homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » AS: The Ship of Fools Recipe Book (Page 0)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: AS: The Ship of Fools Recipe Book
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like that idea, Ariel. And even if the recipe isn't entirely do-able (or just doesn't sound good to someone who didn't grow up with it), I find such exchanges to be a good way to increase our understanding of and appreciation of each other.

Here's another question. Is there a deadline by which you'd like to have the recipes? (I know the answer is "as soon as possible". My question is probably better translated as, "If I don't get my recipes to you in the next 24 hours, when I will be leaving on vacation, will I miss the boat entirely; or can I send them to you in 2 weeks?")
Thank you.
Mamacita, not trying to be a pain the neck

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been rendering the recipes into HTML. So far I only have a very few recipes. Until more people send in recipes there is little I can do. I have also been trawling through the Recipe thread in Heaven.

The way that I am writing the SoF Cookbook webpages means that we will be able to add recipes to the selection as and when more recipes are submitted.

It might help people to submit recipes if we had a theme each fortnight. Since it is summer for most of us (and the Antipodean and southern African shipmates could probably do with being reminded of summer)- people please send me barbeque recipes. The nominal closing date for barbeque recipes is the 15th of August, but of course late comers will be able to sumbit too.

The barbeque recipes could be for meat, vegetarian, or sweet-stuff. I shall be submitting barbequed pineapple slices with ginger, and stuffed peppers with feta cheese and walnuts.

Please put your recipes on the Recipe thread in Heaven.

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Babybear, did you get the ones I emailed you?

I hope you're going to have a fish/seafood section. Life (and cookery books) would not be complete without one.

dolphy

Lady of Perpetual Responsiblity
# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Motherboard,

To answer your question about the swede in my recipe, they are similar to turnips but much much nicer. They are large, round and yellow in colour...

If anyone could provide a link I would be most grateful.

[ 02. August 2003, 11:01: Message edited by: dolphy ]

--------------------
Looking forward to my rock moving closer again.

Posts: 15134 | From: my camper van | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by babybear:
I shall be submitting barbequed pineapple slices with ginger, and stuffed peppers with feta cheese and walnuts.

Yum, those stuffed peppers were amazing.

I do a pretty mean veg and halloumi cheese kebab which is ideal for BBQ and ridiculously easy. However, the recipe really would be very haphazard as it's one of those "make up as you go along" things. Will do my best to put it into some sort of coherent form before the closing date.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dolphy:
To answer your question about the swede in my recipe, they are similar to turnips but much much nicer. They are large, round and yellow in colour...

If anyone could provide a link I would be most grateful.

I obviously have far too much time on my hands [Roll Eyes] I have just done a Google search and suspect that in the US a swede might be called a rutabaga (though don't quote me, I didn't spend hours researching).

The lovely Delia has come up trumps again - here for your delectation is her take on the swede.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yep, that's a rutabaga.
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The first 15 recipes are now up! SoF Cookbook. I have 10 more recipes to go up.

So far we have Avocado Mozzarella and Tomato Salad, Barbequed Spare Ribs, Barbeque Sauce, Calabacitas, Cheese Straws, Chicken with Honey and Mustard, Chicken Liver Pate, Devilled Eggs, Fudge, German Potato Salad, Meat and Quince Stew, Orange Glazed Chicken, Pineapple with Ginger, Scottish Tablet and Texas Caviar (Bean Salad).

Any more suggestions for bbq-ed food, either sweet or savory, or even a salad?

How about suggestions for chicken dishes?

Any offers for drinks?

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dolphy

# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Any offers for drinks?

Yes, I'd love a glass of white wine. [Wink]

babybear, Motherboard has a recipe for Cornish pasties if you want to include them.

--------------------

tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have e-mailed you my recipe for barbequed Beer-Butt Chicken.
Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And for my 1,000th post!

Thanks from the recipe team for all your responses! We are thrilled at the outpouring, but why hasn't everyone [Paranoid] sent something in?

GET OFF THE LAWN CHAIRS! [Snigger]
STOP CUTTING THE GRASS! [Big Grin]
GET OUT OF THE CAR ON YOUR WAY TO THE BEACHES! [Razz]
GET TO A COMPUTER!

and SEND THOSE RECIPES!

Motherboard (a 'thousandaire', at last!) [Yipee]

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yow! Okay, already! (Kenw rubs his arm) Some crazy lady out there twisted this until I came in and read the posts. What've we got? Hmmmm...oh, okay...yeah....yeah...uh huh...sheesh...ahhhhh, now I go it!

