, you will earn 33 points. Should you pick someone who is 100 years old when they die, you will receive no points; should your person be over 100, you will lose a point for every year after 100.

5. You earn 50 bonus points if the death occurs in such a way as to clearly prove the existence of God (for example, if some doofus dies from burns after trying to torch a church), or in such a way that a Darwin Award is granted posthumously.

6. You cannot choose anyone under the age of 18.

7. You can choose an inmate scheduled to be executed, but you only earn points if the person dies by some means other than the state-sponsored execution. For example, a shiv in the stomach counts, lethal injection does not.

8. You are disqualified if you contribute in any way to the death of one of your chosen candidates. Exceptions will be made if you are a police officer or member of the armed services and kill someone in the line of duty.

9. All entries must be submitted on this thread no later than 23.59 UTC on December 31st 2012. No entries will be accepted after this time. You may however make changes to your list up until this time, but only if someone pops their clogs before the beginning of the year or you've put someone in twice.

There are also a couple of bonus awards:
Inside Track with the Grim Reaper Award: given for picking the first death of 2013.
Quantity Not Quality Award: given for picking the most people who croak in 2013, regardless of their points value.
Sudden Death: given for picking the last death of 2013

Also, because we've been running this for ten years, we've learned that the same questions and complaints get lodged each time, so here's the disclaimer: this is only a game. The Ship, its management, and their associated lackeys do not necessarily endorse the death any human being. One should not necessarily view this as a "wish list;" reviewing past years will show that, at any rate, truly evil and nasty dictators seem to have a habit of lingering, while those figures we truly respect and admire often don't. The Circus is a place for games, not discussion of the rights or wrongs of those games; if you want to discuss the ethics of this one, there are other places you can do that.

Now then. I think it's time to find me a copy of US Weekly and get playing!

(And PeteC, I changed the title just for you. Happy now?)

[ 12. July 2016, 12:15: Message edited by: Belisarius ]

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Death List for 2013

1. Billy Graham (an American evangelist)
2. George H, Bush (Satan)
3. James Earl Carter
4. George W. Bush (Spawn of Satan)
5. Robert Mugabe
6. H.R.H The Prince Philip (just because)
7. HM the Queen (her kiss of life from her devoted subject)
8. Knowlton Nash (CBC News Presenter)
9. Margaret Hilda, Baroness Thatcher (the Bloody Baron – isn’t she dead yet?
10. Lloyd Robertson (CTV news presenter)
11. Stephen Hawking (well he’s a medical miracle, he’s gotta go sometime!)
12.The Countess Mountbatten of Burma (she’s getting a little long in the tooth)
13. Princess Alexandra, Dowager Lady Ogilvy

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's my little list - and there's precious few of them that would be missed!

1. Rupert Murdoch.

2. General Than Shwe.

3. L K Advani.

4. Margaret Hilda Thatcher.

5. Newt Gingrich.

6. Jean Marie LePen.

7. Robert Mugabe.

8. Raj Thackeray.

9. Pat Robertson.

10. Ian Paisley.

11. Mitt Romney.

12. Gerry Adams.

13. Philip Mountbatten.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here goes, in no particular order:

1. Robert Mugabe
2. HM Queen Elizabeth II (please not)
3. HRH Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh
4. Baroness Thatcher
5. Nelson Mandela
6. Fidel Castro
7. Rupert Murdoch
8. Pope Benedict XVI
9. The Rev'd. Ian Paisley
10. Michael J. Fox
11. Pete Doherty
12. David Bowie
13. Justin Bieber (is he 18 yet?)

[ 10. December 2012, 02:37: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
13. Justin Bieber (is he 18 yet?)

19 next March.

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1. Billy Graham
2. Margaret Thatcher
3. HM Queen Elizabeth II
4. Lindsey Lohan
5. Robert Mugabe
6. Donald Sinden
7. Nelson Mandela
8. Bernie Eccleston
9. Prince Philip
10. Stephen Hawking
11. John McCain
12. Ian Paisley
13. Bill Treacher

This is largely unchanged since last year. Which just shows how well I do in this game.

If I keep playing it, I have to score with some of them eventually. Surely?

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I forgot to enter last year, so here is my all new list.

