homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: On the Naming of Churches (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: On the Naming of Churches
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Over the years I've considered the hodge-podge of church names we United Methodists manage to stick on our churches. Rural, southern churches are often called X Memorial or X Chapel, where X is the family name of the people who started it or gave the land for the building. "TownName First" is common, along with streets or neighborhoods (Julia Street, Central, West End, etc.). The church plants in the past fifteen years or so sound more like non-denoms, such as The Orchard (Tupelo, MS) ClearBranch (Trussville, AL), The Bridge (a failed plant in Huntsville, AL), and Community Church Without Walls (downtown Birmingham, AL). A few are named for things relating to John Wesley -- Aldersgate, Epworth -- and a few are called Asbury after one of the two first Methodist bishops in the US*. There are an oddball few named for places in the Bible, particularly the Old Testament (Mt. Nebo, Bethel, Jerusalem), but one finds those more on Baptist churches than Methodist in this part of the world.

Then there are the "religious" names, those names that are saints, aspects of Christianity, or of God. Trinity, Grace, Faith, St. Paul, St. Peter, St. Matthew, St. John, Church of the Reconciler, Church of the Resurrection, St. Junia (this one pleases me mightily; it is a brand new plant in Birmingham's poverty-stricken inner city neighborhood of West End), and a host of Christ Church (or Christ the King, or simply Christ). Interestingly, I find the vast majority of United Methodist churches which are named for saints don't put the "'s" on it (St. Matthew instead of St. Matthew's, for instance). I don't quite know why this is.

The last section is most similar to the Episcopal and Catholic churches I've come across, though I cannot think of any Methodist churches named for extra-Biblical saints such as Ignatius, Francis, or Augustine. Even the number named for St. Barnabas or St. Stephen fall far short of Sts. Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, and Paul. If there are any named for the Blessed Virgin I am certainly not aware; most Methodists would have a bit of a conniption if such a thing were suggested.

I write all this because I want to discuss some of the reasons why churches (of any denomination or faith tradition) choose the names they do. I think there is something to a name. Many shipmates are part of churches that have existed for hundreds of years (I have two; the older is a mere 130 years young), and these churches are quite well known in their community by their name. Other churches are being planted, however, and so someone, somewhere is giving some thought to what they should be named.

There are also churches which change names on occasion. The Bible talks about God changing names at times. Abram becomes Abraham, Sarai becomes Sarah, Jacob becomes Israel, and Simon becomes Peter. Sometimes I think God leads churches to change their name. I hear about it a lot more in Pentecostal and non-denom circles than anywhere else, but it's not inconceivable elsewhere. There are situations where a church's reputation in a community is tarnished or the membership is so entrenched in the way things have always been that a completely new name and vision is needed.

I also think a name tells prospective visitors a bit about what to expect; a place called The Orchard probably isn't going to be Anglo-Catholic, and a place called St. Clements or St. Mary Magdalene probably isn't going to be happy-clappy low church. A name like Hamby's Chapel makes me expect a small church (probably out in the country) where everyone is related, while St. Matthias is probably an urban or suburban Anglican church.

I have many questions on the subject, but the biggest one is this: If you were part of a new church plant or an existing church that was changing its name, what would you think to name it, and why?

And secondary to that, is a church name just an easy identifier to you, or should a name communicate what that church's perceived mission or niche in that community might be?

[ 10. January 2015, 16:48: Message edited by: seasick ]

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not uncommon for low/charismatic Anglican churches in the CoE to be in more traditionally-named churches, eg St Barnabas' or St Wilfrid's - the one in my town is.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Funny you should start this thread - our glorious leader's thought have been running along the same lines!

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
It's not uncommon for low/charismatic Anglican churches in the CoE to be in more traditionally-named churches, eg St Barnabas' or St Wilfrid's - the one in my town is.

How old are said churches, though? If they're over fifty years old then I can see why the name might not "match" the worship done there.

With any generalization there are bound to be many exceptions. I'm sure there are plenty of examples going both ways. The important thing is the feeling such a name imparts -- a very subjective and individual feeling, I think. So really I only mention it in passing.

[ 05. May 2014, 22:47: Message edited by: Barefoot Friar ]

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In a city which has hosted a raft of Anglican liturgical changes and challenges over the past 220 odd years, churches have always been dedicated to one saint or another - St Andrew's Cathedral, Christ Church St Laurence, etc. Since the late 1900s, especially during the reign of Pontifex Jensen, the trend has been to name new churches after the suburb they have been located: Green Pastures Anglican Church. Even older churches have gone more 'hip' by dropping their traditional dedications.