Just submitted my "Grandma' Smackin Tri-tip with Purple Gravy, Sauteed Onions and Tomatoes" to our girl Mobo. See what she and BB think.

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a look at the online version. The illustrations are lovely! Suddenly I've acquired nice pictures on my recipes!

But someone's changed the measurements. I don't think I put "half a cup" of wine - and I definitely didn't put "3/4 stick" of butter. Now I'm confused. Who thinks in "sticks of butter"?

babybear
# 34

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
I had a look at the online version. The illustrations are lovely! Suddenly I've acquired nice pictures on my recipes!

Glad you like them. I have been searching through clipart, and copying images and altering them.

quote:
But someone's changed the measurements. I don't think I put "half a cup" of wine - and I definitely didn't put "3/4 stick" of butter. Now I'm confused. Who thinks in "sticks of butter"?
I did. 1 stick of butter is 4 oz (100g). The metric quantities are given on the left of the ingredients and the imperial/cups are on the right. Where people have submitted recipes in tablespoons I have left them in tablespoon. There are some recipes that are only given in tablespoons, teaspoons, and dashes. eg Moo's Devilled Eggs so the amounts are only on the left side.

I am building a glossary. If you see any terms that you don't recognise please let me know. I am also constructing a table of "1 cup equals". When that table is a bit more complete I shall also be putting it on the website.

If you would like to submit a recipe please have a look at what is already up. Have a look at the way the recipes are laid out, and if at all posible please submit in a simial format. It make it much easier to get the recipes on-line.

Please start submitting vegetarian dishes.

bb

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
bb, sorry to be a pain but in Zipporah's recipe for Tablet (mmmmmm) one of the ingredients is down as "ingredient". I am assuming that this should be butter.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
babybear
# 34

That is not being a pain! That is being a good Smudgie! Thanks, I shall go change that and update it later today.

Please, please, if anyone sees any mistakes let me know.

bb

Sine Nomine*

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I assume you will take what you want from the existing recipes on the recipe thread. Correct?

I posted a vegetarian lentil-cheese casserole on it a good while back.

JB*

Horse marine
# 396

- Posted      Profile for JB*         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
quote:

Now that so many Californians are moving into Santa Fe we see lots of places, even Hispanic places, have added vegetarian sections to their menu. It's nice to have a use for them.

--------------------
You live, you learn. You learn, you live.

Posts: 1011 | From: State of Amazement and Delight | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JB:
quote:
quote:

Now that so many Californians are moving into Santa Fe we see lots of places, even Hispanic places, have added vegetarian sections to their menu. It's nice to have a use for them.
Yes, vegetarians can be quite useful; chunked and diced, they make wonderful thickeners for soups and stews! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kenwritez:
Yes, vegetarians can be quite useful; chunked and diced, they make wonderful thickeners for soups and stews!

And pies! The worst pies in London.
Amazing Grace*

Shipmate
# 4754

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace*   Email Amazing Grace*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Glad you like them. I have been searching through clipart, and copying images and altering them.

quote:
I did. 1 stick of butter is 4 oz (100g). The metric quantities are given on the left of the ingredients and the imperial/cups are on the right. Where people have submitted recipes in tablespoons I have left them in tablespoon. There are some recipes that are only given in tablespoons, teaspoons, and dashes. eg Moo's Devilled Eggs so the amounts are only on the left side.

I am building a glossary. If you see any terms that you don't recognise please let me know. I am also constructing a table of "1 cup equals". When that table is a bit more complete I shall also be putting it on the website.

If you would like to submit a recipe please have a look at what is already up. Have a look at the way the recipes are laid out, and if at all posible please submit in a simial format. It make it much easier to get the recipes on-line.

bb

I shall when I recover from Eevil Blaster.

I will also send along a link to an excellent "equivalents" page. 1 cup sugar is not the same weight as 1 cup flour!

Charlotte aka Amazing Grace (American who owns a kitchen scale)

--------------------
.sig on vacation

Posts: 2594 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I'm still confused, and trying to figure out the consistency of measurements. Are "cups" used for liquid measurements or dry ones? Are flour and onions and sugar and so on always measured in cups in America?
Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm still confused, and trying to figure out the consistency of measurements. Are "cups" used for liquid measurements or dry ones?
Both. It's not done by weight but by volume.

quote:
Are flour and onions and sugar and so on always measured in cups in America?
Yes, almost always.

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
babybear
# 34

quote:
Originally posted by ariel:
Are flour and onions and sugar and so on always measured in cups in America?

