homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Knockout Quiz 2006 (Page 0)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  31  32  33 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Knockout Quiz 2006
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Given the demographic, I would put together a few pies rather than piecharts...

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a dream.

I am not unmindful that some of you have come here out of great trials and tribulations. Some of you have come fresh from narrow jail cells. Some of you have come from areas where your quest for freedom left you battered by the storms of persecution and staggered by the winds of church brutality. You have been the veterans of creative suffering. Continue to work with the faith that unearned suffering is redemptive.

I say to you today, my friends, so even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in cyberspace.

I have a dream that one day this internet-ional community will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all posts are created equal."

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Internet Explorer the sons of former Linux users and the sons of former mac owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even the ship, a ship sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in an internet community where they will not be judged by the eloquence of their posting but by the content of their character.
I have a dream today.

This is our hope. This is the faith that I go back to the Ship with. With this faith we will be able to hew out of the mountain of despair a stone of hope. With this faith we will be able to transform the jangling discords of our boards into a beautiful symphony of brotherhood. With this faith we will be able to work together, to pray together, to struggle together, to go to jail together, to stand up for freedom together, knowing that the net will be free one day.

Let freedom ring from the Styx!

Let freedom ring from Purgatory!

But not only that; let freedom ring from Hell!

Let freedom ring from The Circus!

And when this happens, When we allow freedom to ring, when we let it ring from every I.P. and every address, from every packet and every socket, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, internet savvy and newbie, one-line quipper and blogger will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual, "Free at last! free at last! thank God Almighty, we are free at last!"

I have a dream.

--------------------

Lady A

Narnian Lady
# 3126

- Posted      Profile for Lady A   Author's homepage   Email Lady A   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to go with AR - what in the world????

No, mine is more of a 'take the first sentence, underneath put the alphabet, then take the alphabet to rewrite the sentence' kind of thing. I don't think that's the same thing!

Additional hints can be had by PMing me.

Posts: 2545 | From: The Lion's Mane, Narnia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
chicklegirl
Shipmate
# 11741

- Posted      Profile for chicklegirl   Author's homepage   Email chicklegirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My manifesto for the final round (with apologies to St. Matthew):

AND seeing the multitudes of shipmates, he went up into the Ship: and the hosts and admins came unto him: and he taught them, saying,

Blessed are the poor in post count: for their posts shall increase in Heaven.
Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted in All Saints.
Blessed are the meek inquirers: for they shall inherit the Styx.
Blessed are they which do hunger after scriptural knowledge: for they shall be filled with Kerygmania.
Blessed are the liturgical: for they shall obtain Ecclesiantics.
Blessed are the pure in thread: for they shall see Limbo.
Blessed are the funmakers: for they shall be called the children of the Circus.
Blessed are those threads flogged unto death: for they shall be Dead Horses.
Blessed are ye, when trolls and flamebaiters shall revile you, for ye may thrust them down to Hell.

Ye are the salt of the Ship: but if the Ship has lost its savour, wherewith shall it be salted? It is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and trodden under foot of sockpuppets. Whosoever therefore shall break one of the Ship’s ten commandments, shall be called the least in the Ship: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called to host.

Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, thou shalt not flame; but I say unto you, that whosoever is a jerk unto a shipmate is in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall attack the person and not the issue, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall get personal, shall be in danger of Hell fire. Therefore if thou bring thy post to the thread, and there rememberest that thy shipmate hath ought against thee; first be reconciled to thy shipmate, and then come and offer thy post.

Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, thou shalt not commit sockpuppetry: but I say unto you, that whosoever looketh on a new username without a name change amnesty hath committed sockpuppetry already in his heart. And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, before typing in a sockpuppet, and not that thou should be banned from the Ship.

Ye have heard that it hath been said, thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. But I say unto you, love your enemies, post nice things about them that flame you, send chocolate to hosts and admins even when you disagree with them, and pray for them which get on your nerves; that ye may be the children of the Ship of Fools: for the Ship maketh itself for the benefit of the cranky and the kind, and is a cybercommunity for the cheerful and the churlish.