When our new communities were established we wanted to ensure that our (modern) Anglo-Catholic nature was manifest, resulting in the establishment of The Anglican Communities of Our Lady as the umbrella organisation, under which there is the Community of our Lady of Advent, of the Rocks, of the Valley, and of the Mystic Rose. In the last three there is a linking of our patroness with the locality, aiding identification of locals rather than some ubiquitous term with which no-one readily identifies.

[ 05. May 2014, 23:50: Message edited by: Emendator Liturgia ]

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Hooker's Trick

Admin Emeritus and Guardian of the Gin
# 89

- Posted      Profile for Hooker's Trick   Author's homepage   Email Hooker's Trick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barefoot Friar:
The last section is most similar to the Episcopal and Catholic churches I've come across, though I cannot think of any Methodist churches named for extra-Biblical saints such as Ignatius, Francis, or Augustine.

And yet, St Francis UMC.
Posts: 6735 | From: Gin Lane | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Out here I'd want to use the name of one of the local saints, maybe St. Baithen or St. Comgall, who were abbots of the monastery here in St. Columba's time.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Emendator Liturgia:
... When our new communities were established we wanted to ensure that our (modern) Anglo-Catholic nature was manifest, resulting in the establishment of The Anglican Communities of Our Lady as the umbrella organisation, under which there is the Community of our Lady of Advent, of the Rocks, of the Valley, and of the Mystic Rose. In the last three there is a linking of our patroness with the locality, aiding identification of locals rather than some ubiquitous term with which no-one readily identifies.

You mean there's a suburb of Sydney called Mystic Rose? I like the idea of buses and trains going there.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
You mean there's a suburb of Sydney called Mystic Rose? I like the idea of buses and trains going there.

Well, they would certainly smell nice and fresh all of the time, unlike other trains or buses with their mass of sweating humanity!

Unfortunately there is a much more simpler, if less picturesque explanation: this Community is situation in Rose Bay, and the person who asked us to initiate the community has a particular dedication to the medieval name of Our Lady, the Mystic Rose.

--------------------

Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

If I were considering a new church name for the situation in which I find myself, I would be drawn to a couple different possibilities. One is St. Stephen's. Stephen was the first deacon and was passionate about both service and evangelism. I am trying to lead the churches I have now into that, and I think such a name would be a reminder. It would also be very unique, so it would stand out, especially in this community.

I have thought about St. Barnabas', because his name means "son of encouragement". He sold all his goods and gave the money to the church, and then he accompanied St. Paul on his journey. He was eventually martyred.

I have also thought about something like Good Shepherd or Christ the King, which emphasize aspects of Christ.

Now, I'm realistic enough to know that no matter what name is on the sign out front, the church is to be the body of Christ, teaching what Christ taught and doing what Christ did. We need to be faithful disciples even if our church is named Helicopter of Christ. I know that sometimes names don't matter much. But sometimes they matter a lot, particularly in the first years of a new church plant or in the midst of a major transition of vision and purpose for an existing congregation.

--------------------

Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

quote:
Originally posted by Emendator Liturgia:
When our new communities were established we wanted to ensure that our (modern) Anglo-Catholic nature was manifest, resulting in the establishment of The Anglican Communities of Our Lady as the umbrella organisation, under which there is the Community of our Lady of Advent, of the Rocks, of the Valley, and of the Mystic Rose. In the last three there is a linking of our patroness with the locality, aiding identification of locals rather than some ubiquitous term with which no-one readily identifies.

I like this. It's unique to each spot, yet obviously connected to the whole.

--------------------

WearyPilgrim
Shipmate
# 14593

- Posted      Profile for WearyPilgrim   Email WearyPilgrim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Episcopalians on our nearby island here in Maine formed a new parish several years ago which they appropriately named The Church of St. Brendan the Navigator.

Quite lovely, I think.

Posts: 383 | From: Sedgwick, Maine USA | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The one thing I don't care for (if I were to choose,anyhow) is a church name that makes extraordinary claims to awesomeness. So things like Power House, Inspiration, Joy and Peace, or what have you. They seem to be making promises that you just know are going to get mocked later on. I'd rather name a church something low key and traditional so we don't sound full of ourselves.
[Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

quote:
Originally posted by Barefoot Friar: It is unique to each spot, yet obviously connected to the whole.