Cups and tablespoons tend to be the main measuring devices used in America. Stick (of butter) are also used and then the fall-back is ounces.

There will of course be inaccuracies introduce when converting from one system to another, but so far we haven't got many recipes where that would actually made a great deal of difference. Most of the recipes so far have included the technical terms 'some', 'a bit' and 'a dash'. [Big Grin]

quote:
Are "cups" used for liquid measurements or dry ones?
1 cup of water is 240ml = 240g
1 cup of rice crispies is 30g
1 cup of butter is 250g = 2½ sticks

Only one of my own recipes uses cups, and that is porridge. [/i]¼ of a cup of oats, and ½ of water. Mix and pop in the microwave for 1 min. Stir. [/i] For most Americans, they will only have a few recipes that use weights rather than cups, tablespoons, sticks and dashes.

We also have a few problems because icing sugar doesn't exist in America, but confectionar's sugar is very similar. There is a similar problem with double cream and heavy cream, and then the cheeses too!

Most people who like cooking will use a recipe as a guide, and will happily subsititue ingredients or alter the amounts depending on their tastes. When using the recipes look on them as and adventure. Explore and play.

bb

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote from bb
quote:
[Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

This must be a British cup--10 fluid ounces.

An American cup is 8 ounces, and 1 cup butter = 2 sticks.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote from bb
quote:

Butter is never measured in fluid ounces as far as I know - just ordinary ounces. 250g is about 8 oz, or half a pound.

I give up - I guess if I had grown up with the system I would understand it better. Anyway, I think my recipes should work - enjoy!

dolphy

# 862

quote:
Butter is never measured in fluid ounces as far as I know

It might be if you left it out in the sun [Wink]

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Measuring cups measure in fluid ounces, as opposed to avoirdupois ounces, which are weight.

When an American recipe calls for a cup of flour, the flour is measured in fluid ounces even though the flour is not fluid.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Out of curiosity do Australians and New Zealanders use those measurements too?
multipara
Shipmate
# 2918

- Posted      Profile for multipara   Author's homepage   Email multipara   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Less and less. In the last 20 years metric measures have been the go here in Oz. The average measuring cup (for liquids) holds 500 ml (an Imperial pint is 600 ml).

The Commonsense Cookery Book (the beginner's bible)used imperial measures with appropriate cups, spoons etc. I picked up the 1995 version in a second-hand shop last year and it had gone metric.

It is still wonderfully useful, even though the editors have added some shockers especially in the "vegetarian" section.

My personal favourite is the Presbyterian Cookbook, which ( the version we had dated from 1960) was full of useful recipes for the Sabbath which could be done the day before and popped into the oven before morning church, ready to eat 2 hours later.

cheers all,

m

--------------------
quod scripsi, scripsi

Posts: 4985 | From: new south wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
boofhead
Shipmate
# 4478

- Posted      Profile for boofhead   Author's homepage   Email boofhead   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought one metric cup was 250 ml.

Would it be possible to extend the cookbook to indicate leftovers potential?

As an aside, The Commonsense Cookery Book (in 2 volumes) is a great book. My Grandma introduced me to it at the age of 5? over 30 years ago when she let me help her make scones.

Unfortunately it is somewhat disorganised and the section in Volume 2 on refrigeration and leftovers could probably be expanded. (my whinge from consulting it last weekend to find out about the leftover potential of roast pork)

The pikelet recipe in the Commonsense Cookbook formed part of our staple diet for many years. We had pikelets (with jam and cream of course) for dinner on Saturday nights many times.

---------
My Grandma deserved praise for many things, not least that she introduced me to cooking

Posts: 111 | From: Sydney | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have decided to convert my Creole recipe to "handfuls", "pinches", etc.

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
frin

Drinking coffee for Jesus
# 9

- Posted      Profile for frin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Metric cups are 250ml and hold 250ml of water. I can also report that I regularly cook from several US cookbooks (and random recipes of the internet) and the effect of using metric cups on the efficacy of recipes is negligible - even in baking cookies, cakes, etc.

'frin

--------------------
"Even the crocodile looks after her young" - Lamentations 4, remembering Erin.

Posts: 4496 | From: a library | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
# 34

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote from bb
quote:

Moo

I have a table that gives "1 cups equals", and that said that 1 cup of butter = 250g. I know that 1 stick of butter = 4oz = 100g, so by putting those together, I came up with a figure that 1 cups = 2½ sticks.

