homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Churchmanship of Anglican religious orders in England (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Churchmanship of Anglican religious orders in England
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone know how the various Anglican religious orders in England vary by churchmanship? I am mostly thinking of women's orders, though probably because there are just more Anglican nuns than monks! I am still interested in all orders though. For example, is the Community of St Mary the Virgin FiF in all their houses, or just in Walsingham? The religious order I am most familiar with is the Community of the Holy Name in Derby, but I am not sure of their churchmanship.

Usual DH clarification - I'm not discussing the merits of FiF or any other churchmanship position, just which orders belong in which group.

[ 10. January 2015, 16:51: Message edited by: seasick ]

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
TomM
Shipmate
# 4618

- Posted      Profile for TomM     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As far as I'm aware, they are all broadly catholic - other brands seem less interested in the traditional religious life! Eucharistic devotion (especially amongst Franciscans), reservation and daily mass as such a part of the tradition leave it with particular roots.

Within that, there is some variety, often within communities.

Mucknell Abbey (mixed) is toward the less-traddie end of the spectrum - the daily eucharist there is celebrated in rotation by the Abbot (male, Anglican), one of the nuns (Anglican) and one of the monks (Methodist - no bishop involved in his ordination at all).

Mirfield contains a wide spectrum of views - some of the community are actively involved in the various Catholic Societies, others are fully in favour of the ordination of women to all three orders.

As a whole C/SSF are again less than traditionalist, but very mixed - many of the CSF sisters are ordained, though some of the men of SSF are also members of FiF. I believe only the priest-friars of SSF minister to the Poor Clares, not any of CSF.

I can't speak from personal association of any of the other communities, though I know Community of the Holy Cross has some links with SSC. And CHN certainly have one of their daughter houses in a liberal-catholic parish in Manchester (though it has no female clergy on staff at present) and they are very involved in the parish.

[ 22. March 2014, 11:58: Message edited by: TomM ]

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is not something I know much about. However, I would have thought quite a key indicator for women's orders will be whether an ordained Sister celebrates a daily Eucharist, or whether they still have a male nuns' priest.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tom M

quote:

I believe only the priest-friars of SSF minister to the Poor Clares, not any of CSF.

No. Firstly the Anglican order is CSC (Community of St Clare, Poor Clares are all Roman Catholic). Secondly I have been staying as a guest when a CSF Priest has been acting as Chaplain to the convent.

The stance then by the convent was that they were quite happy to have women priests but did not feel that being a priest was compatible with their contemplative vocation. They also were clearly feminist in stance, more so than I am. This included using the alternative Gloria in daily prayer.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is an evangelical Anglican order of nuns - I forget the name though. But I meant churchmanship more in terms of conservatism-liberalism, clearly most will be catholic and I thought that was obvious. Sorry!

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Society of the Sacred Mission, originally based at Kelham, was 'prayer book catholic'. I think they'd be described as 'affirming/liberal catholic now.'

Re the Wantage sisters, didn't they split when one of their nuns was ordained priest?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do recall some surprise from English shipmates when (most of) the American congregation of the All Saints Sisters of the Poor swam the Tiber. In Maryland, they wear traditional black habits, keep the full Monastic Diurnal, and receive priestly ministry only from men. I gather that, to say the least, is not so in England.
Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
TomM
Shipmate
# 4618

- Posted      Profile for TomM     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
@Jengie

I stand corrected!

I did mean CSC - though they are frequently referred to as Poor Clares by some in SSF!

And their position on the difference of vocation is an important one - the religious vocation is very much a different thing to the priestly one (speaking as someone trying to discern whether the call is one or the other or both!)

Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Community of St Mary the Virgin, Wantage, Oxon have now split - 10 of the nuns now formed into The Sisters of the Blessed Virgin Mary; under Rome via the Ordinariate.

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alton Abbey is the sunny side of Anglo-Catholic. We used the Roman Missal until the new translation; now it's CW with B5 variations. Opinions vary on the OoW and several women clergy are associated with the Abbey in various ways which they presumably wouldn't do if they felt discomfited.

SSM in Hackney have at least priest-sisters.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Corrected by Qoheleth.:

SSM in Hackney have at least two priest-sisters.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
jade Constable wrote -
quote:
- But I meant churchmanship more in terms of conservatism-liberalism...
Oh Lord. I hope that's not become the defining criterion of churchmanship (such as it is).

