homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Watch your language? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Watch your language?
Saul the Apostle
Shipmate
# 13808

- Posted      Profile for Saul the Apostle   Email Saul the Apostle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it possible to call different races by terms acceptable say 70 or 80 years ago?

I am thinking of the term 'Jap' for Japanese person? I assume this is unacceptable?

I guess 'Yid' is definitely not acceptable for a Jewish person? Jew boy also seems to be unacceptable too?

I won't even ask about the term 'nigger' as that seems wholly unacceptable today.

But, can I call an American a ''Yank''?

Am I OK to be called a ''Brit'' am I ever called a ''Limey''?

''Kraut'' seems somehow odd to refer to a German in 2013?

How does language evolve in this way and why does it do so?

Saul

[ 10. April 2013, 05:49: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
"I cannot forecast to you the action of Russia. It is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma; but perhaps there is a key. That key is Russian national interest."

Posts: 1772 | From: unsure | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, it's odd this, isn't it?

I think it's got something to do with whether both sides think of themselves as equals. So Frog, Kraut and Strine seem to be OK. But as soon as either party thinks the other one might regard themselves as superior or inferior - even if they don't - the nickname starts to feel a bit edgy. Thus Wop, Dago, Paddy and Taff hover on the brink and Wog, Nigger and Kaffir are definitely utterly beyond the pale. You can tell if a word is beyond the pale if you feel you shouldn't even be writing it down, as I felt when writing the last three, but not the others.

Also, you can jocularly refer to a well known former Conservative politician and presenter of television programmes about trains as a Dago, because everyone knows he's an important person who can stick up for himself. But it would be offensive to refer to Manuel as one.

Yank is a slightly odd one, since it's OK to use it in Britain, but Americans will assiduously point out to you that it strictly should only be used of people from the top right hand corner of the USA.

I've a vague feeling that Jap is worse than Nip, but am not sure why. I think it's got something to do with 2nd World War usage.

Hun and Limey are both dated now.

Another curious thing, is that if one watches US television programmes, it seems the Canadians and ourselves are fair game to be insulted, but if you insult anyone else, that's racist etc. Everyone else is entitled to be touchy, but the Canadians and us aren't.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think there are contradictory currents at work when it comes to naming groups.

Current 1: language is a kind of majoritarian social contract. Whatever a large linguistic group deems acceptable is acceptable.

Current 2: Whatever a (usually and by definition a minority) subgroup of a linguistic deems an acceptable term for itself is acceptable.

So the majority ends up defining and using as acceptable something like "pwned" (or using "contact" as a verb), but the minority ends up defining for the majority and using as acceptable a term like "black" or "African-American" or "Negro."

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
The Rhythm Methodist
Shipmate
# 17064

- Posted      Profile for The Rhythm Methodist   Email The Rhythm Methodist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think we Brits are allowed to use the term "Paki" these days, although it was in common parlance until fairly recently. Likewise, the word "Pickaninny" (to describe a black child) now falls into the derogatory category. I last heard that used by an elderly female missionary, who was actually saying what a beautiful kid the mother had - but it didn't go down too well.

Perhaps who is saying it, also makes a difference. A friend of mine habitually refers to the Scottish people as "The Porridge Wogs". Nobody minds - he's a Scot himself - but I don't think any of us English people would want to repeat it. I think it's always been OK to be rude about your own "tribe".

Posts: 202 | From: Wales | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lawrence
Ship's Grill Master
# 4913

- Posted      Profile for Lawrence   Email Lawrence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The usage of the "n" word, as we refer to it in the US, is hotly debated today. Not among whites, it is off limits for a white to use it (unless you are a certifiable racist), but among the black community. It is used often there and the debate is within that community. The recent death of Senator Inouye reminded me of an incident in the Watergate hearing. Senator Inouye had been grilling a member of the Nixon Administration. The Nixon man, thinking he was off mike, referred to Inouye as a Jap and a brouhaha ensued. So many slurs are imbedded in our slang we don't always realize they are slurs, like to gyp someone or referring to a police vehicle for hauling arrested people away in as a paddy wagon. Intent is everything. I remember years ago my loving Irish grandmother (born in the 1890s) holding, quite proudly, a great grandchild of a mixed raced marriage. With a huge smile of love on her face she said: "Isn't this the cutest little(n-word) you have ever seen!" Yes, grandma. Only time will spell the end to some words.
Posts: 199 | From: Where once you could get a decent Brain Sandwich | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is one area where we cannot, must not emulate Jesus: He used racist language. And yes of course I can do the culturally based theodicy. And that won't work for many here.