I shall change that to read that 1 cup = 200g = 8oz = 2 sticks. So far, I don't think that I have used anything other than portions of sticks of butter.

quote:
boofhead asked:
Would it be possible to extend the cookbook to indicate leftovers potential?

Sounds good. If a recipe can be cooked from frozen, etc then please do say. The recipe pages are laid out with the title, a picture, ingredients, method and then notes. The notes section would be a fantastic place to put that information.

We can introduce a 'Leftover' section, recipes that can be made from leftovers. Somethign I regularly do is to cook double quantities of bolognaise meat sauce, and freeze half. Then later in the week it is quick and easy to make a lasagne.

When I roast a chicken I make a lot of gravy, and then freeze what is not used. This can be re-heated to go with a chicken breast, or can be used as part of the stock for soup.

Do we need a "Tips" section?

bb

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just for accuracy 1 oz = 28.3 g. Some recipes work with 25g and some with 30g. This may explain why 250g work as cups as it is just less than 9 oz while 200g is just over 7 oz. If you want it precise I suggest you use 225g however I really do not think it matters.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Would anyone be interested in my recipe for Roman Chicken? It's not technically my own invention (it is, in fact, from ancient Rome) but it's the one I use and a favourite dish. It's from this cookbook. There is no measurement given, though -- it's along the lines of an ingredient list more than anything else. Here's an example of the way these things are written.

But it seems to work pretty well even though I just put in random amounts of spices (I use a lot, especially since I don't add salt) and one of the ingredients is actually extinct (!). It involves chicken, cumin, prunes or plums, celery seed and a few other things.

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apicius is good.

Between him & my Larousse I need never be short of silly recipes.

Though Jane Grigson's Vegetable Book, the best cookery book ever written, is the place for sensible recipies!

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie:
Just for accuracy 1 oz = 28.3 g. Some recipes work with 25g and some with 30g. This may explain why 250g work as cups as it is just less than 9 oz while 200g is just over 7 oz. If you want it precise I suggest you use 225g however I really do not think it matters.

If you are cooking something that requires accuracy to the nearest gram, or even 10 grams, you probably shouldn't be!

My prefered tactic is to add however much you want of whatever you want, mix it till it feels right, then cook it till it smells right.

Which is probably why I find bread easier to cook than pastry, and cakes almost impossible.

But then I've met people who rely on precise measurements & timings and have real hassle with bread, because you can't cook it like that.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

You do have to measure baking soda and baking powder carefully. Otherwise the finished product may be inedible.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

dsiegmund
Shipmate
# 908

- Posted      Profile for dsiegmund   Email dsiegmund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chastmastr,
I'm partial to historical recipes, so I'd like to see your Apican chicken recipe. I have a number of recipes dating from the War Between the States and a recipe for teacakes that came in the proverbial covered wagon with my family to Texas.

Posts: 180 | From: Bastrop, Texas | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

I have a cookbook of medieval recipes.

Unfortunately, it says things like, "Add a goodly quantity of cinnamon, but not too much."

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

In other words, season to taste.

I love historical recipes, and once invited some brave friends round for a Roman meal based on Apicius. It began with fresh sardines and salad - sardines were a delicacy in Roman days, believe it or not - and went on to what unappetizingly translates as chicken with custard, which is actually a spicy chicken quiche, only without the pastry. I remember serving this with turnips flavoured with rosemary, and green beans. For dessert, fresh blackberries with honeyed cream.

It was interesting and much nicer than I'd expected (although I'd practised) and went down very well. But closer to Indian than modern Italian. No tomatoes or potatoes or pasta and a good deal more spices. And you do need to adapt Apicius a little for modern tastes.

JB*

Horse marine
# 396

quote:
Originally posted by Kenwritez:
quote:
Originally posted by JB:
quote:
quote:

It's nice to have a use for them.
Yes, vegetarians can be quite useful; chunked and diced, they make wonderful thickeners for soups and stews! [Big Grin]
I know that the beef industry is in bad shape right now, but it has been "hard times in the American West" ever since it was invented. However, imaging my horror when I got home with the meat today and found this sticker on the package.

I have a modest proposal: we can save the economy if we switch the packing plants to speciality meats. Are there any suggestions?

--------------------

Posts: 1011 | From: State of Amazement and Delight | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, if the carnivores all start consuming one another it will make the world safer for vegetarians. A dead animal is a dead animal, right?

Then again, perhaps not. [Ultra confused]

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

Grandma-smackin' Tri-Tip with Purple Gravy, Sauteed Onions and Tomatoes*

(*So-named because it's so good you'll smack your grandma for never having made it for you.)