Be ye therefore perfect, even as the Ship of Fools itself is perfect in its disorganized religion.

--------------------
If you want to be happy, be.
~ Henry David Thoreau

Posts: 916 | From: Sixth Circle of Hell | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
{On engraved stationery with real silver ink from the depths of the Also-Ran Luxury Suite.}

I've posted some starter tips on decoding my code, over on the other quiz board, on the "Golden Key" thread in the "Codebreakers" section.

{Sends catered buffet down to the final competitors. Arranges for couturiers, tailors, and stylists to polish them up for the last part of the contest.}

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
chicklegirl
Shipmate
# 11741

- Posted      Profile for chicklegirl   Author's homepage   Email chicklegirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
{Sends catered buffet down to the final competitors. Arranges for couturiers, tailors, and stylists to polish them up for the last part of the contest.}

[Overused] (manicured hand flips back elegantly coiffed hair) I'm feeling rather resplendant--and the prime rib was delectable! Thanks to the gracious host/ess in the Also-ran box on high! [Overused]

--------------------
~ Henry David Thoreau

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
{Nods regally but not arrogantly at Chicklegirl while swinging in hammock, watching 80s movies, and eating chocolate-covered raspberries.}

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
***comet steps up to the handy podium in the Also-Ran box and clears her throat as the applause dies down.***

In a world shrinking in size, we are coming to know those whom we once would have called strangers. Foreigners. Others.

Today, the “neighbor” in “love thy neighbor” isn’t just the difficult man down the street or your annoying coworker or that nice woman from the supermarket. Your neighbor is someone from perhaps another country, with other customs and even languages than your own. yet, as children of God, we are still called upon to love them all.

Perhaps, this new neighbor isn’t so geologically far away, but comes from a different political or faith background. Perhaps they life a lifestyle you believe to be repugnant, or amoral.

But Jesus told us to love them.

This is our calling, our blessing and our greatest challenge.

In this shrinking world, it is easy to find “like minds” to spend time with. It’s easiest - the path of least resistance - to discuss difficult topics with those who agree.

But we are not called upon to love those who join the same clubs or churches as us. We are not called upon to love the pretty, the smart, or the kind. We are called upon to love our neighbors - all of them.

And so I welcome you to the Ship of Fools. A place where all neighbors are, or can be, represented. A place where you have to get past your biases to get along. A place where that Love that God demands of us is real, and hard, and a daily stretch of our comfort zones.

On the Ship, you will learn about your neighbors. You will pray for them, fight with them, play with them, and grieve with them. Better, you will be held accountable for what you say and do, and will grow. This is not easy, but it is what God demands of us.

Love.

So climb aboard. Read what your neighbors say. They will shock you. Disgust you. Anger you. They will also make you laugh, and weep. And if you are strong enough, and stick around, you will learn to love them.

Which is all He ever asked.

Thank you.

(350 words)

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lady A

Narnian Lady
# 3126

- Posted      Profile for Lady A   Author's homepage   Email Lady A   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chickegirl has solved my code! Congrats to her and I'm hoping she gives the book a read!

'perhaps I should offer a copy to people who crack it' - Lady A muses

Posts: 2545 | From: The Lion's Mane, Narnia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

- Posted      Profile for Liberty   Email Liberty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
i'm starting to see a direct correlation between chelsea NOT being top of the league and the existence of this quiz!

stop it now - toss a coin! declare StevieBoyWonder the winner.

come on - for the good of Shevchenko's health! please quizzie, pretty please!

--------------------
"I'ma be what I set out to be, without a doubt, undoubtedly"

Posts: 1879 | From: SW2 to 20009 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A NEW ROPE

It is a period of frequent posting.
Rebel bulletin boards, striking
from a hidden site, have won
their first victory against
the evil Sockpuppet Empire.

