homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Burnt Offerings: the recipe thread (Page 0)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  17  18  19 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Burnt Offerings: the recipe thread
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks, Pomona.

And CK, for making the point about soaking the ham first. My liquor last year was salty enough for the Dead Sea. (I had forgotten about the slow cooking of that when posting.)

Would the red cabbage do nicely in there, as well?

I have three ways of slow cooking, plus a tiny one which I thought was pointless when Lakeland listed it, but changed my mind when I needed to have breakfast ready upstairs to avoid riling my nasty neighbours in the old place by daring to walk about over them. Not only porage, but also (using a timer for shorter cooking) for more savoury breakfasts as well. Anyway, I could do several slow cooking things at once. (I wonder if I could do bread sauce in the tiny one. Now sold as a chocolate fondue pot.)

I have three because I once lent a three in one device to a neighbour housed by social services without cooking facilities in a flat next door, and never got it back, and wanted to find something I could use the same way - and you know how devices all vary.

[ 08. December 2014, 18:01: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can mincemeat go off? I have just discovered a jar in the back of the cupboard, that I think a friend gave me a couple of years ago. It had been opened and part used, but it looks, tastes and smells ok.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've used 2yr old, opened, mincemeat in the past without coming to harm. It looked a bit dry, so I added a good glug of something alcoholic, which may have killed any bugs.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, this looked a bit dry too so I have sloshed in some brandy. I think I will probably make a mincemeat cake, the baking should kill any lingering bugs.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've used mincemeat, unopened, that was years old. I'm still here.
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Don't know about slow cooker red cabbage (though people use slow cookers for collards etc so it must work, I bet there are recipes) but I know red cabbage cooks really well in the microwave! No recipe since in recent years I have cut corners and gone for Aunt Bessie's [Hot and Hormonal] (But it's genuinely very nice and handy for single people - comes in small blocks like frozen spinach.)

Slow cookers are also brilliant for keeping mulled wine/hot chocolate etc hot for a party - and now I want a slow cooker full of hot toddy!

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I made mince pies completely from scratch for the first time at the weekend - homemade mincemeat as well as pastry. I have never been a great fan of mince pies, but I'm a convert now.
Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The mention above of ham reminded me of the way my late aunt did a baked him. She made a 'stuffing' (which was put in the criss-cross slits on the top). The mixture was of some sort of sharp greens (mustard? kale? turnip?) mixed with bread crumbs and some liquid (stock?)
My memories of it haunt me, but I was too young to be aware of recipes then, and no cookbook seems to cover it.
BTW, this was for a baked, smoked country-cured ham.

Thanks for any help!

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I would like suggestions on how to tweak a recipe. The recipe is for pineapple-nut bread. Aside from flour, sugar, eggs, etc. the main ingredients are crushed pineapple, chopped walnuts, and raisins. The problem is that the bread crumbles too easily when it's sliced.

I wonder what would happen if I used two eggs instead of one. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mertide
Shipmate
# 4500

- Posted      Profile for mertide   Email mertide   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Georgiaboy: Could it be anything like Greens stuffed ham ?
Posts: 382 | From: Brisbane | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There's lots of possibilities for why your bread is crumbly. You might be kneading it too much or too little. If it's whole wheat flour, add some white flour or add some vital gluten.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
There's lots of possibilities for why your bread is crumbly. You might be kneading it too much or too little. If it's whole wheat flour, add some white flour or add some vital gluten.

I imagine it's a "quick bread"- no yeast, no kneading, with baking powder as the leavening agent.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
I imagine it's a "quick bread"- no yeast, no kneading, with baking powder as the leavening agent.

That's right. It is.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mertide:
Georgiaboy: Could it be anything like Greens stuffed ham ?

Certainly similar -- I can probably use this as a model. Thanks!

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
... The problem with the slow cooker is that although most meat comes out falling off the bones and soft, the appearance may well be pallid - and you might need to think through how to give a browned appearance ...