Thanks BF - the whole concept came to us rather quickly, which I am more than willing to attribute to guidance of the Spirit: setting up new ecclesial bodies within an existing diocesan structure is something of a challenge, but we try our very hardest to ensure that what we do is complimentary rather than opposed to the established diocese.

--------------------

Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ann:
Funny you should start this thread - our glorious leader's thought have been running along the same lines!

Here are a couple pretty good ones from my neck of the woods: Apostolic Bible Church of Jesus Christ (just south of Seattle) and Church of God, Zillah. The latter is in the town of Zillah in Eastern Washington, and at least for a while they had a statue of Godzilla next to the church. It was certainly attention-getting.

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How.Awesome.Is.That.

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As an RC, if I were naming churches, absent pastoral responses to requests for specific names, I would rotate among four classes of names:

---titles for Our Lord and mysteries directly pertaining to Him (Christ the King, Holy Redeemer, Sacred Heart, Good Shepherd, along with Epiphany, Incarnation, Resurrection, Divine Mercy, etc.)
----titles for Our Lady and mysteries directly pertaining to her (St. Mary, Queen of Heaven, Our Lady of ______, Holy Rosary, Immaculate Conception, Assumption, etc.)
----titles of saints of scripture (apostles, evangelists, St. Joseph, St. Mary Magdalene, St. St. Stephen, St. Joseph of Arimathea, etc.)
----saints of history (rotating between the patristic, medieval, counter-reformation and modern areas)

Posts: 1240 | From: U.S. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With the older churches (small c), it's often just a case of tradition. The church was named as such a long time ago and woe betide anyone who dares to suggest an alternative. Though I tend to potter around the charismatic end of the spectrum, I have yet to find any church that doesn't put a lot of thought into its name, even if the final result may sound generic. For example, I have been to a few "X Community Church" where X is the name of the place.

One of the more interesting names I have come across is The People's Church, Banbury. It puts the emphasis on the people rather than on God or any particular individual or tradition. Some might object to that, but I think it's quite nice, particularly with their motto: "No perfect people allowed"

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Call me old fashioned, but churches dedicated to saints were thus because they sought that particular saint to pray for them.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The impression I get is that saints' names would have been chosen in order to associate the UMC with the Protestant mainstream rather than with rough sects whose church names lacked gravitas or pedigree. Whether 'St. Peter's' or 'Beulah' was chosen would have depended on the relevant class and social issues in a church's early history.

In the UK, Methodist churches are usually just named after where they are; a road or an area. Sometimes the names are a bit more creative or pious-sounding, but that's not the norm.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheAlethiophile:
One of the more interesting names I have come across is The People's Church, Banbury. It puts the emphasis on the people rather than on God or any particular individual or tradition. Some might object to that, but I think it's quite nice, particularly with their motto: "No perfect people allowed"

Darn! I'll be sure not to go there if I'm ever in Banbury.
[Biased]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Even Catholic Churches get a new dedication sometimes: My favourite example is St. James Cathedral in Montreal.

In 1955, at the request of the-then archbishop,Paul-Emile Leger, and with the agreement of the Vatican, the dedication was changed to Marie, Reine du Monde et St Jacques. (Mary Queen of the World and St James) It is commonly known as Mary Queen of the World, and St James is all but forgotten.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Similarly PeteC I like the example of Arundel Cathedral: it was originally dedicated to Our Lady and St Philip Neri, but after the canonisation of St Philip Howard in 1971, it became Our Lady and St Philip Howard. Quite to be expected really, since it was built by a Duke of Norfolk and stands next to Arundel Castle. Having a new saint in the family was an obvious cause to change the dedication!

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And secondary to that, is a church name just an easy identifier to you, or should a name communicate what that church's perceived mission or niche in that community might be?

Lutheran (and probably Methodist) churches have gone through naming phases (no particular order):

1. Parish/municipality names (Miami Lutheran Church)
2. Saintly names (St. Martini)
3. Virtuous names (Peace Lutheran)
4. Blank-of-blank names (Prince of Peace Lutheran)
5. Promissory names (Abundant Life Lutheran)
6. Historical names (Wittenberg Lutheran)
7. Establishment or copycat names (First Lutheran)

More recent phases toy with the word "church" or the word "Lutheran," for instance: Community Church of Joy, or less commonly, Faith Lutheran Community.