1 Mahmoud Abbas - Palastinian leader (disputed)
2 Aziz Duwaik - Palastinian Leader (disputed)
3 B B King - greatest living guitarist
4 Charlie Watts - because Keith is indestructible
5 Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh
6 Baron Kinnock - (Neil Kinnock - former Labour leader)
7 Stephen Hawking
8 Terry Pratchett
9 Sir Paul McCartney
10 Xi Jinping - Chinese leader
11 Jean-Marie Le Pen - French NF former leader
12 Hugo Chavez - President of Venezuela
13 Dame Judy Dench

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll play the same numbers again.

1. Hugo Chavez
2. Ariel Sharon
3. P.D. James
4. Duke of Edinburgh
5. Robert Mugabe
6. Jimmy Carter
7. George H.W. Bush
8. Nelson Mandela
9. Margaret Thatcher
10. Billy Graham
11. Bashar Al-Assad
12. Fidel Castro
13. Stephen Hawking

Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1. Margaret Thatcher
2. Robert Mugabe
3. Brad Pitt
4. Nelson Mandela
5. Ion Iliescu (former President of Romania)
6. Katie Price (aka Jordan)
7. Nick Clegg
8. Duke of Edinburgh
9. Bob Geldof
10. Stephen Fry
11. George Michael
12. Pope Benedict
13. Alex Ferguson

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1. Margaret Thatcher
2. Prince Philip
3. Nelson Mandela
4. John Noakes
5. Muhammed Ali
6. Ken Dodd
7. Ronnie Corbett
8. Kylie Minogue
9. Brian Cant
10. Michael Aspel
11. Liz Smith
12. Denis Healey
13. Jasper Carrott

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Imersge Canfield
Shipmate
# 17431

- Posted      Profile for Imersge Canfield   Email Imersge Canfield   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My hypothetical list (no hard feelings)

1. Antolin Scalia
2. Joseph Ratzinger
3. Anthony M Kennedy
4. Prince Philip
5. Ruth Bader Ginsburg
6. Margaret Thatcher
7. Stephen G Breyer
8. Sandra Day O'Connor
9. Bruce Forsythe
10. John Paul Stevens
11. George Bush (snr)
12. George Carey
13. Lady Trumpington

[ 15. December 2012, 23:34: Message edited by: Imersge Canfield ]

--------------------
'You must not attribute my yielding, to sinister appetites'
"Preach the gospel and only use jewellry if necessary." (The Midge)

Posts: 419 | From: Sun Ship over Grand Fenwick Duchy | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged
kankucho
Shipmate
# 14318

- Posted      Profile for kankucho   Author's homepage   Email kankucho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eyes down for a full crypt..!

1 Clive James
2 Fidel Castro
3 Frank Thornton
4 Richard O'Sullivan
5 Nelson Mandela
6 Ian Brady
7 Ronald Biggs
8 Zsa Zsa Gabor
9 Frank Williams (the actor)
10 Stephen Hawking
11 Vera Lynn
12 Robert Mugabe
13 Liz Dawn

--------------------
"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself" – Dr. Carl Sagan
Kankucho Bird Blues

Posts: 1262 | From: Kuon-ganjo, E17 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My picks for the coming year:

1. Lindsay Lohan
2. Katt Williams
3. Zsa Zsa Gabor
4. George H.W. Bush
5. Hugo Chavez
6. Margaret Thatcher
7. Keith Richards
8. Courtney Love
9. George Michael
10. Muhammad Ali
11. Billy Graham
12. Aretha Frankllin
13. Kirk Douglas

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here we go:

1. Danny Baker
2. Felix Dennis
3. Michael Douglas
4. Michael J Fox
5. Aretha Franklin
6. Dave Gahan
7. Johnny Halliday
8. Clive James
9. George Michael
10.Liza Minnelli
11.Reg Presley
12.Phil Spector
13.Michael Winner

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's my 13:
1 Shirley Bassey
2 Duke of Edinburgh
3 Kirk Douglas
4 Steven Hawkings
5 Tom Jones
6 Terry Pratchett
7 Nelson Mandela
8 Margaret Thatcher
9 Ronnie Wood
10 Cliff Richard
11 Mugabe
12 Rod Stewart
and 13 - Fred Phelps. Do I get the 50 bonus points if he is assasinated, particularly if it's by a church member?