Sear it on all sides in a little hot oil (or a mixture of oil and butter) before you put it into the slow-cooker, then de-glaze the pan with a little of your liquid of choice (wine, beer, stock, whatever), scraping up the browned bits, and tip over the joint in the slow-cooker.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mili

Shipmate
# 3254

- Posted      Profile for Mili   Email Mili   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Has anyone heard of the Herman the German friendship cake trend? Apparently it was big in the 1970s and has made a come back since 2000. The idea is someone makes the beginning of the cake and then splits the batter into four parts and gives three of those to friends to continue the chain and uses the fourth part to complete the cake with other ingredients.

I agreed to take batter from a friend, but after reading the recipe wondered if it wasn't a recipe for food poisoning! The base of the batter is made from yeast, water, milk and sugar and has to be left to rise for 10 days, unrefrigerated, before you make a cake out of it and pass on 3/4 of the batter to friends. You add extra base ingredients on the fifth day.

Anyway, not knowing how long my chain had been going, thinking of what my germaphobe mother would say, but also not wanting to disappoint my friend I compromised and just used the base ingredients to make the cake the next day. There are lots of different recipes, mine is for a raisin and apple cake and used a lot of fresh ingredients that dwarfed the original batter. The cake turned out really well and tastes delicious.

However, I did tell my Mum about it as I plan to bring some to a family event tonight. My housemates and I ate some already and haven't died in the night, but Mum still refuses to eat it. She was ambiguous about me foisting it on the rest of the family since it hasn't killed me. She already has a horror of Herman the Friendship cake as about 30 years ago my Nanna (her mother-in-law) was going on holiday and asked her to mind her unbaked Herman until she got back. Mum refused due to food poisoning concerns and they ended up having quite a nasty tiff about it - as much as you can over a cake. Nanna is still going strong so I better avoid the topic with her too [Smile]

So what do you think? Is Herman the German friendship cake a lovely modern tradition or a recipe for food poisoning and family/friendship fall outs?

Posts: 1015 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There are bacteria and bacteria... There are quite a few foods (and drink) that depend on chemical/biological processes to reach a palatable state. Pre-refrigeration, not a lot of options. I have no problem with things that have been fermented or cured or pickled or rotted or smoked (maybe draw the line at Hákarl). Modern food retailing encourages the idea that food is sterile when fresh, but will become instantly poisonous if left to exceed its Best by date.

I doubt if you can, at this point, free your mother from the conditioning of an industry that makes so much profit from the food we waste. You could you try talking in terms of 'maturing' and 'ripening'.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I had one once - but tended to be at the end of a chain since everyone I knew had also had it. And ginger beer plants. Killed the lot of them. I imagine the yeasts keep other things under control, and you can tell if what's in it has gone off, anyway. Sour doughs manage all right, don't they? And the Polish sklep chap told me that his mother made smatana just by leaving cream uncovered in the dairy (or milking parlour, or somewhere farmish like that). (I like smatana, but nobody sells anything except what has been pasteurised to import now, so I can't culture my own, not having a farm used to making it).
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I first made Herman cake in the eighties, and my DiL reintroduced me to it a few years ago. At neither time did anyone suffer ill-effects from the cooked cake.
I have made ginger beer and apple ale previously, so I had no qualms about using fermented ingredients.

I ran out of friends to pass Herman starters on to, and I was eating too much cake, so I'm not making it any more.
I do keep a starter in the freezer, in case the urge comes upon me again. [Razz]

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Inspired by Dickens' CHRISTMAS CAROL, I propose to make a bowlful of Smoking Bishop for the delectation of the Bible study this Monday. since it is essentially a hot sangria (red wine, spices and orange juice) with the addition of a bottle of port, I expect we'll derive great spiritual benefit.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Including, very possibly, a spirit of repentance the morning after.
Mili

Shipmate
# 3254

- Posted      Profile for Mili   Email Mili   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The cake went down well with the adults - my Mum even ate some and said it was good. I think seeing the finished result rather than the fermenting batter made it look a lot more edible The kids weren't so impressed - one nephew doesn't like apple cake and the other didn't like this one. At least my niece ate a bit [Smile]
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've had Herman the German cake in the past, and it's been very nice. As has already been said, you end up running out of people to give it to, and in the end, I ditched my base mix.
On the other hand, I made Piglet's rice crispie cake last night to take to the after church coffee this morning - we were saying goodbye to two members of the congregation and so were asked to take cakes - and it went down quite nicely! Thank you Piglet!