During the battle, Shipmate
spies managed to steal secret
plans to the Empire's
ultimate weapon, the DEATH
GADGETS FOR GOD, an armored space
bobblehead with enough power to
destroy an entire brain.

Pursued by the Empire's
sinister agents, Princess
Erin races home aboard her
ship-of-fools, custodian of the
stolen plans that can save her
people and restore
laughter to the galaxy....

Return of the Captain
Simon has returned to his home planet of Styx in an attempt to rescue his friend Ancient Mariner from the clutches of the vile gangster Chick the Tract.
Little does Simon know that the Sockpuppet Empire has secretly begun construction on a new armored space bobblehead even more powerful than the first dreaded Gadget Star.
When completed, this ultimate weapon will spell certain doom for the small band of fools struggling to restore freedom of worship to the galaxy…

Attack of the Clowns
There is unrest in the Fruitcake Zone. Several thousand sockpuppets have declared their intentions to leave the Ship.
This separatist movement, under the leadership of the ridiculous (BANNED), has made it difficult for the limited number of Hosts and Admins to maintain peace and order in the galley.
Rev. Gerald, the former Smiter of the Universe, is returning to the Zone to vote on the critical issue of creating an Navy of the Public Scrutiny to assist the overwhelmed H&A’s...

I hope that's not groaning I'm hearing. [Two face]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
chicklegirl
Shipmate
# 11741

[Overused] The Force is strong with this one! [Overused]

--------------------
~ Henry David Thoreau

Birdseye

I can see my house from here!
# 5280

- Posted      Profile for Birdseye   Author's homepage   Email Birdseye   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In packs, the fiercest wolf is king,
The loudest singer leads the choir,
In government the party nods
Behind the fiercest, loudest liar.

The longest mackerel leads the school,
The chief’s head-wife is She most large;
And on this ship, the biggest fool
Must surely be the fool-in-charge.

Don’t make me Captain of the ship,
My compass sticks, my stars are crossed;
I’d lead us on a fearful trip,
What’s more, I’d shoot the albatross!

In desert parts, you’ll find, the fleet
March through the sands on cloven feet;
And steering them to the Bazaar,
A silk-swathed trader, not a Tar.

Our craft’s no stately galleon,
Nor quinqireme from Ophir come,
Our battered tub is virtual:
An ether-cruising asylum.

Our crew: ungovernable and wild
Of wandering souls ten thou’ and more,
A scurvier bunch you ne’er did see,
Since Blackbeard’s crew in 'days of yore'.

Don’t give me epaulettes or pips,
I’d make a lousy admiral.
I’d crash us into other ships,
And drown us, Circus, Styx and all!

Our company is not a crew;
The ‘Ship’ is more a raft,
With each paddling his own canoe:
A driftwood knot of craft.

Who will lead our mad armada
As the rocks and fireships near us?
This flotilla needs no 'Captain',
But a guiding light to steer us!

Sharks to port, and pirates starboard,
Blue beneath and clouds above,
All that keeps our hearts from sinking
Is the hope that God is Love.

So lend me oars, I’ll pull my weight,
And gladly join you on the trip.
I’ll brave the howling tempest, BUT…
Don’t make me captain of the Ship.

--------------------
Life is what happens whilst you're busy making other plans.
a birdseye view

Posts: 1615 | From: West Yorkshire | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And lo, Autenrieth Road was struck with a spirit of uncreativity, on a day when she had vowed to do some work and the Manifesto deadline loomed at 5 p.m. local Maine time. And the hearts of the also-rans rose, as they anticipated passing her in the POSH points. And the hearts of the contenders for Gold Prize Knockout Quiz winner rose, as they were thankful for one less entry to distract from their scintillating efforts. And the heart of Quizmaster fluttered, as he anticipated handing out negative points to hapless Autenrieth Road.

And lo, in those hours Autenrieth Road thought maybe the spirit of creativity would return to her, but in the meantime she needed to get to work and beat on some databases.