I do think the name means something, but I think it means more about when then church was started than what the church stands for. People use them as simple designations, and rarely think about what the names mean.

ETA: I think this holds true for Protestants.

[ 07. May 2014, 02:11: Message edited by: Olaf ]

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With Episcopal churches closing, merging, etc., it has made for some interesting names. When Christ Church in one town merged with the Church of the Redeemer in the next town over, it easily became the Church of Christ the Redeemer. But others don't work as well, e.g. Church of St. Matthew and the Resurrection, Church of the Holy Trinity and Saint Margaret, etc.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
In the UK, Methodist churches are usually just named after where they are; a road or an area.

Where I live seems like every Methodist church is named First United Methodist Church. (which suggests there ought to be a second united methodist church sometimes?) So you have to add the town name if you want to specify the church.

Houston has a huge First Baptist and a huge Second Baptist. There's also a Third Baptist.

The non-denominationals get more interesting names. Celebration, Riverside (referring to the metaphysical river), Abundant Life, Church without Walls, Fellowship of Love, Encourager

I just learned there's a St Julian of Norwich Episcopal church named that because one of the people founding it (in 2009, in a fast growing area) was told in a dream to name it that.

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Houston has a huge First Baptist and a huge Second Baptist. There's also a Third Baptist.

It would be interesting to find out if there are places that have a "Second" or "Third" Church, but not a "First" Church, because it closed.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Somewhere on t'intertubes there's a picture of a place called "The Ram in the Bush."

Fnarr fnarr arf arf kersnipp kersnipp hyuck hyuck etc.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some of the more interesting names stem from the African Pentecostal churches one finds in abundance in south London. One of my favourites (though I have yet to set foot inside the door) is Beneficial Veracious Christ Church.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

quote:
Originally posted by Olaf:
I do think the name means something, but I think it means more about when then church was started than what the church stands for. People use them as simple designations, and rarely think about what the names mean.

It took me a second to realize your point here. To clarify, you are saying that churches are named by recent trend or fad more than meaning? That makes sense. I hadn't considered the trend/fad angle so much. Our language is very trendy ("reach out to..."? What happened to "contacted"?), and considering the churches I've seen planted in the past ten years or so that holds true with names as well.

So if you're right, "Greater Macedonia Miracle Kingdom and Revival Center" is as much or more a product of the time it was planted (mid-1980s I believe) than the hopes and dreams Dr. Lewis had for the new church.

Yet even in that, some thought went into the name. One planter with whom I was friends was naming his church "Mosaic". There's a famous Mosaic in Cali, and then a bunch of other not famous ones. He had a reason for naming it that (something about the way in a mosaic the individual pieces are unique yet come together to make a cohesive whole). So while it may have been the church-naming equivalent to Mikayla, it didn't come from a vacuum.

--------------------

listener
Apprentice
# 15770

- Posted      Profile for listener   Email listener   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
...It would be interesting to find out if there are places that have a "Second" or "Third" Church, but not a "First" Church, because it closed. [/QB]

Vancouver BC now has no First Church of Christ Scientist, but there is a Second Church...
Posts: 31 | From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Right let me see. There is a tradition in English Non-Conformity of naming churches after places. These may be specific such "London Street United Reformed Church" or "Cemetery Road Baptist Church". They might refer to the town or suburb they are in such as "Ashton on Mersey United Reformed Church" or "Buxton Methodist Church". This is the dominant form.

There are however exceptions and the first of these is the Biblical reference. This subdivides into two, the historically used one and the more modern Ecumenical ones. The historical use names like: Zion, Bethel, Providence and Ebenezer. The more modern ecumenical have names like Emmanuel, Trinity and Holy Family. Christ Church is ambiguous, it might be a modern ecumenical or it might mark a former Churches of Christ congregation.

Among Baptist and Congregationalist (or former Congregationalist members of the URC) you get memorial churches that are erected to the memory of a particular cleric. So you get "Dodderidge Memorial Church" or "Baxter Memorial Church". There are other less well known ones as well. Some of them do not have Memorial in the name. Methodists excel at this with "Wesley" appearing in many churches but Baptists are not immune.

However, Presbyterians did not particularly go for that. Rather they tended to name their churches after Scottish or Celtic Saints. There are therefore many "St Andrews" within the URC. We have a few St Columba, St Aidan and St Ninian as well.