[ 31. December 2012, 14:10: Message edited by: Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard ]

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
Yank is a slightly odd one, since it's OK to use it in Britain, but Americans will assiduously point out to you that it strictly should only be used of people from the top right hand corner of the USA.

It turns out the term "yankee" actually has four levels of semi-recursion:
quote:
For foreigners, a "yankee" is an American. For American southerners, a "yankee" is a northerner. For northerners, a "yankee" is somebody from New England. For New Englanders, a "yankee" is somebody from Vermont. For Vermonters, a "yankee" is somebody who eats apple pie for breakfast.

Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If a specific group says that a term is offensive to them don't use it.

One exception - with friends in jest I might use a term that i would not with others.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Saul the Apostle
Shipmate
# 13808

- Posted      Profile for Saul the Apostle   Email Saul the Apostle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I did hear the term ''bog - wog'' for an Irish person a fair bit, but this was in the UK in the 1980s.

I tend to be called a ''scouser'' as I was a native of the city for 28 years then became a ''southern softie'' living on the South coast of England. For a Liverpudlian the term ''southerner'' is quite pejorative and they say the word often with a certain disdain.

The word ''nigger'' was perfectly acceptable to say in Britain up until the 1950s and was common parlance for a black person, it wasn't always said with disdain but is now very unacceptable. In strictly descriptive terms it does just mean black (niger apparently means black?).

Saul

--------------------
"I cannot forecast to you the action of Russia. It is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma; but perhaps there is a key. That key is Russian national interest."

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Saul the Apostle:
The word ''nigger'' was perfectly acceptable to say in Britain up until the 1950s and was common parlance for a black person, it wasn't always said with disdain but is now very unacceptable. In strictly descriptive terms it does just mean black (niger apparently means black?).

Saul

Niger (officially the Republic of Niger) is a landlocked republic in western Africa.

In etymological terms, nigger is a corruption of the Spanish/Portuguese word negro which is simply the word for the colour black.

In descriptive terms, referring to a nigger can safely be assumed to be a perjorative implying that a person's Sub-Saharan African descent means they are simple or barbaric.

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The word ''nigger'' was perfectly acceptable to say in Britain up until the 1950s ...

No it wasn't. A BBC announcer was suspended from their job in the 1940s for using it on air.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:
The word ''nigger'' was perfectly acceptable to say in Britain up until the 1950s ...

No it wasn't. A BBC announcer was suspended from their job in the 1940s for using it on air.
The rules for what is acceptable on air at a Government-controlled media organisation may not always line up exactly with what the rest of the country sees as acceptable.

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Saul the Apostle
Shipmate
# 13808

quote:
Originally posted by the giant cheeseburger:
quote:
quote:

The rules for what is acceptable on air at a Government-controlled media organisation may not always line up exactly with what the rest of the country sees as acceptable.
Interesting, the acceptability by the ruling elite and the ''great unwashed''. There is a disconnect today as there was 60 years ago IMHO.

Language of course evolves and develops. I remember challenging a cockney in a doctor's waiting room on the repeated use of the word ''jew boy''. I found his coninual use of the term unacceptable - he replied that it was common parlance in London, I reminded him we were in Sussex. He backed down.

I also recall in the film 'Crocodile Dundee', Dundee asking the New York burly black doorman of the posh hotel he was staying at ''what tribe you from, mate? ''. Said in another context and with malice, that would earn a verbal reprimand at the very least, but Dundee is naive and the doorman understands, he replies with a world weary grin: ''I'm from the Harlem tribe.'' No offence meant and none given.

Saul

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

SOMEbody must have thought it was bad enough to take action. Are you saying only people inside the government thought it was bad, but everybody on the street wondered why they did that?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Jack de Manio in 1956?

[ 31. December 2012, 16:58: Message edited by: Chapelhead ]

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

I don't see the BBC as government controlled - that has connotations that I don't think apply to the beeb.

The one that annoys me as a Scot living down south is not Jock - that's fine but 'sweaty'. For some reason that really pisses me off.

(Sweaty sock = Jock)

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

My mother knitted me a nigger brown jumper. It was a common colour for clothes in the 1970s.

Nowadays you'd probably call it 'dark' brown or 'chocolate' brown.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone still get Chinese food from the Chinky's on the corner?