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Erin wept.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The policies of the Quizmaster Party:

1. There shall be a regular quiz with a prize for the winner.
a) The prize could take the form of a personal avatar.
b) The prize could be a name change if needed

2. There shall be a place for photographs of shipmeets.
a) This shall take the form that it used to.
b) The photos shall be in date order starting with the latest.

3. There shall be open discussion of topics found in Dead Horses.
a) This is because some people are new here.
b) All children should learn how to win tic-tac-toe.

4. There shall be links to all the temporary boards.
a) These shall be contained on a 'Ship History' page.

5. There shall be a list of future shipmeets.
a) This shall be in date order.
b) This shall take the form it used to.

6. There shall be more permanent rooms in the cafe.
a) The gangplank is a stupid place for so many to stand.
b) The poop deck is a much more appropriate place.

7. There shall be a board to start foreign language threads.
a) This will allow shipmate to practice their language skills.
b) This will encourage non-English viewpoints.

8. There shall be love for all shipmates.
a) Even those who wind us right up.
b) Sometimes a hard slap is the most loving move.

9. There shall be reward for innovation.
a) This will take the form of 'thread of the week'.
b) A prize shall be awarded for such a thread.

10. There shall be safety for all shipmates.
a) A reporting system shall exist to mark those who make life unpleasant.
b) Anyone marked shall be investigated by the hosts and admins.

These are the policies of the party according to Quizmaster.

We also have a serious side:

Our Real Manifesto

--------------------
The more questions I ask the more I ask fewer questions.
OR=========================================
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Posts: 3326 | From: Exeter, Devon | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And lo, Autenrieth Road went to work. And she did not beat on databases (except the database of Ship postings).

But first she went by the copy shop to make copies of EFM materials for all her classmates. Except, yea, when she got to work, she read an email saying that she should just send them as attachments instead of as paper mail. And lo, she was very wroth at the unnecessary expense to which she had gone.

And then she went to a Client Service training session, and lo, it was interesting at least in as much as vast baskets of chocolates were served.

And then she met with the Help Desk Manager to talk about options for her new palm device.

And then she thought about modelling her manifesto on the 95 Theses, and had a clever intro all planned involving Martinrieth Road and the door of the Wittenberg Quiz, but, alas, the 95 theses were most incomprehensible and not at all susceptible of pastiche in aid of improving the Ship.

So at last, yea, she settled on the interesting proprosition of simple truths, simply stated and proclaimed:

Nobody acts like a Jerk.

and

Everybody gives to the Organ Fund.

And then she pressed "Add reply" and hoped that her laptop clock, if it be slow, were not more than 3 minutes slow.

[And yea, verily verily she Edited her post To Add: the official Ship Clock indicates that if anything, her laptop clock is 1 minute fast. And she breathed a sigh of relief, and settled down to vote on the other manifestos. And Quizmaster better not ding me for editing my post, because it had to be an edit to make the point effectively. [Razz] .]

[ 05. December 2006, 20:58: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

--------------------
Truth

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So now we need the votes:

Please place all the manifestos in order from your favourite at No.1 to your least favourite at number seven.

Please PM me with your votes and I will publish them on the Knockout Quiz site when the voting is over.

Votes should be in by Friday 8th December 22:00.

--------------------
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

{Via phonograph record and wind-up Victrola from the site of the IgNobel prizes , Also Ran table}

Welcome! Welcome! (1)

(Twenty-four second version.)

We will work together to make everyone welcome; keep the ship reasonably clean and tidy (so we don't trip over anything); give everyone luxurious, quilt-covered bunks with built-in TVs and radios, fully-stocked mini fridges, and bins of toys; create a library that can hold an infinite collection of books and other media; expand the spa suites; and play bingo three times a week to benefit the Organ Fund.

Plus daily bri--offerings to the hosts, admins, tech folks, and the hardware and software.

(Seven word version.)