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:

and 13 - Fred Phelps. Do I get the 50 bonus points if he is assasinated, particularly if it's by a church member?

Anyone who assassinated him would get hundreds of bonus points from the whole of Christendom.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Imersge Canfield:
My hypothetical list (no hard feelings)

1. Antolin Scalia
2. Joseph Ratzinger
3. Anthony M Kennedy
4. Prince Philip
5. Ruth Bader Ginsburg
6. Margaret Thatcher
7. Stephen G Breyer
8. Sandra Day O'Connor
9. Bruce Forsythe
10. John Paul Stevens
11. George Bush (snr)
12. George Carey
13. Lady Trumpington

I take it you think Obama will be putting a whole new spin on SCOTUS? [Biased]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unless someone kicks the dust in the next two weeks, my 2012 list got skunked. nevertheless, this is my list for 2013:

Stephen Hawking
Muhammad Ali
Ethan Zohn
Terry Pratchett
Charlie Sheen
Hugo Chavez
Hamid Karzai
Scott Hamilton
Michael J. Fox
Mike Tyson
Pete Doherty
Lindsay Lohan
Lance Armstrong

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
I take it you think Obama will be putting a whole new spin on SCOTUS? [Biased]

One can certainly hope. [Cool]

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
quote:

Anyone who assassinated him would get hundreds of bonus points from the whole of Christendom.
... but be disqualified under the terms of Rule 8. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
and 13 - Fred Phelps. Do I get the 50 bonus points if he is assassinated, particularly if it's by a church member?

Only if it's because of a gay sex induced heart attack.

Okay, I've actually been leafing through celebrity gossip mags, etc., so I think reading that trash balances out any bad karma from playing this.

1. Ke$ha
2. Katy Perry
3. Lindsy Lohan (cleaned up her act, but still a bad driver)
4. Jay-Z
5. Brittany Spears
6. Gary Dourdan
7. Shia Labouf
8. Alex Lifeson (guitar player for Rush)
9. Keith Richards
10. Barack Obama
11. Justin Bieber
12. Fidel Castro
13. Hilary Clinton

(Slight change in the lineup there . . .)

[ 17. December 2012, 07:01: Message edited by: Ariston ]

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ariston:
quote:
Lindsy Lohan (cleaned up her act, but still a bad driver)
She's also a bad liar to police.

Poor girl. Unlike Spears, she doesn't have anyone in the corner of sanity in her life.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1. Lindsey Lohan
2. Maggie Thatcher
3. Phil the Greek
4. Nelson Mandela (hope he makes it to New Year!)
5. Clive James
6. Bob Mugabe
7. Cheryl Cole
8. Freddie Starr
9. Jimmy Carter
10. George H W Bush
11. Keith Richard (cos he is mortal!)
12. Father Palsy (Ian Richard Kyle Paisley)
13. Geoffrey Howe-come-he's-still-alive

[ 18. December 2012, 16:30: Message edited by: Matt Black ]

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If anyone's interested, sixteen people have cast their votes (?) so far and the most popular (?) celebrities are the Duke of Edinburgh and Margaret Thatcher with eleven nominations each. Robert Mugabe, Nelson Mandella and Stephen Hawking follow with nine, eight and seven respectively. In total one hundred and twenty two people are on at least one list.

If nobody's interested please ignore my post.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

1. Lindsay Lohan
2. Fidel Castro
3. Stephen Hawking
4. Rush Limbaugh
5. Mary Tyler Moore
6. Hassan Sheikh Mohamud (president of Somalia)
7. Larry Flint
8. Hamid Karzai
9. Brooke Mueller (Charlie Sheen's ex)
10. Michael Douglas
11. Bret Michaels
12. Dick Cheney
13. Tatum O'Neal

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Similar to last year, with one substitution for the only one I called correctly.