Do you think it might be? In your original query in the Styx you seemed to think there may be other criteria.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Honest Ron Bacardi:
jade Constable wrote -
quote:
Oh Lord. I hope that's not become the defining criterion of churchmanship (such as it is).

Do you think it might be? In your original query in the Styx you seemed to think there may be other criteria.

Well, it is with Anglican religious orders. There aren't going to be many Charismatic Evangelical Benedictines, for example. By definition if you sign up to the religious life, as an Anglican, you are going to be some kind of Catholic.

Now I take your point that if we were dealing with parish churches there might be more interesting questions as to where they stood on various Dead Horses but, for example, when I used to regularly say Mass at a Convent it was fairly obvious that they were AC and the only question was which sort of AC they were.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by Honest Ron Bacardi:
jade Constable wrote -
quote:

Of course it's not the only criteria for churchmanship when it comes to churches! However, religious orders are going to be overwhelmingly catholic....because they're religious orders.

--------------------

Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know The Daily Office SSF is very closely related to CW but what about the other orders/communities?

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
CR Mirfield use an adapted version of CW

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
... However, religious orders are going to be overwhelmingly catholic....because they're religious orders.

That's so, but I've long been puzzled why? There are quite as lot of communities that are not 'catholic', though they tend not to have permanent vows, and there's a lot about the SA looks very like an order.

--------------------

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Compulsory celibacy. . Catholics get it, the rest of us find it an alien and irrelevant imposition.

Which is why the nearest to religious orders evangelicals get is the SA. And maybe some missionary societies.

Effectively all Anglican religious. orders are liberal-catholic, pretty much by definition. If the members weren't catholic they'd not feel the need to join an order. And if the weren't liberal they'd join Catholic orders. And it can't hurt that effectively all CofE bishops, deans, and cathedrals are liberal-catholic. Its the prevailing wind.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:
I know The Daily Office SSF is very closely related to CW but what about the other orders/communities?

Thurible

I felt moved to research my copy of Anglican Religious Life to see how many Anglican communities in the U.K. use the Roman Catholic Liturgy of the Hours: either The Divine Office (the three-volume full LotH) or Daily Prayer (the one-volume breviary that lacks the Office of Readings). There are four:

1. Community of All Hallows, Bungay, Suffolk: Daily Prayer
2. Edgware Abbey, Middlesex: Divine Office
3. Sisters of Charity, Plympton, Plymouth: Daily Prayer
4. Society of St Margaret, Walsingham, Norfolk: Divine Office

At #4 above, they pray the Office of Readings and Morning Prayer at 7am, Midday Prayer at 12.45pm, Evening Prayer at 5, and Night Prayer at 8.45. Mass at 9.30am.

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
Compulsory celibacy. . Catholics get it, the rest of us find it an alien and irrelevant imposition.

Which is why the nearest to religious orders evangelicals get is the SA. And maybe some missionary societies.

Effectively all Anglican religious. orders are liberal-catholic, pretty much by definition. If the members weren't catholic they'd not feel the need to join an order. And if the weren't liberal they'd join Catholic orders. And it can't hurt that effectively all CofE bishops, deans, and cathedrals are liberal-catholic. Its the prevailing wind.

Not true - there is an evangelical order of nuns in the CoE. I forget the name, sorry, but they exist! Also not all religious are celibate - Third Order religious and oblates do not have to be celibate, nor do members of New Monasticism groups.

--------------------

Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

quote:
... effectively all CofE bishops [...] are liberal-catholic.

Really??!! It doesn't feel like that in not-Westphalia, I can tell you. But that would be an egregious tangent.

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by Qoheleth.:
quote:
... effectively all CofE bishops [...] are liberal-catholic.

Really??!! It doesn't feel like that in not-Westphalia, I can tell you. But that would be an egregious tangent.
I missed this! Ken, this is far from the truth and you know it. +Bradford, +Chichester, +Coventry, +Liverpool....there are many bishops who are not liberal catholic, I'd say the majority. Just because Wallace Benn has gone doesn't mean it's a hotbed of liberal catholics!

--------------------

Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:

Alton uses a modified version of the LotH, which I believe originated at Farnborough.

--------------------

Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm. I don't know. Maybe ken has a point.