Kindness, fun, and comfort food for all!

Goodbye! Goodbye! (2)

1. Traditional opening speech of the IgNobel ceremony.

2. Traditional closing speech of the IgNobel ceremony.

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Overused] Bravo! Wonderful manifestos! This is where all the creative people show up.

:clapping smilie: Thank you QM for another wonderful...and unique...quiz!

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

I have found 7 errors in my code. Like this: [Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal] . I've put a corrected version on the other site, where I've also said
quote:
I withdraw this from any consideration for awards in the "code-breaking" part of the quiz, although it is still in the running for any code-breaking demerits deserved.
I am dreadfully sorry for the exasperation my carelessness in originally coding it has given any code-breakers, most especially Quizmaster who has been working on it a lot.

--------------------
Truth

Rugmaker
Shipmate
# 10728

- Posted      Profile for Rugmaker   Email Rugmaker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think we need a special award for the code with the most mistakes in it. It promises to be a close run thing between AR and me!

--------------------
Waiting to think of something witty to put here.

Posts: 1319 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Quizmaster has mastered my code. I could ding him for less than anal-retentive attention to nnoopp, qquurr, and mmeemm, but since I was apparently in a coma, if not a comma, when I encoded the thing, I shan't. Well-done, Master Quizmaster.

As it says here,
quote:
However, if you are signalling to someone during an emergency, a comma is not the most vital morse code character to know is it?

--------------------
Truth

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

And with the fall of the AR code that leaves only Golden Key who admitted that there are several levels to the code so it will not be an easy one to crack.

10 Smart Points for the first one to crack that code.

--------------------

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

P O S H

31 0 0 1 Hart :- Complimenting a girl on a new look
31 1 0 0 Chorister :- Nice picture of Raoul
31 0 0 1 Quizmaster :- Complementing Hart's Complimenting
31 1 0 0 Icklejen :- You support Chelsea? You should have said!
31 0 3 0 Quizmaster :- You finally decided to publish the tables then.
31 0 0 1 Hart :- The truth will out so let it be a good truth
31 0 1 0 Yellow Snow :- Only the first twenty places?
31 2 2 0 Chicklegirl :- Brilliant Chickle
31 0 0 1 Yellow Snow :- Praise where it is due, and encouragement.
31 0 1 0 Chicklegirl :- Nice comeback
31 0 2 0 Chicklegirl :- I do like a Guinness
31 1 1 1 Chicklegirl :- Points awarded by Yellow Snow
31 -1 0 0 Chicklegirl :- Stretching the point there, but I know it had to be done
31 0 1 1 Chicklegirl :- Points awarded in mime by Birdseye
31 1 1 1 Chicklegirl :- Points awarded in mime by Icklejen
31 1 1 0 Autenrieth Road :- For the Corporate Logo
31 0 2 0 Jedijudy :- Because she does not realise how smart she can be
31 1 1 1 Ickeljen :- Pertinent point and I did need telling, I like winning too much.
31 0 0 -1 Yellow Snow :- Trying to spark off a cat war
31 0 1 1 Jedijudy :- Smoothing things nicely
31 0 -1 0 Quizmaster :- Magnanimity does not become you
31 1 1 1 Yellow Snow :- I would just like to say at this point, Contrary, nice post!
31 0 1 0 Icklejen :- I love conspiracy theories, do you have any more?
31 1 1 1 Chicklegirl :- I never knew that you looked like that. Nice time lapse photo.
31 0 0 1 Davelarge :- I honestly believe you meant that as it came out.
31 2 0 0 Birdseye :- Nice photos of the leading lights in the quiz
31 1 1 1 Autenrieth Road :- For giving Yellow Snow the signature that has made me laugh
31 1 0 0 Chicklegirl :- I am sorry, but I cannot take all of that in.
31 0 0 1 Hart :- For turning into the Quiz Commentator
31 0 0 1 Jedijudy :- Organising the food for the Also Rans
31 1 0 0 Yellow Snow :- Do you read Pratchett as well?
31 0 1 0 Rugasaw :- Ah, the sweet pleasures of being an Also Ran
31 1 0 1 Chicklegirl :- For being first with the questions
31 0 0 -1 Comet :- For trying to start a food war
31 1 0 1 Birdseye :- For exhibiting the feminine need to think out loud
31 0 0 1 Jedijudy :- Continuing to organise the food table
31 0 1 0 Ickeljen :- Your husband is a very wise person. Listen up!
31 0 1 0 Chicklegirl :- Sensible question duly answered
31 0 -1 -1 Quizmaster :- Dummy! You should have thought of that!
31 1 1 -1 Wet Kipper :- Spuddling, but clever spuddling
31 0 1 1 Davelarge :- Good response
31 1 0 0 Wet Kipper :- Whatever happened to Smart Alex?
31 1 0 0 Icklejen :- You wouldn't? You didn't? You? Subterfuge!
31 0 5 0 Birdseye :- For cleverly deducing Dave Large's question 10
31 1 1 0 Birdseye :- You had every right to crow