Sometimes you get mergers where both names are preserved. So we have "Wilbraham St Ninians". However, you may also see "United" or "Union" in the name. Also sometimes you will see Placename Free Church.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry to double post but just come across this delightfully named URC "Whitefield Memorial Tabernacle. That will be its official name, it is known as Horfield URC.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

It took me a second to realize your point here. To clarify, you are saying that churches are named by recent trend or fad more than meaning? That makes sense. I hadn't considered the trend/fad angle so much. Our language is very trendy ("reach out to..."? What happened to "contacted"?), and considering the churches I've seen planted in the past ten years or so that holds true with names as well.

So if you're right, "Greater Macedonia Miracle Kingdom and Revival Center" is as much or more a product of the time it was planted (mid-1980s I believe) than the hopes and dreams Dr. Lewis had for the new church.

I understood Olaf to be saying that the name reflected the hopes and dreams of the people who established the church but did not necessarily have much resonance with the current congregation; for them/us it is just a name and they/we rarely think about its significance.

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

A number of years ago I was involved with an Episcopal parish that was planning to merge* with another church, to become official on January 1st. "Church of the Holy Name" seemed appropriate because of the date, but some of us thought "Church of the Circumcision" would be equally appropriate and possibly unique.
[Snigger]
(*The merger never happened.)

[ 08. May 2014, 21:44: Message edited by: Pigwidgeon ]

--------------------
~Tortuf

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JoannaP:
quote:
quote:

I understood Olaf to be saying that the name reflected the hopes and dreams of the people who established the church but did not necessarily have much resonance with the current congregation; for them/us it is just a name and they/we rarely think about its significance.
Yes, that is what I meant. Thank you for the help articulating it! In Protestant places, it usually seems to be a visionary, perhaps the mission developer (and perhaps a very small cadre) who come up with the name.
Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Frankly, what is, for some, an apparent dissonance of parish title with the parish's dominant occupants (this week) is more, to me, a sign of catholicity.

So the St. Patrick's down the road, populated almost entirely by Haitians these days forces us to draw lessons by the concurrence of a impassioned Romano-Briton sea-immigrant to Ireland with impassioned Afro-Caribbean sea-immigrants to mainland America.

At St. Paul's, Pilsen, in Chicago, the fundraising plaques demonstrate this clearly. Founded and funded by Germans, the names show the founders gave way to successive waves of Italians, Mexicans, and who-know-who's-next.

Would we cast off the name Paul for now Luguori and now Hurtado?

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Numbered churches: "First Whatever" is pretty standard for mainline American Protestant denominations. "Second Whatever" is a little less so; in my experience AMPD's tend to go for neighborhood designations for names. However, DC has a "Sixth Presbyterian."

The Lutheran (ELCA) churches around here seem to be mostly a hodgepodge; there's the traditional (Trinity, Mt. Olivet, St. Pauls); a very few location based (Georgetown); some "attribute of God" names (Faith, Hope, Grace, Peace, Abiding Presence); and then a few (Augustana, Reformation, Luther Place) that are more Uniquely Lutheran.

And, of course, this being DC, there's no shortage of "National Memorial" or "National City" or "Capitol City" names.

ETA: personally, I'm a bit of a fan of picking a denomination- or area- specific name or patron; there are enough "First Whatevers," or "St. Paul's," perhaps not enough "Alexander Campbell Memorial" or "Our Lady of Ghisallo's"

[ 09. May 2014, 03:03: Message edited by: Ariston ]

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
cosmic dance
Shipmate
# 14025

- Posted      Profile for cosmic dance   Email cosmic dance   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When travelling, my husband and I like to collect church names that appear to have little connection with anything overtly 'Christian' perhaps to appeal to those who are put off by traditional church names. But some names give no idea as to actual identity.
Hence - 'City Impact', perhaps a panel beating business. 'Link' - fencing supplies? 'Equippers' - maybe a hardware store. 'Lifeswitch' - electricians? Arise - your guess is as good as mine.

This part of the world is full of the 'non-church' church name.

--------------------
"No method, no teacher, no guru..." Van Morrison.

Posts: 233 | From: godzone | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cosmic dance:
Arise? your guess is as good as mine.