Probably in exactly the same way that all Anglican evangelicals are really liberal evangelicals - if they weren't they would leave the Babylonian captivity of the CofE.

No, it's not a tu quoque argument. I mean it.

I suppose there is a sort of inevitability about liberalism, at least insofar as its subscribers see it (see threads on Butterfield passim ). It's got its own teleology. Which is rather the point - it isn't the church's teleology. I'm less clear on the matter of religious conservatism, but that's a bit irrelevant as I'm even less attracted to it than liberalism.

Which brings us full circle to Anglican catholic orders. If, as Gildas suggests, they are going to be likely either liberal or conservative, then whatever else they are, they aren't catholic. Which is why I lean to agreeing with ken.

Of course, if you are evangelical CofE, then you'll need to construct your own parallel narrative on this subject.

[ 23. March 2014, 21:16: Message edited by: Honest Ron Bacardi ]

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ken

Really

Ok you do need the terminology to know what you are looking for, but I think the following is a good start.

Firstly lets start with Christian Intentional Communities yes all four pages of them. Then just in case we have missed some there is rather thorough listing by an off shoot of the Jesus Army and though it concentrates on Protestant ones I can safely say they are not all loony Evangelical by a mile.

Now let me do one of my favourite postings with this group of Deaconesses, and please check out their links. They are also part of Diakonia which describes itself as "World Federation of Diaconal Associations and Diaconal Communities". There are several Diaconal Associations in UK.

Now for the really old stuff. The Moravian Settlement at Ockbrook had separate houses for Brothers and Sisters as was usual in Moravian Settlements and then the Quakers (of all groups) did something similar (there is one near Sheffield, but I have only heard and not visited).

The old idea that Protestants and Evangelicals do not do religious orders/communities just does not stand up to closer inspection.

Jengie

Oh did anyone know there are now Anglican Cistercians

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The idea of the 'church house' or intentional community that's attached to a particular congregation seems to be fairly well-known in the Methodist Church. It involves a group of young(ish) single Christians living and praying together. Their joint spiritual life is meant to feed into the wider church community.

I also know of one that's recently started up in connection with a local Baptist church. I think it also has a discipling goal, since many of the young people at that church are converts who don't have much family support in their Christian journey.

I doubt that these groups generally see themselves as 'religious orders', although that history has obviously influenced them in various ways.

More formally, the Methodists also have Deacons, who are seen as a kind of religious order. In the circuit I know, the female Deacon (not 'Deaconess') plays a vital role. Deacons are ordained, but aren't necessarily preachers.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
The idea of the 'church house' or intentional community that's attached to a particular congregation seems to be fairly well-known in the Methodist Church. It involves a group of young(ish) single Christians living and praying together. Their joint spiritual life is meant to feed into the wider church community.

I also know of one that's recently started up in connection with a local Baptist church. I think it also has a discipling goal, since many of the young people at that church are converts who don't have much family support in their Christian journey.

I doubt that these groups generally see themselves as 'religious orders', although that history has obviously influenced them in various ways.

More formally, the Methodists also have Deacons, who are seen as a kind of religious order. In the circuit I know, the female Deacon (not 'Deaconess') plays a vital role. Deacons are ordained, but aren't necessarily preachers.

I know the Methodist community house at Selly Oak well since a number of the residents are past or present SCM staff (SCM is based in Birmingham). While it isn't like a traditional religious order in terms of vows of celibacy, poverty and obedience, it certainly has a 'living in common with each other' ethos, particularly the shared garden.

Of course, the Jesus Army is a well-known evangelical group who live in community with one another - I think they used to be part of the BUGB? Celibacy is very much encouraged for Jesus Army members.

--------------------

HughWillRidmee
Shipmate
# 15614

- Posted      Profile for HughWillRidmee   Email HughWillRidmee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
S. O. L. I.

"The Society of Our Lady of the Isles is a religious community of the Scottish Episcopal Church and is based on the Island of Fetlar, in the north of the Shetland Isles. Prayer is at the heart of the community's existence and its rule is partly Celtic and partly Carthusian, enabling a life of solitude within a community."

Don't ask!

--------------------
The danger to society is not merely that it should believe wrong things.. but that it should become credulous, and lose the habit of testing things and inquiring into them...
W. K. Clifford, "The Ethics of Belief" (1877)

Posts: 894 | From: Middle England | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Jade

Those vows of the Franciscans, other orders have other vows. The Benedictine Vows are about half way down this page. This confusion is common and particularly ironic as the Franciscans are not true Monastics but an order of Friars, as are Dominicans and I think Jesuits.