From oldest to youngest:

(1) Betty White
(2) Henry Kissinger
(3) Pope Benedict XVI
(4) James Garner (the actor, not the politician)
(5) Helmut Kohl
(6) Jim Bunning
(7) Emperor Akihito
(8) Tom Baker
(9) Henry "Hank" Aaron
(10) Bob Dylan
(11) Hulk Hogan
(12) Macaulay Culkin
(13) Lindsay Lohan

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
ChaliceGirl
Shipmate
# 13656

- Posted      Profile for ChaliceGirl   Email ChaliceGirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1. Margaret Thatcher
2. Billy Graham
3. Nelson Mandela
4. George Herbert Walker Bush
5. Lindsay Lohan
6. Fidel Castro (I think he may be secretly dead already)
7. Pope Benedict XVI
8. Barbara Bush (wife of GHW Bush)
9. Zsa Zsa Gabor (I can't believe she's still around!)
10. Prince Phillip
11. Charlie Sheen (famous for drug use and "winning"
12. Betty White (though I hope not)
13. Chris Christie (US Governor of New Jersey and very overweight)

Posts: 710 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Never played this before...so here goes...

Nelson Mandela
The Duke of Edinburgh
Terry Pratchett
Margaret Thatcher
George Bush (Sen)
George W Bush
Jimmy Carter
Michael Douglas (married to Catherine Zeta Jones)
The Pope
Mick Jagger

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St Everild:
Never played this before...so here goes...

Nelson Mandela
The Duke of Edinburgh
Terry Pratchett
Margaret Thatcher
George Bush (Sen)
George W Bush
Jimmy Carter
Michael Douglas (married to Catherine Zeta Jones)
The Pope
Mick Jagger

You get 3 more selections! 13 choices.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Light User
Apprentice
# 14254

- Posted      Profile for Light User   Email Light User   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1) Sister Wendy Beckett
2) Doris Lessing
3) King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia
4) Rabbi Lionel Blue
5) Princess Lilian of Sweden
6) Ian Brady
7) Tom Finney
8) Anthony Armstrong-Jones, 1st Earl of Snowdon
9) Diana Athill
10) Dave Swarbrick
11) Lord Carrington
12) Sir George Martin
13) Tariq Aziz

--------------------
Vita brevis, ars longa

Posts: 49 | From: Devon | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A bit more analysis:

Margaret Thatcher and Prince Philip are still the front runners for the obituary sections.

Twenty one people have submitted lists although St Everild is currently generously handicapping him/her self.

If everyone on all the lists were to snuff it on the first of January Ariston would win, having chosen younger candidates.

If I keep on doing these posts I might actually remember to put up my own list this year.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1 Margaret Thatcher
2 Prince Philip
3 Tom Baker
4 David Hasselhoff
5 Stephen Hawking
6 Bruce Forsythe
7 Macaulay Culkin
8 Robert Mugabe
9 Archbishop Desmond Tutu
10 Rev Ian Paisley
11 Nelson Mandela
12 Ozzy Osbourne
13 Mary - Kate Olsen

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

quote:
Originally posted by The Rogue:
If everyone on all the lists were to snuff it on the first of January Ariston would win, having chosen younger candidates.

I am really conflicted about this. On the one hand, I've been wanting to know who would win if everybody snuffed it. On the other hand, I am appalled that anybody would actually waste their time figuring it out. How do I say "thank you" and "get a life" at the same time??
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

Short answer: most everybody on my list is under 60, some under 25. It's pretty conspicuous, so it's not like it'd take much time to notice it. I've thought about changing out one or two people for someone older, but . . . naaaaaaah, I'm stickin' with my story.

--------------------

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Much as last year with one alteration.

• Margaret Thatcher
  • Fred Phelps
  • Val Doonican
  • Michael Douglas
  • Bruce Forsyth
  • Barry Manilow
  • Robert Mugabe
  • Ennio Morricone
  • Ian Paisley
  • Terry Pratchett
  • William Roache
  • Anne Robinson
  • Delia Smith

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ian Paisley
Steve Guttenburg (used to be actor)
Nelson Mandela
Robert Mugabe
Arthur Valerian Wellesley, 8th Duke of Wellington(token old dude)
Charles Aznavour
Shane MacGowan
Charles Taylor
Rihanna (token pop star)
Richard Rush (movie director)
Susannah York
Tom Baker
Hugo Chavez

[ 25. December 2012, 00:34: Message edited by: Og: Thread Killer ]

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One member closer to a complete Odd Couple reunion.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:

Charles Taylor

Which one? There are several reasonably well-known in certain circles,

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
Rihanna (token pop star)

So you don't count Shane McGowan as a pop star?