Ingredients, listed per recipe:

Meat
====
3-lb. (1.33 kg) tri-tip beef roast ("A beef tri-tip roast is a boneless cut of meat from the bottom sirloin. It also is called "triangular" roast because of its shape.")

Wet Rub
=======
1 T kosher salt
¼ t. ground celery seed
½ t. fresh ground black pepper
¼ t. dried basil
1 T. horseradish mustard
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
8 fresh whole cloves of garlic, minced

Purple Gravy
1 can or 14 oz. fresh chicken stock
8 oz. red wine
4 oz. butter
4 oz. heavy cream
2 T. flour (enough to thicken gravy)
Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste

Fried Onions and Tomatoes
=========================
2 medium white onions, peeled, cored and quartered
1 large beefsteak tomato, cored, drained and cut into ½ inch wedges
4 oz. chicken stock
Salt and pepper to taste

Procedure:

Tri-Tip
=======

1. Pre-heat grill to medium low and scrub clean grill bars when hot.
2. In a food processor, combine all ingredients of wet rub. Process until smooth.
3. Rub mixture on tri-tip coating all sides. Reserve any excess to coat meat during grilling.
4. Heat frying pan big enough to hold meat with 4 T canola or olive oil. Place coated tri-tip into fry pan. Sear until browned on all sides – approximately 2 minutes per side. Reserve this pan "as is" afterward for the gravy to be made.
5. Oil grill to prevent tri-tip from sticking.
6. Place tri-tip on center of grill with the fat side up. Close lid. Cook 25 minutes or until exterior is mostly charred, or until internal temperature reaches 140 degrees F (63 C) for rare or 160 degrees F (71 C) for medium. It's okay if the rub should catch fire for a minute or two; this will crisp the outside nicely.
7. Remove tri-tip from grill and allow to rest uncut for 10-15 minutes.

Purple Gravy
============
8. Add wine, 8-oz. chicken stock, butter to the pan the meat was seared in. Bring to a boil. Reduce by half.
10. Add cream, salt and pepper. Reduce by a quarter.
11. Make thickening for gravy by combining 6 oz. chicken stock with 2 T. flour. Mix well – no lumps! Add thickening to pan and stir to mix. Keep stirring to prevent lumps from forming.

Fried Onions and Tomatoes
=========================
12. Drain tomato wedge in colander over bowl – let drain for 30 minutes.
13. Heat 2 T olive or canola oil in saute pan. Add onions when oil is hot.
14. Saute onions until softened and mostly translucent. Break apart wedges into their discrete layers with a cooking spoon.
15. Add chicken stock, salt and pepper and cover and cook for 2-3 minutes.
16. Add tomatoes. Cook for 2 minutes then remove from heat. Serve immediately.

Slice tri-tip across the grain. Serve with gravy on slices; onions and tomatoes on the side.

--------------------

Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
However, imaging my horror when I got home with the meat today and found this sticker on the package.

Ah, specialty meats.....

Could we interest you in some:

"Pork loin of physicist"?
"Brisket of Librarian"?
"Leg of Politician"?
"Shoulder of Comedian"?
"Eye of round of Emeril"?

Yes, I see how this could more programs for Martha Stewart to tape for her TV show.

[Wink] [Killing me] MB

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
JB*

Horse marine
# 396

quote:
Originally posted by Motherboard:
quote:
However, imaging my horror when I got home with the meat today and found this sticker on the package.

Ah, specialty meats.....

Could we interest you in some:

"Pork loin of physicist"?
"Brisket of Librarian"?
"Leg of Politician"?
"Shoulder of Comedian"?
"Eye of round of Emeril"?

Then there is the old joke about prices:

Sign in the specialty meats market:
Physicist Brain $0.10/lb.
Politician Brain $100.00/lb.

"Why the big price difference"
"Do you know how many politicians you have to round up to get a pound?"

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And you do need to adapt Apicius a little for modern tastes.

Why? We tried the poultry with mint and honey and celery seed and vinegar in the crock pot this weekend and it was wonderful! [Yipee]

David
does not, however, find dormice for sale at the grocer's

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
David
does not, however, find dormice for sale at the grocer's

There used to be a farm in the south of England that would sell you edible dormice, complete with a hazelnut stuffing. However, they cost about 60 pounds for a small batch.
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

I do still plan on posting or sending these recipes.

Soon. Yes, really... [Embarrassed]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016