Note broadly speaking and to my understanding there are three types of religious in the sense of a vowed life: the monastic, the friar and the hermit. They have different Charism.

Jengie

[ 24. March 2014, 08:22: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------

Back to my blog

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Jade

Those vows of the Franciscans, other orders have other vows. The Benedictine Vows are about half way down this page. This confusion is common and particularly ironic as the Franciscans are not true Monastics but an order of Friars, as are Dominicans and I think Jesuits.

Note broadly speaking and to my understanding there are three types of religious in the sense of a vowed life: the monastic, the friar and the hermit. They have different Charism.

Jengie

You are correct regarding monastics, friars (and sisters) and hermits/anchorites. There are also tertiaries and oblates who take some vows but do not have to live by full monastic solemn vows, and live regular lives.

Benedictine and Augustinian vows are different but there are others who take vows of chastity, poverty and obedience eg the Community of St John the Divine (who are not Franciscans). Iirc Anglican religious orders are more likely to not follow any particular rule alone, but combine elements of several rules. The Sisters of The Love Of God, I believe, are very influenced by Carmelite orders but also have other influences (though they wear the Carmelite habit and are outwardly very Carmelite).

--------------------

Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It occurs to me that the Shakers (all three of them) may be surprised to learn this, but more seriously I wonder if it is one factor in the relative popularity of neo-monasticism over traditional Benedictine or Augustinian religious profession. My course on religious life, for instance, was not at Trinity, but the Other Place, and a good many of my classmates were members of a local intentional community, including several couples*.

Much of this trend (I don't mean in the sense of "trendy") seems to be tied to what I suppose is called "convergent church" - the people who make it up seem to come from a largely evangelical background and idiom but "fuse" it with the sacramental/liturgical sensibility of the monastic Fathers and Mothers. The residency of Chemin Neuf at Lambeth Palace strikes me as a manifestation of the same phenomenon.

*The (in)famous and once loosely Episcopal-affiliated Community of Jesus on Cape Cod also includes entire family households, as well as single people.

[ 24. March 2014, 14:09: Message edited by: LQ ]

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is all very confusing, no? I once knew the Prior of the Anglican Cistercians as the curate of a (very) inner-city South London parish.....it seems half a century ago........

We have a Third Order Franciscan or two in the congregation at Our Place (another urban backstreet parish), but, alas, owing to various reasons known only to the Holy Spirit (and I'm not even too sure about Her), the TSSF has almost a minus influence.......

......please God, send us some practical and pragmatic Benedictine nuns. I don't care about their churchmanship, as long as they wear sensible shoes..!!

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
This is all very confusing, no? I once knew the Prior of the Anglican Cistercians as the curate of a (very) inner-city South London parish.....it seems half a century ago........

We have a Third Order Franciscan or two in the congregation at Our Place (another urban backstreet parish), but, alas, owing to various reasons known only to the Holy Spirit (and I'm not even too sure about Her), the TSSF has almost a minus influence.......

......please God, send us some practical and pragmatic Benedictine nuns. I don't care about their churchmanship, as long as they wear sensible shoes..!!

Ian J.

I am only really familiar with Canterbury and the surrounding villages as far as Kent goes, but the nuns at Malling Abbey are Anglican Benedictines.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed they are, Jade, but AFAIK they are an enclosed/contemplative version of the Order......I was thinking more of those OSB nuns who play more of an active role (not sure if that's the right word, as prayer is hardly passive) in needy parishes. Hopefully YSWIM!

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jade -

the evangelical religious order you mention are probably The Sisters of Jesus. (I haven't googled them.)

The sisters at Walsingham are FiF and Society of St Margaret. The house of SSM at Haggerston/Hackney, as someone said, have women priest members.

The Benedictine sisters at Costock (formerly Rempstone) do not accept women priests as far as I know. Those are the only two communities that are FiF as far as I know.

I've just stayed at the Benedictine nuns at West Malling. None of them are ordained, but they have at least one woman priest on their rota of priests to preside at the daily eucharist.

On Saturday afternoon guests can join with some sisters in a study of the Sunday readings. When I was there one other guest (a frequent one too) was Methodist, one used The Message as her regular Bible and one the NIV. Which would imply the austere and simple life appeals to some evangelicals.