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Drewthealexander
Shipmate
# 16660

- Posted      Profile for Drewthealexander     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it comes down to whether a term is used affectionately or pejoratively. Yid (specifically Yid-oh) s fine when chanted by Tottenham Hotspur supporters (Spurs is an English soccer team with strong Jewish roots.)

It's OK to call Scots "Jock" and Yorkshiremen "Tykes". People from Tyneside self-identify as "Geordie". I would be interested in how Irish friends feel about beng called "Mick."

Is there a difference between epithets applied on the basis of race, to those based on geography?

[ 31. December 2012, 17:22: Message edited by: Drewthealexander ]

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'Coloured' these days seems like a slightly less offensive alternative to the N-word. I read only yesterday on a display about a church's former clergy, a priest from Africa was described as 'coloured'. Clearly it was intended politely, but now comes across as patronising. (He would probably have been so described at the time - 1960s - but I think the info was written much more recently)

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Drewthealexander:
It's OK to call Scots "Jock" ...

Not really, no.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps it would be equally useful to ask why you would need to call a Scotsman "Jock", or refer to the Chinese restaurant as "Chinky's". I can't imagine it's meant as a term of affection. If you don't know an individual well enough to use their name, you don't know them well enough to refer to them by a term they would not find complimentary.

I've always found it a bit hard to fathom why anyone would want to "rescue" these words and make them more generally acceptable. You can accuse me of being "politically correct" if you wish, but there really isn't anything political about it--it's simple good manners. "Politically incorrect" is usually just a term to justify rudeness.

However, if I can have apple pie for breakfast every morning you are more than welcome to call me a Yankee.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Organ Builder:
"Politically incorrect" is usually just a term to justify rudeness.

Game, set, and match.

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rudeness or just thoughtlessness?
We bought our fruit and veg from a chinaman seventy years ago. We didn't know him except as a tradesman with whom we exchanged polite pleasanteries. Now that we have schoolmates, friends and neighbours who are Chinese, we'd say 'Sue is Chinese' but not 'Sue is a Chinese'.

(Teachers half a century ago could confidently say that you never encountered a badly behaved Chinese pupil. Not so now, alas.)

Another development is the demise of the -ess suffix. Women can now be poets, authors and actors, and a Jewish woman is not a Jewess – right?

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Another curious thing, is that if one watches US television programmes, it seems the Canadians and ourselves are fair game to be insulted, but if you insult anyone else, that's racist etc. Everyone else is entitled to be touchy, but the Canadians and us aren't.

Canadian insults on American TV are an interesting case. Half the joke (usually) is that the American delivering the insult is reveling in his own boorishness in the face of Canadian politeness and modesty. We do like to think of ourselves as being cooler than our neighbors to the North, but we are aware of the irony behind making fun of someone for being too polite and modest.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
quote:

Canadian insults on American TV are an interesting case. Half the joke (usually) is that the American delivering the insult is reveling in his own boorishness in the face of Canadian politeness and modesty. We do like to think of ourselves as being cooler than our neighbors to the North, but we are aware of the irony behind making fun of someone for being too polite and modest.
One undercurrent to this is that a number of TV shows portraying American cities are shot in Canada for tax reasons, and a number of comic screenwriters come from Canada. It's often not clear where the inside joke is aimed.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Bostonman
Shipmate
# 17108

- Posted      Profile for Bostonman   Email Bostonman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Yankee" and "Yank" are definitely not offensive, independent pf context. "You stupid Yank" is no worse than "You stupid American." And anyone from the South(ern US) calling me a Yankee would sound like a Civil War re-enactor. The big irony of course is that most New Englanders, while allegedly the paradigmatic Yankees, viciously hate the New York baseball team of that name and have ever heard the word in any other context.
Posts: 424 | From: USA | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Can't speak for cross-pond usage, but in the US, it was
common usage up until the 1960s, but always offensive to those it was directed at. The fact that something is "acceptable" is not quite the same as saying it was not offensive.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
'Coloured' these days seems like a slightly less offensive alternative to the N-word. I read only yesterday on a display about a church's former clergy, a priest from Africa was described as 'coloured'. Clearly it was intended politely, but now comes across as patronising. (He would probably have been so described at the time - 1960s - but I think the info was written much more recently)

In the US "colored" is probably heard as old-fashioned more than offensive. Up until the civil rights movement it was the preferred term-- hence one of the oldest and most prestigious civil rights organizations here is the NAACP-- Nat'l Assoc. for the Advancement of Colored People. At one point in the 80s or 90s I can remember discussion about changing the name, but one of the older leaders of the civil rights movement (I think it was Benjamin Hooks?) argued vs. the move because the name honored the fight they'd undertaken simply to be called "colored".