I'm afraid I can't go past the thought of a sexual dysfunction clinic.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Photo Geek
Shipmate
# 9757

- Posted      Profile for Photo Geek   Email Photo Geek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And then there's the R. E. Lee Memorial Church in Vriginia

--------------------
"Liberal Christian" is not an oxymoron.

Posts: 242 | From: Southern Ohio, US | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

quote:
Yes, that is what I meant. Thank you for the help articulating it! In Protestant places, it usually seems to be a visionary, perhaps the mission developer (and perhaps a very small cadre) who come up with the name.

Ah, I understand.

I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that the vast majority of people, churchgoers and non-churchgoers alike, think of a church name only in terms of "that is what that building and group of Christians is called" and not at all in a sense of "that name means they believe X and do Y". It doesn't matter if your church is named St. Zylvx or Adoration Restoration Church International, so long as there isn't another by a similar name nearby to cause confusion.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

... although in certain circles, the same name gets used over and over and OVER ad infinitum.

I have close ties with at least nine places named Concordia at this time, and I've probably forgotten some.

--------------------

Corvo
Shipmate
# 15220

- Posted      Profile for Corvo   Email Corvo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to occasionally go to a church called 'Anytown Free Church' and remember visitors saying the word 'Free' made it sound open-minded and welcoming compared to others in the area which had 'religious' sounding names.
Posts: 672 | From: The Most Holy Trinity, Coach Lane, North Shields | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

When living in Louisvile, KY, I most days drove past New Coke UMC; AFAIK it's still there. (I have no idea if there is or was a predecessor or founder Coke UMC.) And it DEFINITELY pre-dates the 'New Coke' failed product from Coca-Cola!
[Snigger]

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some unusual church names I've collected over the years:
  • Ascension and St. Agnes (TEC) in Washington, DC. (I always imagine Agnes shouting 'Wait for me, Lord!'
  • Holy Cross-Emmanuel-St. Bartholomew's (TEC merged congs. in Chicago). Later, I believe, changed to something less jaw-breaking.
  • Church of Jesus Christ Apostolic Signs Following - a small congregation in Eastern Kentucky, which practiced poisonous snake-handling and poison drinking. (I believe, but don't know, that this is one of a number of like-named and believing churches in that part of Appalachia.)

The following 2 were named for neighborhoods or streets, but they always provoked a giggle:
  • Country Club UMC (Kansas City, IIRC), and
  • Lover's Lane UMC (perhaps Tulsa, OK) (They could have advertised 'Weddings our specialty' [Big Grin]
  • There are several TEC Church of the Heavenly Rest (including a notable one in NYC); I'm told that they were founded as memorials to those killed in the Civil War.

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy:
  • Lover's Lane UMC (perhaps Tulsa, OK) (They could have advertised 'Weddings our specialty' [Big Grin]

Along the same line of thought, not too far from me is "St. Gabriel of the Sorrowful Mother." I have often thought how odd wedding invitations stating that the wedding is at that church would look. And pitied the mothers of the bride and groom having to react to the obvious jokes all day.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
k-mann
Shipmate
# 8490

- Posted      Profile for k-mann   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The church plants in the past fifteen years or so sound more like non-denoms, such as … Community Church Without Walls…

??? What is that even supposed to mean?

--------------------
"Being religious means asking passionately the question of the meaning of our existence and being willing to receive answers, even if the answers hurt."
— Paul Tillich

Katolikken

Posts: 1314 | From: Norway | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Ah, I understand.

I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that the vast majority of people, churchgoers and non-churchgoers alike, think of a church name only in terms of "that is what that building and group of Christians is called" and not at all in a sense of "that name means they believe X and do Y". It doesn't matter if your church is named St. Zylvx or Adoration Restoration Church International, so long as there isn't another by a similar name nearby to cause confusion.

I will say that some church names—the ubiquitous St. Paul's, for instance—won't tell you much; however, others like "Victory" or "The Vineyard" or "The Potter's House" seem to indicate that you probably shouldn't expect smells & bells.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
Numbered churches: "First Whatever" is pretty standard for mainline American Protestant denominations. "Second Whatever" is a little less so; in my experience AMPD's tend to go for neighborhood designations for names. However, DC has a "Sixth Presbyterian."

I'll see your DC's Sixth Presbyterian and raise you a Baltimore Seventh Baptist, North Avenue.

In fact, there is in Boston a Twelfth Baptist, Warren Street.

[ 10. May 2014, 03:44: Message edited by: The Silent Acolyte ]

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016