I've heard of cases of evangelical joining religious orders, I imagine because they represent serious commitment.

It is perfectly possible to be a woman priest and not be a theological liberal.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:

Ian J.

A minus influence? What do you mean by that?

Carys TSSF

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
Jade -

the evangelical religious order you mention are probably The Sisters of Jesus. (I haven't googled them.)

The sisters at Walsingham are FiF and Society of St Margaret. The house of SSM at Haggerston/Hackney, as someone said, have women priest members.

The Benedictine sisters at Costock (formerly Rempstone) do not accept women priests as far as I know. Those are the only two communities that are FiF as far as I know.

I've just stayed at the Benedictine nuns at West Malling. None of them are ordained, but they have at least one woman priest on their rota of priests to preside at the daily eucharist.

On Saturday afternoon guests can join with some sisters in a study of the Sunday readings. When I was there one other guest (a frequent one too) was Methodist, one used The Message as her regular Bible and one the NIV. Which would imply the austere and simple life appeals to some evangelicals.

I've heard of cases of evangelical joining religious orders, I imagine because they represent serious commitment.

It is perfectly possible to be a woman priest and not be a theological liberal.

I think you are right re the Sisters of Jesus - they wear blue habits and I think, Exclusive Brethren type headscarves.

I am well-aware that not all female priests are not theological liberals, and neither are all those in favour of female clergy! I wasn't actually trying to say that conservatism = FiF, but rather that FiF congregations/orders tend to be conservative. I'm aware that theological conservatism is broader than that. I wouldn't class myself as liberal as I am perfectly orthodox in upholding the historic creeds of the Church, although I don't identify as conservative either and am aware that I am seen as liberal by many conservatives (especially those outside of Anglicanism).

--------------------

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The members of religious communities are voluntarily celibate.

I find compulsory heterosexuality an alien and irrelevant imposition.

(PS Jade - I'm sorry if I seemed to criticise you. I was just adding a clarification.)

--------------------

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

The members of religious communities are voluntarily celibate.

I find compulsory heterosexuality an alien and irrelevant imposition.

Indeed. Vowed celibacy in community or not is a way of life to which some are called as others are called to matrimony.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

Venbede - not at all, I realised I should probably clarify!

--------------------

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

I sensed some questionable issues behind Ken's post.

However, I am sure celibacy is probably the main issue why there are falling vocations and so many closing communities.

People just can't imagine that anyone can live without a sex life. And that is why they would probably regard ken's church as narrow minded if it only accepts sexual intimacy as permissible between heterosexual married couples. I imagine most evangelicals would officially expect all single people to remain chaste outside matrimony.

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

quote:
... People just can't imagine that anyone can live without a sex life. And that is why they would probably regard ken's church as narrow minded if it only accepts sexual intimacy as permissible between heterosexual married couples. I imagine most evangelicals would officially expect all single people to remain chaste outside matrimony.

It is the expectation that the whole of Christendom took for granted from the New Testament until the last 10/15 years or so ago, well within the lifetime of anyone now an adult.

For those that regard Tradition as having any degree of authority at all, it's quite hard to be persuaded of there being any legitimate way round that one, but I hear the sound of a spectral neighing.

What's possibly more of an issue, isn't the widespread demand that everyone is entitled to genital sex more or less whenever and with whoever they please. It's that celibacy is also a commitment to eschewing particularity, pairing off with one permanent, faithful, life companion.

--------------------

Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

venbede wrote:
quote:
However, I am sure celibacy is probably the main issue why there are falling vocations and so many closing communities.

I'm sure it's a factor - for some people or maybe all people. Certainly all have to consider it so it's inevitable some will decide against the life of a religious on that basis.

But is it the main reason? I'm far less certain about that. The rise in vocations on Mt. Athos (Orthodoxy) and to the stricter Catholic orders in N. America rather argue against that. I think you would need to look at a raft of other reasons and work out where the balance lay. I have no idea what those reasons may be, but either together or individually, there seems to be evidence there is something more important there.

None of which should divert attention away from the fact that there are other orders.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Its not so much that peope want to ahve sex - if they want that they won;t become celibates whatever denomination they are - as that compulsory prioestly (or monkish) celibacy seems culturally alien. A bit weird. Odd. People are suspicious of celibates.