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

{Via owl rented in DiagonAlley, from the Also Ran luxury booth.}

I've posted more hints to my code over on the other board.

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

Could I have a hint in Large, Friendly Letters? Like everything but the answer? [Hot and Hormonal]

I throw away the pieces of paper with decoding tries which lie all over the place. Then I fetch them again and smooth them out and try again. Then I crumple them up and toss them in the circular file...again and again.

--------------------

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

P O S H

32 -1 -1 -1 Icklejen :- You SHOULD know it
32 1 -1 0 Davelarge :- For dressing up in his wife's clothes
32 0 1 1 Davelarge :- For owning up to a genuine mistake
32 0 0 1 Davelarge :- For entertaining Judy
32 0 -1 0 Yellow Snow :- That link has never worked for me
32 0 1 0 Quizmaster :- Smart move offering points for cracks
32 1 -1 0 Quizmaster :- I knew they would not understand you
32 0 5 0 Jedijudy :- Judy was the one to crack my code
32 0 1 1 Quizmaster :- For keeping your promise to Judy
32 1 -1 0 Davelarge :- For being ahead of the game
32 1 -1 -1 Chicklegirl :- Now you know that drugs are bad for you
32 1 0 0 Autenrieth Road :- You were right, it was a morse not a vigenere
32 0 -1 1 Quizmaster :- You spend far too much time on this quiz
32 0 1 0 Autenrieth Road :- I agree with that statement, one brinkmanship point awarded
32 2 0 2 Yellow Snow :- For the edible cowpat
32 1 0 0 Chicklegirl :- Showing true Knockout Quiz mentality.
32 1 -1 0 Yellow Snow :- The drumroll was in fact just as good where it came
32 1 0 0 Chicklegirl :- Did you?
32 1 0 2 Yellow Snow :- Leading the cheers
32 1 0 0 Yellow Snow :- For the signature
32 0 -1 0 Autenrieth Road :- Failing to use exam technique - read the question
32 2 2 2 Davelarge :- An excellent departing speech
32 0 -1 0 Birdseye :- Admitting to failure in public
32 1 0 1 Jedijudy :- My bottom is not THAT big. Get me another cushion!
32 0 5 0 Hazey Jane :- For managing to avoid the quiz
32 1 1 1 Birdseye :- O.K. Shall we decide the whole outcome on Scissors, Paper, Stone?
32 0 2 0 Yellow Snow :- A wise old cookie
32 1 1 1 Yellow Snow :- Leading the way with the manifestos
32 0 1 2 Lady A :- Good input, helping Chickle to the solution
32 0 0 1 Golden Key :- We may have to call this one "The unbreakable Code"
32 1 1 1 Chicklegirl :- Playing to the gallery
32 1 1 1 Golden Key :- Treating the competitors like the inferiors that they are
32 0 0 1 Lady A :- I have a lot of C. S. Lewis on my bookshelf
32 -2 -2 -2 Icklejen :- For not mentioning Chelsea
32 0 1 0 Chicklegirl :- You also noticed the force that is driving Judy
32 1 -2 0 Autenrieth Road :- Do I? Don't I? You expect it? O.K. Negative Points
32 1 0 0 Chorister :- Now I know that you don't always tell the truth
32 -1 -1 -1 Golden Key :- I like it, I like it a lot, but it was late