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Herman arrived in our office about four years ago and several of my colleagues took some of the culture. One person made a raspberry cake with it, which was nice but tasted quite beery. Someone else said her fermented mix overflowed over her kitchen table the next day while she was at work!

The verdict generally was that it was fun to do, but not something that most of us would repeat. Like Mili I had my doubts about it and didn't want to leave it hanging around in my kitchen, but other people seem to have done all right with it.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Glad you (and your friends) enjoyed the rice-krispie bars, St. G! [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Today, inspired by Dickens, I am making smoking bishop. It is essentially a hot sangria, red wine with orange and lemon juices plus spices. I am serving it to the Bible study. I expect that it will be a lively meeting.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've just been watching Nigel Slater making a "lazy loaf", and am minded to try it as I love soda bread. I've posted the recipe in case anyone else feels tempted to try it.

He says you can use yogurt with a bit of milk for pour-ability instead of buttermilk.

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No problem with Herman cake here but I'm happy to make my own soft and hard cheese so have little fear when it comes to bacteria.

Today I made crumpets with my new griddle and crumpet rings and they turned out really well. I might make drop scones later.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Am I alone in never using a wooden spoon - I always think they can never be cleaned properly.
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I use a wooden spoon for just about everything -- and am satisfied that it's sufficiently clean.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

You just need to scrub them briskly directly after use, rather than leaving them to congeal. I have three or four - but I remember as a child one ancient, chipped one, usually employed for stirring jam.

I am sure they are the basis for a sturdy immune system.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

They probably are, but I have my doubts about being able to get something like a tomato and garlic sauce off a wooden spoon.

Some recipes do call for the use of a wooden spoon but are they actually essential in some cases in preference to a metal one?

They also seem a lot bulkier and less comfortable to hold, scrape pans etc, but that could be because I never got used to them.

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wooden spoons are gentle on Teflon pans and not hot if you taste off them.

I remember reading that wooden chopping blocks actually have an anti-bacteria effect in the wood. So it might be better to use a wooden spoon rather than a porous clay spoon. Metal spoons are easier to sterilize of course.

I currently use an occasional wooden spoon and some hi temperature plastic ones which hold up to the dishwasher better.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have several wooden spoons and use them frequently. They are scrubbed every time they are used, and have not caused any spoiled food illnesses!

I find my tallest wooden spoon perfect for use in my stock pot! It's longer than my big stainless steel cooking spoon.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

One experiment we had in primary science was putting a dob of something which melted (can't remember whether it was wax or cooking fat) on the handles of three spoons, wood, plastic, and metal, and then putting the bowls into hot water. Followed by a discussion about which would be safer for stirring hot substances such as jam or other preserves. Wood came out best.
I also use wooden spatulas in stir frying.

Mili

Shipmate
# 3254

My Mum uses wooden spoons so they must be ok [Smile] I tend to mostly use metal spoons for baking, but mainly because they're easier to find. I used to have at least three wooden spoons, but I think two of them moved out with former housemates and sometimes the other one likes to hide.
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We use wooden spoons, scrapers, slides and so forth, and they go through the dishwasher after each use. As soon as a crack starts, the spoon goes out to make starting wood for the next bbq.

We would not use them in non-stick cookware though - that's the time we use teflon utensils. Wood is more gentle than metal, but can still scratch.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

We have a favourite wooden stirrer which we both use when cooking pretty well anything savoury, and it gets scrubbed under a hot tap and then run through the dishwasher each time. We also have a couple of wooden spoons, one with a long handle, which is useful for making jellies and things that are going to be very hot.