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lawrence:
Intent is everything.

No, it is not everything. It can be used to mitigate the error to a point. However, ignorance of word usage is not an excuse if it is your native tongue.

quote:
I also recall in the film 'Crocodile Dundee', Dundee asking the New York burly black doorman of the posh hotel he was staying at ''what tribe you from, mate? ''. Said in another context and with malice, that would earn a verbal reprimand at the very least, but Dundee is naive and the doorman understands, he replies with a world weary grin: ''I'm from the Harlem tribe.'' No offence meant and none given.

Saul

You do realize this was fiction?

quote:

None of those; British/English, Canadian or American can be considered races. The jibes back and forth from these sources are amongst equals, with no major animosity. Not so most of the other words used on this thread.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bostonman:
"Yankee" and "Yank" are definitely not offensive, independent pf context.

That says more about your context than about all usages I think. When my parents moved to Texas, I was asked: "Are you a Yankee or a damned Yankee? Damned Yankees stay." I do not think I was wrong in taking the comment as a purely unfriendly comment.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let us put nigger in context no matter the era and it was always racist.
In the supposed, "it was only a description" days, white person was simply a person. A black person was a nigger. A term was employed which often had no bearing on the information conveyed. Or, if it did, the colour was the important consideration in the event. Racist no matter how one looks at it.
But then, I have heard the word black uttered with dripping vitriol, so...

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is this a tangent? If so, please forgive. I'm often struck when watching Question Time (current affairs programme on UK TV, involving local audience and panel of politicians etc) how David Dimbleby struggles to describe those members of the public who want to contribute. He'll say things like 'the man in the blue shirt', or 'the woman with the large earrings' , but never, 'the black man on the back row' or 'the Asian lady'. It's obvious why, but it sometimes seems as if he's floundering to identify the person when the most obvious thing about them might be their skin colour.

That might say more about me, though, and my generation: schoolchildren (especially very young ones) tend not to notice the skin colour of their classmates. I find that on meeting someone with different racial characteristics to my own, for the first time, I am very conscious of them. Afterwards I don't notice. Hopefully as we become more and more a multi-ethnic society such differences will be as unimportant as hair colour, dress style or accent (though that's another one).

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Children notice. It is simply not the defining characteristic unless they are taught that it should be. I have mentioned elsewhere here that my early environment was such that things like race were non-issues. I can still remember, however, the skin colours of my favourite playmates. Just as I can remember their hair, size, personalities, etc.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
In the supposed, "it was only a description" days...

You're right, of course. So many of these words are by their nature derogatory; it's just that those to whom they have been applied have had varying degrees of power to reject the terminology.

While the Crocodile Dundee incident is fiction, it's a reasonable depiction of cross-cultural misunderstanding. For Dundee, a black person would have been an indigenous Australian, and it wouldn't be unreasonable to ask about their cultural origins. "Tribes" wouldn't be a preferred term, with clan, language group, people and nation being suitable terms, but the depiction of Dundee's usage would be accurate.

The doorman's unoffended response is rather far-fetched, unless the film's aim was to show him as having a good understanding of indigenous Australian issues. If that had been the case, I don't think he would have been opening doors for people.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In the supposed, "it was only a description" days, white person was simply a person. A black person was a nigger. A term was employed which often had no bearing on the information conveyed. Or, if it did, the colour was the important consideration in the event. Racist no matter how one looks at it.
But then, I have heard the word black uttered with dripping vitriol, so...

That last bit hits at the heart of the problem: we have different descriptors for the exact same thing, and some of these words are capable of being acceptable and some not, despite being synoyms.

Once upon a time, 'negro' was an acceptable term. It just means 'black' in a particular language. But in English, the meaning has somehow shifted so that calling someone black using the Spanish word or a derivation of that Spanish word is an awful thing.

I'm not saying the reaction is wrong, I'm just pointing out that the situation is actually very complicated and shifting, and there's no inherent reason why one synonym is okay and another isn't.

And cultural. For my part, I had absolutely no clue that 'nigger' was seen as such a dreadful word in some parts of the world (particularly USA) until the last few years thanks to interaction with people on the internet. I think it had some use in the past in relation to Aboriginals here, but we mostly found our own sloppy or derogatory words for them. So when I heard the word it was usually through some form of literature, TV or film without any American standing at my shoulder to provide the necessary gasps of shock.