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Manifestos
(for those late voters desiring a guide,
and those early voters desiring a review)

Pure as the Driven Yellow Snow has a dream.

Chicklegirl delivers a sermon on a mount.

comet delivers an up-to-date sermon.

jedijudy stars in a a forceful prologue.

Birdseye waxes poetic.

Quizmaster proposes keeping the Ship from listing.

Autenrieth Road slithers in with a manifesto which is in truth 12 words long. One for each apostle, perhaps.

The also-ran of also-ran manifestos
Golden Key shows up late to the party, but, oh, what a party she promises.

--------------------
Truth

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

The manifesto votes are now in and counted, so welcome to the awards ceremony.

With a few remaining POSH points to tally there is a small delay but we will be with you shortly.

[Smile]

--------------------

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

P O S H

33 0 0 2 Jedijudy :- Leading the cheers for the organisers
33 0 -1 0 Autenrieth Road :- Throwing away any chance of the Smart Alec prize
33 1 1 1 Rugmaker :- Showing good empathy with AR
33 0 1 1 Autenrieth Road :- For not dinging Quizmaster
33 0 -10 0 Golden Key :- For being uncracked at the end of the contest
33 0 -1 0 Golden Key :- But sadly too late
33 1 2 1 Jedijudy :- Good plea for help there Judy
33 1 1 1 Autenrieth Road :- Excellent summarisation. Thanks AR

THAT IS IT - NO MORE POINTS

--------------------

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

THE LIBRARIAN AWARD FOR HELPFULNESS

36 : Chicklegirl
27 : Autenrieth Road
22 : Hart
20 : Comet
19 : Yellow Snow
19 : Jedijudy
18 : Gwai
16 : Wet Kipper
16 : The Rogue
15 : Golden Key
12 : Davelarge
10 : Lady A

The Prize goes to Chicklegirl.

--------------------

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

The Originality Award for Weird Thought Processes

52 : Autenrieth Road
45 : Yellow Snow
44 : Chicklegirl
34 : Comet
30 : Jedijudy
29 : Davelarge
28 : The Rogue
27 : Gwai
22 : Sharkshooter
21 : Golden Key
20 : Quizmaster
20 : Birdseye

The Prize goes to Autenrieth Road.

--------------------

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

AND NOW .....

ON TO THE MAJOR PRIZES:

The First Award of SMART ALEC goes to .....

Let us first check the table:

36 : Chicklegirl
33 : Autenrieth Road
26 : The Rogue
25 : Yellow Snow
24 : Jedijudy
20 : Sinisterial
18 : Rugasaw
15 : Birdseye
13 : Rugmaker
11 : Comet

SMART ALEC 2006 is CHICKLEGIRL

--------------------

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

KNOCKOUT QUIZ ITSELF:

Please step forward for the BRONZE

Davelarge [Yipee]

Please step forward for the SILVER

Birdseye [Overused]

AND

Please step forward WINNER 2006

CHICKLEGIRL [Big Grin]

Thanks to everyone who participated.

It has been hard work but enjoyable.

Would a kind host or hostess please close the thread after the closing speeches.

--------------------

chicklegirl
Shipmate
# 11741

I'll try to avoid any belabored bombast in the grand tradition of acceptance speeches. Suffice it to say that I'd have been overjoyed with just the smart-@$$ librarian award, so this is really something. Well-played, everyone--and Birdseye and Davelarge, you are both brilliant; it has been a challenge to try and keep up.