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
quote:

Charles Taylor

Which one? There are several reasonably well-known in certain circles,
Liberian dude

And the Pogues never were pop.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Given that no-one on my list managed to die last year, they should really be paying me a little retainer for having kept them alive. Therefore, I'm going to be terribly unimaginative and list the same people again:

Queen Elizabeth II
Urban Meyer
Katy Perry
Dale Earnhartt Jnr
Cardinal Rigali
Thabo Mbeki
Joe Donnelly
Keith Richards
Vera Lynn
Helen Mirren
Sir Peter Tapsell
Clint Eastwood
Bruce Forsyth

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
An die Freude
Shipmate
# 14794

- Posted      Profile for An die Freude   Email An die Freude   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For those who prefer a bit of science in their predictions, this might be of interest. Apparently rock stars that became famous before 1980 are expected to reach an age of 39 in Europe, 45 in North America. Every fifth North American solo artist dies at a young age - Justin Bieber is sure to make it to my list this year.
Posts: 851 | From: Proud Socialist Monarchy of Sweden | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

My list (only the second I have ever posted because I have forgotten so many times) is:

Jonathan Rhys Meyers
Ethan Zohn
Brooke Burke
Rosie O'Donnell
Melanie Griffith
Martina Navratilova
Sharon Osbourne
David Cassidy
Terry Jones
Judy Blume
Dustin Hoffman
Burt Reynolds
Nelle Harper Lee

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Russell Brand
Jimmy Carter
Fidel Castro
Sir Henry Cecil
Duke of Edinburgh
Bruce Forsyth
Dawn French
Gary Glitter
Denis Healey
Lindsay Lohan
Salman Rushdie
Peter Salllis
Margaret Thatcher

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I changed most of my list this year. Therefore, the ones not making it to this list are doomed.

1. Billy Graham
2. Philip Mountbatten
3. Michael J. Fox
4. Justin Bieber
5. George H W Bush
6. B B King
7. Stephen Hawking
8. Pope Benedict
9. Muhammed Ali
10. Courtney Love
11. Charlie Sheen
12. Lindsay Lohan
13. Helen Mirren

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, here we are again. My somewhat eclectic list:

Tony Iommi
Ian Paisley
Clive James
Liz Dawn
Hugo Chavez
Nelson Mandela
Margaret Thatcher
Sharon Osborne
Richard Attenborough
George H. W. Bush
Hosni Mubarak
The Duke of Edinburgh
Ronnie Biggs

Good luck to all the above.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nearly the same list as last year.

1 Robert Mugabe
2. Margaret Thatcher
3. Fats Domino
4. Little Richard
5. Jerry Lee Lewis
6. Rabbi Lionel Blue
7. Christian Bale
8. Pete Townsend
9. Roger Daltrey
10. Fidel Castro
11. Pete Seeger
12. Bruce Forsyth
13. Vince Cable

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
# 3200

I would be somewhat curious about a demographic study of these lists.

For example, do we tend to choose more men then women? (I now I do)

--------------------

Queen Mousie
Shipmate
# 9925

- Posted      Profile for Queen Mousie   Email Queen Mousie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1. Rev. Billy Graham
2. Fidel Castro
3. Za Za Gabor
4. Doris Day
5. The Pope
6. Lindsey Lohan
7. Jerry Lewis
8. Ex President Bush (senior)
9. Steven Hawking
10. Michael J. Fox
11. Mary-Kate Olson ( looks like a zombie)
12. Charlie Sheen
13. Camilla Duchess of Cornwall

--------------------
Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 167 | From: On a clear day you can see L.A. L.A. Land | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

We now have 31 entries (one with only ten nominees) encompassing 213 celebrity Choir Invisible candidates. Of these, 162 (76%) are male and 51 (24%) female. In terms of votes cast 307 (77%) are male and 93 (23%) are female.

I will look at nationalities but that will take a while and I'll probably wait until next year.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  8  9  10 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016