It's unlikely I'm ever going to have the same kind of reaction to the word 'nigger' as someone who grew up in a culture where it's considered one of the most appalling words you can utter. I have the intellectual reaction now that it's considered an awful word, but there is no emotional reaction behind that knowledge.

[ 31. December 2012, 22:34: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vulpior:
So many of these words are by their nature derogatory;

No, not "by their nature". That's my point. A person coming from a different background cannot look at a particular combination of vowels and consonants and know the quality of the word.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:
So many of these words are by their nature derogatory;

No, not "by their nature". That's my point. A person coming from a different background cannot look at a particular combination of vowels and consonants and know the quality of the word.
Yes. Wrong term. Blame a light night and fuzzy head.

I'm not suggesting that a sequence of marks or sounds is inherently offensive out of cultural/linguistic context; just acknowledging that many terms have always been derogatory. "In common use" does not imply "acceptable".

It's not the case for all terms. Note the observations on "coloured"/"colored" above.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

ISTM, the term negro was often used in a racist fashion. An illustration circa 1650. Four men are disembarking a ship; an observer writes there were an Englishman, a Frenchman, a Spaniard and a negro. The very fact that colour was considered the defining feature is in itself racist.

/Tangent
quote:
The doorman's unoffended response is rather far-fetched, unless the film's aim was to show him as having a good understanding of indigenous Australian issues. If that had been the case, I don't think he would have been opening doors for people.

I am sorry, but I had to laugh whilst reading this, as it is a tad bit elitist. And, in my experience of the academic world, misplaced regardless. There are many fairly educated professional people who would have no clue as to the structures of aboriginal cultures. /tangent

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
ISTM, the term negro was often used in a racist fashion. An illustration circa 1650. Four men are disembarking a ship; an observer writes there were an Englishman, a Frenchman, a Spaniard and a negro. The very fact that colour was considered the defining feature is in itself racist.

Well, yes, in exactly the same way that white people who say someone is "African" with no attempt to recognise that Africa has over 50 countries in it are being racist. I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if some European circa 2013 talked about an Englishman, Frenchman, Spaniard and African on a boat.

It has virtually nothing to do with the word itself, and everything to do with the fact that people tend to use a much lower level of detail/distinction for people less like themselves.

The word is not the problem.

[ 31. December 2012, 23:48: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

Addendum: And I don't think that making the word the problem is very helpful. It strikes me as foolish to get up in arms about the word 'nigger' being uttered no matter WHAT the context, if people don't bat an eyelid when the word 'African' or 'Asian' is used in a racist fashion.

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's one of the things that strikes me about the way terminology has shifted over the last few decades. When I was a child in Texas and said the word "colored," my mother, raised in California, got a funny look on her face and quietly said, "We say 'negro.'" (Just as "colored" is still there in the NAACP, "Negro" is still there in the United Negro College Fund.) Then we moved back to California, where I quickly learned that I should say "black." (I guess Mom hadn't gotten that memo while we were in Texas.) A few years later, we got the term "Afro-American," then "African-American," and then the hyphen was dropped. Things have stabilized, and now we say "black" or "African American," depending upon utility, context and what we're trying to emphasize. I have often wondered if the changes in terminology mapped moves toward equality, with the stabilizing terminology reflecting that things aren't getting better for black people any more.

And then I think about the words we have used for the mentally handicapped. Has the euphemism treadmill had any positive benefit for them? "Idiot," "imbecile" and "moron" gave way to "retarded," but now that is a bad word. The kids who would have been called "retarded" when I was young now go to "special education," so now kids say "you're special" in a sarcastic way that indicates the short bus.

So I'm skeptical of campaigns to eliminate the word "retarded" from regular use -- when someone says it's hurtful, I believe them, and I stop using the word, but it's not the word that's the problem.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

quote:

/Tangent
quote:

I am sorry, but I had to laugh whilst reading this, as it is a tad bit elitist. And, in my experience of the academic world, misplaced regardless. There are many fairly educated professional people who would have no clue as to the structures of aboriginal cultures. /tangent
I'm glad you laughed, as that was my intention. I wasn't seriously suggesting such a conscious plan behind a minor character.

And your allegation of elitism is reading my logic the wrong way round. I suggested that an American with that level of specialist anthropological knowledge would probably have a career other than doorman*, not that all educated professionals would have such knowledge.

* But of course, not impossible. After all, we are talking about a film. I was agreeing with you that we have to take care in treating the behaviour of fictional characters as how real-life people would behave, while unpacking the scene a little more and drawing an extreme logical conclusion from the unrealistic reaction of the doorman.