Not so much an evangelical thing as a northern European thing. Though as evangelicalism (or indeed Protestantism in general) originated is pretty much an enculturation of orthodox Christianity into northern Europe, the two are hard to separate.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

- Posted      Profile for Pancho   Author's homepage   Email Pancho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Its not so much that peope want to ahve sex - if they want that they won;t become celibates whatever denomination they are - as that compulsory prioestly (or monkish) celibacy seems culturally alien. A bit weird. Odd. People are suspicious of celibates.

Not so much an evangelical thing as a northern European thing. Though as evangelicalism (or indeed Protestantism in general) originated is pretty much an enculturation of orthodox Christianity into northern Europe, the two are hard to separate.

As sympathetic as I am to attempts at enculturation I don't buy the theory that that this is "a northern European thing". Among other things there was a rich monastic culture in the Celtic lands which helped evangelize Germany and other places on the Continent. They didn't seem to have a problem with celibacy or monasticism.

--------------------
“But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places and calling to their playmates, ‘We piped to you, and you did not dance;
we wailed, and you did not mourn.’"

Posts: 1988 | From: Alta California | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

quote:
People are suspicious of celibates.

And straight men are suspicious of women who want to live their own lives without other men.

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:

I don't think it's true about suspicion of celibacy being a Northern European thing - celibate religious and priests weren't short of candidates before the Reformation. However, I think that the RCC's (pre-Reformation at least) over-endorsement of celibacy perhaps led to evangelicalism's over-endorsement of the nuclear family being for everyone. God calls some to celibacy, and some to marriage. Both are good vocations and both should be supported and encouraged by the Church. In my experience of evangelical churches at least (and I have spent more time in evangelical churches than other ones), celibacy is seen as either suspiciously Romish or suspiciously un-heterosexual. That does a huge disservice to those called to celibacy, as some evangelicals are - and it doesn't make them bad evangelicals.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

I am afraid I do not buy the celibacy idea. Firstly there were Protestant celibate groups. The Methodist Diaconal Order was and I suspect so was the URC one (closed) and the CofS. These however felt the pressure in the 1970s when the URC one closed, and the Methodist one accepts that Deacons could be married (Rita Savage was the first Deacon to be allowed to remain a Deacon and married). In other words, the CofE orders are thirty to forty years too late for that argument.

So I am going to suggest something else, the ordination of Women. The Diaconal orders grew up as an alternative to ordination for women. Yes Anglican Religious Orders are predominantly female. The timing of the creation of Anglican Religious orders is very similar, they both came around late nineteenth century. When you compare the Anglican Orders with the Continental Diaconals the differences you see here disappear.

The thirty years is simply explained by the difference in the timing of women's ordination. Methodists did it in 1960s as did CofS and Presbyterian Church of England. Congregationalists were of course earlier.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

Actually, in my diaconal ministry class, I wrote my paper on the link between the diaconal and monastic revivals in the Church of England, noting that the first pioneers of each went hand in hand (e.g. Elizabeth Ferrar and the Community of St Andrew, who continue to have a charism of "diakonia" though I don't believe the sisters today are required to be in deacon's orders per se). I also postulated that the focus on establishing "active" orders may have been necessary to ward off Protestant suspicions of the Maria Monk type. (The polemics of the day often bend over to clarify that they are not derogating the "good works" of these "ladies"). As it happens, the lecturer thought I leaned too hard on the connexion, but I still think JJ has it right.

[ 25. March 2014, 08:38: Message edited by: LQ ]

seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
So I am going to suggest something else, the ordination of Women. The Diaconal orders grew up as an alternative to ordination for women. Yes Anglican Religious Orders are predominantly female. The timing of the creation of Anglican Religious orders is very similar, they both came around late nineteenth century. When you compare the Anglican Orders with the Continental Diaconals the differences you see here disappear.

Actually, that doesn't quite stack up with the Methodist experience. When we ordained women to the presbyterate they closed the Wesley Deaconess Order - as in, they stopped accepting new deaconesses. Some were ordained presbyter and some carried on, but it was accepted that it would eventually die out. However, our experience was that people were still being called to diaconal ministry and the Conference re-opened the order as the Methodist Diaconal Order, open to women and men, a religious order (with a rule of life) and an order of minstry, ordained to the diaconate of the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church.

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016