[Overused] [Overused] [Overused] to Quizmaster, of the kind heart, quick mind, twisted sense of humor, and transcendent patience.

Merry Christmas to you all and God bless!

--------------------
~ Henry David Thoreau

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Congratulations Bronze Davelarge [Overused] and Silver Birdseye [Overused] [Overused] and Golden Smart Alec Librarian Chicklegirl [Overused] [Overused] [Overused] . Chicklegirl, you need to work on your wierd thought processes, hmmmm [Biased] ?

Many thanks esteemed Quizmaster [Axe murder] for running this extraordinary opportunity to prove to the whole world, that much as I strive to claim that I'm completely normal, that actually I'm really wierd.

--------------------
Truth

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

[double post because I exceeded the smilie limit [Eek!] ]

Thanks to everybody for all the silliness [Killing me] , cleverness [Cool] , wittiness [Two face] , helpfulness [Help] and all around fun [Yipee] over the last two months.

--------------------
Truth

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a smilie limit? I find that embarrassingly exciting...

Congratulations and thanks where congratulations and thanks are due. It was great fun and I'll take pride in being the number 3 librarian (everyone has to start somewhere!).

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yay Chickle!

What fun!

comet - 2007 Knockout Quiz Champion [Biased]

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
Could I have a hint in Large, Friendly Letters? Like everything but the answer? [Hot and Hormonal]

I throw away the pieces of paper with decoding tries which lie all over the place. Then I fetch them again and smooth them out and try again. Then I crumple them up and toss them in the circular file...again and again.

I'll post more hints on the other board over the weekend, then will post the entire step-by-step procedure with answer on Monday or Tuesday, if that's ok with Quizmaster?

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Thanks to Quizmaster and all for a great contest, and congrats to the winners!
[Overused]

Everyone is invited up to the Also Ran Luxury Suite for a party of gourmet foods, parlor games, assorted live music, and therapeutic massages!

BTW, re my lateness on a couple of items [Hot and Hormonal] : Was partly due to time difference--I keep the ship set to my local time and estimated the proper end time, but was off due to winter time changes. Also fighting bad cold. Ah, well. Perhaps next year I should keep a clock set to UK time next to my computer! [Smile]

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

You may have to wait for the therapeutic massages. Raoul is (mmmmmph) somewhat (ooooooooh, aaaaaah) preoccupied (mmmmmmmmm, mmmmmmmmm, yes, yes, yes) at the moment.

(* says a somewhat preoccupied voice from beneath a strangely undulant heap of Turkish towels *)

--------------------
Truth

rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chicklegirl:
I may need to take out a second mortgage (and review the Kama Sutra) to ensure success.

Hmmmm Helpful award, Smart Alec award, and KOQ Grand Champion. I need to start a quiz [Biased]

Seriously, congrats hope to beat you next year.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
chicklegirl
Shipmate
# 11741

Shhh, Rugasaw--no one was supposed to have remembered that! [Biased]

--------------------
~ Henry David Thoreau

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

Thankyou fellow quizzipants.
Thankyou QM.
Congratulations to the illustrious winners.

What a wonderful way to spend three months (to the day). See you next year.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chicklegirl - very, very many congratulations [Big Grin]

Quizzy - thanks again for your hard work for the last umpteen weeks. I appreciate it very much. You're a star [Overused]

To all the other participants and also-rans: Thanks for having me along. It's been a blast. [Smile]

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lady A

Narnian Lady
# 3126

Congratulations everyone!

Though I am wondering if Chicklegirl and Quizmaster are twins of different mothers [Big Grin]

Shall we start the list for next years quiz? I'm in!

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

AR, dear, there ARE adjoining rooms available, you know!

FYI, there's a team of massage therapists and other bodyworkers, so no one has to wait.

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another excellent quiz, thanks QM for all your hard work. And congratulations to Chicklegirl! [Overused]

THE END

Chorister, Host.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  31  32  33 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016