But we're talking about language. I was thinking a bit more about changes in the way that language is used. In my own experience, "the handicapped" has given way to "disabled people" and then to "people with disabilities", as people have expressed a preference for how they are talked about. I'm aware that "handicapped" is still in use without apparent issue in some places; I've seen Americans use it in relation to designated parking spaces for example. I'm not intending to imply any cross-cultural judgement about use of the term. But in places where it has been generally displaced I don't think that it can ever rehabilitated as an acceptable term.

--------------------

RuthW

# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, "handicapped" is generally fine where I live -- you see the sign for a "handicapped parking space" everywhere. If you say "disabled people," sooner or later someone will object to identifying people entirely in terms of being disabled, saying they should literally be people first: "persons with disabilities."

I think the word "handicapped" became generally okay (though some do object to it as well) because of the signs, which have the effect of making it bland, of normalizing it. There are also the handicapped parking placards that entitle you to park in a handicapped space. If you don't have a placard and you park in a handicapped parking space, in my neighborhood someone is liable to comment that your only handicap is mental.

RuthW

# 13

Also -- and I really will quit for a while after this -- I once printed "African American" in a newsletter article about a church member's late husband, who had been a Tuskegee Airman, and she called me up and chewed me out because, as she told me, she is not from Africa. Which was a complaint I really didn't see coming! But I thought she had a point. Nobody calls me a European American.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

The Memphis Commercial Appeal (local daily) once called Pushkin an African American in a "by the way did you realize?" sort of way. Presumably because the journo or editor was told not to use "black."

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
None of those; British/English, Canadian or American can be considered races. The jibes back and forth from these sources are amongst equals, with no major animosity. Not so most of the other words used on this thread.

Nor are Wop, Dago, Paddy or Taff races.

On 'coloured', I get the impression it's more or died out here. This might be because it's an ambiguous term. In much of the world it means specifically a person of mixed descent.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Saul, Vulpior, people - what you've all apparently missed is the key point that Gus (the black character in question) is not a doorman, but a limo driver.

Why is that key, you ask? ... OK, I'm sure I heard someone ask! Because as a limo driver, he felt empowered to wrench the antenna off his vehicle and use it in support of Dundee - an antenna that was shaped like a boomerang! (Get it? Australia, boomerang?) It's this apparent facility with the iconic Australian aboriginal weapon which prompts Dundee to repeat his question to Gus about his possible Pintinjarra tribal affiliation. To which Gus now responds "No, man. Harlem Warlords." (Earlier in the movie, Gus's response to a similar question was brusque, bordering on offended [the exchange is roughly as Vulpior suggested would be likely] but by this point Dundee's Australian forthrightness and charm has won over the cynical New Yorker and they've become friends. Not close enough to win actor Reginald VelJohnson a spot in the two Crockodile Dundee sequels - but then that was probably for the best, as a much more prominent role in the Die Hard series beckoned...)

And Organ Builder - I can report that I have, in fact, on one occasion eaten apple pie for breakfast in a Vermont diner, but the waitress's reaction to my order seemed less one of recognition of my attempt at true Yankee-ness than of faint disbelief that anyone would want a piece of a pie that had likely been sitting out all night in a display case on the counter...

Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dave W, I think you meant to refer to the Pitjantjatjara peoples.

My earliest reliable memories of US race terms date back to the late 50s. By then, "nigger" was definitely out, but "negro" was perfectly respectable; "black" was not How things have changed.... It was also quite proper to refer to "people of colour".

At the same time, apartheid was well and truly entrenched in South Africa. One of the groupings there was "Cape Coloured" to refer to those of mixed parentage. From memory, Cape Coloureds were not subjected to all the indignities to which blacks were, but still did not have the full privileges accorded to whites. Does Mary LA or anyone else know what has happened to that term? Did it stay until the system was abolished and then fade away?

It is still OK here to refer to "disabled people", and to refer to "people with a disability" would be seen as an affectation. "Disabled Parking" is a common sign, although it is linguistically a mess of a phrase.

One of Tom Sharpe's books deals with the problem. The appellation "dwarf" is all but prohibited. Instead, the approved name is "Persons of Restricted Growth" - which, of course, becomes "Porgs". An excellent example of replacing a well-known word with a much more offensive phrase.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Where I live the term negro is commonly used when talking about the non white Americans, but nobody says African Americans (a clumsy and non specific term). There is never any offence intended. I guess we Aussies tend to use more slang in the vernacular than many other countries.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016