I bought one of those blue silicon spatulas that are supposed to be heatproof, but found that it was too bendy, and didn't really do the job very well.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

I can't really think of any other implement which would really work when making a roux, where you need to beat the ingredients quite briskly. A metal spoon would scratch the saucepan and I haven't come across a plastic one that is both shallow-faced and non-bendy enough.
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Help! We were given two tubs of brandy butter after Christmas (The Former Miss S's in-laws had massively over-supplied on accompaniments for the pud). We never eat the stuff; we can't freeze it (and throw it away later [Devil] ) so what the devil ARE we to do with it?

Can I use it to make biscuits or cake or something similar, where butter is called for? Or do we spread it on our toast? I know someone out there will be au fait with uses for this localised EU Brandy Butter Mountain [Ultra confused]

Mrs. S - whoever throws away a third of the food they buy, it isn't the S household [Snigger]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I haven't tried any of these myself, but understand that it's possible to make biscuits, bread and butter pudding, and ice cream with it. So yes, toast would be a possibility (think I might have had that once).

Brandy butter usually contains sugar so is probably best kept for dessert-type things. You might need to adjust the quantities of sugar in recipes for biscuits, etc, to allow for this.

It might be nice on baked/stewed fruit. Apples or plums, perhaps. I have a recipe somewhere for plums cooked with brandy which I remember as being very more-ish, and the sugar in brandy butter could help to cut the tartness of sourer fruit like Bramleys, etc.

[ 29. December 2014, 09:02: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

You're not the only one... According to that site, it makes perfectly good shortcrust for fruit pies.
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I usually have Cointreau butter - now the supermarkets have stopped selling it, I make my own, so have less left over. But when I did have half a tub, it went into the Christmas pudding icecream, along with the Cointreau cream, the crumbled pudding, and a good quality clotted cream icecream. (I have been known to make the icecream from scratch.) Sometimes an extra slosh of liqueur as well.

[ 29. December 2014, 12:22: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

When I was a hungry teenager, I discovered that brandy sauce is delicious spread on a vanilla wafer and topped with another vanilla wafer.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My wife and I spent the first year of our married life in Lisbon, Portugal. Ever since then we have had the traditional Portuguese dish "baclhau a bras" for our Christmas Eve dinner (in fact the whole meal is Portuguese, washed down with a good "vinho verde").

This year I boobed. I bought the cream for the bacalhau and put it into the fridge. Later my wife cooked with it; on tasting the dish she felt that it was odd. It was only later that I discovered that I hadn't purchased cream but brandy sauce! Unfortunately the packaging (from a well-known British supermarket whose name begins with an "S") was very similar to that of single cream. This did not create a "great new taste sensation"; it all had to be thrown out, and we had a very nice (but not home-made) fish pie instead.

I have now been allowed to leave the doghouse (on licence).

[ 29. December 2014, 16:25: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
Help! We were given two tubs of brandy butter after Christmas...what the devil ARE we to do with it?

Give it to me, I love the stuff.

Failing that, I discovered ths year it's very nice on porridge.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Freeze it: then use on hot desserts as you would ice cream or clotted cream.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
... do we spread it on our toast?

Yes!!! If it's anything like the Cumberland rum butter we get from a friend every Christmas, it's absolutely delicious on toast.

Possibly better yet on toasted raisin-bread, which has just reminded me that we've got raisin-bread in the larder and rum butter in the fridge ... [Smile]

I should add that in almost any other form, I absolutely loathe rum, but M's rum butter is Something Else.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Kind of sticking with the toast theme, and prompted by a couple of posts on the Marmalade and Toast quiz in the Circus, what do people like on their toast, and more particularly with their cheese on toast?

Someone (I think it was WW) mentioned Branston™ pickle on the side (which sounds rather yummy); whenever I have cheese on toast I sprinkle it with a couple of drops of Worcestershire sauce. Any other traditions/ideas?

PS Mentioning Marmite™ is permitted ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Whoa, nineteen pages!

Time to reboot, I think.

Firenze
Heaven Host

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  17  18  19 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016